Five things to watch: SEMO opens OVC play against Eddie George, Tennessee StateTom Matukewicz, the Southeast Missouri State head man who’s helped turn the Redhawks into a consistent Ohio Valley Conference contender, has had better years. The pandemic did no favors for SEMO and...
Bernie fights off young Puxico squad early en route to 3-1 SCAA volleyball victoryBERNIE — The young Puxico Indians gave Bernie fits for much of their SCAA volleyball match Thursday night at Bernie High School. The Mules fell behind in the first two games before finishing strong...
Portageville has "built a bully" in its quest to run the footballThe Portageville football team fell behind early in its recent 30-16 loss at Scott City, which forced the Bulldogs to take to the air offensively, which they did with some success.
Pressure is on Kelly softball and the Hawks are respondingThere is no high school softball program in the state of Missouri that can match the success achieved by Kelly High School.
- Cape's Megan Maxton bringing strength, confidence to tennis courts this fall
- Swimming Roundup Sept. 23: Poplar Bluff tops Farmington
- Sullivan sparks Poplar Bluff offense in win over East Carter
- Poplar Bluff edges Sikeston in 2nd OT after close call
- Boys Soccer Roundup, Sept. 23: Boland’s two goals lead Saxony Lutheran past Farmington
- Softball Roundup, Sept. 23: Ki Bogan’s big day at the plate leads Cape Central over Jefferson (Festus)
- Girls Tennis Roundup, Sept. 23: Dexter routs Caruthersville 9-0
- Volleyball Roundup, Sept. 23: Scott City improves to 9-4-1 with four-set win over Sikeston
- SEMO notebook: Bryson Donnell has been a steady presence for changing Redhawks defense 1
- Road back for Sikeston VB to get tougher
- Cross Country Roundup, Sept. 22: Van Buren's Griffin avenges recent runner-up finish to Dexter's Brown, wins home race 3
- Neelyville's Dixie Cloud gets 7 strikeouts, 4 RBIs in win
- Softball Roundup, Sept. 22: Notre Dame gets home runs from both Burnett's as Bulldogs smash Festus, 13-1 1
- Sikeston Bulldogs soccer team to host Kick-a-Thon Saturday
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Cooper Callis matches school record with 6 touchdown passes 1
- Standard Democrat Week 5 Football Preview: Sikeston faces top-ranked Jackson
- Girls Tennis Roundup, Sept. 22: Jackson picked up its 11th victory of the season with a 7-2 triumph over Mehlville on Wednesday.
- Boys Soccer Roundup, Sept. 22: Perryville rolls against Seckman, 6-1
- Semoball volleyball top 10: Woodland takes No. 1 spot in inaugural poll
- Volleyball Roundup, Sept. 22: Cape Central shakes off early deficit, comes back to beat Scott City
- Indians roll: Jackson shuts out Cape Central for third straight year (9/18/21)6
- Jackson inducts inaugural Hall of Fame class (9/18/21)3
- Former Jackson stars Tollison and Norman to reunite when SEMO visits Mizzou (9/17/21)
- Former Jackson FB coach applying lessons learned in Ste. Genevieve (9/20/21)
- She's a Tiger: Cape Central senior Tambria Wilson wants to play football beyond high school (9/15/21)
Poplar Bluff football team manager was back on sideline after being named homecoming queenAddison Kirkman has been a fixture on the sideline at Poplar Bluff football games the last few seasons, serving as a team manager. So after the senior was named homecoming queen Friday night, there she was in a full-length dress wearing her tiara while handing out water bottles during a timeout...
Poplar Bluff football team faces first road test of the season (9/23/21)Looking for a Week 5 opponent to fill out the schedule, Poplar Bluff football coach David Sievers was looking for a good test for his team. “We had a couple of other opportunities and I just thought we didn’t need an over-by-halftime game in the middle of the seaosn,” Sievers recalled. “That’s why I was excited we got these guys on the schedule...
Bell City wins third-straight behind big night by Asher, Bowling (9/22/21)BELL CITY — A big game by Bell City’s middle blockers propelled the Cubs to victory Tuesday night at Bell City High School. The Cubs overcame a seven-point deficit in the second game en route to a 26-24, 25-21, 25-16 win over Leopold to record their third-straight victory...
SE Missourian Week 5 football preview: Jackson looks to extend winning streak to 19 straight (9/22/21)The Jackson Indians look to increase their winning streak to 19 games on Friday night when they host Sikeston in a SEMO North Conference tilt. The Indians (4-0) are coming off a 48-0 win over rival Cape Central where eight different running backs carried the ball for a total of 311 yards and five touchdowns...
SEMO midfielder Abby Tremain preserving the memory of the late Meg HerndonIt’s been nine years since the most devastating phone call of her career, but longtime Southeast Missouri State soccer coach Heather Nelson is often reminded of the late Meg Herndon. A selfless, grind-it-out approach evokes memories of the auburn-haired defender...
SEMO's Laney Malloy named AVCA National Player of the WeekAwards continue to roll in for Laney Malloy. The standout Southeast Missouri State senior outside hitter was named the American Volleyball Coaches Association National Player of the Week on Tuesday. Malloy, who also earned Ohio Valley Conference Offensive Player of the Week distinction, total 45 kills in the Redhawks' recent home tournament sweep of Tulsa, Southern Illinois and Central Arkansas. She was named tournament MVP...
SEMO roundup: Redhawks volleyball, soccer head into OVC play on a high noteSoutheast Missouri State volleyball will have a full head of steam when it enters Ohio Valley Conference play on Friday at Tennessee State. SEMO (9-3) won each of its Redhawks Invitational matches on over the weekend in convincing fashion, dropping just a single set in wins over Tulsa, Southern Illinois and Central Arkansas...
Analysis: Mizzou was superior, but SEMO's defensive struggles continue in 59-28 lossCOLUMBIA, Mo. - By the time the Mizzou marching band broke into its rendition of AJR's "Bang" at Memorial Stadium, its hit chorus matched the Tigers' first three drives against a visibly outclassed Southeast Missouri State. Bang. Bang. Bang. It took Mizzou all of 17 first-quarter plays for the nation's all-purpose yards leader, Tyler Badie, to score on a 49-yard touchdown, a 11-yard reception and for preseason All-SEC quarterback Connor Bazelak to hit D'ionte Smith on a 46-yard scoring strike...
Gene Bess celebrated for accomplishments as coach, teacher (9/13/21)When the Poplar Bluff Sports Hall of Fame inducted Three Rivers College basketball coach Gene Bess in 1983, he had 370 wins. As decades passed and Bess kept setting records, the irony of the outdated bronze tribute was not lost on the Poplar Bluff community...
Heartland Youth Football athletes open season with jamboree (9/13/21)An over-flowing parking lot, RV’s, grills, lawn chairs, televisions and hundreds of fans would make one think Dexter High School was being taken over by a college football game Saturday. In reality Charles Bland Stadium was invaded by the Heartland Youth Football League. The eight team league was initially scheduled to be playing the jamboree at Kelly High School, but a late scheduling conflict forced the move to Dexter...
Local church to celebrate Gene Bess (9/7/21)Delayed by COVID-19, former Three Rivers men’s basketball coach Gene Bess is getting a well-earned retirement celebration. Mt. Calvary Powerhouse Church, where many of Bess’ former players attended services during his 50-year career at Three Rivers, is celebrating Bess at 5 p.m., Sept. 11...
ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: After delay, Kameron Misner makes Double-A debut (9/1/21)Kameron Misner made his Double-A debut on Tuesday. The Poplar Bluff alum was recently called up to the Pensacola Blue Wahoos after playing the first five months of the year in High-A ball for the Beloit Snappers. While it was a quiet debut — he was 0 for 3 with a walk and a strikeout — Misner was on a tear during August...
Goldschmidt homers twice, Cards beat Brewers for 12th in row (09/23 7:14 pm)MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Paul Goldschmidt homered twice, and the St. Louis Cardinals overcame a five-run deficit to beat the Milwaukee Brewers 8-5 Thursday and extend their longest winning streak in 39 years to 12 games. On a day Adam Wainwright faltered...
Cardinals' Adam Wainwright reaches 2,000 strikeouts (09/23 3:05 pm)MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Adam Wainwright joined Hall of Famer Bob Gibson as the only St. Louis Cardinals' pitchers with 2,000 strikeouts, fanning Milwaukee's Luis Urias in the fourth inning Thursday. The 40-year-old right-hander became the ninth active...
Cards win 11th in row, best streak since 2001; stall Brewers (09/22 11:06 pm)MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Paul Goldschmidt and Tyler O'Neill homered as the St. Louis Cardinals won their 11th straight game, extending their lead for the second NL wild-card spot and beating the division-leading Milwaukee Brewers 10-2 Wednesday night....
Cards win 10th in row, beat Brewers to extend wild-card lead (09/22 1:15 am)MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Cardinals closer Giovanny Gallegos fanned pinch-hitter Pablo Reyes with the bases loaded for the final out and St. Louis won its 10th straight game, increasing its lead in the playoff chase by holding off the division-leading...
LEADING OFF: Key showdown at Fenway, Cards on 12G streak (09/24 1:27 am)A look at what's happening around the majors today: ------ WILD, WILD EAST Yankees ace Gerrit Cole starts the opener of a crucial three-game series at Fenway Park with the Red Sox two games ahead of New York for the top AL wild card. Boston has won...
White Sox clinch AL Central title for 1st time since 2008 (09/24 12:26 am)CHICAGO (AP) -- The Chicago White Sox clinched their first AL Central title since 2008 with a 7-2 win over the Cleveland Indians in a doubleheader opener Thursday behind two home runs by Tim Anderson. Chicago, in its first season under 76-year-old...
This Date in Baseball (09/23 2:24 pm)Sept. 24 1940 -- Jimmie Foxx of the Red Sox hit his 500th career home run off Philadelphia's George Caster in the first game of a doubleheader at Shibe Park. Foxx's homer came in the sixth inning after Ted Williams homered. Joe Cronin followed with...
MLB, union send notices of intent to seek labor changes (09/23 12:21 pm)NEW YORK (AP) -- Major League Baseball and the players' association sent the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service letters of intent to seek new labor terms as the Dec. 1 expiration of the sport's collective bargaining agreement approaches. The...
Chargers, Chiefs trying to stay out of AFC West cellar (09/23 3:21 pm)KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- You'd be hard pressed to find anyone a couple of weeks ago that didn't think Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs were headed for their sixth consecutive AFC West championship this season. It would have been just as...
Chiefs confident Edwards-Helaire can turn around ground game (09/23 12:21 pm)KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- There were eyebrows raised across the league for two very different reasons when Kansas City Chiefs general manager Brett Veach spent a first-round pick on running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire last year. The first reason: The...
Chiefs welcome Chargers for important early AFC West game (09/23 11:54 am)LOS ANGELES CHARGERS (1-1) at KANSAS CITY (1-1) Sunday, 1 p.m. EDT, CBS OPENING LINE: Chiefs by 6 1/2, according to FanDuel SportsBook. AGAINST THE SPREAD: Los Angeles 1-1; Kansas City 1-1. SERIES RECORD: Chiefs lead 64-57-1. LAST MEETING: Chargers...
Blues promote Peter Chiarelli, Ken Hitchock returns (09/22 4:37 pm)ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Stanley Cup-winning general manager Peter Chiarelli has been promoted to vice president of hockey operations for the St. Louis Blues, who also brought back Ken Hitchcock as a coaching consultant. Former VP of hockey operations Dave...
Chiefs defense searching for answers after loss to Ravens (09/22 2:00 pm)KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Chiefs defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo has a lot on his mind these days. He needs to find some sort of pass rush, which has been unable to generate pressure on the Browns' Baker Mayfield in Week 1 and the Ravens' Lamar...
Friday, Sept. 24
Top 25 College Football
- No. 22. Fresno State vs. UNLV, 9 p.m.
- St. Louis at Chicago Cubs, 2:20 p.m., 1st game
- Pittsburgh at Philadelphia, 6:05 p.m.
- Texas at Baltimore, 6:05 p.m.
- Chicago White Sox at Cleveland, 6:10 p.m.
- Kansas City at Detroit, 6:10 p.m.
- Miami at Tampa Bay, 6:10 p.m.
- N.Y. Yankees at Boston, 6:10 p.m.
- Washington at Cincinnati, 6:10 p.m.
- St. Louis at Chicago Cubs, 8:05 p.m., 2nd game
- N.Y. Mets at Milwaukee, 7:10 p.m.
- San Diego at Atlanta, 5:10 p.m., 1st game
- San Francisco at Colorado, 7:10 p.m.
- Toronto at Minnesota, 7:10 p.m.
- Seattle at L.A. Angels, 8:38 p.m.
- Houston at Oakland, 8:40 p.m.
- L.A. Dodgers at Arizona, 8:40 p.m.
- Atlanta at San Diego, 10:10 p.m., 2nd game
Last updated: 09/23 9:32 pm