Jackson may be on verge of offensive, season breakthroughThe calendar has turned for the Jackson boy’s basketball program from last season but the Indians find themselves in an eerily similar situation.
Naylor defense cools off Poplar BluffNAYLOR — After scoring a season-high 52 points in a win Saturday, the Poplar Bluff girls basketball team nearly matched its season-low point total Monday night. The Mules shot 21% from the field,...
BROTHER BATTLE: Brothers show intensity in a matchup against one anotherNEW MADRID, Mo. — If there was one regular-season game that New Madrid County Central girls basketball coach Toby Heeb had circled on his calendar, it was Jan. 18. A battle between two brothers ended...
AT LONG LAST: Former Sikeston Bulldog Parker Long excited, relieved to finally suit-up for SEMOCAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. — Checking in for the first time this season with 5:39 left in the first half Saturday, former Sikeston Bulldog Parker Long was more than happy to have a chance to play on a...
- Girls Basketball Roundup, Jan. 19: Advance's Below nets 24 enroute to rout of Charleston
- Boys basketball roundup, Jan. 19: Bernie makes free throws in overtime to beat Oran 50-48
- Kennett senior Adelynn Nelson signs to play softball at Missouri Baptist University
- Game times announced for SCAA Basketball Tournament
- Leadership lifts Dohogne, Notre Dame to an excellent start to the season 1
- Playing football made Jackson’s Cole Parker a stronger wrestler 1
- Oran battles in loss to Class 4 No. 1 Park Hills Central
- Parker makes Long awaited SEMO debut as Redhawks fall to Morehead State
- Taylor, Robertson win title as Poplar Bluff wrestlers place 3rd
- Jones dunks on Cape Central as NMCC improves to 10-0 1
- Sikeston Junior Varsity Basketball Roundup: Bulldogs nail 11 3-pointers in win over Park Hills Central 1
- Dexter named top seed for upcoming SCAA Basketball Tournament
- Poplar Bluff utilizes solid defense to snap six-game losing streak, beats Scott City 52-38
- Dexter girls bounce back from tough loss with 58-33 victory over Woodland
- State-ranked Campbell boys basketball squad increases win total to a dozen with key district win against Hayti 100-66
- Clarkton boys basketball squad beats nearby rival Gideon 52-44
- East Carter wins Yellow Sucker trophy
- Jackson senior hitter reaches for perfection in being the Southeast Missourian Volleyball Player of the Year
- Dexter boys rally from nine down to beat rival Bernie 52-39, win ninth straight
- "Tired" Thompson pitch perfect, SEMO women get 5th straight win
- Jackson senior hitter reaches for perfection in being the Southeast Missourian Volleyball Player of the Year (1/16/21)
- SPORTS DESK COMMENTARY: Two SEMO Conference teams headline the first power rankings of the season (1/15/21)10
- Jones dunks on Cape Central as NMCC improves to 10-0 (1/16/21)1
- Boys Basketball Roundup, Jan. 17: Kelly upends Chaffee, gains road win (1/16/21)1
- Local basketball teams remain ranked in latest MBCA state poll (1/13/21)
Boys Basketball Roundup, Jan. 17: Kelly upends Chaffee, gains road winThe Kelly Hawks picked up a road win Friday by beating an upstart Chaffee team 60-54, improving their season record to 7-7. Kelly, who had previously only won one of their last 4 games, got a game-high 24 points from junior Gavin Jansen, who recently picked up his 1,000th career point this past week...
Wrestling Roundup, Jan. 16: Morgan, Simpson go undefeated for Dexter in Sullivan meet (1/16/21)Andrew Morgan and Kolin Simpson went undefeated Friday night, as the Dexter wrestling team competed in the Friday Night Takedown at Sullivan. In the 285-pound division, Simpson pinned St. James’ Tyler Skaggs in 10 seconds and Jeremiah Rodriguez, of Sullivan, in 3:24...
Slow start, rebounding holds back Poplar Bluff boys in loss to Kirkwood (1/16/21)By BRIAN ROSENER Sports Editor O’FALLON, Mo. — The Poplar Bluff boys basketball team couldn’t overcome Kirkwood’s size and a rough start Friday night in the championship game of the Rotating Eight Tournament. The Pioneers finished with 17 more rebounds than Poplar Bluff and had nine second-chance points in a 47-39 win over the Mules at Ft. Zumwalt West...
SPORTS DESK COMMENTARY: Two SEMO Conference teams headline the first power rankings of the season (1/15/21)Drum roll, please. After seeing a lot of chatter on who the top-10 boys and girls basketball teams are in the region, I have put together a list of who I think deserves to be mentioned. Here is the absolutely accurate (see the sarcasm) boys’ list: New Madrid County Central (9-0)...
SEMO basketball returns to the court after long layoffThe Southeast Missouri State men’s basketball team returns to the court after pausing activities for a week to take on Morehead State on Saturday at 4 p.m. at the Show Me Center. The game was originally slated for Feb. 19 but was moved to Saturday to fill a slot vacated by Austin Peay, which was supposed to come to town.
Thompson explodes, Saine sets record, SEMO women get 4th straight win, 69-53Murray State is the top-scoring team in the Ohio Valley Conference but when the Racers score less than 60 points per game, they always lose.
SEMO wide receiver is a 'mean' player that has big shoes to fillWhen former Southeast Missouri State all-everything wide receiver Kristian Wilkerson graduated a year ago and took his 219 career receptions with him, it left a hole the size of Houck Stadium in the Redhawks’ offensive statistics.
Back at it: SEMO Football opens 2021 spring seasonIn an incredible act of irony, as the FBS college football season came to a close on Monday with Alabama and Ohio State competing for a national championship, programs at the FCS level were opening their training camps.
Cardinals, Flaherty still without deal, swap arb figures (01/15 10:47 pm)ST. LOUIS (AP) -- The St. Louis Cardinals and ace Jack Flaherty have not agreed to terms on a 2021 contract and they swapped figures for salary arbitration Friday. The 25-year-old Flaherty asked for $3.9 million and the team offered $3 million. The...
Phillies acquire CJ Chatham from Red Sox (01/18 8:37 pm)PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Phillies acquired infielder C.J. Chatham from the Boston Red Sox on Monday for a player to be named or cash. Chatham hit .298 with 14 home runs and a .739 OPS in 266 minor league games. He batted .302 with two home runs in...
MLB Calendar (01/18 11:58 am)Jan. 26 -- Hall of Fame Baseball Writers' Association of America voting announced, 6 p.m. Feb. 1-19 -- Salary arbitration hearings. Feb. 17 -- Voluntary reporting date for pitchers, catchers and injured players. Feb. 22 -- Voluntary reporting date...
Lindor, Bryant, Bellinger, Seager get big-money deals (01/16 1:07 am)NEW YORK (AP) -- Francisco Lindor, Kris Bryant, Cody Bellinger and Corey Seager were among 112 players who agreed to one-year contracts Friday, leaving just 13 to swap salary arbitration figures during a slow offseason in the aftermath of the...
Remaining Free Agents (01/15 9:08 pm)NEW YORK (AP) -- The 160 remaining free agents (q-rejected qualifying offer): BALTIMORE (2) --Bryan Holaday, c; Wade LeBlanc, lhp. BOSTON (4) -- Jackie Bradley Jr., of; Rusney Castillo, of; Collin McHugh, rhp; Martin Pérez, lhp. CHICAGO (4) -- Alex...
#HenneThingIsPossible as Chiefs look toward AFC title game (01/19 1:00 pm)KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- The 35-year-old journeyman quarterback that made the two plucky plays in the final minutes of regulation that helped get the Kansas City Chiefs into the AFC championship game was fortunate to even be on the team. Chad Henne...
Kyrou's goal lifts Blues to 5-4 comeback win over Sharks (01/18 10:51 pm)ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Jordan Kyrou got the tiebreaking goal midway through the third period, Justin Faulk scored twice and the St. Louis Blues rallied to beat the San Jose Sharks 5-4 Monday night. Mike Hoffman scored his first goal as a Blue and Brayden...
Chiefs' Reid: QB Mahomes 'doing good' after concussion (01/17 8:53 pm)KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Patrick Mahomes had enough wits about him after a concussion knocked the star quarterback from the Kansas City Chiefs' divisional-round playoff win over the Cleveland Browns to get a rather clever hashtag trending on...
After losing Mahomes, Chiefs and Henne hold off Browns 22-17 (01/17 8:13 pm)KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- The Kansas City Chiefs had lost Patrick Mahomes to a concussion and were in danger of losing the game. Then their defense and Chad Henne -- their defense and Chad Henne?! -- along with a gutsy call by Andy Reid kept their...
Browns have Conklin, Chiefs without Edwards-Helaire (01/17 12:57 pm)KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire is inactive for the Kansas City Chiefs for their divisional playoff game against the Cleveland Browns, taking one dynamic playmaker away from Patrick Mahomes and the defending Super Bowl...
Tuesday, Jan. 19
Top 25 Men's Basketball
- No. 3 Villanova vs. Seton, Hall 9 p.m.
- No. 6 Tennessee at Florida, 6 p.m.
- No. 7 Michigan vs. Maryland, 6 p.m.
- No. 15 Ohio St. vs. Purdue, 5:30 p.m.
- No. 18 Alabama at LSU, 8 p.m.
- No. 19 Missouri vs. South Carolina, 6 p.m.
- No. 22 Illinois vs. Penn St., 7:30 p.m.
Top 25 Women's Basketball
- No. 3 UConn vs. Butler, 5:30 p.m.
- No. 23 Syracuse vs. North Carolina, Noon
- No. 24 Iowa St. vs. Oklahoma, 6:30 p.m.
- New Orleans at Utah, 8 p.m.
- Oklahoma City at Denver, 8 p.m.
- New Jersey at N.Y. Rangers, 6 p.m.
- Buffalo at Philadelphia, 6 p.m.
- Chicago at Florida, 6 p.m.
- Washington at Pittsburgh, 6 p.m.
- Winnepeg at Ottawa, 6 p.m.
- Columbus at Detroit, 6:30 p.m.
- Carolina at Nashville, 7 p.m.
- Colorado at Los Angeles, 9 p.m.
Last updated: 01/19 9:02 am