Perryville softball headed to state semifinals with win over St. Charles WestThe Perryville softball team punched its ticket to the Class 3 state semifinals berth, taking down St. Charles West on Wednesday. The Pirates beat the Warriors 10-4 at Perryville Park. Perryville...
Notre Dame downs Jackson, wins SEMO Conference titleLoud and gleeful chants from a sizable Notre Dame crowd echoed through Harry L. Crisp Field on Wednesday night, signaling a SEMO Conference championship. The Bulldogs had just dispatched defending...
East Carter advances to C1 quarterfinal as Moore fans 11 no-hitterELLSINORE — There was no rally needed this time for the Redbirds, but East Carter did manage to win with a walk-off hit Wednesday. Rylee O’Dell ended the game with no outs in the fifth on a hit over...
Young Kelly squad shows growth in tough postseason lossBENTON – The Kelly High School softball team played beyond its experience in Wednesday’s 2-1 loss to Iberia in the MSHSAA Class 2 Quarterfinal.
- State-ranked Hillsboro presents Poplar Bluff football team with final test before postseason
- Semoball Volleyball Top 10: Final regular season poll
- Q&A: Capahas legend Jason Chavez excited for National Semi-Pro Hall of Fame induction
- Southeast Missourian Week 9 football preview: Scott City seeks sixth straight win
- Conference queens: Jackson downs Notre Dame to win its third straight SEMO Conference championship
- Jackson's Kaydi Rhodes finishes fifth, Indians take third at Class 4 state golf championships
- Woodland's Rouggley beats doubt, others in winning Heartland XC title
- Woodland runner keeps memory of loss fresh in his mind en route to Heartland title
- After comeback wins, East Carter softball returns to state playoffs hosting C1 sectional
- Poplar Bluff softball team faces Parkway South in C5 quarterfinal Thursday 1
- Poplar Bluff swimmers tie Farmington on lineup set by seniors
- Volleyball Roundup, Oct. 20: Clearwater loses last regular season game to Winona
- SEMO Prep splits preseason matchups over the weekend
- SEMO men fourth, women sixth in OVC hoops poll
- Volleyball Roundup, Oct 19: Advance routs St. Vincent on senior night
- Notre Dame soccer too much for Sikeston
- Malden-Dexter football game canceled; Dexter will host first-round district game 1
- Jackson volleyball takes north division's top seed into SEMO Conference bracket play
- Mules fend off Notre Dame after Zgaynor's grand slam as Poplar Bluff wins C5D1 softball title
- Reeves Review: Jackson learns lessons in tough win over Lions 4
- Drenched warfare: Indians defeat Cardinal Ritter in rain-soaked rematch (10/15/21)
- Longtime Leopold volleyball coach Sandy Davis enjoying her final matches before retirement (10/15/21)1
- Notre Dame topples top-seeded Indians to advance to C5D1 championship (10/15/21)1
- Bullock experiencing emotions as he 'makes an impact' in Malden (10/15/21)
- Cardinals fire Mike Shildt over 'philosophical differences' (10/14/21)2
Jackson girls golf sits in third place after first round of state championshipsThe Jackson girls golf team sits in third place after the first day of the MSHSAA Class 4 state championships at Rivercut Golf Course in Springfield, Mo. The Indians — led by Tennessee Tech-bound Kaydi Rhodes who is tied for fourth place after shooting 3-over 75 — are 36 strokes behind first-place Liberty North...
Poplar Bluff VB 'communicates' in tourney sweep of Sikeston (10/19/21)CAPE GIRARDEAU – Things haven’t always gone smoothly this volleyball season for Poplar Bluff. The Mules (8-20-1) have endured two seven-game stretches in which they didn’t win a match. However, Coach Aimie Parkin’s squad looked more than solid on Monday, as they swept Sikeston 2-0 on the opening night of pool play in the SEMO Conference Tournament at the Cape Girardeau SportsPlex.
Scott City VB takes small picture approach in W over Kennett (10/19/21)CAPE GIRARDEAU – Scott City is amid a strong volleyball season having won the most regular-season games (16-8-2) in four seasons, while still having four matches remaining. This could be the most successful season in over a decade after the Rams finished 30-1-1 in 2011. However, of late, Scott City has struggled – relatively speaking.
Volleyball Roundup, Oct. 18: Meadow Heights wraps up regular season with win over Bell City (10/19/21)Meadow Heights won a close one on Monday night to wrap up its regular season, beating Bell City 25-12, 25-19, 21-25, 28-26 on the road. The Panthers, who have won eight in a row heading into district play, got a solid game from senior Kambri Erzfeld (11 kills, 15 digs, two aces) and Ashley Allen (37 assists, 21 digs, one kill)...
Redhawks roundup: Beasley's efforts big in seven-game win streakZoey Beasley has had a big hand in SEMO's recent surge. The junior outside hitter had 21 kills in the Redhawks' weekend sweep of Southern Illinois-Edwards, extending their win streak to seven. Beasley, who has a .333 hitting average the past three games, earned back-to-back Ohio Valley Conference Offensive Player of the Week honors for efforts...
Analysis: Murray State sinks SEMO with new QB, game-winning field goalIf Southeast Missouri State can take any solace from Saturday's gut-punching 32-31 loss to Murray State, it's that it didn't count. Not in the Ohio Valley Conference standings, anyway. Racers sophomore quarterback D.J. Williams — making his first collegiate start — orchestrated a six-play, 84-yard drive in the final 62 seconds, an effort capped by Aaron Baum's 35-yard game-winning field goal that took the air out of a half-filled-because-of-stadium-conditions Houck Field...
SEMO volleyball continues tear, dumps SIUE
SOCCER: Ex-Jackson duo helps SEMO edge Eastern IllinoisFormer Jackson standouts Katelyn Miller and Lauren Welker helped SEMO edge Eastern Illinois 1-0 on Thursday at Houck Field. Miller scored in the second minute on an assist from Welker and the Redhawks’ defense did the rest. SEMO improved to 5-8-0 and 2-3-0 in Ohio Valley Conference play, dropping EIU to 3-8-2 and 1-3-1 in OVC...
SEMO Prep splits preseason matchups over the weekend (10/20/21)SEMO Prep's Team White coach Johnny Dancy was satisfied with how his team performed on Saturday when the Huskies visited Crowley Ridge College in Paragould, Ark., for a pair of preseason matchups. In its first game, SEMO Prep rolled past Faith Prep out of Memphis, Tenn., 111-72...
Trio of local runners finish Boston Marathon (10/13/21)More than 20,000 runners from all over the world took to the streets of Boston on Monday to run the city's 125th marathon after almost a two-year hiatus because of the pandemic. Three of those runners are from the local running community. Carol Winter of Uniontown, Missouri, and Andrew Johnson and Joe Windeknecht of Cape Girardeau said they have each run the Boston Marathon and other races many times. Winter and Johnson have completed it seven times now and Windeknecht has done it eight times...
SEMO Prep Huskies begin inaugural season 2-1 (10/12/21)SEMO Prep School went 2-1 in its first set of games, as program director Roy Booker's Red Team traveled to Vincennes University in Indiana and played a trio of games. The Huskies took on Dohn Prep out of Cincinnati, Ohio in the first game, winning 54-46...
Area anglers win big at King Kat Tournament in Cape Girardeau (9/29/21)Catfish anglers from several different states descended on Cape Girardeau this past weekend in hopes of bringing home a portion of the $20,260 in cash and prizes at the King Kat Tournament Trail event presented by Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's. In addition to cash and prizes, 13 teams competed for a spot in the year-end King Kat Classic Championship held in November on the Red River in Natchitoches, La...
Cardinals fire Mike Shildt over 'philosophical differences' (10/14 3:46 pm)The Cardinals fired former National League manager of the year Mike Shildt over organizational differences Thursday, just one week after St. Louis lost to the Los Angeles Dodgers on a walk-off homer in the wild-card game. Cardinals president John...
LEADING OFF: LA homecoming for Braves' Fried in NLCS Game 5 (10/21 12:10 am)A look at what's happening around the majors on Thursday: ------ ALL EYES ON LA In the only playoff game of the night, the Atlanta Braves can win their first pennant in 22 years with a victory in Game 5 of the NL Championship Series at Dodger...
This Date in Baseball (10/20 9:01 am)Oct. 21 1973 -- Bert Campaneris and Reggie Jackson hit two-run homers in the third inning, powering the Oakland A's past the New York Mets 5-2 in Game 7 of the World Series. It was the second straight World Championship for the A's. 1975 -- Carlton...
LEADING OFF: Curious pitching strategy in playoffs all over (10/20 12:44 am)A look at what's happening around the majors on Wednesday: ------ PITCHING IN In a postseason already marked by curious pitching strategy, Julio Urias returns to his regular role in the rotation when the Los Angeles Dodgers play Atlanta in Game 4 of...
MLB qualifying offer price drops by $500,000 to $18.4M (10/19 9:20 pm)NEW YORK (AP) -- The price of a qualifying offer to Major League Baseball free agents dropped by $500,000 to $18.4 million, a sign of the slide in salaries. The figure is determined by the average of the top 125 major league contracts this year and...
Blues beat Golden Knights 3-1 to complete 3-0 trip (10/21 1:19 am)LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Vladimir Tarasenko's tenure with the St. Louis Blues was a hot topic during the offseason after he requested a trade earlier in the summer, and again after the team left the 29-year-old winger unprotected in the 2021 NHL Expansion...
Blues' Pavel Buchnevich suspended 2 games for headbutting (10/19 7:36 pm)NEW YORK (AP) -- St. Louis Blues winger Pavel Buchnevich has been suspended two games for headbutting Arizona Coyotes forward Lawson Crouse. Buchnevich was thrown out Monday night late in the first period for the headbutt. He'll miss the Blues'...
Kyrou, Kostin score 2 apiece in 2nd as Blues top Coyotes 7-4 (10/19 12:59 am)GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- Jordan Kyrou had two goals and two assists, and the St. Louis Blues scored five times in a 5:07 span of the second period for a 7-4 victory over Arizona in the Coyotes' home opener Monday night. "I want to be an impact...
Chiefs use defense -- say what? -- to handle Washington (10/18 3:03 pm)The Chiefs' much-maligned defense delivered its strongest performance of the season in a victory Sunday, holding Washington to 13 points and just 276 yards while delivering a shutout in the second half. The showing served as a dramatic turnaround...
Mahomes, Chiefs bounce back to beat Washington 31-13 (10/17 4:19 pm)LANDOVER, Md. (AP) -- Teammates approached Patrick Mahomes after his second interception in the first half and maybe the worst of his NFL career. They told him to keep being himself. Mahomes found himself in the second half, engineering three...
Thursday, Oct. 21
TOP 25 COLLEGE
- No. 21 SMU vs. Tulane, 6:30 p.m.
- Atlanta at Los Angeles, 7:08 p.m.
- Dallas at Atlanta, 6:30 p.m.
- Milwaukee at Miami, 7 p.m.
- L.A. Clippers at Golden State, 9 p.m.
- Carolina at Montreal, 6 p.m.
- Colorado at Florida, 6 p.m.
- N.Y. Islanders at Columbus, 6 p.m.
- San Jose at Ottawa, 6 p.m.
- Washington at New Jersey, 6 p.m.
- Calgary at Detroit, 6:30 p.m.
- Anaheim at Winnipeg, 7 p.m.
- N.Y. Rangers at Nashville, 7 p.m.
- Vancouver at Chicago, 7:30 p.m.
- Edmonton at Arizona, 9 p.m.
Last updated: 10/20 9:28 pm