COLUMN: Pandemics and local high school football have an interesting pastLocal high school football teams are currently trying to figure out how to play a season amid the coronavirus. Looking back just over 100 years ago and there are some similarities as high school...
Opening Day: SEMO players AND coaches 'are just excited' to be training againOne couldn’t fault seventh-year Southeast Missouri State football coach Tom Matukewicz if he would have woken up before sunrise Wednesday and sprinted down the stairs in a childlike fashion.
Timely hits, pitching lift First Midwest to Park Dept. Little League title, perfect seasonTrenton Lacy couldn’t avoid the tag, but his bases-clearing hit capped a five-run inning and his pitches found the mitt Wednesday night. Lacy, who struck out 10 on the mound, was within 10 feet of...
Cards' Yadier Molina says he tested positive for COVID-19ST. LOUIS (AP) — St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina says he’s one of the players on the team who tested positive for COVID-19. The nine-time All-Star revealed his results Tuesday in a...
- MSHSAA to allow schools not meeting in person to play
- Jackson football's Week 1 home game canceled, Tribe to open in Indiana
- Dexter graduate Garrison finds new position while playing D-I college volleyball 1
- Column: Few things in life are as special as the bond between teammates
- Jackson's Lane Crowden signs with Three Rivers
- Neelyville's Curtis Fowler signs with Kaskaskia
- Abby Turner earns unexpected scholarship from Three Rivers
- Coach Tuke looks ahead to Redhawks football in the COVID era
- ONE LAST RIDE: Howard’s late hit gives Charleston final tournament win of the season in Southern Invitational Series
- Good Sports: John Rice, the Capahas' "voice" 1
- Good Sports: Legendary roundball coach Ronnie Cookson reminisces (7/30/20)
- Column: Will SEMO play football this fall? Don't bet on it (7/31/20)2
- ONE LAST RIDE: Howard’s late hit gives Charleston final tournament win of the season in Southern Invitational Series (8/4/20)
- Senior softball game set for Saturday at Oran (7/30/20)
- Perryville football fortunes resting on (broader) shoulders of senior QB Evan Daugherty (8/1/20)
SuperFan - The Wisconsin Martins root for the Pack in Jackson (8/3/20)During this time of social distancing, the SuperFan series of articles focuses on fans who are geographically distant from the teams they support, who are fiercely loyal to a team outside the state of Missouri. Responses are edited for clarity and brevity...
Poplar Bluff football team finds season-opening opponent (8/3/20)It didn’t take Poplar Bluff R-1 Athletic Director Kent Keith long to find an opponent to open the Mules football season. A day after Keith learned Illinois was moving football to the spring and that Poplar Bluff’s season-opening game against O’Fallon was off, he had found a replacement...
Perryville football fortunes resting on (broader) shoulders of senior QB Evan Daugherty (8/1/20)Perryville High School football coach Blane Boss had a tough decision to make in the Pirates’ 2019 training camp when it came to the quarterback position.
Column: Will SEMO play football this fall? Don't bet on itOhio Valley Commissioner Beth DeBauche recently stated that the league could be addressing whether or not to play football following its Board of Presidents convening this past Wednesday.
Jimmy May's storied football career on hold - COVID postpones seasonScott City’s Jimmy May is still headed to Southwest Baptist University in Bolivar, Missouri this fall – but he’ll have to wait a bit before he plays in a competitive football game again. On Monday, the Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC) announced it will postpone football for all its member schools until spring 2021 “due to ongoing concerns of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic,” according to a release...
SEMO, OVC alters fall schedules, opposition for Olympic sportsEarlier this week, Ohio Valley Commissioner Beth DeBauche wasn’t ready to make any significant adjustments as it related to the 2020 football season. However, she did state that the OVC Board of Presidents would be meeting on July 22 and 29 and may be doing just that.
Timely hits, pitching lift First Midwest to Park Dept. Little League title, perfect season (8/6/20)Trenton Lacy couldn’t avoid the tag, but his bases-clearing hit capped a five-run inning and his pitches found the mitt Wednesday night. Lacy, who struck out 10 on the mound, was within 10 feet of home for an inside-the-park grand slam when he was tagged out. It was enough for First Midwest Bank to complete a perfect season with a 9-4 win over Sport Clips in the Poplar Bluff Park Department Little League Tournament championship...
Murphy hits walk-off home run to win Poplar Bluff's Sub-Junior League tournament (7/31/20)Poplar Bluff Realty leadoff hitter Molly Murphy stepped up to the plate with the score tied and one out in the bottom of the sixth inning. She was 0 for 2 in the Poplar Bluff Park Department Sub-Junior Tournament championship Thursday at McLane Park. Both balls hit hard but scooped up by the infield for throws to first base...
Castello's gives Sterling Insurance 1st loss for Civic League championship (7/30/20)POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. -- With steady hitting throughout the lineup, Castello's did what no team could do all season. Castello's put 19 runners on base throughout the Poplar Bluff Parks Department Civic League Tournament championship to beat previously undefeated Sterling Insurance 9-1 on Wednesday at McLane Park in Poplar Bluff...
Lucky 13 for the unstoppable Capahas (7/26/20)
Cardinals return to St. Louis, get in workout ahead of games (08/05 4:21 pm)The St. Louis Cardinals returned to the field for light workouts Wednesday, nearly a week after an outbreak of COVID-19 forced the club and its staff members to quarantine in Milwaukee and set the rest of their season into upheaval. Cardinals...
Cards' Yadier Molina says he tested positive for COVID-19 (08/04 4:26 pm)ST. LOUIS (AP) -- St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina says he's one of the players on the team who tested positive for COVID-19. The nine-time All-Star revealed his results Tuesday in a Spanish-language Instagram post. Soon afterward, the...
Pirates rally past Twins 6-5 to end 7-game losing streak (08/06 4:50 pm)PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Derek Shelton has said all the right things during the Pittsburgh Pirates' bumpy start, one marred by injuries that have ravaged the pitching staff and an offense that entered Thursday as the worst in the National League. The...
This Date in Baseball (08/06 9:19 am)Aug. 7 1907 -- Walter Johnson won the first of his 417 victories leading the Washington Senators to a 7-2 victory over the Cleveland Indians. 1922 -- Ken Williams of the St. Louis Browns hit two home runs in the sixth inning of rout over the...
LEADING OFF: Hitters slumping, cutdown day, Scherzer's exit (08/06 1:57 am)A look at what's happening around the majors today: OFF BASE Star hitters Christian Yelich, Gary Sanchez, Hunter Pence and others are slumping badly in a season where hitters across the majors are struggling to find base hits. The league-wide...
Calhoun's inside-the-park HR sparks D-backs past Astros 14-7 (08/06 12:17 am)PHOENIX (AP) -- Kole Calhoun hit his first career inside-the-park homer with the help of a crazy bounce, David Peralta had four RBIs and the Arizona Diamondbacks used a nine-run burst in the fourth inning to beat the Houston Astros 14-7 on Wednesday...
Chiefs eye Breeland suspension with confidence in young CBs (08/05 2:52 pm)KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- The Chiefs hope to know soon whether cornerback Bashaud Breeland will be suspended to start the season. General manager Brett Veach thinks they will be fine either way. Even before the veteran was arrested in South Carolina...
Chiefs' fortunate offseason helps with COVID-19 opt outs (08/04 4:00 pm)KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Kelechi Osemele was at a birthday party with his girlfriend in a park not long ago when his phone rang, and the two-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman ducked away from the noise to find out who was on the other end. It turned...
Kadri scores buzzer-beating goal as Avalanche beat Blues (08/02 8:53 pm)EDMONTON, Alberta (AP) -- Nazem Kadri scored a buzzer-beating power-play goal to give the Colorado Avalanche a 2-1 comeback victory over the defending Stanley Cup champion St. Louis Blues in Western Conference round-robin play Sunday night. Kadri's...
Twins beat Cardinals 3-0 in Rich Hill's smooth debut (07/29 11:15 pm)MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Coming off major surgery and currently the oldest pitcher in the major leagues, Rich Hill sure looked smooth and spry on the mound in his debut for Minnesota. His elbow? "It feels like it's 18 again," said Hill, who pitched five...
Donaldson goes deep as Twins top Cards 6-3 in home opener (07/28 11:09 pm)MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Josh Donaldson homered and drove in two runs in his Target Field debut with Minnesota, Jorge Polanco hit a two-run shot and the Twins beat the St. Louis Cardinals 6-3 in their home opener on Tuesday night. Homer Bailey (1-0)...
Thursday, Aug. 6
- Minnesota at Pittsburgh, 12:35 p.m.
- San Francisco at Colorado, 2:10 p.m.
- Texas at Oakland, 2:40 p.m.
- L.A. Angels at Seattle, 3:10 p.m.
- N.Y. Yankees at Philadelphia, 5:05 p.m.
- Cincinnati at Cleveland, 5:10 p.m.
- Chicago Cubs at Kansas City, 6:07 p.m.
- Houston at Arizona, 6:07 p.m.
- Toronto at Atlanta, 6:10 p.m.
- Baltimore at Miami, 6:35 p.m.
- Milwaukee at Chicago White Sox, 7:10 p.m.
- Detroit at St. Louis, ppd.
- Philadelphia at Miami, ppd.
At Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
- New Orleans at Sacramento, 12:30 p.m.
- Indiana at Phoenix, 3 p.m.
- Miami at Milwaukee, 3 p.m.
- L.A. Clippers at Dallas, 5:30 p.m.
- Portland at Denver, 7 p.m.
- L.A. Lakers at Houston, 8 p.m.
- Philadelphia vs. Washington, 3 p.m.
- Columbus vs. Toronto, 7 p.m.
At Edmonton, Alberta
- Minnesota vs. Vancouver, 1:30 p.m.
- St. Louis vs. Las Vegas, 5:30 p.m.
- Winnipeg vs. Calgary, 9:30 p.m.
at Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
- Orlando City vs. Minnesota United FC, 7 p.m.
At Bradenton, Fla.
- Seattle vs. Atlanta, 5 p.m.
- Connecticut vs. Dallas, 7 p.m.
- Chicago vs. Phoenix, 9 p.m.
Last updated: 08/06 9:04 am