Semoball

Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: Fire Coach Nutt?

Posted by datruth on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 7:09 PM:

what are your thoughts on "fire coach nutt"?, lets see what the fans think

Replies (550)

Still a bit early!

-- Posted by Haterade on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 8:33 PM
  • we've won more games this year in 9 games then we did last year in 20.. are we good? no but we are better and were young. the nutt's aren't good though

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 10:19 PM
  • last year 2 out of 4 of the first games were not against NAIA schools!

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 11:31 PM

Still to early! It's Semo! Not like this is the Mecca of college basketball! Give him a chance! Last seasons recruits are good, an and show he can land some higher talent. Add the commits for this season next year and we will improve more.

Next season he will have three recruiting classes that he signed and should fit his style of basketball! Give him another year and I could see these guys being a good team in the OVC again.

-- Posted by Haterade on Thu, Dec 15, 2011, at 10:44 AM

Don't fire Coach Nutt. I think he has this program on the rise. I think he's a good coach who has got some good recruits to come here, like Hoopsididitagain said. Tyler Stone is one heck of a player. I'm glad we got a hold of him.

-- Posted by Bobcat_#53 on Thu, Dec 15, 2011, at 5:06 PM
  • Besides NO ONE is going to steal the OVC out of Murray States death grip.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Fri, Dec 16, 2011, at 12:27 AM

Crazy question. He deserves a raise and contract extension.

-- Posted by bobby62914 on Fri, Dec 16, 2011, at 8:03 PM
  • LMAO..a raise and a contract extension. he just got one this summer after another losing season.

-- Posted by datruth on Fri, Dec 16, 2011, at 8:45 PM
  • it is now time to fire him. anyone else listen to his post game interviews.. criticizes every guard on the team except his own sons.. the two good recruits he signed, Wilkerson and Johnson never play so they'll transfer more than likely.. it's just time.. finish the year and if we don't get to 15 wins then send him out

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Mon, Dec 19, 2011, at 9:11 PM

He plays his kids too much!!! He needs to step back and evaluate his talent levels...

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Wed, Dec 21, 2011, at 1:09 PM

Sportsnerd your 100% correct about the kids from Memphis... They were the best recruits semo has had in a while and don't play a lick! They are definitely gone at the end of the season

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Wed, Dec 21, 2011, at 1:11 PM
  • I agree with you Sportsnerd and Harry_Callahan, he play the nutts to much! And his excuse when they dont play good is that they are hurt. If they are that hurt then dont play them! The freshman from Memphis are two of the top recuirts...best is Stone (he will still be there) but the other Nino and Wilkerson should leave because its in their best interest. @Sportsnerd listen to all his interviewz he is full of himself!

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Dec 21, 2011, at 1:37 PM
  • I am starting to feel the same way. I don't understand why he never plays Wilkerson and wilford. Johnson I can somewhat see because he's behind two possible all ovc selections. But the others I'm not so sure. Makes you wonder when you see Laquentin Miles and that kid from Michigan (can't remember his name) leading their teams in scoring and minutes...oh well it's still early I guess?

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Thu, Dec 22, 2011, at 3:04 PM
  • Derek Thompson is his name. and i was thinking that bout those kids who are out their winning and they had little to no clock at SEMO. Miles was the player of the game against SEMO when they played!

-- Posted by datruth on Thu, Dec 22, 2011, at 7:37 PM
  • I've herd Jacob Tolbert begins practice Monday as a walk on... anyone know if theres any truth to this?

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Wed, Dec 28, 2011, at 4:33 PM

SEMO played great last night. Defense really stepped it up. Great win to start off conference play.

-- Posted by Bobcat_#53 on Thu, Dec 29, 2011, at 11:59 AM

It doesn't matter. No real talent will ever sign with SEMO. Would they? The Show Me Center should be used to showcase high school basketball...it is the only real draw, B Ball wise.

-- Posted by Big Bro on Thu, Dec 29, 2011, at 5:06 PM
  • yea nerd Tolbert practiced with them today, i agree the Nutt boys are NAIA caliber at best. He doesnt start either Nutt and they beat MSU by 15.... doesnt take Phil Jackson to figure out who should be on the floor for semo. Wilkerson and Johnson should be playing 20 minutes a night.

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Thu, Dec 29, 2011, at 10:31 PM
  • yea nerd Tolbert practiced with them today, i agree the Nutt boys are NAIA caliber at best. He doesnt start either Nutt and they beat MSU by 15.... doesnt take Phil Jackson to figure out who should be on the floor for semo. Wilkerson and Johnson should be playing 20 minutes a night.

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Thu, Dec 29, 2011, at 10:34 PM
  • are practices available to the public to watch?

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 12:44 AM
  • yea practices are avaible for public most of the time.

-- Posted by datruth on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 10:08 AM
  • If those guys want to play then they need to earn it in practice!! They obviously arent giving the effort to get to play.

-- Posted by asuato on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 10:39 AM
  • what would it take for semo to get a big crowd to a game? I say they do a weekday home game free entry.. they don't need the money.. get a fan base in their, develop a home

crowd advantage type atmosphere, the players appreciate, fans see a good game, get excited and come back... plus when u get free entry.. you'd spend $$ for overpriced concession items and they still make

$$

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Jan 1, 2012, at 10:03 PM
  • he was only a .500 coach at Arkansas State why would he be any different at Semo. Hes got decent enough talent just cannot coach

-- Posted by tigergrad78 on Mon, Jan 2, 2012, at 11:17 AM
  • i have been to every home game except probably 2 games...and everytime the nutt's play more than 3 minutes a piece we lose...when they dont play more than 3 minutes a piece we win! and that is a fact

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Wed, Jan 4, 2012, at 6:27 PM
  • Nerd...that was literally the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Look up the box scores and see how many minutes they play in our wins...

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 12:42 AM
  • exaggeration.. they did by play much in our last two games compared to how much they were playing early on

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 11:25 AM
  • didnt*

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 11:25 AM
  • his sons suck period! look at box scores they whole carreer!

-- Posted by datruth on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 5:03 PM
  • Well they probably aren't playing as much because Nick and Brister have really stepped it up and are playing really good basketball. I still don't think Lucas is that bad.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 12:07 AM
  • I like Lucas in a reserve role Logan as emergency

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 1:01 AM
  • I really wish some fans would get on board and get the SMC looking like it did when schumann was there and garner's early years.. this team isnt bad, we're actually fairly good I'd say. I think we could be the second best team in the OVC but realistically we'll probably finish about 5th in the league. I do think things are on the upswing for us

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Wed, Jan 11, 2012, at 7:48 AM
  • @sportsnerd i agree that we should be a top team but why u tink we will finsh 5th?

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Jan 11, 2012, at 9:19 PM
  • If you've noticed, since this thread started, we have started winning. Any surprise it is because the Nutt's are seeing less and less playing time? I agree that we have a pretty decent team, but only when the Nutt's aren't in the game.

-- Posted by dukefan on Wed, Jan 11, 2012, at 10:03 PM
  • just a prediction, I ultimately think Murray, Austin peay, Morehead and Tennessee tech will be 1-4

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Thu, Jan 12, 2012, at 8:43 AM
  • I like the way our top 7 players are playing right now, but I'm fearful of our younger guys leaving the program. Hopefully they see that their time will come and stick it out. If so, I like the direction of this program. The hardest thing for a coach is to get his ENTIRE team to buy into what is happening.

-- Posted by dukefan on Thu, Jan 12, 2012, at 12:00 PM
  • @sportsnerd i agree that we wont finish where we should, i just wanted to see if we both agree why.

@dukefan yes we have started winning and the nutts are playings less. that is ta big factor

but atleast they winnin....bout time!

-- Posted by datruth on Thu, Jan 12, 2012, at 1:04 PM
  • semo playing no d or they just don't miss I haven't figured it out yet

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Thu, Jan 12, 2012, at 7:17 PM
  • Morehead will not be top 4. They lost one of their best players.

-- Posted by RCIR on Sat, Jan 14, 2012, at 12:58 PM
  • Posted by: datruth on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 5:03 PM

his sons suck period! look at box scores they whole carreer!

What is it about, "Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic." that you don't understand?

Coach Nutt has recruited better talent to this team than anyone has in the last ten years. His son's do a heck of a lot more for the team than what happens on the court. He recruits local talent and that local talent is getting better and better. Porter is coming into his own as is Niemchuk. For those who are posting and have not been to a SEMO game, go out and watch a team that is improving right in front of your eyes. In the end Coach Nutt and his family know it is all about the number of wins.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Sat, Jan 14, 2012, at 2:19 PM
  • they lost farrier by they have beat some good teams

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sat, Jan 14, 2012, at 5:03 PM
  • I agree with tigergrad about the coach, his techniques are a bit off, but the team is improving. Go Redhawks! I also agree with citizen cyborg about the talent Coach Nutt and his staff has brought to Semo. But the question I don't seem to understand is...This kid that Nutt recruited from Conner State with a 46 percent from the 3pt range and 83 percent from the free throw line, second team all american why is he sitting on the bench? I seen that someone mention that one of the nutt boys is doing pretty good, but does his stats equal up to the kid from Conner State? If so then I understand, but if not wilford needs more playing time,Even the second son goes in before he does.You have a good team, but remember you brought him here so let him play,even if its only 5 minutes.I feel that if you go out and recruit these young men from another school you should at least find it somewhere in the game plan to let them play! There shouldnt be any excuse on why they're not playing. I listen to Coach nutt interviews after the games and the announcer mentions waylon jones name and all the coach can say is sorry he didnt get a chance to play. Coach goes on and say what jones would say,Of course, he is going to say he fine, what do you want him to say? One of the articles said that all the players played except for Jones. Heartbreaker! When your winning by 17-20 points give the bench the last five mins!! Well, Coach Nutt I think if you take care of your players then your players will take care of you!!!

-- Posted by semofan17 on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 1:33 PM
  • I agree with semofan17 that Wilford should be playing more. I think the reason he isn't is his defense. When you watch you can see his lapses on defense. I'n like to see Nino Johnson play more also

-- Posted by SemoFan67 on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 2:15 PM
  • yes, it all about the number of wins...and a good year for Nutt is to win as many as he loses...so do we settle for this?...it's all about good coaching and recruiting, and sadly, we do not have very much of either.

-- Posted by sandybeach on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 9:38 PM
  • and by the way, where is "spur" ?....board is not the same without him (or her).

-- Posted by sandybeach on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 9:40 PM
  • Listening to the game Sat. night it was a terrible lost. But the Redhawks can overcome this lost and move forward. As for Wilford he was cold as ice! But this is what happens when they sit the bench and throwed in as a surprise to replace someone, their game is off. I know a player should be ready to play at all times. But in this case Coach Nutt if you dont use them you will lose them!!

-- Posted by semofan17 on Mon, Jan 23, 2012, at 8:18 AM
  • Hats off to Nino Johnson, for the shorts minutes he played, he done a great job!!! Keep up the good work. Those guards(wilford,wilkerson)Well the other nutts plays anyway, thats on the bench need to get some playing time so that when nick or marlon or that one nutt kid get hurt they won't be shock when they are called to get in. We need some strong guards. They should all rotate with a little playing time so that the Redhawks can dominate everywhere with everyone being unstoppable!!! Why didnt Waylon Jones get out there in get all in the player face that was 7 ft tall? Oh by the way no disrepect to the nutts boys I know their names are lucus and logan,but dont know them apart.

-- Posted by semofan17 on Mon, Jan 23, 2012, at 8:39 AM
  • Great win last night. Especially when you consider the team was playing short handed. I think Coach Nutt deserves some credit

-- Posted by SemoFan67 on Fri, Jan 27, 2012, at 8:29 AM
  • this team is no slouch.. I have one doubt though, 1 for this year one for next.. this years is our reserve post players don't have much if an offensive game do foul trouble could hurt us.. and next year we are going to miss marcus Brister more than anyone could ever imagine

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Fri, Jan 27, 2012, at 9:48 AM
  • Sportsnerd I agree about Brister. I hope some of the new recruits that are signed will be able to play point guard Brister is so much better this year that last year. He plays defense he's able to get to the basket and score when things break down. The offense seems to move and work better when he's in there. I think Nino Johnson will be just fine next year as far as offense goes and you will still have Stone. I don't know how good of a player Tolbert will be on the college level but he should add some offensive punch. I think Porter's offense will come around he's shown some flashes this year

-- Posted by SemoFan67 on Sat, Jan 28, 2012, at 8:40 AM

I have been thinking the same thing about missing Marcus Brister. He is an electrifying point guard, and can do lots of things to help the offense, such as dribble drive and dump it off to Stone and Powell, or take it all the way and finish himself. I haven't seen Lucas, or any of the other guards do that very well, it will hurt SEMO next year I think.

-- Posted by Bobcat_#53 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:00 PM

and hopefully Powell's knee is fine, I saw him go down late in the game last night. Anyone heard what was wrong?

-- Posted by Bobcat_#53 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:01 PM

Bobcat, i talked with someone who was there lastnight and helped him after the game. It was fortunely just an upper thigh cramp, nothing at all wrong with the knee, and he should be A ok.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:15 PM

thanks Buck, thats good news.

-- Posted by Bobcat_#53 on Sat, Feb 4, 2012, at 8:37 AM
  • It seems to me the Coach Nutt is going in the right direction.

-- Posted by statechamp on Sat, Feb 2, 2013, at 9:16 PM
  • I guess 1-7 in your last 8 games is the right direction? Smooth talking only takes you so far. Sooner or later you have to start winning. The end of the schedule doesn't look promising either. So it looks like it will have to be later.

-- Posted by lseed on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 3:16 PM

If you forgot like 3 years ago semo won less than 10 games on a pretty consistant basis so they are goin through a tough stretch... Its goin to be fine go ahead jump ship but next year is their year so dont try and jump back on next year... They have won more games every year Nutt has been there than the year before. When you are as small as semo and as bad as they were before nutt got there it takes awhile to turn it around give it time..

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 3:34 PM
  • In 13 years at Arky State he was 189-187. Worst part is, he is an underachieving coach. He is a smooth talker and it gets him good players but they dont ever play to their potential.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 11:55 PM
  • Coach Nutt has done a very good job with our program. How soon we forget.

-- Posted by TIDAL on Mon, Feb 4, 2013, at 6:53 AM
  • Yea, mediocrity in the OVC is fantastic. We should give him a raise.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Mon, Feb 4, 2013, at 7:44 AM
  • It wouldn't have mattered who they hired they had nowhere to go but up from where that program was.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Feb 4, 2013, at 8:58 AM
  • I think Coach Nutt has great basketball knowledge and is a very good coach. And he knows how to recruit. But the problem is that he doesn't recruit the type of kid it takes to win. Time to get some more high character kids who work as hard as they can at basketball and in school. Kids like Belmont has.

-- Posted by grizzfan93 on Mon, Feb 4, 2013, at 3:28 PM
  • Needs to look in his own back yard,might find some of those character kids.

-- Posted by objective fan on Mon, Feb 4, 2013, at 4:35 PM
  • Grizz, we have the best 1-2 combo in the post in the OVC and we are one of the worst rebounding teams in the OVC. We are also one of the worst defensive teams in the conference, allowing somewhere around 78 points a game. Terrible defense and rebounding are direct reflections of coaching.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Mon, Feb 4, 2013, at 5:45 PM
  • Our 1-2 punch doesn't have a sub. tolbert and Ferguson are it, and right now they aren't able to handle it. So our 1-2 punch doesn't play as hard as they can all the time knowing that. Next year after X-mas should reveal how good this team can be. Once all the recruits are eligible. Fans are slowly starting to come back, atmosphere is getting better.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Mon, Feb 4, 2013, at 8:34 PM
  • When you have 2 big men that are as good as Tyler and Nino, and you dont have anyone on the bench, dont you think you should make it a point to make sure that they are in good enough shape to play 40 minutes no problem? And if a player is loafing down the court regardless the reason, he should be enjoying the game beside the coach.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Mon, Feb 4, 2013, at 10:11 PM
  • Terry,

They're the worst at what you listed because of the character and attitude of the players. They're weak, soft, and lazy. Coach Nutt can't rebound and play defense for them. That doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.

-- Posted by grizzfan93 on Mon, Feb 4, 2013, at 10:44 PM
  • Guy has no control over his team! Time for SEMO to find a young coach! Give someone opportunity who wants to prove themselves instead of these .500 coaches who don't care! Look at what SIU did a few years ago, they had young coaches who proved themselves and moved up the food chain of coaching. Time for a change!

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Tue, Feb 5, 2013, at 5:00 PM
  • I am beginning to agree with Mr. Hicks. .500 coach and that is it. A young, highly motivated coach may be the ticket.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Tue, Feb 5, 2013, at 9:16 PM

People said the same thing about Mike anderson not having controll of his team when he was at Mizzou and the he got them to an elite 8... and if some things would have come together that didnt like a top post recruit bein eligable they would have had more sustained success in his tenure.. and even a poor in game coach like frank haith was able to take his guys and get a 2 seed.. The fact is that when you are tryin to turn a program around you have to take a few lower character players to get some talent in there.. Those guys dont come to Semo if they are high character.. So once again I say give it time.. it takes more time to take a school from absolutly horrid to a contender in any confrence

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 4:47 PM
  • Sonic, to compare a BCS confrence team to SEMO is a terrible comparison my friend. You call out Frank Haiths ingame coaching, yet you want to stick up for the worst have seen at this level??? Semo was up 10 at Mizzou at hf correct? Isnt hf a time for in game adjustments?? How about being up 9 at SIUE and Nutt goes to a box and 1 defense what happened??? 20-2 run I believe.......for SIUE. Who would you rather have at SEMO Frank Haith or Dicky Nutt?

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 5:01 PM

First off I didnt say Frank was better or worse than Him and that doesnt matter... Semo got one of the few people that would take this job... they cant afford Haith..but if semo fired him now all youd be doin is fired a guy that has made them at least somewhat relevent.. They were GOD AWFUL!!! You shouldnt fire a guy who made you better until he has had time to get all the people in the program that he wants right now its too early to fire him he took over a Really bad situation and made it reasonable again... matter of fact it was so bad nobody cared enough to talk about it now at least people are talkin about semo basketball

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 6:02 PM
  • Lol Sonic, one of the only few to want the job???? Please the guy who is at EIU right now applied twice and has a heck of a better bball back round than Dicky. You must be Logan or Lucas Nutt!? If you are Logan keep taking the boys down to the boat, if you are Lucas try cutting down on TURNOVERS please. Sonic about other night when Niņo was supposed to sit whole first hf for discipline reasons?? 11min left in hf here he comes! O and one last thing read about Gary Garners last few yrs, yeah he lost but he didn't have the tools or $$$ to recruit like Dicky does!

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 7:54 PM

... Im not a Nutt.. Also I personally think that you should give him another year or 2 thats all..

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 8:43 PM
  • To be a .500 coach like he was at ASU?? Makes sense! How come VCU has been successful for last 5 yrs?? 2 young Coaches were given a opportunity that's all I ask! Hopefully he'll quit on this team like he did at ASU!

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 9:05 PM

You do realise he made the tournament during his time there.. which is not something that has happened very often at Ark st. Haith didnt make a tournament while at Miami so... your point is moot. Also VCU has been successful for more than the last 5 years Shaka didnt turn that program around. They were good before he got there unlike Semo who was once again GOD AWFUL! Again all Im sayin is that it takes more time than youre willing to give dicky to turn a really really bad program around... So calm yourself and give it

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 11:26 PM

time

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 11:27 PM
  • In Haith's 7 years at Miami he made the NIT 4 times and the NCAA tourney 1 time.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 12:17 AM
  • Who has been to big dance more recently Semo or Dicky?? I believe Semo started OVC play 6-0(Brandon Foust blew knee out) about 6 yrs ago as well, if that's God Awful then I wonder what you say about teams who have never been to the dance? Hence why I said 2 young coaches at VCU Jeff Capel and Anthony Grant got it going and Shaka has kept it going. Since you seem to know Dicky personally, when is he going to quit midseason like he did at last job?

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 7:56 AM

I dont know dicky at all Ive heard him speak 1 time but that all I know I still hold that he deserved another year or 2 they have improved every year but this year and even then.. Michael Porter hasent played a game and he was one of the few backup post players so the starters loaf at times beecause they dont get many breaks... also 1 time making the big dance at an ACC school is not impressive especially they are better now that he's gone wheres Ark st they still suck

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 8:45 AM
  • Sonic you just don't understand do you. I don't understand what or why you keep bringing Frank Haith into discussion of why Dicky should be fired. But since you want to bring it up, how bout the coaching job Haith did last yr after one of his STARTERS went down??? 30-5 in the BIG 12?? I believe he holds a few wins over Coach K, who also has said great things about him as a coach. Miami is winning with 70pct of players Haith brought in! Finally look what has happened at Ole Miss when they got rid of a fake Nutt!??

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 9:22 AM
  • You do understand that Miami is winning with Haith's players right?

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 12:52 PM

I could have coached that Mizzou team to a record like that ... One of the best offensive teams in the nation with 4 shooters on the floor at all time.. Phil-will play in the NBA matt pressy-plays overseas may get a shot in the nexxt couple years. Marcus playin overseas right now will be in the NBA in the next 3 or 4 years. English plays for detroit was prolly the 3rd best player at besst for them last year. Cardo will be in the NBA shortly playin overseas currently and Mike May play in the NBA eveentually if his legal situation improves... so much talent so little success in the tournament

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 1:32 PM

Also Coach K isnt going to say something bad about a coach he has too much class.. but another coach who mizzou fans might recognise that coach k has said good things about is Quinn Snyder so...... Also I give credit to the New coach at Miami they have always had tons of talent at Miami which is why they can beat duke who isnt always super talented but well coached and they usually shoot the ball well. But Frank Haith didnt win with that talent so it doesnt matter.. I keep sayin good recuiter does not mean your a good coach

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 1:37 PM

Also where you see how good a coach is is how you run the offence and how hard you play on defense everthing else is up to the talent of players.. be and Semmo does both of those thing very well when they are at full strength..

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 1:43 PM

Oh and also what you fail too realise is that the year before last mizzou struggled. Why? because they were young just like SEMO is this year so like I said give it time. I picked semo to be competitivve this yeat which they are and to win the OVC next year

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 1:47 PM
  • If his record was that at ASU then what makes anybody think it will be any better at SEMO. He had plenty of time while at ASU to get the guys he wanted and to prove he could get it done.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 2:49 PM

Idk but if your main issue is how his teams preformed at ASU it then he shouldnt have been hired in the 1st place... but now that he's here I think he deserves a chance just like any other coach

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 4:19 PM
  • They showed signs of life tonite. Slow start, but actually played well together for once. Maybe they will be able to build on their effort tonight and carry it over to Saturday.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 9:36 PM

where as Mizzou...

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 10:51 PM
  • Sonic I hate to tell you but Matt Pressey isn't playing in the NBA.. neither are the other guys.. Haith isn't a good coach.. He continues to double team the post and allow the other teams guards to take open shots bc we are doubling the post. Our guards continue to go under screens to allow pull up 3's. and Pressey is out of control and has fallen from a lottery pick to being undrafted in Mock drafts.

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 11:26 PM
  • Matt Pressey and Ricardo Ratliffe will never play in the NBA.......ever....and giving Nutt who has coached 17 years of .500 basketball a couple more years are two of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on semoball.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 11:46 PM

Matt pressy has MANY ties in NBA organizations all over and was on a summer league team soo... kinda in a way he already has played in the NBA... And Ricardo will play in the NBA his only down side is his size but give it time he will be on an NBA roster soon enough... So Terry you said basketball around semo in cluding sikeston and charelston wasnt very good that is the most ridiculas thing I have ever seen on semoball by FAR... It doesnt matter what Nutt did a Ark st when he is at Semo different team different situation it would be different if he had 15 years of 500 ball at just semo

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 12:14 AM
  • Might be a different team and situation but the same results.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 9:53 AM
  • Sonic, there is no point in keeping this discussion going because everything you post is pure ignorance.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 10:51 AM

And what you post isnt... I know a little more about all these guys situations than you specially since you thought dixon was a sg... trust me Ive spent many hours looking up everything that has gone on with mizzou players since the end of the season and truth be told both of the guys you mentioned could be in tthe D league right now but they chose to go overseas and both of them have things that NBA teams like but they are both undersized if cardo developes a jumper and matt becomes a good 3 point shooter which he was in college they both will make rosters eventually

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 11:07 AM
  • summer league is a knock off and worse than the D-League so in no way has Matt Pressey ever played nor will be ever.. Denmon maybe

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 12:53 PM
  • I feel like Sonic is nailing just about everything on the head. Can you honestly say right now that dicky has the talent he needs to win on this team? At some point you can only blame a coach so much...how are you honestly supposed to recruit great players to a school like semo, especially when you have struggled for as long as we have? If Thompson and Miles hadn't left after their freshmen seasons we might be having a different conversation. I honestly don't know how dicky has won as many games with this team as he has. Are you honestly telling me that this team is as talented (besides nino and t stone) than any of the teams we have played? No shot. It's a miracle that were in double digit wins right now as it is IMO. Also doesn't help that the players we lost last year were probably the biggest impact players that dicky has brought in. It's tough to replace them.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 1:10 PM
  • I do think this team could be special if miles and Thompson were still here but then people that are here wouldn't be.. hard to judge the what ifs.. but yes I do think the talent level is good enough to win. we have a mizzou transfer, a 4 star pf, wilford was a juco all American, Jones was being courted by Mississippi state and Bama at one time.. there is talent everywhere

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 1:17 PM

I believe Reese, Payne, and the kid from Auburn will help out a lot next year to go along with the great returning pieces.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 3:11 PM
  • Have you looked at teams they have beat????

I don't believe its hard to dissect why they have 12 wins look no further than there RPI. 2 wins were against non division 1 teams. Wow HLG has dominated the NAIA world. Play the Cougars of Columbia College if you want to play a good NAIA team. If Sonic could coach last yrs Mizzou team to a 30-5 record then no doubt I could coach this SEMO team to more wins than Dickey. Have you seen OVC RPI outside of Murray and Belmont no one else is good in this conference yet everyone else seems to be getting better and Semo isnt. I mean you people drink the Dickey Kool-Aid of "well Eric the kids played hard just had some mistakes." Why don't we give all the players and Coaches a nice trophy at end of year for playing hard and trying hard. Lastly the coach decides who he puts on the floor and who he recruits so to tell me that in is 4 years he hasn't got his players is a joke!

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 4:35 PM
  • How AJ Jones was being recruited by SEC schools is beyond me...Wilford can shoot it a little there's no doubt. But other than that I just don't see the talent. Starting five, maybe...but beyond that there's not much. If nino or stone get in foul trouble, you have to play jones at the 4? Are you kidding me? He's 6'4. Also, we have nobody that can create their own shot. The difference this year and the years before is that Allison could create...brister could too...nobody on this team can. It makes a difference.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 5:55 PM
  • any word on what Nino did that violated team rules

-- Posted by uk2k on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 7:24 PM
  • This team has talent but no depth. Next year should be the year when u sit done and look at coach nutt. this year they got a juco all american, former mizzou player, top pf class of 2010, smith became semo's all time 3pt shooter, his son who has to be great with the mins hes gets lol. nick n. is a big time shooter. plus the aj kid use to be a big time player in memphis. so dont say this team doesnt have talent. after tyler and nino johnson they have a huge drop in post skill. And whoever said that this team doesnt have kids with good work ethic, well coach nutt is the one who signed them

-- Posted by datruth on Fri, Mar 1, 2013, at 5:33 PM
  • put the rumors to rest!! the last 3 days have secured his job

-- Posted by ThayerPops on Sat, Mar 2, 2013, at 11:58 PM
  • Coach Nutt has turned the program around, great guy, I hope he is a fixture here in Cape. Go Redhawks

-- Posted by Ur on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 10:50 AM
  • 1. it's semo, so good luck getting much better (until the u gives athletic department more money)

2. i love saying his name, so he better stay

-- Posted by V,B on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 11:09 PM
  • This team has had more talent than has been seen at SEMO for quite awhile. The frustrating thing was they were playing well below their potential. Also, losing Porter to injuries has been a huge blow both last year and this year. Well they played up to their potential the last two games and it was a pretty fun to watch. I wish more people from our area could have seen the last two games. SEMO broke the record for the most three pointers in the OVC against Austin Pea and tied the Division I record for most three pointers in a game. Then two days later they placed a butt whoopin on Murray State at Murray on their senior night. I am not saying they are the favorites in the OVC tournament because they have to win four games but they have the best chance in the last ten years of the program to be dancing in two weeks. If I was any other team in the OVC I would not want to be playing them right now. Watch the games on the OVC digital network and I imagine you might be shocked. Sorry, I posted most of this on another thread as well.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 12:08 PM
  • Citizen, hate to say it but Id still take Brandon Foust and company over this team anyday. If Foust doesnt blow out his knee who knows how that team would have finished. Also Belmont is the easy pick to win the tourney. Just like last yr the team won a couple games at end of season, got the fans excited yet another .500 season all we have to show for it.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 2:42 PM
  • I have watched almost every home and most away games for the last three years. I am not saying they are the best team in the OVC but they are a lot better than they were a month ago. All I can say is that was a different team the last two games and it was on the road. If they play the way they did the last two games they are going to make some noise in the OVC tournament. We shall just have to wait and see I guess.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 4:26 PM
  • I have watched almost every home and most away games for the last three years. I am not saying they are the best team in the OVC but they are a lot better than they were a month ago. All I can say is that was a different team the last two games and it was on the road. If they play the way they did the last two games they are going to make some noise in the OVC tournament. We shall just have to wait and see I guess.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 4:26 PM
  • I started this post a little over 2 years ago...so how you all feel now?

-- Posted by datruth on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 8:48 PM
  • A lot of talent.....same ole .500 record. Same shizz different year.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 9:39 PM
  • I too believe that Coach Nutt should go. I thought the same thing last year when they gave him the extension after a .500 record but a lot of people on this forum felt the program was moving in the right direction. I don't understand how you can be the preseason favorite in your division and have the conference record that they do now. If they don't play any better defense then they have the last few games it will be another long year and the administration should make the change. Also don't understand why the Kohlfield family was inducted in the SEMO sports hall of fame unless there is a booster side to it. Does anyone know if that is the case

-- Posted by runner50 on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 7:06 AM
  • Through last season there was marked improvement from year to year with the Nutt regime. Whether someone thinks it was enough improvement or not can be argued but there was improvement, nonetheless. This year has been disappointing thus far but they need to finish out the season and see where things end up. They may finish well. They may not. If they finish well then I don't see how you do anything but stay the course as every program has an ebb & flow. However, if they don't finish well then you have to look at the bigger picture to determine if this year was an anomaly after several years of marked improvement and if it's worth potentially destabilizing the foundation that has been rebuilt. We all want success (no one more than Nutt himself!) but you've got to be careful about prematurely running people out of town. That said: come on SEMO, please play more defense and you will start winning more!!! Go Redhawks!!!

-- Posted by Grussman on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 7:40 AM
  • It's been over four years of sub .500 basketball. I'm not sure that is "prematurely running people out of town."

-- Posted by bobty423 on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 8:08 AM
  • I'm not sure Grussman has followed this team very closely over Nutt's time here at Semo.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 9:57 AM
  • As a matter of fact, Champ, I have followed SEMO very closely. I'm not saying I'm over-the-top thrilled with where they're at right now but they were at the absolute bottom of the barrel when Nutt got hired. They flat out sucked. Do you remember how awful things were after Edgar left? Now, I'm also not saying I 100% believe Nutt is the ultimate long-term answer. Maybe. Maybe not. Here's what I know: it's a fact their record has improved (this year remains to be seen) every year and it's hard to argue that recruiting hasn't also steadily improved. It's a process.

-- Posted by Grussman on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 1:04 PM
  • It is a process but it's one Nutt has never succeeded at over his coaching career. There's a reason he has a 500 career record.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 2:09 PM
  • Yes, that's also a fact. I'm not saying he's on the level of Coach K but I also think we need to acknowledge where things have come from and don't be too quick to pull the plug on the closest thing to some decent program stability since Gary Garner. Give it another year and then see.

-- Posted by Grussman on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 2:29 PM
  • When Lucas graduates, coach will resign.

-- Posted by ClarenceTheCat on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 3:54 PM
  • Coach Nutt's record:

09-10 - 7-23 (3-15 conf)

10-11 - 10-22 (6-12 conf)

11-12 - 15-16 (9-7 conf)

12-13 - 17-16 (8-8 conf)

13-14 - 11-10 (3-5 conf)

He's a total of 60-87 (41 percent) overall, 29-47 (38 percent) in conference, and 33-30 (52 percent) at home.

I understand your point Grussman that Nutt took over a broken program and has restored it to a somewhat decent state. But you can't give a Coach who is 27 games below .500 overall, 18 games below .500 in conference, and barely wins over half his games at home a new contract. Five years is plenty. We should thank coach Nutt for returning the program to a non-horrific state and send him on the way.

I, for one, would rather see somebody who isn't satisfied with "I've improved every year!!" after five years of being the coach. I think the attitude should be "we aren't near where we need to be and I have to change something in my coaching strategy."

SEMO fans deserve better than 33-30 at home.

-- Posted by bobty423 on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 4:15 PM
  • Grussman

You can seriously say that program is still on the rise from the 2011-12 season to now? He's gotten more talent but the result is still the same.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 4:42 PM

I said it earlier about Nutt: He was a good choice to get the SEMO program out of the cellars but he will never the coach to take them to the next levels. He is a historically .500 coach and always will be. He is a good hire to help fix a sinking ship but after the patchwork, etc. he just isn't the right choice to be Captain.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 5:25 PM
  • Champ

Let it be known I'm not a Nutt-apologist and I'm not satisfied with topping out at .500. But yes, until this season the program continued to show progress. Drastic progress? No. 20 wins a season? No. NCAA tourney? No. But progress, nonetheless. Good Lord, they won like three games the year before he got here and the cupboard was almost bare! Anyway, the beginning of this season continued to show some promise (8-2 or so?) but it has been a disappointment since conference play started. In my opinion they need to finish this season before anyone can say they've really leveled off or are going backwards. Then you have to say, ok, does this one year tell us that Nutt has done all he can do? Jolly's point may be spot on but I think a little more time is needed before you go and clean house again.

-- Posted by Grussman on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 6:01 PM
  • I've stated this on other threads about Nutt...when he was hired at SEMO, a co-worker of mine that was previously an Assistant A.D. at Arkansas St. when Nutt was there, said that he'll run a clean program, but we will underachieve and won't get over the hump. He said about a .500 team is the most we can expect with Nutt.

Looks like that is spot on. To me, what's most disappointing is that we're not very good in the OVC, which is a pretty weak conference.

-- Posted by semosoccer on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 12:37 AM
  • Conference record is the real record and all I see is 9-7 then 8-8 and now 3-5.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 1:01 AM
  • Good point Champ Kind! because the overall is influenced by playing 2 NAIA schools each year.

And yea Nutt improved from 3 wins but dawn any D1 coach can improve from 3 wins over all. This is his 5th year.

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 8:49 PM
  • They got a win tonight! 12-10 on season.

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 8:54 PM
  • Still 3-5 in the OVC....I'd rather us go winless in non-conference and then go 16-0 in the OVC. Because we're probably going to end up at about .500 when it's all said and done. We haven't beat a GOOD team yet this year.

-- Posted by semosoccer on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 11:24 PM
  • I agree with datruth. Any D1 coach can improve on 3 wins! Are people so blind to see that when you are on the bottom that the only way to go is up...of course Nutt can get you to the 10-15 win seasons BUT SO CAN JUST ABOUT ANY COACH coming into the same situation. Nutt just can't get you anything more than slightly below average. He has proven over a large body of work that all he can do is lose a few more than he wins.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 1, 2014, at 4:04 PM
  • I haven't posted anything on here for a very long time, but over the years I've complained about the lack of recruiting SEMO does in the STL area. So many of you want "local" players or Memphis players. The main ingredient to winning games is getting good players---FROM WHEREVER, and coaching them up. Good players coached by a good coach, translates into winning games, which fills the arena, creating a home court advantage...it all works together. It seems from a distance, that the "coaching" part is sorely missing from the NUTT dan. Nutt seems to be "coach" in title only. What's happened since Spoonhour was passed in the first interview with SEMO is that SIUE has turned D1 and jumped ahead of SEMO in the conference. Jay Spoonhour was hired at a conference foe and seems to have taken over a terrible program and also has passed SEMO in the conference in only his second season. SIUE now D1, Spoonhour at EIU...competition for STL players just got harder, in case anyone actually cares down at Cape. Biggest city in the state 2 hours away and the folks in Cape want the good 'ol southern boy from Arkansas with a sub .500 coaching record to bring them back from the dead. How's all that looking to you all now??

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 1, 2014, at 4:45 PM
  • *DNA (the Nutt DNA)

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 1, 2014, at 4:46 PM

And SEMO loses by 1 point. Man this is getting old.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Feb 1, 2014, at 8:05 PM
  • Another 25' or more three to win the game. Defense anyone? All the talent in the world and they can't play ball...

-- Posted by ChasMac on Sat, Feb 1, 2014, at 8:16 PM

Up 10 with 4 minutes left.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Feb 1, 2014, at 8:26 PM
  • And the opposing team drills 3 straight 3's. Oh, yeah, after a MISSED DUNK!

-- Posted by ChasMac on Sat, Feb 1, 2014, at 8:47 PM
  • Nutt in the end is responsible for his teams lack of finish.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Sat, Feb 1, 2014, at 9:26 PM
  • Up 10 with 4 minutes left to lose by one...thats bad everything from coaching to players performing badly. didnt get to see the game, who had the missed dunk at the end?

3-6 in OVC games, 12-11 overall...just bad. semosoccer i meant by my last post that even if that last win dont mean anything in ovc terms but it could help him save his job by staying above .5000.

-- Posted by datruth on Sat, Feb 1, 2014, at 9:34 PM
  • i had another question...how is semo's apr looking like? two people left over the summer, and then two was off by the beginning of the season. im not sure how the apr works thats why i was asking.

-- Posted by datruth on Sat, Feb 1, 2014, at 9:37 PM

Looks like the banked in 3 to win the game makes SportsCenter Top 10 plays. Twice this year now that SEMO has been on the top 10 plays, and twice now it was the other team doing something spectacular.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Feb 1, 2014, at 11:23 PM
  • Last night was a bag of mixed emotions. For te entire 2nd half, I was thinking this could be the game that completely turns around our season. In 1 second, my feelings did a 180. Now we are in serious trouble. A back breaking loss that is sure to carry over and possibly lead to is not making the tournament. If they let this carry over and lose our next game, you can cancel your hotel rooms in Nashville. And dickey can put his house on the market. That is, if Alnut has the marbles to make that decesion.

-- Posted by lseed on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 9:00 AM
  • Once again the players start out in foul trouble and a slow start. I was really impressed with the comeback they played hard, but that goes to show never stop defending even in the end. This is what really gets me in mean spot, after every game the Coach gives the interview and it never, never fails that Lucas is the center of the interview "he played great, he had so much energy, he bring the team together, he made the different" this coach had a player to drop over thirty points with a bad knee and all he said was Bradley had a good game! Do anyone thinks he building Lucas up too much, especially when he is not delivering?

-- Posted by semofan17 on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 12:05 PM
  • Yeah, I can't stand how much he talks and compliments Lucas.. He isn't good or great, he is average. Lucas is the one who didn't hold for the last shot and instead threw up a stupid shot with 8 seconds left that luckily got rebounded by Stone. Why is Lucas the guy taking the last shot?? Is that what Coach drew up? If so that is pathetic.

Also minutes in that 2nd half were distributed poorly. Those guys were probably dead tired after being on the floor for most of the 2nd half that led to the lazy defense towards the end.

-- Posted by arich35 on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 12:27 PM
  • I agree but coach Nutt been hyping Lucas up the passed 5 years. Lucas is a solid player and really smart but he should not be a d1 starter. If his minutes were given to others I think semo would had won a few extra games each year

-- Posted by datruth on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 12:27 PM
  • Ok arich35 and datruth I thought it was just me because his point guard just throw the ball in the other team hands last night and remain in the game. But he never fails to cut down his other players on what they did wrong, or if they force three's then their out of the game, but Lucas he can do no wrong. I believe this Coach really thinks Lucas is all he has. Coach Nutt I think its time for a reality check. I found out several weeks ago why Johnson walked off the floor, he felt that he was not playing well and asked to be taken out hoping another player might do a better job, but was refused being frustrated and not listened too he walked off. This may not have been a good decision coming from a player but it did make the coach put someone else in.

-- Posted by semofan17 on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 4:33 PM
  • Nutt had 6 TO's last night and 5 assists.. Pathetic that he gets so much praise to be honest..

2 things that have ****** me off;

1) SIUE game with about a 8 second difference between game and shot clock and we were up by 2 or 3 Nutt decided to shoot the ball with about 20 seconds left on the clock!! Why??

2) Last night, we get the chance to play for the last shot and he decides to shoot up a wild shot with 8 seconds left!! WHY!?!?!

How does the point guard and "leader" of the team not understand the clock part of the game. And I swear if Coach Nutt is the one telling him to be the one to shoot the ball at the end of the game, he should be fired right now.

-- Posted by arich35 on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 5:19 PM
  • It's depressing.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 6:47 PM
  • I heard things about Johnson putting team first which is great! But Nutt had Lucas as a starter his whole career or close to it and he won't stop now since its Lucas last year. Lucas can't guard a high school player. And defense has been a problem Nutts whole coaching career here. But oh well we a probably wasting our time...the A.D isn't going care. And its sad.

But does anyone know how many people we average at home games?

-- Posted by datruth on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 7:22 PM
  • Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that it begins and ends with guard play. Quality guard play is the main ingredient to winning basketball. It sounds like Nutt may be the only coach in America who doesn't care about this aspect of the game as long as he gets his son playing time. Look at any successful program and see what percentage of them have weakness at the guard position, or don't emphasize defense??? VERY FEW.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 11:32 PM
  • Why is it that if I criticize Nutt---or the people who refuse to hold him accountable, such as the reporters, commentators, boosters, administration, etc...my post gets deleted???

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 11:36 PM
  • i'm wondering where the people who said no to firing coach nutt is at and how they feel now compared to when i started this 2 1/2 years ago. I saw through his bull long time ago and i notice the interviews after the games a long time ago.

-- Posted by datruth on Mon, Feb 3, 2014, at 10:54 AM
  • The most disturbing thing is that someone gave him MORE TIME. Maybe they have a crystal ball and know some hot assistant will be available, or some quality coach may be looking to make a move at the time of the expiration of Nutt's contract---yeah that must me it. They surely can't be this pathetic at evaluating talent!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 3, 2014, at 2:15 PM
  • Yea he had 2 one year extensions. He got one because he was friends with the old AD. They he got another. Idk if semo can afford to pay off the rest of a football coach contract and a basketball coach contract in same year. So I don't think he will be gone after this year no matter how the season ends

-- Posted by datruth on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 3:08 PM
  • Nutt still have one more season left on his contract.

SEMO overall might be better going back down to D2.

-- Posted by datruth on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 3:23 PM
  • Given there was some overall improvement each year the one year extensions don't seem so out of line. It's not like it was a multi-year extension deal. Wouldn't the University need to show SOME kind of support that they haven't given up on him or it makes recruiting really difficult? Anyway, if they don't offer an extension this year then that will definitely say something.

-- Posted by Grussman on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 3:43 PM
  • He got his first extension when they was 2 years still left on his contract. And it's not had to improve from 3 wins.

-- Posted by datruth on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 8:23 PM
  • Yeah, because EVERY KID wants to come play for a coach with a career losing record...

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 8:31 PM
  • Losing history!! I wonder who got turned down when he got the job?!

But I give him credit he did recruit some good players just can't can't get the best out of them.

-- Posted by datruth on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 8:43 PM
  • If I remember right, he was pretty much given the job before any public interview process. The real question will is who will turn their program around first (lets say at least 3 winning seasons in a row)---Nutt or Spoonhour? Nutt has a 3 year head start, but in this case I doubt that means much.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 9:02 PM
  • Eastern Illinois had some real lean years prior to Spoonhour, so both programs were down. Maybe the question should be who will have a better record at the end of their 5th season...

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 9:04 PM
  • EIU is off to a better start then Nutt with semo

-- Posted by datruth on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 9:27 PM
  • Yeah, I wouldn't bet against Spoonhour to have them at least respectable in the near future.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 9:30 PM
  • I've said it many times before and people didn't want to hear it or believe it.....but COACHING is our main problem.

We won't finish any better than 8-8 in the OVC....maybe 7-9.

I don't see Mr. Alnutt making a change after this season....BUT the money is there to do it IF he wants to....or I should say IF he's being pressured enough to do so.

-- Posted by semosoccer on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 11:59 PM
  • It seems that most people agree that there is enough talent on this team to compete for a OVC championship, yet for some reason the talent doesn't translate into wins. This has to come down to coaching. Yeah, sometimes players make mistakes that the coach can't control which ends up costing games, but the coach determines who gets the minutes, who is on the floor at a crucial stretch, what the offensive or defensive philosophy will be, etc. If it's a player that makes a mistake to cost the team a win, it will only happen a few times before that particular player is no longer trusted in that crucial spot. There are so man aspects to coaching, and I won't sit here and act like I have that experience, but when a casual fan can see these mistakes, the errors in judgement, the rotation of the players on the floor, minutes played vs who is on the bench, THEN THERE IS A ISSUE. Either the coach is a bad coach, a stubborn coach, or the coach is out of control of the situation. GOOD COACHES MAKE ADJUSTMENTS. They adjust their game plan, the scheme, sometimes even their entire philosophy based on a particular situation. Jim Crews made a deep run with SLU in the tournament, won 27 games, won National Coach of the Year-----all while adjusting his style of play to fit the team he inherited. He was smart enough to know what worked for that team, humble enough to adjust his style to his player's knowledge and strengths, and with enough control to reel them in when he needed to and add and subtract a little here and there to give them the best chance at winning. He has adjusted somewhat this season with a little more of his style and it has paid off to a 20-2 start. THAT is a good coach, who understands what's going on (can he recruit and maintain it after losing 5 seniors at the end of this season...who knows, but for now it's a tremendous job). Nutt is sorely lacking in quality coaching skills.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 9:39 AM
  • I don't care who the coach is as long as the program is clean, the team continues to improve and becomes more consistent. I think they're better off now than when Nutt arrived. That doesn't mean I think he's done everything right but I also didn't decide he was going to fail (or want him to fail...which I'm beginning to wonder with our thread) when he was hired.

They are much more respectable than they were a few years ago. Where this team seems to be lacking is defense and closing games. Improve on that even just a reasonable amount and you're looking at 20+ wins.

However, if Nutt and his staff have indeed done about all they can do then a change may be in order and Alnutt should be smart enough to figure that out as it's a reflection of his leadership. None of these guys are looking to fail.

-- Posted by Grussman on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 9:45 AM
  • It was a mistake when they hired him. So what if he runs a clean program most coaches do. As far as him failing, well his record before they hired him was enough to not hire him in the first place.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 10:16 AM
  • I don't know who else was available when they hired him but I simply refuse to jump on the haters bandwagon with Nutt. It can certainly be argued he may not be the guy moving forward but he helped accomplish the first thing that needed to happen for SEMO (i.e. get the program back on its feet). Let's at least acknowledge that. They needed someone with experience and stability and he fit that description.

Once that happened, perhaps the administration's thought was to give him a chance to see what he can do beyond that (hence the one year extensions...not some major long term 5 year contract extension). It may not be perfect but on one level it makes sense to me. It's a process people.

-- Posted by Grussman on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 10:29 AM
  • He does NOT run a clean program!! Several athletes failed drug tests plus more. That's why Johnson and Stone were suspended for the first two games. And why was Martin kicked off the team. And why did Jones leave school before the SUPER game. .they never said why to that.

And please stop saying they are better off then they was before they got nutt..no s**t they are better anyone can improve on 3 wins especially when you play 2 NAIA schools each year. But yes if they learned to close out games it would be closer to 20 wins but that's not just the players fault it comes down to coaching also. Which probably cost them a few games this year!!

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 10:35 AM
  • It's a process. .that sounds a lot like what he says. But he can NOT build a championship team period! He has probably the most talented team he will ever have at semo right now and they are under performing. But I guess you will only blame the players

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 10:41 AM
  • This was my opinion when I started this forum. I don't think he is the right man for the job any more!

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 10:42 AM
  • I have not blamed the players. Sure they have a role...but I didn't play that card. Yes, they are under performing a whole (players, coaching, etc.). Yes Nutt has a career losing record (therefore he is an eternal loser). Fine, his program isn't clean and it's actually in shambles. I agree he may not be the guy moving forward. Geez.

There's obviously something about him that just drives y'all freakin' Nutts (ahem)!

-- Posted by Grussman on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 10:59 AM
  • In 17 seasons as a D1 head coach, not counting this season, Nutt has had one 20 win season (who knows how many NAIA or Div2 schools were counted over the years...the rules changed on counting those as victories I believe), and has had 2 seasons of 20+ loss seasons. These are not in chronological order, but rather in order from best to worst:

20-9

18-12

18-15

17-11

17-13

17-16

16-13

15-12

15-15

15-16

13-15

12-18

10-22

10-18

9-17

9-18

7-23

That is 8 winning seasons, 1 even season, and 8 losing seasons. He has made 1 NCAA tournament appearance in 17 years, and here are the conference finishes (some were ties):

1st--twice

2nd--twice

3rd--twice

4th--4 times

5th--1 time

6th--twice

7th--twice

8th--1 time

9th--1 time

HE HAS FINISHED 4TH OR WORSE 11 OF 17 SEASONS. He simply cannot build a program. He has a career losing record, so when you see he has 8 "winning", 1 even, and 8 losing seasons...when he wins he barely is above .500 and when he loses he loses big.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 3:34 PM
  • In 18 seasons Nutt has only had 3 consecutive years of being above .500 ONE TIME and that was between 1996-1999 when he was 53-33. That means he is 207-251 in the other years...just slightly better than his 260-284 mark. He has had ONE back to back "winning" seasons besides the 3 season stretch. THIS IS WHAT YOU GET WITH DICKEY NUTT.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 3:44 PM
  • Grussman, you say they are lacking defense and closing out games?

Isn't that clearly a coaching flaw? While there are stretches THROUGHOUT games where a bad stretch may indeed lose the game for you, it's ultimately the final stretch where coaching decisions are truly crucial. If this team is getting beat at that particular aspect, then they are deficient at the coaching position and the opposing head coach is making better game-time decisions than Nutt. SAME CAN BE SAID FOR DEFENSE. The opposing coach sees a weakness and exploits it.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 3:51 PM
  • I agree but i think his record is 250-275 for his career. but either way its about just as bad. He would need at least a few more winning season to even be at .500 for his career. that is a "average coach at best!

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 7:21 PM
  • Earlier tonight, as St. Joes is trying to follow up a win over #21 UMASSS as they face #13 St. Louis:

"Doing all of the little things, make big things possible"..."a champion understands its about the doing, not the wishing, so we need champions, we need champions...little things will make big things possible"...

-Coach Phil Maretelli, St. Joseph's Hawks head coach

Career record 338-230

Coach Nutt (260--284 career record) before games: Lucas, take the shot anytime you want...lets try and outscore these guys...play til you drop...I don't know how we're going to stop these guys so just try to get a lead and hang on...

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 7:27 PM
  • Billiken: this really has you lit up and you're clearly reading/seeing what you want. I'm not saying he's a great coach. I've never even alluded to that. I'm just saying he has done SOME good at SEMO and I refuse to demonize the guy. You've obviously got an axe to grind.

Go enjoy the rest of the Billikens season...they're having a heckuva year! Best team in MO for sure. Too bad Mizzou won't play them.

-- Posted by Grussman on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 7:59 PM
  • Grussman, I wasn't trying to read into anything you said. I simply was asking you a question. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm really trying to understand WHY people support this guy?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 10:34 PM
  • Barry Hinson was fired with a 169-117 record at Mo State (36-23 before that at ORU). The man had ONE losing season in his career before going go SIU. THAT is what you call a quality body of work (and it's not like I'm some huge Barry Hinson fan). Nutt has a career losing record. Soderberg was fired after a 20 win season at SLU. This will get you fired in the SW corner of the state:

(1) Losing season going 13-16

(3) 17 win seasons

(2) 19 win seasons

(3) 20+ win seasons

After 2 straight 22 win seasons, he follows it up with a 17-16 record AND THERE IS A FRIGGIN WEB SITE DEMANDING TO FIRE BARRY. It worked. After all the success he had, it wasn't enough and the people demanded his firing. WHY SHOULD SEMO FANS HAVE TO SUFFER WITH NUTT?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 11:05 PM
  • I'm pretty sure they could've hired Anthony Beane when they hired Nutt. Anthony has a son who is one of the best players in the Missouri Valley.

Seriously. Who do you guys think they are going to get to come to Southeast?

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 6:29 PM
  • I honestly can't remember all of the guys they interviewed the first time, but it was pretty clear that Scott Edgar was the frontrunner the entire time, and I think the other 2 finalists were Rod Barnes (another subpar coach), and Jay Spoonhour who was pretty much interviewed due to some pressure ...or as a favor to Charlie. I may be wrong on that part, but Edgar was for sure the leading candidate from the get go. I think the Edgar lovers could only remember he coached at Murray and that was all it took. The Spoonhour detractors kept saying he didn't have head coaching experience at the D1 level.

The second time around they knew they wanted Nutt all along, and I believe they interviewed Spoonhour again...same excuse this time about the lack of D1 experience---even though he had done a real good job answering the tough questions after every loss that Mizzou suffered under Quinn Snyder...and also after he had won a JUCO National Championship. Well, look at the standing folks...who is ahead of SEMO? Spoonhour...after 1 full season.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 7:22 PM
  • People wanted the successful high school coaches in the area, Floyd Irons, and a couple of other candidates. I don't think they were ever seriously considered (thankfully), but as it turns out, I guess it wouldn't have turned out any worse. All I know is that THIS is a very important game tonight. 2 crucial games to determine second place. EIU and UTM, and SEMO and SIUE.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 7:25 PM
  • ***I should say some people ALSO wanted some of the hs coaches***

I believe when Nutt was hired, the names of Spoonhour, Hinson, Soderberg, Martin, were mentioned from the fansbase, but once again, I think Nutt was pretty much hired before any real interview process began. Someone with a better knowledge of the situration and better memory than I have, may let us know.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 7:38 PM
  • Soderberg kid was better then both of Nutts kids combined

-- Posted by datruth on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 8:26 PM
  • Down 37-47 at half, and at one point down by 13---EIU outscores UTM 54-32 in the second half to win 91-79. LOOKS LIKE SOME COACH WAS ABLE TO MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENTS AT HALFTIME.

Meanwhile SEMO gives up a last second layup to go into overtime...ONLY TO LOSE. Nice job.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 9:03 PM
  • SEMO blows another game losing at SIU-E by 6 in OT after leading the whole 2nd half. We drop to 3-7 in the OVC. This team just can't play defense or close out games. I have been a supporter of Coach Nutt, but this team has way underachieved and that's on him and his coaching staff.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 9:14 PM

Put some other players in the game that can knock down some 3's like Hollifield, Stroder and Woods! Same song n dance we can't close out a game!

-- Posted by goBIGblue on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 9:15 PM
  • It's hard to give you any credibility when you think those 3 names are the answer.

-- Posted by lseed on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 9:17 PM
  • Trust me, that is far from the solution.. we can hit 3's.. we can score.. that's not our problem and neither one of them can guard any better.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 9:18 PM
  • For the people who defend Lucas Nutt (seems like he had a fair game tonight but I didn't listen as I was watching the EIU-UTM game online)---it seems to me that the answer to his assist total has to do with the fact that this team SCORES...and scores ALOT. When all you can do is score and turn around and give up a quick score--your number of possessions per game will dictate a higher assist total. Maybe I'm way off?

The answer to closing out games has to do with being able to STOP someone or make some flippin adjustments if you are the coach and staff. This team can score but it's not exaclty Loyola Maramont from those historic days. STOP SOMEONE PLEASE!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 9:34 PM
  • I don't care how many assists he had tonight, for the season, or for his career. The kid couldn't guard a 90 year old woman in a wheelchair.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 10:01 PM
  • just sayin..and I can't see the lack of defense on the stat sheet but I will take your word on it.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 10:38 PM
  • We have to win 5 out of the last 6 to finish .500 in conference this year. No improvement from last year. But luckily we have 2 against UTM..that will help out

-- Posted by datruth on Fri, Feb 7, 2014, at 2:53 PM
  • Might lose to Martin

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Fri, Feb 7, 2014, at 3:10 PM
  • I doubt we would lose both against Martin. Probably lose to Murray in the last game.

-- Posted by datruth on Fri, Feb 7, 2014, at 4:26 PM
  • Either way, 2-3 wins is the best outcome this team can pray for. If Nutt is still the coach after next year SEMO will always be the bottom of the OVC.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Fri, Feb 7, 2014, at 5:38 PM
  • Hopefully his contract will get terminate after this season. This is ridiculous...can't believe I wasted money over the years for this

-- Posted by datruth on Fri, Feb 7, 2014, at 8:00 PM
  • It's always tough to win conference games at about any level of basketball. Anything can happen on a given night tho, so there is still a chance. Its even worse when you have to pass 2 teams with not much time left. You are sitting at 3-7 and one of the 4-5 teams has already beaten you, and the other 4-5 team (which you beat) is actually in the tougher division and just beat Belmont. It must be really depressing for the diehard fans who had so much hope for this season, so only have 2 other teams in the conference with worse records. Trying to predict what may happen in these conference games is so difficult to do, so there is still a chance---but it should never have come down to this type of scenario.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 7, 2014, at 10:28 PM
  • ***Just to clarify, the other 4-5 team is in a tougher division and has been playing better competition and is STILL ahead of you, which is kinda scary, BUT they also have alot of their games left against tougher teams, so they could stub their toe. The bad part is that SEMO can't seem to stop anyone so there is no guarantee of beating UTM.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 7, 2014, at 11:08 PM
  • Glad to see some people on THIS forum are wise enough to realize that NUTT isn't the coach to get us over the hump. The posters on SEMOFANS still seem to support Nutt.

I actually lobbied for Barry Hinson, and he was interested. I spoke to him at a KU game about it.

Before that, I wanted Spoonhour, and we hired Edgar.

I'd rather see us hire some young, up and comer, that wants to prove himself. If he comes here and is getting offers from bigger, better programs after 2-3 years, that means he's probably had some GOOD seasons here at SEMO.

Something to keep in mind is that Alnutt didn't hire Nutt. I'm sure he has someone in mind that he thinks can come in immediately and WIN. If we stumble and miss the OVC Tourney, I expect to see a change.

-- Posted by semosoccer on Fri, Feb 7, 2014, at 11:52 PM
  • I was a Spoonhour supporter the entire way, and couldn't believe how some people were advocating hiring local h.s. coaches, while others were wanting a someone with D1 experience. It seemed to me at the time that someone like Spoonhour who really wanted the job badly would have the passion to succeed, and what he may have lacked in experience he was a younger coach wanting to make a name for himself---AND HE WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP AT THE JUCO LEVEL. That wasn't enough though. Now 6-7-8 years later SEMO is still trying to get INTO the conference tournament, has had repeatedly lost, only to see SIUE start to build something in the STL area at the D1 level, and Spoonhour finally get a D1 job---and after 1 season at a downtrodden school he has that team in second place WITH MUCH LESS TALENT than SEMO has. Again, I'm a fan of REGIONAL teams, wanting all of them to do well to represent the flyover country when they finally get a chance on the big stage. I would like to see SEMO win consistently (but as someone who wanted to see Spoonhour have the save success as Weber did at SIUC and then move onto bigger and better things) --I think it's fitting that he is building a program at a OVC school, and doing better than the team that passed on him TWICE. Sorry it has to be at the hands of SEMO but thats the price you pay.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 8, 2014, at 8:44 AM
  • SEMO won today! Nutt I guess did better today! We still have a chance to make the OVC tournament!

-- Posted by datruth on Sat, Feb 8, 2014, at 6:29 PM
  • I guess now you have to pull for AP to beat EIU. EIU has 6 losses, and AP and SEMO at 7...

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 8, 2014, at 9:38 PM
  • Whoops, looks like Austin Peay is 4-6, so I suppose you have to root for EIU to win.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 8, 2014, at 9:45 PM
  • We are only a .5 game back from the tourny. And we still get to play them at home.

Peay is in front of us but I also think we can cant T. Tech who still has to play EKU and Morehead both twice down the stress.

If we make the Tournament I think we can beat anybody if we are on a roll heading into it. I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the Semi finals if we can catch fire here at the end.

-- Posted by arich35 on Sat, Feb 8, 2014, at 10:20 PM
  • Keep dreaming!!!! U have to want to play DEFENSE not just think u can catch fire doing that.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 12:06 AM
  • I wonder how Coach Nutt would react if something happen like what Smart dis at Oklahoma State

-- Posted by datruth on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 5:11 AM
  • At this point it doesn't matter if we make the tournament. If we have to win 4 games in a row to win the tournament, there's no chance that happens. The way the tournament is set up, it rewards the teams that were consistent all year. If SEMO makes the tournament, at best we go 2 and out. I won't get two excited if we make the tournament and have to play on day 1.

-- Posted by lseed on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 8:51 AM
  • SEMO is .5 out, but they have two 4-6 teams in front of them for the last spot, and alot of teams bunched up. Austin Peay is 4-6 along with JVST also 4-6. If either of those 2 teams stay ahead of SEMO it will not matter (assuming the 5 thru 7 teams stay ahead as well). So many things can happen, but there is still a chance---it still comes down to the fact it shouldn't be this way with the talent SEMO has. Here's a rough breakdown of the schedules.:

5. SIUE 6-5

@MSU and won previous meeting 67-60

@PEAY and won previous meeting 71-67

@TNST who is 2-10 and 3-23

Belmont 10-2 and 19-8

EIU and lost previous meeting 76-70

6. TNTC 5-5

EKY 7-4 and 17-8

MORE 7-3 and 16-9

@UTM 2-9 and 7-19

JVST 4-7 and 10-16

@EKY 7-4 and 17-8

@MORE 7-3 and 16-9

7. EIU 6-6

@ PEAY won previous meeting 67-64

@MSU loss previous meeting 70-66

@ Belmont 10-2 and 19-8

@SIUE won previous meeting 76-70

8. PEAY 4-6

EIU loss previous 67-64

SIUE L 71-67

@MORE 7-3 and 16-9

EKY 7-4 and 17-8

@SEMO won 80-74

@UTM won 81-68

9. JVST 4-6

MORE L 65-54

EKY L 60-56

@SEMO 4-7 and 13-12

@TNTC L 72-60

Belmont L 78-67

10. SEMO 4-7

UTM 2-9 and 7-19

JVST 4-7 and 10-16

@UTM 2-9 and 7-19

PEAY L 80-74

MSU L 82-75

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 10:22 AM
  • As someone who grew up watching the Shumate teams with their tough defense, and later having the opportunity to get to see the Charlie Spoonhour, Lorenzo Romar, Brad Soderberg, Rick Majerus, and now Jim Crews SLU teams play TOUGH, EXCITING, defense---I just have to wonder how far this SEMO team can go when they can't stop anyone. As the saying goes DEFENSE TRAVELS, regardless of where you have to play, if you can play defense---you have a chance.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 12:11 PM
  • Tied for 9th now, but until EIU AND AP both lose that 7th game it really is just a tease. The other aspect is the tie-breaker format. It could get crazy with alot of teams tied. If SEMO makes it into the tournament, anything could happen. I mean, there is NO team that is a lock to win the automatic bid. Even UTM is capable pulling the upset on a given night.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 4:28 PM
  • Since we still play Peay we control if they get the 7th loss but since they still play EKU and Morehead I think they will lose before playing us.. If we win 4 out of 5 I think we are in. We ultimately control our own destiny and I think this team is going to start pulling it together

-- Posted by arich35 on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 4:48 PM
  • and with EIU playing 4 road games I think they at least lose 2 of those

-- Posted by arich35 on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 4:50 PM
  • I still think we'll lose 2 more games.

-- Posted by semosoccer on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 6:08 PM
  • Nutt is still the coach right? Yea we'll lose two more, mark it down.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 6:12 PM
  • Weren't we preseason favorite or something close?

-- Posted by datruth on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 6:38 PM
  • Belmont was the East favorite and we were the West favorite if I'm remembering correctly.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 6:51 PM
  • Yeah, how would you like to be EIU and have your last 4 conference games all on the road and 2 against the top 2 teams? If SEMO had a home court advantage that would definitely help, but this coach has done nothing to create the excitement to draw the fans in, so there is little home advantage. There is so much speculation as to what may happen, who may win or lose what games...there are so many different ways this can play out---SEMO winning 4 of 5 seems like such a stretch.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 11:26 PM
  • This team has under-performed all year. I could understand if your the preseason fave and your team finishes 2-3. But this team wont even make the Conference Tournament.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Mon, Feb 10, 2014, at 8:58 AM
  • What we have here is the tale of 2 forums....here on "SEMOBALL", most are questioning Nutt's ability to coach and some suggest we need a new coach.

But over on "SEMOFANS", they're all on the Nutt bandwagon. Erik Sean went so far as to say he hopes that Nutt gets an extension after this season. Of course there is still plenty of basketball left to be played. And who knows, maybe we win out and win the OVC Tourney. I doubt it, but it's possible and I pray to God that happens. So I'm all for waiting and seeing how the rest of the season goes before I'd agree with an extension or not. If the season ended today, I'd have to say NO.

Just curious...are all of us watching the same SEMO team?? You can certainly tell the lines are drawn here.

-- Posted by semosoccer on Mon, Feb 10, 2014, at 10:44 PM
  • Still a lot of things to play out as far as this goes, but when you clearly have a 1-2 punch like SEMO has and you were picked to win the division---its hard to imagine anyone really believing Nutt did a good job this year. When you see teams with inferior talent beating SEMO, it seems pretty clear that there is a problem with the coaching.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 10:23 AM
  • Not buying an injury excuse. Lost to the worst team in the league on your own court. The "go to" Nutt dribbles the ball off his foot when points were most needed at the end of the game. Stone then does another turnover. Issue is not how hard the players practice, or how hard the coaches work during practice. Issue is a system that does not match this set of players. Time for another reset at SEMO.

-- Posted by ClarenceTheCat on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 8:07 PM
  • The best we can be if we win out is 8-8 in conference smh

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 8:28 PM
  • Same as last year. No improvement

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 8:29 PM
  • What a shame. At this point I'm not sure if Nutt comes back, but even if he does he has lost the support of the community and most importantly the loyal fans who have been to countless games throughout his years. They deserve better, hopefully Alnutt feels the same way.

-- Posted by bobty423 on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 9:09 PM
  • I swear there were like 450 people at most at this game...at least it looked like about 200 or so on tv. The fan base has spoken. There was no excuse to lose this game, even with Bradley hurt. This would have been 20 losses for UTM had SEMO won. YOU DON'T LOSE A MUST-WIN GAME AT HOME AGAINST A 2-9 CONFERENCE TEAM AND A TEAM WITH 19 LOSSES. PERIOD.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 9:43 PM
  • Embarrassing any time you lose to UT Martin. This is the most talented team Nutt has had here, yet they can't win. Truly disappointing. There's always next year?

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 10:13 PM
  • You better hope that next year there is not a coach named NUTT anywhere on the staff.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 10:15 PM
  • My wish list for men's basketball:

1. New head coach

- Unless you're one of the dorks on the other forum that "attends every practice" and believes you know the team better than everyone else, you know that Dickey Nutt is not the answer. I'm really hoping he has no other sons that we weren't made aware of, because it's time to stop wasting a roster spot on mediocre family members.

2. New announcer

- I can't be the only one that ones to stab myself in the eye when I hear Erik Sean's analysis of the game or his fake announcing voice.

"They just can't stop anybody!"...DYNAMITE ANALYSIS, BRO!

And dude, leather jackets haven't ever been in style. Also, what's with the 15 year old profile photo on SEMO's website? That was 40 pounds ago.

3. Make a few upgrades to the Show Me Center

- Can we get a small scoreboard and another with running stat lines, please? Even SIUE's small gym has these.

-- Posted by Aussie Aussie Aussie on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 10:18 PM
  • If Coach Nutt stays I have a feeling Lucas will be on the coaching staff.. I don't want to see him anymore!

-- Posted by arich35 on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 10:22 PM
  • I was thinking about that the other day, arich35. What would he coach? How to commit a reach-in foul?

-- Posted by Aussie Aussie Aussie on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 10:25 PM

I was never aware of semofans page and after spending the last 15 mins reading it I now know why, a lot of fanboys

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 10:37 PM

I think they should let coach nutt go. He is a career under .500 coach and it's showing. This team makes me not wanna go to a game.

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 11:20 PM
  • Over on SEMOFANS, the Nutt apologists have been quiet tonight.

I realize the loss of Bradley hurt...and I hope he's OK and able to finish the season. But UTM is the WORST team in the OVC. NO excuses for losing that game, other than the fact that we're just not that good.

We're in Nutt's 5th year at SEMO, and we're on the brink of missing the OVC Tourney....c'mon Mr. Alnutt...enough is enough and it's time for a change.

-- Posted by semosoccer on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 12:31 AM
  • UTM was 2-9 in the OVC coming into Wednesday's game.

Bradley or no Bradley, there's no way you should lose by nine to that team. Especially at home. It is downright embarrassing.

-- Posted by Aussie Aussie Aussie on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 1:35 AM
  • This was a MUST WIN for both teams. The reality is that even if UTM wins the rest of their games they probably won't make the OVC tournament. The fact that SEMO can't stop anyone on defense had to give them hope, plus the Bradley injury had to give them another reason to believe they could win. BUT UTM HAD NOT WON A ROAD CONFERENCE GAME ALL YEAR (maybe not a single road game).

SEMO was facing the worst team in the conference, (who also plays no defense), AT HOME, in a national TV game, in a MUST WIN scenario---and you lose. NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER. Even if Bradley had played the whole game there is no reason to HONESTLY believe they would have won. That's so hard to predict how other players would have or wouldn't have performed. I WAS EMBARRASSED FOR SEMO LAST NIGHT. Everything about last night was a loss. Loss in the win-loss column, loss in exposure for the program being on tv and seeing 300 people there, loss in "taking a step forward for the program", everything. LOSS. COMPLETE LOSS.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 7:58 AM
  • I have to laugh at Erik Sean over on semofans.com. Erik's point of we HAVE to extend Nutt's contract so he isn't a lame duck recruiting is comical.

I understand coaches are lame ducks when they have no job security and can't even assure a recruit they will be the coach next season. But when does it end? Let's say we extend Nutt a year, then what are we going to say next year? I'm assuming Erik will make the same argument that he HAS to have an extension. At some point you cut ties, regardless of when or what year he's going to be a lame duck. The fans, Erik included, don't deserve to sit through another year. Why are people thinking he has so much talent and next year he will win? How much more talent can you have then this season? I'm just confused as to why anybody would truly believe next year Nutt will have this program turned around.

Stop wasting our time and let's get somebody in here that can hopefully change the landscape.

-- Posted by bobty423 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 8:46 AM
  • "Lucas and Tyler, that's the ones we're counting on, and they didn't have great nights. We did not play very well. Obviously didn't play very well at all."

Stone led Southeast with 21 points on 9-of-11 shooting and grabbed 16 rebounds."

Nutt stated that Tyler Stone did not play very well. Erin then pointed out that Stone had 21 points, 16 rebounds, and shot 9-of-11. That sounds like one heck of a game to me. Nutt just couldn't stand putting the blame on Lucas so he threw Stone in there as well. I can't believe these players want to play for this guy.

-- Posted by bobty423 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 9:33 AM
  • Erick Sean if an idoit and he should be replace. Give me a legit reason to give Nutt another year on his contract. He already has next year and that should be it if they dont let him go after this season..he hasnt shown that he derves another extension. He would be better off as a used car salesman!

-- Posted by datruth on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 9:47 AM

You either fire him or you give him an extra year. You don't let coaches coach on that final contract year. I personally think Nutt should be let go but extending him one year says they are giving him one more chance and that next year is make or break.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:03 AM
  • It's Semo so they'll prolly give him another year. People at that school need to grow a set and send him packing HE SUCKS as a coach and HE ALWAYS HAS what is another year going to change he's been an awful coach his whole career.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:15 AM
  • Sideline - then what happens next year? It's the exact same scenario next year. We'll be saying you either fire him or extend him. At some point you cut ties - and if it isn't after this pitiful season then I have no idea when you would ever cut ties.

The argument that coaches have to have a another year on the contract is mute at this point. He's had five seasons. Next year would be six. Then if we extend him, it'll be seven or we buy him out and have to pay him.

-- Posted by bobty423 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:29 AM
  • Stop giving used car salesmen a bad name by throwing someone like Nutt in with them!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 1:06 PM
  • Heck, it may HELP recruiting by him becoming a lame duck coach if the kids think they actually would have a chance to win! Whats the difference---lame duck or just plain LAME!?!

Shoot, SLU took forever working out a deal with Jim Crews after the year they had last year. I'm sure it hurt recruiting some, but nobody really knew if he was going to come back or if they wanted him back---or if they had an agreement they wouldn't announce it FOREVER, so either way potential recruits didn't really know. It really won't matter in the case of SEMO. People are not coming to SEMO to play for Dickey Nutt. They are coming here either for a chance to play, it's close to home, or they can't make the grades or character tests that some schools may demand. EVERY KID STRIVES TO PLAY FOR A COACH WITH A CAREER LOSING RECORD I GUESS.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 1:12 PM
  • I'm physically sick of watching Lucas Nutt, watched a little more of the game from DVR this morning, in the first half with about 3:30 left he takes the ball to the rack in a 2v1 situation, both times he had a pass to a different guy with an easy look who is CERTAINLY more of a finisher than he. First time he gets stuff and pathetically whines for a foul, next time commits a charge violation.

Then for some reason I watch the rest of the second half, and at the 3:30 mark, as if some sort of mystical force takes hold and Nutt drives in the paint against 4!! UTM players and throws up a sickely looking flailing runner, 2 possessions later he does the same thing, loses the ball on his own but got the foul call, next poss = Nutt turnover. 50 seconds left next possession, dribbles it off his foot like a **** 3rd grader.

Coach Nutt says the game needed to run through Tyler and Lucas, Stone touched the ball 0 times in clutch time, Lucas turned it over 4 outta 5.

The game NEEDS to run through Stone, Langford, and JB! If we had a Nino siting anywhere I'd S*** myself, THATS the OVC West Champion team, not the **** pass it around the arc till Lucas gets an assist and jack it up then finish last team.

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 1:39 PM

I said he needs to go. But if SEMO does plan to keep him, you have to give him an extension. Doing nothing and leaving his contract situation as it is is not an option. If the administration thinks he has failed, he should be fired. If the administration is disappointed in the performance of this year's team but believes this to be an outlier (or doesn't have the money to buy out his contract now due to buying out the football coach's), they need to extend him a year and give him one more chance to make marked improvement or live up to expectations. If they are happy with the job he's doing, they need to give him a longer extension (I, like most of you, do not expect this to happen). You don't let him coach into the final year of his contract though because there are a lot of variables that can cause that could blow up in the face of the athletic department.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 1:42 PM
  • Most under achieving team we have had in my memory. Who is responsible? Everyone. The players will leave on their own, but the coach needs to be shown the door.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 1:55 PM
  • sideline starter---this is why you are SIDELINE starter...ANYONE FOR ANY REASON AT ALL WHO ADVOCATES A EXTENSION FOR THIS LOSER COACH IS NOT VERY BRIGHT. Not taking a personal attack on you, but for no reason WHATSOEVER should this losing coach get a extension. He honestly should not be coaching on ANY level. He doesn't coach fundamentals, so he shouldn't even be allowed to teach the game to 3rd graders.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 3:23 PM
  • He needs to be fired. So what if he is a lame duck coach, maybe the fact that he HAS TO WIN TO SAVE HIS JOB will make him actually change something in his style. Maybe if he is fighting for his coaching life he will actually do something positive. SCREW THE RECRUITING DILEMA---if it takes playing out his contract then that's what has to happen. As I said before--no kid is going to come to SEMO BECAUSE OF NUTT. They may come here because they know he doesn't worry about defense, and they can try and make a name for themselves strictly on their offensive ability, but no real recruit will come here because they like this coach.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 3:28 PM

Sideline said he thinks he should go. He wasnt advocating for an extension. He just presented the argument someone (regardless of if they were bright or not) would give Nutt an extension.

And I agree it's time to move on. I liked Nutt personally the few times I have spoken with him, but his time has run it's course in my opinion. I thought to myself last night "can we really rebuild two major programs at the same time?". I came to th conclusion that SEMO fans might actually be more excited if both programs were redone next year. I attend all home SEMO football games, and am very excited for next year. If something new was done with basketball I would certainly attend more of those games as well.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 3:33 PM
  • I think the assistant coach Evans would do a heck of a lot better than Nutt. And as far as recruiting. .. Nutt recruited former player Zach House. Coach Rosser got all the Memphis players. Nutt is useless

-- Posted by datruth on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 3:38 PM

You don't let him play out the contract as a lame duck coach because that is when a coach can truly destroy a program. You can't punt a year of recruiting completely. That sets the program back another two. Not firing or extending him a year prolongs the rebuild by an even greater amount of time and essentially puts the new coach in the same position Nutt was in when he was hired. I know Nutt hasn't done a ton but SEMO basketball is not currently a dumpster fire. As much as we all want it to continue improving, you also do not want to let it get back to that low point. You have to be smart enough to know this. It isn't that complicated.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 3:51 PM

#Hire Tim Fuller

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 3:52 PM

Here is my serious take. Why keep him if you don't want him? If you wanna keep him give him assurances in the form of a extension.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 4:00 PM
  • The roster is going to look completely different next season, new coach or not. I can already see a couple of players that will most likely want to leave for greener pastures.

We're going to be stuck with a lame duck coach, a lame duck announcer and a team full of walk-ons and low-level JUCO transfers.

-- Posted by Aussie Aussie Aussie on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 4:02 PM
  • Again, anyone suggesting a extension is NUTTS. For any reason. IF YOU KEEP HIM YOU TELL HIM HE NEEDS TO PERFORM, AND THEN AT THE END OF CONTRACT YOU LEAVE IT OPEN TO AN EXTENSION. That way if he sucks---as we all know he will, then you go in a different direction. If God anoints him with some coaching ability over the offseason and he wins big THEN evaluate his whole body of work and decide if he gets an extension. YOU CAN PUBLICLY SUPPORT THE MAN, but do not commit to him in the form of extension. THIS SUGGESTION OF AN EXTENSION JUST FREAKIN BLOWS MY MIND ITS SO STUPID.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 5:59 PM
  • There's not exactly a ton of schools who would want this coach to run their program. THIS IS ABOUT IT. He will have a hard time finding a D1 program unless it's someone worse than SEMO. If he wants to continue coaching, this is as good as he will be able to find for his skill set. HOW WILL HE DESTROY THE PROGRAM IF HE IS A LAME DUCK COACH??????????????????? He should want to coach is rear off either to get an extension or save his flippin career. IF HE IS NOT FIRED, THEN LET HIM BE A LAME DUCK.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 6:08 PM
  • After reading Coach Evans record, I agree he might be the man for the job. He knows the game, players and they respect him. Why look outside the university when there is a terrific coach already there.

-- Posted by semofan17 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 6:12 PM
  • Dec, 2011 until 2014 posts---total around 111.

In 2014---almost 150! THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL DICKEY!

Datruth called for this in 2011, and many of us hated the hire in the first place. Tons of posts on here over the past couple weeks. HOPE THE AD IS TAKING NOTICE!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 6:28 PM
  • Just got kicked off semofans.com for suggesting Nutt SUCKED and needed to be fired. Love it...

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 7:17 PM
  • I don't see how he could hurt the program anymore than he already doing. Buy him out and move on.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 7:51 PM
  • I wonder if Alnutt will take our opinions into consideration

-- Posted by datruth on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 8:24 PM
  • Blast his voicemail and inbox full of messages.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 8:26 PM
  • I'm not a big SEMO fan or Dickey Nutt supporter but the suggestion that he doesn't teach fundamentals is absolutely ridiculous. I've been to a few of his practices and they do a great job of teaching fundamentals and emphasizing good communication. I wonder how many of the people posting on here have actually been to a practice of his or for that matter even really know all of the fundamentals of the game. I will grant you that this year's team has been very disappointing and should be better. There's no question that part of the blame falls on Coach Nutt, but it also falls on his staff and the PLAYERS!! Someone suggested that the University hire Coach Evans who is on his staff, so I suppose he is totally blameless for the team's struggles. It's called a coaching STAFF for a reason they're all working on coaching up the team. I've got several years of coaching experience at the HS level and have had my fair share of success, but I can tell you there comes a point in time when the players have to step up and make plays. Players must buy in and want to be coached. When I've seen this team play this year I see a lot of individuality, guys playing for themselves, when you have kids doing that it's very difficult to bring a team together. Dickey Nutt may or may not be the answer for the SEMO Basketball program but he certainly knows more basketball than I would say 99.9 percent of the people who post on here.

-- Posted by truthteller33 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 8:28 PM
  • I DON'T CARE IF YOU SHOWER WITH THE COACH AND THE WHOLE FLIPPIN' TEAM. I don't care if you go to EVERY practice. The proof is on the court! IF HE COACHES FUNDAMENTALS THEN WHERE ARE THEY? If they aren't executing them THEN THE "COACH" NEEDS TO PUT SOMEONE IN WHO DOES. Playing the almighty Lucas so much is part of the problem and that lies with the coach.

If players aren't buying into what the coach is telling them then maybe you are recruiting the wrong type of players.

I DON'T THINK ANYONE POSTING ON HERE IS SAYING THEY ARE GREAT COACHES, what people are saying---if you were smart enough to listen, or intelligent enough to analyze these posts, is that THERE ARE ALOT OF OTHER GOOD COACHES WHO COULD WIN WITH THIS TEAM...and actually, I bet there may be a A LOT of guys posting on here who could LOSE MORE GAMES IN A 20+ YEAR CAREER THAN THEY WIN. You argument makes you look idiotic. Sorry.

Maybe these players ARE here for themselves. Maybe that's why SEMO can get them to come here because THEY KNOW DICKEY NUTT is here to collect a paycheck and doesn't worry about defense.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 9:17 PM
  • LMAO

-- Posted by datruth on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 9:21 PM
  • LMAO

-- Posted by datruth on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 9:21 PM
  • Amen brother.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 9:49 PM
  • Preach, Billikenfan.

Seriously, I love it when people are like "Listen, I have seen them practice." Congratulations. That equates to nothing. We have ALL seem them on the court at game time and know the results same as everyone else.

We have won four out of 12 games in the OVC, and the OVC is having a very mediocre year by its standards. That simply won't cut it. I'd venture to say SEMO is the worst team in the OVC at this point in time.

-- Posted by Aussie Aussie Aussie on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 9:52 PM
  • Hard to imagine that, but you may be right about that. SIUE just lost by 10 to Murray, EIU lost at AP (and they may have pulled off the comeback if they had another minute), and 23 loss TNST only lost by 4 to Belmont!! Only SEMO lost at home to a team most people thought was the first or second worst team in the conf.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:04 PM
  • Billikenfan, you are way, way, way over the top. Your comments go way beyond the pale and smack of a personal vendetta. Why do you despise Coach Nutt so much? Does he owe you money or did he run over your dog or what? Do you remember what SEMO basketball was like before he got here? Yes, this season has been a disappointment and it's just possible he has taken the program as far as he can. I personally I think it is time for a new coach. But you and his other critics on this thread need to calm down. You all certainly need to stop the personal attacks on him and everyone else who disagrees with you.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:47 PM
  • Well I don't have any personal vendetta against anyone. I just want to WIN....and win NOW. Don't give "wait until next year," or 2 years or 5 years from now. This team should be winning A LOT this year. I don't care who the coach is. We haven't had a break out season with Nutt.

I doubt any school that hires a coach gives him or her 5-6 years to get things rolling.

Ok, so we're at the .500 mark overall, but we're terrible in the OVC.

I think it's time for a change.

-- Posted by semosoccer on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:08 PM
  • If we're .500 overall, that should tell you we have played some real stiff competition outside of conference. At least we can beat NAIA schools and IUPUI...pathetic.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:36 PM

I agree PMF at first his posts were interesting and insightful but after people started finally agreeing with him he's taken it upon himself as the leader of the lynch mob haha

Don't think huffing and puffing on here like that will accomplish anything, I'm just worried about your blood pressure, there's definitely something personal within your hate, especially as a sluh fan

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 12:12 AM
  • Garner 2001-2006 (His last five seasons) -- 49-90 (.353)

Edgar 2006-2009 -- 26-66 (.283)

Nutt 2009-2014 (His first five seasons to date) -- 62-90 (.408)

While you could argue that Nutt's winning percentage is the best of the three, a 41% winning percentage doesn't exactly give anyone a rise in the shorts.

And we'll give Nutt the benefit of the doubt and shave off his first two seasons, since he had to do some rebuilding. Since 2011, he has been right at the .500 mark (and a few games under .500 the last three years in the OVC, which has not been a tough conference, save for a few teams).

If a .500 coach is what you're looking for, you have your wish. It probably won't get much worse, but it won't get much better either. He is who he is. The most disturbing trend is the failure to consistently win in the OVC. If anything, this season has had the most talent on a SEMO roster in the last 14 years, and yet the team is 13-13, 4-8 in the OVC and on a downward spiral.

Speak for yourselves, but it seems many are content with mediocrity. Mediocrity doesn't put butts in seats, especially in the OVC.

-- Posted by Aussie Aussie Aussie on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 12:16 AM
  • There have been a lot of fans over the past few years who didn't like Nutt, wanted a different coach, or wanted to give Nutt a chance---because he is who they were stuck with. I wasn't a fan of Edgar, and HATED the Nutt hiring. After so many 20+ loss seasons ANY COACH can improve on that. BIG FREAKIN DEAL! WHOOOOO-HOO YOU made it to a game or two above .500! Playing in the OVC should GUARANTEE a credible coach a winning season EVERY YEAR. Throw in the NAIA or Div 2 schools, a D2 program that just moved up to D1 and heck, you should be winning 20+ games per year. Even when the guy gets talent, he apparently doesn't know what to do with it.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 12:53 AM
  • Some people who post on this board say Nutt deserves a chance, or that he has helped the program. Some say that maybe he has done all he can do and possibly should go. Look, if you are happy with this program then by all means let them know AND SHOW UP FOR A GAME. If you are unhappy THEN SHOW UP FOR A GAME and let him hear it! Call the AD and complain. It's apparent that not showing up to games doesn't seem to send a message to the administration because the crowds have SUCKED for a long time and they gave him an extension. SO YEAH, I'M GONNA COMPLAIN ON HERE AND HOPE EVERYONE ELSE DOES TOO.

Datruth started this in 2011 and a lot of us have said the same thing for years. Nutt is not a good coach. There are people agreeing with me, and maybe I'm one of the louder voices right now, but all I'm doing is carrying on the torch that others started. I'm kinda like Matt Carpenter last season for the Cardinals...things heated up when he started to bat lead off. So maybe I helped get the topic going again, and by the looks of the posts I have plenty of guys batting behind me to keep the rally going. If you don't like it, then I suggest you go over to the other sites and you all can have a Dickey Nutt love fest.

DID YOU SEE THE FLIPPIN GAME LAST NIGHT? Some of you say you go to games, (some of the SUPER INTELLIGENT FANS GO TO PRACTICES TOO and that allows them to make MUCH BETTER ARGUMENTS TO KEEP NUTT), but if you are so bright, then why can't you see that the fan base has dwindled--what is your excuse for the terrible crowds over the years? If he is doing a good job then why aren't the fans coming out? This team would die if they had the same amount of fans that the old D2 teams had at the pit. It's hard to tell on tv, but it seriously looked like there were about 250 people there.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 1:13 AM
  • Preacher Man Fan--- this guy is a college coach. Critics are everywhere. You don't get into coaching if you have a thin skin. You are in the public eye. YOU WILL BE JUDGED ON YOUR SUCCESS AND FAILURE. I have nothing against this man personally. I have a lot against his lack of coaching ability! Hard working people PAY to come to games, buy shirts and hats---people who may not really be able to afford it, but they want to show their support. THIS COACH SHOULD APOLOGIZE TO THE CITY, COUNTY, STATE, AND REGION for sucking so bad! He should be ashamed to cash his paycheck. I'm sure he's an ok guy, he would just be alot better served to be working the drive thru at DQ or something (sorry if I insulted any fast food workers).

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 1:19 AM
  • I'm with Preach. I've been against Nutt all season and have openly said so. But Billikenfan is a little extreme. I do appreciate his insight and energy but the all caps has given me a headache.

Billikenfan I'm with you 100 percent. But ultimately it's not up to us fans. It's up to a variety of factors that not too many people have the knowledge of - me being one of those people who have no idea.

I wish it was as simple as Alnutt saying "See you later." But it's not and we all know it. If Dickey continues to coach then he continues to coach and I'll continue to root for the Redhawks. I won't continue to go to games because I can't stand to watch his team on the floor - but I'll continue to wish him and the Redhawks luck.

Anybody who says they wish SEMO would lose so Dickey can be gone is and never will be a fan. I'm hoping SEMO can close this year and crash the OVC tourney. However, winning four games is next to impossible and I have to strongly disagree with anybody on here who believes if SEMO catches fire they could win four. Bottom line is the fans saw the talent we have early in the season and had high expectations (along with other teams/coaches/ADs) and we were voted to win the West. The truth is the talent isn't as good and the coaching style isn't near up to par.

In all seriousness, thanks to Dickey for taking the program in shambles to making it a bottom tier D1 program and I don't mean that in any disrespect. Hopefully we can now get a coach who can get us to the next level of competing year in and year out with the OVC.

-- Posted by bobty423 on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 9:03 AM
  • "THIS COACH SHOULD APOLOGIZE TO THE CITY, COUNTY, STATE, AND REGION for sucking so bad!"

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *breath* hahahahahahahahaha *breath* hahahahahahahahaha Wheeeeew!!!!

Tell us how you really feel Bill.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 9:04 AM
  • Who pays Nutt's salary?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 11:04 AM
  • State institution. State employee. Tax money has to be a factor right? Am I wrong? If any portion of my tax dollars are going to pay this man in a direct or indirect way---I HAVE THE RIGHT TO COMPLAIN. Sorry, deal with the caps. As a fan, I have the right to complain.

Bobty423, so a real fan should never root for their team to lose? So if the Rams are 2-13 and only have to lose the last game to assure the number one draft pick and it's a franchise changing pick---you would want them to win a meaningless game and throw away a chance to turn the team around? I think most fans would LOVE to see their team lose in a case like that so the future would be brighter. Same thing here. If it means that SEMO would lose more games in this already crappy season to insure that Nutt would be gone then yeah. I hope they lose. Look at a new coach as a #1 draft pick. Someone with a chance to come in and help turn the program around. Just my opinion.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 11:19 AM

No are not wrong, he is public employee therefore tax dollars to have effect on his salary.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 11:22 AM
  • Ok, so if the head of the highway dept, state police, dept of WHATEVER...pick your dept--if they were doing a subpar job (losing record should be equivalent to being subpar I think) then the public would be up in arms. He is not performing at a adequate level and using my tax dollars to live off of. Enough reason he should be gone.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 11:27 AM

Bradley's MRI came back negative for ligament damage, listed as day to day.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 11:45 AM
  • Glad to hear that.

Quick question: What is the tie breaker system to qualify for the OVC tournament. If EIU loses and falls to 6-8, and Jvst and Semo both win then there are 3 teams with 8 losses (EIU still has more wins), but if 2 or 3 teams end up tied at the end then what is the criteria for determining who makes it? I'm sure head to head would come into it somewhere, but EIU and SEMO split their 2 games..so again what happens?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 11:52 AM
  • I guess some of you guys posting on here think there is some great legendary coach out there just dying to come here to coach SEMO. Take a look at the winning percentages of the previous head coaches, not too impressive. Also, to say the lack of attendance at home games is a Dickey Nutt issue is bogus. I went to games when both Garner and Edgar were coaching and there was nobody there. I'm not saying Dickey Nutt is a great coach because I don't think that he is, however he's not the pariah that Billiken makes him out to be. I personally think that Billiken should apply for the job when it comes open because clearly he has all the answers, just ask him.

-- Posted by truthteller33 on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 12:57 PM
  • Part of my tution for the past 4 years has gone towards the athletic department....can i get a refund because they suck?! lol

-- Posted by datruth on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 1:37 PM
  • truthteller33 - I agree with you when you say that SEMO is going to get some legendary coach to come..I just think we can get someone who is better.

Maybe the attendance would be higher if we were winning more. The year the football team won the OVC the stadium was rockin but when we have losing season after losing season...who would want to come and watch

-- Posted by datruth on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 1:42 PM
  • Attendance is a wining issue, not wining is a Dickey Nutt issue. Transitive property, Attendance is a Dickey Nutt issue

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 1:44 PM
  • Good point Shakespeare!

-- Posted by truthteller33 on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 2:02 PM
  • Billikenfan, the more you rant and rave on here, the more people are going to tune you out.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 2:43 PM

I feel the same way about you PMF. And I personally love people like truthteller who get all sarcastic and act like just because people gripe and complain about a coach then they should apply for the job. Am I qualified to coach? No, I am not. And it does not take someone qualified to be a coach to know when an actual coach sucks! Years of sub-500 seasons pretty ample proof that a coach sucks.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 2:53 PM
  • Nutt doesn't "suck" as a coach, but he's not going to win any conference championships at the helm.

He'll give you a bunch of seasons where he wins anywhere from 6-9 games in the OVC, maybe win a tourney game and get knocked out.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

-- Posted by Aussie Aussie Aussie on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 3:12 PM
  • truthteller33

---Thank you! FINALLY someone who sees I have all the answers!

How much do you think I could make if I took the job? It may cut down on being able to rant on here tho...

First off, there are only so many D1 jobs out there and a lot of good coaches would be interested. At some point neither Smart at VCU, or Stevens (formerly ) at Butler were given a shot. "Name" coaches have to MAKE their name. Nobody is suggesting that Bruce Weber, Travis Ford, or Mike Anderson (example folks..for the sake of argument) would take a job like SEMO, but there are alot of GOOD coaches who would be interested. We may not know much about them, but at least I pray the next coach doesn't have a 15 year losing record. Another key is if the money is right to get a quality coach. You may have to go with a young coach that may settle for a little less money. As long as the man can coach and recruit, the rest will take care of itself. Turn the page and get a fresh start.

JOLLY DUMP

---you COULD be qualified to coach, but only if you have been going to practices--THAT means you know what you are talking about.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

---yeah I just double-checked. He does suck.

BILL SHAKESPEARE

---Thank you for clarifying the point I must have failed to have gotten across. The attendance is a direct result of poor performance, and that falls on Nutt.

PREACHER

---it definitely would be a HUGE loss for everyone if I were tuned out. Thank you so very much for your concern.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 3:57 PM
  • ***When Smart and Stevens were given opportunities they were not exactly a big name hire.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 3:59 PM
  • I'm gonna figure out where billikenfan works and at the end of the night while he is sweeping up I will continually yell insults about how he missed a spot.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Feb 15, 2014, at 1:07 AM
  • Couple of ways to take that...either you're trying to make an insult by insinuating that I am someone working in a custodial position, or you are being witty.

Your tax dollars aren't going to pay for ANYTHING I do, so you can't comment on my performance---but if I did sweep floors I WOULD DO A EXCELLENT JOB. On the other hand, Nutt is paid by tax dollars so YEAH I can complain.

Since I will choose to believe that you were being witty, I will tip my cap to you and NOT throw back at you.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 15, 2014, at 7:13 AM
  • IndianPride with the similar comment at TruthTeller

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Sat, Feb 15, 2014, at 10:02 AM
  • I wonder how many of Dickey Nutts career wins are against NAIA schools

-- Posted by datruth on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 9:26 AM
  • Oh C'mon Datruth, that's a low blow! You know as well as I do that those were hard-fought, closely matched games. First of all Nutt was being outcoached in all of them, and he probably played his least talented players--making it a much closer contest. He deserves those hard fought wins.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 10:21 AM
  • Datruth, you better be careful or someone may start to criticize you for being vocal.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:16 PM
  • these forums have gotten out of hand

-- Posted by datruth on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 4:58 PM
  • Embrace it Datruth. You called for this years ago and there are a lot of poeple who support your view. If someone doesn't like it then that's too bad. They can make some noise to KEEP Nutt. I have a feeling this will pick up steam again in a couple of weeks when we all have a better idea how SEMO will finish the season. There's still a pretty decent shot at making the OVC tournament, crazy as it sounds..so you may have to deal with Nutt longer than you want to.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 5:42 PM
  • So we have to lose to talk on here?! Lol

-- Posted by datruth on Fri, Feb 21, 2014, at 5:18 PM
  • Nah, even if they win make the OVC tournament, I won't change my opinion of the man. If however they would make the OVC tournament and WIN IT for the automatic bid, I have to admit it would be tough to argue against the man (even though I believe he is sub-par). He is capable of getting a team to a NCAA tournament once every 15 years or so.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 21, 2014, at 7:19 PM
  • Billikenfan...get a life.

-- Posted by Stlball10 on Fri, Feb 21, 2014, at 11:26 PM
  • OMG Stlball10 you are so so so creative! How long did it take you to come up with that?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 6:11 PM

BUZZER BEATER!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 6:22 PM
  • Now we will at least finish .500 overall!

-- Posted by datruth on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 6:24 PM
  • Above .500 ---dang that must be close to a career year for coach Nutt.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 6:54 PM
  • Just read where Lucas Nutt leads the OVC in assist to turnover ratio during conference play. That's right...leads the OVC.

-- Posted by Grussman on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 7:11 PM
  • Congratulations to Coach Nutt and the players on the win. Finally a late game, banked in three goes our way!!!!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 8:52 PM
  • If you are 14th in the nation in scoring, there has to be a lot of assists. Just saying.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 9:16 PM
  • I know you aren't trying to make a case for Lucas Nutt being a GOOD D1 player...

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 9:18 PM
  • 14Th in nation in scoring. Very Impressive!!!

Go Redhawks!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 9:52 PM
  • Leading any conference in D1 in assist to turnover is also very impressive!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 9:53 PM

Lucas Also set a record tonight for most starts at SEMO. 102 games I believe.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 10:19 PM
  • Yes 14th in the nation in scoring is very impressive, so shouldn't they be running away with a weak OVC conference?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 10:28 PM
  • Congrats to Lucas Nutt. Obviously a great teammate!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 10:31 PM
  • So who's fault is it they are having to fight for their conference lives? Why is it that they are (or were a few days ago) 14th in scoring, but UNDER .500 IN A WEAK CONFERENCE?!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 10:31 PM
  • Obviously the greatest teammate in the history of FOREVER!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 10:32 PM
  • Most starts at SEMO....drum roll please:

Luuuuuuuuucas Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut! Coached by: Dad

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 10:38 PM
  • Billikenfan=Scott Edgar son=Bitter

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 11:25 PM
  • That's the best you can come up with?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 11:35 PM
  • You are so creative. How long did it take you to come up with that?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 11:42 PM
  • Instantly! I know, it's friggin amazing.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 22, 2014, at 11:47 PM
  • Any time your daddy is the coach and you start and "set" the record it should come with a grain of salt.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 1:17 AM
  • Who knows, after the record-setting, ALL-TIME OVC GREAT Lucas Nutt graduates and becomes a member of Dickey's coaching staff---he can coach the guards EVERYTHING he knows and you can all look forward to years and years of Lucas Nutt version 2 running the show!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 10:59 AM
  • I'm not saying there is a PG on the current roster who is better than Lucas; but I would bet dickey has passed on a better recruit so he isn't forced to not play Lucas. Basically he's not going to recruit under his own son.

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 1:31 PM
  • And that should be reason enough for his dismissal. His job is to recruit the best talent and play the best talent so they WIN...not to make sure his kid is able to log D1 minutes. How many point guards would want to play here anyway when the coaches kid is going to get all of the playing time regardless of talent. All you have to do is listen to a post game interview with the coach to tell that he thinks his kid is the one and only saving grace for the program.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 1:46 PM
  • I'm sorry Billikenfan...I just couldn't pass up throwing gasoline on your fire with the Lucas OVC assist post. And you didn't disappoint :)

Although Coach Nutt did openly criticize Lucas in the Missourian article regarding yesterday's game.

It obviously remains to be seen but Reese and Calvin may have the talent to do better over the course of their careers than Lucas. Whether they should have been playing more this year it's hard to say but I don't think the staff hasn't recruited the best talent they can find. Where did Telvin Wilkerson end up after transferring out? Was he a PG or SG?

-- Posted by Grussman on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 5:07 PM
  • Grussman, I appreciate any opportunity to enlighten the masses regarding the Nutts.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 5:44 PM
  • Wilkerson was more of a 2 guard but he was a better 1 than Lucas. He saw the writing on the wall and got out. Did what most of this roster should have done.

If I am Jarekious and I score 32 and grab 8 boards and the coach says in the paper his son was the MVP with 13 points 5 assists and 6 turnovers, I am telling that coach to kiss my *** and I'm out. If I'm Tyler Stone and I grab 16 rebounds to go along with 9 of 11 from the field and 21 points and my coach says in the paper I didn't step up like I should have, I'm telling him kiss my ***, I'm out.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 5:56 PM
  • Thank God there aren't any more Nutt boys. Please tell me there aren't any cousins that play basketball.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 6:17 PM
  • Hopefully there isn't any more Nutts...

-- Posted by datruth on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 8:38 PM
  • I have to say it again. Anyone who leads a D1 conference in assist to turnover ratio has to be a pretty decent player.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 8:56 PM
  • Decent maybe. It is the OVC which hasn't exactly been a powerhouse conference over the last 4 years, and when you don't play defense and only worry about scoring, I think it's going to be easier to pad some numbers. DECENT, but I would argue that a different player would have put up comparable numbers, and a GOOD player would have put up even better numbers and made a difference in a few games over the 4 years. No way to know for sure, but seeing games here and there, he looked like a marginal D1 player at best.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 9:32 PM
  • Indian, you're looking at a number on a piece of paper. Go watch the kid play. Almost all of his assists are making a simple pass to the wing to a wide open jump shot. It's not like he's penetrating, drawing the defense to collapse and dishing off. And not to mention he couldn't guard his own shadow.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 9:55 PM
  • IndianPride is a Nutt huger. He loves him some Dickey Nutt basketball no matter how cruddy the team plays.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 10:07 PM
  • I dont know what a "huger" is but I do know SEMO basketball is better after the time the Nutts have been here than before.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 10:14 PM
  • Man, this has been discussed so much--and I explained it in as simply as I could for you Indianpride...of course it is going to be better than 3 wins. The worst pickup game coach could win more than that. So Nutt got the program to around .500--he did his job now move on and let someone else build it to respectability. I'm sorry, but this is the OVC and you should be beating all but about 3 to maybe 4 teams each year. There is absolutely no reason to lose more than 4 conference games in any season in this conference. SEMO should be fighting for a automatic bid to the NCAA tournament on a consistent basis in this league.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 9:04 AM
  • Tyler Stone has underachieved. You guys want to put all of this on Nutt playing his son, which is really dumb. If Tyler and Nino(especially Nino) played the way they were capable of on a consistent basis SEMO would be where we all think they should be.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 9:55 AM
  • Amen jwhitlock.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 10:09 AM
  • They have underachieved but Nutt is and always will be a 500 career coach and that's never going to change.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 11:29 AM
  • Players have to be put in a situation where they can perform at full potential

-- Posted by datruth on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 11:58 AM
  • I'm not going to argue that Tyler Stone has not been allowed to wonder away from the paint too often. I'm not even trying to say Coach Nutt is not to blame. All I'm saying is it's sad to blame the teams results primarily on the playing of Lucas Nutt. Lucas is a good guard who has been solid. Not spectacular, but solid.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 12:09 PM
  • I don't think anyone is saying the only problem with Semo is Lucas Nutt.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 3:27 PM
  • Or primarily*

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 3:28 PM
  • Any coach worth anything at all will tell you it all starts with guard play...so if you are only "solid" then you will only be mediocre at best.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 4:48 PM

Any time a coach's son is the record holder for most games played will definitely raise some eye brows

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 7:01 PM
  • He's probably the record holder because of the 10 or so games he played his freshman year before getting hurt..I'm sure many more people have started every game for their 4 years here. Lucas just got a fifth because of a medical redshirt.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Tue, Feb 25, 2014, at 3:54 AM
  • I have wondered how the most critical folks' perception of Lucas would be if everything was the same in terms of performance but that he just had a different last name. Right or wrong, justifiable or not, his last name definitely puts him under a more critical microscope because of peoples' obsession with nepotism.

-- Posted by Grussman on Tue, Feb 25, 2014, at 7:45 AM

The medical redshirt year makes sense

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Tue, Feb 25, 2014, at 12:41 PM
  • Grussman. That has basically been my point. Again, to lead any D1 conference in assist to turnover ratio is impressive. The most important stat for a PG IMO.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Feb 25, 2014, at 3:00 PM

SEMO has had some decent players over the years and it is extremely hard to fathom LNutt has played in more games than any of them. Many fans like myself believe DNutt has passed on better players because of his son.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Feb 25, 2014, at 4:14 PM
  • Jolly: who knows if that's the case or not but, if so, that would be absolutely ridiculous. I would be surprised if DNutt is really that short-sighted. I mean, really???

-- Posted by Grussman on Tue, Feb 25, 2014, at 5:03 PM

I kinda agree with jolly dump, I just hope this is the last season under nutt. For you to be the player that holds the record for most games played means your one of the best players on the team and you stay for all four years. But I seriously doubt he deserves to be on SEMO's mount Rushmore. Do you guys believe he is the best PG Semo could honestly get?

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Tue, Feb 25, 2014, at 5:10 PM
  • You mean short-sighted in the fact that he either gives his son all the praise in post-game interviews or has to throw other players in with his son if Lucas has a bad game? Those post-game comments PROVE how short-sighted he is---Who was it Stone or Bradley who went 9-11 with a ton of rebounds and he gets lumped in with his son as having a tough night??? COME ON AND OPEN YOUR EYES! GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ! No doubt he has passed on better point guards so his son can play, if comments like he has been making regarding his Lucas' play is any indication.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 25, 2014, at 5:31 PM
  • I wonder how much playing time Lucas would have gotten had his last name NOT BEEN NUTT and his dad wasn't the coach? I think that's the better question to ask. Some of the terrible defensive performances, the crucial turnovers--C'Mon, no way that kid would have gotten the same minutes had he not been the coaches son.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 25, 2014, at 5:36 PM

And it's not just that he has played the games, I believe the record was most games STARTED. So not only did he play a lot of games, he started a lot of games. Not bashing him, just clarifying the record.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Feb 25, 2014, at 5:39 PM

Thanks buck you knew what I meant haha, any chance you'll be at the c4d1 tourney any?

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Tue, Feb 25, 2014, at 5:55 PM

I know I know haha, it just sounds worse when the person started all those games lol. Yeah I am going to try too. I've been to the c4d1 finals the last 7 years, and Im going to try and go to the finals this year too!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Feb 25, 2014, at 5:57 PM
  • You guys can go on and on about this. Fact is, you can't do anything about it. He starts, leads the ovc in assists-to ratio, breaks semo baksetball records. Are you playing D1 basketball? Are you the coach? Are you the admin? There is obviously something that really upsets you Billikenfan. Either you are jealous or something. For someone who is a Billikenfan, this topic sure does interest you alot.

-- Posted by Stlball10 on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 11:43 AM
  • Because unlike many closed minded idiots, I CAN CHEER FOR NUMEROUS AREA TEAMS. I think it sucks that SEMO sucks, I think it sucks that Mizzou is playing like they don't care if they make the dance, and I think it sucks that people like you are too blind to distinguish between good and bad play based on a stat sheet.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 4:13 PM
  • I suppose you believe that every kid in every pee wee game should get a ribbon or trophy too huh? I guess you prefer to embrace mediocrity on the basis that it makes it more fair for everyone involved...so nobody will have to fee like a loser huh? Well, if you can honestly watch the kid play, you will see that he is NOT that good. He probably only deserved about 30% of the playing time he got. This coach (dad), hurt his teams chances by playing his son so much. He probably did his kid a disservice by doing it too, because for all of the Nutt lovers who like to try and lift the kid up, there would probably be a large portion of the haters who would feel a little differently about the kid if he was what he should be (a mere role player). As it is, he is in the game at crucial spots where he needs to GUARD SOMEONE, NOT MAKE A TURNOVER, OR NOT THROW UP A ILL-ADVISED 3 OR A RUNNER IN THE LANE OVER 4 DEFENDERS. Watch the games and stop looking at a stat sheet.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 4:26 PM
  • Billikenfan you seem hell bent on proving your point regarding Lucas Nutt and his dad. You like to talk about your vast knowledge regarding basketball and how stat sheets only show "half" the story. Why don't you comment on the "real" problems regarding Semo which mainly have to do with the following:

Tyler Stone's refusal to dominate like his talent dictates he should do in the OVC.

Nino Johnson's lack of production. Nino could play professionally if he got going.

Semo's lack of defensive mindset.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 4:57 PM
  • All three of those are bigger issues than Lucas Nutt being the PG.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 5:24 PM
  • Tyler Stone and Nino Johnson may not be living up to their potential, but this discussion is about COACH NUTT. The Lucas Nutt part of the discussion came in from MANY PEOPLE who believe COACH NUTT is playing LUCAS NUTT too much and hurting the team's chance for success. The defensive mindset is on the coach. If you are a defensive minded coach then you RECRUIT defensive minded players or COACHABLE players. If you don't have the ability to coach them up then get different type of players. It's pretty evident that for whatever reason, this team cannot play defense. Either they aren't coached correctly, the players don't respect the coach enough to make the effort, or the players that the coaching staff recruited CAN'T or WON'T play defense. Most often the PG is the court General. By playing a inferior player at such a key position you are setting the team up for failure. MAYBE THE REAL PROBLEM IS COACH NUTT. Maybe a different coach who would play his best players, and recruit better players would actually MOTIVATE Nino Johnson and Tyler Stone to perform harder or motivate the team to buy into what the coach is trying to get through to them.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 5:37 PM
  • IndianPride--lets say you work in a office where the office manager is the General Manager's son. The office manager isn't the best qualified to run the office but the GM keeps him in the position---even though sales are down and the sales force isn't really operating at their capability. In meetings with the OWNER, the GM praises his Office Manager son, or if he has to be critical of his son, he throws the best salesman under the buss even though the salesman had a killer month. All of this crap can bring the mood in the office down to where NOBODY really cares about their performance, the quality of their work, etc...all they are there to do is ride it out and collect a paycheck. There is a direct correlation to Nutt and his PG son and how this team is performing.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 5:44 PM
  • *bus

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 5:46 PM
  • The other aspect is that maybe, just maybe, Stone and Johnson either aren't as good as you think, or they are uncoachable. If they can't be coached then the staff should have done a better job of finding that out before they signed them.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 5:49 PM
  • In your scenario I'll still take pride in my own work because that's what I believe in. Everyone has to take responsibility for themself at some point and not blame others.

That's what makes a good team. Whether it be sales or sports!

Btw. I'll discuss whatever I want.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 6:26 PM
  • It's all well and good that YOU would take pride in your work. I'm sure your employer appreciates that.

If however people have to take responsibility for themselves then Dickey Nutt should resign and not blame others. Dickey Nutt should say it is on his shoulders and he is stepping down---rather than say a 9-11 16 rebound performance is a tough game...

Btw, I never said you couldn't discuss a particular subject, all I said was that this particular discussion had to do with firing Nutt and whether his kid getting so much playing time or not was brought up as part of the reason why the team sucked...must have been a hard day for you at the drive-thru window...slightly irritable.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 6:41 PM
  • Thank you for allowing me to arrange my own thoughts! It's hard to do with all these orders coming in though.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 7:11 PM
  • and I said NO MUSTARD!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 7:14 PM
  • That wasnt mustard. I have a pretty bad cold right now!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 7:25 PM
  • Nice!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 26, 2014, at 7:36 PM

"Everyone has to take responsibility for themself at some point and not blame others."

Right there IndianPride just lost his DNutt argument. Signed, Sealed, Delievered!

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Thu, Feb 27, 2014, at 12:52 PM
  • One thing is for certain, if there's a Mrs. Nutt or a Grandma Nutt, I'd say they have to have pretty thick skin to put up with all of us enlightened thinkers on these forums. If it were me I'd tend to want to jack slap us all around!

-- Posted by Grussman on Thu, Feb 27, 2014, at 3:46 PM
  • I'm sure Grandma Nutt is all over the inter webs.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 27, 2014, at 6:44 PM
  • If SEMO clinches a OVC tournament spot tonight, will there be a new thread to sign him to an extension after such a magnificent accomplishment?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 27, 2014, at 6:50 PM
  • I think his job might be safe this year..I don't want it to be but I'm starting to feel like it is

-- Posted by datruth on Thu, Feb 27, 2014, at 7:44 PM
  • Okay everybody, on the count of three lets all say "billikenfan is smarter then you"!

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Feb 27, 2014, at 7:46 PM
  • I'm sure the administration won't make any decisions without talking to you first Billikenfan.

-- Posted by Stlball10 on Thu, Feb 27, 2014, at 8:52 PM
  • What argument have I made for Dickey Nutt?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Feb 27, 2014, at 8:53 PM
  • Congrats on the win! What a terrible final 11 seconds from AP.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Thu, Feb 27, 2014, at 8:57 PM
  • Nutt is about to have his best winning percentage at SEMO.

-- Posted by datruth on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 12:51 AM
  • If people would listen to me, the world would be a waaaaay better place for sure!

Now that SEMO is playing stellar D and blowing OVC opponents off the court, dare you dream of a OVC automatic bid?? Wow, you would NEVER get rid of Nutt if he made a tournament. You could have 10-12 seasons of 13-16 wins and 15-17 losses looking you in the face real soon! Get ready fans.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 8:05 AM
  • I bet Billikenfan sits behind a desk all day curling his nose hairs while eating peanuts.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 8:55 AM
  • I like to braid them. There a problem with that?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 9:01 AM
  • IndianPride--

People being accountable for their own actions/results...not blaming other people. THAT was the argument you made, and it applies to Dickey Nutt as well. Again, what was it we just went over in the training manual?? Pull your head out or you may be back on the fryer today.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 9:05 AM
  • Lucas Nutt future hall of famer?! i think thats the next dumbass forum that will be made.

-- Posted by datruth on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 11:33 AM
  • Oh, he should have a spot just ahead of Otto Porter---make no mistake about it! Lucas Nutt, Otto Porter, Terry Mead...clearly Nutt has been the best player to ever wear a SEMO uniform whether Indian or Red Hawk.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 11:45 AM
  • Come to think of it, Dickey Nutt should probably be enshrined into the NCAA Hall of Fame too. You don't take over a program with 3 wins and in 5 seasons have them a game under .500 in one of the toughest conferences in all of college basketball like he has. To beat teams like Eastern Illinois, SIUE, UTM, Jacksonville State, Tn tech, I mean C'mon it may as well be the ACC. Clearly this is one of the greatest coaching jobs ever turned in by a collegiate coach. Seriously I bet he would have beaten John Wooden 9 out of 10 times.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 11:49 AM
  • Nice win over Murray today. 65-57. Maybe they are going to peak at the right time!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 6:07 PM
  • Oops. That was the womens score I guess. Hope it goes the same for the men! Bad info from my kid from Twitter.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 6:10 PM
  • They winning at half a against Murray. I don't think Murray has anything to lose or gain from this game

-- Posted by datruth on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 6:22 PM
  • SEMO up 6 at the half! Found it on radio and sounds like a fun game!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 6:23 PM
  • Not saying SEMO won't win, but did you seriously think this team only gave up 57 points in a GAME?! C'mon IndianPride, I know we give each other alot of crap but EVEN I THOUGHT YOU WERE SMARTER THAN THAT..it's at halftime right now and they have given up 46 at half.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 6:29 PM
  • Yeah. I'll admit my mistake on that one. Hopefully that top ranked offense will keep rolling though!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 6:38 PM
  • EIU and SIUE close...

Lots of top 25 teams in trouble or already lost...

#4 Syracuse loses

#7 Louisville loses

#9 Creighton loses

#10 SLU in trouble at VCU

#11 Cincinnati falls

#15 Iowa State losing

#17 Kentucky losing

#18 Michigan State falls

#24 Texas falls

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 6:50 PM
  • SLU has way too many turnovers and giving up way too many offensive rebounds to VCU. The A10 lead down to 1 game now...unless VCU decides to play some SEMO style defense in the last 3 minutes lol. C'MON and show me some of that Red Hawk defense VCU!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 6:53 PM
  • Best winning percentage of the Dicey Nutt era....must of seen this forum and then turned the team around

-- Posted by datruth on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 7:48 PM
  • Double overtime. ..sounds like a heck of a game!

-- Posted by datruth on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 7:49 PM
  • IndianPride if you have high speed internet the SEMO game can be viewed on ESPN.com for free. Just went into double overtime

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 7:49 PM
  • I think I saw Lucas Nutt doing a fabulous coaching job after he fouled out. Don't worry Red Hawk fans, there could be another Nutt in your coaching future!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:12 PM
  • Thanks Billiken. I found it on KFVS webcast actually. Hell of a finish. Congrats SEMO!! Denied a share of title for Murray as well!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:13 PM
  • SEMO could have a 20 win season. ..Nutt saved his job in my opinion. .or at least for now.

-- Posted by datruth on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:22 PM
  • Anyone know what seed we end with?

-- Posted by datruth on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:27 PM

I would say this recent upswing turnaround and win streak is attributed to coaching. (Reeling, reeling)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:30 PM
  • Whatever it was I thought the team showed tremendous heart and fight. Go SEMO!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:34 PM
  • 20 win seasons by Nutt are VERY few and VERY far between. They do seem to be on a bit of a roll though, and I don't think there is any way he doesn't save his job. Now as far as an extension goes, I think he SHOULD have to do some damage in the OVC tournament if not win it. As a whole though, they have underachieved to this point and really need to do something in the conference tournament just to fulfill the expectations this team had in the preseason.

If they could somehow pull it off, I think the detractors and vocal group need a huge amount of thanks from all of the fans. There is no doubt a direct correlation to the pressure we have been putting on this coach and team to pull their head out! And to think all of the Nutt lovers just thought we were being mean spirited.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:43 PM
  • Billiken. I love your passion, in an odd way. But if you think anything that anyone says on SEMOBALL had anything to do with their win tonight I'm gonna have to go back to disagreeing with you.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 9:11 PM
  • Oh no, we did it. WE DID IT.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 9:17 PM
  • Men's Tournament -- Schedule/Results

First Round: Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Game 1: #5 Tennessee Tech vs. #8 SIUE, 6:00 p.m. (OVCDN)

Recap | Box Score | Notes/Quotes | Live Video | Live Stats

Game 2: #6 Southeast Missouri vs. #7 Eastern Illinois, 8:00 p.m. (OVCDN)

Quarterfinals: Thursday, March 6, 2014

Game 3: #4 Morehead State vs. Winner of Game 1, 6:00 p.m. (OVCDN)

Game 4: #3 Eastern Kentucky vs. Winner of Game 2, 8:00 p.m. (OVCDN)

Semifinals: Friday, March 7, 2014

Game 5: #1 Belmont vs. Winner of Game 3, 6:30 p.m. (ESPNU)

Game 6: #2 Murray State vs. Winner of Game 4, 9:00 p.m. (ESPNU)

Championship: Saturday, March 8, 2014

Game 7: Semifinal Winners, 6:00 p.m. (ESPN2)

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 9:17 PM
  • Great job Coach Nutt.

-- Posted by Native Father on Sun, Mar 2, 2014, at 6:14 AM
  • I think you mean EXCELLENT JOB, future Hall of Famer Coach Nutt

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Mar 2, 2014, at 8:18 AM

Show Me Center should be renamed: The Dickey Nutt Arena. I mean after all he is the greatest basketball coach to have ever coached at SEMO or even the OVC. Then, Lucas' jersey should be retired and a statue erected as the greatest player ever at SEMO.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sun, Mar 2, 2014, at 8:44 AM
  • I'm guessing Lucas will likely be at least a good NBA player, maybe not a future hall of famed, but with everything he brings to the game, he will surely be in a few ALL-STAR games.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Mar 2, 2014, at 9:07 AM
  • Im glad you are starting to see the light Billiken.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Mar 2, 2014, at 10:29 AM
  • Yeah, it took awhile but now I believe both Dickey and Lucas should probably be remembered for generations to come as being as important of figures in the history of the state of Misosuri as Daniel Boone, or Truman.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Mar 2, 2014, at 11:21 AM
  • Maybe the stretch of I-55 from the Jaskson exit to the Dutchtown exit should be dedicated and renamed The Dickey and Lucas Nutt Highway.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Mar 2, 2014, at 11:24 AM

If the statues go up can we rename the Show-Me-Center the Nutt House!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Mar 2, 2014, at 11:36 AM
  • Nutt house!! Love it!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Mar 2, 2014, at 11:51 AM
  • The Nutt house...that's hilarious!

Now come on Billiken and crew...you've said all you can say so just lay off the Nutts until the season's over and let's just enjoy a little March Madness...however many games it is!

-- Posted by Grussman on Sun, Mar 2, 2014, at 12:09 PM

LOVE IT BUCK!!!

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sun, Mar 2, 2014, at 12:11 PM

Haha thanks guys!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Mar 2, 2014, at 12:43 PM
  • Start the petition for the name change and I will sign it!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Mar 2, 2014, at 12:44 PM

I'm on it!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Mar 2, 2014, at 12:50 PM
  • Lets see what happens tonight! This is a game we could easily win.

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 3:52 PM
  • Well SEMO is the "home" team, so that home court advantage will make all the difference.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 4:22 PM
  • ...the benefit of winning against Murray

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 4:22 PM
  • Which team will have the most fans there?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 5:50 PM
  • Well it was a crazy season...18-14...56% best in the nutt era!! Lol

-- Posted by datruth on Thu, Mar 6, 2014, at 10:56 PM
  • lol, well he is capable of putting up a 17-18 win season every 5 or 6 years among the 10-14 win seasons.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 8:00 AM
  • With Stone gone, we will have a hard time breaking even. I wonder if Cleveland will transfer + Reese is most likely gone since he hardly got to play. This was the year to do something and it was blown. Once again, the team came out with low energy. Funny - announcer on OVC net said he went to shoot around yesterday morning and said he never saw such a spirited practice the morning after the game. Guess our coach let them get worn out before the game.

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 8:41 AM
  • Nobody said Dickey Nutt wasn't a good practice coach. His .500 record is better than his career record in games.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:03 AM

Is there any rumors floating around of any leaving the program?

-- Posted by goBIGblue on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:50 AM
  • The only Nutt should be leaving the program is Alnutt

-- Posted by redboy on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 2:20 PM

Wow, is it a requirement to be snarky on this forum? Every basketball season has improved under Coach Nutt and all you've got is a lot of criticism. Do you even watch or attend the games? The program was on probation when Nutt took over, and hasn't had consecutive winning seasons since Garner's first 2 years. I'm disappointed Southeast didn't win the conference, but it is definitely on the upswing. The final home game versus Murray was the best game I have ever been to at the SMC. Hopefully they'll get to play in the CBI.

-- Posted by gazza33 on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 8:57 AM
  • Gaz - Snarky pretty much rules so get ready for a reply to your post. Expectations should be lower next year since MSU returns 4 starters and their 6th man. Agree about the last home game.

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 10:11 AM

SEMO72a and gazza33 love mediocrity......you guys are the epitome of why SEMO will never get anywhere because you settle for winning season instead of championships. But hey, at least SEMO isn't on probation and they had a winning season, who cares if they win the conference or conference tournament. Oh well....Lets all bow down to the great and powerful Dickey Nutt and his sons!!! All hail the great and power Nutt family.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 2:51 PM

JD,

I'm trying to be rational in the overall landscape of the basketball program's history. The facts are in 23 years of being in the OVC, we've won the conference season and tournament ONCE. It's been over a decade since we've had back to back winning seasons. There's been a steady progression under Nutt. If there's a drop in wins next year, then I'll be disappointed. Until then, I'll look forward to next years squad. Heck, even Murray State, who is the most storied program in the OVC hasn't won the tournament the last 2 years under Prohm. Should he be fired too??

-- Posted by gazza33 on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 5:02 PM
  • There is no reason SEMO can't be competing for a Championship every year along with Murray, Belmont, EKU, etc. All Nutt has done is be able to stay on a even level IN CONFERENCE with Eastern Illinois and SIUE---2 programs that have been TERRIBLE or NEW TO D1. This is about as good as it gets with this coach. He will continue to muddle along in mediocrity season after season and you people will just keep saying how bad it was when he got here. It will never change until you demand better.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 7:33 PM
  • At this point in his SEMO career, you would expect better results, especially with the talent on the team and the overall down year in the conference. If SEMO couldn't do it this year, then it could be a long time before they are in a position to make a run under this losing coach.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 7:38 PM

Murray may not have won the conference tournament but at least they are contenders every single season they are contenders....same for Belmont and EKU! SEMO will never be contenders with this coach and you all's content on mediocrity.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 8:57 PM
  • I guess we are getting what we paid for.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sun, Mar 9, 2014, at 2:58 PM
  • Jolly - You need to get your facts straight. I have said time and time again that I am disappointed in our results which falls on Nutt. I don't give money to the Boosters, but that's where change will come from. When the money supporters want a change it will happen. It's sad, but Nutt was hired to keep us out of trouble from violations more than winning championships. That's sad since a lot better coaches could have run a clean program. So unless you are big cash supporters I don't feel any of our demands will be heard. Like it our not, we will have to put up for this for one more year and then we go with a new coach.

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Mon, Mar 10, 2014, at 9:17 AM

SEMO, you just keep excusing the direction of the team. Myself and others are flat out fed up with this teams direction

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Sep 1, 2014, at 5:35 PM

I think its appropriate to resurrect this post.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 11:40 AM
  • Amen to that!!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 11:51 AM
  • You will never have a contending team year in and year out in Cape Girardeau. No one in town even attends games. Which is hard to draw in recruits with more attendance at high school games. No one wants to play with no crowd, we have a better town than others in our conference but the people of Cape and the area have no one to blame but themselves for the embarrassing support of the program.

-- Posted by abcd on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 11:57 AM
  • If Semo developed into a consistent winner the Show Me center would probably fill up with 3 or 4 thousand people for most home games and would be packed for the big games.

Dickey Nutt was hired to "clean up" the program. He has done that. I respect Nutt because he cares about his kids and doesn't bow to public pressure. But his record is what it is.

Crap offer the job to a guy like a Chris Lowery. I'm not saying he's the perfect fit because I have no idea what it takes. But it's going to take SEMO finding the right guy who can come in and run a clean program like Nutt has, as well as get the players to fulfill their potential.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 1:05 PM
  • Coach Nutt has never won anything anywhere he has been and he never will. He was a BAD hire when they got him and he still is.He needs to go ,and the sooner the better. Hire a GOOD young coach ,with a good system and move forward. "ASAP" Recruit local as much as possible if you want more fans at the games..

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 2:17 PM
  • This tread started 3 years ago and it's the same ole story with Dickey. Some people wanted to give him more time to get the guys he wanted but he's not capable of doing anything with them.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 2:58 PM

Yeah....this one trick pony is not worth the ride. You don't gain fans by putting out the same .500 team and play every single year. Last year was his best year out of 5 years and he only went 18-14. He is the same .500 coach we all knew he was, nothing has changed.

Since this thread was started:

2011-12 15-15 (9-7)

2012-13 17-16 (8-8)

2013-14 18-14 (8-8)

2014-15 7-10 (1-3)

Thats not getting the job done!

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 5:43 PM
  • I say bring in a young coach that is an assistant at a bigger program that is looking for his first chance as a HC.

-- Posted by arich35 on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 11:09 PM
  • Why can Murray State always hire good coaches, or so it seems.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Wed, Jan 14, 2015, at 10:02 PM
  • Joe, Murray has tradition that goes back almost 30 years at the D-1 level. Popeye Jones and Jeff Martin got it all started back in the late 80's. I also wonder if Murray doesn't pay a bit better than SEMO?

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Jan 15, 2015, at 9:50 AM
  • Just looked it up. Steve Prohm makes 270 grand a year with incentives. Dickey Nutt makes around 125 grand a year. There you go.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Jan 15, 2015, at 9:53 AM

Its easier to pay more when your teams are always selling out games and being competitive.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Thu, Jan 15, 2015, at 10:09 AM
  • That's why it's almost futile to bang on Dickey Nutt so much. He was out of coaching when he took the job. You're not going to get anyone with any experience to coach for that amount of money unless it's the only place they have to go. IF Semo would pony up some cash they could hire someone with a better track record.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Jan 15, 2015, at 10:13 AM
  • There's a reason he was out of coaching. Like it's been said hire a good young assistant who would be more than happy to take a head coaching job at Semo.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Jan 15, 2015, at 12:20 PM

Nutt was a safe hire. Everyone agrees that Nutt was the right coach to get this program out of the gutters with the NCAA rules violations, etc. So, I can see SEMO making the safe hire for cheap money until the program rebounds. But this is year 6 and the past 3 years have seen zero improvement. DNutt needs to go and SEMO definitely needs to increase salary.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Thu, Jan 15, 2015, at 2:20 PM
  • Even to all the Nutt detractors out there, it's hard to argue there hasn't been at least minimal improvement each year. As long as that continues I can't see SEMO making a coaching change and implementing a big salary increase for the next coach. If they can see even baby-step improvements year over year (even throw in a plateau year here and there) then they'll stick with that for as long as they can at $125K/year.

-- Posted by Grussman on Thu, Jan 15, 2015, at 11:11 PM
  • This is the most they can get out of Nutt period and hey, if you people are happy with that then keep on being the bottom feeders that you have been. They can hire a good young asst. for that $125.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 6:57 AM

Grussman you are what is wrong with Semo athletics. You have zero ambition to succeed and win championships. I have never seen a more passive sports post on Semoball than what you just posted.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 10:15 AM
  • I think what Grussman is saying is the unfortunate reality of the situation at SEMO. SEMO's higher ups probably don't care much about the level that the boys basketball program plays at. I think he's saying that SEMO is content to keep Nutt there as long as he has discipline in the program and his kids go to class. It appears that both are happening.

It was so bad during the Edgar era that the minimal improvements may look bigger to some folks.

I also agree with Dump in that the problem with SEMO athletics is they lack ambition. And it's not the head coach. You're not going to be able to find just any assistant to come and work for the peanuts that they are paid at SEMO.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 10:23 AM
  • Jolly Dump: I'm not a passive fan at all. I want them to win championships as much as the next person. And I'm certainly not saying it's right or that I like it but it just seems to be the way it is. They're getting decent value with Nutt because he has brought stability. If they bring in some unproven assistant for $125K and he happens to have a decent year (and THAT is a huge long shot), he'll move on QUICK. Then you're back at a very unstable situation with no ability to recruit and the cupboard goes bare again. Then you're back at 3-27. At some point SEMO is going to have to pony up the cash and make it more appealing, at lease in terms of salary. Nice city. Nice facilities. Nice access to good players. Need more $$$.

-- Posted by Grussman on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 12:46 PM

I apologize for misinterpreting your comments, Grussman. I read your comments as your point of view.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 2:37 PM
  • No problem, JD. Hey, I think we all want the same thing here...a winner. And it's not like Alnutt and Nutt don't want it that much more.

-- Posted by Grussman on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 3:25 PM
  • I think its pretty clear who has been bringing the talent to semo and that's the assistant. Coach Rosser needs to take over as head coach.

-- Posted by Harp1979 on Sat, Jan 17, 2015, at 1:00 PM
  • Harp,that is the last thing that SEMO needs is for Rosser to take over the program. If you have been to the Show- Me center for a game this year, you will see that Rosser is basically running the team, Nutt is the figure head and the team is playing uninspired basketball. Two game winning streak is nice, but if they can't get above 8-8 in conference its time to clean house. I have said this for three years, we need a young coach that wants to make a name for himself and is willing to work for basically what you guys call chump change in 125k. Alnutt is just as much to blame for this as anyone, after bowing out in the second round of the tournament, we decided that was enough to extend Dickey three more years. People seem to be forgetting that.

-- Posted by SEMOSportsfan1 on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 10:02 AM
  • As a fan, I'm more upset with the play and actions of the players than the wins and losses....if the kids play hard and act right the W's will take care of themselves. Bradley gets 2 T's last week and Coach Nutt "sends a message" by not starting him the next game and holding him out until the first media timeout. That definitely sent a message, but not the right one....IMO.

Coach Nutt has recruited kids, with issues, from big D1 programs. This style of "coaching" has led to a team full of underachievers and kids that aren't used to winning. Evidently, Coach Nutt isn't confident in his coaching abilities. He could take a little less talented kid who is a "winner" and train him. He is trying a quick fix right now...to get supremely talented kids but they have no heart and desire and they aren't coachable.

I personally like Dickey, but he has probably taken this program as far as he can.

On a positive note, he did an unbelievable job of even fielding a team his first two years. For that he should be commended....

-- Posted by T-Roll on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 10:41 AM
  • Coach should be commended for the fact his players are getting degrees and graduating....that is the bottom line! I like winning teams too, but getting an education is why they are here. Check graduation rates at the other OVC schools. And yes, huge difference in salaries. We are lucky to have Coach Nutt in our program. We have stability now give him more time. We can't keep changing coaches....

-- Posted by little bo peep on Sun, Jan 25, 2015, at 3:18 PM
  • Coach should be commended for the fact his players are getting degrees and graduating....that is the bottom line! I like winning teams too, but getting an education is why they are here. Check graduation rates at the other OVC schools. And yes, huge difference in salaries. We are lucky to have Coach Nutt in our program. We have stability now give him more time. We can't keep changing coaches....

-- Posted by little bo peep on Sun, Jan 25, 2015, at 3:46 PM
  • What are u wanting to do keep him 10 years and still be right where they are. I agree it's good that he does care about his players but this is college ball and he's there to win games as well as graduate players.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Jan 25, 2015, at 7:18 PM
  • You can have a coach that wins and have his players get degrees and graduate. You don't have to decide one or the other.

-- Posted by arich35 on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 1:49 AM
  • I agree but he doesn't win games.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 6:45 AM

Nutt has done what he was hired to do... Fix a sinking ship and clean up what was left of a broken down program. He is a good recruter and a decent coach. Just isn't the guy that can take Semo to where some people around here want them to be. Semo will not be the cream of the crop in the OVC. With lack of support and of course LOW PAYING positions it will be hard to get a quality young coach and keep them for any amount of time at all...

I think the only way to get a younger and better option is to go with someone who has ties to the area and might want to hang around this area. Beane(Bernie) and Gipson(Richland) are two of those types who might take the opportunity and stick it out with SEMO. I think SEMO should consider looking at both Anthony Beane(SIU) and/or Corey Gipson(Austin Peay)when they feel the move is neccesary. Both of these guys are local and have built a pretty solid resumes along the way.

Personally, I think Beane would be the best fit as he is from rival SIU and could use his knowledge of area recruits for building his recruiting footprint to make SEMO a more complete team. I mean Memphis and Little Rock are not the only 2 area where basketball players come from... Beane has connections in Illinois cause of his past coaching with Illinois State, SLU and SIU. He also has a past with SEMO being a former assistant(1997-2000). He helped the Redhawks to back-to-back 20-win seasons, including a 24-9 mark and a trip to the NCAA Tournament in 1999. I just think with his ties to the area and past relationship with SEMO he would be a great fit.

Corey Gipson also has built a solid coaching profile in just a short time. He has earned a name for himself as a solid recruiter. Which to land kids at SEMO is needed. Gipson spent the previous two seasons as associate head coach at North Carolina Greensboro. He was named to the UNCG staff as an assistant coach on June 20, 2009 and in 2010 was elevated to associate head coach. A strong recruiter, Gipson earned his promotion to associate head coach mainly due to his exceptional recruiting skills. Along with being the program's top recruiter, Gipson worked with the frontcourt players in 2011-12. Last spring, Gipson left UNC Greensboro for Furman after a head-coaching change was made at the North Carolina school. However, when Austin Peay head coach Dave Loos beckoned, the idea of returning to his alma mater and closer to home was just too appealing. Before arriving at UNCG, he spent four seasons on the staff at Division II Virginia State University in Petersburg, Va. He coordinated the Trojans' recruiting efforts for head coach Tony Collins, APSU's longtime assistant coach who had recruited Gipson out of junior college.

Either one of these guys could be a good fit if and when Semo feels a change is needed.

Just food for thought!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 11:06 AM
  • Good post Matt. Based on talent and predictions, another disappointing year so far both on and off the court. Other OVC teams rebuild and/or get better while we seem to have hit a plateau. I applaud our coach's decision with Bradley, but he is not the only coach available with integrity. It's time to hire a coach with both integrity and the ability to win. Many are out there, but we seem to like the status quo.

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 12:52 PM
  • Beane would be an excellent choice. Who knows if his youngest son pans out to be as good as he was there's his first recruit.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 1:02 PM

How much more time should Nutt get? 3 years? 5 years? His history speaks for itself. He is a career .500 coach.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 1:19 PM
  • One question is when is his current contract up?

-- Posted by Grussman on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 1:25 PM
  • I think he has two more years.

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 3:51 PM
  • Unless they have an out contractually or I'm missing something there's NO way SEMO is going to pay the remainder of his contract AND pay another head coach salary on top of that when Nutt does a decent job recruiting and is running a clean program that hovers around .500 It's just not going to happen.

-- Posted by Grussman on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 7:20 PM

I agree... He has done what he was hired to do!!! He has cleaned things up, gotten some quality players, been an overall good image for SEMO and even committed to bringing in some local players.

This is what everyone was talking about when he was hired! They wanted clean, better kids and local talent. GOT IT!

SEMO will not buy out his contract and I think he is one offensive weapon and a sound defensive strategy away from being tough enough that the coaching would be less about X's and O's and more about just being the more athletic and skilled team on the floor each night.

I could see Nutt actually retiring from coaching either after this season or after next if same results happen again. He is a good guy and I don't think he wants to be somewhere he isn't welcomed at anymore. I just think that many people are pleased with the fact he has a clean program, quality players and last but not least LOCAL PLAYERS!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 7:48 PM
  • MFoley: I like your point about "one offensive weapon & sound defensive strategy away..." It has felt like they've been SO close to taking another step forward and be able to win 20+ games but they just haven't been able to get over the hump for whatever reason(s). I obviously don't have the answer but I also don't think they're that far off so at least letting Nutt finish out his contract makes sense to me (both from SEMO's fiscal situation and with the chance that Nutt might be able to find the missing puzzle piece or two to greater success).

-- Posted by Grussman on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:51 AM
  • What local players that actually play and help the team?

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 10:40 AM

I see a lot of wishful thinking going on here. A lot of "maybe" and "what if" being thrown around.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 12:43 PM
  • "One offensive player away"

What will be after this season? 2? 3? We are losing Bradley (Our best player), Nino, Langford, and Adeyoe. We are losing a lot from this team and it is going to take a lot of talent to have a better team next year. I don't see that happening

-- Posted by arich35 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 1:10 PM
  • They Offered Stocks a full ride from what I heard

-- Posted by mk3 on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 8:06 AM
  • We just lost to SIUE by double digits. smh.

@arich35 your right. we losing our best big and our best guard we had in years.

-- Posted by datruth on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 10:33 PM
  • Who both have been playing poorly. This is a lost season. I would start getting the freshmen and sophomores a punch of time the rest of the season. Mainly Thomas, Coleman, Wallace, and Calvin

-- Posted by arich35 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:31 AM
  • That's a real shocker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 7:20 AM
  • Big..eh not really. Davidson was at bluffs practice the other day

-- Posted by mk3 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 7:41 AM
  • tuesday I believe

-- Posted by mk3 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 7:41 AM
  • Sarcasm!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 9:40 AM

Who cares if they guys on the team can play D, hit free throws, etc. as long as they are not missing classes.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 9:54 AM
  • I posted a few years ago when he was given the extension for finishing 500 in the conference that it was a mistake. You don't give a coach a raise and more years when he is having a hard time finishing at or above 500. Wish I had an answer for what they need to do to fix things but I don't. Being an alum I wish they would field a winning team very soon but don't see it happening anytime soon.

-- Posted by runner50 on Sat, Jan 31, 2015, at 8:35 PM
  • Where is Sonic The Hedgehog at to tell of us that we are wrong about Dickey???

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Sun, Feb 1, 2015, at 10:16 AM
  • Win or lose tonight Nutt will finish Under .500.. Nutt has to be gone next year. Took a back slide with a very talented team.

-- Posted by datruth on Sat, Feb 28, 2015, at 2:31 PM
  • A couple of weeks ago I declared a boycott of SEMO basketball until the Nutt era was over. I have a bad feeling I won't be going to the show me center next year. Don't think Alnut will fire both basketball coaches in the same year. And unfortunately I believe he will let the women's coach go before Nutt. Hopefull I'll be able to make a return to the SMC in 2016. Can't wait to watch Jacksonville St roll into the SMC and beat SEMO with our local guys. I'm actually hoping for it. That's how ready I am for a new leader of the program.

-- Posted by lseed on Sat, Feb 28, 2015, at 3:10 PM
  • The understandable frustrations of this year aside, there is still too much downside to buying out the remainder of Nutt's contract at this time. Given the stability and integrity he has undoubtedly helped bring up to now, there's a lot to lose if you rip the carpet out and most likely take another 3 years just to get the program back to where it is right now IF things go well with the next hire. These are really tricky waters to navigate especially with the already very low level D1 salary which will be even LESS likely to increase for the next coach IF there's indeed a buyout. It's just a bad business, fiscal and overall move for the program at this point even though they've seemingly taken a step back. It does seem that next year would be the make or break year, though.

-- Posted by Grussman on Sat, Feb 28, 2015, at 6:06 PM
  • Another season down!

-- Posted by datruth on Thu, Mar 5, 2015, at 2:31 PM
  • Maybe next season Nutt could set a goal to be at least 500 for the year, all though that's a pretty high goal for his teams to achieve!!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Mar 5, 2015, at 10:03 PM
  • Nutt is Gone

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Mon, Mar 23, 2015, at 4:00 PM
  • BEST NEWS ALL DAY!!!!

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Mon, Mar 23, 2015, at 4:15 PM
  • FINALLY!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Mar 23, 2015, at 6:02 PM
  • I hope Corey Tate can get the SEMO job. He has done a great job at MAC and deserves a chance at the D-1 level.

-- Posted by Greenville Bears Fan on Mon, Mar 23, 2015, at 7:03 PM
  • First mistake was going D1. Second mistake is still being a D1 school. I don't know what it takes financially and time-wise to go back to DII, but if you want to go back to the good-old-days go back to the good-old-days.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Mon, Mar 23, 2015, at 7:20 PM

Who are some of the "big names" available for a small conference D1 school? I wouldn't even know where to begin.. Any former players not named Nutt available to coach? Wish they had been able to land someone like Bidewell, McFerren or Paul Hale in their prime.. wonder how they would have turned out... ohh.. wishful thinking I suppose. I think this may be a good opportunity for a successful JC coach to step in.. JC coaches are generally geared towards at least looking at local talent (not at Woodland or Senath either) ... so there's a step in the right direction .

Just some thinking outloud going on.

-- Posted by secretagentman on Mon, Mar 23, 2015, at 7:48 PM

I POSTED THIS EARLIER:

I THINK ONE OF THESE GUYS WOULD BE A GREAT MOVE FOR SEMO!

I think SEMO should consider looking at both Anthony Beane(SIU) and/or Corey Gipson(Austin Peay)when they feel the move is neccesary. Both of these guys are local and have built a pretty solid resumes along the way as assistant coaches.

Personally, I think Beane would be the best fit as he is from rival SIU and could use his knowledge of area recruits for building his recruiting footprint to make SEMO a more complete team. I mean Memphis and Little Rock are not the only 2 area where basketball players come from... Beane has connections in Illinois cause of his past coaching with Illinois State, SLU and SIU. He also has a past with SEMO being a former assistant(1997-2000). He helped the Redhawks to back-to-back 20-win seasons, including a 24-9 mark and a trip to the NCAA Tournament in 1999. I just think with his ties to the area and past relationship with SEMO he would be a great fit.

Corey Gipson also has built a solid coaching profile in just a short time. He has earned a name for himself as a solid recruiter. Which to land kids at SEMO is needed. Gipson spent the previous two seasons as associate head coach at North Carolina Greensboro. He was named to the UNCG staff as an assistant coach on June 20, 2009 and in 2010 was elevated to associate head coach. A strong recruiter, Gipson earned his promotion to associate head coach mainly due to his exceptional recruiting skills. Along with being the program's top recruiter, Gipson worked with the frontcourt players in 2011-12. Last spring, Gipson left UNC Greensboro for Furman after a head-coaching change was made at the North Carolina school. However, when Austin Peay head coach Dave Loos beckoned, the idea of returning to his alma mater and closer to home was just too appealing. Before arriving at UNCG, he spent four seasons on the staff at Division II Virginia State University in Petersburg, Va. He coordinated the Trojans' recruiting efforts for head coach Tony Collins, APSU's longtime assistant coach who had recruited Gipson out of junior college.

Either one of these guys could be a good fit for Semo

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Mar 24, 2015, at 9:30 AM
  • McFerren expressed interest in the job before Edgar was hired but SEMO wasn't interested. They instead went with Edgar. Good call.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Mar 24, 2015, at 10:42 AM
  • TJ Cleveland

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Tue, Mar 24, 2015, at 12:37 PM
  • PatK-I find it funny that you say that those teams that Gipson and Beane worked at were "their" teams. Are you serious? haha Now that sounds like some nonsense to me.

Now I do agree with you that you hire who you think is the best person for the job, regardless of where they are from, but you're logic in judging Gipson and Beane is flawed. You can't compare them to Nutt. Nutt had experience as a head coach before he came to SEMO. Gipson and Beane do not.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Mar 24, 2015, at 1:56 PM
  • I personally think SEMO should try to get either coach Danny Farmer or coach Corey Frazier. I know it probably want happen, but it would be nice to see someone from the area that actually knows get the job. Plus both coaches are amazing at what the do! I know just knowing the area you will not win you basketball games, but there is a lot of talent down here that gets looked over just because most of the schools down here are small schools. Like I said tho, this is all just wishful thinking.

-- Posted by bluejaypride on Tue, Mar 24, 2015, at 10:54 PM
  • I personally think SEMO should try to get either coach Danny Farmer or coach Corey Frazier. I know it probably want happen, but it would be nice to see someone from the area that actually knows get the job. Plus both coaches are amazing at what the do! I know just knowing the area you will not win you basketball games, but there is a lot of talent down here that gets looked over just because most of the schools down here are small schools. Like I said tho, this is all just wishful thinking.

-- Posted by bluejaypride on Tue, Mar 24, 2015, at 10:55 PM
  • At this stage of his life and career, I doubt Coach Farmer would be interested in coaching at SEMO. On the other hand, Corey Frazier is an intriguing possibility. With his ties to both St. Louis and Southeast Missouri, he could a great recruiter. He has no experience that I know of at the college level, but he has been an outstanding coach at M-RH and his basketball knowledge, enthusiasm, and coaching pedigree from Lennies McFerren are unquestionable.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Mar 25, 2015, at 12:22 AM
  • How about Corey and Lamont together at Semo. I know one thing for sure that team would play some D.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Mar 25, 2015, at 7:53 AM

How about Will Durden? He spent time on the bench with Gene Bess... I'm not saying I endorse him 100% and SEMO should do this, but you know, just thinking outside the box. Corey Frazier is another name I didn't consider..

-- Posted by secretagentman on Wed, Mar 25, 2015, at 12:28 PM
  • Dean, I forgot about Coach Frazier's experience with AAU. That's another feather in his cap.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Mar 25, 2015, at 8:41 PM
  • PatK do you know how many GOOD assistants coach on bad teams. I think Alnutt will get the right guy for the job. Coach Nutt, came in when I was a student at SEMO, he got us out the dog house from a PR stand point, and he had the charisma to keep fans interested and hopeful. I do believe he could have signed a few local kids and been .500.

SEMO is a University, they can't go out and get a local coach without college experience. Often I see post about how SEMO can become better, it can't be the top of the OVC signing every player who's considered go from the area. It's not the 13th,14th, 15th, and 16th grade its a University.

-- Posted by coachporterjp3 on Thu, Mar 26, 2015, at 9:45 AM
  • Names I think should be considered:

Dominic Okon. Dominic Okon is in his eighth season as Director of Men's Basketball Operations at Wichita State.Before that he was at Three Rivers. Okon helped the Raiders to an impressive 197-62 record over eight seasons, while aiding Three Rivers in claiming two regional titles and a trip the national tournament.

Anthony Hall, he played at SEMO he's the head coach at Fontboone. He was on the 86 SEMO team finished as the NCAA Div. II runner-up. Fontboone finished 13-14 this season, they where 9-16 the year before he took over.

Anthony Bean and Corey Gipson their names were both already mentioned.

-- Posted by coachporterjp3 on Thu, Mar 26, 2015, at 9:45 AM

Tim Fuller has Nutt's replacement would be a no brainer. Then add Kim English as one of his assistants.

-- Posted by MatthewCox10 on Fri, Mar 27, 2015, at 12:06 AM
  • How about University of Southern Indiana's head coach Rodney Watson? After spending 21 years at SIU as an assistant he has spent the last six years at the helm of one of the most successful D-II programs in the NCAA. He is 139-38 (.785%) including 79-29 (.731%) in the Great Lakes Valley Conference. During shis six years, USI has five NCAA D-II Midwest Regionals Appearances and has won two GLVC Tournament Championships.

While at SIU, the Salukis won 11 Missouri Valley Conference championships and qualified for nine NCAA Tournaments and six NITs. SIU also compiled a 430-237 record, a .645 winnings percentage, and two Sweet 16 Appearances.

The man knows the area and he knows how to recruit local talent. He has ties to the region (born in Paris, Ill.) and has the coaching bloodlines in Kansas State head coach Bruce Weber and Purdue head coach Matt Painter.

He actually applied for the head coaching job at SEMO back when Edgar got it...SMH. Didn't even get a phone call.

Why settle for a D-I assistant with no head coaching experience for a losing program (i.e. Anthony Beane) when you can get a head coach at a lower level school (a lower level school that would beat SIU and SEMO)? Mind you he also has assistant coaching experience at the D-I level at teh same school with much more success than Beane.

I know he would be interested and he's not a used car salesman like Nutt was. He's a Midwest guy and would be a perfect fit for Cape Girardeau.

Thoughts?

-- Posted by BenAffleck on Sat, Apr 4, 2015, at 2:55 AM
  • no

-- Posted by RiceHarper on Sat, Apr 4, 2015, at 8:18 AM
  • Those are great credentials for a school like SEMO. They won't hire a coach with better credentials.

-- Posted by whitey11 on Sat, Apr 4, 2015, at 8:55 PM
  • If they can agree on money Isaac Chew will be new coach.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Sat, Apr 4, 2015, at 11:21 PM
  • Waston could be the guy or Ray if Chew doesn't accept.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Sat, Apr 4, 2015, at 11:41 PM
  • Jon Harris, who was just hired to coach basketball at SIU-Edwardsville signed a 4 year contract worth 180 grand a year. How much will Semo pay for the right guy?

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Apr 7, 2015, at 10:34 AM

If Chew is the guy, either Alnutt found a secret money tree or Chew is willing to take a significant reduction in salary to become a head coach.

"Last week the Hokies unveiled Williams' team of three assistant coaches and five support staff, and in response to an open-records request, the school provided the salaries for assistants Isaac Chew ($260,000), Steve Roccaforte ($185,200) and Jamie McNeilly ($125,000)."

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-babcock-hoops-salaries-p... [July 15, 2014]

-- Posted by whistleone on Tue, Apr 7, 2015, at 10:42 AM

New coach being announced at 5:30 tonight according to Rachel

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 13, 2015, at 12:53 PM

Jeff Goodman reporting that the final three are Dwayne Stephens of Mich St., Rick Ray formerly of Mississippi St., and Issac Chew of Va Tech.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 13, 2015, at 1:57 PM

How long until you all have a 'Fire Coach Ray' forum?

-- Posted by FeedThemHogs on Mon, Apr 13, 2015, at 8:28 PM
  • Ray will have 2-3 years just like Nutt did before the "Fire Him" forums start appearing.

You liked Coach Nutt FeedThemHogs?

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Thu, Apr 16, 2015, at 12:15 PM
  • I started this post in his 2nd or 3rd...hi just saw through his bull that he was giving the fans

-- Posted by datruth on Fri, May 15, 2015, at 11:36 PM
  • An 0-8 start. Wow. Things are really improving for Semo men's basketball. What's the over and under before the honeymoon is over for Ray??

-- Posted by Slim shady on Wed, Dec 9, 2015, at 6:34 AM
  • Wow is right! Last night the zone defense was too soft. The weave offense looked "mechanical" with no natural flow. You have to wonder if the coach is matching the players to the offense and defense or if he just wants it to be his choice. Players from last year look out of their element and we know they can do much better on both ends of the court. Let's hope the team catches on soon or wins will be few.

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Wed, Dec 9, 2015, at 6:55 AM

SEMO will be lucky to win 3 games this year. Rebuild time, coaching change; it all comes with it. Give it a chance. A turn around won't happen this year or next and its something people just have to accept.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Dec 9, 2015, at 12:42 PM
  • What should the timetable be??

3 years?? 5??

The current results aren't going to fill a refurbished arena.

-- Posted by Slim shady on Wed, Dec 9, 2015, at 1:57 PM
  • Minimum 4 years that gives him plenty of time to get his guys he wants in there and be able to see if he can develop them or not.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Dec 9, 2015, at 2:19 PM
  • Could Coach K turn this program around?

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Wed, Dec 9, 2015, at 7:36 PM
  • Yes

-- Posted by Kdub102002 on Thu, Dec 10, 2015, at 7:55 AM
  • You can't reverse the trend of a downtrodden program without raising the level of recruiting.

You can't coach at a Division 1 school that plays at the level that SEMO plays at and expect that(rise in level of recruiting) to happen in 1 or 2 years.

I agree with BIGELW(wow) in that you must give him a minimum of 4 years. There is no way you can evaluate his ability to coach, develop, and recruit in less time than that.

He recruited some good talent to Mississippi State. I believe that once he gets some size in here to go with the guards, they will be much better.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Dec 10, 2015, at 10:09 AM

I am going to give him 2 years and he is gone. This is my prediction, especially after 5 guys have either left or been dismissed.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sat, Dec 12, 2015, at 2:03 PM
  • Careful what you ask for.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Sat, Dec 12, 2015, at 3:44 PM
  • Exactly! I had this same thought today... He's looking pretty good right now.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Dec 12, 2015, at 6:53 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: