Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Who is ready for some Hoops?

Posted by Real Sports Analyst on Sat, Sep 14, 2013, at 11:27 PM:

I am looking forward to seeing some great basketball this season. Any thoughts on some of the smaller schools in the SEMO area that should have a decent season!

Replies (44)

• I can't wait till bball starts up! Some small schools that could be good: as always SCC (however they will continue to decline year by year) Risco has another good year in them and will compete with clarkton for tri county conference, Bernie will be good as always and along with Hayti should be tough in bootheel conf, East Prairie has a chance to really make some noise along with Chaffee in the Scott Miss conference. But..only time will tell.

-- Posted by basketball365 on Sun, Sep 15, 2013, at 1:02 PM
  • I'm ALWAYS ready for some hoops! I have a hunch that Sikeston will be a handful again. I know, I know....they aren't a "small school"....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Sep 15, 2013, at 1:04 PM
  • Yeah I heard EP returns all of their players from their roster last season. I also believe Clarkton could have a good season as well.

-- Posted by Real Sports Analyst on Sun, Sep 15, 2013, at 3:06 PM
  • Not ready.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sun, Sep 15, 2013, at 3:19 PM
  • no

-- Posted by hb1025 on Sun, Sep 15, 2013, at 6:43 PM
  • Bernie will be real tough as long as they stay healthy

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Sep 16, 2013, at 12:11 PM
  • Rocket, don't count Kennett out of the contest. Mitchell has grown and improved TREMENDOUSLY.

-- Posted by JH4 on Mon, Sep 16, 2013, at 5:43 PM
  • JH4...I'm not counting out ANYBODY. Just made a comment that Sikeston is going to be good.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Sep 17, 2013, at 7:52 AM

It would be nice if Charleston could win at least ONE game this year? We never win anything in basketball?! *smile*

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Sep 18, 2013, at 5:23 PM
  • Yeah I think they have a chance to win maybe 1 game lol

-- Posted by Real Sports Analyst on Wed, Sep 18, 2013, at 9:01 PM
  • Man the SEMO Conference tournament is gonna be interesting this year! I believe any of the 8 teams in it this year could win the whole thing. I know it would take some upsets but there is a lot of talent in SEMO this year.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Wed, Sep 18, 2013, at 9:26 PM

I hope the championship game of the semo conf tourney is as good as last year.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Wed, Sep 18, 2013, at 9:32 PM

I think that it is hella' cool when we have teams from multiple classes representing in Columbia during the state championships!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Sep 19, 2013, at 1:27 PM
  • SCC 16 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS and still continue to decline year by year..WOW! WHEN WILL IT STOP?

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Thu, Sep 19, 2013, at 5:53 PM
  • Yaeger, though Bernie is returning their core and like 8 seniors, with Baker gone I'm taking South Pem in that district. Should be fun.

-- Posted by Shank on Fri, Sep 20, 2013, at 7:22 AM
  • Shank I could be wrong but you will be surprised Baker was our go to guy but we have some real good juniors this year I really believe thst bernie will be the team to beat in class 2 especially if they stay healthy

-- Posted by yaeger on Fri, Sep 20, 2013, at 8:54 AM
  • Did south pem lose anyone? Senath will be a team to keep an eye on too

-- Posted by yaeger on Fri, Sep 20, 2013, at 8:56 AM
  • S Pem lost 2 starters one being their high scorer I believe.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Sep 20, 2013, at 9:11 AM
  • I watched Senath play East Prairie in the summer and Ep won by 22, but Senath has some solid players could be a decent season for them guys!

-- Posted by Real Sports Analyst on Fri, Sep 20, 2013, at 12:10 PM
  • South Pem lost the Harris kid, their leading scorer from last year, but they have some good kids coming back. That district should be fun again. Hayti is going to be interesting....lots of size on front line, just wonder about their backcourt. Bernie the favorite though I would think. Holcomb will take some steps back and Senath is going to be better for sure. They have a nice Soph class. Portageville will be down I think, have AV Banks back but didn't think their JV was very good last year. Bootheel Conf should be good as well. C'ville will have Monroe back and that makes them the favorite IMO.

-- Posted by bball79 on Fri, Sep 20, 2013, at 4:11 PM
  • South Pem lost Harris, who avg around 15 ppg and lost Gilmore, point guard. They're junior class is their strength (JV won the BHC tourney against Senath with Autry and Moore playing down.) they also have Logan Carter, tough down low, and one of the best shooters in the area in Trammel....all that being said, Bernie is still the champs, and until someone can knock them off the pedestal, it's tough to argue they're not the favorite. However, I'm still gonna take South Pem over Bernie/Hayti in the finals, very close game though.

-- Posted by Shank on Sun, Sep 22, 2013, at 8:33 AM
  • Oran will be awful..

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Tue, Sep 24, 2013, at 12:34 AM
  • Oran awful is that a joke I knoe they lost some players but awful

-- Posted by yaeger on Tue, Sep 24, 2013, at 7:43 AM
  • Oran being awful is a false comment they will have another good year Seth Ressel is back and they have other guys who can really shoot it and they get down and guard really well Oran will be just fine this year!!

-- Posted by Real Sports Analyst on Thu, Oct 3, 2013, at 10:55 PM
  • Not sure exactly how successful Oran will be this year but I'm positive they will be underrated by the great fans south of hwy.60

-- Posted by playdeep on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:28 AM

GO BLUE JAYS! 63834!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:34 AM
  • SCC BRAVETTES!

-- Posted by basketballgirl on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 1:09 PM
  • Thanks for playing yaeger, welcome back. I honestly don't see Oran losing over 5 games this year.

Time will tell playdeep but I know for a fact Oran and Chaffee both will be in the same contention as any other class 2 team in the area. Even Bernie, South Pem, Hayti, and Portageville believe it or not.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Oct 7, 2013, at 4:13 PM
  • Unc I knew that had to a joke

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Oct 7, 2013, at 6:38 PM
  • Oran and Chaffee can definitely play with Bernie and South Pem and quite honestly, I'd say they are better than a Portageville. Hayti will go 6-2 6-3 and 6-6 but their guard play is unproven. However, you can't leave out Senath.

Serious question for Uncle Charlie. How many players of significance will Oran bring back this year? Bernie, South Pemiscot, Hayti and Senath bring back a ton. Senath has 2 pretty good guards and two 6-6 kids.

You have to throw Advance into the mix up north as well.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Oct 7, 2013, at 7:30 PM
  • Oran brings back 3 starters and Cash Kenney will be the big guy down low so they will be just fine! Also I think Portageville will have a down year they do have a talented guard in A.V. Banks but after that I am not sure, Holcomb will have a down year, I think Risco will not be as good also.

-- Posted by Real Sports Analyst on Mon, Oct 7, 2013, at 10:12 PM
  • Oran returns 3 starters and their 6th man from last year's team. Kinney (6'4) will be in the post. A lot of Oran's success will depend on how well he defends and rebounds.

This year's seniors were sophomores on Oran's undefeated JV team from the 2011-2012 season and that was with Ressel starting every game on varsity.

I see another successful season for the Eagles. Oran & Bernie will be fun to watch at the Show Me Center, can't wait.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Oct 7, 2013, at 10:22 PM
  • Advance lost 4 starters from last year's team but still return their best player in Below. I can very well see them being in contention by the end of the season if they can establish a post game, losing Barr hurts bad.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Oct 7, 2013, at 10:26 PM
  • Bernie will have up to 11 players that will hit the floor this year and all of them are good bball players. Strong point IMO will be defense. This should be the best defensive team Bernie has had in awhile... Should also see better rebounding, Plenty of shooters, should be a good season. these teams will all be good this year.

in no order

Oran

Bernie

S Pem

Thayer

Senath

Hayti

Chaffee

Puxico

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 4:22 PM
  • Oran has plenty coming back then. Puxico is another team that could make some noise. I think the big theme this year in class 2 is "parity". As I see it, all of these teams are capable of beating one another on any given night. Will make for some exciting play.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 7:42 PM
  • I'll be doing a top 10 small school's list weekly, starting after the first of the year again if anyone is curious.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 9:35 PM
  • Thanks I really look forward to getting back into the gym and watching some basketball.

-- Posted by Real Sports Analyst on Wed, Oct 9, 2013, at 8:43 PM
  • Too early!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Oct 9, 2013, at 10:30 PM
  • Thanks UC i Really enjoyed the conversations last year!!!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Oct 10, 2013, at 9:02 AM
  • The start of practice is now less than 3 weeks away with some Jamborees not far behind that it looks like. I'm ready!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Tue, Oct 15, 2013, at 6:11 PM
  • How will Scott County be this year I know they got talent, but are they final 4 material?

-- Posted by Real Sports Analyst on Tue, Oct 15, 2013, at 8:23 PM
  • @Dream Big I honestly think the Scott county braves will be a top five team this season they bring back there leading scorer an freak of an athlete the Larenzo Banks kid an also Jeffery porter with those two together an on the same page anything is possible for the Braves..

-- Posted by DR.BBALL on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 9:59 AM
  • What about Gideon? Will they be good this year?.

-- Posted by Young&Tough on Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 9:09 AM
  • Juco Jamboree at Jackson High School tomorrow starting at 10am. Get an early fix of basketball. The season is right around the corner!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Fri, Oct 25, 2013, at 6:24 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: