Semoball

Other College Sports Discussion: Sports reporting

Posted by 66Indian on Mon, Jan 23, 2023, at 6:37 AM:

Since a paper is only published 3 times per week, I fully expected news would be reported ONLINE promptly. SEMO had two basketball games Saturday afternoon. There was nothing reported on Sunday and now on Monday. What’s the use of continuing a subscription? Your local news reporting is horrendous and local sports is even WORSE.

Replies (21)

• A box score is available online of all semo games….that’s all you need as it shows what really happened in a game.

-- Posted by indian73 on Mon, Jan 23, 2023, at 11:18 AM
  • Can someone please tell me who is responsible for submitting game recaps and/or covering local teams both home and away games? It’s very apparent which teams continue to get a lot of coverage and which teams have little to no write-ups about their games. There are some very talented players and teams that deserve coverage also.

-- Posted by AlwaysAnIndian on Tue, Jan 24, 2023, at 2:33 PM
  • Sry that posted to the wrong forum.

-- Posted by AlwaysAnIndian on Tue, Jan 24, 2023, at 2:39 PM

I’ll answer your question anyway.

Anybody with a camera and an email address can submit a photo of the scorebook to this website & they will write a short Article and post it.

I’ve been doing it for years & although I don’t keep tally, they’ve always published it by my recollection.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Tue, Jan 24, 2023, at 6:59 PM
  • Feel free to assist us. All of us sports editors/writers/photographers could use the public's help on this. We can only do so much by ourselves as some of us our covering a lot of schools all by ourself. Help is always appreciated.

Mike Boyd Jr. -- Ste. Genevieve Herald

-- Posted by Michael Boyd Jr. on Fri, Jan 27, 2023, at 10:09 AM
  • I don't think you're really hearing the issue...if all we need is a box score, then post box scores for all schools and be done with it.

Some schools, we all know who they are, have write ups with every publication....not just write ups, but paragraph upon paragraph of endless bits of information. Perhaps whoever is spending so much time writing these articles, could make them shorter and use some of their time to write about other schools who deserve to be recognized.

-- Posted by Bballfan1 on Fri, Jan 27, 2023, at 2:34 PM
  • With all the things my writers and I have to do every day, why am I wasting my time putting up box scores when all the relevant data is in my story?

-- Posted by tcapobianco on Fri, Jan 27, 2023, at 3:41 PM
  • Tcapobianco....every school doesn't get a story written for them...and some get volumes.

-- Posted by Bballfan1 on Fri, Jan 27, 2023, at 3:51 PM

I’m not sure which teams you think get unnecessary volumes written, but it’s more then just covering a team. If you’re referring to teams like Jackson, Cape, Sikeston, ND, Charleston, Dexter, Kennett, Bluff, NMCC, or Delta…(I’m speaking just on basketball here) then you should understand those are either the locations of the papers who cover them, the teams with the largest subscriber bases, or teams that win year after year.

Why does any of this matter? Well, it’s really simple… these are the teams a larger part of the people who pay for annual subscriptions or will purchase papers.

If any of these teams are playing each other, the story will get more hits, sell more papers, etc.

These are the decisions the SEMOball reporters have to make every week. As we all know, girls games are usually Monday & Fhursdy, and boys games Tuesday & Friday. The wonderful folks who cover these games can only choose to be in one place each night, so if Delta is playing ND, and Meadow Heights is playing Oran, the choice is clear.

Now, I’ll put this back out there. If you’re at the Meadow Heights & Oran game and want it in the paper, just ask the scorekeeper after the game if you can take a photo of the book. Be sure you get a good photo of each team’s state (landscape preferably). Go to SEMOball.com and fill out the form on this page. Be sure you upload the pictures of the book and they will do their best to do write up based on what the book tells them.

I’ve been doing this for years. It works.

Link: https://www.semoball.com/forms/submittedstory

“ Tcapobianco....every school doesn't get a story written for them...and some get volumes.

— Posted by mbeth1”

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Tue, Jan 31, 2023, at 10:54 AM
  • I understand that it is impossible to be at every game. In years past, however, there were stories about every game even if a reporter was not at that game. Maybe coaches called in scores to a phone number and a reporter wrote a story. The point is that almost every team had a story about them. Now we have scenarios like Cape Central playing Chicago Simeon and not one word written about the game. SEMO played a game last week and again not one word about the game. But we did get to read about all the coaches and sports at Portageville. Just doesn’t seem to add up. Newspaper subscription is not cheap and many of us feel rather cheated. Hope this moves the needle in the right direction.

-- Posted by Good old days on Fri, Feb 3, 2023, at 7:03 AM

Cape Central & Pville are covered my 2 different newspapers, so that has nothing to do with Cape’s game against Simeon not being covered.

I don’t know what to tell you all, my team’s games don’t always get covered either, but they get enough.

It comes down to not being able to please everyone I guess.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Fri, Feb 3, 2023, at 6:33 PM
  • For the second consecutive week SEMO has had a Saturday game that has NO story written about it. What is the deal?I had to go to SEMO’s website just to find out if they won or lost. Surely we can do better than this.

-- Posted by Good old days on Sun, Feb 5, 2023, at 6:55 AM
  • This shouldn't surprise anyone with as many people that have come and gone out of Semoball. A lot of people didn't like Tom Davis but he wrote great articles when he was inspired. J.C. Reeves was a great journalist that they drove in the ground and finally guess had enough. It's tough to find anyone that wants to write about the small schools that Reeves tended to write more about. I also remember when they included box scores in every roundup back just a couple seasons back. Guess that ended when Reeves and Michael Jeeter (spelling) left.

-- Posted by executetheorange on Mon, Feb 6, 2023, at 4:03 PM
  • I have a suggestion, look at Derek James coverage of Sikeston. Plenty of stats and box score to boot.

-- Posted by SHS1959 on Mon, Feb 6, 2023, at 5:11 PM
  • I know scores were sent in over the weekend and there aren’t any write ups about the games.

-- Posted by Michael Corleone on Mon, Feb 6, 2023, at 6:17 PM
  • The Missourian is actively working with two reporters and two clerks. While the reporters work full-time and do in-person coverage, the clerks simply work part-time and do most of their work remotely.

I work as a clerk currently, and my job is to create nightly roundups and schedule social media posts. Whenever someone submits a scorebook picture or a list of scorers to preps@semoball.com, my job is to write a few small paragraphs summarizing the games, scoring, records and future matchups for both teams. I invite all coaches, athletic directors and even parents if need be to send their box scores to that mailing list.

As for the reporting side of things, it's complicated how reporting is distributed. There are a handful of active sports right now. There are 16 schools assigned to the Southeast Missourian, with a few more schools that we occasionally cover as they fall in a kind of "dead zone" between Daily American Republic and Sikeston Standard Democrat Coverage.

With two people doing in-person coverage, it's not so simple to be everywhere at once. While it's easy to say that someone should have gone to St. Louis to cover a big basketball game, someone would argue that a local wrestling tournament is just as important. Our goal is to put as many local teams in the paper as possible, and while Central's matchup against a Chicagoan powerhouse, for example, is very important, we cannot be everywhere at once.

Email your box scores to preps@semoball.com to see the games that aren't being covered in person. We've been working diligently to be out in the field every night, trying to cover all of the bases.

-- Posted by Cole Lee on Tue, Feb 7, 2023, at 2:14 PM

Would have loved to see a story about the Jackson vs Charleston game played Monday night at Jackson...Charleston won by 20+.

-- Posted by full house mom on Tue, Feb 7, 2023, at 6:19 PM
  • Hey Semoball-semissourian, does Chaffee still have a football team?

-- Posted by rainex on Tue, Sep 19, 2023, at 9:58 PM
  • Has Chaffee ever had a football team? 😂

-- Posted by Nighthawk_08 on Wed, Sep 20, 2023, at 4:29 PM
  • Has Chaffee ever had a football team? 😂

-- Posted by Nighthawk_08 on Wed, Sep 20, 2023, at 4:29 PM

Yes, class 1 state champions in 1983! One of only three true Southeast Missouri teams to claim a state championship in football. Hayti and Jackson being the others. If you want to extend northward a bit, we have the Valle dynasty(15 state titles). St. Vincent and Perryville high also winning one each! Also nighthawk we have 3 state high school baseball championships and 2 third place state championship baseball trophies in our cases, whatcha got?

-- Posted by Outfield on Thu, Sep 21, 2023, at 8:54 AM
  • Bring back the box scores for each game in all area High School sports. Back in the day Marty Mishow would post these and it was great.

-- Posted by moverandshaker on Sat, Sep 23, 2023, at 11:45 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: