Semoball

High School Football Forum: Football

Posted by FootballFan12 on Mon, Sep 3, 2012, at 10:36 PM:

Whats everyone think about Jackson so far?

Replies (38)

• I think Jackson hired a legendary coach based on what I read six months ago.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Sep 3, 2012, at 10:40 PM
  • that they have nice jerseys.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Tue, Sep 4, 2012, at 6:24 PM
  • I don't know if Eckley is in the "legendary" status just yet but his system is translating much better than I anticipated at this point. Player buy-in has to be a part of it. From what I can tell the skill players are pretty much the same ones from last year but they're all more effective than they were before. You'll be hard pressed to find a Jackson QB that's ever had back to back 300+ and 200+ yard passing games. I think Eckley is finding ways to play to strengths. If I recall these kids were on some very successful junior high teams. That said, North County doesn't appear to be very strong and Vianney could go either way the rest of the year BUT 2-0 is very encouraging...both road wins!

-- Posted by Grussman on Tue, Sep 4, 2012, at 8:20 PM
  • Wow that's pretty impressive numbers put up by the QB. Do you know who this kid is? Do you think he has potential?

-- Posted by FootballFan12 on Wed, Sep 5, 2012, at 6:54 AM
  • FootballFan12... Anyone has potential as long as you put in the work. The quarterback has a lot of potential because of his work ethic. It seems to me that he knows the game very well and hopefully he can keep Jackson playing good. It's nice to see another area team do good.

-- Posted by Gary Pinkel on Wed, Sep 5, 2012, at 7:31 AM
  • He is a sophomore. He had two TD passes last week for 79 and 80 yards. This offence scores quick and often. I was at last weeks game. Vianney defense was strong earlier but Jackson wore them down. Halfway through 2nd quarter they looked tired. Vianney looked like they couldn't handle the no huddle offence Jackson runs. They used up there time outs earlier just to try and regroup. Vianney wanted to run the ball. They have that kid that mizzou has supposed to have signed. But Jackson offence took them out of any kind of running game. Plus the defense was very tuff. They kept that kid in check all night. Except for one kick off return early for a 95 yard TD.

-- Posted by oldschoolbballer on Wed, Sep 5, 2012, at 7:47 AM
  • The QB Selsor is a Junior and the reserve is a Sophmore. Both good work ethic and good athletes. Being in shape has helped this team tremendously! Trusting their coaches and the system, has taken the same kids basically from the past couple of years and has let them believe in themselves. Hopefully they will continue this type of play and continue to win! But either way they are a much improved team and one to watchout for.

-- Posted by localfan on Wed, Sep 5, 2012, at 8:33 AM
  • Cant wait till jackson vs hickman!!! The kewps r very good this yr

-- Posted by cvilletger on Wed, Sep 5, 2012, at 9:00 AM
  • You also have to remember that all the returning kids who got a lot of playing time last year are now a year older which is huge in high school as far as their mentality and strength.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Wed, Sep 5, 2012, at 9:12 AM
  • I'm pretty sure the starting QB isn't a sophomore. I believe he started most of last season's last several games. I think he's a junior...which might be a really good sign as this new offensive scheme continues to develop. I admit I was concerned that Jackson didn't have the athletes for this type of offense and that traditional, smash mouth football was the only option. Problem is, they weren't having success with just the smash mouth approach any longer. Defensively, having to learn to defend a high octane offense day in, day out in practice bodes well, too, so I would think there should be less blowouts at the hands of other spread offenses now.

-- Posted by Grussman on Wed, Sep 5, 2012, at 10:22 AM
  • His name is Ty Selsor and he is a junior. My bad Grussman.

-- Posted by oldschoolbballer on Wed, Sep 5, 2012, at 12:27 PM

Legendary? Wow.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 7:51 AM
  • Jackson seems to be past the days when folks were fighting in the stands....and paying attention to whats on the field. Jackson has plenty of athletes, good fundamental football strengths.

And a Coach that was successful at Union.

I would not doubt seeing them win 8 games this yr.

Hickman has beaten Lee's Summit and Holt, and has made a good start. May be a tuff opponent for Jackson late . Central with the "cross town" rivalry may be a classic, as Cape and Jackson seem to both be stronger on both sides of the ball this season .

-- Posted by Headhunt on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 9:25 AM
  • Jackson has been a pleasant surprise to many of us in semo this season so far. I too would not be surprised to see them win 7-8 games this year. They definitely seem to have the right coach at the helm. I think they'll be a serious contender in their distict this year. Welcome back Indians!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 9:51 AM

Jackson has gotten much better this year. And they should with all the young players they played last year. They should be able to hold their own and get to the district championship but Summit is by far the best team in that district. Jackson will have to be on fire and hope Summit gets beat up a little in the Suburban South to have a chance to win that one.

-- Posted by NewTigerFan on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 12:17 PM
  • Cape and Sikeston will still beat Jackson this year...the indians cant handle their lightning speed....

-- Posted by RedShirt on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 1:36 PM
  • So far Sikeston hasn't shown alot of lightning speed on offense. Speed hasn't exactly been Cape's forte' either, so I think the jury is still out on who will win those games.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 1:52 PM

You would have to think with how this season has played out so far, Sikeston wouldn't beat Jackson. Sikeston can get better don't get me wrong, but if they were to play tomorrow, I would have to give the edge to Jackson.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 1:54 PM
  • Sikeston will have to score more then they have in there first two games. Because less then two TD'!s a game wont get them a win against Jacksons new offence. Cape and Jackson is always a big game. Hard to beat a rival school on there field. Should be a good game.

-- Posted by oldschoolbballer on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 3:19 PM
  • Can someone tell me which radio station carries the Jackson football games?

-- Posted by lastride67 on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 3:27 PM
  • I am not doubting Jackson has gotten better. However, the dawgs have been without the two main running backs for the last 6 quarters. Thats an awful lot on the qbs plate and a freshman's shoulders.

with that being said, has anyone forgotten that Sikeston has only given up I believe a total of 150 yrds this season. That is without one of their stud defenders who is out hurt.

I am not making any excuses for the dawgs by any means, but if they played tomorrow Sikeston would beat Jackson on defense alone. Sikeston will put up the points in the next few weeks. thats just my opinion.

-- Posted by dog2167 on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 4:24 PM
  • Bad News for Dexter. Key starter out for the year.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 4:39 PM
  • Well dog2167 there offence put up over 600 yrds in the first week and over 400 last week. Sikeston's defence will be put through the test. Plus Jackson's defense shut down a strong running back last week. I just don't think you can rely on a running game alone against them.

-- Posted by oldschoolbballer on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 6:17 PM

Who is out for the year for Dexter?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 7:29 PM
  • please tell me. i wanna know too!

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 8:50 PM
  • I think all of this talk may be premature. We have three starters out for Friday's game: TE/LB Johnathan Page, WR/CB Cody Neldon, and OL Dylan Aaron. Neither of my sons on the football team said anything today about any of these boys being out for the season. Now that doesn't mean it isn't true, but I would think the coaches would tell the team.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 9:24 PM
  • Just saw the new there is a chance of severe storms friday eve. and night. So it looks like there might be some delayed games again just like last weekend

-- Posted by country man on Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 10:41 PM
  • Football refers to a number of sports that involve, to varying degrees, kicking a ball with the foot to score a goal. The most popular of these sports worldwide is association football, more commonly known as just "football" or "soccer". Game played between two team. Every team has 11 player. Football builds up strength and endurance in every part of your body. It increases your cardiovascular muscles and decreases your resting heart rate. You also become more balanced by learning different technicians and increases the dexterity in your big stinky feet.

-- Posted by bmxgear on Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 2:18 AM
  • bmxgear,

That's got to be about the strangest post to a discussion about High School American Rules Football in S.E. Missouri. While technically correct, I don't think it furthers the topic being discussed here....

-- Posted by mojo3 on Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 7:44 AM
  • Preacher Man, it's not premature. I have first hand knowledge that this kid is done for Football and Basketball season.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 8:07 AM
  • Well.....backs hurt can slow down an offense, I agree. But they have to have a place to go, a hole to run through. That's what has been a little behind for the Dogs this young season. It's time for a little soul searching......the kind that you only get when you are in a 3 point stance....and you look at the guy across the line , and you decide...you gonna be the windshield....or the bug.

-- Posted by Headhunt on Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 10:10 AM
  • I think it'll be an interesting test to see how Jackson's players that play both ways will fare tonight against Farmington given both offenses are more spread oriented. Could fatigue be an issue as the game wears on and how will they respond? Of course it'll also depend on how many Farmington players play both ways as well...

-- Posted by Grussman on Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 10:34 AM
  • Reddirt Dog is right. Dexter's senior OL Dylan Aaron is out for the season with a torn ACL he injured in practice this week. A young OL just got younger as DA was our sole returning starter. Our prayers go out to him and his family for a speedy recovery. He's a good kid and it's really a shame for his football career to end like that.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 12:22 PM
  • Cody Neldon tore his ACL, slightly tore his meniscus, and sprained his MCL. First hand knowledge that he will not be participating in Football or Basketball this year.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 12:27 PM
  • Yikes! Knew Neldon was injured but didn't know it was that bad. Our prayers go out to him and his family too for a speedy recovery. Some young Dexter players are just going to have to step up!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 12:39 PM

Feel bad for the two kids for Dexter! Dexter can't catch a break this year it seems.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 12:58 PM
  • I was talking about Cody Neldon. He is out 6 months!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 1:40 PM
  • i think bmxgear might be a little out there...

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Sat, Sep 8, 2012, at 1:14 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: