Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Class 4 District 1

Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 10:02 AM:

Sikeston comes in with the 1 seed at 24-1. Cape is the 2 seed having given Sikeston their only loss on the year. ND has the 3 seed. I don't see anyone outside of these three winning. Of course....I like Sikeston's chances. Who do you have and why?

Replies (146)

• Although ND shot like 3% from 3, Dexter did just beat ND. Their only problem is they have to play Sikeston in the semi's. I feel like Sikeston will have it's hands full for a little bit with Dexter, until talent shines through and Sikeston Pulls away.

Also, I feel like Kennett will beat ND. ND outplayed Kennett last time in the first half, but Kennett shut them down the second half. Also, not to mention this could be Coach V's last game so I am sure those boys will be ready to play.

I believe it will be a match up between Sikeston and Central at the end. What worries me for Central is what Al Young said after the game. He said something along the lines as if this was the best game they ever played. That game will have to be repeated times 10, and I am not sure if the Tigers can do that in Sikeston. Should be fun though!!

-- Posted by Radar99 on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 10:28 AM

Perryville beat Dexter this year if i'm not mistaken Dexter may not get past them. I'd say Sikeston for sure in the championship no doubt but as for the rest, it could be Kennett, ND or Cape. Leaning more towards Cape/ND than I am Kennett.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 10:38 AM
  • I have to go with Sikeston because theyre at home. If it was at Cape I might give Cape a slight edge, but its not so Sikeston wins.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 11:50 AM
  • The Orange Wall gives Cape an automatic 10pts. Thusly we really didnt lose to Cape. We really should be 24-0-1. The Fieldhouse walls are white so Capes gonna hafta figgr out how to come up with those extra 10pts.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 11:54 AM
  • Cker I had actually deleted my comments about Perryville, because I felt my post was too long! When I deleted it I said to myself, "bet cker has something to say about it!" Haha

Yes, Perryville did beat them and can beat them again. I think Dexter is playing better right now and have played a tougher schedule. Also, coming off a Christmas tournament win high is always tough to play the next game when there isn't anyone in the stands. Not trying to take anything away from the Pirates, I could very well see them winning again.

Since we are on the topic does anyone know why Perryville dropped Sikeston, and ND, a couple years ago? I would figure a coach would want to play everyone in their district.

-- Posted by Radar99 on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 12:06 PM
  • Walt Jr you're pretty funny saying dexter will give Sikeston trouble, dexter won't get out of the 1st round lol

-- Posted by yaeger on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 12:53 PM

This will come down to a Sikeston vs Cape rematch. I think Cape winning the first game maybe the biggest blessing in disguise for this year's Sikeston team. I think Sikeston will be motivated to avenge the loss and Cape does have to play at Field House which will surely play a factor in the game. Also I think it helps that Sikeston knows how Cape is gonna approach them defensively the second time around and Hollifield may a few tricks of his own to get the pace hastened.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 2:42 PM
  • Bunk, I tend to agree with you. While I didn't care for the loss to Cape earlier this month, I think it will give the Dogs a chip on their shoulder.

But, don't count out ND. They beat Cape earlier this year.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 4:29 PM

It's Sikeston's to lose. That simple.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 4:48 PM
  • Don't count anybody out.. Guys I hope it's a running joke about the orange walls. The walls did make Sikeston lose. I know this hard for some to fathom but Sikeston didn't lose the game cape win it. How bout giving them credit for that. I don't think it was a miracle, I think cape had their number. Adjustments will be made on both sides, cape won't do the exact same things they did earlier this month as Sikeston won't either! Game if adjustment s. Newll ball handling was the difference, nobody thought we would be the catalyst like he was thst night! He only scored 6pts but he pushed that ball all night! One thing Sikeston can count on is they plays hard! I'll be there that's for sure!

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 4:48 PM
  • Don't count anybody out.. Guys I hope it's a running joke about the orange walls. The walls didnt make Sikeston lose. I know this hard for some to fathom but Sikeston didn't lose the game cape won it. How bout giving them credit for that. I don't think it was a miracle, I think cape had their number. Adjustments will be made on both sides, cape won't do the exact same things they did earlier this month as Sikeston won't either! Game of adjustment. Newll ball handling was the difference, nobody thought we would be the catalyst like he was that night! He only scored 6pts but he pushed that ball all night! One thing Sikeston can count on is they play hard! I'll be there that's for sure!

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 4:51 PM

Ace, I don't think anyone think Cape isn't a good team. They wouldn't be ranked in the top ten in the state or beaten Sikeston if they weren't good enough to capitalize on their advantages. I think Young is great athlete and great ball player who you can count on to control the ball help elevate his teammates and I like their coach better than most in the area because he will be honest with himself and admit his team's weaknesses and will throw out all kinds of lineups and defenses to hide those weaknesses. But while the "Great Orange Wall" didn't beat Sikeston it surely contributed a deal. That wall throws off sight lines and every team that plays at Cape has consistently poor shooting nights especially from the three point line. Part of that is Cape playing defense but part of that is the wall throwing off shooters ability to adjust their shot because they can't track the ball against the Orange wall.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 6:23 PM
  • The walls? Really.. I've just heard any other school or followers say that. I've read it alot from the Sikeston faithful the last 4yrs, not from anyone else. Idk

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Sun, Feb 28, 2016, at 1:44 AM
  • The walls? Really.. I've just heard never any other school or followers say that. I've read it alot from the Sikeston faithful the last 4yrs, not from anyone else. Idk

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Sun, Feb 28, 2016, at 1:44 AM
  • While I think that place needs a new paint job and a complete overhaul badly, that is hardly the reason Sikeston lost to Cape. It's very simple, Cape outplayed Sikeston. And the orange walls, while quite ugly, weren't the reason.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Feb 28, 2016, at 3:06 AM
  • Do you think there is any chance both Sikeston Boys, and Girls will come off with the championship win?

-- Posted by LayBay16 on Sun, Feb 28, 2016, at 8:26 AM

The orange walls are most certainly a joke, at least for me. Obviously they're never a reason for a loss. & I would also disagree about the actual shooting in that gym because Sikeston always dominates at the Tiger Shootout in the same gym. Personally, I always say the orange wall, combined with the orange on the floor, bleachers, and Cape's jerseys (all of which are a different shade) is just overbearing when we actually play Cape there.

The real thing is that Cape seems to always have an answer for us in that gym, it's difficult to win there. Cape has a home court advantage because they're good there. Glad districts aren't there this year!

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Sun, Feb 28, 2016, at 11:37 AM

As for the actual games, I would expect it to be Cape and Sikeston. I know absolutely nothing about Perryville, but I think Dexter should win that one based on their play of late. For Kennett/ND I have only seen ND play, but I would imagine Kennett can be a tad dangerous so I'll say Kennett advances. Sikeston and Cape will be the rematch and I'm just gonna leave it at Sikeston wins.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Sun, Feb 28, 2016, at 3:13 PM
  • Sikeston will be tough to beat, no doubt. Having home court advantage for districts the second year in a row makes it that much tougher. The orange wall had nothing to do with the last game. Sikeston faced the orange wall on offense in the first half of the Cape game. Sikeston won the first half of that game. Sikeston had the orange wall at their backs on offense the second half. Sikeston was simply outplayed...that game.

-- Posted by CHSparent on Sun, Feb 28, 2016, at 4:37 PM
  • I am not assuming that Cape will be in the final. Cape has to beat a very good team in either Notre Dame or Kennett to get to the final. Should be an exciting District tournament

-- Posted by CHSparent on Sun, Feb 28, 2016, at 4:40 PM
  • All of the games will be streamed on the cube through Sikeston High School.

-- Posted by trainhard on Sun, Feb 28, 2016, at 5:46 PM

I'm not saying it was the main reason but it is funny to me that no one shoots well there like no one. Like I said I think Cape had a great defensive game plan and made enough plays to get a lead and grinded it out for the win.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Feb 28, 2016, at 6:08 PM
  • Lol da you were crowning crown very openly and almost shockingly got dethroned by a young saxony team

We all are aware it was a joke and that they are a talented team

But like a few people and I said a couple weeks ago that cape may have picked up their win at the wrong time of the season.

Like sikeston did vs them in football this year.

May have woken up the giant and the past few games its seemed that sikeston back to being sikeston.

But definitely going to be an exciting tourney and who knows what will happen. And id rather it be a sikeston vs nd matchup personally. For sikeston chances but I know they'd like to avenge that loss.

Just a couple points about sikeston, I feel like we sell ourselves short with how many threes we take. Like against desoto they were just jacking up shots first half when they could have easily taken most of the guys to the cup. Id like to see more attacking the basket and plays that don't involve relying on the 3 ball. And I feel like their more then capable even though they aren't the biggest team.

I also feel like us speeding up the game sometimes gives up as many points as turnovers create.

And we our dang good in a half court offense and defense. Im not saying abandon the press completely. Just a good mix depending on our match up with the opponent

I like sikeston chances, but they will definitely have to earn it

And cape has a premier competitor who we all know who is going to be wanting it badly

-- Posted by superunbiased on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 7:48 AM
  • No debate on this one...SIKESTON heavy favorite!

-- Posted by indian73 on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 10:15 AM
  • For the record, im just teasing about the Wall. But its fun to complain about something haha!! Ive posted several time rite after that game that Cape earned the win 100% and if they play as well in a possible rematch Fri nite we better figure out something different on D or it'll be a LONG offseason!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 10:30 AM
  • Are they showing the games anywhere?

-- Posted by ballboy5 on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 11:13 AM

ballboy5, checkout http://www.thecube.com/welcome and then just search Sikeston high school, all of the games should be shown on there.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 12:48 PM

S-town -225

Cape +170

ND +950

Dexter+1550

-- Posted by BulldogFan1 on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 1:08 PM
  • Always nice to have the up to the minute Vegas line!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 1:24 PM

trying to add a spark

-- Posted by BulldogFan1 on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 1:25 PM
  • Rocket's usually my bookie so its good to know if he's skimmin odds and pocketing some of my hard earned benjamins

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 1:27 PM

tonight's lines:

dexter -6.5

ND -4

-- Posted by BulldogFan1 on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 1:30 PM
  • ciri...I only give the same lines that Vegas gives, baby!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 2:03 PM

Yes, i am a Sikeston fan. But i got the dogs by 40, no matter who wins in tonight's game.

-- Posted by BulldogFan1 on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 9:05 PM
  • Who thinks Sikeston has a chance to 2 district titles this boys and girls? The boys are the favorite and the girls have showed that they can beat Dexter, it's just if the girls can do it again.

-- Posted by Chaka34 on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 10:24 PM
  • Dawgettes played their best game of year last Monday. Then they topped that with an even better game last Thursday. They are a legitimate threat to win distrix but gotta maintain the high level of play vs ND and Dexter.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 12:03 AM
  • I sure didn't know that dexter had a player that could dunk

-- Posted by yaeger on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 7:55 AM

TONIGHTS SPREADS:

s-town -22 o/u 122

cape -5.5 o/u 113

-- Posted by BulldogFan1 on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 11:21 AM
  • If im sikeston im coming out tonight to play to win by a margin big enough to make everyone uneasy

But with that being said Dexter is a very respectable team and has made strides

Kenneth could possibly get another upset depending on the cape team on the floor

And ND was probably ready to put this season behind him

-- Posted by superunbiased on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 11:31 AM
  • Im takn sikes and the over and kennett and the points

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 12:47 PM

Super proud of the Sikeston Girl's program! They have had an outstanding year and wish them all the best in Districts. Two for two by the Dogs may not be that far off this year.

-- Posted by displacedshsfan on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 3:48 PM
  • Yup gotta give the lady dogs a lot of credit

-- Posted by superunbiased on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 5:36 PM
  • Sikeston 24 Dexter 11 Seven min to half

-- Posted by lastride67 on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 6:31 PM
  • Sik 47 Dexter 20 halftime

-- Posted by lastride67 on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 6:31 PM
  • Final sik 81 Dexter 51

-- Posted by lastride67 on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 7:02 PM

@cirithung17

2/2 so far!!!

-- Posted by BulldogFan1 on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 7:11 PM
  • Wasn't too impressed with cape tonight

Kennet lost that one with their late turnovers and lack of offensive options

If sikeston plays like they did tonight and against Jennings those first 3 quarters they will have a very good chance

Congrats on good seasons to Dexter and kennet

-- Posted by superunbiased on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 8:43 PM
  • Yup Bdogfan, if only I wooda actually bet money i'd be RICH!!!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 11:46 PM

In StL Class 4 action, St. Mary's knocked off Miller Career, 62-55. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/young-st-mary-s-holds...

Not a big surprise, even though Miller was riding a 14-game winning streak. St. Mary's has been playing well and had beaten them earlier in the season.

SM might stick around a bit with Vashon. But they may be a year away. Are very young, will be a factor in Class 4 next season. Coached by Kelvin Lee, who took Chaminade to the Class 5 championship in '09.

Jennings won by 4 over Berkeley. Don't have details of the game. Will have a battle with Riverview in the District 6 title game.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Wed, Mar 2, 2016, at 10:06 AM
  • Im pickn Riverview over Jennings. Uncle, what would be ur prediction with a Riverview vs Vashon matchup?

And who ya got in the matchup of Lafayette vs our alma mater PCH!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Mar 2, 2016, at 10:37 AM
  • I also think that Riverview will beat Jennings.

SM will not have a chance against Vashon.

-- Posted by Slammer on Wed, Mar 2, 2016, at 1:33 PM

Two tough ones to call. I haven't seen Riverview since Draggs and Hamilton joined the team. They have made a big difference. It sounds as though the 6'9" Draggs has D1 potential. Gonna be a titanic battle in the paint. Will be 4 and sometimes 5 guys on the floor 6'7" or taller. Farris perhaps gives Vashon an edge at PG.

Might come down to who hits the 3-pointer. Both teams have capable shooters, but they weren't consistent in the games I saw. (I've seen them both just once.) I'll say SLU-bound Zeke Moore gets hot and Riverview pulls out a close one. Of course, that's just a guess. This may turn out to be the game of the year in StL.

Lafayette is a little bigger than the Colts, hits the 3 more consistently, and has a better record. But the Colts have a quickness edge, and I like their little sophomore guard DeAndre Campbell. So I'll say Central avenges last year's close district final loss to the Lancers.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Wed, Mar 2, 2016, at 1:55 PM
  • Is Kirby still the HC there at PC?

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Wed, Mar 2, 2016, at 2:30 PM

Yes, Rick Kirby is still there. He stepped down several years ago (around the time his son graduated, I think) to spend more time with his family and became the assistant at Vianney and Eureka, but he returned to Central four years ago. He can coach. Does a lot with modest talent.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Wed, Mar 2, 2016, at 3:54 PM
  • Yes he is a fabulous coach and motivator! He was an asst coach when I played there! Good to hear he's back!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Mar 2, 2016, at 4:18 PM

Cape Central has a 4-2 record against Sikeston in their last 6 games. Should be a fun game tonight.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:38 AM
  • When was the last time Sikeston won at Cape? I was thinking they lost 4 in a row at Cape.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:49 AM

2013-2014 season. Sikeston defeated Cape Central during regular season at Cape, then lost in Districts at Cape.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 11:03 AM

DOGS -6.5 O/U 141

-- Posted by BulldogFan1 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 11:56 AM

I think Sikeston will come back and win tonight. Hard to beat a good team like Sikeston twice, especially on their home floor tonight.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 1:08 PM

Sikeston folks, what time will the doors be opening tonight for the festivities?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 1:26 PM

5 Buck get there early!

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 1:34 PM

Yep that's why I was asking, will do! Thanks Bum!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 1:37 PM

I'm trying to get there early enough to steal Rocket's seat haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 1:57 PM
  • Goodluck on that one buck

Im finally gonna get to catch a game at the field house

Last one I attended was Sikeston vs mrh and we lost so im hoping to leave seeing Sikeston with two district champs. Can't wait

-- Posted by superunbiased on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 2:41 PM
  • Buck...good luck with getting my seat. Ha!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 2:48 PM
  • Ill be shocked if the Dogs don't win by 1000 tonight

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 2:51 PM
  • Sikes by 25!!

-- Posted by bball79 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 4:05 PM

Haha I hear you!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 4:14 PM
  • What time does the games start?

-- Posted by ealge97 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 5:06 PM
  • Wow home cooking tonight for the Bulldogs!!

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 6:43 PM
  • Will this game be streamed live

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 7:16 PM
  • -- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 7:29 PM
  • the streaming is terrible

-- Posted by MHS08 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 7:46 PM
  • What is the score??

-- Posted by FAN24 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 7:52 PM

19-12 Sikeston after 1. Refs are calling it tight.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 7:54 PM
  • Who won the girl's game?

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 8:00 PM

Charter cable channel 985

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 8:01 PM

Dexter girls won by 3 I believe they said

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 8:09 PM

Sikeston up 28-23 at halftime.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 8:10 PM
  • Keep it within 10. Then al takes over

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 8:15 PM

Al only had 4 points in the first half. Both teams shooting terrible.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 8:22 PM

Sikeston leads 44-39 after 3.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 8:37 PM

50-47 Sikeston with 2:20 remaining

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 8:50 PM

I seen Kimble almost ball up on Harmons head..that would have been hilarious he needs it!!

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 8:50 PM

Sikeston up 54-51 with 37 secs left. Sikeston ball.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 8:55 PM

That was a terrible game as far as reffing goes, lots of no calls..then it seemed as if they were picking on Kimble under the basket..it was rough in there but he was the only one getting called when both players were being physical with each other. Congrats Sikeston you grinded this one out only hitting two from behind the arc.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:00 PM

8 secs left. Sikeston up 58-55 with the ball.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:03 PM

Sikeston avenges their only loss of the season by defeating Cape 59-55.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:05 PM
  • Beef I'm sure you'd be quite the official if you were to don the stripes yourself.

...I really wish there was a sarcasm font

-- Posted by Skeet on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:07 PM
  • Big shout out to Sikeston Adminstration. I don't care what anybody else says but A+ job from them.

Kimbel will miss next game though that will hurt

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:12 PM
  • Kimble was ejected? Just thought it was a tech

Don't like seeing kids singled out like that because he came to play tonight

Congrats sikeston

Harmmon is full of himself

But the face he made when he thought he was about to get run up on was PRICELESS

but he shouldn't have acted like that

-- Posted by superunbiased on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:31 PM
  • Super as a unbiased observer what I saw was a player charging an official. Weather you like the call or not a kid shouldn't do that.

Sikeston did what it needed to do to get the W. Best of luck to the Coaches and kids rest of way

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:38 PM
  • Congrats to the Sikeston faithful! TFA, ciri, Rocket et al.

Murph, sorry it came to an end for your guys tonight. Cape sure came to play tonight!

The Cube is awesome! Wish we had that up here!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:39 PM
  • That was Juwons 5th foul so don't think he was ejected. Thanks IP that was a nail biter for sure. I just want to say that Al Young is one of the best athletes I've seen play in football and basketball. Enjoy your football scholarship but thinking you could of had one in basketball also somewhere.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:47 PM

Pretty sure he doesn't have to sit out a game for "charging" an official. Lots of people have charged officials. Consequences come when something actually happens such as a push, punch, RKO, etc.

Speaking of officials...they struggled...all night...both sides. There was no consistency. I'm not throwing them under the bus because I would have done so much worse. But I don't believe anyone had their best game tonight, including the refs.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:53 PM
  • PC bobby kite read a line up from your post

-- Posted by superunbiased on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:54 PM
  • Well said 21

Both games also

-- Posted by superunbiased on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:56 PM
  • Bulldog ,

That's just it, you guys think that type of reaction is ok. What other game did that happen in this yr!? I think he's a great player and probably a great kid off the court , but tonight he let the moment get the best of him and it wasn't a good scene IMO

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:57 PM
  • Also I didn't see it as much as a charge as I did an emotional senior who could have played his last second of high school basketball after have multiple ticky tack calls

Probably felt singled out

And he was the only consistent player on the court

He played with a lot of heart from the get go and unfortunately didn't get to play as much ad he would've liked.

Refs should be held accountable also, they make mistakes, and when players or coaches make mitskes in games its addressed and critiqued. They are not above that

Also loved the game the freshman center played tonight. You could tell he was nervous but came in with some big blocks and rebounds and for the first time since cp we had a true down low presence on the court. And OT was known and he changed capes game plan a little. He made a few mistakes but id love to see a line up with kimble at the 4 and him the 5. When you need to go big.

-- Posted by superunbiased on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:01 PM
  • It sure didn't get the reaction out of the opposing fans that your giving lol

But still no ones saying he should've done it

-- Posted by superunbiased on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:04 PM
  • Good game. Hat off to sikeston they were better team tonight. Good game ct be proud.

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:07 PM
  • Super do you even watch the game!!? Or just the officials?

It's called adjusting to how game is called. You get called for same foul multiple times, might want to do something different.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:17 PM
  • Great game Bulldogs !

We're going to Jackson 🎹🎹🎤🎤🎤🎤🎤

-- Posted by A fan of no fan on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:17 PM
  • If those guys from St Gen were their coaches well I'm just saying we usually hit more shots, that was Cape doing not many can do that.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:23 PM

Tfa,Don't worry Sikeston will have no trouble at all with St.gen!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:35 PM

Bobbykite, am I saying his actions were justified? No. The game got the better of him at that instant, which cannot happen. I'm sure he will agree, as will Coach Holifield. However, that does not warrant a suspension. When a player slams the ball and gets a tech for it, or a player curses or whatever to an official they get a tech. Juwon's reaction can be compared to these and classified as disrespect and I do believe a tech should have been called. But there was no harm to anyone when he "charged" the official. Thus no suspension.

Also, everyone was battling like that all night. Fred and Al were going at it! Fred got away with a few push offs here and there and so did Al. Juwon didn't. That was one of the more physical games in recent memory though. Trey Jenkins came in and played awesome! HUGE minutes.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:59 PM
  • go back and look at the film, al was wearing juwon out under the basket right in front of refs, and finally juwon retaliated and they are the ones that always get caught.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 11:07 PM

Al was extremely physical tonight. I will give him credit though, he mostly did it with his body when I saw it. There were also times when they were battling for position something would go against him and he would start looking around for an official in the middle of the play.

Juwon was on a mission tonight, it's a shame he didn't get more minutes.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 11:12 PM
  • I am convinced if Cape wooda come out with their shoelaces tied together it still wooda been a 4pt game. They just wear us out. Kudos to both teams, it was a war from the opening tip and not for the faint of heart. You just gotta expect the unexpected when these two teams get together.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 1:37 AM
  • I am very disappointed that the games were held at the Sikeston Field House as it does not have the capacity to seat enough fans for big games like last night. The line to get in the building was wrapped around out into the street. We arrived a hour and fifteen minutes before the game. Had to wait outside and wasn't let in until after halftime was over! I'd guess at least a hundred, maybe more were turned away. It's very frustrating when you make the drive hoping to watch your team play. As I recall Sikeston team complained about Cape's gym, at least there was room for your fans.

-- Posted by mytigerroars on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 5:02 AM
  • tigers....no disrespect, but Sikeston has the largest seating capacity of any team in the area....almost 3,000. I don't know Cape's seating capacity, but it's not 3,000. If this game had been held at any other district school even LESS people would have gotten in.

You have to realize that Sikeston had TWO teams playing in the district finals. So we had fans in line at 5...and a line formed then. I'm sorry you didn't get in.

FWIW...my thoughts on the game...I thought the Dogs would shoot well at home and win by a larger margin. Hats off to Cape....they made us EARN this victory. It was a grinder from the tip. Cape is tough and physical and they were definitely the #6 team in the state. Great season.

I can't say that I'm sad to see Al graduate. Ha! He's an unbelievable athlete...good luck to him with his football career.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 6:54 AM
  • TFA I look forward to meeting you Tuesday nigh! As much as I love my Dragons I just don't see how SG can even keep this game close! I think SG could of played with Cape but not Sikeston! I like the Dawgs by 20+.

-- Posted by Bleed Green 2 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 8:06 AM
  • Rocket869:

What time will the game in Jackson be ?

-- Posted by A fan of no fan on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 8:17 AM
  • Hats off to Dom for making his free throws last night, we needed them and he came through. Most of Dexter fans didn't leave either because they wanted to watch our game. I got there at 4:45 and there was a line couldn't believe it so I hurried up and got in line. Bleed Green I haven't met anyone that says they were finally going to meet like Buck and cheesehead so maybe I will meet you.

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 8:33 AM
  • Bonus hill says 7:45 but again Dexter girls play first and their fans travel well and so does ours so looks like I'm getting there early again.

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 8:35 AM
  • Me and Coach T will be making the trip! I can't miss SG'S first playoff game in 67 yrs! Trust me u will know who I am when the game kicks off!! Lol

-- Posted by Bleed Green 2 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 8:38 AM
  • That's right you will be the fan that even St Gen will be embarrassed about!!! 😂😂 I remember football posts

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 8:39 AM
  • Did u come to game last night?

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 8:40 AM
  • I think Jackson gym is bigger and also I think Dexter wouldve held more. The fieldhouse just isn't big enough anymore.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 9:04 AM
  • I don't get into Basketball like I do football! Plus Coach will b with me and I'll have my oldest so I'll be on my best behavior! And no I didn't go last night! Heard it was a good game. Ain't gonna lie we SG folks were pulling for Cape!

-- Posted by Bleed Green 2 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 9:21 AM
  • Sikeston fans got turned away 2yrs ago when Cape hosted distrix, this happens every year unless its held at Dexter. I dont remember any fans gettn turned away when Dex hosted.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 9:26 AM

TFA you said you were going to beat me up last time haha, I had to stay away! Maybe at Jackson!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 9:37 AM
  • Defensive Ace....Jackson isn't in our district, so that's a moot point. Dexter is MAYBE SLIGHTLY bigger... Either way, people would have gotten shut out. Name of the game....get there early.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 9:54 AM
  • And....by the way...we LOVE districts at Sikeston West! Ha!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 9:57 AM
  • SG is going to have the slow the game down and use their muscle to man handle the Dawgs! If not its gonna get ugly!

-- Posted by Bleed Green 2 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 10:06 AM
  • Bleed I can't believe you were wanting Cape to win and make my sons senior year over. Buck excuses, excuses!

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 10:17 AM
  • We always pick apart a slow game by steal after steal

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 10:18 AM
  • TFA I think it's safe to say your son should have 4 more games!

-- Posted by Bleed Green 2 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 10:33 AM
  • Well rocket you said the largest seating capacity in the area not district. So....be clearer next time, player! It still doesn't take away the facts that they're two gyms in semo area that are bigger.I have no doubt Dexter wouldve held more, their bleachers go higher and behind the basket.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 10:34 AM
  • All I got to say about last nights game is Al YOUNG I'm glad your done. You are quite a competitor and wish you well. Sure lots of Sikeston fans feel the same. Good luck. Hope you don't play baseball, scoccer or run track.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 10:38 AM
  • Agreed DA, ive always wondered if Dexter held more fans than Fieldhouse, it sure seems like it but im just not sure. Both venues are top of the line facilities for HS hoops. Any Dexter posters know the Bearcat Arena seating capacity?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 10:43 AM

I'm almost convinced people would have gotten turned away at Dexter too. There were people from all over coming to watch the game, not just fans of the two schools. If it's a big game people are going to come watch. Perhaps the only gym big enough for everyone to see this game who wanted was the Show Me a Center.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 10:57 AM
  • DA (aka playa)....you are correct, I meant to put district, but I didn't. My bad... The Dogs are 100-9 in the Fieldhouse since switching to a zone in 2007. Not too shabby...

Jackson may hold more, but their gym is jacked up...no disrespect intended. Iit's just odd to have goals mounted on the walls and to have an upper deck where the first 3 or 4 rows in the upper deck can't see the whole floor. AND the bleachers are on about a 90 degree slope. Ha! If you stumble at all, you will end up on the court.

As for seating...Dexter has a very nice facility, no doubt.

DA....don't be trying to dog someone else's facility when the Jays Nest seats about 40. You have to get there before school is out! We sat through a half period of gym just to get a seat! Haha! Just kidding....Charleston is small, but provides a great home court advantage for Charleston.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 11:01 AM
  • DA has bashed sikestons bball team from schedule to defense etc. I am not surprised the facilities are now in question. But hey, if we were 15-10 no one would care one by about us. So bring it.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 11:10 AM
  • One bit .....before grammar patrol arrests me.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 11:12 AM

TFA, I told you that you would have to tell me what you looked like in order to meet. You never responded back so I couldn't meet someone who I did know what they looked like lol. Meeting a mystery person is kinda tough lol. I've meet plenty of people from here so I wasn't intentionally avoiding you haha.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 12:17 PM
  • Vashon Beat St Mary's

And Riverview beat Jennings by 1

And parkway lost also to Lafayette

-- Posted by superunbiased on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 12:30 PM
  • Agreed, barkley. Sikeston gets haters talking about our zone, weak schedule, and now facilities. I think it's hilarious! Means we are doing something right!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 1:26 PM
  • And cape couldn't stop us when we actually fed the ball down low. Kimble was on a mission and when we ran plays with Fred cutting back door we had great success. And Jenkins should start getting big minutes now because his part of our future.

Especially on a night like last night were our shooting was off. We have got to feed the ball down low and make things happen

-- Posted by superunbiased on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 1:41 PM
  • Sikeston You're taking it wrong. you're facility is fine but not for the games that went on in there last night. Needs to be held at the Show Me Center or a larger venue that could've accommodated more than 3,000. My point is, no one should've been turned away! There were players relatives that couldn't even get in to watch their family/kids play and that's sad.

-- Posted by mytigerroars on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 1:43 PM

That was the best game that I had personally seen #4 for Sikeston play. He showed great flashes. I was impressed.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 1:44 PM
  • Why weren't Cape Central fans complaining two years ago when hundreds of Sikeston fans and relatives got turned away at Cape Central?

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 1:53 PM

The worm has turned semohoops! Now all we are gonna get is crickets...

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 1:56 PM

I agree Buck, although I also believe that was the most minutes he has seen in consistent varsity action. Excellent coaching move by Sikeston's staff to bring in some more height and he really rose to the occasion. ONIONS!

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 1:58 PM
  • I agree tigerroars but I dont think its even possible to use the SMC for just the dist champ game. And no way for the whole tourney cuzza logistics and schools would lose money renting it out. Your premise is sound but its probably not able to be done or else our district wooda done it.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 2:09 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: