Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Sikeston vs Cape Central - Valentine's Day Matchup

Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:57 AM:

The game tomorrow night will probably decide who gets the #1 seed in Class 4, District 1. The two teams have faced common opponents, but the outcome of this game isn't based on those other games. Sikeston has a much better record, but Cape Central is big and athletic. The Dogs lost a heartbreaker to Jackson in OT and Jackson beat Cape by 17.

I think the Dogs have the edge in guard play and defense, but Cape has the size advantage. The Dogs will try to negate the size differential with continuous ball pressure.

I like Sikeston by 10-12 in a hard fought game. What does everyone else think?

Replies (31)

It will be a good game, I think our speed will wear cape down in the late 1stt half or the 2nd half. Sikeston wins by 12.

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:20 AM
  • Cape is taller and faster than Sikeston.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:48 AM
  • Two things: one don't forget ND is still in the mix. For the one seed, but with Urhann out probably most of the year I don't know how that will effect them.

Number 2: I agree with your statement SHS Bum, but why doesn't Cape play more fast paced? I feel like they have the athletes. I understand they aren't very deep, but I feel they aren't any less deep than Charleston who plays more up and down.

I don't know what do you guys think? And by no means am I saying I know more than Coach Church. He is a great coach, and always admire his teams, just have an opinion on this. Thanks guys.

-- Posted by Radar99 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:51 AM
  • What happened to Urhahn. Love watching him.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 12:14 PM
  • Not sure really. Heard he was in a boot, and that he had a severe ankle sprain, like level 3 or something? Whatever that means

-- Posted by Radar99 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 12:26 PM
  • I'm not overlooking ND at all. I just think that the winner of this game has the inside track to the #1 seed...especially Sikeston since if they win, they will have beaten Cape, ND, and Kennett. That's just my thoughts....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 12:36 PM
  • Sikes wins this one by double digits. I posted the other day that I think Capes style of play doesn't match their athletes. Not sure why they want to slow it down so much and try to win in the 50's. they are very deliberate offensively.

-- Posted by bball79 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 1:20 PM

Cape wants to play slow of course. But once Sikeston plays fast, Cape will get carried away some and play fast also. Going by this I expect it to be a very competitive game for atleast the first 2 quarters, maybe three. But if the game is continuously fast, Sikeston all the way.

1)They're in better shape as they always play fast. 2)Cape will have more turnovers than normal because of playing faster than they're used to.

3) I expect Sikeston to win by 13+.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 1:40 PM
  • I expect everyone to bring me a valentine tomorrow that's what I think! Ok joking. I think Cape can be compared to ND you just never know what to expect. But we have to come out 1st quarter and make our shots not start out missing.

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 2:18 PM
  • Rocket I apologize I should have clarified better. Basically if Sikeston win it's a no doubter they are the number 1 seed, but if Cape wins I don't think they should get it hands down either. Based on common opponents Cape has lost to New Madrid who ND and Sikeston beat, but Cape beat Charleston who has beat Sikeston(I think at least can't remember) and split with ND. All three have lost to Jackson, so it really is a toss up who is the one seed.

How I would seed right now:

1. Sikeston

2. ND-solely based on ND beat Kennett by more at Kennett and their guard was still on the team.

3. Central- barely beat Kennett without that one guard (name slips my mind someone help me).

4. Kennett

-- Posted by Radar99 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 2:39 PM
  • I think Sikeston's speed, depth, and defense will negate Cape's size advantage and they will win by 12-15 points. The only reservation I have about that prediction is that Sikeston has not played well at Cape the last few trips up there, so we will see how it goes.

As far as districts goes, of course if Sikeston wins they will lock up the #1 seed. Even if they lose, I still think they will get it based on record and state rankings. Kennett is assured the #4 seed as they have lost to Sikeston (twice), ND, and split with Cape but lost the regular season game. So that will put ND and Cape at #2 or #3 depending on how their game turns out next week at the SMC. Just my thoughts.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 4:21 PM
  • BTW, Walt Jr., I think the name you're trying to think of is Akeem Nelson of Kennett.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 4:22 PM
  • Seed meeting is before that game though Preach

-- Posted by Radar99 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 6:18 PM
  • Preach...I forgot to mention the fact that Cape has beaten Sikeston at home the past 2 meetings. I'm glad you posted that. However, the Dogs have won the past 3 games against opponents other than Cape in Cape's gym (Imagine Prep 2012, Parkway South 2012, and Miller Career 2014 - all Cape Shootout games).

It will be an interesting game to say the least.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 6:31 PM
  • I don't think Cape has the guard play to win this one. Sikeston by 12ish,

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 7:15 PM
  • Sikeston depth and style will be too much for Cape. Sikeston by 15+

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 7:27 PM

Sikeston will need to stay out of foul trouble with their bigs. If they do, I dont see Cape winning. Statum and Cox will need to play well.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 8:38 AM
  • Sikeston by 15+

-- Posted by CTFan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 9:16 AM
  • Cape might not have the guard play to match sikeston but that's no different then the last couple years. Cape is at home and sikeston just doesn't seem to fare well when playing on cape's homecoming every year. What I'm most interested in is seeing which player for cape steps up big tonight. The last few years they've had one player that went off in this game. It's going to be a good game and that's about my only prediction.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 9:39 AM
  • This isn't cape's homecoming this year CapeAlum. They played Kennett last week for homecoming.

-- Posted by CTFan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 9:43 AM
  • I see, my mistake. That's what I get for making assumptions based on what I remember from old schedules.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 11:10 AM
  • SMI...you are correct. JT and Reese will need to stay out of foul trouble for the Sikeston gameplan to work.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 11:57 AM
  • I thought after cape thrashed jays at the xmas tourney that they were gonna just take off. Cape still scares me in distrix if they able to put an entire four qtrs together. I think this game will be close tonite.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 1:00 PM
  • Maybe since Central thrashed the Jays, who knows what could happen tonight. Should be a close game depending on gaurd play for cape and the bigs of sikeston. Looking forward to it.

-- Posted by CTFan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 1:07 PM
  • Cape's beat us last two times we travelled to the orange-walled jungle so i just think anything goes tonite. We havnt had good karma and its due to that orange monstrosity haha!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 2:34 PM

We'll we beat ND at their place which we haven't done in a few years so maybe we can do it at Cape!

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 3:36 PM
  • Any score update

-- Posted by eric birk on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 8:26 PM

Pretty much nailed how this game would go. Not gonna toot my own horn or go on about it. Go Dogs!!!

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 8:54 PM

Big win tonight for the dawgs!

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 9:32 PM
  • Found out one thing about Cape they have the sorriest PA system around. They need to go to Dexter and find out who put there's in and get a fix

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sat, Feb 15, 2014, at 9:32 AM
  • JT got into early foul trouble, but the rest of the team REALLY stepped up. The team really played tough last night. That was a GREAT win!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Feb 15, 2014, at 9:48 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: