Semoball

Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: 3 player?ms?

Posted by Redsandguy on Sat, Dec 12, 2015, at 2:14 PM:

New coach new attitude. I understand that! This team is 0-8 and the coach decides to let go of 3 players that were contributing in one way or another. I have not seen a game this year under the new coach, nor have I seen one in the last 20 years; however, why let go of 3 players that have not been in trouble on or off the court nor have bad grades? Is there something else? I think the Jones kid from Sikeston was a walk on but what about the other two? What about their scholarships? Coach you are 0-8 and not in a great position to just be letting kids go off the team. You have Ole Miss today with only 10 players. I hope you do not start to have any injuries. Maybe if the other kids on the team liked the other ones, they should do what Mizzou did and band together. Not play for this coach. Joking joking, I'm joking. Jones, in my opinion, is not a D-1 caliber player. I didn't think he was in high school. But no one can knock the kids hustle and attitude once he steps on the court. As I have said, I've yet to watch him play a college game but I figure much wouldn't have changed from high school. Good luck to these 3 gentlemen. I hope you guys figure something out. And to the new coach at Semo, thank you for giving these 3 a nice Christmas gift right before the holidays.

Replies (60)

• Title should've been 3 players?

Dang autocorrect on this phone! I think I need to upgrade to an iPhone because these Galaxy's are not very good.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Sat, Dec 12, 2015, at 2:16 PM
  • This isn't a case of addition by subtraction. They're 0-8 and will be lucky to win 10 games. At least with a local kid you would have people just to watch him. I know people from Sikeston went to the games just because of JT Jones.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sat, Dec 12, 2015, at 2:59 PM
  • Exactly Fatboy1972! I believe kicking a local guy off the team that busted his tail off to make the team, start a few games, then decide to go a different direction is not winning over the fan base any. But then again he didn't ask us and he'll have to suffer the consequences as he tries to scrape out a few wins. So far....it's not looking too promising for the new coach.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Sat, Dec 12, 2015, at 5:11 PM
  • Redsand...we'll have to agree to disagree about Jones and whether or not he is a D-1 talent. Obviously Coach Nutt and "Coach" Ray thought so.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Dec 12, 2015, at 5:25 PM
  • I can go with that Rocket. I didn't mean any disrespect towards Jones by any means. I meant to say in HIGH SCHOOL I didn't believe he was a D-1 athlete. But nonetheless they did see him work his butt of and he WAS a D-1 athlete. I apologize for my misspoken words. Jones in fact should be playing D-1 and I wish he could go somewhere and play Semo and stick it back in his face! Has anyone spoken to these 3 on what they are going to do?

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Sat, Dec 12, 2015, at 7:12 PM
  • I understand. I may have read your comments wrong. I apologize for that.

JT has some offers to play for next fall. We will see how it works out. I'm not at liberty to say right now.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Dec 12, 2015, at 7:40 PM
  • I just can't get over this press release at 10:45 in the evening. Stories I'm hearing is that it was out well before that and the players even knew, according to the article, days before. Why, Coach and athletic department, do you wait until everyone is pretty much asleep or you think they are asleep to make this announcement? Sounds like something the government would do. SMH again, doesn't look good for a guy trying to make a program and he's already 0-9

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 11:19 AM
  • Redsand...they were told Wednesday morning.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 1:03 PM
  • I really don't understand why a coach would left go of his leading guard. I am beginning to think this coach has a big EGO!!! If you don't feel, think or talk like him your out! The rest of the players need to be careful not use their voice, be late, over sleep or show any emotions because they will be out too! He need to come down a notch this is not a million dollar job, oh I forgot he didn't do good in MS either. He should be trying to keep all his players because his game plans is not working. I am happy to see the hustle in the players and you think he would too. Maybe giving it your all and losing every game is what the coach want, I mean after all someone has to take the blame, why not players who next? WHAT A SURPRISE!!! Shame on you Coach Ray.

-- Posted by semofan17 on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 1:16 PM
  • Maybe the kids should speak up. Not protest. I was joking on that earlier. But if the team unifies they might get better. Playing with heart goes along way. In regulates to Semofan17 comment on Ray, he did have an outstanding class coming in before he got fired at MS. I am not saying I like this guy because that's far from it but he can recruit.

I think the AD needs to sit down with this character and tell him he's about to lose the little fan support he does/did have. Or maybe the AD is in on this too?

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 1:43 PM
  • Fan support? It appeared that Semo had one of the biggest crowds on the year against Ole Miss.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 2:33 PM
  • They weren't there to see semo

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 3:27 PM

jwhitlock assumes that the away team cannot draw fan support. Obviously SEMO and their 0-8 record with the news of 3 players being kicked off the team will draw in the fans. Redhawks should do this more often.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 7:31 PM
  • The next home game will be back to the normal, or even less than normal level, of attendance. The only reason attendance was up for the last game is because the opponent was Ole Miss. Period.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 8:21 PM
  • It's an every year thing for coaches to take over a program, but have never ever hear of one coming in and telling kids there no longer on the team. Maybe not play them and let them leave on there own. This guy is as classless as they come. Can't wait for him to show up at Sikeston and see the crowd reaction when they announce him in the crowd. Bet he never shows up.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 8:52 PM
  • With the timing of last week it's now obvious why he didnt show up at the SEMO conference tournament!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 9:03 PM
  • He didn't even go to the tournament??? What an idiot! There were several kids that could've played at Semo. Again at Semo not a high caliber D-1 school. I am including Thatch and Leech in the several just to clear that up!

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 9:28 PM
  • Hell will freeze over before Ray gets a recruit from Sikeston...and you can probably add most of southeast Missouri to that list too.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 9:53 PM
  • I doubt Rick Ray was going to be recruiting from the Southeast region anyways.

-- Posted by arich35 on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 9:56 PM
  • That may be true, but there are at least 3 players (Thatch, Leech, and Jones) who could all potentially make contributions there. I would wager that's out now.... Not that they would have necessarily chosen SEMO anyway, but certainly not now.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 9:59 PM
  • Just because they have the talent doesn't mean they are the type of player for his system. I think through all this we have determined Ray likes it a certain way and he wants certain players for how he wants to run his team.

-- Posted by arich35 on Sun, Dec 13, 2015, at 11:51 PM

Well he is clearly making lots of enemies in the SEMO and Nashville areas with how he has handled these players. If I'm any kind of HS coach I'm steering my kids away from Rick Ray.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 12:00 AM
  • Arich35,

I agree that he wants it a certain way. However, these guys are 21 or younger and, to me, this sends the wrong message.new coach new system. I get that. Buy you chose to take these guys, and start keep that in mind, at the beginning of the summer and into the season. Why not finish the season out and just not play them if they didn't "fit into the system you wanted?

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 8:37 AM
  • I am not agreeing with how he handled this situation or the decision to dismiss the players at all.

-- Posted by arich35 on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 12:54 PM
  • Coaching is taking what you got and getting the best out of it. Until you can get the guys you want to play in your system. The thing with this system is that none of the players are getting it. I'm SEMO Alumni and a fan of the program, but only 1 player on the entire team is averaging double figures and as a team we are only averaging 60 pts per. Maybe if more emphasizes was put on the defensive in the team wouldn't be 0-9. The scoring margin is -18.1.

I've been knowing JT for years, and if Ray was going to get rid of three guys, he should have did it at the start of the year or at the end when they still would've maintained eligibility.

As for SEMO getting another kid from the SEMO area, all this will be forgotten if the program starts winning. Winning solves all.

Rick Ray was 37--60 as a head coach in the SEC at Mississippi State. I think he's a good guy, with alot of work to do at SEMO. Getting the APR right, Building a fanbase(often that thinks every good player from the area should be playing there)that like they will not get around anyone not from "SEMO".

SEMO record is 292-401 overall from 1992-2015, Going back to D2 isn't probably going to happen so a below average basketball program is probably what it will always be. Let's just support the kids getting a college degree.

-- Posted by coachporterjp3 on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 2:14 PM
  • Why would you steer your kids away from him if he's recruiting them. Those 3 guys weren't kids he recruited. This statement doesn't mean i agree with how he or Semo handled the situation. Like Proter said if he starts winning in the next couple years all this will be forgotten.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 2:24 PM

Why would you want any kid for a coach who doesn't care about his players? I don't care if he did not recruit them, he knew the situation before he took the job. I personally will now never go to a semi game as long as he there.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 2:40 PM

People are mostly stupid and that explains a lot about this country

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 2:42 PM
  • Don't think Semo will miss you if you go to a game or not. Nobody goes anyway but if he happens to start winning in the next couple years they'll start going.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 3:07 PM
  • coachporter....I totally agree on the eligibility aspect. If he got rid of them at the beginning or end of the season, this is a non issue. New coach. New program. His rules...

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 3:13 PM
  • I'd be willing to bet that Rick Ray is not going to have a winning record at SEMO. Any takers?

-- Posted by T-Roll on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 3:18 PM
  • I'm with T-Roll and I know several other guys who comment here who back T-Roll as well.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 3:51 PM
  • Keep a good APR , put about 4,000 people I the stands (only holds 7,000) , keep one local kid on the roster, and play .500 basketball. Is all you got to do at SEMO and that should keep you that job for a while. If Ray can do this T-Roll it will be a breath of fresh air. I actually would have seen Dickey Nutt get another year, but Rick Ray is our guy and we gotta take the good and the bad the duration of his tenure.

-- Posted by coachporterjp3 on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 5:57 PM
  • Sad thing is Coachp is he probably has burnt a huge bridge in the area already. I cannot imagine any parents letting their child play for this guy.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 6:25 PM
  • I may have misunderstood what he said on the news but I took it that he says he doesn't have to explain his actions to the public just to his team. Sounds like a nice guy.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 6:28 PM
  • source tells me he charged at Coleman at practice and players had to seperate them.

-- Posted by RiceHarper on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 6:33 PM
  • You are right TFA. It's his way or the highway!!

I wish him nothing but the worst, and that's from a former SEMO season ticket holder! Bring back Shumate!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 6:59 PM
  • CoachP,

You bring up a good point. When someone is winning people forget things. What if the team was 9-0 and then did this. Would everyone still be in an outcry? I can tell you from a personal stand point I would still be upset. He did these guys wrong. He played them and cost them a year of eligibility. That is just wrong. He keeps talking about the other two but not JT. That's wrong. If Rocket is right, which I believe him, and JT and his family hasn't been contacted, what about the interm AD letting Ray go now!

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Mon, Dec 14, 2015, at 7:12 PM
  • I would say that better than 90% of the "big talkers" on Semoball will be in line to buy tickets if SEMO starts winning.

Only a selfish individual would wish bad things on this program. It doesn't matter who you or I want to coach. It doesn't matter how you or I think the job should be done.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Dec 15, 2015, at 9:44 AM
  • Only a selfish individual would support his team only when they are winning.

And yes, it does matter what the fans and supporters think. Without their support, there is no program.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Dec 15, 2015, at 10:53 AM
  • Your right fan support does help build a program but there hasn't been any support in years at Semo and only way to solve that is start winning and if Ray starts winning this will all be forgotten.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Dec 15, 2015, at 11:17 AM
  • Winning will always provide a bevy of bandwagon jumpers. Many of which are on this site.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Dec 15, 2015, at 11:23 AM
  • It will change people's minds but not mine. I am not an alum from there. I actually graduated from University of Missouri and have season tickets to there for football. Yes I was upset at the way things transpired up here but nonetheless I'm still a season ticket holder. As for Semo, I won't go watch a game there not while that coach is there. Going there now shows that you support him and what he's done. HE is the figure head of the basketball team. If he continues to lose, which they will, he will be gone before everyone knows it. Give it a couple of years. Trust me, he'll be gone because the gym will be even more empty. Jones brought crowd to see him play. Maybe not many but it was more than if he wasn't on the team.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Tue, Dec 15, 2015, at 11:55 AM
  • I do agree that the crowds can't get much smaller!

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Dec 15, 2015, at 11:59 AM
  • I agree if he doesn't start winning in a couple of years he'll be gone. Did you look in your crystal ball to know he won't be winning? I for one haven't been to a Semo game in 6 or 7 years mainly because they have sucked and when Nutt did have some talent the last couple years he couldn't do anything with it because he SUCKED as a coach, but if they start putting a good team on the floor i'll start going.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Dec 15, 2015, at 1:12 PM
  • I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on Rick Ray to produce a good SEMO team, or anywhere for that matter.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Tue, Dec 15, 2015, at 2:25 PM
  • I'm not but it sure would be nice to have a good D-1 team to go watch.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Dec 15, 2015, at 2:44 PM
  • There is no comparison to this years roster and the roster SEMO had two years ago with Nino, Tyler Stone and Jarekious Bradley. Not even close.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Dec 15, 2015, at 4:28 PM

Dickey was a heck of a recruiter, I think his actually coaching was what lacked. He probably was a good recruiter because he was very approachable and a stand up guy. He just didn't quite blossom that talent once it was here, which is unfortunate.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Wed, Dec 16, 2015, at 11:02 PM
  • It seems pretty clear after reading what Erik Sean had to say what is going on.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Dec 17, 2015, at 6:59 PM
  • From a guy who makes money off the semo basketball team, your inferring that a 4.0 student and someone a lot of us know personally are what he said.

So your believing the man who wad paid a lot of money to leave a school and a man who is paid money to have a good relationship with the semo coach via his job... Lol

Just my two cents if he is "coaching a bunch of players he doesn't know or recruited" hed try to coach a style that'd fit them a little more.

But again no one will respond to this could have been done a lot sooner, the fact that cutting them 10 days before semester ends to transfer BY semester in order to not sit out an extra semester. But it was for the kids

Watch Todd Richards interview (yeah can't believe I said it either) after hes asked about Wallace's big game against Memphis then is cut right after that.

-- Posted by superunbiased on Fri, Dec 18, 2015, at 1:40 AM
  • Yeah I agree rocketsbro. He seems like maybe hed be a better assistant coach, little less of the game to game outcome and burden but still able to use what he does best his people skills to land the recruits and relationships with players. Talking about nutt.

And now we have the complete opposite Lol, im on campus now and ive literally asked around 20-25 people I know and not one of them knows who the new coach is Lol. Were there any "meet rick ray" functions?

And someone said he said forum posters are a bunch of low lifes or something along those lines. I like to believe that even if we can't ever agree that we all are some of the most passionate fans to care enough to take time out of our days to discuss the sports we love. We probably all dint miss a game that's in our control and we've all probably said his name more then 95% of people in cape who have no idea who he is Lol. But hey what can ya do

-- Posted by superunbiased on Fri, Dec 18, 2015, at 1:46 AM
  • It would also be nice to have a good D2 team to watch!!

D2 built the show me center and it was rocking back in those days!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Dec 18, 2015, at 2:07 AM
  • Where did the last article go about Ray making his own bed. I can't find it now.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Dec 18, 2015, at 6:56 AM
  • Nevermind i found it.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Dec 18, 2015, at 7:02 AM
  • Before my time Indian pride, and its sad that the three biggest events in the arena and football stadium were high school games

-- Posted by superunbiased on Fri, Dec 18, 2015, at 12:16 PM
  • Winning is the only thing that's gonna change that.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Dec 18, 2015, at 1:30 PM
  • Not going to happen under his watch!!!

-- Posted by rodanderson999@gmail.com on Sat, Dec 19, 2015, at 9:01 PM
  • jwhitlock...I don't agree with most of your take on the SEMO player dismissal but you are dead on about Nino, Tyler Stone, and Bradley. The team that year was much better than the one SEMO has this year, but they underperformed. The talent level on that team was the best we have had in the last 10 years. Those three players were recruited primarily by Rosser and he was SEMO's best recruiter. There were several years where I thought we had the talent to challenge for the OVC Championship but for whatever reason (game-time coaching, player development, injuries, team cohesion)it did not happen. A lot of games were blown in the last five minutes. That will get most head coaches fired. It might be worse to have an average team that meets expectations than one that is above average and fails.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Sun, Dec 20, 2015, at 2:14 PM
  • Last statement should have been the other way around...It might be worse for a coach to have an above average team that fails than to have an average team that meets expectations.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Sun, Dec 20, 2015, at 2:18 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: