Semoball

High School Volleyball Forum: Ok it's that time. Who wins the Leopold sectional?

Posted by SEMOvbfan on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 9:45 AM:

Who pulls this one out??

Replies (25)

Leopold in 3 sets

-- Posted by goBIGblue on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 11:05 AM
  • Leopold! is it true that schools are limited to 115 fans at Sectionals??

-- Posted by bowhunter11 on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 11:34 AM
  • Yes 115 fans. Awful to do that to schools that travel. State needs to say if you can't hold 1000 fans at sectionals it should be moved.

-- Posted by SEMOvbfan on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 12:08 PM
  • Amen to that!! I also don't think any team should have home-court advantage past Districts. It's unfair. Do fans need to sign up prior?? A lot of people just like to go and watch..and aren't necessarily a fan of one particular school.

-- Posted by bowhunter11 on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 12:10 PM
  • Show up in the other teams Garb! Hahaha

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 12:18 PM

Just because Leopold is small they still can hold sectionals. Why can't they get in on hosting a event and for once the gilrs can have the home court. Bell City is not much bigger and can't hold 1000 fans but they have hosted before. When Leopold boys basketball played districts this past year at Scott County Central the place was packed and they turned people away. If they meet the criteria by the state then more power to them. Let them cash in on what the bigger schools make. Leopold has always had to travel so for once they get to play at home. I think NO team should have home court advantage after regular season games are over. From districs on should be neutral courts. Life isn't fair get over it and move on. GO Leopold!

-- Posted by goBIGblue on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 12:53 PM
  • You shouldn't do away with home court for districts but there should never be a home court afterwards.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 1:15 PM
  • Go Bernie Mules

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 1:40 PM
  • Bernie plays lesterville then Leopold plays Gideon the two winners play to see who goes to state

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 1:43 PM
  • I didn't hear Bernie complaining when they hosted 2 years ago... And they have less seating that Leopold easily.

-- Posted by abcd on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 6:05 PM
  • This is not Leopold's fault. It's their district's turn to host sectionals/quarterfinals. They won their district, therefore they are allowed to host. If anyone has a problem with this they should ONLY call MSHSAA because the gym at Leopold is very small. It's unlikely they can adequately accommodate everybody. But again, it's not their fault. The sites rotate every year and if I were a Leopold fan I'd be telling everybody to go kick rocks. Tough luck.

abcd-If I had 1 million dollars I'd bet you that Bernie's gym can hold probably twice as many people as Leopold's gym.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 8:14 PM
  • Abcd sir you're an idiot. Bernies gym is a lot bigger

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 8:45 PM

I am picking leopold,But that bernie lesterville winner will give them a game.Bernie seems to be playing better and lesterville has a middle blocker that is very salty!

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, Oct 31, 2013, at 9:32 PM
  • Bernie has been playing very good plus they have one of the best hitter's in the state

-- Posted by yaeger on Fri, Nov 1, 2013, at 7:11 AM
  • Did Bernie split up tickets to make it fair to all schools? No have any of these other small gyms?? No if Leopold wanted they could do like everyone else and fill every seat with Leopold fans. It's fair... Bernie cannot hold more and if so it's not by many.

-- Posted by abcd on Fri, Nov 1, 2013, at 7:49 AM
  • From my understanding each school got 115 tickets and have yoi not ever seen the bleacher section on the stage at bernie

-- Posted by yaeger on Fri, Nov 1, 2013, at 8:48 AM
  • It doesn't matter how many seats this gym has over that.The fact is it's Leopolds turn to host.This school has won 24 district titles and they have been passed over as host many many times.So its only fair that they host and reap the benefits that all other schools get when they have hosted.Each team got the exact same amount of tickets(115),so if you dont like the set up stay home so someone who didn't get tickets can watch the game.I know that there are fans of Leopold who go to every game & dont have kids that play the just want to watch,but they didnt get tickets.So everyone wont get to go,but this school deserves to host considering they've been passed over so many times.Im just glad state is at the Show Me Center,close to the house.Go Wildcats one game at a time.#NOM(P.S. Leopold has a pretty darn good middle & outside hitter as well.)

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Sat, Nov 2, 2013, at 12:39 AM
  • Sounds like the debate is heating up with the playoffs less than 24 hours away.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Nov 2, 2013, at 12:42 AM
  • First time in school history to be hosting sectionals &quaterfinals,they have won 24 district titled so thats 24 times they have been passed up.I know they switch it up every year,but Leopold wasnt even considered.Long rant made short,they deserve this.Go Leopold & dont stop till we have won it all.#NOM

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Sat, Nov 2, 2013, at 12:49 AM
  • Leopold is the prohibitive favorite, but regardless of what team wins, they are going to face an uphill battle at state against Winona.

With regards to Leopold's gym, it appears that they have handled it well. PetroPetty makes a good point. I'm sure lots of Leopold fans are upset that they don't have a ticket, but I think giving each school 115 schools knowing that was a good compromise. Leopold always brings their entire town out when the team is playing in any tournament championship. I haven't seen that kind of school spirit and support from any community around here save for the larger school rivalries between Notre Dame and Perryville. Leopold is known for its great volleyball tradition, and I'm proud that they are finally getting to host sectionals. Usually in the past when Leopold had their 10-year district run, sectionals would usually be held at Advance.

I think what others have to keep in mind, though, is that their concerns about seating, parking, and other accommodations are valid. People clearly know that to say it's going to be packed and loud is an understatement. You do have to take their concerns into consideration, especially Lesterville and Gideon that have to travel a long ways. Obviously, regardless of what is determined, it's not going to make everyone happy.

Best of luck to all the teams tomorrow not only at Leopold but to the other Southeast Missouri teams of Portageville, Woodland, Perryville, and Farmington!

-- Posted by The Legend on Sat, Nov 2, 2013, at 2:30 AM
  • Today is the day,lets go Wildcats.One game at a time.We will have the gym rockin for you ladies.

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Sat, Nov 2, 2013, at 1:37 PM
  • I am ok with it being @ Leopold. Bernie seats quite a few more than Leopold though.. Go Mules!!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sat, Nov 2, 2013, at 1:49 PM
  • I'm with a few of this other people. I think the district along with every game after that should be at a neutral site with enough seats. I can see how that the district at a neutral site could hurt attendance. The home court advantage is really not that big advantage in VB EXCEPT for Leopold. The gym is so small that the crowd is right on top of you. Leopold also has the best VB fans I've ever seen and their fans do intimidate the teenage girls. If I'm Leopold, I'm fighting to play there for that reason. There's no way they lose there I don't believe. Bernie hosted this and I don't believe they had to spread the tickets out and didn't turn anyone away. It seems much bigger. Home court for them or anywhere else is not anywhere near the advantage Leopold has. Sectionals should ALWAYS be at a neutral site. Just common sense MSHSAA! But again, they are not known to have much of that.

-- Posted by paulm on Sat, Nov 2, 2013, at 3:51 PM
  • Well the debate can end cause Leopold beat Lesterville in 3 sets to claim sectionals.As far as the crowd deal it seemed to work out fine.Lesteriville & Bernie had as many fans as Leopold.Plus as far as a advantage,Lesterville beat Bernie so Leopolds fans didn't even make a difference. Then it took 3 sets for Leopold to win it all.Once Bernie was out seats opened up for whoever, same thing once Gideon lost.I think they did a great job to make sure each team had the opprotunity to have 115 of there best fans at the game.It was planed out and excuted perfectly.Nuetral sites are fine as long as these smaller schools can make some kind of money to cover the expenses of traveling to these places.They don't have the funds like some schools do so it helps for them to host these games.All I know is you can't please all the people all the time.There will always be a complaint coming from somewhere.I bet someone complains about having it at Leopold or the refs were no good or the concesion etc.Always something but it is what it is so buck up bring your best or stay home.LOL love me some volleyball

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Sat, Nov 2, 2013, at 8:29 PM
  • Well we can ALL sleep better tonight. Leopold won sectionals in volleyball and all those fans got to see it. YAY!!

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sat, Nov 2, 2013, at 8:43 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: