Semoball

High School Volleyball Forum: High School Volleyball 2013-Who will be the top teams this year?

Posted by SEMOvbfan on Thu, Aug 15, 2013, at 9:34 AM:

Since practice and school has started wanted to see what thoughts were on the best teams this year?

Bernie

Advance

Cape ND

Perryville

Dexter

Lesterville

Leopold

Who do you pick?

Replies (8)

• Dexter and Notre Dame should be really good.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Aug 15, 2013, at 1:29 PM
  • I also look for Saxony Lutheran to be strong.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Aug 15, 2013, at 2:01 PM
  • Chaffee should be strong this year.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Thu, Aug 15, 2013, at 3:58 PM
  • Dexter will be loaded, they lost no one last year. ND always has a strong history. I expect PVille to be young but scrappy. Leopold has many returning starters. Advance and Bernie and St Vincent's lost several girls/starters to graduation. Saxony will be competitive this year too. New year new girls, new faces, new talent. Can't wait till the SEMO tournament to watch some great volleyball!

-- Posted by vballmom5 on Thu, Aug 15, 2013, at 7:58 PM

Saxony will be good this year.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Thu, Aug 15, 2013, at 8:27 PM
  • Saxony might be a sleeper to win a state title this season.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Aug 16, 2013, at 12:25 AM
  • I think the Saxony Lutheran hype may be a little too preconceived.

Puxico deserves recognition on this forum. They were the team that shocked many people last season when they were seeded fourth and upset top-seeded Saxony Lutheran in the Class 2 District 3 Tournament before defeating third-seeded Woodland for the district title. They then rolled over Twin Rivers in Sectionals to advance to the Elite Eight where their season came to an end at the hands of the then-defending Class 2 state champions St. Pius X of Festus. Their JV had an impressive season as well last year and won the SCAA Conference Tournament, so that needs to be taken into consideration. They don't ever get much recognition or news coverage, but they should be on everybody's radar this season.

I'm inclined to agree with Bloomfield's coach in the article by Dustin Ward when she said that Stoddard County will have yet again one of the toughest conferences around. I expect Advance to have their rebuilding season this year. Bernie lost a lot to graduation but keep in mind that they have one of the best coaches in the area in Erin Hoffman. If she's able to transform the program there like she did at Bell City, then the Lady Mules will be established as a perennial powerhouse.

As far as teams outside the Semoball coverage area, I would say that Winona, Eminence, Bismarck, Lesterville, and Valle Catholic are the teams to watch, and they are all in Class 1.

-- Posted by The Legend on Fri, Aug 16, 2013, at 2:19 AM
  • Sikeston JV team will be coming up through the ranks in the next year or so, their varsity is a force to be reckoned with also.

-- Posted by causeisaidso on Wed, Sep 4, 2013, at 11:38 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: