Semoball

High School Volleyball Forum: Class 1 Sectional @ Lesterville

Posted by SEMOvbfan on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 9:48 AM:

Gideon vs Valle

Advance vs Lesterville

Valle beats Gideon in 2

Advance beats Lesterville in 3

Valle beats Advance in 2

Thoughts? I think this is the hardest sectional in Class 1 by far. You have 3 really good teams that if they were in a different sectional would win. The state year in and year out has a hard decision keeping all these teams in the same sectional. I really think it depends on who's on Saturday that will advance. I've watch all 4 teams play at different times and I have to say it will be a battle to advance to state.

Replies (25)

Advance wins

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 9:55 AM
  • I watched Valle play at districts and they're on top of their game. If they show up on Saturday ready to play I'm thinking they win.

-- Posted by justafan573 on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 11:24 AM
  • Valle has a really, really good team and will win this sectional

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 11:54 AM
  • Well Coach Fisher always has her kids ready to play. They are 8-10 deep and play some of the best defense that you will see. Advance better not look past Lesterville or they will be going home early. I don't think that there is a team in this sectional that beats Valle. It's a good thing for Valle that MSHSAA dropped them to class 1 because they couldn't win there class 2 district.

-- Posted by mj23 on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 2:29 PM
  • I'm pretty sure they dropped because of enrollment. And you aren't saying anything about St. Pius dropping down a class? No class 2 school in this area could beat Pius, especially in class 1 or 2. Must be because they were winning too much and other schools couldn't handle it.

-- Posted by justafan573 on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 2:41 PM
  • I really like Valle Catholic's chances in Class 1. Be interesting to see if anyone can beat New Haven.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 3:02 PM
  • This is a tough sectional! I think Valle beats Gideon in 2, I think Advance beats Lesterville in 2 as well. I think the Valle/Advance matchup could be a thriller if both teams come to play, and I think if Advance leaves it all on the court they (for full disclosure-I'm an Advance mom) could beat Valle. We played them for the championship in the Perryville tournament and we lost in two sets 25-23, 25-23. With that said, both teams had played a GRUELING 12 sets of volleyball to make it to the championship game and both were visibly worn out. I expect this matchup to be a bit of a different game because both teams should be much less tired. As long as both teams play their best ball, I expect it to be a great game that could go either way. Looking forward to a couple of great games on Saturday!

-- Posted by gym_mama on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 3:28 PM
  • I think the the Advance-Lesterville game could be one for the ages.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 4:02 PM
  • I've seen all four teams play this year. Valle Catholic will annihilate Gideon and Advance should win over Lesterville. Lesterville is well coached and has the home court advantage but Advance is stronger offensively and defensively, granted one of their best players is out now. Advance/Valle Catholic could go any way. They played each other in the championship of the Perryville Tournament and it was 25-23 both sets. Valle Catholic has the edge but it really could go any way. Advance's block was really solid last night against Bernie, too.

-- Posted by The Legend on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 6:15 PM
  • I know Valle beat Advance in very close sets earlier this year.Did the two teams play any other similar teams like St Vincent? Valle beat them 3 times now and this last game I heard was really a good game. Just wondering if they both played the same teams in their regular season.

-- Posted by cruzin on Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 10:22 PM
  • Advance played St. Vincent a week ago and lost in three close sets (24-26, 25-21, 21-25). Some good teams that Advance has beaten this season are Saxony Lutheran (twice), Bernie (3/4), Dexter (1/3), Bloomfield (2/3), and Bismarck (once).

Valle Catholic does play a tougher schedule, in my opinion. I'd argue that the MAAA Conference is equally as strong as the SCAA, granted the MAAA is composed of 12 teams vs. eight teams in the SCAA. That notwithstanding, Valle's only three losses this season have come to Saxony Lutheran, Troy Buchanan, and Farmington.

Records heading into sectionals:

Advance: 27-8-2 (.757)

Gideon: 25-6-2 (.788)

Lesterville: 24-7-2 (.758)

Valle Catholic: 30-3-1 (.897)

Gideon plays a very weak schedule, given their location in the Bootheel where the teams are on a whole 'nother level compared to the other teams.

-- Posted by The Legend on Thu, Oct 20, 2016, at 12:18 AM
  • Yes, we (Advance) are without one of our normal starting middle hitters who is a force at the net, but the girls playing for her really stepped up to the challenge against Bernie Tuesday, and I'm confident they'll do the same Saturday! Our 3 set loss to St. Vincent was the night she got injured, she was injured about 10 points into the 3rd set, and the girls had about an 8 point come apart right after she went down, but rallied back after being down 21-13 to finish the set 25-21. I won't take anything away from Lesterville or Valle, but I think we can hang with both of them if we block and pass the ball well. Can't wait for Saturday!!

-- Posted by gym_mama on Thu, Oct 20, 2016, at 12:00 PM
  • That's awful they lost a main player. Was she the go to hitter for Advance? Is she done for the year if they advance to state?

Does Advance have height? Really can't find any info on this team if you didn't watch them play this year. I don't see roster/stats on maxpreps like the other 3 teams have done.

-- Posted by SEMOvbfan on Thu, Oct 20, 2016, at 1:40 PM
  • It was tough to watch her go down, and no, she will not be able to play even if we make it to state. :-( She is only a freshman, but she's tough! She and one other girl are our tallest players at 5'9". She was not THE go to hitter, but we used her a lot, very consistent, not many errors, and most of her quicks were kills. We actually run a pretty good offense and move the ball around a lot between our two outside hitters and our two middles. Roz, the girl who's injured was a solid blocker and honestly, just pretty solid all the way around.

We do not have a ton of height, our other middle is probably pushing 5'8", one OH is around 5'7", and the other is about 5'6", but both our OH can jump out the gym, and see the court well. I think our coach probably likes that there isn't a lot of info out there on us! Lol!

-- Posted by gym_mama on Thu, Oct 20, 2016, at 4:44 PM
  • Valle probally has less height than Advance does. These two teams I hear are very similar. They played each other and they were very close games. If I can get off work, I think I am headed to Lesterville on Saturday. Sounds like some good volleyball!

-- Posted by cruzin on Thu, Oct 20, 2016, at 5:45 PM
  • This will probably be one of the most exciting Class 1 volleyball sectionals in a long time. I agree with Gym_Mama about Advance's freshman. I've seen her play and she is really good, but the whole Advance team is full of depth and talented players. Can't look past Lesterville, though. Betsy Middleton is probably one of the best volleyball coaches in Southeast Missouri and she knows her stuff when it comes to volleyball. She always manages to keep Lesterville as a Class 1 powerhouse and I think they're the smallest school out of the four competing. It's worth noting that Lesterville swept Farmington in two sets earlier in the season at the Dig for Life Challenge, and Valle Catholic's most recent loss was to Farmington for the championship of the MAAA Conference Tournament.

I really feel it could go anyway between Advance, Lesterville, and Valle Catholic. Coaches Erin Hoffman, Betsy Middleton, and Nancy Fischer are volleyball LEGENDS :).

-- Posted by The Legend on Fri, Oct 21, 2016, at 12:21 AM
  • That really sticks for the kid to be hurt. At least she's a freshman and not a senior. That would really be awful.

I think this sectional is the hardest in Class 1 hands down. You have 3 teams here and 2 will go home sad. Those 2 teams could probably compete for a state title if they were in another sectional. Remember it's high school girls volleyball so anything can happen.

I agree you have some great coaches in this sectional and should be a fun time.

-- Posted by SEMOvbfan on Fri, Oct 21, 2016, at 8:46 AM
  • Does anyone know if these games will be broadcasted anywhere?

-- Posted by justafan573 on Sat, Oct 22, 2016, at 9:07 AM

98.5- J98 the boot!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sat, Oct 22, 2016, at 10:29 AM
  • Awesome, thank you!

-- Posted by justafan573 on Sat, Oct 22, 2016, at 11:12 AM
  • Lesterville defeated Advance 23-25, 25-16, 25-23.

-- Posted by atm7819 on Sat, Oct 22, 2016, at 6:29 PM
  • Another great year for our Class 1 volleyball teams in Southeast Missouri. Congratulations to Valle Catholic and we'll be rooting for you all at state next weekend. The Warriors will be joining Northland Christian (who toppled defending state champion Santa Fe in its sectional), Eminence, and New Haven at the Class 1 Final Four. And shoutout to all of our area Class 1 top teams: Advance, Bismarck, Bernie, Lesterville, St. Vincent, Valle Catholic for having banner years and finishing at or above 20 wins this season (minus St. Vincent, which finished 16-21-1 but played a really tough schedule).

Our Class 2 teams (Bloomfield and Twin Rivers) both fell in their first-round sectionals to the St. Louis-area teams. Not surprisingly, St. Pius X (Festus) advanced to state from here, and the Lady Lancers are a heavy favorite to win the title, but St. Paul Lutheran (Concordia), Hermann, and Liberty (Mountain View) will be looking to put a stop to that.

In Class 3, Dexter swept Rosati-Kain pretty easily (25-22, 25-7) in its sectional before dropping what sounds like a really exciting three-set game to Lutheran South (25-22, 9-25, 15-25). The Lancers will be joining Pleasant Hill, St. Francis Borgia, and Logan-Rogersville at the state tournament next weekend.

In Class 4, Farmington was thrashed by St. Joseph's Academy (25-12, 25-12) in its sectional. The Angels then lost in three sets to five-time defending Class 4 state champion Lafayette (Wildwood). The Lancers will be making a bid for their sixth state title facing St. Teresa's Academy, Francis Howell, and Ozark.

-- Posted by The Legend on Sun, Oct 23, 2016, at 1:04 AM
  • Valle undefeated today in pool play, championship 1030 Saturday morning vs. Northland Christian I believe.

-- Posted by BBUBET on Fri, Oct 28, 2016, at 8:02 PM
  • Yes, Valle Catholic and St. Pius X both went 6-0 in pool play to secure their bids to play for the state titles in Class 1 and Class 2. The Warriors will face Northland Christian and the Lancers will face Hermann. Valle was down 21-24 in the first set against Eminence and came back and won 27-25. Very impressive and demonstrates their team's resiliency and overall strength. As expected, no one could handle St. Pius X. The Otec girl is a real spectacle from what I hear.

-- Posted by The Legend on Fri, Oct 28, 2016, at 9:11 PM
  • CLASS 1

Valle Catholic def. Northland Christian 25-17, 25-21

Eminence def. New Haven 25-19, 25-21

Valle Catholic def. New Haven 25-17, 25-12

Northland Christian def. Eminence 25-17, 25-21

Valle Catholic def. Eminence 27-25, 26-24

Northland Christian def. New Haven 25-14, 25-14

CLASS 2

St. Pius X (Festus) def. St. Paul Lutheran (Concordia) 25-9, 25-11

Hermann splits Liberty (Mountain View) 25-21, 27-29

St. Pius X (Festus) def. Liberty (Mountain View) 25-12, 25-13