Semoball

High School Football Forum: Strength of schedule means a lot.

Posted by webbpaspilot on Thu, Nov 19, 2015, at 9:00 PM:

I'd say Webb's schedule says a lot. Check out this resume:

Har-Ber (Springdale, AR) (36-26), (1st Class 7A Arkansas)

Carthage (MO) (31-0), (5th Class 5)

Harrisonville (MO) (45-7), (3rd Class 4)

Carl Junction (MO) (14-7), (5th Class 4)

West Plains (MO) (45-12), (6th Class 4)

Nixa (MO) (31-16), (12th Class 5)

Rockhurst (Kansas City, MO) (49-20), (13th Class 6)

Neosho (MO) (35-7), (15th Class 5)

Republic (MO) (36-18), (17th Class 5)

Replies (24)

• Must be From The Stands twin brother

-- Posted by BBUBET on Thu, Nov 19, 2015, at 9:03 PM
  • Must be From The Stands twin brother

-- Posted by BBUBET on Thu, Nov 19, 2015, at 9:03 PM
  • Now your just braggin. Tell Webbpa I'll see you guys over thanksgiving unless Cape pulls a major upset. Looking forward to seeing you 2.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Thu, Nov 19, 2015, at 9:04 PM
  • @bleed: Sounds like a great football program.

-- Posted by Nada on Thu, Nov 19, 2015, at 9:07 PM
  • @ FTS

sounds like you're running out of things to say.

-- Posted by BBUBET on Thu, Nov 19, 2015, at 9:10 PM
  • @bleed: Yet you feel compelled to mention my forum name four times this evening. Interesting.

Did your life partner leave you? Sorry, I'm not in to dudes. You'll have to find someone else to share stories of your days of JV glory playing against Podunk High.

Webb City plays a great schedule, and they're a great team.

-- Posted by Nada on Thu, Nov 19, 2015, at 9:23 PM
  • Gotta admit thats quite a schedule, cant get any tougher than that. They deserve their national accolades.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Nov 19, 2015, at 11:19 PM
  • FTS I have to call you out on calling schools Podunk. Come on now be nice! Public education institutions are the backbone of this country.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 8:23 AM
  • Definitely speaks volumes for them. But I think also speaks volumes for the area. 5 of those opponents are within an hour drive of Webb City (3 within 25 miles).

But what has always amazed me about Webb City is how football is the only sport they seem to excel in. Wrestling is another sport SW MO seems to excel in, but not at Webb. Soccer leaves little to be desired, but understandably so. Basketball they might have a good year here or there but mostly they don't make it out of their district. Baseball they do fairly well in, but over the past 7 yrs they've only made one deep run in the playoffs. Track they finished 5th last year but the next best was 18th.

To me, I'm pretty sure their football players have a tremendous work ethic (no doubting that at all), but it amazes me it doesn't necessarily translate over to success within the other male sports there. I would love to hear from the Webbies on this. Not trying to knock the kids or school at all, just curious as to why very little success at the other sports when obviously you have very good, tough-minded athletes there?

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 9:11 AM
  • @heshoots: I didn't want to call a school out by name. I'll look for a different descriptive noun next time.

-- Posted by Nada on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 9:16 AM
  • What are the other so called sports that you speak of? Not sure Webb City plays any other sport. Seriously though. We did have a state champion swimmer this past week. Girls softball is usually good. If you talk wrestling you must talk about Seneca and Neosho. I think they recruit. Ha ha.

-- Posted by Stealth01 on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 1:32 PM
  • @ heshoots is this DD? are you going to cape tommorrow?

-- Posted by webbpaspilot on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 1:42 PM
  • WC athletics have still seen success in other sports other than football. Unfortunately, many of the other sports have fallen victim to the success of the football team. Weights normally starts in June/July which rolls into camp, two-a-days, and the season. We have been fortunate enough to be playing late in November seemingly every year. As a former WC athlete I know the toll that takes on the body and mind of a 5-6 month season. WC has a proud tradition that expects titles which is a lot of pressure on a young man. Winning a title creates this type of high that is short lived. You then roll straight into basketball/ wrestling on no rest with little left in the tank. They still want to win but are grateful the expectations aren't as high and they can just enjoy playing the game. Same goes for baseball which did see great success but our head coach took a college head coaching position and moved up a class.

The athletes are good and do have a great work ethic but we are still a class 4 school where the majority of our athletes are multiple sport athletes and do tend to wear down. That matched with the sense of accomplishment with a ring on your finger and playing in a conference full of great talent that would like nothing more than to beat WC makes for a tough time in these other sports.

-- Posted by CrashDavis-31 on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 5:24 PM
  • So how many if the players on webb actually live in webb city?

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 5:44 PM
  • Since winning their first football title, I believe they have won in basketball, baseball, softball, and a few wrestlers have won individual titles as well as swimming with a few individuals. Only titles before the first football title were 2 wrestling individual titles i believe. I think the weight program is the reason these other sports have had success. Last time i heard, to play any sport at WC you have to go through summer weight and conditioning program.

-- Posted by swmocardfan on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 7:00 PM
  • Simple...I think it may be a little unfair to compare other sports at WC or anwhere against to the success of the WC football program. There aren't very many programs (football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, etc) that have had the success that Webb's football program has. That's a pretty tall order to compete with.

-- Posted by swmocardfan on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 7:18 PM
  • Murphdogg.... pretty sure they all live in Webb if they play for Webb! ;) The assumption that they must "recruit" gets so old.

-- Posted by LHSTigerFan on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 8:51 PM
  • I think Murph has a legit and simple question. Cape county has a population of about 77,000. Roughly 38,000 of those residents are in the Cape city limits. That leaves 39,000 in the rest of Cape county.

Most of those remaining would be in the Jackson school district. Jackson is a town of about 14,000 residents.

Jackson is class 5. Cape is class 4. Interesting.

Maybe not all Webb kids live in the city limits!!

For LHSTigerfan. Get over yourself!! You're assumptions about how good you are is why I would love to see the runs of both Lamar and Webb end by the teams of SEMO!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 9:44 PM
  • Seriously Indianpride.... if I was the only one who "assumed" (and yes I know what that spells)I will apologize but somehow I doubt I was. I challenge you to go thru all my posts and show me one other where I was anything but respectful. "Assumptions how good you are"....LOL Nope, I assumed they were talking recruiting, that was it. I certainly would never wish a team's run to end...these are high school kids you are talking about. Are you that bitter? :(

-- Posted by LHSTigerFan on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 10:17 PM
  • Not bitter. Just hope a SEMO teams season doesn't end!! See what I did there??

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 10:22 PM
  • But seriously. I am having a bad night!! Duke won and I am a UK fan. I do hope however that Lamar and Malden meet and Malden wins. I am a SEMO fan after all!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 10:25 PM
  • I understand that!! We always cheer for whoever is left in our part of the state as well no matter what the sport! The Lamar/Malden game was a good one last year and know it would be again! Hope we both make it that far!

-- Posted by LHSTigerFan on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 10:41 PM
  • Pilot you caught me. I won't be making it tomorrow so Webb better win. because I'm planning on seeing you guys at the Dome. Go Webb!!!!!!!!!1

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 11:16 PM
  • I'm not gonna start its on thread for this but...........

Good to see there's still Public schools out there that know how to "man-up" rather than cry afoul like so many others. Out of the final 4 in each class this yr, 19 out of 24 are Public schools. Each class only has 1 Private rep. remaining, other than C2.

In boys soccer this fall, 3 out of the 4 champions are Public school. Yes I saw volleyball (because of course Bogey had to post it). Just found it interesting he's yet to post these numbers I just did. Guess it didn't fit his propaganda.

Good to see some in Missouri aren't falling victim to the "wussification" of America.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Sat, Nov 21, 2015, at 6:48 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: