Semoball

High School Football Forum: Touchdown Top 10 (Final Edition)

Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 12, 2015, at 11:50 PM:

As I sit here watching a great NCAA championship game (and also watching John Burroughs's grad Ezekiel Elliot pluck the Ducks), it seemed like a good time to publish the long overdue final edition of the Touchdown Top 10 for the 2014 season. I really want to apologize for that, but as the old saying does, it's better late than never!

In many ways, it was an historic season for Semo high school football. One state championship, one runner-up, one semi-final appearance, and two quarterfinal appearances ain't too shabby!

I want to thank everyone for reading and posting your thoughts on the TT10 all season. I also want to thank my fellow-pollsters BuckMajor and Cheesehead for their hard work all season. I'm already excited for the 2015 season!

What did we look for in compiling this final rankings? How teams finished the season was a big factor, as was how deep a playoff run they made. As always, we considered records, SOS, conference titles, big wins and losses, head-to-head wins, etc. We tried to balance all these things together to come up with a reasonable final Top 10. Of course, the Touchdown Top 10 is NOT an official Semoball poll; it simply reflects our best judgment.

Let me also say that Cheesehead, BuckMajor, and I are also working on a basketball poll we are calling the Slam Dunk Top 10. The first edition should be out soon, so keep an eye out for that!

Now on to the final Touchdown Top 10:

1. Valle Catholic (15-0): Coach Judd Naegar and his Warriors claimed their 13th state football championship, a record they share with Webb City. They were undefeated and unchallenged on the way to their 2nd straight Class 1 championship. They also claimed yet another I-55 Conference crown, yet another district championship, and have won 30 games in a row. Now the crowning achievement: being declared the best team in Semo by the Touchdown Top 10! (That last statement was made with tongue firmly in cheek.) But seriously, congratulations to Valle on yet another great season!

2. Cape Central (12-3): The best season in Tigers history ended with a loss in the Class 4 Show-Me Bowl to Webb City. But Coach Nathan Norman's squad gave the Cardinals their toughest game of the season. Along the way, Cape Central defeated their hated arch-rival Jackson, claimed their first SEMO North conference title in many years, and their second straight district championship. For some strange reason, the Tigers finished 3rd in the final state poll, but good enough for 2nd in the Touchdown Top 10!

3. Jackson (11-2): Late season injuries derailed what looked to be a very promising season for the Indians. Their only two losses were to arch-foe Cape Central and then in the Class 5 quarterfinals to Ladue. Their victories included two thrilling come-from-behind wins in the district semi-finals and championship as Coach Brent Eckley's tribe claimed their 2nd straight district crown. Senior QB (and Redhawks commit) Dante Vandeven won the Carr Trophy and his teammate Preston Hobeck was named the best defensive player in Semo. Jackson was ranked #10 in Class 5 in the final state poll.

4. Malden (13-1): Coach Joel Wyatt led the Green Wave to their best season in school history, demolishing many school records. The Green Wave (or as I nicknamed them, the Tidal Wave) rolled over every team they faced, going 13-0, winning the Semo South Conference Championship, and their first district crown in 10 years, dethroning their arch-enemies Caruthersville big time. Sadly, it all came to an end with a home loss in the Class 2 semi-finals to eventual state champion Lamar 28-2. Malden finished #4 in the final Class 2 poll.

5. Park Hills Central (12-1): Coach Kory Schweiss's Rebels have only lost two games in the last two seasons, but they both came in the Class 3 quarterfinals to John Burroughs. The Bombers shelled the Rebels once again this year, but that doesn't diminish yet another great season at PHC. They won their 2nd straight MAFC White conference title and their 2nd straight district crown too, including big wins over their arch-enemies Ste. Genevieve and Farmington. PHC finished #6 in the final Class 3 poll.

6. Sikeston (6-5): You have to take your hat off to Hall of Fame coach Kent Gibbs. It takes a lot of courage to totally re-invent your offense mid-way through the season, but that's what they did, changing from their traditional spread to a double-tight, double-wing scheme. But it paid big dividends, as the Bulldogs salvaged their season, only to see it end in the Class 4 district semi-finals with a lop-sided loss to their rivals Cape Central. Nonetheless, Sikeston finished with two 1000 yard rushers in junior RBs Victwon Riley and Earnest Fobbs, Jr. The young Bulldogs of 2014 should be back to their championship form in 2015!

6. Caruthersville (7-5): First year head coach Jimmy Jackson knew 2014 would be something of a re-building year for his young Tigers. But they still managed a very respectable record, claimed a share of the SEMO Central conference title (along with NMCC and Dexter), and advanced to the Class 2, District 1 championship before falling to Malden. Caruthersville will look forward to bigger and better things in 2015!

7. Kennett (6-6): Second year head coach Aaron Pixley has breathed new life into the long dormant Indians football program. But the season started out in disastrous form as for the second year in a row, Kennett lost its starting QB at the start of the season to injury. The Indians struggled through the first half of the season, but the insertion of Edward Wilson from RB to QB at mid-season sparked an incredible run for Kennett. After starting 2-5, they won four games in a row, including an upset of Ste. Genevieve in the Class 3, District 1 quarterfinals before before losing in the district championship to Park Hills Central. With the return of QB Akeem Nelson from injury, along with Wilson, the Indians will have quite a 1-2 punch in 2015!

9. Ste. Genevieve (6-5): Coach Bob Stolzer entered the final season of his Hall of Fame career with a young, injury-riddled team. But the Dragons still managed to fly to a winning record before their season ended with a first round upset in districts to Kennett. But look out for Ste. Gen in 2015 as the Dragons will once again look to breath fire!

10. Poplar Bluff (5-5): An early-season injury to star QB Kameron Misner cost him 3 games and the Mules went winless during that stretch. A .500 record and a lop-sided loss at Rockwood Summit in the first round of the Class 5, District 1 tournament land Poplar Bluff at the bottom of the Touchdown Top 10. One bright spot was senior RB Bi Nguwen eclipsing the 3000-yard mark and their first victory over Sikeston in six years. Misner will return for his senior season as Coach Mark Barousse will look for better things in 2015.

That's it for now folks! Share your comments with us below and let us know what you think. Remember to look for the first edition edition of the Slam Dunk Top 10 later this week!

For Cheesehead and BuckMajor, I am merely your humble scribe, Preacher Man Fan. Touchdown Top 10 will return this fall as we look forward to another great season of high school football in 2015 under the Friday night lights!

Replies (30)

• Great job as usual! I'm already looking forward to the 2015 season!

-- Posted by mojo3 on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 11:30 AM
  • No comment on putting a class 1 football team as #1 in semo area.

Although now that i think about it, i guess i did just comment.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 1:31 PM
  • Ciri, would you have the same objection to putting SCC first in a basketball poll, say, when Otto was playing for them?

I am convinced Valle can play with anyone in Semo, esp. this season.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 1:56 PM
  • No, because they actually beat sikeston and ND, which are class 4 schools. If Valle woodve beat a few class 4 or 5 football teams then i'd have no problem with it. Cape and Jaxon woodve had no problems with valle this year. No shame in that but class 4 and 5 teams with their talent level just have more weapons. Being #3 in semo is mighty good for a class 1 team, altho i think malden could also beat em. A humble opinion.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 3:14 PM
  • Thanx for all the work u did on the list, looks great, i'd only change the #1 to a #3 or 4

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 3:17 PM
  • Ciri, I understand about your point about Class 1 vs. Class 4 and 5, but to us Valle is the exception to the rule. We all thought it was pretty hard to keep an undefeated state champion out of the top spot.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 3:42 PM
  • Just caught the numbering mistake above. Caruthersville is actually #7 and Kennett is #8. Sorry about that!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 3:47 PM
  • For sentimental reasons, i see ur point!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Jan 13, 2015, at 4:37 PM
  • Curious Ciri, do you think Malden could beat Cape or Jackson?

-- Posted by Squeak on Wed, Jan 14, 2015, at 8:18 AM
  • In my opinion, no. I think malden-valle would be a tossup, but both would lose to cape or jax by a couple tds.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Jan 14, 2015, at 9:28 AM
  • valle freshman beat jackson's this year. i know that means nothing but valle can still play with big schools, look at the past and actually watch some film over valle before you shoot them down because of class.

-- Posted by Blitz on Wed, Jan 14, 2015, at 11:09 AM
  • Valle would beat Jackson and Malden. Cape would win by a couple touchdowns. JMO

-- Posted by BBUBET on Wed, Jan 14, 2015, at 11:11 AM
  • Sure would be interesting to see valle play an excellent class 4 or 5 team just to see who's right in their assessment. Its amazing what they do with such a tiny school enrollment.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Jan 14, 2015, at 11:24 AM
  • Good Top 10. Best all year.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Thu, Jan 15, 2015, at 11:27 AM
  • Agreed, the BBQ boys did their homework!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Jan 15, 2015, at 12:31 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 15, 2015, at 12:59 PM
  • Thanks Boogin and Ciri!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 15, 2015, at 2:28 PM
  • Bumping this thread back to the top to hopefully generate a little more discussion.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 15, 2015, at 8:41 PM

2016 and 2017

Valle vs Lamar It ain't a class 4 or 5 team but it should be interesting. You also get that east side vs west side thing.

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 9:00 AM

Maybe Valle could be invited to a jamboree that features Class 4 & up schools to test their mettle. I agree that year in and year out Valle football is the best that this part of the state has to offer.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 9:16 AM
  • Valles jamboree is park hills class 3, ste gen class 3, desoto class 4

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 9:39 AM
  • I highly disagree that Cape gave Webb their best game of the season. I would put Carthage, Rockhurst, Willard, Kearney way, way ahead of Cape. They had 1 decent quarter against Webb but from then on, it was all Webb City. The teams I mentioned kept fighting to the bitter in. Once the second quarter was over against Cape, Webb was in firm control and there was no danger in letting that lead escape them.

-- Posted by high school fan on Sat, Jan 17, 2015, at 1:44 PM
  • Opinions differ, high school fan.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Jan 17, 2015, at 2:18 PM
  • There is a list of semoball schools listed under high school. If your going to include schools outside of semoball schools shouldn't webb city be 1st?

-- Posted by Hatershate on Sun, Jan 18, 2015, at 6:25 PM
  • Hatershate, this is not a statewide list nor did we limit it to just Semoball schools. The three of us decided that since Farmington is in the Semo North, we would include them as our northern border as to what constitutes Southeast Missouri. That would also include Ste. Genevieve, Valle Catholic, Park Hills Central, and Fredericktown plus the Semoball schools that have football.

However, there is no doubt that Webb City is the best team in Missouri and one of the best in the nation. I believe they finished ranked #9 in the country.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 18, 2015, at 6:56 PM
  • Preach, Buck, & Cheese.....thx for the work you guys put into these season long rankings. It generates good spirited debate and you guys consistently handle the occassional criticism of your rankings by taking the high road. Job well done.

As far your final rankings, I am glad to see my Warriors on top but understand why it gripes some others that can't get past the fact they are Class 1.

But the fact is that Valle's record included 5 wins against Class 3 teams, all of which had winning records individualy and a combined record of 28-17.....take out the Valle losses and those Class 3 teams were 28-12.

They also beat a very good Class 1 Westran team twice this season....and any good coach will tell you that isn't easy when you're playing a team that you have a competitive history with.

To boot, none of their games have even been close. All were won in dominant fashion.

Yeah, I'm biased, but I agree with you that Valle has done more than enough to deserve the end-of-year top spot regardless what class they are. That isn't a knock against Cape, Jacks, or the Wave of '14. They were very good, but to earn the top spot you have to finish.

-- Posted by QuitCryin&PlayBall on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 12:05 PM
  • QuitCrying&PlayBall, thanks for the positive feedback. We enjoyed it and glad you did to. Congrats to your Warriors!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 12:28 PM
  • QuitCrying,I only counted 3 class 3 teams Valle played this year

-- Posted by hb1025 on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 12:42 PM

Thanks QCPB, appreciate the compliments and feedback!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 12:47 PM

Thanks QCPB, appreciate the compliments and feedback!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 12:47 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: