Semoball

High School Football Forum: Webb storms out to a 27-14 half time lead

Posted by wcstl3001 on Sat, Nov 29, 2014, at 12:15 PM:

Cape tried their best but it wasn't in the CARDS today. Go Webb !!

Replies (14)

• Man you really have nothing else better to do? Everyone knows the score.

-- Posted by bench warmer on Sat, Nov 29, 2014, at 12:18 PM
  • Obviously Cape's head coach is doing an amazing job but hes gonna be losing some sleep over not punting, not letting the clock run down before punting on the next drive and not sitting on it when you were in a tailspin at the end of the half. He had them ready to go though and they didn't quit.

-- Posted by AllStateBasketWeaver on Sat, Nov 29, 2014, at 5:19 PM
  • I didn't say anything at the time but the giddy Webb City bragging during/after the Show Me Bowl left me a little queasy.

Let's call a spade a spade. For whatever reason, a program like Webb enjoys a size, speed and talent advantage over their opposition. I don't know enough about their program to say why, but it's not a debate. The scores speak for themselves.

Either A) Players transfer schools from nearby to play there, B) Webb City's kids are genetically and psychologically superior from birth, or C) Webb is the luckiest program in history, to just happen to have larger/faster kids born in their school district for decades on end.

No matter how hard kids work on football from the time they're toddlers, you can't turn a slow kid into a track star, and you can't turn a 5'5" beanpole into a 300 lb lineman.

The idea that you can win every playoff/championship game 50 to 0 because of your "heart" and good coaching is laughable.

Look at a program like Herculaneum -- Herky kids are obsessed with football. They lift weights from 5th grade upward and dream of the day when they can put on the uniform. They also have an above-average coach. If tradition and guts were the secret to winning 5 state championships in a row by 50 points each, Herky would win the 2A trophy every season, but they usually bow out in the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs. Their tradition and hard work gives them a winning record, but not a crushing win in every single game.

Now if WC folks want to take credit for building a program that attracts great talent, fine. But this business about "we beat Bishop Gorman by 75 points because we care" is insane. It feels like people are lying to themselves about why their hometown team is winning.

It's disrespectful to the other schools who care just as much but have less of an athletic advantage. Sure, there are programs like Perryville where nobody gives a rat's a** and kids don't commit to football, but for every Perryville there's a Herky or Cape -- a program who cares just as much as Valle or Webb City but has almost no chance to beat those schools (respectively) due to an overwhelming athletic disadvantage.

If you're Andre the Giant, fine, but don't pretend to be Rudy.

-- Posted by Thegridirongeek on Sun, Dec 28, 2014, at 12:02 AM
  • -- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Dec 28, 2014, at 12:26 AM
  • -- Posted by Thegridirongeek on Sun, Dec 28, 2014, at 12:55 AM
  • It's A gridiron. Work with a guy that's from Webb, he played high school fb. Said they move in from all over.

-- Posted by ataboy on Sun, Dec 28, 2014, at 10:48 AM
  • Not all posts that had a Webb name are from Webb.

-- Posted by ataboy on Sun, Dec 28, 2014, at 12:41 PM
  • Is central any different? They have move in's! The problem was Webb shut down 1 with a constant double team and no one on central could/would step up and take charge!

-- Posted by Hatershate on Sun, Dec 28, 2014, at 7:12 PM
  • If kids moved in in droves, Webb would likely not stay a class 4 school. I do know there are families that have moved here from other places. If the kids are genetically superior, then Webb would be dominant in other sports besides football. They compete well in many other sports, but not with anywhere near the dominance seen in football. We are very lucky to have a terrific coaching staff and a community that is very supportive. I believe that winning is about 50% physical preparation and 50% mental preparation/attitude. I know our kids know they're going win every game they play and they are completely devastated with a loss. Also the vast majority of teams we play seem to hope to keep the game competitive and appear to be defeated before the game even starts.

-- Posted by csnandy on Sun, Dec 28, 2014, at 10:28 PM
  • Hater, I agree about the schemes. Webb's running game produces more numerical advantages than Cape's does. But that doesn't account for having an obvious advantage in talent year after year.

Csn, we're not talking about kids moving in droves when 5 or 10 outstanding athletes can make all the difference.

Coaching and fan support are undoubtedly a big deal, but I'd like to see WC switch jerseys with their opponents and see if the playbook and fan support could overcome the massive talent gap.

-- Posted by Thegridirongeek on Mon, Dec 29, 2014, at 1:11 AM
  • I have a hard time with the assumption that Webb's players are significantly more talented than others when they don't receive significantly more scholarship offers and they all play other sports in which a significant talent gap would be apparent with like results.

-- Posted by csnandy on Mon, Dec 29, 2014, at 6:38 PM

I would love to see Webb City (vs) Mayfield, KY.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 12:06 PM

There will come a time when Webb City will be 5-5 or 4-6. Like I've said before, along with many other good people, teams have GREAT UP AND DOWN YEARS on any level.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 12:08 PM
  • Nandy,

Watch them play. They have an athletic advantage. As for not being great at other sports, I think it proves the point. If WC's kids were just naturally bigger and faster than everyone else, then they'd have the same overwhelming advantage in several other sports also.

-- Posted by Thegridirongeek on Sun, Jan 4, 2015, at 6:17 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: