Semoball

High School Football Forum: Conference standings

Posted by Biggy on Sat, Aug 9, 2014, at 11:31 PM:

Any predictions on how the conferences finish.

All 6 in SEMO.

MAFC blue, white, and red

Semo small, middle, large

Heck, I don't even know the names of the conferences anymore.

Replies (36)

• Ok, I'll get the ball rolling. Here are my predictions:

SEMO North Conference: 1. Jackson 2. Cape Central 3. Poplar Bluff 4. Sikeston 5. Farmington.

SEMO Central Conference: 1. Dexter 2. Caruthersville 3. Kennett 4. NMCC 5. Charleston.

SEMO South Conference: 1. Malden 2. Scott City 3. Portageville 4. Hayti 5. East Prairie 6. Chaffee.

I have no idea about the MAFC other than to predict Valle Catholic and Park Hills Central will win their respective conferences.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 1:27 PM

SEMO North Conference: 1. Jackson 2. Cape Central 3. Poplar Bluff 4. Farmington 5. Sikeston

SEMO Central Conference: 1. Caruthersville 2. Dexter 3. NMCC 4. Kennett 5. Charleston.

SEMO South Conference: 1. Malden 2. Portageville 3. Hayti 4. Scott City 5. East Prairie 6. Chaffee.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 1:32 PM
  • How did I know we would differ on the SEMO Central standings, Cheesehead? Lol. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks when we visit Caruthersville.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 1:42 PM

Both teams have some tough early games prior to the game between the two. Caruthersville has Mt.View Liberty and Malden while Dexter plays Ste.Gen and Poplar Bluff. Preacher, I can't remember but when was the last time someone else won the conference other than Dexter and Caruthersville?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 1:52 PM
  • NMCC virtually owned the semo central for

bout dozen yrs. Some called it the NMCCentral

Conference...surely you remember that Cheese..

Not really that long ago..

-- Posted by indian73 on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 2:27 PM

That's what I was thinking Indian haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 2:31 PM

Indian- I don't need a history lesson. I remember vividly NMCC owning pretty much everyone in SEMO in both football and basketball during the early 2000's. Not old enough to remember if they did in the early to mid 90's though lol. Thing is, what they did back then has nothing to do with who has won the conference recently. Teams go through their ups and downs, it runs in cycles. NMCC just happens to be down for the last several years while Caruthersville is on top in the conference. Caruthersville will have downs years just like most schools in this area does, esp a smaller school, it happens, while NMCC will be on top again one day. I've seen my fair share of lopsided scores with Cville being on the down side of them. Heck Liberty put a whooping on us last year lol. So trust me, I know how the fans of NMCC feel. So excuse me if I'm a little excited that my Tigers have been pretty competitive in SEMO for a while now.

I was simply asking Preacher when was the last time someone other than Cville/Dexter won the conference. I wasn't discrediting the other teams, it was a legit question. If you know the answer, please share. I'm just too lazy to look it up lol.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 3:31 PM
  • Cheese, based on my very limited research only going back to 2003, Caruthersville or Dexter have been conference champs every year with the exception of maybe 2006. Dexter and NMCC played for the conference championship that year and I think the Eagles won that game. I'm not a 100% about that though.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 3:49 PM

Yes NMCC did win 2006, as well as also beating Dexter in 2007 and 2008 claiming district championship and SEMO Central champion. And I don't how they didn't win it in 2009 Kony's senior year when they beat every SEMO central team including Dexter 48-14 and Caruthersville 36-7.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 4:29 PM

So I guess it was Cville 2010, Dexter 2011, Cville 2012, and Cville 2013.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 4:41 PM
  • Cheese, u didn't asked who recently, u just asked when was the last time someone else won semo central. I was just letting u know nmcc dominated for yrs. and won a few in between c'Ville & dexter in last 10 yrs. I think nmcc won almost every yr. all through the 90's. So...last 20yrs it would be safe to say they have12-13 conf. championships..check that out buck and post.

-- Posted by indian73 on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 5:37 PM

Sorry to interrupt the flow here, but is Kelly in a conference?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 5:44 PM

Oh yeah your def correct Indian NMCC has at least 12-13 in past 20 years, as well as 12-13 district championships. They dominated the 90's and half of the 2000's. I have a paper with all the exact years, I will see if I can locate that and post it.

Good question about Kelly, I was wondering the same.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 6:37 PM

From my understanding, Kelly is not in a conference.

-- Posted by OldManFootball on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 7:19 PM

On max preps it looks like Kelly is independent but who knows! Interesting how they do for their 1st varsity season!

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 7:20 PM

Thanks, just curious.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 7:36 PM
  • Thanks for the corrections and history lesson Buck. I didn't realize NMCC had been so dominant, but we didn't live in Semo at that time. I believe Dexter won four conference championships during the Pixley years. During the years my two sons played high school football (except for this year), either Caruthersville or Dexter have been conference champs.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 8:41 PM

No problem Preach! I look forward to playing you guys this year, I think it's gonna be a good game! I always look forward to the Dexter-NMCC game!? We at you guys place this year!? Or do y'all come here!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 8:51 PM
  • Me too Buck! It's usually a good game with both conference and district standings on the line. It looks like Dexter travels to New Madrid on Oct. 3.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Aug 10, 2014, at 9:12 PM
  • Semo North:

1. Jackson

2. Cape Central

3. Poplar Bluff

4. Sikeston

5. Farmington

SEMO Central

1. Caruthersville

2. Kennett

3. Dexter

4. NMCC

5. Charleston

SEMO South

1. Malden

2. Portageville

3. Scott City

4. Hayti

5. East Prairie

6. Chaffee

MAFC Red

1. Hillsboro

2. Festus

3. North County

4. Desoto

5. Windsor

MAFC White

1. Park Hills Central

2. Potosi

3. Ste Genevieve

4. Fredericktown

5. Perryville

I-55 Conference

1. Valle Catholic

2. St. Pius

3. Jefferson

4. St. Vincent

5. Herculaneum

6. Crystal City

Suburban Idk it's new

1. Oakville

2. Fox

3. Mehlville

4. Northwest

5. Seckman

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Mon, Aug 11, 2014, at 12:54 PM
  • Impressive boogin!

-- Posted by Biggy on Mon, Aug 11, 2014, at 4:19 PM

Kelly will, if allowed in, more than likely be put in the SEMO Central. Malden or Scott City would be a good fit for the SEMO Central too but they would leave the SEMO South kicking and screaming. There are also rumors of a Scott-Miss conference trying to be formed in the near future. That would include Chaffee, Scott City, Kelly, Charleston and East Prairie. It makes great since taking in account team/fan travel and the money saved by shorter travel for the schools and larger crowds for games. Example- Chaffee fans would more likely drive to Kelly or Charleston than they would say Hayti or Portageville.

-- Posted by Bleed Greene on Mon, Aug 11, 2014, at 8:06 PM

Almost forgot!

Semo North:

1. Jackson

2. Cape Central

3. Poplar Bluff

4. Sikeston

5. Farmington

SEMO Central

1. Kennett

2. Caruthersville

3. Dexter

4. NMCC

5. Charleston

SEMO South

1. Malden

2. Hayti

3. Scott City

4. Portageville

5. East Prairie

6. Chaffee

Read more: semoball.com: High School Football Forum : Conference standings http://semoball.com/forums/highschoolfootball/thread/8245#ixzz3A8T6KDjW

-- Posted by Bleed Greene on Mon, Aug 11, 2014, at 8:08 PM

Since 03, here's who won conference. Source was Maxpreps.

2013-Cville

2012-Cville

2011-Dexter

2010-Cville

2009-NMCC

2008-NMCC

2007-NMCC

2006-NMCC

2005-Dexter

2004-Cville

2003-Cville

Cville won 5

NMCC won 4

Dexter won 2

Pretty even as far as NMCC and Cville. Cville has won the last 3 of 4 years. NMCC dominated the mid 2000's with Dexter throwing a couple in there. I searched online to go further back but can't find anything. If anyone knows exact years what team won, please post.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Aug 13, 2014, at 3:10 PM

I should be able to post earlier info for NMCC on the years that they won in 90's and early 2000's (pretty sure they probably won 00,01,02). I have the info, just haven't been able to retrieve it yet.

Thanks for putting that together though Cheese!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Aug 13, 2014, at 4:08 PM

Yes Buck, 2000-2002 NMCC was the class of SEMO. Didn't they make a title game in 02? I think Dereck Tipler was their running back that year. He was something special in both football and basketball.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Aug 13, 2014, at 4:23 PM

Yep those were the glory years right there, in both sports. Yes they sure did, so close, so close, so close to winning it haha. Yep you got it, very gifted athlete right there.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Aug 13, 2014, at 4:42 PM

I still have a VHS tape,(remember those?) of a game between NMCC and Caruthersville in either 01 or 02. The game was played at NMCC. Also have the game with Hayti on the same VHS tape. Hayti went to the Dome that year. William Moore and Charles Gaines was on that team. Jimmy Jackson was a freshman who ran the opening kickoff for a TD. I need to watch those now I think about it lol.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Aug 13, 2014, at 5:20 PM
  • According to an article in The Daily Statesman by Jerry Jarrell dated Jan. 17, 2013, Dexter won conference titles in 2002, 2005, and 2011. We hope to add another one in 2014!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Aug 13, 2014, at 6:00 PM

Man I would like to see those too haha! Think how many good athletes there were during that period!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Aug 13, 2014, at 8:19 PM

Buck, I'll go through all my boxes in storage and find it. After I watch it, I'll be glad to loan it to you, or make you a copy to Dvd.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Aug 13, 2014, at 9:34 PM

Oh that would be great, thank you.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Aug 14, 2014, at 9:28 AM

Who are the surprising teams to look forward to this year? Any bad teams last year going to be tough this year and vise versa?

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Thu, Aug 14, 2014, at 1:46 PM

Preacher Man Fan

I don't see Dexter being very good, especially not good enough to win the Central. C'ville lost Monroe, but still have more horses in the stable.

You have Scott City number 2 in the South ?

Why is everyone counting out Sikeston ? They've managed to find a QB to run their system yearly, with all the athletes they have in the school, I don't see why that trend won't continue. Gibbs is one of the top coaches in the area, he'll have them ready for another winning season.

-- Posted by PoliticalCorrect on Fri, Aug 15, 2014, at 10:51 AM
  • Time will tell PoliticalCorrect. Obviously, I don't agree with you on Dexter, but we will see. They have most of their starters back, a senior heavy team, one of the best QB's in Semo, and a second year in Peden's system. Plus they looked great at Contact Camp. Today's Jamboree will tell us a lot.

Also I see Scott City as a real dark horse team this year. They finished strong last season and have almost everyone coming back. As for Sikeston, they lost a ton of players and starters last year and young teams tend to struggle. But you're right, you can never count a Gibbs team out.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Aug 15, 2014, at 1:54 PM

I agree with Preacher as far as Dexter being better this year, barring any key injuries. Remember, these same players played Malden pretty good last year in Dexter and Malden is supposed to be one of the better teams in the area. It may not show record wise because they do have a tough schedule but look for most of those games to be closer this year.

Sikeston will be down, well at least compared to their standard these past few years. Their first couple of games should be wins but never count out anyone. The Dexter game will be a good one IMO. Then you get to the larger teams and well, we just don't know enough right now about them to see where they stack up with the bigger schools just yet. I see them at best winning 4-5 games. Who knows though, they could come out and light everyone up.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Aug 15, 2014, at 2:22 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: