Semoball

High School Football Forum: Caruthersville 49 Ste. Genevieve 42 -Biased summary-

Posted by Judgedog on Sat, Oct 26, 2013, at 2:39 AM:

October 25, 2013 Caruthersville 49 Ste. Genevieve 42

A clear but very cold night in Ste. Genevieve (hereinafter referred to as SG) as our Tigers took on a very tough SG team. Temperatures may have been in the 30s, but the offenses were on fire in the first half which ended with the score knotted at 35-35. The defenses warmed up in the 2nd half, and the 3rd quarter would come to an end with the score tied at 42-42. The Tigers defense would make a couple of crucial stops in the 4th quarter, shutting out SG, while the Tiger offense scored the lone TD of the quarter, winning an amazingly exciting game, 49-42!

My wife told me almost an hour ago that it is too late to type my summary, but I just had to type something tonight. Perhaps tomorrow (or later today, that is) I will add a more detailed summary, but just let me say "what a game"!

I should also apologize to the SG fans...my program is out in my car, so I will just refer to your players by #...no disrespect intended.

The Tigers just seemed to have no defensive answer to SG's double-tight, option based offense, as SG methodically moved the ball throughout the 1st half. But the Tigers answered with big plays. Neither team ever lead by more than a TD, as the teams literally traded scores throughout the night.

A lot of offense to follow, but I must first mention defense. SG had the ball 1st and goal from the Tigers' 10, but the Tigers defense, led by Joey Middleton, Malik Monroe, Jamal Johnson, Abdul Johnson, Darrell Monroe, Grant Marshall, and the entire Tigers defense would hold SG without letting them score. On 4th and goal, it was "P Faulk", Peyton Faulkner, making a beautiful open field tackle, saving the TD, dropping the SG receiver at the Tigers 8.

The Tigers would then strike first on a remarkable 92 yard run by Darrell Monroe, with 3:23 remaining in the 1st quarter. The PAT failed. Tigers 6 SG 0

SG answered quickly, with #31 scoring with 1:15 left in the first. The PAT by #9 gave SG a 7-6 lead.

There would be 8 TDs scored in the 2nd quarter, with each team scoring 4.

With 11:33 remaining in the 2nd quarter, SG scored #23 getting the TD from 4 yards out. #9 added the PAT giving SG a 14-6 lead, and causing much nervousness to the Tigers faithful.

However, the Tigers answered quickly. Tigers QB Tyler Grissom would rush for 47 yards down to the SG 9 yardline. Jamal Johnson scored from there with 10:49 left in the half. Monroe powered his way in for the 2point conversion, knotting things up at 14-14.

SG would regain the lead on a 15 yard TD run by #23. #9 added the PAT giving SG the 14-21 lead.

Tyler McCaig returned the kickoff to the SG 46. On 1st down, Tyler Grissom powered his way through the SG defenders and raced 46 yards into the endzone. Colt Callens added the PAT, tying the game 21-21, with 8:47 left in the half.

It took SG forever (ok, only about 4 minutes) to regain the lead, when #23 scored on a 1 yard run. #9 added the PAT again putting SG in the lead, 21-28, with 4:17 left in the 2nd.

The Tigers would start from their own 15 after a touchback on the kickoff, and then a false start penalty. Monroe carried for 7 yards on 1st down...and for 78 on 2nd down. A run that you just had to see to believe. He ran up the middle and was knocked off his feet, flipped over (never being "down"), raced to the outside, put an old school stiff-arm on a defender and then outrace everybody to the house. Callens added the PAT, and again we were tied, 28-28, with 3:31 left in the half.

SG would respond (thanks to a Tiger offsides penalty giving them a 1st down on 4th and short), and also assisted by a 31 yard run by #23, and an 11 yard run by #31. #23 would take it in for the score from 4 yards out, and #9 added the PAT, again giving SG the lead, 28-35 with just 0:45 left in the half.

SG kicked off, with the Tigers receiving the kick and stepping out of bounds at the Tigers' 15. A Tiger false start penalty moved the ball back to the 10, and with less than 35 seconds remaining surely the Tigers couldn't cover the 90 yards to the endzone...or could they? Monroe carried for 38 yards out to the Tigers' 48. Grissom spiked the ball with 0:22 left in the half...time for 2 or 3 plays. The Tigers just needed 1 play, as Grissom threw the ball about 40 yards downfield, where Monroe made an acrobatic catch, kept his balance and stumbled into the endzone with 0:07 seconds remaining. Callens added the PAT, knotting it up at 35-35!

Trevonne Leatherwood's kickoff pinned SG deep in their own territory, SG took a knee, and a most exciting half of high school football was over.

It sure looked like the 2nd half was going to pick up right where the 1st half ended as SG took the kickoff and methodically marched downfield. SG's QB #11 had the big run of the drive, carrying the ball for 41 yards to the Tigers' 3 before being knocked out of bounds by Monroe. #31 would take it in for the score from 3 yards out. #9 added the PAT. SG would lead, but for the last time, 35-42 with 9:20 left in the 3rd.

Tyler McCaig put the Tigers in good field position, returning the kick to the Tigers' 45. Monroe ran for 24 yards. Grissom carried for 8. Rod Jones ran for 9 yards, and then again for 2 yards. Hunter Trevathan slipped down for a 1 yard gain. Monroe was then stacked up for a loss of 2. Grissom would then take it in from 13 yards out. Callens added the PAT, locking things up, 42-42, with 6:02 to go in the 3rd quarter. From there on out, the teams would trade a couple of possessions with no scoring.

The 4th quarter would begin much as the 1st quarter began, with a big defensive play from the Tigers defense. On 4th and 2, Landon Stricklin dropped the SG ballcarrier for a 1 yard gain, giving the Tigers the ball. The Tigers appeared to be poised to take the lead, moving the ball all the way down to the SG 4 yardline, but a strong SG defense and a costly Tiger penalty would force the Tigers to give the ball over on downs.

The Tiger defense would force SG to punt after 3 downs, and the Tigers would begin from their own 35 yardline, with Monroe on the sideline!

Rodrick Jones would carry the ball for 12 yards to the 47. Grissom then carried for 5 yards to the SG 48. Jones moved the ball to the 47. Grissom then passed to a leaping Colt Callens, for 15 yards to the 32. Jones then ran for 7 to the 25. Then, on 2nd and 3, Jones raced around the right end and dived into the endzone, scoring from 25 yards out! Callens added the PAT, giving the Tigers the lead 49-42 with 3:26 remaining in the game. (Our first lead since it was 6-0)

SG moved the ball into Tiger territory quickly, and with 1:29 remaining had the ball at the Tigers' 28. Malik Monroe forced a SG fumble, causing a loss of 11 back to the Tigers' 39. Now out of timeouts, SG was forced to go to the air. It didn't work as SG threw 3 incomplete passes and turned the ball over on downs with 0:31 left in the game.

Grissom would take a knee, and the clock would expire. TIGERS 49 Ste. Genevieve 42---FINAL

The win pushes the Tigers record to 7-1, and assures them of the #1 seed in Class 2 District 1, assuring the Tigers homefield advantage at Hopke Field throughout District Play (the 1st 3 games).

According to the "official Caruthersville statistician" here are a few C'ville stats:

Darrell Monroe:

16 rushes for 270 yards and 2 TDs;

2 catches for 63 yards and 1 TD;

1 return for 42 yards.

375 yards on 19 touches and 3 TDs.

7 solo tackles; 2 assists; and 1.5 tackles for loss.

Tyler Grissom had 10 carries for 124 yards and 2 TDs, and the TD pass to Monroe.

Rod Jones had 7 carries for 57 yards and 1 TD (the game winner).

Jamal Johnson had 3 carries for 51 yards and 1 TD. Jamal also had 13 solo tackles and 6 assists.

Abdul Johnson had 10 tackles and 8 assists.

Several great individual efforts and a great win for the Tigers as a team!

Congratulations to all of the Tigers, and the Tiger coaching staff: Head Coach Nathan Morgan, Brad Treece, Stacy Bradshaw and Jimmy Jackson. Great, great job of making the much needed adjustments which allowed to Tigers to get the W!

Replies (8)

• One last thing...I don't like to discuss injuries, but I must say how impressed I was at ALL fans tonight when a Ste. Genevieve player went down with an injury. Complete and utter silence. Respect! Prayers and positive thoughts up and out for that young man, and a tip of the cap to the fans.

-- Posted by Judgedog on Sat, Oct 26, 2013, at 2:57 AM
  • I was very anxious to see Monroe play and boy was I impressed. I saw fallert against ste gen and now Monroe. Monroe is man playing amongst boys. His speed is dynamic but I wasn't expecting the strength. Having 200 yrds rushing and only playing 3q is impressive. Both players are great football players but I know now why Monroe is talked up on the forums he's the real deal. Great game from both teams.

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Sat, Oct 26, 2013, at 6:50 AM
  • I will agree with Bleed that the officiating was not the best that I have ever seen. Caruthersville had several costly penalties. From a Tiger fans' perspective, the most perplexing call was when Monroe obviously took the ball from the SG ballcarrier, no whistle blown, but then they gave the ball back to SG.

BTW, from what I have heard thus far, I think that Darrell will be fine.

I agree that the intentional grounding call at the end of the game was a bit of a stretch. However, it was just a 5 yard penalty and SG still had another down to convert and failed to do so.

SG is a talented and well disciplined team. Best of luck to SG the rest of the way.

-- Posted by Judgedog on Sat, Oct 26, 2013, at 9:38 AM

I think Darrell was just tired, he is not used to playing smashmouth that much on the defensive side of the ball. He can usually just drop back in coverage or lay off on plays on defense (even though he rarely takes a play off) but not with that read option that Ste. Gen ran. Either you tackle them or slow them down where the rest of the team can hit them.

I still find it hard to believe that there are 50+ kids in St. Louis that are just like or similar to Monroe. That was stated by I think a Jackson fan even though they have never seen him play a down of football. I saw some Missouri State, Southern Ill. scouts at the game and heard there were a few more schools checking out this game.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Oct 26, 2013, at 2:43 PM

Bleed I think its safe to slow down as you are entering the endzone unless you have a bunch of guys right on your heels which Darrell rarely has he just slows down to cross the plane of the endzone which is all you have to do, I am sure if you had to break the back line on the goal line he may run a little bit faster through it.

Most of Darrell's TD runs are 50 or more yards and he usually breaks alot of tackles and is winded and wore out, if the refs think he is showboating they will throw a flag on him (which he got one vs Malden for unsportsmanlike for handing a Malden guy that was chasing him down the ball after he ran through the endzone). Now if he was holding the ball out behind him high stepping it to the endzone and coming to a complete standstill and the 5 yard line and pace into the endzone I could see your argument or concern.

Darrell is a good kid I have seen him go out of his way to give a hand to help the opposition up off of the field after they are tackled.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Oct 26, 2013, at 5:20 PM

A relative that was at the game said the same thing that Bleed did about Monroe. I knew he was good but I stand corrected that he's even better than I thought. This game was a really good measuring stick of his real ability. Besides Mtn View, someone finally gave them a really competitive game. I know Malden or Charleston kept it close but 9 more games Cville likely opens it up.

I will say that I've seen the videos of his long runs where he slows down at the goal line. I'm sure he doesn't mean anything negative with it BUT...wouldn't you rather he just keep jogging 5 more yards? Plus, college coaches will not appreciate that if/when he's in their uniform. Those db's at the next level may just catch him.

Otherwise, wish I would've gone to the game instead of the Valle / Pius game.

Last question: how does he compare with Jimmy Jackson and Reed?

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Sat, Oct 26, 2013, at 5:39 PM

A relative that was at the game said the same thing that Bleed did about Monroe. I knew he was good but I stand corrected that he's even better than I thought. This game was a really good measuring stick of his real ability. Besides Mtn View, someone finally gave them a really competitive game. I know Malden or Charleston kept it close but 9 more games Cville likely opens it up.

I will say that I've seen the videos of his long runs where he slows down at the goal line. I'm sure he doesn't mean anything negative with it BUT...wouldn't you rather he just keep jogging 5 more yards? Plus, college coaches will not appreciate that if/when he's in their uniform. Those db's at the next level may just catch him.

Otherwise, wish I would've gone to the game instead of the Valle / Pius game.

Last question: how does he compare with Jimmy Jackson and Reed?

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Sat, Oct 26, 2013, at 5:39 PM

Warriorz its really hard to compare these runners Jimmy Jackson played against some really tough competition and still put up a huge numbers his senior year. Kendrickus Reed went on to play college ball in California and did well, but all around I think Monroe is the best athlete out of the group.

Dont have much high school footage of Reed but here is Jimmy Jackson's Senior highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2OVWL3yUEc

Drick Reed College highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsc47-BNejk

I am sure you have seen plenty of highlights on Monroe so you can kind of judge their running styles.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Oct 26, 2013, at 8:07 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: