Semoball

High School Football Forum: Best running backs

Posted by wolfwoman on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 8:43 PM:

I'm sure everyone has their favorite but mine is Colton Proffer from Jackson. Not only does he make people miss but he makes the right cuts in the open field. It almost always takes 2 or 3 to take him down. He catches the ball and his yards after catch are amazing. If he was 20 lbs heavier colleges would be knocking his door down.

Replies (59)

• Best young RB's to watch are Anthony Roe and DJ Buchannan. They both play like seniors. Will both be trouble for teams for a while.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 9:04 PM

Younger backs I'd say Roderick Jones from Cville

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 9:17 PM
  • Guess we know who wolfwoman's son is..

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 9:24 PM

I'm gonna say Monroe and Proffer at this point in the season.

-- Posted by TheProsperer on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 10:21 PM

Did the guy from Valle rush for 3,000 yards last year?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 10:32 PM

Check out the run at the 1:48 mark Monroe shows how to execute a stiff-arm and you wonder why some are hesitant to try to tackle him straight up one on one.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 11:22 PM
  • -- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 11:23 PM
  • Best RB #42 Devon Yawn Chaffee.

-- Posted by footballmomof2 on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 11:31 PM

Yahn rushed for -3 yards on 3 attempts! Are we missing something? Tops in the area is Monroe, Proffer, and Chris Word when he's healthy.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 11:39 PM

Against Malden that is.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 11:43 PM
  • A story done by kfvs 12 on a pretty good running back.

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/23664365/home-built-training-course-guides-fallerts-...

-- Posted by blackNgold007 on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 11:44 PM

What about the back from Valle; did he not rush for 3,000 yards last year?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 11:44 PM
  • ^^^ See link

-- Posted by blackNgold007 on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 11:46 PM
  • Yahns a good WR.. I think we may not have the right position haha

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 11:55 PM

I was talking about Semoball schools but if you were to include our friends a little north of the coverage area, you'd have to put Fallert as one of the best.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Oct 13, 2013, at 8:40 AM
  • What about the Winkler kid from St. Vincent? Avg right around 150 rushing yds a game for a 4-3 team.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Sun, Oct 13, 2013, at 11:21 AM

Hey what position does Fallert play on D? Just curious...didn't know if he could probably get a LB scholarship at the next level...

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Oct 13, 2013, at 11:59 AM
  • In reguards to Monroe's run on Youtube at the 1:48 mark. Proffer will not see teams this year with the size and tackling skills as those on that youtube run, so it is just hard to make a comparison. There is a big difference in a 125 lb. cornerback and a fast 180 lb. cornerback. Monroe runs more upright, and would take more punishment by not avoiding the direct hits by bigger players. Monroe is good but doesn't juke and spin like a Markel Smith who is 210 lbs. and runs a 4.45 40.

-- Posted by theprof on Sun, Oct 13, 2013, at 12:48 PM
  • The only 40's I believe are laser timed. In my years of watching football I've see kids who supposedly run 4.3's and 4.4's and not even qualify in state for the 100.

Wheresthebeef, Fallert plays linebacker. I think he's got a good shot of being a D2 linebacker.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Sun, Oct 13, 2013, at 1:20 PM

Running Back

St. Louis, Missouri

St. John Vianney

View Map

Ht:5'10"

Wt:210 lbs

40:4.65 secs

That is from his rivals profile. Where did you get your 4.45 time at? Darrell runs a 4.62 40 and that time is legit. Darrell is a defensive player at the next level not really a RB. Darrell is up 4 inches on him and 10 lbs...

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Oct 13, 2013, at 1:30 PM
  • Jones from Cape Central is pretty solid but he has to share of lot of his carries with 2 other backs.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sun, Oct 13, 2013, at 3:37 PM

I don't care who the player is there is always someone bigger stronger or faster than them and that is at any level. Heck I wouldn't care to see him at SEMO cause everyone knows they could use an impact player cause they have seemed lost this season. Go to a JUCO or smaller D1 school get your academics where they need to be and transfer once you get everything lined out.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Oct 13, 2013, at 4:47 PM
  • Monroe will never get the grades or the ACT score to be D1. Wasted talent.

-- Posted by InYourOpinion on Sun, Oct 13, 2013, at 6:49 PM

No need for that man. Be respectful, they are kids, grow up.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Oct 13, 2013, at 7:13 PM

^^x2 no need in getting that started this is a thread about best running backs in the area.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Oct 13, 2013, at 7:19 PM

I remember the same thing was said about William Moore and we see how that turned out!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Oct 13, 2013, at 7:33 PM
  • Just stating the facts. Nothing personal about the kid. Probably the most talented kid in this area since Wiiliam Moore. Just a shame it might not get him anywhere.

-- Posted by InYourOpinion on Sun, Oct 13, 2013, at 8:31 PM
  • Plus lets not get all high and mighty here. Plenty of you guys get on here and talk about kids by name. Just because its Monroe doesn't make him above reproach.

-- Posted by InYourOpinion on Sun, Oct 13, 2013, at 8:33 PM
  • -- Posted by Justdoit7 on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 4:11 PM
  • Just remember that none of these are any back are any good with out a good offensive line

-- Posted by lastride67 on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 7:41 PM
  • Same was said about Ealy and we have seen what focus and determination can do for a kid. Monroe has a similar build to Ealy. If he works hard and gets in the right weight program the kid could excel at the next level.

-- Posted by coachpanther on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 8:08 PM
  • Kennett running back had a good season without that good of a lineman

-- Posted by Justdoit7 on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 9:48 PM
  • Who's putting up numbers like Cape Centrals Mikey Jones? Nobody. He should win the Carr this year.

-- Posted by CapeTiger20 on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:46 AM
  • The Malden kid put up 2,100 yards rushing breaking McCoy's record from last year when he won the Carr. But he's got one thing working against him....he's a junior. This award traditionally goes to seniors.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:52 AM
  • Well we would need to know what Mikey Jones' stats are to answer that question.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:17 AM
  • Mikey has 1,924 yards on the season. I think he has almost 30 touchdowns too. In the last 4 games alone, he has 17 touchdowns with over 1,000 yards rushing. He is averaging over 250 yards per game in the last 4 games with three of the games being in districts. Mikey sat out the 4th quarter and sometimes the whole 2nd half in all four of those games too.

-- Posted by CTFan on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 11:31 AM

Capetiger20- Tyler fallert. Yes I'm biased and yes they play seperate competition but his stats are as good or better and he is a D-I recruit.

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 11:36 AM

SEMO area has to be Monroe. How big is the Malden kid? I'm not saying this is bad because I'd do the same thing (call his play every time) but he routinely gets 200+ yards on 30-40 carries so his ypc isn't as high. I wish I got to see him play this year. Good, hard runner it seems like.

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 11:40 AM
  • -- Posted by NewTigerFan on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 12:18 PM
  • Mikey has the Schedule strength to his advantage

-- Posted by CapeTiger20 on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 1:36 PM

In reference to the grades comments, Sheldon Richardson was a JUCO kid out of HS and many thought he wouldn't make it b/c of grades. He transferred to MIZZOU out of JUCO and you can see him on Sundays for the Jets. If you end up JUCO, that's not necessarily a dead end.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 1:44 PM
  • The smaller SEMO schools don't play near as tough of a schedule as the bigger schools

-- Posted by CapeTiger20 on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 1:44 PM

Because in order to be able to play D-1, you have to play for a bigger high school and the very best competition lol. Sorry Class 1-3 players, you don't count. This horse has been beaten dead for years.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 3:27 PM
  • Yea. Great examples of kids who couldn't play D-1 ball after going to class 1-3 schools include Tony Martin, Brandon Bourbon, Kony Ealy, and William Moore.

Brendan Dallas has 31 tds. (I know he isn't able to win the Carr trophy.) I don't know Fallert's exact numbers but he's got to have over 2k rushing. (I also know he can't win it either.) so there are other kids putting up those numbers. Not taking anything away from Jackson's RB. Because he's obviously a good back.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 6:25 PM
  • Fortunately, college and pro scouts look past the "school size" when evaluating talent. Otherwise, Matt Palmer (C'Ville") and Jeff Stone (North Pemiscot) wouldn't have played major league baseball; nor would William Moore (Hayti) played for Mizzou and the Atlanta Falcons. Just to name a few......

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 6:27 PM

Hell even Chaffee has had pro athletes. Not in a while but I'm pretty sure they've had one in football and multiple in baseball. Chaffee fans please clarify. I remember willy mo in high school and he was solid. Good thing mizzou didn't realize he played class 1 football or he'd be shoveling snow.

When I was in college, a guy I played with argued that Valle didn't play anyone to win state titles, etc. and nor did any small school. My argument back was that st Vincent had more athletes per 1000 student-athletes become pro athletes in a single sport than some bigger schools. SV has probably had 40-50 kids play football every year for 15 years. That's between 600-750. They've had two that I know of play pro football. Scott pingel (all time all divisions receiving records holder other than like catches in a game...broke most of Jerry rice's records) and Derek Kutz made it pretty far. A school like cape central has about 70-90 kids play football a year. In the last 15 years how many pro football players have they had?

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 6:38 PM
  • Chaffee had Steve Rodgers WR for the falcons I think, Tony Dalton was drafted by the Broncos as an OL and Lindy Duncan got to Triple A with the Rangers

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 7:04 PM
  • Who is recruiting Tyler Fallert on the D-1 level?

-- Posted by Coachken on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 7:21 PM

I'm not sure of the most anymore but locally SEMO. I assure you there are plenty of D-I's. I'll try to find out before I throw out any wrong colleges or some that aren't interested anymore. Nathan Grass played at SEMO. He was a little different back than Tyler but didn't have near the numbers Tyler has either. And that's running the midline option twice every series of downs if not more.

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 8:15 PM

List not most. Valle throws way more than we used to so to have his numbers is crazy.

Wow how long ago was the Rogers and dalton guy? Didn't Chaffee have another pro baseball player besides the Lindy Duncan guy? That's strange because I thought only big school athletes were good enough and played enough competition to advance their careers that far. Hmm.

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 8:18 PM
  • Wow. Nobody said anything about the small school players playing D-1. I said the small schools in the Semo area don't play a tough schedule like the bigger schools.

-- Posted by CapeTiger20 on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:02 PM
  • I'm sure Webb, JB, Cape, Kirkwood, Webster Groves, and Helias really want to play teams like Valle, St. Vincent, Chaffee, Charleston, or Hayti. Who should they schedule to make it tougher? There's only so many "tough" teams on this side of the state. You only get to schedule 9 games and there's nothing teams can really do about conference games.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:36 PM

Perry- did I say those big schools should play the smaller schools?

My point was that small schools have big talent just like big schools do. But you missed that point.

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 6:44 AM
  • Small schools do have talent. But rushing for 2000 yards vs class 1 competition is far different than doing it on a class 4 level or higher.

-- Posted by Coachken on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 6:55 AM
  • Yeah because Fallert and Monroe could NEEEEVER rack up the yards playing behind Jackson or Cape's line.

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 7:26 AM
  • You think fallert would run for 3000 yards in any other class? I would hope that answer is obvious. Put a kid like north county's QB at Valle. He would put up amazing numbers.

-- Posted by Coachken on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 7:52 AM

Not saying that Fallert or Monroe couldn't put up big numbers in the bigger classes. But to say they would put up the same or more is a little naive. Here is a stat about Cape central that gets over looked. Of their four losses this year, 3 are in the Quarter finals(Jackson, St. Charles West, Burroughs)and the other Zumwalt East was undefeated until they got beat by Parkway Central in their district championship. That's pretty good competition.

-- Posted by NewTigerFan on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 8:11 AM

I needed a good laugh!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 8:55 AM
  • Warriorz, I really don't know how anything I said applies to you unless you're also capetiger20.

I'm pretty sure I named off D-1 talent from small schools. Read the posts dude....

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 10:08 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: