Semoball

High School Football Forum: NMCC VS DEXTER

Posted by Longer78 on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:19 PM:

Was it just me or was the officiating kinda bad tonight? First off congrats to the eagle on the victory! But D.J.'s last catch which sure looked like a td to be was ruled incomplete! And the celebration penalty was absolutely uncalled for I mean he dragged 2 defenders into the end zone and had a little celebration and got a penalty for it! They can do it in the NFL but not high school? IMO it was not excessive! And also shouldn't that penalty be on the kickoff not the extra point!

Replies (57)

• that's ridiculous.. Let the kid celebrate a potential game winning td

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:27 PM

Can't wait to see the replay so I can see what it's about! Some were complaining on Cover It Live

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:35 PM
  • Longer78.... The boy acted like he was Superman after scoring a touchdown. By rule, he definitely deserved an unsportsmanlike penalty. The penalty is assessed on the extra point in high school unlike the NFL because there are different rules. I would not blame the officials when a kid on an 1-4 football team commits an act that has no place on a high school football field. He is a good athlete and I hope he learns from the mistake he made this evening. I do not believe the officials were bad tonight.

-- Posted by okachaw on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:36 PM
  • I agree on the officiating, but DJ just dropped that TD pass. Dexter had too many penalties and turnovers and special teams play was awful. Also, injuries are just taking their toll. Every one of the DL that started Game 1 were injured tonight, at least two of which are done for the season. Finally, there was some very questionable play calling tonight. Dexter just abandoned the pass in the 3rd quarter when it was working so well in the 1st half.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:36 PM
  • ReDDirt Dog, I saw your comment about Dowdy on Cover it Live- I'd 10 just like him any day!

If I'm not mistaken get on Heartland Football Friday and watch the Cape Central Hightlights, I believe there were a few players celebrating, slapping hands and there were no penalties called.

-- Posted by CatDad on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:48 PM
  • The one about him talking all the time?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:51 PM
  • Dexter people in the press box said the penalty was warranted.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:54 PM
  • Dexter people in the press box said the penalty was warranted.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:56 PM
  • I see college and pro players celebrate way more than that and not get a penalty! A teams record has nothing to do with him getting a penalty! So your telling me if he's on a winning team it's ok to do that! Bottom line it was a bad call and if not for that it could have been a tie game and went into overtime! I agree with preach we beat ourselves tonight but the officials helped also!

-- Posted by Longer78 on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:57 PM
  • REDDIRT DOG, coaches almost never criticize the officiating publicly. My son was in the locker room and it was a different story there I assure you where that call was concerned.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:01 PM
  • Yes, Dirt that's exactly what I'm referring too and like I said, I would take 10 of him!!

-- Posted by CatDad on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:03 PM
  • He is a good all around athlete, but I have seen it in person on the basketball court, and heard multiple Dexter parents and fans say the same things. He's a good kid though. Just needs to play.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:11 PM
  • It does not matter whether the team is 10-0 or 0-10 as far as the penalty. The point is that Dexter kids have no reason to pound their chest or open up their shirt like they are a super hero when their boys sports programs have had very little success lately. I hope I don't have to give you a reason why high school sports are different than college and professional sports. This shows how little you know about the game. I agree it COULD have been a tie game and it COULD have gone into overtime, but instead the score ended 21-20 because a kid made a mistake. It is ashamed you are supporting what he did tonight. He put himself in a position to fail....and you saw what happened.

-- Posted by okachaw on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:12 PM
  • Preach are you saying that call was addressed or what?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:13 PM
  • Please don't tell me he did the Cam Newton!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:15 PM
  • Oh yes he did...twice! This guy is actually supporting it! I think sportsmanship and how you conduct yourself far outweigh what else you do on a high school football field. After all, for the majority of HIGH SCHOOL athletes that is what they can take them after the experience comes to an end. I do feel that I am in the minority with this thought process.

-- Posted by okachaw on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:20 PM

Great win NMCC!! Very hard fought game, and those are the kind you have to tough and grind out a victory. NMCC also had 2 interceptions and fumble (2 in the red zone, 1 on the 5 yard line), so I can see where one well deserved penalty that MIGHT have resulted in an extra point/2 point conversion decided the game (sarcastic type). Impressed with Dexters QB, he can really air out the ball. Like 240 something passing yards I think!? NMCC really has to work on the passing defense. Hats off to them for making it a game!! But this win should really help in districts. Go Eagles!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:22 PM
  • With the mindset that Longer78 has I guess it is okay since professional sports and high school sports are the same.

-- Posted by okachaw on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:22 PM
  • Okachaw, I watched the game on TV and Dowdy did not act like Superman. He made a great catch and drug two defenders into the end-zone. He was naturally excited, but not excessively so. But you're obviously an NMCC fan and I'm a Dexter fan, so naturally we're going to see it differently. However, Cheesehead and REDDIRT DOG are fair-minded with no dog in the fight. If they will watch the replay on SemoSportsZone this week and say it was excessive, I will accept it. Not trying to put anyone on the spot, but clearly someone with more objectivity than us needs to weigh in here.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:25 PM
  • Watch other high school games kids celebrate and dont deaw a penalty! yes he did it twice! Why do you keep bringing up there record and now saying they haven't had success lately! That has nothing to do with it but to you it does! I mean 4th quarter you score a td that potentially would tie the game and he celebrates! And it wasn't excessive! I'm not trying to take any thing away from NMCC just saying let them play and don't let a excessive celebration penalty decide the game!

-- Posted by Longer78 on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:28 PM
  • I can't believe it was the superman thing! I mean come on your 1-5! That is what I'm talking about. Just shut up and play!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:28 PM

I'll definitely give my honest opinion on it Preach once they upload it.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:29 PM
  • If he did it then he shouldn't have. End of story!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:30 PM
  • My residence may surprise you....he most definitely did the Cam Newton superman move. I saw it with my own eyes as well as others sitting around me. I have nothing against the boy-just with the act.

-- Posted by okachaw on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:33 PM
  • Just look at the footage REDDIRT DOG, then make up your mind. And yes, reportedly the Dexter coaches were very upset with the call in the locker room.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:34 PM
  • Okachaw- THAT is not the ONLY reason Dexter lost the game tonight! Really? You have some nerve getting on here blaming one player for one mistake when there were multiple mistakes made by multiple players that could have turned that game around at any given time. Nobody feels worse than this kid does right now I can assure you of that! I think your comments about him failing are harsh and you need to remember you are talking about a high school kid who works his tail off all summer and plays hard and definitely does not deserve to be put down in this type of manner.

-- Posted by CatDad on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:34 PM
  • Okachaw, do you live in Oklahoma?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:35 PM
  • I assure you Preach I will be objective.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:37 PM
  • Okachaw, shame on you. There was no "cam newton" or "superman" once let alone twice. Give your opinion on the game, but outright lies regarding a high school athlete are childish and ridiculous. Debate the rule which in my opinion is a good rule but in this case was used when it wasn't needed. The boy made a great play and pumped his fist in the air. How that is excessive is beyond me. As parents and coaches we teach our kids to be fired up, to pump up our teammates and to celebrate and be proud of our accomplishments -- except for when you make a great catch and drag two defenders into the end zone -- at that time you are supposed to keep a straight face and walk away?! Please.

Great job DJ Dowdy. Keep being a force on the field.

-- Posted by Bearcatalum on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:37 PM
  • Okachaw.. I'm not saying he didn't make a gesture or too! I know he did I saw it also! But how is that excessive celebration? You got to look at it from dexter! They played the hardest first 4 game stretch to start the season in SEMO. It's like a new season to them and they are pumped up and wanting to win! It was a battle the whole game and with that td I think he deserved to celebrate!

-- Posted by Longer78 on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:37 PM
  • Longer78...I do not know how to explain it other than this.....SCC basketball may have a reason to be cocky since they have banners hanging up all over their gym!! Dexter doesn't-they need to focus on getting better rather than "celebrating" small successes. BTW...I did not see Otto do the Superman after hanging on nearly every rim in SEMO.

-- Posted by okachaw on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:39 PM
  • Yes he did the Superman thing, he ran a TD dragging 2 other players on his back. He admitted it was wrong! He is a highschool kid and doesn't deserve to be trashed by so called adults on a forum! I hope you people trashing this kid are proud of yourselves!

-- Posted by CatDad on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:44 PM
  • How is that being cocky by celebrating a td??? It's not like they are playing for nothing! With a win they could of moves up into 4 or 5 seed in districts which means hosting a playoff game! And as focusing on getting better I think they have showed everyone how much better they are! Every week they look better and a lot of people were expecting us to get a beat down tonight and as you seem that didnt happen!

-- Posted by Longer78 on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:44 PM
  • This play did not lose them the game. The turnovers/penalties probably did them in tonight. The penalty did have an impact on the game-but who knows the extra point is not a gimme in HS sports. My post has nothing to do with the boy-just the act. He made a great play on that catch and has made good plays all year. I just don't support a poster supporting what happened on that play.

-- Posted by okachaw on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:45 PM

Force on the field lol Go Mom!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:47 PM

How is it not being cocky!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:48 PM
  • I am done...my intention was not to run down a kid. I was just responding to the poster for supporting what I felt(along with the official on the field) was unsportsmanlike conduct. He is a hard worker and should be proud of all the effort he puts forth.

-- Posted by okachaw on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:49 PM
  • First of all congrats to both teams. With the way each team played, that game could have gone either way.

Secondly he did not drag two players into the end zone. If you will watch closely, he was knocked into the end zone by an eagle defender.

Third he did make an awkward gesture toward the other players, but I really believe it was a make-up call for that terrible pass interference (holding) call the play before. No way was that particular play holding. That was great defense.

Fourth, no way did the officials have any bearing on the outcome of this game. Both teams had multiple chances to take more of a lead in this game. You could always go back to that play near the end of the first half that would have put Dexter up at least 2 td's. If he is 2 steps back, Dexter has another score and totally changes the second half.

-- Posted by MayorEagle on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 5:31 AM
  • Two weeks ago against Caurthersvillle Monroe ran for 5 touchdowns 3 of those he stopped on the 1 yard line and stepped in the end zone . Nothing was called any of those times.Is that not taunting or unsportsmanlike ? I personally think that is worse than what happened last night.

-- Posted by CatDad on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 7:16 AM

And you're full of it too Catdad. He slows down near the goal line. Should he do a full sprint into the endzone? The things you people gripe about. Just watch the game footage on YouTube and you'll see.

http://youtu.be/o5I7eLUNY0s

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 7:28 AM
  • Just how I saw it

-- Posted by CatDad on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 7:30 AM
  • Why would you want to even slow down to almost a complete stop anyway unless your wanting to show up the defense.

-- Posted by CatDad on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 7:35 AM

Not sure how that's showing up a defense. There's no sense in running 10 yards into the endzone in a full sprint, especially on that night because it was raining and the field was wet. Could have easily slipped and twisted something trying to stop on a dime after running full sprint in the end zone on a wet night like that night. I mean I didn't know there is a certain way to cross the goal line.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 7:45 AM
  • You win -----can't argue with that theory

-- Posted by CatDad on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 7:54 AM

I wasn't trying to argue man. I've watched Darrell for years, even in Middle School, he's just not the type of player to show anyone up. I can see where one would think that but trust me, he didn't mean any ill will by slowing down.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 7:57 AM
  • Big D. Monroe fan here, but can offer a very good reason for a runner "not" to slow down prior to crossing the goal line. How many times have we seen a silly penalty called on the offensive unit, that had no bearing on the play, after the ball carrier had broken free. Therefore, best to score as quickly as possible and seal the deal!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 4:47 PM

I would agree any other time but I'd much rather have a penalty than get hurt by slipping on a wet field. That's just me though. I think we can all agree there was no showing anyone up in this case. I do see your point though semo.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 5:21 PM
  • Didn't Monroe rush for like 240 yards that night? That "wet field" must have been terrifying for him.

-- Posted by Coach Becker on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 9:04 PM

You obviously missed the point. Trolls be trolling

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 10:30 PM
  • If your point was the fact that you made up a lame excuse for what could be perceived (not by me) by some to be showboating by a C'ville player then I think I got the point. I have no problem with the play, just the explaination you gave for it. As if somehow C'ville players are immune from unsportsmanlike behavior.

-- Posted by Coach Becker on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 11:09 PM

I couldn't care less if you agree with my explanation or not. That's just how it is. Sure the field was wet all night and he had a lot of yards but there is no sense in taking any extra risk for injury just to ease some fans minds about showboating. Again, you "assume" I think Cville players are immune to unsportsmanlike behavior(which is ridiculous by the way). They are kids, they make mistakes in the heat of the moment, but this is NOT one of those moments. I've seen my fair share of unsportsmanlike penalties on Cville players that were very well deserved. When did this become a Monroe issue? If you want to accuse a kid of showboating just start a new topic about it. I'm sure Preacher would like to get feedback from the NMCC game as is why this topic was started. You people crack me up!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 11:25 PM

Not saying Preacher started the topic but he would like unbiased feedback.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 11:32 PM
  • Read this very slowly. I am not making this a Monroe issue. I stated my feelings on the play in question and didn't feel an unsportsmanlike penalty was necessary. My issue was with your explanation of the play. As if you could read his mind and know for a fact that he did what he did for health reasons. The inference that C'ville players are immune from unsportsmanlike behavior was made in sarcasm. Surely you get that.

-- Posted by Coach Becker on Sun, Oct 6, 2013, at 12:05 AM

Well with him having a serious injury last year with his leg, I'm sure he's much more cautious during rainy conditions(meaning him not taking unnecessary risk). Do I know for sure? No, but I've seen this kid play for a long time and trust me when I say, he's not that type of player.

Preacher, YHC only put up the 1st half of the game. Are they going to put the 2nd half up? Or was there some sort of problem with the recording?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Oct 6, 2013, at 11:18 AM
  • Cheesehead, I wish I knew the answer. They usually post the whole game.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Oct 6, 2013, at 2:40 PM
  • There was a problem with the video I believe.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Sun, Oct 6, 2013, at 2:58 PM
  • I hope every body made it to church this morning.

-- Posted by jayrod on Sun, Oct 6, 2013, at 4:19 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: