Semoball

High School Football Forum: NMCC vs Fredericktown

Posted by IMADAWG on Thu, Oct 11, 2012, at 8:16 PM:

NMCC comes in 2-0 in the conference trying to make it 3-0 against a tough Fredericktown team. I pick Freddy to win, but I have a strong feeling NMCC might upset Freddy. Any thoughts on this game?

Replies (17)

• As much as it pains me, I have to admit that Fredericktown is a pretty good football team.

Upsets happen......but it's gonna be a tall order for the eagles!

-- Posted by zachattack on Thu, Oct 11, 2012, at 8:30 PM

They have lost to Caruthersville and charleston. Maybe you mean district not conference!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 11, 2012, at 9:00 PM
  • in all honesty, i'd be surprised in nmcc scores before the 4th quarter... new madrid has only beaten 2 teams. and really bad teams at that. freddy's 3 losses have been to #2 in class 2 maplewood, #6 in class 3, and #10 in class 3. by a total of 34 points (21 by SG). only give up 22 points a game. 15 points in their 4 wins. and score 33 points a game. and 43 points in their 4 wins. but like they say, games aren't played on paper. nmcc can make it a game if they shut down gremminger.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Thu, Oct 11, 2012, at 9:38 PM
  • I was gonna say 44-14, but I didn't want to be rude! haha

-- Posted by zachattack on Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 8:52 AM

That looks about right Zach!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 8:57 AM
  • The 'Cats scored what 36 on them last year and 57 in 2010? I guess we've seen improvement from NMCC, beating a down Dexter and Kennett. I think it'll be the 'Cats by +21. If Coach Pixley talked to Coach Stolzer then maybe it'll be close...

-- Posted by mojo3 on Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 11:25 AM
  • Daddy, the only game the 'Cats were totally out of a chance to win going late in the fourth was the SG game. That was because the 'Cat defense had no counter for the adjustments made by SG's offense.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 11:29 AM
  • yea i know! that's basically what my point is. freddy could easily be 6-1 right now and possibly even 7-0. just couldn't catch the breaks against park hills and maplewood. but that's why park hills and maplewood are ranked in state! SG proved their ranking last week against freddy!

pixley IS a good coach. idk if the talent level has shrunk since ealy and stevenson have graduated or what. but this is the bigggest slump nmcc has had in recent memory for. but give them a few more years and they'll be the nmcc i played in high school.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 1:44 PM

I believe that NMCC will get better here in the next couple of years. They have three really good sophomore running backs/defense players, one being Stevenson's little brother, a good freshman group/JV team, and a great 8th grade group coming up. Hopefully they can get out of this slump soon.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 2:36 PM
  • cats up 21-0 6 min left in 2nd.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 7:49 PM
  • now it's 28-0.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 7:57 PM
  • 35-0 1 min to go in first half.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 8:06 PM
  • 42-6 final from freddy. not a bad prediction zach!

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 9:02 PM
  • It was nice to see James Royer back on the field. He really makes a difference in the run game.

-- Posted by ALL MADISON COUNTY MVP on Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 10:08 PM
  • heck yea! i love that kid! he's a little bowling ball!

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 10:48 PM
  • MVP, have to agree with you. Royer's blocking opens up the defense for Gremminge's running!

Biggest difference I saw was the linemen. FredMo's line overall looked HUGE compared to NMCC, not to say there weren't a huge player or two on the Eagles' line. I do think #20 on the Eagles is a good QB, but just wasn't in sync with his recievers on several occaisions. Will post more later.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Sun, Oct 14, 2012, at 1:17 PM
  • This was another solid game by the Blackcats!

Offensively, I thought in early going the 'Cats were sputtering a bit, seemed to take a couple series for them to get the ball rolling you could say. The 'Cats didn't move the ball well until the third offensive possession. After then the offense took off, scoring the first 6 about 7 minutes into the game on a 20 yard pass from Gremminger to Korokis, but a muffed kick for the PAT left it 6-0. From there the 'Cat offense pretty much scored at will every time they touched the ball. By the half, the score was 35-0.

Quite a few of the starters sat out most of the second half. The Fredericktown punter went down for a low snap and touched his knee giving NMCC their best field position of the game mid-way in third which they took advantage of and scored their lone points. Fredericktown quickly answered, marching the ball down to near the ten when Justin Sawyer caught a pass to answer the NMCC score that with the PAT made the final score 42-6, from then both offenses gave the back-up players a chance to play in a game. According to the Daily Journal, Gremminger had 212 yards rushing on 19 carries and three TD's, no passing stats listed but I'd say at least 100 yards minimum, with the two TD passes noted, wasn't much call for a passing attack on the Eagle defense. James Royer started after sitting out the SG game with a possible concussion from the MRH game. Having James in the line-up made a difference in the 'Cats running game IMO, the holes he opened up for Gremminger were things of football beauty. Jeremy looked a lot like Matt Drury running with Royer in the lead. Royer compiled 90 or so yards rushing himself plus a rushing TD. I should note a punt return or two were made for long yards, setting up a couple short Blackcat scoring drives if I remember things right. Sawyer is listed with 8 receptions by the Daily Journal, but no yards given.

Defensively, the Blackcats held NMCC to only 77 yards total offense according to the Daily Journal. The best field position the eagles could muster until the punt mistake noted above was at about the 'Cats 45. There were a few long passes that the Eagles tried but just couldn't complete, I think most of the yards were on the ground, but I don't remember any running plays for more than 10 yards or so and those were few and far between. One extremely long pass I remember was about a fifty yard toss to the south endzone by the Eagles #20. Patrick Kline jumped up in front of the receiver and may have tipped it just enough to deny the Eagles a TD on that play. From what I remember this was some time in the second quarter and may have been when Kline got hurt, he didn't play anymore after that. Korokis is making a name for himself defensively, he's credited with 11 tackles, Nathan Allgier was not too far behind with 8 and Brian Fingers got credit for a QB sack. Sawyer made an interception in the second quarter I think.

Offensively, the Eagles just couldn't get anything going until the third. I did like the play of the QB #20, (sorry don't have a roster, so don't know his name) several times he scrambled away from the rush and did get a few yards with his feet. The few passes he completed were short ones, but the Eagles did try a few deep shots that were just out of reach of the receivers. The longest passing opportunity may have been broken up by Patrick Kline as said above. I thought the Eagle O-line was over-matched by the Blackcats D-line, our boys looked HUGE lining up across them. Most of the Eagle possessions until the lone TD were three and out affairs, the 'Cat D was just too much for them.

Defensively, about like the offense, the Eagles were way over-matched. After the first TD, the 'Cats could move at will. There really was no rush on any passing plays, the 'Cats O-line held the Eagles in check. Gremminger averages 11+ yards per carry and Royer was maybe 8 or 9 per carry. I don't remember any Blackcat turnovers.

The Eagles to me are about like Kennett, you see talent there, but they just can't get things together. Maybe it is experience?

-- Posted by mojo3 on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 2:51 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: