Semoball

High School Football Forum: Sikeston vs. Bluff

Posted by BillYung on Tue, Sep 18, 2012, at 8:44 PM:

Does Bluff even have a chance? Sounded like Bluff held Cape and Jackson tough for a half then everything went south. Sikestons team speed is gonna be tough to handle, and their defensive line might be too much for Bluff.

Replies (28)

• Sikeston turbo clock by half

-- Posted by Bearcats101 on Tue, Sep 18, 2012, at 8:50 PM

I think the Bluff offensive line is going to struggle especially after the way Nick Nichols went off against Farmington. They are going to have to get the passing game going if they want to keep it close. Also, they are going to have to do better defending sweeps, etc. on the edge because they looked like they struggled doing that against Jackson. I like Sikeston to win the game.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Sep 18, 2012, at 8:54 PM
  • Yes, Bluff has a chance, although I think Sikeston will win by 3 TD's. I actually think Bluff will keep this game closer than the Jackson game because Sikeston doesn't pass as much. But the bottom line is that the Bulldog defense is just too strong.

Sideline, even if Bluff gets the passing game going, its not just Nichols they have to worry about. How about the game the Golden kid had against Farmington at CB? Wow! I thought earlier the Bulldog defense was vulnerable through the air, but they seemed to have fixed that problem too.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Sep 18, 2012, at 9:06 PM

Preach, Aundrea made some great plays against Farmington. We have ballhawks on our team. The problem is that we sometimes seem like we give the receivers seemingly too much space to manuever. The pass defense is the weak point on the team in my opinion. They aren't bad, just the part of the team that gives me the most concern.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Sep 18, 2012, at 9:18 PM

I also heard a kid named flannigan (sp) get mentioned a lot on defense.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 18, 2012, at 9:22 PM

Yeah, Blake Flannigan plays inside linebacker. I believe he was our leading tackler last year. Very high strong kid and one of the more vocal leaders on the team.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Sep 18, 2012, at 9:26 PM

They play a 4-4 most of the time. Which isnt a pass defense its a run defense. Think about it if you line up in the I with a TE you have 7 inside blockers on a dive vs 8 inside defenders. the fact that people try to run on sikeston is just stupid mathematically (Which Is why Cape Cant Move The Ball on Sikeston). You gotta be able to spread the field and throw it around when they are in that 4-4 look. And if you cant throw it well enough to make the outside backers widen out then your not going to move the ball consistantly.Also I like that at points in the Farmington game they switched to a 3 front to better protect against the pass.

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Tue, Sep 18, 2012, at 10:06 PM

I thought it was interesting that they switch to the 3 front during the Farmington game. I'm in no way a trained eye when it comes to defensive formations but it was something I hadn't noticed Sikeston do too often. Anybody with more expertise than me know if we have done this before or if this is a new wrinkle the opposing offense will have to be aware of?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Sep 19, 2012, at 2:34 AM
  • From what I saw at the dome game, the Dogs did switch to a 3 man front for most of the game. That's not to say they didn't run some 4-4, but they definitely did a lot of a 3 man front.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Sep 19, 2012, at 8:49 AM

Its new.... they havent ran a 3 front that I know of since gibbs arrived

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Wed, Sep 19, 2012, at 9:45 AM
  • When you have a program like Farmington, that historically has had very good read qb's, and throw the ball exceptionally well.....if yu can pull it off, and the opposition hasn't demonstrated a good run attack.....you run that 3 man front, to get an additional man in pass cover. If also, they get accustomed to seeing a 3 man front, that 4th man blitzing, really can create confusion in HS blocking assignments.....I think Coach Gibbs, Flanningan and McGill took what Farmington gave them.....and it worked well. I noticed Farmington moved the Garrett kid in front of N Nichols in the 2nd half, to try and slow down that intense pass rush. It helped them some....but they still didn't answer the Bulldogs D.

-- Posted by Headhunt on Wed, Sep 19, 2012, at 10:15 AM

It worked great and I think putting Garrett on Nichols when Garrett was on offense tired him out. He didn't seem to be making the plays on defense nearly as much afterward.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Sep 19, 2012, at 10:51 AM
  • Yeah....after it was 26-0, it was too late for that. The damage had been done. Nick probably won't surprise many people now.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Sep 19, 2012, at 10:59 AM
  • Nichols was a beast in that game.He's a very good athlete.Sideline I agree Garrett wore down blocking him in second half. He did do a fairly good job of slowing Nichols down though. Farmington's offensive line is small this year. Jackson had very little trouble with them.

-- Posted by oldschoolbballer on Wed, Sep 19, 2012, at 11:12 AM
  • How is Bluff's size on O and D lines this season?

They are always packin a big bunch or guys on their line.

Any ideas?

-- Posted by Headhunt on Wed, Sep 19, 2012, at 11:32 AM
  • The quotes from Bluffs coach make it seem like they are not playing very good, or are just not good, up front on both sides of the ball.

-- Posted by BillYung on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 6:38 AM
  • well.....every Coach ha a little Bear Bryant in them.....

Mr Paul used to come out and say ...in that ole gravely voice...." we caint block, we caint tackle...I wonder whats gonna happen Saturday...

cause we sure aint looking like a football team right now"....

They'd proceed to win by 40

-- Posted by Headhunt on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 11:21 AM
  • I got a feeling now that bluff might take this one. Totally a trap game

-- Posted by Bearcats101 on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 4:30 PM

Sikeston wins 36-14.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 4:33 PM

Gibbs does not allow any game to be a trap game. He's been hammering home on PB all week about how up they will be for this game. Plus, Sikeston has kids out with illness so everyone knows they will have to pick up extra slack this week.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 4:36 PM
  • The Dogs won but that offensive line is way too small. PB's big D linemen lived in Sikeston's back field all night long.

When Sikeston meets up with a team with a really good offense they're going to be in big trouble.

The O line looks well coached but they just simply don't have the size to move people. On runs the bigger D players clogged up the holes and on pass protection the bigger D lines got great penetration. Sikeston got their touchdowns on breakaways and not by the O line making good blocks up front.

-- Posted by cadult10 on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 11:10 PM
  • sure seemed like in the sik-pb game, with five officials on the field, only one of them kept throwing the flag. Plus how many times did they get together and discuss a penalty and wave it off. Thought I was watching a pro game with replacement refs

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sat, Sep 22, 2012, at 10:06 AM

Kyland's 71 yard run was created by good blocking and making an opening by the offensive line but I do agree they are generally small. There just aren't a lot of big guys in Sikeston at the moment. Lots of athletes, not so many bruisers and some of the bigger guys are sophomores who aren't ready for full-time varsity yet. It was just a sloppy game for Sikeston and there were a lot of problems. The offensive line was only one of them. Gibbs will take the guys he has and have them as prepped as he can to face Jackson. We'll see where it all ends up.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Sep 22, 2012, at 11:44 AM
  • Here is the deal with bluff. They actually looked good and they had some answers for sikeston on defense. But bluffs offense has not performed we'll at all. And a few of those big plays just looked like blown assignments on bluffs part. But sikeston Is a good football team

-- Posted by Tigers2638 on Sat, Sep 22, 2012, at 1:15 PM
  • I agree that they're all good athletes and have tremendous talent. I missed that TD run so I'll take your word for it but from what I saw the D line of PB just basically overwhelmed the Sikeston blockers due to their size.

I saw the Sikeston kids lock up with the D line properly but couldn't really move them. They also couldn't stop that d line from just bull rushing them in pass protection. Our QB had to run to the side to pass alot.

It's just a size issue and other teams will exploit it. I do think Sikestons speed has been the saving factor so far on offense.

What I'm worried about is a defense with big D linemen,big fast linebackers and speedy safeties and cornerbacks. These are the kind of teams with good records that Sikeston will face down the line.

-- Posted by cadult10 on Sat, Sep 22, 2012, at 2:26 PM

Going to be honest. I didn't think Jackson would beat Cape. Although it looked like just extra points cost them the game, Jackson still won. Made a beleiver out of me for sure. I think Sikeston defense will compete well with both Cape and Jackson but I don't think their offense will put up enough points. I see both Jackson and Cape beating Sikeston this year. I have seen 3 games of Sikeston this year on the internet but I could be way off. I will be at Sikeston Friday night to watch them play Jackson. Should be an exciting game. Will be the first time I have been to Sikeston's football field since Caruthersville played them last there. Looking for a great atmosphere.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Sep 22, 2012, at 6:09 PM

I dont see Cape beating Sikeston this year, maybe next year when they are down on D. Also people shouldn't be down on this week bluff always has a good defensive game plan against Sikeston and usually slow them down a little bit.. Cheese I gotta say I this If sikeston can put up more than 14 they win that's what it will take In my opinion... I gotta feeling That sikeston will almost seem to know what's coming on just about every play against cape

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Sat, Sep 22, 2012, at 10:57 PM

I agree that it is going to be a low scoring game Sonic. I think that if either team hits 20 points, they will have the win as well.

Cheese, I'll be at the game Friday. Let me know where you will be at and I'll come over and say hi.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Sep 23, 2012, at 12:05 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: