Semoball

High School Football Forum: PHC vs Fredericktown

Posted by mojo3 on Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 5:19 PM:

Game for tonight postponed until tomorrow. No time set yet. Have tornado warning out right now...

Replies (28)

Everybody up there be safe.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 5:20 PM
  • Saturday, September 8th @ 4:00pm

@ Fredericktown HS.

-- Posted by zachattack on Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 6:29 PM
  • This was one of the best football games that I've ever been to. Fredericktown came up a little short, but there is absolutely no doubt that they are a credible football team and a legitimate threat.

Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9kdWPEbO6tY

I will post a few good clips of each team when I get a chance!

-- Posted by zachattack on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 8:27 AM
  • i wish i could have been there giving you crap zach!

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 1:10 PM
  • HAHA..like I said in another post, if I had to deal with games like this every Friday I'd develop an ulcer!!! hahaha

-- Posted by zachattack on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 1:27 PM
  • I hear ya Zach! I've said before I tend to like close games more than blow-outs. More later...

-- Posted by mojo3 on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 1:58 PM
  • I will pull up a video clip of it.

-- Posted by zachattack on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 3:08 PM
  • BG,

I didn't see it, but was most likely on the far left wide-out and wasn't a factor in the play itself but hurts none the less. Wanting to see on the CH18 feed, but they haven't posted it yet. Also want to see the call on Korokis's catch they called incomplete before the half. The TV guy after the game said it was good. The line judge called it a TD but the white hat over-ruled him.

And can someone explain the new helmet rule to me?

Plus, a dig to you Zach, the conversion on the last TD in OT was no good!

-- Posted by mojo3 on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 4:12 PM
  • I can't tell what it was.

The official began pointing at the center of the field as the ball was in the air. That's all I can see in the footage.

-- Posted by zachattack on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 4:47 PM
  • What quarter was that Korokis pass? I know exactly which play you are talking about....

-- Posted by zachattack on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 4:50 PM
  • I heard that if a player's helmet comes off they have to sit out a play. I'd kinda like to know about that rule too.

-- Posted by zachattack on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 4:51 PM
  • Yep, player must sit out 1 play. Same rule in college.

Happened to James Franklin during the Mizzou game last night.

Player safety deal I think.

-- Posted by nature boy on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 7:44 PM
  • I agree with keeping kids safe, but the guy in the white hat was REAL confused and confusing the fans yesterday.

Zach, the korokis play was just before FredMo's second TD. Don't remember if that was first or second quarter....

-- Posted by mojo3 on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 8:45 PM
  • The fans on the Central side didn't have a clue what was going on with that helmet thing either.

OK....I looked at the clip...a dozen times in slow-mo. He is in the air and both of his hands appear to be empty. It looks like the ball may have hit him in the chest and he fell on top of it as it hit the ground. It was kind of a dramatic play and I can see how it would look like a catch.

Then again.....this is what I "think" I see from the angle that I was at.

I'm not gonna upload the clip for the public....It could potentially stir a bunch of crap and we don't need that. Gimme your youtube username and I will upload it as a private video.

(your youtube username will be your password)

-- Posted by zachattack on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 10:45 PM
  • email it to me at zweisspro@yahoo.com

-- Posted by zachattack on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 11:31 PM
  • Mo's analysis of the game:

(I wanted to check a couple sources to be sure my fading memory was accurate. I think below is close to being right...)

Two words: Defensive slugfest.

Parks Hills:

I haven't seen a straight Tee formation run in quite awhile. Most of the running plays were run from the Tee, getting on average 5 to 6 yards per carry. Having the extra blockers in the back-field helped breaking through the Blackcat line. The Rebels mixed in a few Wildcat and spread formations with the passes they threw from a spread IIRC. But there were not very many passes. I remember maybe or four completions by PHC, but two of them counted. PHC did have difficulty getting into the Red zone, the Fredericktown defense held them to no red zone points in regulation. The overtime period being a different story. The Rebels almost exclusively ran the ball and ran it from the straight tee. I'd say 80% of their total yards were run plays and their passing yards were 90% from the two TD strikes. Give the receivers credit here, the first one was good broken tackle run after the catch speeding past all defenders. The second taking advantage of the defender's slip and fall and no one else in the area to catch him. And by using more of a run offense, they controlled the clock. Also, they stuck to a game plan and didn't get cute with the plays.

Defensively, Park Hills was just as solid if not playing better than the offense. They've got some BIG boys on that line! One was listed at 6'-5" and 290#. And they got off the ball very well. I can't count the times there were negative yards on a play especially in the early minutes. If it wasn't for the great scrambling by the Blackcat QB the defense would have had more negative yards. But as time went, the offensive line seemed to be doing a better job containing the rush. The Rebels did well defending the run, I'd say the average per carry about equal to the Fredericktown defense. Pass defense was good, with not many yards after catch made except for about four or five big plays. But, the pass yardage by Fredericktown seems high to me. Need to see some stats on that.

Fredericktown:

Another fairly balanced offensive game. There were probably an equal number of running and passing plays with more yards per play passing. As said above, Central dominated in time of possession, but I think the 'Cats did better at a "yards per minute" stat. The 'Cats were able to punch in a Red Zone TD in the second quarter after a pass and catch to Korokis was ruled incomplete, if it had been good, would have made the highlight reel for sure! The first TD was a pass from the 24 to Sawyer who did his usual great job of alluding defenders and scampered in for the TD. The plays late in the fourth after the Central fumble were great except for the false start call that negated another Gremminger to Korokis TD pass. The Rebels did a great defensive stand after that to keep the 'Cats from the end zone and outside FG range, disappointing the 'Cats couldn't repeat the TD strike there. In the OT, unfortunately Central controlled the play and did a great Red Zone stop.

Defensively, after the first few minutes, the 'Cats settled in and held Central out of the Red Zone most of the game. Central did get within 20 of the goal a few times, but the defense toughen it up and held! Now the OT period being a different story, Central beat up on the 'Cat defense there plain and simple.

Overall, the game was fairly even. As said, Central ran more runs and controlled the clock, but the total play number is probably close to even. I don't remember many turnovers, seems to have been about even. The big one being at the end of regulation giving the 'Cats the shot noted above. Few penalties were thrown, I remember a hold by Central, and illegal shift by the 'Cats and the last false start that negated the 'Cats TD with 40 or so seconds left.

The Rebel defense is good. Some speedy LB's and secondary defenders held the 'Cats too few extra yards after catch except for a few pass plays. Run defense was OK; I think the run averages for both sides are about the same.

Central's run offense is really good. You don't see the straight tee very often. The very few passes attempted included the two TD strikes and maybe one more completion. I remember maybe two or three dropped passes. Watching warm-ups, I thought the Central QB had a strong arm, but wasn't in sync with the receivers. After the game, I think passing-wise Central is probably competent, not enough to really form an opinion.

The white hat zebra was about the most scatter-brained ref I've ever seen! OK, maybe he did need five minutes to figure out the helmet rule, but over-ruling the line judge closest to the play on the Korokis "TD" catch in the second quarter? Come on! And, how long does it take to figure out who goes first for OT? I'd love to know what the conversation on the field was like then! Best line I heard in the afternoon: Is the ref a replacement ref?

Still need to check the TV feed on line sometime later.

Zach, I don't have a youtube account. May get back with you once I open one up. Can't do it from work....

-- Posted by mojo3 on Mon, Sep 10, 2012, at 11:13 AM
  • i always love the white hats who think they can call whatever they want from where ever they want. remember the guy freddy had at east prairie in 08? called a pass interference 40 yards down field from 60 yards away when the side judge was 10 feet from the play! the dexter PH playoff game had all the reffs calling stuff from across the field as well, cause i know zach will tell me to stop crying.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Mon, Sep 10, 2012, at 9:32 PM
  • Good assessment mojo3!

I have the OT possessions of both teams edited and posted on youtube, but it's unlisted at the moment.

If anyone wants to see it, email me and I'll send you the link. It is not listed in the search engines and you won't find it if you look. my email is above...

-- Posted by zachattack on Tue, Sep 11, 2012, at 5:36 PM
  • zach, did you grow a mustache?

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Tue, Sep 11, 2012, at 8:25 PM
  • I always had that.....I just did some creative styling with my beard trimmers. I look meaner on my '72 Harley with this look.

-- Posted by zachattack on Tue, Sep 11, 2012, at 8:50 PM
  • Rebels had 167 yards passing and 202 on the ground. Courtois was 6-7 for 167 and 2 TDs. Mitchell had 158 on 26 carries. Only corrections I can see to make.

Mojo=Smart guy.

-- Posted by Shortbus on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 6:29 AM
  • I was literally 5 feet from the Korokis incomplete pass. It was the correct call but that call cannot be made by that ref. I saw the ball hit the ground under him but there was no way the ref 40 yards away in the backfield could have seen that. They scored anyway so it doesn't matter as far as that goes.

-- Posted by Shortbus on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 6:37 AM
  • Mojo3.....do you mind if I post your assessment on our fb fan page?

-- Posted by zachattack on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 7:24 AM
  • I would but would like to clean it up. As Shorty says Courtois was 6 for 7, I don't remember the exact total of passes, but no denying 120 or so of those yards were the two TD passes. I'll send you a file to your e-mail posted above......

-- Posted by mojo3 on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 8:33 AM
  • Sounds good, man! That rocks!

-- Posted by zachattack on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 8:42 AM
  • that's what my problem with it is shortbus... you ask the side judge if he KNOWS that korokis caught the pass, and if he says yea, then you stick with the call.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 11:58 PM
  • I talked to Dr Emmit Brown about hopping in the Delorean and going back to distract the refs to give Fredericktown the win.......but he said something about disrupting the space-time continuum. We don't wanna do that, so I guess we have to live with the fact that they lost a heartbreaker in OT.

-- Posted by zachattack on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 12:11 AM
  • i dont have to live with NUTHIN'!

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 4:37 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: