Semoball

High School Football Forum: Is Charleston a Playoff Sleeper?

Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 12:18 PM:

We've all accepted that Caruthersville is going to win their Class 2 district. Anyone who disagrees must also have been rooting for the USSR in the 1980 Olympic Hockey games. Just ask the Caruthersville fans. (And yes I am saying that in jest). However, in the final year of the current playoff system, is there any way that one of the feel good stories of the SEMO area this season, a resurgent Charleston team, could sneak by a Malden team that has struggled this season and an underwhelming East Prairie team to take the second playoff slot? Why or why not?

Replies (12)

I think Charleston can beat Malden. Malden is not as good as they were last year and Charleston seems to be playing good football right now. Anything can happen, that's why they play the game.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 12:24 PM
  • Charelston lost two runningbacks that were pretty good, I haven't got to see Malden play but it's definitely out of those two teams for the second spot.

How's maldens defense?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 2:12 PM

I haven't seen them play in person this season but the only good team they played scored 42 points against them and that was Hayti, which has a good offense. They also gave up 24 points to Pville.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 2:26 PM
  • class 2 district 1 teams Dr.Jekyll and Ms. Hyde this year except for Caruthersville. I would say its going to be close one with all three teams. I wouldn't count out E.P. yet.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 2:32 PM

Caruthersville has something this year that they have not had in the past and that is depth on the offensive and defensive line. I remember in years past they would have a decent offense and defense but those same guys were on the field all game. This year they have 3-4 guys that they can swap out and still get the job done. If we can get a passing game together we could make a deep playoff run.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 2:41 PM
  • Didn't the team who ended your run last year lose this week? Its still way too early to be talking about play off runs, but you can see the road starting to shape up for c ville and i like their chances

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 2:54 PM

Yes the team that beat us last year lost to St. Genevieve this week. St. Genevieve lost to Dexter in week 1 28-6 or something like that. Maplewood is a good team and the #1 team in class 2 right now (Macon) has like a 77 player roster. I am sure the passing game and lack of more players will hurt us along with playing sub par competition. I guess next year since Portageville dropped us we can pick up some good team.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 3:14 PM

A class 2 team with a 77 man roster, wow! That's ridiculusly crazy!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 3:31 PM
  • At less than halfway through the season, this would be a toss up between Malden and Charleston. The only good team that Charleston has played has been Sikeston and they gave up 43 points in that contest, allowed Pville to score 48 on them, and Kennett 22. Between the two teams defensive stats they look pretty close at this point in the season. Charleston looked pretty good at the jamboree, looked much more competitive than last year. With the rumor of two lost running backs one will have to wait and see. Malden is young and I don't think they have shown their full hand in any game this year. C'ville is far above the rest of SE Mo this year and I will be really surprised if they don't make it to the final four. Gonna be some exciting football between the rest of the area teams.

-- Posted by 2longgone2 on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 4:17 PM

Hey here is the link with the Macon teams stats and stuff. They have a huge line-up of huge guys most of the guys with the high numbers that will be on the line are above 6 foot and weigh more than 250. Caruthersville still leads class 2 in rushing and is in 3rd place in all classes in rushing yards per game. THAT IS ONLY FROM MAXPREPS....not all schools report game data etc....I am sure we will run into a buzz saw in the playoffs like every year, great teams play good opponents to get themselves ready for tough games and we do not have to many of those on our schedule.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/I1A6p-zFqEi-anVx4c66XQ/macon-tigers/footbal...

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 7:05 PM
  • It's an interesting question. I'm going to say no. But my opinion could change after I see Malden.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 7:15 PM
  • Charleston is definitely improved this year, but I don't think they can get past Malden.

-- Posted by Matt Duckworth on Mon, Sep 19, 2011, at 10:37 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: