Semoball

High School Football Forum: Week 2 Football Debate

Posted by drawmules2 on Sun, Aug 29, 2010, at 2:47 AM:

The first week of the high school football season included an overtime game (Malden defeating Scott City 47-41), a football team winning its first game since Oct. 2008 (Cape Central defeating NMCC 41-6) and the only state-ranked semoball school picking up its first win of the season (Sikeston defeating Obion County 42-34).

What will happen this week football fans?

Here is this week's schedule:

Scott City @ St. Vincent, 7 p.m.

Cape Central @ Festus, 7 p.m.

DeSoto @ Perryville, 7 p.m.

Poplar Bluff @ NMCC, 7 p.m.

Caruthersville @ Kennett, 7 p.m.

Park Hills Central @ Dexter, 7 p.m.

Portageville @ Chaffee, 7 p.m.

Malden @ Hayti, 7 p.m.

Charleston @ Sikeston, 7 p.m.

Grandview @ East Prairie, 7 p.m.

Parkway South @ Jackson, 7 p.m.

I think we could see more close games this week than last week. Three games that catch my attention are Cape Central @ Festus, Malden @ Hayti and Poplar Bluff @ NMCC.

Let the debate begin.

Replies (30)

• best shoot out of the week Caruthersville vs Kennett.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Sun, Aug 29, 2010, at 7:26 AM
  • This week will tell us how good Cape is. If they handle Festus easily, they should have a good season and challenge for the district crown. The NMCC v Bluff game will also be educational. If either team wins this game handily, the loser will be in for a very long season.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Sun, Aug 29, 2010, at 11:10 AM
  • football monkey

What does Festus have this season?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Aug 30, 2010, at 2:58 AM

St Louis area teams have always been a measuring stick for SEMO clubs. What Cape cannot do is rest on last week's big win. They've gotta get at Festus early and pile on the points.

-- Posted by vincebrown on Mon, Aug 30, 2010, at 7:55 AM
  • Festus is big, and physical....may nt have the best pass attack, but have a srong run game. Were prone to a few lapses in the run D...and that was their undoing late in the game versus Farmington...Dont expect Festus to be New Madrid....different kind of team, more power, perhaps less finesse'

-- Posted by Headhunt on Mon, Aug 30, 2010, at 8:39 AM
  • I've heard that they are big and strong but lack overall team speed. Should be interesting how Cape reacts to such a big change from New Madrid.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Aug 30, 2010, at 11:02 PM
  • vince brown still works for KAPE.....not!

-- Posted by RedShirt on Tue, Aug 31, 2010, at 9:08 AM
  • Sikeston and Charleston play Friday Night, in what I am sure will be a massive slaughter by the Bulldogs. If Sikeston would somehow come out and screw this up, do not fear cause the Bluejays have a history of self destructing and giving up. I promise that if Sikeston scores more than 20+ points in the first quarter Charleston will have atleast 5 players on the sideline sitting on the bench with icebags. By the end of the game I am predicting 15 Charleston Players sitting on the bench with some type of mystery injury. The oldest game west of the Mississippi River, has now turned into the biggest mismatch of the century!

-- Posted by semofred on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 8:40 AM
  • Weatherman calling for some rain, pretty good chance on Thursday and some Friday ....slick ball, funny bounces, still a fairly young Sikeston squad, an untimely turnover......

Sikeston should be dominant in this game, but weather tends to be the great equalizer for speed........so let's let all those chickens hatch, before we start counting them .....Charleston might actualy have a little something to say about all that talk....

-- Posted by Headhunt on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 8:46 AM
  • semofred, remember that every school goes through down cycles where they struggle. In high school you do the best you can within your ability level. Not too many years ago, Sikeston's talent level was way down and Charleston's was way up and the Bluejays won a couple in a row. The Bluejay's will be competitive again, i just takes some time with as many coaching changes as they have had and probably a drop off in talent level, leadership etc. Charlestons program has a good history in football and in time will be back up. You also need to remember that their enrollment has really dropped in the last five years, down to about 200 students from over 500 in the 80's. They will be back, just try to be patient.

-- Posted by semo ref on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 10:08 AM
  • To underscore what semoref said, I have a relative who graduated from Charleston High School in 1965. There were 130 in her graduating class. Compare that to today when to the best of my knowledge Charleston will have 60-70 per class. Sikeston's most recent class had about 230 kids. Charleston is indeed in a down cycle talent-wise, but they are also losing numbers at a faster rate than the rest of the area. Most of the area public schools are seeing their enrollment drop. Twenty five years ago, considering football classification only, East Prairie and Charleston were both class 3, now they're class 2, and if I'm not mistaken Sikeston was at one time in the largest class. I think that was back when there were 5 classes. Disparity in numbers between Sikeston and Charleston and normal cycles in talent are definitely playing a role in Sikeston's recent success in this series.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 10:50 AM
  • I understand all of your points! Still I think it would be wise for the Coach to make arrangements with a local ice company to bring in a truck of ice.

-- Posted by semofred on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 11:14 AM
  • Hey semofred, I've got a better idea. How about you line up across from me in a 3pt. stance for about a quarter and see how much ice YOU will need for your "soreness" buddy. Point being: show some class, C'ton is down right now but let's not kick people when they are down my friend.

-- Posted by Hemingway on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 11:41 AM
  • I'm not kicking C'town I'm just stating an obvious fact that if you watch any of their games over the last year and during week 1. If they start loose their players give up and start coming out and sitting on the bench for the rest of the game. Simply put, I'm not going to say anymore, just wait and see on Friday night.

-- Posted by semofred on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 1:26 PM
  • Cape is clearly the team to beat this year. Simply look at their impressive winning streak.

-- Posted by Top Dawg on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 2:16 PM
  • If Cape stays healthy , and does the things they can do well....they'l get better , and be very tough all season.......cannot figure out why it took till this year, they had talent and size and speed last year too...

-- Posted by Headhunt on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 3:35 PM

Am I detecting sarcasm Top Dawg?

-- Posted by sbulldog4life on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 3:38 PM
  • headhunt it takes time to turn programs around when u do things the right way. rome was not built in a day. i guess its hard to understand until u have walked in anothers shoes. kind of the same story with the central boys basketball team. they have gotten better and will be even better this year.

-- Posted by GSP on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 7:17 PM
  • According to the roster all of those big talented kids were just juniors last season so they have had a year to develop and a year in high school makes a big difference.

Going off of that article on Sunday, Cape's coach says that they have 10 returning starters on both sides of the ball so now they have experience.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 7:34 PM
  • they have a QB now, they haven't had one in the past, that's one reason they are better now.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Sep 2, 2010, at 7:25 AM
  • dang! whats with all this hate. there is a lot of great games this week end. I am a little bit bias but the Kennett v Caruthersville will be the game of the year in the bootheel. enjoy the kids play ther hearts out. And Go Indian's .

-- Posted by mule1993 on Thu, Sep 2, 2010, at 8:10 AM
  • Oh I have been witness to walking in shoes of unsucessful teams....I think the concept is this,

there can be a spark, an unseen light that burns inside certain players. The spark cant be described, or explained, it just exists. It can be made to burn brighter,with proper guidance and motivation from coaches, the community, peers...but that spark was not created by them, the spark is internal, and self made, or it can stay steady and constant, regardless of outside influences..

Some don't have that spark, they never will.....

but when you get a bundling of players, who share that spark, and it is a constant, there will be team leadership, and success. Like all people pulling in the same direction, no stars, no me, me, me that is so prevelant in our society today , but a true concept of a team, the glow of those cumulative sparks that lead a group of players down the successful, and positive path.

It is the spark of winners. Not just in sports, but in life as well. I do think football teaches unselfishness, and what a rare characteristic that is in todays world.

-- Posted by Headhunt on Thu, Sep 2, 2010, at 8:30 AM

I have to agree with semofred, (sans the calling the local ice company lol) I think Charleston is gonna have a tough and long night in Sikeston. I understand they're rebuilding but I don't think they're there yet. BTW, nice post Headhunt.

-- Posted by sbulldog4life on Fri, Sep 3, 2010, at 8:14 AM
  • Facts are facts and tonights matchup between Sikeston vs Charleston, represents one team which has taken its program to a level not reached in quite sometime, and one program that is trying to find something to build off of. So spark or no-spark, dawgs by at least 28pts tonight.

-- Posted by Top Dawg on Fri, Sep 3, 2010, at 8:39 AM
  • All of you Bulldog fans---keep in mind that it hasn't been all that long ago that your football program was in the crapper and people were beating you around like drums. It's kind of funny to see how people talk when they are all of the sudden "respectable" again. Now all of a sudden you have the gall to talk about C'ton and the ice company--which I don't think is all that funny. And by the way, Sikeston is supposed to beat C'ton so why even get on here talking about it?

-- Posted by Hemingway on Fri, Sep 3, 2010, at 9:07 AM
  • Please refer to "has taken a program to a level not reached in quite sometime". Translation= sikeston was down now they have a solid program once again. And a prediction is just that a prediction. This site is all about high school sports, thus most of us are here to do just that. Now step back from the ledge Hemingway!

-- Posted by Top Dawg on Fri, Sep 3, 2010, at 10:32 AM
  • hey, I understand the dreggs.....I lived through 2-8 and 5-5, and was blessed with 13-1...last year..I never mentioned ice, or anything like that......dont toss us all under the bus.....as you said, Sikeston folks dont have to look too far back, to see where they were....and should be more respectful. My apologies for the masses.

-- Posted by Headhunt on Fri, Sep 3, 2010, at 11:36 AM

If you look at the history Sikeston has won more than Charleston in that matchup. Now that being said I will not knock either team or their towns.

This is a big game due to the history between these 2 teams. I hope it is played fairly and the fans behave themselves. I am rooting for the bulldogs because that is my alma matter but sometimes you win some and sometimes you lose some. Good luck to both teams tonight. After all it is just a game. Win or lose be respectful and humble. And above all have fun!

-- Posted by mightymo on Fri, Sep 3, 2010, at 3:02 PM

how bout them cape central tigers?!

-- Posted by JungleStud on Sat, Sep 4, 2010, at 10:21 AM
  • Anyone know the time of the Cape Central Obion County game next Sat. Will See how they stand up against them

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sat, Sep 4, 2010, at 2:13 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: