Semoball

High School Football Forum: High school football — Week 5

Posted by BigFrog on Wed, Sep 22, 2021, at 4:49 PM:

Happy Wednesday everyone!

We're right at the midpoint of the season, are things turning out like everyone expected?

I went 9-1 this week, bringing my total to 22-5. I seem to struggle with the Perryville teams for some reason.

Here are the high school football games for this week:

Poplar Bluff at Battle, 7 p.m.

Sikeston at Jackson, 7 p.m.

Farmington at Cape Central, 7 p.m.

East Prairie at Kennett, 7 p.m.

Caruthersville at New Madrid Central, 7 p.m.

Dexter at Doniphan, 7 p.m.

Hayti at Chaffee, 7 p.m.

Kelly at Crystal City, 7 p.m.

Malden at Scott City, 7 p.m.

Charleston at Portageville, 7 p.m.

Perryville at St. Vincent, 7 p.m.

What are your picks for this week?

Replies (20)

• Here are my picks for this week:

Poplar Bluff over Battle

Jackson over Sikeston

Farmington over Cape Central

Kennett over East Prairie

New Madrid Central over Caruthersville

Dexter over Doniphan

Hayti over Chaffee

Kelly over Crystal City

Malden over Scott City

Portageville over Charleston

St. Vincent over Perryville

-- Posted by BigFrog on Wed, Sep 22, 2021, at 4:52 PM
  • Battle

Jackson

Farmington

Kennett

NMCC

Dexter

Hayti

Kelly

Scott City

Charleston

St Vincent

-- Posted by indian73 on Wed, Sep 22, 2021, at 5:20 PM
  • BATTLE

JACKSON

FARMINGTON

KENNETT

NMCC

DONIPHAN

HAYTI

KELLY

MALDEN

CHARLESTON

SV

-- Posted by rainex on Wed, Sep 22, 2021, at 11:19 PM

Poplar Bluff

Jackson

Farmington

Kennett

New Madrid Central

Dexter

Hayti

Kelly

Malden

Portageville

St. Vincent

-- Posted by OldManFootball on Thu, Sep 23, 2021, at 7:25 AM
  • Battle

Jackson

Cape Central

Kennett

New Madrid Central

Doniphan

Hayti

Kelly

Scott City

Portageville

St. Vincent

Most up in the air: Dexter/Doniphan, Portageville/Ctown

Rest should be won handily

-- Posted by cheapseats on Thu, Sep 23, 2021, at 9:07 AM
  • Battle

Jackson

Farmington

Kennett

NMCC

Dexter

Hayti

Kelly

Scott City

Portageville

St. Vincent

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Sep 28, 2021, at 1:31 PM
  • Why are the schools from Kelly south not getting any media attention? Who is supposed to cover it now that they are not in the semoball media coverage. It will hurt them when it comes time for conference, district and all state awards.

-- Posted by RTRUTH on Tue, Sep 28, 2021, at 10:35 PM

RTRUTH - Which schools are you talking about? I've seen articles on all schools south of Kelly.. Sikeston, Charleston, Dexter, NMCC, Pville, Kennett, Malden, C'Ville, & Hayti on a weekly basis. They are all in the SEMOball coverage area.. I'm not sure what you mean by that either..

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Wed, Sep 29, 2021, at 9:33 AM
  • @ RTRUTH I like the article Southeast Missourian Overall Stat Leaders they do every week. They do it every week and never have our guys on there knowing our guys have those numbers by the end of the first quarter.

-- Posted by H@YTI_63851 on Wed, Sep 29, 2021, at 10:31 AM
  • Where are Kelly's stats? Where are Hayti's stats? Where are NMCC's stats? Where are Charleston's stats? Where are East Prairie's stats? I can't find them anywhere. Please show me how to find them on Semoball.

-- Posted by rainex on Wed, Sep 29, 2021, at 10:58 AM
  • If you look at the articles it schools from Kelly south get very small articles. These schools are not covered in the stats as well. I’m just asking why, I guess the standard democrat doesn’t do something like semoball covers for stats.

-- Posted by RTRUTH on Wed, Sep 29, 2021, at 11:05 AM

Look, you said “media attention” at first, then when I say I see articles all the time, you change it to stats. So which is it you’re upset with? Lack of media attention or lack of stats?

I don’t know why stats aren’t in there, but there are plenty of stories. I’m not even sure who’s responsible for keeping up with stats. Sometimes the sports reporter does & sometimes the school stats keeper does & sends it in.

But as far as coverage, there’s plenty.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Wed, Sep 29, 2021, at 12:58 PM
  • I have took the following out of one of the aricles this week.

"Anyone who would like to nominate a potential player of the week for a Southeast Missourian football team (Cape Central, Chaffee, Jackson, Perryville, Scott City and St. Vincent)"

There are more than 6 schools apart of southeast Missouri. out of those 6 only one is really even good. The last article I found on us was week 3 when we played one of those 6 mentioned.

-- Posted by H@YTI_63851 on Wed, Sep 29, 2021, at 1:54 PM
  • Semoball is a conglomerate made up of several area newspapers coverage area.

The Southeast Missourian covers those six teams listed.

DAR, Sikeston Standard Democrat and others are responsible for teams in their own area.

-- Posted by cheapseats on Wed, Sep 29, 2021, at 2:04 PM
  • It says a SOUTHEAST MISSOURIAN football team ... which is the NEWSPAPERS coverage teams...not the entire Southeast Missouri area...read a little more carefully next time!

-- Posted by indian73 on Wed, Sep 29, 2021, at 2:51 PM

Hayti: yap, those are for the teams in the SE Missourian’s coverage area, not semoball as a whole. Your beef is with the DDD. From what I understand, their longtime reporter recently retired & they are without. Sounds like the perfect opportunity for some folks on here whose only purpose it seems is to criticize lack of coverage to step up & be part of the solution.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Wed, Sep 29, 2021, at 3:08 PM
  • -- Posted by rainex on Wed, Sep 29, 2021, at 3:49 PM
  • Hey guys, just want to clear up some confusion.

I compile the stats and select a player of the week for the Southeast Missourian coverage area, which includes six schools: Cape Central, Chaffee, Jackson, Perryville, Scott City and St. Vincent. The other Semoball schools would fall on the sports departments at the Daily American Republic, Delta Dunklin Democrat, Dexter Statesman and Standard Democrat.

Unfortunately, the staffs of those papers are very small and compiling stats for just six teams takes a few hours. It's an arduous task each week, but I'm a stats nerd so I do it anyway.

I remember from when I was a kid playing at Chaffee, Semoball.com would always have updated stat leaders each week. I would always make sure to check the stats each week to see if I was on there (I wasn't very good, so I was usually near the bottom). I'm sure there are current kids and parents who like to look at stats as well, so I like to have that available for them. Unfortunately, I'm limited in my scope and ability, so I chose to focus on the six Southeast Missourian schools since those are the teams I cover.

Hopefully this clears some things up! I'll make a post for Week 6 here shortly.

-- Posted by BigFrog on Wed, Sep 29, 2021, at 4:09 PM
  • We have our own sport writer that does our articles for the local paper and was told he has sent some in that never has be posted or not since Alex Wallner has left. We used to get covered every week back in the day. And Me myself I still read most of the articles on here. I know there has been some changes recently and I get that.

-- Posted by H@YTI_63851 on Wed, Sep 29, 2021, at 6:30 PM
  • It says a SOUTHEAST MISSOURIAN football team ... which is the NEWSPAPERS coverage teams...not the entire Southeast Missouri area...read a little more carefully next time!

-- Posted by indian73 on Thu, Sep 30, 2021, at 1:38 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: