Semoball

High School Football Forum: Double Standard

Posted by Old School Coach on Mon, Oct 10, 2016, at 10:23 PM:

Dexter Mo. has a double standard for athletes & coaches. The athletic director states if a athlete gets an unsportman like conduct call he can not start the next game, but when two assistant coaches get unsportmanship called on them that results in the head coach being ejected, its fine for them with no consequences. What a bad example for the kids.

Replies (17)

• Valid point! But, coaches are written up by the officiating crew after any game during which the conduct occurred, and a report filed with MSHSAA, who then responds to the offending school. So, there are at least some consequences, especially if they are repeated.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Oct 10, 2016, at 11:08 PM
  • This athletic directors rule only applies to some athletes, not all equally. Some are punished & some are not. I call this a double standard.

-- Posted by Old School Coach on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 12:15 AM

Did your son get in trouble and now you want others to pay?

Are you sure wasn't punished and didn't get to coach the first plays of the game? Could've been the case. That's just like not starting, right?

Geez, we are building a world of weak minded, weak character and entitled individuals. No one would have ever worried about this back in the 80's or 90's, but we now worry about feelings and crap first. Just accept the lesson(based on punishment) and don't get on social media, message boards and other forms of SOAP BOXES to support your little darling.

Sorry, Not Sorry!

-- Posted by Kool-Aid (OH YEAHHH) on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 6:58 AM
  • If a player gets an unsportsmanlike call that results in ejection, he misses the rest of that game and the next contest. If a coach gets ejected, same thing per MSHSAA rules. If two unsportsmanlike penalties are called on sideline personnel, the head coach gets ejected because he is in charge and takes responsibility for their actions. I guarantee if a head coach has two assistants flagged, he will jump their case to try and educate them on proper behavior. Coaches and players will disagree with calls, but professional actions should be adhered to. Sports are passionate and emotional, but there is a limit to what you can get away with. The best coaches understand this.

-- Posted by semo ref on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 9:25 AM
  • welcome to Dexter

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 9:29 AM
  • I was wondering what punishments there were for coaches who get ejected. I knew the rule for players but never really thought about it for coaches. I work with a football/baseball dad from East Prairie and he told me a few years ago when they played a team the opposing coach came onto the field in the ref's face and was given a flag and kept going and was immediately ejected. I'm assuming he had to sit a game after this happened?

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 10:10 AM
  • I was just informed it was against Portageville and it wasn't last year it was two years ago. EP won on a hook and lateral (ladder) and he came onto the field about a call. I also heard this same guy had words with EP's coach after the game this year as well and some people lost their cool. Sheesh.

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 10:12 AM
  • Dexterdoesitall-your comment is bred from stupidity. You were on here last week being critical of Dexter's volleyball coach and now you're painting everyone from Dexter with the same brush.

Oldschoolcoach-I have my doubts about your statements. Could it be that the assistant coaches have been disciplined and you or your kid(s) just are not aware that it took place?

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 10:23 AM
  • I think you have me confused, I didn't say anything about Dexter's Volleyball Coach

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 10:53 AM
  • Man, after the game was over, a Dexter coach was really giving one of their players a good "coaching" at mid field. Maybe he's that players dad. Not going to mention numbers but it was the number between 25 and 27.

-- Posted by RichardTheTurd on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 12:09 PM
  • Nope. You were complaining about how Dexter was one dimensional. How they only relied on one player(in a team sport) and you commented that if they didn't play better they would be at the football game on Friday.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 12:46 PM
  • nothing at all about the coach and if you think it is not one dimensional you haven't watched any games lately

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 12:53 PM
  • You're missing the point. By stating that the team is one dimensional, you're either disparaging the other kids or the coach because it's either because the coach has said "we will play this way" or it's a case where other kids need to step up. Either way, you need to just sit back and drink a Pepsi and support the girls as I doubt you're qualified to fix the problem.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 1:58 PM
  • Have you contacted the school? Sometimes there's more to a story than what you see from the stands. A phone call is usually a good starting point.

Unless you just want to stir up the mob, which is fun too.

-- Posted by Fish on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 2:41 PM
  • I don't care much for Pepsi, it will come back to bite them it did last night.

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 2:51 PM
  • It's hard "not to start" a coach ;)

-- Posted by semo501 on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 4:14 PM
  • Dexter football is in the ditch. They need a coach bad !

-- Posted by indian70 on Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 5:09 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: