Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Gideon and Bloomfield's Shot

Posted by mistermiyagi on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 2:42 PM:

Does anyone know anything about the teams that Gideon and Bloomfield will be playing in the final four? Are Walnut Grove, Hartville, Iberia, and Stanberry as good as I have heard? Do these two teams have a shot to bring it home to SEMO?

Replies (28)

• Hartville and stanberry will win it all

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 3:31 PM
  • I've never posted on Semoball. But, I do enjoy reading a lot of the comments. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks in the Bootheel when it comes to basketball. I've attended countless games in the Semo area. While I'm watching I always enjoy a delicious bag of buttery popcorn. I've found that popcorn, and in some cases nachos, stimulate the brain and make most of us much smarter than any coach or official in the gym at that time. Hence the handle popcorn genius. I extend the best of luck to all Semo teams still lacing them up in March. And, if I were the well coached, hard working, hard guarding boys from Bloomfield. I'd welcome more and more predictions. All they keep doing is beating the odds and beating every team that they aren't supposed to during their ride to Columbia. Best of luck to all our teams still playing.

-- Posted by Popcorn Genius on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 5:05 PM
  • Popcorn are you from Bloomfield?

Just going on a limb and saying YES.

Do you guys have a great elementary program to develop all this talent you guys have?

-- Posted by Bball Fan2 on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 6:03 PM
  • Nobody around here has probably ever seen any of the other teams even play let alone thier competition. people look at records, its all a guess and who's making shots that day. crap shoot.

-- Posted by HOLYCOWMAN on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 6:09 PM
  • Seen Hartville this summer in Dexter. They were pretty dang good. They beat everyone I'm thinking even us the first time but we won the 2 nd time.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 6:23 PM
  • Bball, I'm sure Bloomfield has boat loads of elementary parents that think their kid is the next Michael Jordan just like every other basketball expert/parent that posts on here. I simply wished good luck to the teams still playing. And, that includes Bloomfield who has been an under dog in most of their games on their way to state. Can you fire up some jiffy pop and give us your predictions so we will know what to expect?

-- Posted by Popcorn Genius on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 6:47 PM
  • You can watch stanberry on mosports, they are big for a class 1 school

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 6:54 PM
  • I don't understand why everyone thinks Bloomfield is such a bad team. They are 28-3 for a reason and its not because their schedule was easy. They made it to state because they are good. If they play as well as they did against woodland they have a great chance at winning state. Another thing you have to point out is that Bloomfield is good at defense. I don't think any team they have played against has got more than 52 points. Regardless I think that the Wildcats have a good shot at winning State.

-- Posted by TheLennyFeder on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 8:35 AM

Woodland scored 58 against them but I agree. Bloomfield has good defense and they take care of the ball and are very smart on offense. They will surprise Como.

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 8:58 AM
  • Bloomfield and Gideon have almost the same style of play, really good defense, very patient on offense, move the ball really well. I think both teams will be in the final, and hopefully they're able to bring a state championship back home.

-- Posted by semoredhawk24 on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 9:30 AM
  • I watched Hartville play Ellington at the Current River Challenge. Both teams were ranked in the top 10 at the time and was projected to be a very good game. Hartville DISMANTLED Ellington by 30. Hartville plays tough full court man to man. They "run and jump" press also. They have kids that can shoot the lights out. They are my pick to win the whole thing. I would like to see Bloomfield win it, but I think they will have a tough time matching up with the size they will play in the semi-finals.

-- Posted by navinjohnson on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 9:43 AM
  • Hartville beat fellow class 2 final 4 finalist Iberia by 30 as well. Bloomfield should beat Iberia; however, it's Hartville's championship to lose.

-- Posted by sugga8264 on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 10:16 AM
  • Anything can happen. The thing that Bloomfield has going for them is that they guard well. That will keep them in the game. They also handle the ball pretty well. It will come down to who plays the best.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 10:24 AM
  • I agree Ozzy. It's no fluke that Bloomfield is where they are. If Bloomfield and Hartville do meet in the finals I can see a game with a combined score in the 60-70 point range.

-- Posted by navinjohnson on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 10:37 AM

No one has scored 60 on Bloomfield all season, they didn't seem to have too much trouble against woodlands size considering the 2 wins, one very convincingly. If they play their style of defense Iberia may struggle. Hartville may have beat Ellington by 30, but Clopton beat Ellington by 5, and Bloomfield best Clopton by 20+. So that argument doesn't mean much, hartville and Bloomfield play a very similar game from what I've heard. It'll come down to who shows up in Columbia.

-- Posted by mistermiyagi on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 10:39 AM

Hartville also beat Class 3 final 4 team Mountain Grove by 10 but Hartville lost to an average Salem team by 32 so anything is possible.

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 11:08 AM
  • Hartville beat Salem by 22(89-57) according to MSHSAA website.

-- Posted by Flyers20 on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 11:31 AM

89-57 would be 32 and maxpreps has Salem winning it.

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 12:35 PM
  • -- Posted by unclegrubworm on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 12:46 PM
  • haha sorry my math is off :/

That's weird, mshsaa has Hartville winning.

http://www.mshsaa.org/Schools/SportsAndActivities/Schedule/?s=314&alg=5

-- Posted by Flyers20 on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 1:53 PM

Yeah I would go with MSHSAA lol. Anybody can post a score on maxpreps haha

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 3:00 PM

Correct score is in salemnewsonline link above.

Hartville won.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 3:38 PM
  • I was told by a coach froend of mine that a full squad Hartville beat a full squad Sikeston team easily at a team camp last summer. I believe him as his team was there also. For what its worth.

-- Posted by Semoball68 on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 4:37 PM
  • Walnut Grove beat Iberia 65-61 this year. That would be the game footage I would want to use to scout if I were Gideon's or Bloomfields coaches.

-- Posted by semolian on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 5:54 PM

Puxico also went 22-1 in the summer of 2014 and they were poised for a huge year.... Right??

-- Posted by mistermiyagi on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 6:40 PM
  • Wishing Gideon Bulldogs and Bloomfield Wildcats the best of luck! We are cheering you on, go and represent!!! Final Four

-- Posted by volleballfan on Wed, Mar 9, 2016, at 10:47 AM
  • Summer performances mean absolutely nothing when trying to project regular season success. Usually, it is the fans, parents, and even players of losing programs who will brag about how many teams they beat in the summer. If anyone uses a summer record as their reason for why they think they will have a good season, they automatically lose credibility and come off as a "wanna be" in my book. Call me a judger if you want, but I call it labeling.

With that being said, good luck to Gideon and Bloomfield! Hope they bring 1st place home!

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Mar 9, 2016, at 11:14 AM
  • Iberia is big but can they run? Clopton seemed to want to play a slower 2-3 zone which didn't work when Bloomfield ran them. By halftime Cloptons boys were out of breath. Bloomfield also held their leading scorer to 9 points, 3 of which came from a buzzer beater half court shot at the end of the first half. Those were the only points he scored in that first half. If Bloomfield can play speed to their advantage, they should win tomorrow.

-- Posted by semolian on Wed, Mar 9, 2016, at 11:38 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: