Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Sikeston Girls Basketball

Posted by bcomer2016 on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 9:56 AM:

Where is the coverage of the Sikeston Girl's team Senior Night?? A team that is also going for 20 wins doesn't deserve a reporter to cover the game? I belief history was made because Sikeston beat Festus 71-37 for their 20th victory giving them back to back 20 win seasons for the first time in the program's history. IMO, it is very disrespectful to the team and the coaches who have busted their butts on an amazing season to not get any recognition. I know all the district tournaments are going on but those tournaments are in the early stages. Congrats to the girls and the coaching staff. Coach Schonhoff and his staff has completely turned that program around and hopefully they will cap this season with a great run in districts. Great JOB!!!

Replies (34)

• Consider this, Semoball covers roughly 60 high schools in our small part of southeast Missouri alone. Dozens more are discussed on these forums.

Sikeston girls have gotten a LOT of coverage on Semoball, especially from the Standard Democrat. I can't name another girls team that gets more. But newspapers have limited resources and it is district playoff time. I'm certain no sports reporters took yesterday off.

But if you're still upset, remember this is 2016. We don't have to wait for the news to cover our favorite teams. We can cover them ourselves and share the stories on Facebook, twitter, and even right here on Semoball. You can even submit pictures. The people who care will see it, and celebrate it.

Good luck to the Sikeston girls and boys moving forward.

-- Posted by Fish on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 10:31 AM
  • Hopefully there will be an article later today perhaps. I was at the game lasnite and it miteve been their most complete game of the year, every facet of the game they performed very well. They beat highly ranked Lutheran St Charles in Dec but lasnites performance was even better than that game. It was just five or six yrs ago that the program was only winning a handful of games a year so I agree they have really turned things around to where they are a top SEMO area team, probly #4 behind Dex, Sax and Jax. Hey thats a great name for a band or somethin. Dex, Sax n Jax haha!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 10:37 AM
  • I don't care about how much coverage they got earlier in the season. The game last night should have been covered. I am not from Sikeston but keep up with Sikeston sports because my father attended school their in the 60's. The girls accomplishments of last night should have been covered by ONE their LOCAL NEWSPAPER REPORTERS. Someone dropped the ball and it's disrespectful. I guarantee you the boy's team will have a two page spread Thursday and especially Friday when they have Senior night agaisnt DeSoto.

-- Posted by bcomer2016 on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 10:41 AM
  • Oops forgot about Park Hills, so i wood rank Dawgettes #5 if we include the area that far north

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 10:42 AM
  • The local newspaper doesn't have a Tuesday edition. I'm sure they will have something in the Wednesday paper.

-- Posted by trainhard on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 11:09 AM
  • So, because your father attended Sikeston over 5 decades ago, that give you the right to attack our local paper and sports writers? Because you feel slighted? Using all caps really gets your point across, by the way. I strongly doubt any of the coaches feel slighted in the least. They aren't playing for a write up in the paper. They aren't playing for the approval of an out-of-towner who uses all caps. They are playing for a district title. Now, i'm just assuming here, so "a$$-u-me" right? But, I think you took care of that first part, so no worries huh? #nocaps #hashtag #poundsign

-- Posted by ihateAZ on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 11:16 AM
  • I always suspected that Sikeston's girls had untapped potential. Often it only takes one good team to get younger kids excited about playing a sport. Just hard to get that first group going sometimes. I expect them to continue to put decent teams on the floor for awhile.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 11:22 AM
  • Boys don't play Friday.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 11:46 AM
  • ihateAZ....back from the hinterland? How long has it been since you posted? Did you even remember your password??

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 12:50 PM
  • Capital b or lowercase?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 1:09 PM

Definitely lower case... VERY LOWER CASE!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 1:37 PM
  • What I said was the truth. Like it or not it's the truth. I am not looking for approval from anyone AZ. I am simply stating they should have gotten some recognition. Hopefully something is in the paper. Apparently Sikeston's fans need to wake up and go see this team play. They are good, really good.

-- Posted by bcomer2016 on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 2:08 PM
  • Jackson's girls bball team is the same way. The only get coverage when they lose.

-- Posted by Ohweeohahaha on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 2:15 PM
  • Also not trying to knock the Lady Sikeston Bulldogs but their schedule is pretty weak. Just looking at it 20 wins should have been expected if they won 20 last season, but that's just one man's opinion.

-- Posted by Ohweeohahaha on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 2:19 PM
  • bcomer2016,

So you are not from Sikeston? You keep up with Sikeston sports because your father attended school there, not "their"? How do you know that they are good, really good?

The boys team will get recognition because it is the boys team. That is in no disrespect to the girls team from Sikeston. Sikeston boys have been doing this for quite a few years in a row not just two seasons in a row. Also, watching girls basketball is like watching paint dry. That includes any level that they are playing. High school, college and even the pros are the same way.

You are a player on Sikeston or a parent of a player on the team. Nobody, and I repeat NOBODY, gets this disgruntled about girls basketball except someone that has ties to the program.

You do not need my approval, but I agree something should be in the paper; however, a two page article is warranted for a team that won by 34 points against a team that is not even from this area. Maybe if both teams were from around here maybe. But like other posters pointed out, district basketball is in full swing for classes 1-3 and that holds a little more weight than a regular season girls game. You will probably get your feathers a little more ruffled when they shine the spot light on the boys team when they play Jennings tomorrow night. I guarantee you that that game will get tons of coverage. Why? Because 2 top 10 teams in the state facing off....and it's boys basketball.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 2:30 PM
  • Thanks for playing Red. Senior Night should have been covered. Thanks for being so descriptive about watching a girls game. You are such a great supporter of your school and town. Again no affiliation to this team. Glad I could shed some light on this. Enjoy the rest of basketball. Goodbye!

-- Posted by bcomer2016 on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 2:36 PM
  • bcomer2016,

You can ask any poster on here, I am not from Sikeston nor do I claim to be. Thank you for playing as you type from your computer class at Sikeston High School.

I must have missed it...was senior night covered at Charleston? What about New Madrid? Gideon? Risco? I can go all day where there were not reporters reporting SENIOR NIGHT. I have narrowed my selection down to you being a senior on that team or you having a senior girls player on the team.

Thanks for playing. Buh-bye

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 2:45 PM
  • Lol.. Redsandguy taking it to ol bcomer2016

-- Posted by Ohweeohahaha on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 3:07 PM
  • bcomer2016, if your seniors didn't get enough coverage and respect (which they deserve)just have coach Schonholff give our Dexter announcer-Lloyd Hyten- a shout and he will give the girls a little extra on the P.A when introduced at the game Thursday night. that's how we are over here , wouldn't mind at all. It's our Sr. night as well, and I'm sure we will have some coverage.

-- Posted by lbearcatfan on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 3:29 PM
  • I, personally, hadda great time at lasnites game! The dawgettes were raining 3's, zipping passes around and blocked several shots! Sometimes the gals are fundamentally more sound than the guys and its kinda the way hoops was meant to be played. I know itsa slower pace than the guys game but in my book, its still fun to watch. If sikes can somehow play awesome vs Dex on thurs it will be a VERY exciting game, but man Dexter is tough!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 7:09 PM
  • Ciri,

Is the Sikeston girls vs Dexter girls a makeup game? Just wondering why the ADs would schedule two district teams so close to district playoffs.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 7:39 PM
  • Redsandguy,

Dexter vs. Sikeston is not a makeup game. For some reason they always play each other the last game of regular season.

I believe this game will be extremely good!!! Both teams have had both good and bad games. I know both teams are preparing hard for this game. Both teams will have to come out with their best, because any given night either team could come out on top.

FauxEinstein,

I wouldn't say Sikestons schedule is weak. That is brought up a lot of times when a team does good. Why not just say great job and move on. Weak schedule is a weak argument. Sikeston has played some great teams. 20 wins is an accomplishment. You get that by being a great team, not by playing a weak schedule.

-- Posted by LayBay16 on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 9:03 PM
  • I think they save this game for this week because remember all the class 1, 2, and 3 schools are in district play so Dexter and sikeston don't have many options for games this week.

-- Posted by impax21 on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 9:07 PM
  • Sikeston vs Dexter girls: If you look at the numbers when playing common opponents the numbers are in Dexter's favor, but when these 2 play you can probably throw out the numbers. Might be a barn burner, might even have to do it 2 times.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 9:45 PM
  • Might have to do what two times?

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 10:46 PM
  • Play each other twice, one regular schedule and once in dist.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 10:54 PM
  • I agree its very strange that they sched the game as the last one before distrix but its probly always been that way. Last year sikes hung close til midway thru the last qtr. Then a week later in dist champ Dexter pretty well dominated and won going away.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 11:10 PM
  • Congrats to Sikeston on playing a very good game tonight.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 9:02 PM
  • Who one the Dexter Sik game and score

-- Posted by lastride67 on Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 9:29 PM

-- Posted by lastride67 on Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 9:30 PM

-- Posted by lastride67 on Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 9:30 PM
  • Sikeston 74-66

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 9:55 PM
  • Yes!! Congrats to Dawgettes on a MONUMENTAL win over arch rival Ladycats!! Both teams played extremely hard and it was neck and neck to the end. If they meet in district final it could be an epic battle!

Congrats Mrs T on ur son's dunk at the boys game!! Here's the clip!!

https://t.co/11m2TkXNvi?ssr=true

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 10:54 PM
  • Awesome clip! Thanks for posting ciri!

Congrats TFA!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Feb 26, 2016, at 12:47 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: