Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: NBA St. Louis Hawks

Posted by Bogey Man on Wed, Jan 20, 2016, at 7:30 AM:

http://www.semoball.com/forums/otherprosports/thread/9752

I bumped this from the "Other Pro Sports" at the bottom of Semoball forums. I thought some might find the history interesting.

Replies (4)

Wish I would have been around to see the hawks.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Jan 20, 2016, at 9:24 AM
  • Met Bob Pettit a few years ago in St. Louis. He and Cliff Hagan were two of my favorites. Buddy Blattner was the announcer of the Hawks in those days. I remember when they drafted Lennie Wilkens, and he was in the military and that hurting the team. I hated it when they moved, but that is the way of professional sports, making money is their prime motivation. The late and great Win Wilfong from Puxico was a rookie of the year in the NBA.

-- Posted by SEMO747883 on Wed, Jan 20, 2016, at 12:44 PM
  • Wilfong was on the Hawks NBA championship team in 1957, but was "not" rookie of the year.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Jan 20, 2016, at 6:15 PM
  • Remember the Hawks well and the players you mentioned in your post. They played several "home" games in Memphis that would be televised on KPLR with Harry and Skip Caray announcing. Of the players you mentioned, saw Joe Caldwell play in Sikeston in 1971 when he was with the Carolina Cougars of the ABA. The Memphis Pros played a couple of games there that year.

-- Posted by tmm224 on Thu, Jan 21, 2016, at 4:51 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: