Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Gearing up for hoops!

Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Sat, Oct 31, 2015, at 9:38 PM:

Well, the wait is almost over for all of the SEMO high school hoops fans! This coming Monday will officially mark the beginning of practices for most of the area high school basketball teams in SEMO. Plenty of excitement is already stirring around the Sikeston tournament and all of the returning and up coming talent. I've looked for information on the Sikeston tournament and can't find any dates for 2015. Can anyone inform us on the dates?

Replies (93)

• Listed on Jacksons website as starting Dec. 7

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Oct 31, 2015, at 10:13 PM

December 7-11

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Sat, Oct 31, 2015, at 10:19 PM

Thanks! Looking forward to that!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Sat, Oct 31, 2015, at 11:15 PM
  • Anyone have Sikeston's basketball schedule yet or where you can find it?

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 8:33 AM

Basically the same as last year just flip home and away. Not playing Washington and Ste. Gen since those were pick up games due to weather

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 8:48 AM

Basically the same as last year just flip home and away. Not playing Washington and Ste. Gen since those were pick up games due to weather

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 8:48 AM

Does anyone know the schedule for the Riverbend shootout?

-- Posted by gregbrown80 on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 1:30 PM

Who's at NMCC to help Word this year? It's apparent they'll have some adjustments to make losing Jimmerson. Word is tough, not a lot of size, but tough! He'll definitely need some other scorers who can draw defensive attention.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 3:14 PM
  • The only game I know for sure at the Riverbend Classic is Charleston and Vashon at 6:00 Friday.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 4:44 PM

I still think NMCC is the team to beat in that district. First of all Word is probably the best true PG NMCC has had since Tipler. Then both Chris Farr and Deon Jenkins were instrumental in NMCC's state run. NMCC also had a lot of younger guys who didn't get to play varsity or play much V time because of all the seniors, and the JV team was really good. Look for players like Palmer Campbell, Craig Beasley, Ronnie King, and others to have big years. Also have heard some talk that we might have some players back who haven't played in a couple years. But I think this will be another exciting year for the NMCC Eagles!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 7:21 PM
  • Any teams to look for to maybe make a State run?

-- Posted by semofan1738 on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 7:36 PM
  • My pre season top 5!

1. Jackson

2. Sikeston

3. NMCC

4. Charleston

Tie for 5. Cape and pb

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 7:54 PM

Sounds great, Buck. It will be interesting to see! Last year's Sikeston tournament didn't play out anything like many of us predicted. LOL For what it's worth, I think Sikeston will be probably the best in the area. Jackson will be tough depending on who they're playing. A team with quick physical guard play will beat Jackson but if you slow the game down you'll be in trouble on the boards. Jackson has shooters and size but will struggle in the back court against quicker guards. Charleston will always come to play! You never know what they'll come out with.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 8:11 PM

Tiger pride, Sikeston will have the best shot but there may be couple teams from SEMO at state this year.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 8:12 PM

I agree. It's gonna be a fun year, I'm glad basketball is here!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 8:22 PM
  • We return 2 guards from last years Quarterfinal team. They are seasoned and will be ready to go along with the size we are again blessed with! Another junior guard got some good time last year as well and he is a tough, hard nosed kid also!!

Also a surprise at guard will be Stephen Irons! He's come a long way since last year!

I don't think our guards are a weak spot at all!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 8:33 PM

I.P. I don't think I called them weak. I simply pointed out where they're vulnerable and it's only against certain match ups. Look back and see who they lost to last year. Who beat them at the Sikeston tournament last year?

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 8:45 PM

Did Garrett Walker return? He didn't participate in any summer events and coaches said his return was uncertain. He didn't have much interest in being part of the team this summer.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 8:48 PM
  • Weak/vulnerable you can pick the word but you're splitting hairs on the definition!

A loss in the SEMO conference tournament in the second game last year is a long way from what Jackson was by the end of the year! The historically quick physical guard play you speak of was not a deterrent to their success last year. SCC, Charleston, Sikeston etc. were no match for Jackson last year!

Regarding Walker, I can't speak for his personal situation this past summer.

I do know however that Garrett Walker, the starting PG from last years Class 5 Quarterfinal team, will be back and a huge part of the team this year!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 10:44 PM

Jackson had a good young big guy last year right!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 10:50 PM
  • Yes Buck! Cameron Hester. Look for him to be a really good player this year! And only a sophomore this year. Big things in the future for him I think! No pun intended! Haha!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 10:55 PM

Ok, IP. I'm talking about those teams this year. You know that Sikeston fell a part last year and Charleston had one player w extensive varsity experience. I don't think Jackson even played SCC so not sure how they were no match. I'm only giving my opinion on the break down of the teams in this area. I didn't request a debate w you. We disagree so there you have it.

Buck, yes Cameron Hester is a sophomore this year and will be a beast to compete with!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 10:56 PM

Only a sophomore!? Wow! Can't wait to watch him (as well as whole Jackson team) this year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 11:04 PM
  • Yeah we played SCC last year in the Christmas tournament.

Not sure of the score but not close!!

You are right about the others last year but they still had the quick physical guards you talk about.

We shall see about this year but I like our chances!

I like our debates and like you Im ready for hoops!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 11:14 PM
  • Thanks as always Buck and the same about NMCC and what they have to add with Word!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 11:15 PM

Just for the record, I'm not against Jackson. Just giving my opinion.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 11:45 PM
  • IP and JSTT, I remember Jax beating Charleston by 40ish twice last year! I also recall them hammering SCC by 30 something in the Christmas Tournament.

-- Posted by semofan1738 on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 6:33 AM
  • I know that JSTT. Just giving my opinion as well!

That sounds about right TigerPride03.

But this is a new year and we have to be ready again!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 7:22 AM
  • Based on returning varsity starters, Charleston and Sikeston should be the teams to beat this year. A lot of the traditionally strong teams like Jackson, Cape, NMCC, Kennett, Notre Dame, Bernie, SCC, etc., have a lot of holes to fill. We all know good JV doesn't always equate to varsity success. Although if the freshman kid from Bluff is as good as advertised, watch out for the Mules!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 10:56 AM
  • who does cape have returning that saw a lot of varsity minutes last year besides Young and Chisom? Didn't they have a Nikylus Thompson kid, or did he graduate?

-- Posted by uptobat on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 11:42 AM

I think Nikylus Thompson transferred to Malden, but I'm not an expert on the topic. 5'10" WR on the football team now.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 12:38 PM
  • My preseason (subject to change through the season)

1.Sikeston-With Thatch & Dyes & company, they should be a force in the SEMO Conference.

2.Charleston-With the varsity experience on their side, Sharp & company should be somewhere near the top of the conference all year.

3.Jackson-With soph Hester in the middle and the talent surrounding him, they should be solid. I can see them really coming together the 2nd half of the season.

4.Cape-With Young & Chisom returning and the talent surrounding them, they'll be a tough game for any team in SEMO.

5.PB-Lucas & Leech will be a tough duo for any team in the area. They're another team that I can see really coming together the 2nd half of season.

This is just my preseason opinion, can't wait until Semo Conference tournament, we all will have a better idea who's the top teams in the area.

-- Posted by Tmarlo on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 2:13 PM
  • TMarlo,

You mentioned Thatch and Dyes...is Kevin Jones playing basketball this year? I heard a lot about him but haven't seen him play yet. What about the Branch kid too?

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 3:37 PM

I think Kevin will earn more respect quickly once the season gets started. Branch will more than likely see more JV time than varsity. He's a pretty good sophomore guard.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 3:54 PM
  • Sikeston nmcc Charleston cape pb top 5

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 4:18 PM
  • TMarlo, I think Lucas graduated for Bluff.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 5:54 PM
  • Willie Lucas is a junior this year Preacher Man.

-- Posted by leftyjay on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 6:13 PM
  • PMF, I'm pretty confident Lucas was only a sophomore this past season

I'm really interested to see how a lot of the top teams do after losing some of the top talent in the area.

ND loses Poythress along with about 10 other guys

NMCC loses Jimmerson

Charleston loses Bogan

Cape loses Statam

Bluff loses Stocks and several other players

Jackson loses Reynolds and Wendel along with a couple other contributors

This year we'll be able to see a lot of new and young talent emerge from many of the top teams in the area and I can't wait to watch it!

-- Posted by semo501 on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 6:19 PM
  • Redsand-Yes Kevin Jones will be a big part this year for the bulldogs, I mentioned Thatch & Dyes because of their contributions on varsity last year.

PM-Wille Lucas is a jr this year.

-- Posted by Tmarlo on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 8:27 PM
  • Thompson did transfer to malden

-- Posted by Ramfanman on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 9:57 PM
  • Teams in Riverbend Classic, although I don't have schedule:

NMCC

Charleston

Kennett

Scott Co

Liberty Tech

West Memphis

Covington

Vashon

Not sure I have the spelling correct, but you get the idea.

-- Posted by MayorEagle on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 5:44 AM
  • How the SCAA going to shake out ? Opinions ?

-- Posted by Hightops on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 7:46 AM

Gee, I wonder who we are scheduled to play this year: the Golden St. Warriors?!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 8:01 AM

What is our enrollment? Please.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 8:03 AM

Vashon should be fun to watch. That is going to be a tough Class 4 team.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 8:06 AM
  • Straight...I get what you are saying, but do you want Charleston to play NMCC or Kennett at the Riverbend? It seems reasonable for the MO teams not to play one another...especially since the teams probably are scheduled to play during the regular season.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 8:35 AM
  • I think Kennett's team will surprise a few people this year. Solid lineup 10 deep. Lots of athletic 6 footers and a 6'5 post kid that has skills.

-- Posted by tribe man on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 9:37 AM
  • You can tell it's basketball season. Rocket689 is alive and posting.

-- Posted by trainhard on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 9:43 AM

It's cool. We are: Charleston. I get it; but I find it, um, peculiar how some schools that are probably three times our size mentions what happened to us when we played them...geez, good win. Imagine if we scheduled Zalma or Oak Ridge in a regular season contest; we would never hear the end of it if we mentioned our margin of triumph, etc. Imagine if we scheduled an eight man squad in football, or the like...let's just keep things realistic & in perspective, please, to all my fellow southeastern Missouri people on here...if we start mentioning hardware; then the "you guys should be humble" posts start to flow our way-Jiminey Crickets. We are BY FAR the smallest school in perhaps one of the, year in & year out, best basketball conferences in the state; can you dig it? ... just be cool(er) about things...GO EVERY TEAM FROM SEMO (less Sikeston...just kidding)...*wink*

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 9:54 AM
  • Straight.... I think its a compliment that your mentioned with the Bigger schools. You have become a victim of your own success, its a respect thing. In broader terms its like the St. Louis Cardinals. They are the team other National League teams are measured agianst, and they are a mid market team. Alot of schools wish they had your problem ..

-- Posted by Hightops on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 10:00 AM

I think Straight is referring to the Jackson fans bragging on beating them by 40 last year. Of course we all know last year was a unique year for the blue jays as they were forced to play 3 freshman on their varsity with only one real veteran player. I'm sure that story line won't play out the same this year.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 10:49 AM
  • Yep, trainhard! My favorite time of the year!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 10:58 AM
  • Thanks for setting me straight! I was confusing Stocks for Lucas.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 11:10 AM
  • Also, speaking of Kennett, who is going to coach the boys varsity this season? I read in the Semoball article that Coach Vaughn will now be coaching the girls varsity with the sudden resignation of the current girls coach.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 11:15 AM

I apologize, folks, for going: George Thorogood & The Destroyers-Bad To The Bone, on SEMOBALL...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 1:57 PM
  • He is doing both preach, I imagine when there is a conflict Mrs. Vaughn will coach the game. He is doing practices. She is very capable and is serving as the assistant coach and she is the new girls softball coach, so the kids are all comfortable with them both and will be as settled as possible considering.

-- Posted by tribe man on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 3:04 PM
  • -- Posted by Tmarlo on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 3:49 PM
  • Anyone know how good Dexter will be this year? Who did they lose last year? One thing is for sure, Coach Dowdy will have them ready and playing hard all season long.

-- Posted by cardinalnation on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 4:40 PM
  • Valley football could beat them all.

-- Posted by C.R. on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 6:33 PM
  • Cardinalnation, Dexter lost two seniors who were starters, but neither of them were big scorers. Dexter should be better than last year, but we still don't have enough speed to compete with Charleston and Sikeston and not enough height to compete with Jackson, Cape, or ND. You just can't coach size. The Bearcats will have to get it done with defense and outside shooting.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 7:00 PM
  • C R, Your big Ole Valle football players might have their tounges hanging out after a quarter with the likes of Charleston or sikeston.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 7:02 PM
  • C R, Your big Ole Valle football players might have their tounges hanging out after a quarter with the likes of Charleston or sikeston.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 7:02 PM
  • -- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 7:00 PM

I don't ever recall Dexter having the speed of Charleston or Sikeston, but I do recall Dexter beating those teams in the past.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 7:29 PM
  • Sikeston will be very talented

Thatch , Jones, and Kimble strong combo

-- Posted by GodBlessYou43 on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 7:35 PM

All New Madrid affiliated products (and Dyes), wish they'd come back lol.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 7:59 PM
  • I don't even care about valle. But they get brought up in every discussion. I just thought they should in this one also.

-- Posted by C.R. on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 8:29 PM

JSU just had their first game of the year. It was an exhibition game and JSU won 110-61, which they should. The three Semo products combined for 30 points. Bogan with 15, Tucker with 8 and Statem with 7. Not to bad. As a basketball fan no matter what team you support, you have to respect and give credit to these young men who have taken their talents to the division 1 level. Congrats guys!

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 9:40 PM

To add to that Willie Jimerson in his second game for State Fair had 20 points, 7 assists, and 7 rebounds in the win, and was named player of the game. State Fair is 2-0 on the season so far.

Great to see local guys doing well!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 9:49 PM
  • Looked like a great start for the bootheel boys at the next level.

-- Posted by reject on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 5:44 AM

It would be sweeter if all these guys were at Southeast MO St. U!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 6:10 AM

Maybe Jimmerson will come home after 2 years at juco! Rick Ray needs to be working on that relationship now.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 6:42 AM
  • I think a lot of folks would love for SEMO to get some of these local kids.

-- Posted by Beef O'Brady on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 10:32 AM
  • I believe SEMO can compete getting some of our local kids. I am not saying they can win with all SEMO high school players but they can have some in the rotation no doubt.

-- Posted by lhs06 on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 11:42 AM

After, Jimmerson finishes his two years of Juco he's going to start where ever he goes. So, like I previously stated SEMO would be smart to get on that now! He's going to be a great PG somewhere!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 11:53 AM
  • Local kids that can play on that level are not to interested in SEMO,because SEMO doesn't show them no interest. And I don't blame these kids, out of state schools and schools that are even in their conference recruits them harder than SEMO it's been going on for years. Jacksonville st has Bogan,Tucker,and Statem all in the same conference ,Austin Peay offered Chris Stocks last year but he decided to go prep. I don't even think they offered Thatch yet , but he has offers from Mizzou and Tulsa, or even Porter, or even Leech. SEMO just doesn't want SEMO kids. I would love to see SEMO keep local talent ,but I don't see it happening any time soon.

-- Posted by Tmarlo on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 11:58 AM

I would definitely say this used to be true, or it greatly appeared that way, but I wouldn't say that for Ray yet. He hasn't even been there long enough or have a big enough sample size to form an opinion on his recruiting or the areas he recruits. So we will see, but I just can't make big broad "SEMO does this" statements yet.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 12:05 PM
  • I went to a few semo games last year. Guess what!?! Getting a semo kid will get people in the STANDS! Look at last year. Jones from Sikeston went there as a walk on and there was as much or more love given to him then anyone else on the team. Why? Niches from HERE. You guys have said it before, get some SEMO area players and SeMo will start getting better. AND they will put people in the stands. Until then, don't even think SeMo has a shot at recruiting any kids. Thatch is too big time for SeMo. Right now I don't see a guy in our local area that would go to SeMo. They should've taken Bogan or Jimerson.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 12:10 PM
  • Not niches...because he's from HERE*

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 12:11 PM
  • Buck I see what you're saying, Ray just might recruit from this area, but if they don't offer the 3 names I mentioned above then I can't say anything going to change far as recruiting local talent.

-- Posted by Tmarlo on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 12:16 PM

I'll give you that Tmarlo, you make a good point. It'll be interesting to see SEMO's approach to Thatch and Leech.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 12:45 PM

Rick Ray, before he was fired was bringing in his best recruiting class that Mississippi State had seen in a while. Dude was an SEC coach so he must know something. Give the man at least 2 years to start noticing things like local recruitment. Rather its local or non local players, I'm sure Rick Ray will bring in some talent.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 12:58 PM
  • It's not like Jacksonville St. and AP are very good, heck as bad as Semo has been the past few years those 2 teams were worse. Semo will be on the rise in the next couple years with Ray. I think he will be able to recruit be it local kids or not.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 1:09 PM
  • PatK, you're absolutely correct. The only time local talent ever helped SEMO was when they were DII.

The fact of the matter remains, there is not a lot of players coming out of southeast Missouri that make a huge impact at the D1 level.

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 4:31 PM
  • I know this is a bb thread but I'm gonna throw this out there anyway ,the delta news reported semo had two coaches on the malden sideline last week watching Thompson and that they had offered him

-- Posted by Ramfanman on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 6:24 PM

Jimerson almost had a triple double tonight with 18/9/9 as State Fair improves to 4-0

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Nov 7, 2015, at 7:13 PM
  • Great to hear he is doing well!!

Would have expected nothing less!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Nov 7, 2015, at 7:49 PM
  • SEMO at DII - the good ol' days. When the Sho-Me Center was full and rockin'. How I long for those days.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Sat, Nov 7, 2015, at 7:59 PM
  • Anyone know about Tyus Banks very talented fella at SCC

-- Posted by GodBlessYou43 on Sat, Nov 7, 2015, at 8:57 PM
  • I am being told that Akeem Nelson is at Kennett practice and is doing well. He is a difference maker. With him, gives Kennett a big boost. They are 10 deep and quick. Not very big but does have 6'5 Jad Kinney back, a junior. I think they will be very competitive. Have Caruthers kid back and of course, QB athlete Eddie Wilson. They will be able to guard and that makes them a threat.

-- Posted by bball79 on Sun, Nov 8, 2015, at 10:29 AM
  • I am being told that Akeem Nelson is at Kennett practice and is doing well. He is a difference maker. With him, gives Kennett a big boost. They are 10 deep and quick. Not very big but does have 6'5 Jad Kinney back, a junior. I think they will be very competitive. Have Caruthers kid back and of course, QB athlete Eddie Wilson. They will be able to guard and that makes them a threat.

-- Posted by bball79 on Sun, Nov 8, 2015, at 10:29 AM
  • If Leech stays national top 10 class of 2019 recruit SEMO will be wasting their time "approaching" him. He'll have many choices bigger and better.

-- Posted by indian73 on Sun, Nov 8, 2015, at 7:22 PM
  • SEMO did offer Chris a scholarship, and Tmarlo I agree with what you are saying.^^^

-- Posted by mk3 on Mon, Nov 9, 2015, at 8:25 PM
  • I heard Tyus banks was kicked off the team

-- Posted by SccAlum on Tue, Nov 10, 2015, at 9:54 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: