Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Rib City shootout

Posted by TFA on Sat, May 30, 2015, at 9:17 PM:

I know it's Friday and Saturday but anyone have any info?

Replies (130)

• I think they are trying to hold down the attendance numbers and also make less money by not advertising the dates.

The information I have is this Fri. and Sat. May 5&6.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Sun, May 31, 2015, at 6:04 AM
  • Hope that's June 5&6. Lol!! Usually Preach says something about it. Even looked at website no times or anything

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, May 31, 2015, at 6:11 AM
  • -- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Sun, May 31, 2015, at 6:22 AM
  • SHS59,here are dates for the Rib City Shootout. Boys: June 5-6, June 18-19, July 10-11.

Girls: May 29-30, June 11-12, July 17-18.

Try to stay positive this early in the morning, Ha!

-- Posted by semo ref on Sun, May 31, 2015, at 8:02 AM
  • -- Posted by whistleone on Sun, May 31, 2015, at 8:42 AM
  • Anyone know what time it starts? Wished they had a schedule somewhere for it not just dates but whom is playing whom. Bearcat fan I go on what u have and it's an add for gmail. But anyway I got people talking about it so maybe people will come.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, May 31, 2015, at 10:27 AM
  • Sorry about the wrong date, but I'm with TFA what is the schedule and who is playing?

-- Posted by SHS59 on Sun, May 31, 2015, at 12:58 PM
  • -- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jun 2, 2015, at 3:41 PM
  • You have to login to that site it says when you click on it. I'm not on that site so how am I supposed to login?

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Jun 2, 2015, at 3:47 PM
  • Good news tho it is on the rib city Shootout page

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Jun 2, 2015, at 3:49 PM
  • Not nearly as many teams as usual. charleston isn't in it actually a lot of teams aren't that were last year. Kinda disappointed but I'm sure it will still be good.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Jun 2, 2015, at 4:02 PM
  • Any info on how it's going this week?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Jun 19, 2015, at 9:59 AM
  • I was there and you will be glad to know that the Bulldogs where 4-0.

Bluejays looked better than I expected, and Jackson was a whole lot worse than I expected.

I will say now what all the naysayers are going to say, "It is ONLY summer ball."

The teams that we played had big expectations and it showed. Our top 8 players were there and 1 other had to work. One of the coaches said he wanted to play the best teams in the shootout.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Fri, Jun 19, 2015, at 3:06 PM
  • Its only summer ball though

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jun 19, 2015, at 3:23 PM
  • I figured Charleston would look good. I missed a good Rib City this week but we are on vacation so my son isn't there so Sikeston is missing another good player. 😀😀😀

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jun 19, 2015, at 4:14 PM
  • It IS only summer ball!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Jun 19, 2015, at 4:50 PM
  • Seriously though. We are only returning one starter so in Jackson's case I do believe they will look a whole lot better in 6 months!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Jun 19, 2015, at 4:52 PM
  • Nope, not allowed IP. You're going down this year!! 😀🏀

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jun 19, 2015, at 7:43 PM
  • Hey IP!! Howz ur gridiron boys lookn for this fall? Hopefully we'll be able to hang with em this year, last two games been a bit lopsided!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Jun 20, 2015, at 9:27 AM
  • So SCC finished first in their bracket. Did anyone get to see them? Just curious who they have contributing besides Porter. I remember the banks kid they got after Christmas last year. Them two will be good, but who else helped them?

-- Posted by bootheelball on Sat, Jun 20, 2015, at 10:26 AM
  • I saw them. They looked really, really good.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jun 20, 2015, at 2:27 PM
  • Charleston looks like a team headed to the final four.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jun 20, 2015, at 2:29 PM
  • Jackson will be fine come season time.

-- Posted by Bearcatfan99 on Sat, Jun 20, 2015, at 6:15 PM
  • TFA. Lol! I would consider you guys the favorite at this point but we still have 6 months!

Ciri. I think football is a lot like hoops this year. We lost a lot of veteran leadership but both programs have a load of young talent ready to go!

It may take a while for both to gel but they will be very competitive by playoff time!!

Good to hear from you both!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Jun 20, 2015, at 10:17 PM
  • Cairo, Illinois, is very good. Not enough knowledge about Illinois basketball to know how far they can go.

Hartsville and West Plains may have historic talent in their respective programs in Missouri.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jun 20, 2015, at 11:04 PM
  • Did NMCC participate? If so how did they look ?

-- Posted by indian73 on Sat, Jun 20, 2015, at 11:25 PM
  • I don't know if they were in this one or not but they didn't look too bad in the other one. I didn't see them but a cpl of times. Once when they Sikeston but I can't remember what Sikeston beat them by. They have some shooters just need some inside help.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Jun 21, 2015, at 10:57 AM
  • Deon Jenkins should provide inside presence as a wide body 6'3" post player. Saw lots of PT last year. 6'1" jr. Craig Beasley off jv could provide support (strong/athlectic).

-- Posted by indian73 on Sun, Jun 21, 2015, at 12:39 PM
  • Serious question. Who played for scc? Any new kids? Their jv was horrible last year and they only returned two kids from last year that could play. Obviously Jeff is a stud. But I was wondering if their neighbors from the south may have provided any new arrivals. Take it any way you want it. I jus want to know if the had anybody this weekend besides Porter and tyus banks? Maybe some kids that didn't play last year possibly?

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sun, Jun 21, 2015, at 6:09 PM
  • They do have some kids that didn't play last year. I don't know if they played or not.

-- Posted by jayrod on Sun, Jun 21, 2015, at 6:20 PM
  • Be interesting if Bloomfield-Scott County Central winner meets Hartville soon enough in final four. Not sure what Hartville will meet after its district before final four.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jun 21, 2015, at 10:56 PM
  • Hartville has unprecedented game right now. Be interesting to see where they end.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jun 21, 2015, at 10:58 PM
  • Hartville presents itself as a state championship contender based on the only day I've watched them in the last few years.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jun 21, 2015, at 11:02 PM
  • Anyone have any updates on how the SCAA teams looked ? Dexter, Advance, Bloomfield , Puxico ? I think those are the only 4 that played this weekend .

-- Posted by Hightops on Mon, Jun 22, 2015, at 6:06 AM
  • Dustin you are right about Hartsville they are good. The last rib city they only lost 1 game and that was the championship game to us they had already beat us earlier. I think SCC got 1 player that I heard from the south.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Jun 22, 2015, at 10:19 AM
  • I watched part of SCC playing I think Herrion, IL. I watched for two minutes before I realized it was SCC. The only player I recognized was Porter. They looked good. Charleston looked good as they always do. That young talent they had last year is going to be a handful this year as well.

-- Posted by Crippled Crossover on Mon, Jun 22, 2015, at 2:01 PM

Lol,That was exactly what i thought when i saw SCC but we are really not surprised are we.They definitly went and got some help probably have enough to beat bloomfield now.But they are going to need a couple more to beat a team from the west the Thayer Bobcats are 9 deep and really good no Porter but are very good all 9 but hey they still have time!

-- Posted by porchswing on Mon, Jun 22, 2015, at 6:44 PM
  • porchswing

I think the road to a Class 2 state championship involves Hartville.

One has to admire the work they do over at Thayer year after year.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jun 23, 2015, at 2:25 AM
  • The road to a Class 2 championship goes through SCC until somebody proves otherwise.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jun 23, 2015, at 6:52 AM
  • From what I saw SCC will be quicker and be able to play a better trap/press than last year. This team looked faster and more athletic than last years team. They seemed to shoot the ball well for the few minutes I watched. Wether or not they can replace that good post post player that graduated we will have to see. He did really well for them inside getting rebounds and finishing around the basket.

-- Posted by Crippled Crossover on Tue, Jun 23, 2015, at 11:43 AM

Dustin,I know you saw hartville beat sikeston but Thayer has already manhandled that hartville team!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jun 23, 2015, at 2:33 PM
  • I think the game always starts inside. Based on what I've seen: 1. Hartville, T2. Scott County Central, T2. Bloomfield, 4. Thayer in the southern half of Missouri in Class 2. But I'm 80 percent confident the Thayer team I saw play only had six players the game I watched and they probably have more at other times. Thayer has the reputation of having one of the elite coaches in the state. I'm sure they will be a factor.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Jun 24, 2015, at 11:35 PM
  • Hartville did not play Thayer this summer. They have not played Thayer in the last 4 years to my knowledge. However, Thayer will be very good this year!

-- Posted by Cards Nation on Fri, Oct 23, 2015, at 12:01 PM
  • Scc is the team to beat I don't care what everyone else has period the end

-- Posted by Eagle97 on Fri, Oct 23, 2015, at 2:19 PM
  • I watched last years game between Scc and nmcc and it didn't start from the inside it started with Porter and until one of those teams can stop Porter it will be a long game for them

-- Posted by Eagle97 on Fri, Oct 23, 2015, at 2:22 PM
  • Are the kids that transferred from Sikeston to SCC eligible to play this season? I agree, until somebody knocks off SCC they are again the favorite.

-- Posted by Cards Nation on Fri, Oct 23, 2015, at 5:49 PM
  • Are the kids that transferred from Sikeston to SCC eligible to play this season? I agree, until somebody knocks off SCC they are again the favorite.

-- Posted by Cards Nation on Fri, Oct 23, 2015, at 5:56 PM
  • As far as I know all 6 of them will be eligible to play.

-- Posted by jayrod on Sat, Oct 24, 2015, at 5:54 AM
  • 6 transfers????

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Oct 24, 2015, at 10:44 AM
  • What? Doesn't everyone have six kids transfer in for basketball each year?? (Tongue firmly in cheek)

-- Posted by BC Breeze on Sat, Oct 24, 2015, at 11:03 AM
  • Come on people. Of course they got new guys in. I mean they were only gonna have two good players so yea they had to reload. I'm sure all the newbees are distant relatives of someone at scc and they once went to school there. Same ol same thing.....I have no idea how Mshsaa keeps approving this for scc

-- Posted by bootheelball on Sat, Oct 24, 2015, at 11:05 AM

If they got 6 that would be a all time high for them.But those of us who looked at that roster last year knew they would need a ton and sounds like they went out and got it.And to think there is nothing like hard work to win state titles at least that is what we are told lol!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sat, Oct 24, 2015, at 11:40 AM
  • So I asked a parent there's only 3 not 6. Didn't ask who they were or if they ever played for Sikeston just asked how many.

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Oct 24, 2015, at 1:26 PM
  • Sikeston

County

Central

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Oct 24, 2015, at 2:31 PM

Very very difficult to prove a kid moved for athletic reasons.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 24, 2015, at 2:39 PM
  • So SCC has 3 new kids... I would be willing to bet Sikeston and a lot of other schools have more than 3 new kids... what is the big deal., people move all the time..and to you folks trying to imply that SCC has done something wrong.I bet you're the same ones that talk about how bad they are going down hill every year. FYI ALL those kids AT SCC work very hard.OH YEAH they had to get another new coach this year the old one went to SIKESTON and his kids went with him, so yeah people move from here to sikeston all the time and nobody says a word.!!! I don't know for sure,but I don't think SCC can tell PARENTS that move into their school district,YOUR KIDS CAN'T COME HERE...Sikeston sure had NO PROMBLEM when Porter came to town and brought all his boys,oh how fast we forget...

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Sat, Oct 24, 2015, at 3:44 PM
  • I myself, doesn't even care they were saying 6 I just wanted to clarify the number. Heck if you don't make the team for one school I'm all for moving for whatever reason so they can play a game they love.

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Oct 24, 2015, at 4:11 PM
  • Did the 3 kids that transferred to SCC from Sikeston move into the SCC district? If they did in fact change residences, they should be eligible to play unless Sikeston states they moved for athletic reasons. I don't know much about the situation, just heard rumors that the kids that transferred never moved from their current residence.

-- Posted by Cards Nation on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 2:28 PM
  • Actually, Buck, It's not nearly as hard to prove a move was made for athletic reason as you think. Many times, if a school marks that a move was made for athletic reasons, the transfer can get held up. What usually ends up happening is nothing is said about a kid moving because most people don't feel right about keeping a kid from playing.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 3:11 PM

Heard Marquand got a transfer from Mater Dei (CA). I bet he moved for athletics...

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 3:54 PM

Heard Marquand got a transfer from Mater Dei (CA). I bet he moved for athletics...

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 3:54 PM

In this area it would be really difficult. Rural School districts where you are about five miles apart, and family living in both areas. The schools case would virtually stand no chance if they were to mark the move. In bigger cities that might be a little bit easier, but it doesn't happen very much. But in this area the families case would be much stronger that the school district wouldn't have a leg to stand on that the kid move for athletics. I would have to disagree that they don't to it because they don't feel it is right, I believe they wouldn't do it because they know they stand no chance, because it would be expensive and the family could win in court after a lengthy process.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 4:01 PM
  • Not wanting to be combative, Buck, but it's not difficult at all. It simply depends on the particular situation. Many kids will transfer with no problems at all. But many times a kid is denied the right to play because a school marked the move was for athletic reasons. Because of the sensitivity of the subject, I, of course, would never get into any type of specific detail on Semoball concerning this matter, but it happens all the time.

Concerning the legal side of it, you said it yourself. The fact that it's a lengthy process would greatly limit the number of families that would even be willing to fight a decision made by MSHSAA in court because by the time the case was heard, the season very likely would be over. And there is no court ruling that can turn back the hands of time.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 5:27 PM

Yeah I don't want to be combative either. And I understand your points and respect your opinion! We will just agree to disagree on this one.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 5:39 PM
  • This is funny. Every year this comes up. It's like groundhog day. Lol.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 7:52 PM
  • Just for the record one of the kids moved to SCC because his dad is asst. coach now

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 8:07 PM
  • Shhhhhh tfa, you are taking away from the demonizing effect. Lol.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 8:21 PM
  • Easy there fellas. It it what it is. Kids move back and forth from Sikeston and SCC all the time. In my opinion is has nothing to do with a coach recruiting kids from Sikeston. To me, it has more to do with kids who aren't good enough to play at class 4 Sikeston right now so they go to class 1 or 2 SCC where they can play. It's also a fact that this has nothing tomdomwith the great tradition of SCC.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 9:18 PM
  • Yep.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 9:20 PM

It is like ground hog day because it keeps happening every time they need players! And i am one who does think about the kids who just want to play how about the kids who worked their butts off through elementary all the way through j.v. and now the move ins take their place.We all know whether it is from sikeston,Blytheville,or chicago they will find them when they need them period!

-- Posted by porchswing on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 10:14 PM

Porch swing, do you think SCC hired the assistant coach from Sikeston as a plot to get his son there to play? Furthermore, are you suggesting that this new head coach was brought in on the conditions that he immediately go out and replenish a championship team? Lastly, what makes you think these "move ins" will even play over those existing kids who worked their butt off for their opportunity to play?

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 10:36 PM

LOL1 I didn't suggest anything!I am just stating the facts but if you want to suggest something don't use me to do so.I know the last two state titles would have never of happened without the timely move-ins of Owens and Daniels!

-- Posted by porchswing on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 11:10 PM

You certainly are suggesting something! LOL I'm just trying to see what angle are you coming from. "It keeps happening every time they need players" is definitely an indication that you're suggesting something!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Mon, Oct 26, 2015, at 11:47 PM

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Oct 27, 2015, at 12:12 AM
  • I believe Daniels played all four high school years at SCC. Owens went to SCC most all his school years, moved away one or two years, and then moved back.

-- Posted by jayrod on Tue, Oct 27, 2015, at 9:10 AM

JustSpeakingTheTruth,I didn't bring up anything about an assistant coach from Sikeston and why he was brought in etc..That was you if you are suggesting something lay it out there i am just refering to things that have happened or facts as your name inplies you like.If SCC Central builds another good team i will be there to watch i like good basketball have for years just don't cover your eyes on how it keeps happening lol!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Oct 27, 2015, at 10:12 AM
  • jayrod-Javonta Daniel most definitely did not play all four years at SCC. You have to give a lot of credit to Javonta. He sat on the end of the bench at Sikeston. But he went to SCC and worked hard and improved a ton.

I have not idea about Juwan Owens.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Oct 27, 2015, at 10:39 AM
  • Im with TFA. If you love the game find a place that will give you a chance to play!

There is nothing better than being on the court on game night!!

Cant wait for some hoops!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Oct 27, 2015, at 11:44 PM
  • Not sure if daniels played his freshman year at scc. He did play his last three there though. Porch, just stop man. Every school has kids coming and going. SCC lost a very good shooter last year to another school. Where is the skepticism of that school? Are you implying with your facts that the school is recruiting, or are you saying that kids are coming there because they want to play there?

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Wed, Oct 28, 2015, at 12:00 AM
  • I ain't going to lie, if my son has to sit the bench his whole senior year I'm going to wish I moved, even thought about it. But my sons been working his butt off to get better so hopefully his hard work gets noticed.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Oct 28, 2015, at 4:33 AM
  • Love to hear of his hard work! Wishing him the best!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Oct 28, 2015, at 6:40 AM
  • Thanks IP you should see his dunk!! I have video. 😀

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Oct 28, 2015, at 6:43 AM
  • Awesome!! Where can I find it?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Oct 28, 2015, at 6:47 AM
  • I have it and I'm sure he posted it somewhere but he told me to stop talking about him on here!! Lol!!

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Oct 28, 2015, at 9:07 AM
  • Ok. Ill leave it alone then but still very cool!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Oct 28, 2015, at 9:34 AM
  • Wow i thawt the transfer phenomenon was only affecting the college game! Now i see where it gets started haha! I now need to check YMCA hoops to see if thats where in REALLY starts!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 28, 2015, at 9:36 AM
  • What?^^^^^^^

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Wed, Oct 28, 2015, at 10:00 AM
  • Tongue in cheek Van, tongue in cheek...

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 28, 2015, at 10:04 AM
  • Which coach was hired by SCC

-- Posted by semofan01 on Wed, Oct 28, 2015, at 12:36 PM

Van,I will leave it alone I have made my point very well.I hope you guys build a great team this year for Jeffrey to go out with!I am ready for basketball to begin!

-- Posted by porchswing on Wed, Oct 28, 2015, at 12:55 PM
  • We build a great team every year here at SCC with hard work and dedication.. That is why we are so proud of our team and school here at SCC. A lot of the time because we are such a small school we barely have enough for a team, but no matter what they have, they always give it their best shot, their best chance at winning by working to be the very best they can be with hard work and dedication ,and that porchswing is something I DOUBT YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT.!!!!!!!!! If you did you would not be on here bad mouthing these kids and their school so porch go crawl back under that rock and think about that...???

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 9:30 AM
  • But at the same time I can see why kids would want to come to a school like SCC with their GREAT WINNING TRADITION... Holding the State record when it comes to High School Basketball State Championships... Oh yeah porch by the way what school you from, how many championships they got.??? that could explain where you get all this pent-up HATE you got inside you, you need to let it out let it go already before it eats you al;ive..???LOL hAVE A NICE SEASON PORCH...

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 9:43 AM
  • I'm hoping at some point in time, those on here talking about transferring schools just so their kids can get off the bench or maybe win a championship, will finally realize high school basketball means very little in the grand scheme of life. It is merely a chapter...

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 10:26 AM

LOL,Da#1OLDCAT there is no hate here just stating the reality!I know you feel like you have to defend it so be it take cheap shots all you want.You can do it in person if you like since i have set beside you at the games for years lol!As you stated it's all about championships and winning anyway it has to be done!BonScott hit the nail on the head!

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 11:52 AM
  • Yes it's just a chapter, a chapter that they should enjoy because the rest of their working life might not be that exciting. Heck if they like and want to play and the parents are in agreement who cares where they play. They might even live in a different town and pay tuition to go to other schools no one knows or actually should care.

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 1:16 PM
  • -- Posted by TFA on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 1:16 PM

To each their own, and by all means, do what's best for your kid. But in my opinion, that's not what's always best. It's like a lawyer chasing an ambulance and nothing is guaranteed. I don't know how much character one has when they walk out on their friends and teammates that they've grown up with, just to try and get their name in the newspaper. Imo.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 1:41 PM
  • Maybe they aren't trying to get name in newspaper maybe they just like playing ball and want to be able to play. I can see your point about character and leaving teammates but is it so hard to believe that some kids do it just to play not be stars? I have no clue why the parents/ kids do it. My point is they are kids enjoy the high school life while you can. I heard of a kid on a team that sat the bench and didn't get to play and other kids made fun of him so much he quit the team. We will never know the reason they chose to move they just do.

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 1:52 PM
  • BonScott gets it!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 2:21 PM
  • And what are you trying to say Ciri? I don't? Hmmm ok then I just see things in different perspectives than some.

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 2:33 PM
  • Sounds like ur puttn words in my mouth i didnt say. I complimented Bon on his astute observation. If i say its sunny outside can u assume i also said theres no clouds? I think not...

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 2:38 PM
  • Ok then thanks for the input

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 2:42 PM
  • No need to get upset at porchswing, DA#1OLDCAT,

Everyone in the state knows SCC cheats to win titles. Porch just called you out. Ain't a big deal.

It's not like everbody doesn't already know it. Quit embarrassing yourself.

-- Posted by NOMOball on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 8:09 PM
  • For what its worth I have to go with the idea that kids just want to play and enjoy high school ball!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 9:45 PM
  • For what its worth I have to go with the idea that kids just want to play and enjoy high school ball!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 9:45 PM

To leave their hometown and friends? Whatever happened to being a great teammate?...You do realize that only seven kids really get playing time in high school, maybe eight if you're lucky.

IndianPride, do you suggest a kid just shop around until he finds the crappiest team in the area that will let him play?

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 9:57 PM
  • No. I said kids should want to play and enjoy high school ball! The real world comes around too quickly!!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 10:47 PM
  • -- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 10:47 PM

I agree with that...But reality says, not all kids can play, and that's okay.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 10:53 PM
  • Boo hoo hoo. Lol. SCC cheats. Wah Wah wah. Try investing more time on your kids skill and less bashing another programs kids.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Fri, Oct 30, 2015, at 1:40 AM
  • Porchswing,I would love to do it in person. Next time you set next to me PLEASE introduce yourself and I will try to explain it to you..!! and as I stated it's all about the HARD WORK AND DEDICATION something you no NOTHING about....HEY Porch if you can bring NOMOBALL with you I would like to meet them too..!!! Thanks hope to see you guys soon ..Have a nice day..

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Oct 30, 2015, at 7:20 AM
  • Porch does this every year. It is a shame. What school do you support porch. Ever had a kid move in? I am just guessing that nomoball is from up north. I could be wrong. If I am not wrong, what do you know about semo ball? Just curious.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Fri, Oct 30, 2015, at 9:55 AM

OldcatI have already introduced myself to you 2 years ago we talked for a long time lol!I have never said that the braves don't work very hard and aren't dedicated that is a given.But what you fail to accept is the other half of the formula which everybody knows is move in talent when the talent runs dry.Whether its 6 or 3 or 3 two years ago!I understand that some don't care because they are in classes that this doesn't effect but I wonder in thier hearts would they feel the same way if it did.I am sure Leopold Bernie last couple of years would probably not feel that way.And Bloomfield Thayer and Southern Reynolds job just got a lot harder.But my daughter has informed me that dad if you debate knuckleheads on semoball that makes you a knucklehead she has a point!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Oct 30, 2015, at 12:03 PM
  • DA#1OLDCAT,

Ain't got nothing but love for ya brother. You are one of the classier posters on here.

Just giving you a little insight on what the rest of the state thinks of the SCC "program" .

-- Posted by NOMOball on Fri, Oct 30, 2015, at 8:54 PM
  • The rest of the state thinks SCC is one mean machine.

-- Posted by jayrod on Sat, Oct 31, 2015, at 11:34 AM

Right on, Jayrod. Only jealous locals cry and complain.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Sat, Oct 31, 2015, at 4:46 PM
  • Sikeston, Charleston. NMCC, SCC and etc. have the SAME system year after year. They run the same presses, same defenses, and the same offenses from Jr. High till they graduate. What I have seen for years, the coaches know how to use new players. So a coach gets a player and maybe he has never seen him play. How do you know all his strengths and weaknesses in just 3 weeks? Really? Don't anybody think it takes time to develop team chemistry? I've known alot of schools recruit but not even get out of own their district. Proof, just because you recruit, doesn't mean to hand them the state champs.. No, SCC and all others are not guilty of anything except winning. It was taught from the beginning of each schools program and has stood the test of time. The only time SCC wasn't good, when they got away from Cookson basketball style and walked the ball up the court and didn't press like the old SCC and the now SCC does for the last several years. Run and press. Speed the game up. They play who they got. They win state champs with 5, 6, or 7 kids years end and year out. Try to play a fast pace game , pressing, dogging all over the floor, without coming out of the game, just for a breather. I don't care what everyone says, no other teams can do it. SCC outworks everyone year after year. Don't mistake work hard for anything else. I'm sure Matt Cline will not change the system why? Because it works. He won state as a player for SCC so he knows just as good as anybody. Back to the move-ins. Not one school in this state can say they never had a move in.

-- Posted by country-dude on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 1:17 AM
  • Country dude I agree with most everything you say except one point. Scott central doesn't win just because they "outwork" everyone. they do work very, very hard and they earn what they get. But the fact is that Scott central usually wins because they are more talented than they other team. It does take smart coaching and a lot of work. But there is very little "x and o" work that you will witness when watching them. But wow have they been blessed with great talent and they do work hard and you can't take anything away from their accomplishments. But they are not necessarily working harder than some of the other programs they face.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 9:25 AM

Country-dude,I respect your opion on basketball but jwhitlock has got it right!Coach Day worked his eagles last year just as hard as SCC.The reason SCC won another state title and NMCC did not was talent for the class they were in Barstow has alot more talent than NMCC!Coach Farmer and coach Hollifield IMO know how to get the most out of teams but they have talent cycles!When the talent isn't in the hallways at SCC they go get it!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 12:28 PM
  • Country dude another bit of your post that I don't agree with is the attempt to justify recruiting by saying many teams recruit and don't get out of their district. That's not the point. Winning isn't everything, especially if you sacrifice what's right in your efforts to win. To be clear, I'm not accusing SCC of recruiting because that's not happening, contrary to what people will say. The school recruits itself because of the tradition. But wrong is wrong whether you win or lose on any level at ANY school.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 2:56 PM
  • Amen jwhitlock!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 5:23 PM
  • NMCC is the etc. along with Jackson, Notre Dame, Bernie and ETC. Name the team who's good every year and maybe you will get what I said. Fact is, "all the great programs play the same system from Jr. High to high school"... I'm not to justify anybody for recruiting period. I've seen a lot of recruiting in my years of watching the game and have seen teams who DID recruit and DID NOT win their districts. It's not my business. If they are cheating, that's for someone with some real power to change it and it's not me.. I just admire fans, schools, coaches, players and most of all, THE GAME!!!

-- Posted by country-dude on Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 4:51 PM
  • Porchswing, I ask one more time. Does Scott central actively recruit, or does the program attract talent? Quit dodging this simple question. Make a stand and stick with it for once.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 10:52 AM

Vanduser2000,You ask me to let this go but you keep bringing it back up. I think we have established that SCC doesn't win 5 times the State championships through hard work and dedication alone! I will leave it to others to decide for themselves how the talent gets there when it is needed but it obviously gets there!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 11:22 AM
  • And it seems like it doesnt matter who the head coach is, it seems like four different coaches have won in like the last decade or so. A definite aberration.....

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 12:47 PM
  • Great coaches cant win with poor talent but average coaches can certainly win with funnelled-in talent

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 12:50 PM
  • Still no answer porch? Lol.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 4:28 AM
  • It has been confirmed both Owens and Daniels set on the end of the Bench as Freshmen.

-- Posted by jayrod on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 9:22 AM
  • Jayrod, if you listen to porchswing, that is the target for scc recruits. They find players that are sitting on the bench that are no good and put out a full recruiting effort that makes them better ball players. Lol.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 10:03 AM
  • I have read where a student athlete is there because Dad was hired as assistant coach. No problems there. I have also heard 2 more students from Sikeston are there. Does anybody have any scoop on that?

-- Posted by oldschool3 on Thu, Nov 5, 2015, at 8:13 AM
  • I have heard the same thing oldschool3, are the kids from Sikeston eligible to play?

-- Posted by Cards Nation on Thu, Nov 5, 2015, at 9:09 AM
  • Javonta Daniel went to Sikeston through his freshman year. Sat the end of the bench as a 5'9" freshman. Transferred to SCC his sophomore year and had grown to 6'2". He could have helped the Bulldogs the last couple of years no doubt. But he was a little skinny freshman whose skills were behind his classmates. Obviously the maturing was a big factor but he also improved his skills a great deal over the next few years. I talked to him last year and he said he would have liked to had stayed at Sikeston to play football, but his grandma wanted him to change schools. Had nothing to do with SCC recruiting or him deciding to go there to be a star basketball player. It was a family decision that thought he would be a more successful student.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Nov 5, 2015, at 9:13 AM
  • Keyth Blissett, a former Sikeston girls basketball assistant coach and elementary teacher, now works at SCC as a teacher (not exactly sure what he is teaching) and an assistant coach on the SCC boys team. His son now goes to SCC as well.....nothing REMOTELY wrong with that. I've "heard" there are two others, but I'm sure who "they" are or if "they" even exist.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Nov 5, 2015, at 10:57 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: