Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Jan. 27 State Rankings

Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 12:55 AM:

http://semoball.com/story/1605769.html

Let the discussion commence!

Replies (21)

• I like this week's state ranking better. I think they are more accurate. Winfield is still getting too much love, however.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 1:07 AM
  • Wow!! Leopold fell alot!! I'm going to have to change the fence tonight!!!

-- Posted by queenofsidelines on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 9:03 AM
  • I agree, Whitfield is too high. Their close loss to Borgia is carrying too much weight and keeping them up there. I think this may be the last time we see Bernie ranked in Class 2. This could be a very tough week for them.

-- Posted by hsbballfan on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 9:06 AM
  • Wow -- two teams from the Mississippi Valley Conference made it on to the state rankings. Leopold and Oak Ridge -- definitely a first for this conference of seven class 1 and very small class 2 teams!

-- Posted by sikte514 on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 9:36 AM
  • Notre Dames win over SCC should propel them in the 4A poll,everyone can't beat the Braves.....

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 9:44 AM

They've been in the poll since the first one was released, jayjay. They're ranked 6th.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 9:46 AM
  • The only poll that matters is in late March...and Sikeston will be #1!!! :)

-- Posted by RedShirt on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 11:52 AM
  • They might gain a spot or 2, but beating a good Class 1 team shouldn't get much recognition from the voters.

-- Posted by sportsfanatic on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 1:37 PM
  • RedShirt

Don't make any reservations for Columbia just yet. You still need to get through your own district.

-- Posted by hsbballfan on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 4:03 PM
  • I agree with hsbballfan, after watching Notre Dame last night I am rethinking my district rankings. Notre Dame's win less night has also shaken up my Top 25 rankings that will be released on Feb. 1.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 4:46 PM
  • I agree that Notre Dame has gotten better and SCC seems to have slowed a little. Losing one or two starters tends to do that to you but have you been watching what Sikeston has been doing to teams since the Christmas break. I agree with everyone that the District tourney will be a great one and the winner will have a tough test in Bogia prior to Columbia. I think the winner of the Borgia game will win state. I still believe that Sikeston will play the district tourney with a chip since they lost already to them. I don't see ND beating them twice, especially with the way the red dogs have improved. It is going to be a fun month.

-- Posted by JuniorBulldog on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 5:37 PM
  • I think state and district rankings would be easier than local rankings. Who's number 1? ND won over Sikeston, Sikeston won over Cape, Cape won over ND, Bluff won over ND, Sikeston won over Bluff, SCC won over Cape and ND won over SCC. Sikeston still has NMCC and Bluff and I don't know who ND and SCC has left, I would have to say the hardest part is over with. At least till districts.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 9:26 PM
  • Fatboy1972

I am asking myself that question right now. Who should be number one? I'll have the answer to the question by Monday.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 9:32 PM
  • drawmules, there's no shame in admitting that the first 4 or 5 spots you will be pulling names out of a hat.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 9:42 PM
  • LOL

I don't have a hat Fatboy1972. I promise I will have an explanation for my top five. I have been working on it the entire week. I think everyone will be surprised with my number one team. Keep in mind Friday's games could impact the rankings. However, I predict most of the games on Friday will be cancelled. I anticipate the Scott Central / NMCC game will be played on Saturday. I won't be attending the game. However, I will be watching the scoreboard closely.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 11:20 PM
  • It's going to be tough to rank them...Sikeston, Bluff, or ND could be ranked number 1 and it would be tough to argue against any of them. Tough the put Sikeston or SCC ahead of ND when ND has beat both of them, but then you look at ND's losses, and a couple of them aren't that great. Tough to penalize SCC for losing to another top 5 team by dropping them below Sikeston who has lost to the same team. One would almost have to disregard losses and look at who has more quality wins.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 11:26 PM
  • FarmBoy06

One problem I always have when I rank teams is trying to determine whether I should rank the teams on their talent or their performance. I look at both talent and performance when I rank teams. However, I haven't decided which factor is more important. Arcadia Valley probably deserves to be number one based on their performance. However, I do not believe they are the most talented team in the Top 25.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Jan 28, 2010, at 12:03 AM
  • I have to agree with Farmboy, and look at the quality wins. It just seems too close to call between Sikeston and Bluff, but i would have to give it to Sikeston just because they have a win over bluff, but who knows things might be different at the end of the season then they were at the beginning. Bluff does the have the toughest remaining schedule between SCC, Sikeston, and ND, and them:

Poplar Bluff:

January 30-Quad State Shootout (KY)

February 2-New Madrid @ Home

February 5-Sikeston Away

February 12-Notre Dame Away

February 19-Charleston @ Home

Poplar Bluff should have their district, but if this ain't a nice warm up to get ya ready I don't know what would. The FEb. 5th game w/Sikeston could decide the number one team in the region.

Arcadia Valley is a good team, and yes they've beaten everyone in front of them. The problem is their strength of schedule. Its quite weak, theyve beaten some of the same teams 3 or more times. I remember a few years ago when Clarkton had a good team, and a record of like 19-2, with a high state ranking, and Bell City beat them in the sectionals. Clarkton played similar competition all year, and everyone said the same thing their saying about AV. Maybe its different with AV, time will tell.

-- Posted by semolian on Thu, Jan 28, 2010, at 9:33 AM
  • ND has won 7 in a row and is playing better than anyone right now. If i had rank the teams now i would put:

1. ND

2. Sikeston

3. SCC

4. PB

5. NMCC

-- Posted by bean84 on Thu, Jan 28, 2010, at 4:25 PM
  • I agree with bean, the thing that bothers me is we all have nmcc ahead of kennett, but kennett is ranked in state, nmcc should be ranked in 3a

-- Posted by ealge97 on Thu, Jan 28, 2010, at 9:17 PM
  • pb has won 8 in a row and 10 out of last 11 but i think any of the 4 could be #1

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 29, 2010, at 8:39 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: