Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Top 10 Girls Teams In Semo

Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 8:41 PM:

As you know, Cheesehead, BuckMajor, and I have been doing a weekly thread called "Slam Dunk Top 10" for boys basketball here in Southeast Missouri. So while I was home sick yesterday, I got to thinking about the girls teams. These young ladies and their coaches work very hard and don't get the recognition and support they deserve. So while was cooped up yesterday, I did the research and come up with a reasonable Top 10 for the girls teams here in Semo.

BTW, this one is entirely on me. If you don't like it, don't blame BuckMajor or Cheesehead! So after looking at records, head-to-head games, conference champs, tournament titles, strength of schedule, class size, state rankings, and district seeds (where applicable), here is my Top 10 Girls Teams in Semo:

1. Saxony Lutheran Lady Crusaders (23-0): This one is kind of a no-brainer as they are the only undefeated team in Semo and ranked #1 in Class 3. In addition, they've won three tournaments, beaten just about everyone else in the Top 10, and are ranked #1 in their district as well. If they can get past Park Hills Central in the sectionals, another trip to Columbia and a state championship is within their grasp.

2. Park Hills Central Lady Rebels (18-2): Also ranked in Class 3 and the top seed in their district. PHC has dominated the MAAA Conference and should add the conference championship to their trophy case this week along with the title at their Christmas Tournament. A couple of weeks ago, they put a hurting on Dexter. Their only two losses are to other state ranked teams in Class 4. A showdown with Saxony Lutheran is looming in the sectionals.

3. Neelyville Lady Tigers (17-3): A perennial power in girls basketball in Semo, the Lady Tigers have really roared this season. They won the Lady Royals Christmas Classic, dethroning three-time champs Dexter, and then beat the Lady Bearcats again for good measure. Tomorrow night at TRC they will look to win the OFCT over their arch-rival Naylor with whom they have split their games so far. One of their other losses was a double OT defeat to Saxony Lutheran. Neelyville is ranked #1 in C2D2 but has a tougher district than some as it includes good teams like Alton, Thayer, and Greenville. If they survive, they have a tough match-up with Chaffee awaiting them in the sectional round.

4. Dexter Lady Bearcats (13-8): A young Lady Bearcats squad has taken their lumps at times this season, but lately have been on a roll and shown they are still one of the top teams in Semo. Half of their eight losses have come to Saxony Lutheran (twice), Neelyville (twice), and PHC (once). But they have also knocked off previously undefeated, Class 4 #1 ranked St. James. Other signature wins have come against very good teams like Naylor, Charleston, and Twin Rivers. Dexter has games next week with Jackson and Sikeston and if they win those two games, they will win the SEMO Conference and lock up the top seed in C4D1.

5. Naylor Lady Eagles (17-2): The Lady Eagles have tasted defeat just twice this season, to Neelyville and Dexter. They are flying high and will look to make it two out of three against arch-foe Neelyville Friday night in the OFCT Finals at TRC. They also won a tournament in Corning back in January. Naylor is state ranked in Class 1 and should have no trouble making it to at least the quarterfinals in the playoffs. A trip to Columbia would not be a surprise at all for the Lady Eagles.

6. Sikeston Lady Bulldogs (16-4): Sikeston has to be the surprise team of the year in Semo this season. Almost an afterthought in girls basketball the last few seasons, the Lady Bulldogs have really roared this season. Last month, they went up to the St. Louis area and won the Hillsboro Tournament. They are undefeated in the SEMO Conference. A big match-up looms tonight at the Field House with arch-rival Charleston. Next week, they will meet Dexter at home. The winner of that game will be the SEMO Conference Champs and the top seed in C4D1 which will be hosted by Sikeston.

7. Chaffee Lady Red Devils (20-5): Chaffee started their season off with a bang winning their own invitational, but then fizzled in the Lady Royals Christmas Tournament. But then the Lady Red Devils caught fire, winning 20 games this season, including a defeat of Charleston last night to win the Scott-Mississippi Conference regular season crown and avenging a defeat to the Lady Jays in the conference tournament. Jordan Pruitt scored her 1000th point in that game. Chaffee is seeded #1 in C2D1 and should have no trouble rolling through the four team tournament into a sectional showdown with state-ranked Neelyville.

8. Greenville Lady Bears (14-7): Though they have been third fiddle to Neelyville and Naylor this season in the Ozark Foothills Conference, the Lady Bears should not be underestimated. In the Lady Royals Christmas Classic, they finished in 5th place though they were seeded #11. They have wins over good teams like Twin Rivers, Clearwater, Charleston, NMCC, Kennett, and Kelly. Tonight they defeated Twin Rivers again in the 3rd Place Game of the OFCT. Sadly, Greenville is the very tough C2D2 where Neelyville is the top seed and the Lady Bears are the #4 seed. Another showdown between these two OFCT rivals is looming in the district semi-finals.

9. Twin Rivers Lady Royals (12-9): Being the fourth best team in the outstanding Ozark Foothills Conference is still good enough for Twin Rivers to be included in my Top 10. The Lady Royals also good enough to be the top seed in C3D1, but it won't be easy as there are other good squads in the district like Portageville, NMCC, and OFCT-rival Doniphan. They've already beaten Portageville and Doniphan in their Christmas tournament before ultimately finishing fourth.

10. Charleston Lady Bluejays (15-5): Rounding out the Top 10 is Charleston. Despite a slow start and disappointing Christmas tournament, the Lady Jays have really rebounded and had a great season. They won the Scott-Mississippi Conference Tournament, upsetting Chaffee in the process, and came close last night to beating them again for the regular season crown. Unfortunately, the Lady Jays are the #3 seed in the brutal C3D2 where Saxony Lutheran is the top seed and includes other fine teams like Arcadia Valley, Kelly, Clearwater, and Woodland. But up first is a clash with arch-rival Sikeston at the Field House!

Bubble Teams: Kelly (16-6), Jackson (13-8), Portageville (14-7), Clearwater (11-8), Oran (11-7).

So what do you think? Is there anyone you think I've left out or overrated? Any of the bubble teams you think should be in the Top 10? What does your list look like? Leave me your feedback below and hopefully we can get a good discussion of girls high school basketball going.

Replies (90)

• Dawgettes over Jayzettes tonite 63-22, geez they are rollin!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 9:18 PM
  • Senath girls won conference tournament in Portageville tonight

-- Posted by Albert Pujols 69 on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 9:26 PM
  • Sikeston is really on a roll Ciri. A big showdown with Dexter is looming!

Albert that's a big win for SH seeing that Portageville thumped them twice before this season.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 9:36 PM
  • One correction to my above comments. Dexter plays Twin Rivers and Poplar Bluff next week, then Jackson and Sikeston the week after that. The winner of the Dexter-Sikeston game will likely be the SEMO Conference champs and will certainly be the top seed in C4D1.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 9:55 PM
  • PHC only has one loss

-- Posted by hardwork on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 10:04 PM
  • Preach, the seed meeting will occur before Dexter and Sikeston play, so that game won't have an affect on the district seeds.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 10:04 PM
  • They are now 21-1

-- Posted by hardwork on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 10:05 PM
  • Proud of girls here at SHHS. They've came a long way, and put in a lot of hard work.

-- Posted by Albert Pujols 69 on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 10:06 PM

Great write up Preach!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 10:09 PM

When is the seeding for C4D1 out of curiosity

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 10:22 PM

Seed meeting*

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 10:22 PM
  • Thank you Buck. Sorry for the error on the Lady Rebels record hardwork.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 10:24 PM
  • Dexter Native, I didn't know that. It will be interesting to see whether Dexter or Sikeston gets the #1 seed.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 10:34 PM
  • Seed mtgs are usually the weekend before the last full week of nondistrict games. Thus i would assume next weekend the 21st is seedings, sikes plays dexter last game of reg season on the 26th. Just a guess...

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 10:55 PM
  • I would assume the ladycats will get top seed due to SOS and the fact we havnt beaten them since 1953.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 10:57 PM
  • You're wrong on several records:

Neelyville - 18-4

Naylor 19-4

Greenville 17-7

Twin Rivers - 14-10

-- Posted by bjrosener on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 11:02 PM
  • Well I based those on the records Rob Tate listed for those teams on his blog posting the seeds on the OFCT. But thanks for the correction DARSports.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 11:23 PM
  • What is Clearwater's record DARSports?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 11:26 PM
  • I am Rob Tate.

Those records were accurate when that blog was posted. Those teams have played several games since then.

Clearwater is 12-10.

-- Posted by bjrosener on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 11:33 PM
  • Ok Rob. Thanks again for the updates on the records. I didn't know some of those teams had games while the conference tourney was going on. No offense intended.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 11:42 PM
  • Senath did NOT beat Portageville

Portagveille won 55-23!!!!

-- Posted by girlsbbfan on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 11:47 PM
  • No problem. Those schools haven't played any games other than the OFC tournament this week (since Saturday).

-- Posted by bjrosener on Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 11:49 PM
  • Alright, here is the Top 10 with the correct records including tonight's games:

1. Saxony Lutheran (23-0)

2. Park Hills Central (21-1)

3. Neelyville (18-4)

4. Dexter (14-8)

5. Naylor (17-4)

6. Sikeston (17-4)

7. Chaffee (20-5)

8. Greenville (17-7)

9. Twin Rivers (14-10)

10. Charleston (15-6)

Bubble Teams: Kelly (17-6), Jackson (14-8), Portageville (15-7), Clearwater (12-10), Oran (12-7).

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 12:02 AM
  • Ok, a couple more corrections. Kelly is 16-5 and Oran is 12-9.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 12:16 AM
  • This just proves that women are really complicated haha!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 1:28 AM
  • So I guess our girls beat Charleston

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 4:27 AM

Congratulations!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 6:10 AM
  • Looks pretty close to me. Good job PMF.

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 11:24 AM
  • Thank you Clever. And thanks for reading!

BTW Ciri, not going there! Lol.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 11:53 AM
  • Haha thanx for all ur hard work, im sure the ladies are excited to see some ink!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 12:00 PM
  • I think they deserve it.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 12:18 PM
  • The Dex-SHS game will be awesome! I hope our gym is packed!! The gals will love it!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 12:26 PM
  • Sounds like the Field House was full last night Ciri.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 1:19 PM
  • Two other big girls games this weekend is Neelyville vs. Naylor tonight at TRC for the OFCT Championship. These two teams have split their games so far this season. Game time is 6:30 p.m.

Also, tomorrow night PHC looks to wrap up the MAAA Conference Crown at MAC. Game time is 7 p.m.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 1:29 PM
  • Sorry, guys. I was told that our girls won the tournament lastnight. Congrats to P'ville. Proud of the girls here at Senath-Hornersville for their effort!

-- Posted by Albert Pujols 69 on Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 1:53 PM
  • I will release a new Top 10 on Friday after this week's games. Most of the teams in the Top 10 and bubble teams will wrap up the regular season this week (except for Dexter, Sikeston, and Jackson). Here are some of the "Key Games" between these teams this week. All games begin at 6 p.m.:

Monday, Feb. 16:

1. #4 Dexter at Poplar Bluff.

2. #8 Greenville at Woodland.

3. Portageville at #6 Sikeston.

4. #9 Twin Rivers at Malden.

5. #10 Charleston at South Pemiscot.

6. SCC at Kelly.

7. Oran at St. Vincent.

Tuesday, Feb. 17:

1. Clearwater at #5 Naylor.

2. Senath-Hornersville at #3 Neelyville.

Wednesday, Feb. 18:

1. Cape Central at #6 Sikeston.

Thursday, Feb. 19:

1. #9 Twin Rivers at #4 Dexter.

2. Meadow Heights at #1 Saxony Lutheran.

3. Puxico at #7 Chaffee.

4. Jackson at #2 Park Hills Central.

5. Kennett at #10 Charleston.

6. #3 Neelyville at Notre Dame.

7. #5 Naylor at Campbell.

Saturday, Feb. 21:

1. Jackson at Parkway South.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 9:14 PM
  • I'm going to go out on a limb and say tonight's games are postponed! I know Dexter's game at Poplar Bluff has been.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Feb 16, 2015, at 11:40 AM
  • PHC will name the score v. Saxony Lutheran if/when they play.

-- Posted by rediar on Mon, Feb 16, 2015, at 6:49 PM
  • I gotta doubt that one red!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Feb 16, 2015, at 9:27 PM
  • St. James is Class 3. Thanks for the information and hard work.

-- Posted by Ace Hollister on Tue, Feb 17, 2015, at 10:22 AM
  • Dexter Schools closed Wednesday as well.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Tue, Feb 17, 2015, at 10:39 AM
  • It'a little dangerous to compare scores, but based on common opponents PHC seems to be much more dominant than SL. I also have spoken with one of the coaches who has played both, they believe if PHC plays close to their best game and Saxony Lutheran does as well, the game will not be close. PHC will win. We will see, as "they" say, that is the reason they play the game.

-- Posted by rediar on Tue, Feb 17, 2015, at 12:21 PM
  • I agree Rediar, ive seen both play and I think PHC would win by 10+ just my opinion though. both are very good teams.

-- Posted by BBUBET on Tue, Feb 17, 2015, at 1:44 PM
  • With most of the week's games snowed out, the Top 10 remains the same. Here are the teams with records updated to reflect the few games that did occur:

1. Saxony Lutheran (25-0).

2. Park Hills Central (23-1).

3. Neelyville (19-4).

4. Dexter (14-8).

5. Naylor (17-5).

6. Sikeston (17-4).

7. Chaffee (20-5).

8. Greenville (17-7).

9. Twin Rivers (14-10).

10. Charleston (16-6).

Bubble Teams: Kelly (16-5); Jackson (14-9); Portageville (15-7); Oran (12-7); Clearwater (12-10).

If I've made any mistakes on the records, please let me know.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 2:22 PM
  • Just want to tip my hat to you PMF, you put work into what you post here and it is enjoyed by all. Keep it up!

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 2:54 PM
  • Thank you Clever. Glad you enjoyed it.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 2:58 PM
  • Looks perfect!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 3:07 PM
  • Thanks Ciri. And also to Ace for the positive feedback. Looking forward to next week's game between Dexter and Sikeston! Almost certainly a district championship preview.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 3:11 PM
  • What night is this game on?

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 3:14 PM

Ditto the praise and thanks for the time you put into this site.However i think greenville would beat Chaffee IMO!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 4:15 PM
  • Games on thursday mrs T

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 4:17 PM
  • Thank you Porch. You could very well be right about Greenville beating Chaffee. I gave them the nod because of a better record. Saxony and PHC have pretty much separated themselves from the others IMO, but with the other teams there is a lot of parity.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 4:35 PM
  • On correction to the above, Naylor's record is actually 19-4.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 4:58 PM
  • Seven members of the Top 10 and two bubble teams are #1 seeds in their respective districts.

1. Naylor is the #1 seed in C1D1.

2. Oran is the #1 seed in C1D2.

3. Chaffee is the #1 seed in C2D1.

4. Neelyville is the #1 seed in C2D2 while Greenville is seeded 4th.

5. Twin Rivers is the #1 seed in C3D1 and Portageville is #2.

6. Saxony Lutheran is the #1 seed in C3D2, Charleston is #3, Kelly is #4, and Clearwater is #5.

7. Dexter is the #1 seed C4D1 while Sikeston is #2.

8. Jackson is the #1 seed in C5D1.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 5:14 PM
  • C'water beat Chaffee by 20+ at the Lady Royal Christmas tournament.

-- Posted by tooldogging on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 5:29 PM
  • Actually, I believe C'water beat Chaffee by 18 in that game, and Kelly only beat C'water by 5. AV ladies are a good team, don't overlook them.

-- Posted by tooldogging on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 6:29 PM
  • But that was two months ago, tooldogging, and the two teams have gone in very different directions since then. But Clearwater is a dangerous team and could make some noise in districts. Good luck to the Lady Tigers!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 6:34 PM
  • Chaffee has defeated Kelly twice as well.

-- Posted by gianthook on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 7:28 PM
  • A correction to the above correction. Naylor is actually 19-5.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 10:01 PM
  • Well here is the thing about Chaffee. They really haven't played a very tough schedule. They ran into some tough competition in the Christmas tournament and as PMF said....fizzled. On the other side of that coin, while they haven't played a tough schedule, they beat the teams they should. Winning 20 games in a season is really tough so we should all tip our caps and that is why I didn't disagree with them being in that spot. So don't jockey too hard for them to be higher because Greenville or TR would beat them by 10-15. but that 20 wins gives them that spot rightfully. Again, kudos PMF

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Sat, Feb 21, 2015, at 7:56 PM
  • My thinking exactly Clever. Plus Chaffee is the Scott-Mississippi Conference regular season champions. And its not like they haven't beaten any good teams. They have two wins over Kelly and a win over Charleston.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Feb 21, 2015, at 10:28 PM
  • I've seen every team above Chaffee in this poll play (except Sikeston) and in general Chaffee would not beat any of them. However they have had a great season and will probably be district champs.

-- Posted by bearcatsports on Sun, Feb 22, 2015, at 9:39 AM
  • Well after all the cancelations and postponements due to the recent blizzard, we finally have the regular season all wrapped up, plus districts for Classes 1-3. Actually, C2D2 wrapped up tonight and Neelyville emerged district champions! So all of that has caused me to "wait and see" what happened before releasing my next Top 10.

Jackson's big win over Dexter last week sparked the Lady Indians to a three-game win streak, including an OT win tonight over Poplar Bluff in the C5D1 semi-finals. That, combined with Charleston's semi-final loss in districts to Arcadia Valley, means that Jackson moves into the Top 10 this week.

So here is your new Semo Top 10 Girls Teams:

1. Saxony Lutheran (28-0).

2. Park Hills Central (26-1).

3. Neelyville (21-4).

4. Dexter (16-9).

5. Naylor (20-5).

6. Sikeston (19-5).

7. Chaffee (22-5).

8. Twin Rivers (17-10).

9. Greenville (17-8).

10. Jackson (17-9).

Bubble Teams: Charleston (17-7), Kelly (18-7), Portageville (17-8), Oran (14-10), Clearwater (12-10).

A couple of other words of explanation. Dexter's loss to Jackson almost caused me to drop them a spot, but they did bounce back to beat Sikeston on the road and claim at least a share of the SEMO Conference Championship. Also, their SOS and head-to-head wins over Naylor and Sikeston led me to leave them at #4 for now.

Greenville's bad loss to Van Buren in the C2D2 quarterfinals led me to drop them behind C3D1 district champions Twin Rivers, even though the Lady Bears beat the Lady Royals twice. They beat a very solid Portageville squad handily to win the title too. That entitles them to move up a spot to me.

Please give me your feedback on the new Top 10. Also, check out this week's "Key Games" for a complete list of all the girls playoff basketball games this week.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 11:21 PM
  • Well as a guy that follows this pretty closely, I would say you are still spot on. Greenville had a strong regular season but to go one and done in the district tournament definitely warrants that. Any basketball team wants to peak at this time of year and I think that's exactly what Jackson and Twin Rivers have done. You look at the above mentioned wins for Jackson and Twin Rivers had a pretty impressive district tournament so kudos again PMF.

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 12:01 AM
  • Chaffee and Twin Rivers definitely have their work cut out for them playing the 3 & 1 teams on this list, but congrats to all of the district champs! Always a good year when you hang a banner! Also, kudos to Coach Fowler for taking a 4 win portageville to 17 wins in one year! Good things ahead for that program.

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 12:05 AM
  • Thank you Clever. I appreciate your feedback and agree with everything you said.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 9:27 AM
  • Twin Rivers has a pretty good team, they are fortunate to play in a very weak district. they came out winners last year and Saxony took them out in sectionals at dexter by about 30 last year and will probably do the same this year, though by not as many points. Twin rivers will win that district next year and will have the same fate again--that of facing Saxony Luthern.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 10:01 AM
  • Portageville had a pretty solid team this year, courtobserver, and were the Bootheel Conference Champions. So you had two good teams in that district, yet Twin Rivers beat them easily in the finals. So I think they will give Saxony a better game in sectionals this year, but I do think Saxony will win the game by 10-15 points.

Clever, Oran will also have a tall order in front of them to beat the #5 team in this rankings, Naylor.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 10:49 AM
  • PMG that's exactly what I said in the above post. twin rivers will lose by less than they did last year. And I still say they were the only team in their dist. New Madrid gave TR a lot better game than Portageville did. close ball game till middle of 4th qt. and TR only wins that game by about 11.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 11:38 AM
  • Who are the top senior girls in the area?

-- Posted by LetsBeReal21 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 1:27 PM
  • IF all goes as people think we will end up with a Park Hills Central Vs. Saxony Quarterfinal, anybody have thoughts on what may happen in this potential game?

-- Posted by SEMOSportsfan1 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 2:18 PM
  • It will be a barnburner, that's for sure. A real toss-up.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 2:50 PM
  • Twin rivers is weaker than last year, and saxony is year older, they will turbo twin rivers if they choose. Saxony was without a starter when they played av and still won easily.

-- Posted by HOLYCOWMAN on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 3:14 PM
  • Jackson is better than tr, chaffee, or greenville.

-- Posted by HOLYCOWMAN on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 3:16 PM
  • Saxony over PHC in a close one.

-- Posted by country-dude on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 3:30 PM
  • No, twin Rivers is not weaker than they were last year, not even close.....but yeah, they beat Saxony by 17 two years ago and lost in the QF, and got beat by saxony by around 30 last year. They lose one player after this year, and return 4 (will be) senior starters with a GREAT sophomore class. Twin Rivers will probably win quite a few more district titles coming up in the near future. But say what you will about their district, yiu have to go through them so apparently it's not a walk through district.

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 4:19 PM
  • you're right clever this is a much improved twin rivers team. Cheyane Bouie, the sr. they will be losing didn't put many points on the board, but she was worth her weight in gold, on defense and stealing the ball, set the record I believe for most steals in a year. they will have to be dealt with next year.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 4:30 PM
  • You are dead on court observer! Buie is a great kid and even more fun to watch, they will miss her. They do have a couple of young guards coming up that can shoot the lights out though. And don't get me wrong, I know it will take a Herculean effort from TR to beat Saxony, but I'm looking forward to seeing them give it their best shot.

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 4:40 PM
  • Naylor over Oran tonight 50-31. Oran hung tough the first half, but Naylor dominated in the 2nd half. I was really impressed with the Lady Eagles! They have a lot of height for a Class 1 school and will be a tough out in the postseason. I fully expect to see them in Columbia.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 9:34 PM
  • It's been a good competitive year in SEMO girls basketball. I'm thinking of all the good teams in the area that won't lose many key Sr. players. Next year should be great. Some of the ones I know that will basically be returning their current teams are: Neelyville, Twin Rivers, Dexter, Sikeston, Kennett, Cape N.D.,and Saxony just to name a few. Can't wait.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 11:29 AM
  • Well now that the season is over and I've had a little time to reflect on things and consider everybody's season, especially their postseason performances, here is my final Top 10 for girls basketball in Semo:

1. Park Hills Central Lady Rebels (30-1): Class 3 state champions. Nuff said!

2. Saxony Lutheran Lady Crusaders (29-1): Only loss was in OT to PHC in quarterfinals in what many folks (including me) thought was the real Class 3 state championship.

3. Neelyville Lady Tigers (22-5): Great season ended with an upset loss to Clopton in Class 2 quarterfinals. OFC and Christmas Tournament champs.

4. Naylor Lady Eagles (23-7): Lost a close one in the Class 1 championship game to three-time defending champs Walnut Grove.

5. Dexter Lady Bearcats (17-10): SEMO Conference co-champs; won 5th straight C4D1 title; lost in sectionals in OT to North County.

6. Sikeston Lady Bulldogs (20-6): SEMO Conference co-champs; best season in school history; lost title game to Dexter in C4D1.

7. Chaffee Lady Red Devils (22-6): Scott-Miss. Champs; best season in school history; first C2D1 title since 1978; lost to Neelyville in sectionals.

8. Twin Rivers Lady Royals (17-11): Won 3rd straight C3D1 title; lost in sectionals to Saxony Lutheran.

9. Jackson Lady Indians (18-9): Won 3rd straight C5D1 title; lost to Kirkwood in sectionals.

10. Greenville Lady Bears (17-8): A great season ended with a disappointing upset loss to Van Buren in round one of C2D2.

Honorable Mention: Charleston (17-7); Kelly (18-7); Portageville (17-8); Oran (14-11); Clearwater (12-10).

Let me know what you think! Thanks for reading and responding! It was a great season for girls basketball in Semo!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Mar 20, 2015, at 11:43 PM
  • Preach, have a few disagreements:

1. P.H.

2. Saxony

3. Neelyville

4. and 5. tie: Dexter and Jackson

6. Sikeston

7. Naylor, I moved them down because they are an exceptional class 1 but was handled easily by Dexter in reg. season play. Dexter, Sikeston,Jackson all had close play, and swapped wins all season.

8.Chaffee

9 Twin Rivers, district win in an easy dist. but was blowed out by Saxony in sectional. Dexter, Jackson, Sikeston play better games against Saxony.

10 Greenville

-- Posted by courtobserver on Sat, Mar 21, 2015, at 9:19 AM
  • I appreciate your input courtobserver. Even though Jackson beat Dexter late in the season, I still ranked Dexter above them because of SOS and being co-conference champs with Sikeston. I also put Sikeston ahead of Jackson because they beat them twice and again were co-conference champs. Of course, Dexter got the nod over Sikeston for the same reason, they beat them twice.

As for Naylor, they had an exceptional season and making it all the way to the title game in Class 1 and coming within 3 points of beating the defending 3-time champions, I felt justified in ranking them fourth. Plus they did beat Neelyville once and played Dexter tough.

One other thought. Greenville did beat Twin Rivers twice but ended their season with a bad loss to Van Buren in districts. The Lady Royals on the other hand did make it to sectionals, so to me that justified ranking them above Greenville. But the Lady Bears overall body of work was good enough for me to keep them #10. They did beat most of the bubble teams too.

Finally, a shout-out to the Oran Lady Eagles on winning C1D1 before falling to Naylor in sectionals.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Mar 21, 2015, at 12:22 PM
  • Many thanks Preacher. Boys basketball usually get far more attention, even on the message boards, so I appreciate you taking the time to put your thoughts together.

I have watched nearly every team on your list, including your honorable mention teams. My ranking would line up more with courtobserver but I will take his train of thought a little farther.

I would put PB and ND ahead of Chaffee, which would make Chaffee 10th.

PB split with Jackson, split with Naylor, and beat both Twin Rivers and Neelyville.

Chaffee had a fine season, but only played one game against the other top teams and lost it by 35 to Neelyville. They also had losses to Kennett, Clearwater and Cape Central.

Not mush overlap between ND and Chaffee in the schedules, but ND did beat Kennett and Cape Central, while Chaffee lost to both.

Again, I want to congratulate Chaffee on a fine season. They had a very good small school team, but they did not play a very strong schedule and I can not find any evidence to put them ahead of PB and ND, neither of which were discussed in this thread earlier.

BTW, I noticed you included Park Hills, but not North County, which is just a few miles further North. I believe that Arcadia Valley was also far better than some of the schools you mentioned, depending on what defines the area teams.

-- Posted by johndaniel on Sat, Mar 21, 2015, at 12:35 PM
  • Thanks for your input John. I agree the girls don't get enough credit which is why I started this thread. As for Poplar Bluff and Notre Dame, I personally have a hard time justifying putting teams with losing records in the Top 10. I realize they played tougher schedules than Chaffee, but in my mind, teams that are Top 10 worthy find ways to win more games than they loose. Sideline Starter and I used to have this debate all the time on Semoball!

As for Chaffee, they won 22 games which has to count for something. In addition they won a conference and district championships. Plus they beat all the bubble teams except (I think) Clearwater, so it's not like they haven't beaten any good teams.

On the geographical boundaries, when Cheesehead, BuckMajor, and I started the football rankings we decided on Farmington and Ste. Gen as our northern line as that corresponds to KFVS's SEMO coverage area. We included PHC because they have a lot of fans on Semoball. So I stuck with that which unfortunately excludes North County and Arcadia Valley. Both teams had great seasons though as you pointed out.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Mar 21, 2015, at 1:06 PM
  • preach, I believe Jackson and Sikeston split. Jackson beat them 59-36 in kelso supply semi's and Sikeston won regular season game and maybe with several Jackson injuried on bench. this is why I gave them the nudge over Sikeston. Sorry I forgot about PB and ND. thanks johndaniel, yes I would have had then at the bottom somewhere.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Sat, Mar 21, 2015, at 6:43 PM
  • It's ridiculous to put ND or PB I this list. PB played better late in the season, but.....

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Tue, Mar 24, 2015, at 2:39 AM
  • Clever, have to disagree. The poll is about the team at the end of the season, and PB belongs, I watched a much improved ND almost beat Sikeston in district. All respects for Chaffee and their record and state run, but when you get beat by Kennett, Clearwater, Cape Central, and Neelybille by 35 you're probably not a top 10.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Mar 24, 2015, at 9:02 AM
  • I honestly agree about Chaffee, I honestly tip my hat for the record, but any other team below them on this list would blow them out. I never saw ND this year, but your argument is a valid one.

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Tue, Mar 24, 2015, at 9:05 PM
  • Congrats to all the SEMO girls on making the all-state teams in their respective classes. We had girls from Clearwater, Neelyville, Naylor, Twin Rivers, Dexter, Saxony Lutheran and Park Hills. Forgive me if I left a school out. Proud of you.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Sun, Mar 29, 2015, at 7:42 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: