Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Team Wins 160-2!!!

Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 2:42 PM:

So while this article is not about any SEMO teams, this is a sports forum and we should be able to discuss sports ethics. In this case the coach whose team won was suspended 1 game by the school. What do y'all have to say about this? Any comments about SEMO schools doing something like this? Was the suspension appropriate?

http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/heroes-villains/201501/high-school-girls-baske...

Replies (38)

• I don't like the suspension at all.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 3:11 PM
  • Do they not have a running clock? He put his bench in second half, what was he supposed to do?

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 3:52 PM
  • I would not have quit playing agressively, but I would not have trapped and pressed nearly as long as he did. It would probably be a good idea to schedule better competition. :)

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 4:00 PM
  • Actually, "161" to 2; I'm pretty sure the winning team would want the "correct" score posted! Hah!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 4:06 PM
  • The team did a full trap/press the entire first half and had a 103 point lead. If your team is already up by 50 in the 2nd Quarter why would you need to keep the full court press? You dont!!!

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 4:24 PM
  • Agree with exzalmanian!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 4:41 PM
  • I agree it was totally unsportsmanlike and the coach should've been suspended.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 4:45 PM
  • He's working on his defense for the state playoffs.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 4:45 PM
  • Ridiculous!

-- Posted by Devildog76 on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 4:53 PM
  • Definitely shouldn't of pressed the whole game

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 8:02 PM

Whose game was this?

-- Posted by Anon32 on Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 9:33 PM

DW I dont know if you are just trolling or if you actually believe what you have posted.

I support the suspension. If you are up 50 at the end of the 1st quarter, you can put your manager, ball boy, water boy, etc. in the game and still win.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sat, Jan 17, 2015, at 12:46 PM
  • I support the suspension and laugh at those of you who don't understand that dustin ward is joking.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sat, Jan 17, 2015, at 1:50 PM
  • Pressing in the first quarter, I don't have a problem with. He should've called the press off after the first quarter. I don't have a problem with him playing his starters the first half. He called the press off and played his bench the 2nd half. I guess the only problem I have is him pressing in the 2nd quarter. He should called off the press and told his girls to run their half court offense. I don't think he should just pull the ball out and play stall ball. That would be just as or more humiliating for the opposing girls.

-- Posted by The Deuce on Sat, Jan 17, 2015, at 2:17 PM

Id still like to know who it was

-- Posted by Anon32 on Sat, Jan 17, 2015, at 7:34 PM
  • It was in California. If u click on the link at the beginning it will tell u the whole story

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Jan 17, 2015, at 7:40 PM
  • Must be a "legendary coach".

-- Posted by troll on Sat, Jan 17, 2015, at 7:59 PM
  • Pressing against an opponent with little or no skill does not in anyway help a team prepare for a tougher foe!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Jan 17, 2015, at 8:03 PM

Agree with semo7178,Zalma boy, and Preacher

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sun, Jan 18, 2015, at 12:36 AM
  • You know this is only something that could happen in California the suspension of the coach is pure lunacy. I know that we live in a very politically correct world and all but the basic fundamental of sports is that it is the other teams job to stop you and not the job of the coach. How is it fair the starters have to only play a half if that or that the reserves come in and can't go as hard as they can just because the other team isn't very good. Your subs don't get any better by going at half speed in fact thats how you create bad habits for them which is why they should play the game and not the scoreboard. The second and third unit also needs practice at pressing and trapping against somebody in a game situation so it appears that the team's coach was still doing his job to make his team better. Maybe they should have suspended the other teams coach for only scoring two points in a varsity game. Heck its not rec league its varsity sports.

The other teams coach should worry more about making his team better and less what the other team is doing. If you don't want to get beat that bad then do more to make your kids better. I would have wanted them to press me the whole time so we could get the practice against something we obviously need work on. If you only score two points in a varsity game and haven't won a game then we need to work harder. Heck if he didn't want it to get that ugly he could have started fouling until he ran out of players. At least then his team would have done something about it.

To quote Robert Ogle the coach of the Dixon 1969 state championship team after they beat Stoutland 172-36 "Its not my job to slow my team and if all we do is press then it is detrimental to do anything but that. I can not in good conscious stop my team because the ultimate responsible lies on the Stoutland Tigers to do that."

-- Posted by Friscofan05 on Sun, Jan 18, 2015, at 12:56 AM
  • Friscofan you're comments lack common sense. They lack the idea of sportsmanship. In short, because they deal with high school kids they are ridiculousy dumb. It has nothing to do with the other team. The kids on the other team will be fine win or lose and regardless of margin. It's a about class.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sun, Jan 18, 2015, at 10:52 AM
  • Friscofan05, I hope you're not a coach. Ogle was wrong and so are you. "Win at all costs" is part of what's wrong with sports today. It's just poor sportsmanship. Kids need to learn to win with class just as much as they need to learn to lose with dignity. Those are life lessons sports (and coaches) are supposed to teach that go far beyond the court or the field.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 18, 2015, at 12:37 PM
  • I am a coach actually and if they didn't want to get beat that bad get better or do something about it. They could have fouled out all their players or even just pulled it out and held the ball. Ogle was right his team won a state title hedid whatever it took to make his guys ready and didn't worry about other teams. SCC has been doing that for the last twenty years. Ozzyandharriet your comments lack common sense your trying to play the scoreboard and not the game. Ask any coach you know if that's a good idea. Preacher the life lesson I see is that the one team worked way harder then the other in the summer and off season. They reaped the benefits how about this what if the winning team stopped guarding all together. Let them shoot whatever shot they wanted would that have made it better? I would have been ****** if I were the losing coach if they did that. Its kinda like Bell City a couple years ago people complained about the blow outs but they did what they had to to get ready for state and they won it all twice and went to the final four five times in six years.

-- Posted by Friscofan05 on Sun, Jan 18, 2015, at 2:15 PM
  • How in the world could a team that gets beat by 50 plus hold the ball against that kind of team? And you say I lack common sense?

scott central didn't win state titles because they ran the score up. They won because they have Class 3 and 4 talent year in and year out and they play in class 1.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sun, Jan 18, 2015, at 2:33 PM
  • I can guarantee that after half time if that team down a hundred came out and held it the other team would let them. Your right SCC did have that type of talent for a long time but they didn't take it easy on anybody by any means or did they worry about how other peoples feelings were gonna be effected. They wanted to get better same with the Bell City teams that were dominant. BC went to the the final four five times in six years including two titles. They didn't let up at all which is the way the game should be played.

Its not the job of an opposing coach to worry about the other team. He can't coach both teams.

If the team that was beat 161-2 wanted Michael Anderson to worry about their team and help them get better they should ask him to go to their school to conduct a clinic with the kids on the short end of the beating lol.

-- Posted by Friscofan05 on Sun, Jan 18, 2015, at 3:06 PM
  • I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but if I'm correct there's a shot clock in high school in California. Thus the idea of holding the ball kind of goes out the window. Also, as a former athlete, there was nothing more embarrassing than when you're getting blown out and the other team would hold the ball against you. I would rather you put up 160 on me than beat me 80-20 and you hold the ball the entire 4th quarter.

-- Posted by semo501 on Sun, Jan 18, 2015, at 3:33 PM
  • This whole scenario is bush league. You never want to tell your players to not hustle, especially the bench players when they get a chance to play. But this goes way beyond that. Leave the blowouts for college or the professional ranks...It's the same reason teams don't jack up a shot as they are running out the clock at the end of a game, it's poor sportsmanship...I learned that my freshman year of college. I thought my coach was going to kill me because he was so mad. I learned my lesson real quick.

-- Posted by BonScott on Sun, Jan 18, 2015, at 5:38 PM
  • There is no way a team should beat another team by that much. Pressing when you are up thirty or more is wrong. Their coach should have told his players to hold the ball as long as possible Just a bad deal for everyone involved

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Sun, Jan 18, 2015, at 7:43 PM

If Frisco is a coach, he would not ever coach my son/daughter. His ethics and reasoning are asinine and pathetic.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sun, Jan 18, 2015, at 9:46 PM
  • When I coached, I loved to press. I beat some good teams and some bad by 30-40 points and at times ask if I pushed it too far. I would never beat someone by 160 pts. One can run the offense, keep the defense in the paint...and if you think the team is improving when they pressing a team and up by that much, all they are doing most of the time is learning bad habits. I would hope that most coaches today have more common sense...If not, get them off of the court.

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Sun, Jan 18, 2015, at 11:10 PM
  • Frisco is a coach Jolly and thats fine opinions are like you know whats and they all smell a bit. I could care less what any of you think bottom line the AD should have probably not scheduled a god awful team like Bloomington High School that's a legalistically mistake. If im not mistaken there is a reason that Arroyo Valley is 16-1 and are beating people by an average margin of 40 points. They put in the hard work and they are reaping the benefits of that. Say what you will about ethics and reasoning but I continue to teach and coach children everyday to get better. If that means getting blown out taking it in stride then so be it. If that means handing out a whipping or two so beat it but I can guarantee you Jolly your reasoning and ethics are flawed not mine.

-- Posted by Friscofan05 on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 10:03 AM
  • Frisco, has it ever occurred to you that some schools just have better talent and athletes? How do you know the practice habits of the losing team?...

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 10:14 AM
  • Frisco, if you blow my team out by 100 points and did the same antics this guy did in the game in California, you are getting an earful after the game. There is a certain level of respect for opponents, other coaches, and most of all the game, that those who are good coaches have. You clearly do not fall into that category. You obviously do not coach at the high school level, or you would know that there are certain scheduling conflicts that you can not get out of, say a contract that is signed for either 4 or 2 years. Who's to say that a team that is good this year will not be horrendous in four years? You guys can tear me apart all you want, I do not really care, but when I coach and my team is up big, I do all I can to not run the score up to an embarrassing number. If that makes my kids worse in the skill department, so be it, however it teaches them good life values and the ability to have compassion.

-- Posted by SEMOSportsfan1 on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 10:16 AM
  • A similar thing to this happened in this area about 23 years ago. The losing team was getting beat by 60 or 70 points at halftime(if my memory serves me correctly). The players were actually crying in the locker room. The team that was leading NEVER quit pressing. So the coach from the losing team had all of his players foul out in the third quarter. That's a sad deal all away around....Is that what high school sports is all about Frisco? Should those kids have practiced harder?

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 10:21 AM
  • The only loser here is you Frisco! Now, how about you post your true name so we know who to keep our children away from.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 11:34 AM
  • The ole "I can't hold me back or we can't win tomorrow" argument is bologna. I do however disagree somewhat with others in why you don't do this. For me, it has nothing to do with the welfare of the kids on the other team. They will wake up the next day and be fine. I know this because I've been on that side of the coin.

It's all about class and the example you set for me. Nothing is gained by doing what your doing in that situation. Let's be real. This type of situation where a team loses by over 100 points rarely happens. So showing class when this situation arises will not hinder your teams efforts going forward.

Also when is enough enough? If I see a score of 85-20 at the varsity level I'm not going to think much of that because that means that the bench probably got to play and contribute. Something that can be achieved without winning by 160 points.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 11:46 AM
  • Anyone who sees nothing wrong with a team winning 161-2 should not be coaching young boys and girls. When blowing another team out, a coach should be teaching class, honor, ethics, and compassion. Those are life lessons that the kids on the winning team will remember more than who scored how many points.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 11:57 AM

I support the suspension and laugh at those of you who don't understand that dustin ward is joking.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sat, Jan 17, 2015, at 1:50 PM

Sorry ozzy, but you're wrong about DW. He wasn't joking. DW has now shown the entire area he has zero credibility with his true colors. You should read his comments on the Delta HS Basketball forum where he posted comments on running up the score being a myth.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Thu, Jan 22, 2015, at 11:58 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: