Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: The Officiale 2014-15 Sikeston Bulldogs Hardwood Preview

Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 2:17 PM:

I would be remiss if I did not mention a specific fact to begin this preview. Last season, for some inexplicable reason, I did not provide Bulldog Nation, and Bulldog Nation haters, with my preseason preview. My first edition was the 2010-11 season and we all know how that ended....with a 30-0 state title. Each season until last year the Dogs advanced, at least, to the state quarterfinals. Last year, we did not win our district. It was OBVIOUSLY because I did not provide my hard-hitting, insightful preview of the team (insert sarcasm here). For that....I profusely apologize! (face palm) Please forgive me, Bulldog Nation! I am righting the wrong now! Go Dogs!

The 2014-15 edition of the Sikeston Bulldogs basketball team will be in a word, exciting! We have some new faces, a couple of returning players with some significant varsity time, and a few returners from a hiatus from the team. This group is as athletic as any Bulldog team in recent history. The overall team speed will also be noticeably improved.

With 12 points or so (approximately) returning from last year's senior-laden group, this team will have to learn on the fly. This COULD provide Bulldog Nation with some heartburn and excitement before the Dogs reach their stride in January and for the stretch run. What I mean by that is that with some relatively inexperienced players getting their first varsity time, this could lead to some ups and downs. I know the coaching brain trust had the boys working all summer to minimize this. Just have faith! Holifield and crew have got this! I expect GREAT things from this crew. I fully expect us to contend for a district title. The fact that the district tournament is in the friendly confines of The Fieldhouse gives me great hope.

As has been the case since 1998, the team will be led by Hall of Fame coach, Gregg Holifield. Additionally, no less important, the staff will be rounded out by Brian James (JV coach - Asst. varsity coach), Chris Sarakas (freshman coach), Derek James (8th grade coach), and Eric Voorhees (7th grade coach).

Now, I will discuss each player, individually, in no particular order. I don't want to get into who I think will start. I have an educated guess, but I will defer to the coaches as they know MUCH more than I do. I know they have earned the respect of not second-guessing them...at least they have from me.

Corbyn Blissett (Senior) - Corbyn is a returning player from last year's group. He is an excellent ball handler and prolific passer. CB has the ability to get to the cup and score with contact. Corbyn hit some big shots last year and I fully expect that of him this year as well. I also expect CB to be the vocal and emotional leader of this team. Also look for him to be among the team leaders in rebounding and assists.

Zach Jackson (Senior) - Zach returns to the Bulldogs after a year away. Zach bring athleticism, speed, passing, and perimeter shooting. Look for Zach to be among the team leaders in steals as he is a tremendous on-ball defender. His length and athleticism will be a great asset. He was definitely missed last year. He also has the ability to stretch the defense with his perimeter shooting and mid-range game. However, don't sleep on him with the ball in his hand. He can beat his defender off the dribble and finish with the best of them.

Luke Williams (Senior) - Luke will be looking to contribute to the team after a foot injury cut short his junior year. Luke brings some size to the team and will provide senior leadership. He will be a big time rebounding help and can score in the paint. Look for Luke to play at the back of the press and be among the leaders in rebounding.

Donnell Cobb (Senior) - Donnell will be a fresh face to the varsity group this year. Donnell will provide some length on the perimeter on the defensive end and can shoot it from the perimeter as well. His time as a safety on the football team will be a benefit to this spot on the press at half court and allow him to keep his "ball hawk" mentality. His speed will be a huge asset as well.

Dominique Dyes (Junior) - Dominique is one of the returning scorers from last year. Dominique is arguably the team's best shooter and will probably lead the team in 3's this year. The last offseason, Dominique has really stepped up his time in the gym and is becoming a weapon on the offensive end behind the arc. His speed is an asset as well as his ball-handling. He will play on top of the press and the zone and apply relentless pressure on the ball. Dom can also put the ball on the deck and get around a defender.

Anthony Coleiro (Junior) - Anthony is a new face to the Dogs this year. He joined the team this summer after he moved into the district. He brings a wide array of talents to the team. He is probably the strongest player on the team. He is an unbelievable finisher at the rim and his a soft touch inside the paint and from 12-15 feet. He also has the ability to shoot the 3 ball and beat a defender off the dribble. I would expect to see Anthony at the top of the press or at half court and probably on top of the zone using his length to cause problems in the half court for opponents. He has really adapted well to the Dogs' uptempo style. Look for Anthony to be among the team leaders in scoring.

Fred Thatch (Freshman) - Fred comes to the Dogs with much acclaim. Fred led his junior high teams to two undefeated seasons records and looks to bring his success to the varsity level. Fred will be on of the best passers on the floor due to his great court vision. His big frame and strength allow him to absorb contact and still get a shot to go down. Like the others above, Fred can put the ball on the floor and get to the cup. Look for big things from this young man. He will bolster an already formidable lineup. I expect Fred to be among the team leaders in scoring, assists, and rebounds. I expect Fred to be on the low block in the half court and at the back of the press.

Juwon Kimble (Junior) - Juwon is probably the most athletic player on the team. He has springs in his legs and can "jump out of the gym." He can dunk the ball anyway possible and look for some fast break alley oops. Juwon also has a very polished mid-range jumper and is a fantastic shooter and rebounder. As his strength increases, look for him to become a force in the post. His ability to leap high and quickly will put him near the leaders in rebounding.

Deterio Newman (Junior) - Deterio is the prototypical "motor" player. His motor never seems to quit as he seems to never get tired. He plays full out every second he is in the game and just flat out frustrates the other team. He has also developed a perimeter game and isn't shy about shooting. His tenacity on defense will cause LOTS of problems on the defensive end. Look for Deterio to be among the team leaders in steals and tipped passes. He also has an infectious attitude and brings energy every time he steps on the floor.

Jaylen Mallory (Junior) - "Nugget" is by far the fastest, quickest player on an already fast team. I would put his speed up to anyone in the area. He can switch off a light and be in bed before the light goes out. After a year hiatus, Jaylen is back and quickly becoming one of the vocal leaders. He will be an absolute terror on top of the press with his speed and quickness. He handles the ball well as his stature allows him to stay low to the floor and just flat out run by the defense. He has polished his passing and can beat you from the perimeter as well. Look for Jaylen to get lots of steals and beat TONS of players off the dribble which will cause havoc to opposing defenses when he gets into the paint.

Earnest Fobbs (Junior) - Earnest brings a level of toughness to this group that every team needs. He is sort of the "enforcer" on the floor and will be the guy who does the "dirty" things to help the team. He is an absolute ball hawk at half court on the press and could be a team leader in steals from that position. He had close to 20 steals in a 3 game stretch this past spring season. Earnest also just adds to the overall team speed. He is extremely quick from end to end.

There are a couple more in this deep lineup who could see some varsity action from time to time....Sam Cox, Phayzun Fobbs, and Marquan Nelson.

Sam Cox (Sophomore) - Sam can provide some speed and toughness and shoots the ball well from the perimeter. One of the "ball smart" players on the floor.

Phayzun Fobbs (Sophomore) - Phayzun provides another ball handler and good passer. He can really shoot it well from the perimeter and guards the ball very well.

Marquan Nelson (Junior) - Marquan comes to the Dogs via Kennett. He moved into the district this year and can provide some perimeter shooting. He has been very good this preseason.

As you can see, this group is VERY deep....probably as deep as we have been since the 2010-11 season. I hope that means similar results. I hope this little exercise provides some insight to what product the Dogs look to put on the floor this year. The SEMO Conference will, once again, be one of, if not the best, conferences in the state and will provide each team plenty of "big games" for a playoff run. I believe this edition of the Dogs have a chance to make some noise if they keep working hard and improving like I know they will. The Dogs, under the direction of our brain trust, seem to hit their stride in January through the end of the season. It's almost time to go! As Jaylen Mallory says it best..... "Let's get it!!" Go Dogs!

Replies (115)

• I actually forgot a couple of players.... Chris Appleton, Kentrez Pope, and Jason Moore. They all will play a part in the success of this team. Chris and Jason can flat shoot it from the perimeter and Kentrez can get it done on the defensive end of the floor. Just more from the cupboard..... Go Dogs!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 2:51 PM
  • Nice work Rocketman. I especially liked the European flavor of the thread title, "Officiale". Its pronounced "O-fish-ee-AHH-lay" just like "Frah-GEE-lay" in A Christmas Story!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 4:12 PM
  • Sounds like everyone is tough, fast , can jump, shoot, athletic, and play defense.

-- Posted by yaeger on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 4:42 PM
  • Dang Rocket, according to your account all of Sikeston players are outstanding in at least 1 or multiple skills..looks like they are loaded.. with that kind of talent and depth will anyone around here have a chance. A high school team that skilled and deep are very rare. They are gonna have tons of expectations.

-- Posted by indian73 on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 4:54 PM
  • My thoughts exactly, sounds like they've already won the title

-- Posted by yaeger on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 4:58 PM
  • U know I love it I seen my sons name. But be prepared cause u know the haters will be on here anytime now.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 5:01 PM
  • And let the fun begin!

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 5:03 PM
  • Lol!! I knew Dean would show up. U notice he said come January so everyone can play until then. U know I'm joking. I never count chickens before they hatch because all the wolves will be waiting.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 5:20 PM
  • I can't wait to read The Dean's preseason preview of Charleston! I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to sound a lot like Rocket's description of Sikeston.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 5:33 PM

Well, hey, that was quite the description. You're the man Rocket. I definitely agree that the team will take a little while to get rolling on all cylinders, but when they do watch out. It could be something special, but we won't count our chickens before they hatch. Go Dogs.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 6:29 PM

Great post Rocket! Also, our JV team will have some depth to it also. Going to be an exciting 2014-2015 season!

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 6:34 PM

TFA, your son is among stars!! Sikeston sounds like they ought to have 6 or 7 D-1 players out of this group!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 7:04 PM
  • You never know JSTT. Some thought JT wasn't going to get any playing time at SEMO and yet he is and doing pretty good. So we may have some.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 7:13 PM
  • I hope u guys are being sarcastic about the d-1 talk!!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 7:43 PM
  • U bet he is and I'm just coming back

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 7:57 PM

I Think HE's Saying, that the Sikeston Bulldogs, have enough GRITTY DEFENSE,to score 21 points of steals/turnovers...to layups.Like that 30-0 Bulldog team. They Use The Formally Charleston Has Used Forevever. THE BIG D.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 8:22 PM
  • I have posted my honest assessment with a dash of biased commentary. Lol.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 8:23 PM

That team didn't have ANY DUKE BLUEDEVIL SIGNEES,and yet went 30-0 in Class 4.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 8:23 PM

THE BIG RED D-SIKESTON BULLDOGS. Hey....remember the KILLER BEES? 91-92

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 8:25 PM

Remember when Allen Hatchett, Steven Geralds, and Garret Taylor led the Bulldogs to the promise land, to state in 95?

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 8:28 PM

FORMULA.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 8:29 PM

TFA, of course I'm just messing with you but don't get over excited about JT at SEMO. They have only played expedition games. Everybody plays in those. It's like the NFL Preseason before they cut the free agents.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 8:34 PM
  • Doesnt matter he's still playing!! Don't care what kind of games they are he's playing and scoring.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 8:38 PM

Calm down, TFA. LOL I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just informing you so you don't have false expectations.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 8:51 PM
  • I'm feeling faint, you're not trying to be mean. Miracles do happen and I'm sure u know about miracles. 😇

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 9:04 PM

LOL!!! Yes, I do, TFA! Just for the record, I only make stern posts when someone else is being mean and I need to get my point across.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 9:17 PM
  • JST...I think you may be surprised how much playing time he gets when they go to Cali later this week.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 9:21 PM

Rocket689, I hope so! It's always good to see local talent do well!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 9:33 PM
  • ciri...I'm glad you picked up on the spelling. You said it just like I was when I was writing the piece. Ha!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 9:41 PM
  • I can't wait to read the the threads when the Jackson Indians and the Central Tigers put the lease back on the bulldawgs again this year. There is maybe one player you mentioned that would make the starting line up for either CT or Jackson.

-- Posted by TheBigBarker on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 9:56 PM
  • Barker....last year the Dogs split with Cape and lost to Jackson in overtime AT Jackson. The Dogs could have just as easily won the game against Jackson as lost it. The Dogs beat Cape by 15 two weeks prior to losing to them by 15 or so. I would say the teams were evenly matched last year.

Your statement about the one player starting for either team is just silly and is certainly your opinion. It is incorrect, but nevertheless it is your opinion as is my opinion about the Dogs.

Putting the leash back on the Dogs....I guess we will see in a few weeks.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 11:11 PM
  • I think it's weird how Cape and Jackson is supposed to be such big rivals but their fans (some) hate Sikeston more. Seems like we are more of a threat to them than each other. Or maybe they just don't like our fans. Lol!! Don't care about that.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 5:30 AM
  • Thanks Rocket for well thought out, and well written assessment of the 2014-15 Bulldogs. I too have said on this blog that the bulldog will be "More Athletic, Faster, and Quicker than in the recent past." I also have told friends that if you are going to beat the Bulldogs it will have to be before Christmas.

Also thanks for the reminder to all the folks touting Cape and Jackson success last year.

I think the coaches are looking at 4-5 seed in the SEMO Conference tournament. This means that we could play the #1 seed in our 2nd game and #1 in their 1st game. I like our chances.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 6:56 AM
  • Sikes will be very good, no doubt. But I agree that this assessment sounds like the best team ever assembled. They aren't going undefeated and I know this report doesn't say that either. . There are too many good teams around, this isn't football. The SEMO Conf is loaded with talent again. I expect Jackson to get 1 seed in SEMO tourney, Cape 2, Sikes 3 followed by Notre Dame, New Madrid, Charleston, Bluff, Kennett and Dexter. This is arguable to say the least but close. I would not be surprised if any of top 6 win it.

-- Posted by bball79 on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 7:59 AM

TFA!! We LOVE Sikeston up this way!! Why do you say such things! LOL

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 8:58 AM
  • Yes I can tell, your kin would be so upset with you if they cared. Lol!

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 9:49 AM

Man y'all I have missed the basketball talk on this board. Of course I have missed the Sikeston hate talk even more so everybody sit down, scoot up to the table, and put a napkin in your lap because it's time for Semoball's bread and butter season Basketball( or when everyone really hates Charleston and Sikeston).

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 11:17 AM
  • just whot is the dealio racket698?? u dd not talk bout my beercats beeing goode this year bub. u evan now annthing bout sikenton Bucko? thy ain that gona be goode that goode bub. i thhinks they wonet win the semo codfeance tournememt Bucko. i think popular bluff will win.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 11:38 AM

But in all seriousness I understand the skepticism of Rocket's assessments. I know when everyone has an ability to get to rim and hit mid range everyone rolls their eyes. As a fan who is far removed from the team and coaches in the summer I will say that I would love to see these guys hit mid range and 3s with more consistency and their is a potential for that but no guarantee.

Now where I will agree with Rocket is that this team is even more athletic than your average Sikeston team( that's awesome considering that they are at worst the 3rd most athletic team in the area in the PMP era) that's post Michael Porter era btw. They will quite possibly be the fastest team in the area and as deep as they were in 2011 when it comes to speed. Of course they lack a lot of true size as usual but that athleticism should translate to rebounds as the season goes on and a young team gets more savy about how to use that athleticism. There will lots of action at the rim in terms of scoring but if this team can develop someone who can shoot 3s in the vain of Ruffin than the team can challenge not only for districts but deeper in the state title hunt

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 11:40 AM
  • Wow, Rocket...they sound awesome! You should set up a game at the Show Me Center between the 12-deep, full of Division 1 prospects Bulldogs & the NBA Sixers!

-- Posted by BigCat on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 1:50 PM

Nice preview Rocket689,IMO Sikeston has to fix one glaring weakness from last year they have to find someone like ruffin who can flat stroke the three! If they don't the games will get tight late in the year and they won't make it to the promise land!

-- Posted by porchswing on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 2:00 PM

Just now getting to read this, good job Rocket. Nice assessment and well thought out. I'm ready for games to start!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 2:29 PM
  • porchswing....I think they have that in Dominique Dyes. He has really been working on that. I think he is going to surprise some people this year. In fact, I believe this team is going to surprise some people this year.

Thanks, Buck. Much appreciated.... I'm ready for games as well!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 6:26 PM
  • I'm not sure how Sikeston is going to be better than last year when you lose two players like Vashaun Ruffin (Class 4 POY) and JT Jones.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 8:44 PM
  • Ruffin wasn't on our team last year, he graduated the year before.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 9:28 PM
  • That's what comes from getting old TFA. Lol. Still have to replace Jones's production though.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 9:54 PM
  • Preach, the Dogs do have a lot to replace.....actually 8 seniors. I mentioned that they only have 12 points or so returning from last year. No one will be able to replace JT....no doubt. But, the "experts" said we couldn't replace Michael Porter either. We actually won a state title AFTER Michael. Neither JT nor Michael are replaceable... We don't replace, we reload. I think Coach Holifield and the Sikeston brain trust have a proven track record of doing just that.

Actually, I hope everyone overlooks the Dogs. The underdog role is just fine....

TFA...thanks for pointing out that Vashawn graduated two years ago.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 10:43 PM
  • No one is overlooking Sikeston. It would not be smart to do that.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 10:54 PM
  • I know this is Sikeston thread but I'm just putting this out there but no one should overlook a lot of teams this year but I'm thinking one of my favorites will be New Madrid. After Sikeston of course. And Preach I had to ask my son to make sure about Ruffin. I know all about getting old. Lol!

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 5:32 AM

I am sure Sikeston won't be overlooked by anyone. It's just tough to believe that they'll be this untouchable powerhouse as some have described in other threads when they lost so much. All of these players who haven't been really tested at this level of play will have a "proving period" and that could last longer than you think. It could be 5 games or 15 games.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 5:41 AM

Yes, TFA, NMCC will be a force to be reckoned with! I don't think it's logical to just say either one of those teams will win the SEMO conference tourney that includes Cape and Jackson.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 5:45 AM
  • U always make me laugh. I will root for anyone to win it besides those 2 well maybe not Notre Dame. Lol!!

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 6:38 AM

LOL!! I'm not challenging who you root for. Good luck to the Bulldogs. We'll revisit this post tournament time.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 7:14 AM

The time to beat Sikeston would probably be before Christmas, but even if they do get beat it won't be a blowout. It'll be close.

Also, this is the biggest team overall in the past 4 or 5 years. Got a tad bit of size lurking, just a tad.

We'll see, right Rocket?

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 11:34 AM
  • SEMO Conf seeding next Wednesday, the 19th. Hard to figure before any games are played. But Sikes not sneaking up on anyone. All know what to expect from them. They will be one of the areas best teams again. They are deep and quick, no doubt.

-- Posted by bball79 on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 11:53 AM
  • Just for fun seedings:

Jax

Cape

Sikes

Jayz

Catholics

Nmcc

Bluff

Kennett

Dex?? If in tourney, cant remember

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 12:39 PM

Yes Dexter is in the tourney. This may be a dumb question but would Cape still be a high seed? They are good but since their football season is still going, their key players won't have enough practices in so they will be inelgible for the Conference tourney. And so, they won't be as productive. I may be wrong but can anyone help with that?

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 12:45 PM

The minimum practices rule does not apply to athletes transitioning from one sport into the next.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 1:00 PM
  • Rocket, Sikeston is always deep, athletic, fast, and plays great defense. That's Coach Holifield's trademark and I don't expect this team to be any different. This team is so inexperienced at the varsity level though and that's the big question mark for me for Sikeston going into the season. But I have no doubt they will be in the mix for a conference and district championship when it's all said and done.

Ciri, the SEMO Conference tourney is really wide open right now, but based on last year's finish and what each team has coming back, here's how I would seed it:

1. Cape Central

2. Jackson

3. NMCC

4. Charleston

5. Notre Dame

6. Sikeston

7. Poplar Bluff

8. Kennett

9. Dexter

Any of the top six seeds could win it all IMHO.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 1:43 PM
  • Preach, I think you need to lay off of the holy water. 6th seed for the Dogs?!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 2:35 PM
  • REDDIRT DOG, there's just too many unknowns with Sikeston right now. Look at the talent the teams above them have coming back. And it's just my opinion. How would you seed the teams?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 3:05 PM
  • Seeds are pointless. Just draw straws.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 3:15 PM
  • With 9 teams in the tournament, how will the bracket be set up? Will the 8 seed play the 9 seed in the first game?

-- Posted by robbincrosby on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 4:14 PM
  • The first 2 are a toss up to me.

Jackson

Cape

Sikeston

NMCC

Ctown

ND

Poplar Bluff

Kennett

Dexter

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 4:48 PM
  • REDDIRT, I just can't see seeding Sikeston ahead of NMCC (who is bringing back Jimerson, Newsome, Clark, and Word) or Charleston (who is bringing back the best player in Semo in Del Bogan). But that's just my opinion.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 6:36 PM
  • sikeston's fans are the only fans i know to get whipped by 15 in a district title game, lose everyone the following year, and say nobody in the area will touch them after January when the team that beat em brings back the player who singlehandly beat them last year. bold for november.

-- Posted by TO1127 on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 9:06 PM
  • Got to say this for them, they're passionate and loyal. They stick with the team through thick and thin. That's a rare thing these days. Most people bail when the going gets tough.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 9:11 PM
  • And I wouldn't say Al Young single handedly beat them. Jamal Cox had 20 and Mikey Jones was responsible for the defensive work on J.T. Jones. Those guys played major roles that night.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 9:13 PM
  • TO...I didn't see anyone on this thread say that no one will touch them after January....at least I didn't say it. I said I believe they will hit their stride in January. I think another person said Sikeston COULD be vulnerable before Christmas. Either way....it's our opinion. It's just as valid as your opinion.

Regarding last year's district final.....Sikeston lost fair and square. Cape rolled the dice with a fluke defense and it worked....that's what their coach said about the defense. He didn't say "fluke" but he said (not verbatim) "We just let them shoot. If they were making the shots we would probably lose anyway." It happened to work that night....I hope he rolls the dice again. I like our chances....especially at home.

Those gaudy orange walls and tight rims just drive me crazy. Ha!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 9:41 PM

TO, I was also curious as to who "singlehandedly" beat Sikeston last year? Because as semohoops said Cox had quite the game and Mikey Jones worked hard on JT.

Rocket, it wouldn't be quite as bad if all the orange would actually match! Its all contrasting and kills the eyes.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 12:08 PM

TO, I was also curious as to who "singlehandedly" beat Sikeston last year? Because as semohoops said Cox had quite the game and Mikey Jones worked hard on JT.

Rocket, it wouldn't be quite as bad if all the orange would actually match! Its all contrasting and kills the eyes.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 12:08 PM
  • No one in any team sport has ever singlehandedly beat another team. Teams win and teams lose.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 1:50 PM

I agree no one player single handily beats another team it takes a team effort.But if you watched that game last year Young was able to tuck the ball and get to the rim every time it seemed like!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 1:39 PM
  • Was JT Jones hurt seen where he only got 2min in 2 games out in Cali?

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 7:08 AM
  • That'll be his average, he isn't good enough for D1

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 7:36 AM
  • You saying J.T jones isn't D1 is like you saying Kobe is better then Jordan 2mins is normal its levels in college ball he is a freshman so he is on the bottom level he will be getting more PT all the season goes on just watch in see

-- Posted by earnest021 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 9:05 AM
  • Lets not get carried away with the comparisons, earnest021. I do agree with you, however. JT had a good outing in semo's first exhibition game with 14 pts 6 reb in 10 mins of play. Like you said there are levels and his minutes with only increase as he continues his career.

-- Posted by mk3 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 9:21 AM
  • With Bradley and Gray hurt i figured he might get more. If he don't get any minutes with those 2 guys out i don't figure he'll get any when they come back.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 9:35 AM
  • Probably not a lot, but those guys are seniors and they'll be gone next year. I can see JT getting more play starting next year. I still think he will get some this year as well.

-- Posted by mk3 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 9:45 AM
  • He got about 2 more minutes than I thought he would. He's going to have to keep working hard and keep a great attitude. Getting any time in the first half as a freshman that isn't even on full scholarship is about as much as anybody would expect. Sikeston people are proud of JT regardless of how many minutes he gets. Fans should applaud and support and pull for him. He's overcome much in his life to get this far and he's working hard. That's all anybody can ask. You agree BIGELW?

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 9:54 AM
  • How many minutes you get the first two games of your college bball career BIGELW?

-- Posted by Uwe Blab on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 10:04 AM
  • Yea i agree and regardless of what you guys think i do hope he does well and gets his degree but i'm just give my take on what i think these guys can do on the court. This is a sports website. Do i think he can play at Semo and help them no i don't but it's not that i don't want him to suceed in his life.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 11:30 AM

If you understand collegiate athletics you'll know that a coach will not play a "walk on" in front of players who are on scholarship. I tried to explain to some Sikeston fans that exhibition is just what it says. It's a time to take a look at everyone in game situations. JT is not a bad player but won't see much action as a "walk on". If Coach Nutt decides that he is a scholarship player he'll be given a scholarship in January or next school year. Then he'll be in the mix. Benching a scholarship player to play a "walk on" is like paying one person to do a job but allowing them to sit down while someone else does the work for free. That isn't how it works!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 12:37 PM
  • little elw, have you seen a doctor about your passive aggressive issues? You might want to have that checked out.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 12:59 PM

I don't know how tall exactly JT is but if he was at least 6'4 to 6'5 he has the body to be dominant as a power forward. He doesn't have the agility or ball handling skills to play any smaller so he'll have to use that body to make up for height.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 1:07 PM
  • If that's the case then you should support him and encourage him. I'm not sure posting comments about how he can't do this or that is very helpful.

And I agree Truth, people are expecting him to see these huge minutes as a walk-on true freshman. That's just not realistic, no matter who was absent from the game.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 1:35 PM
  • No question about it, size is what makes the difference at the collegiate level. JT is about 6-2, maybe 6-3. Division I college recruiters just aren't going to be chasing after a 6-2 post player. If he's 6-5, then he's going to get a lot more attention. But you can only control what you can control. JT is 6-3ish and will get all he can out of his abilities.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 1:39 PM

Shots fired BIGELW!!

I know JT rather well and he is as big a competitor as anyone, of course he wants to help the team win. But he IS a walk-on as mentioned, and he just wants to help the team win. If helping his teammates and brothers win the games on the court means practicing incredibly hard to make them better, then I'm positive he'll do it. His time will come with hard work, which I'm confident he will continue. And when his times comes, he will want the younger players practicing hard to make him better. It's a cycle in any sport and the sooner a player/team figures that out, the better they will be.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 2:01 PM
  • Umm Hansbrough started as a freshman and scored 40 against Georgia Tech, so yeah freshman can contribute. Jt was good in high school, just like Ruffin. Where's he at now

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 2:29 PM
  • Hansbrough was a 6'9" All-American. Those guys are exceptions. JT is a walk-on. I'm not sure where the confusion about this comes from.

Ruffin is a starting guard at Three Rivers.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 2:35 PM
  • Because Sikeston fans act like this site is dedicated to them. It's not all about Sikeston,supposedly by reading this forum this team is unbeatable

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 4:04 PM
  • I don't know yaeger but I'm thinking this forum is about Sikeston from the title, if u read other titles on this forum u have lots of Lamar and Malden, Cape and Jackson so I'm thinking we don't think its all about us but thanks for reading and commenting on OURS!

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 5:13 PM

TFA, are you being mean?? LOL I hear a little agitation in your tone. LOL You know I'm only kidding!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 6:05 PM
  • Nope just speaking the truth, literally! Lol

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 6:12 PM
  • TFA....you are exactly right. THIS thread is about Sikeston. If another poster wants to start another thread about another team....feel free to do so. There happen to be a lot of Sikeston fans on this site. If you want more to support your team, then recruit them to join. Other than that, you willl have to live with the Sikeston fans or not come to this site. We are on this thread to discuss the current Sikeston roster. If you don't like what is being said, then don't comment and move on to another thread. If you do make a sarcastic or otherwise demeaning comment about a current, former, or upcoming player expect to get some backlash.

Regarding JT....I happen to know him very well also. He has overcome a lot to get where he is. Someone asked about his minutes in Cali, then yaeger says he "isn't good enough for D1." Really? Did JT get dropped from the roster? I swear I just watched him play against Loyola Marymount Friday night. Hmmm... I guess that means he IS good enough to play D1.

yaeger....when Sikeston plays Bernie this year, I'll take Sikeston. How about you?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 6:31 PM
  • Yaeger has an inferiority complex.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 6:53 PM
  • Yaeger you must be new. Otherwise you would already know that this is Sikeston's message board. And yes, we encourage all fans to start their own threads on other teams and we will try not to hijack those with Sikeston material. But no promises ;)

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 8:57 PM
  • Geez hoops, you've been on here long enough that u know to emphasize the IS before Sikeston. 😀

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 6:35 AM
  • Does Rocket salivate when writing about Sikeston high school sports?

-- Posted by BigCat on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 1:21 PM

Does BigCat salivate when choking on a fur ball?

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 2:23 PM
  • Please, lets all remember to maintain proper decorum per semoball's policy.

Beat him to it!

-- Posted by Uwe Blab on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 2:39 PM
  • Are you referring to me, Uwe? Go right ahead, you're doing a great job! Lol.

But seriously, this is nothing! Wait until the Sikeston-Charleston game and it'll really get ugly!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 2:42 PM

This is my normal shtick. Like preach said wait till Charleston v Sikeston. Heads will roll and 1-2 posters get a ban a year

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 3:41 PM

I think Scott City could beat both Charleston and Sikeston this year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 3:49 PM

EVERYBODY GET BUCK BEFORE HE LEAVES THE FORUM!

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 4:24 PM
  • Jackson has several kids that are 5-12 or taller so I think we may have a shot this year!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 4:29 PM
  • It sounds to me like Sikeston will be playing Kentucky for the National championship.

-- Posted by jayrod on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 10:28 PM

I don't think anyone wants to play Kentucky right now, they dominated Kansas. #BigBlueNation

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 2:06 PM
  • Sikeston 30-0 team would beat them hands down

-- Posted by yaeger on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 2:38 PM
  • They'd have to have a couple weeks of practice to get ready seeing as they haven't played as a team in 3 1/2 years. After that, no problem.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 3:00 PM
  • Ya got jokes! You guys are hilarious.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 5:25 PM

That 30-0 team was as LEGIT as it gets. The amount of focus all those players had, even the ones who didn't play was remarkable.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 6:12 PM
  • Dogs will be fun to watch but several other teams will be as well.

-- Posted by PManning_is$$$$$ on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 10:12 PM
  • Sikeston will always be well coached!

-- Posted by Laker1 on Thu, Nov 20, 2014, at 12:02 PM
  • Sikeston will always be well coached!

-- Posted by Laker1 on Thu, Nov 20, 2014, at 12:02 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: