Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Best Teams Entering 2014-2015 Season

Posted by maxxsports on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 4:50 PM:

List your top 10 best teams from the southeast MO area entering the 2014-2015 season

Replies (209)

• Not in any particular order:

Sikeston

Notre Dame

Cape

Poplar Bluff

Charleston

Jackson

New Madrid

Not sure after the above....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 5:56 PM
  • SEMO conference is gonna be tough this year. Should be interesting and exciting!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 8:36 PM
  • People are going to have a big issue with Jackson.

With Reynolds and Wendel back, it will be hard to mess with those two.

Charleston has Delfinko Bogan. That is self-explanatory.

Cape Central also has the pieces to have a good season.

This will be a good year for SEMO.

-- Posted by youarebad on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 9:50 PM
  • Can we go ahead and start basketball and just forget football?

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 9:59 PM
  • Not a chance TFA! Lol.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 10:45 PM
  • You mean I have to suffer through the rest of the season? Dang it!

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 10:51 PM

Notre Dame

Sikeston

Cape

Charleston

Jackson

Nmcc

Kennett

SCC

Bernie

Dexter/Woodland

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 11:44 PM
  • I don't think I would put Dexter or Woodland in the Top 10 just yet porchswing. Poplar Bluff, South Pemiscot, Clearwater, Clarkton, and Hayti should all be pretty solid teams. Caruthersville is a real mystery right now. Just not sure who they have coming back.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 11:55 PM

Clarkton will also be good,Out of the area a little i think Doniphan will be better this year.Also seen South Iron beat Bernie and SCC at rib city Park hills and Eminence will be good as well!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 11:58 PM

I agree on bluff kind of missed them but Dexter and Woodland will both be improved a bunch.Just going out on a limb a bit lol!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sat, Sep 13, 2014, at 12:02 AM
  • I agree Dexter and Woodland should be improved. Woodland has another new coach, so we will see how that does. Leopold should be pretty good again this season too.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Sep 13, 2014, at 12:07 AM

I will also add that NMCC will have one of their best teams in quite some time!Buck will have alot to cheer for this year!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sat, Sep 13, 2014, at 12:09 AM
  • I agree about New Madrid, I think they will be pretty good

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Sep 13, 2014, at 7:15 AM

NMCC should win districts this year since Charleston moved to district 2

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Sat, Sep 13, 2014, at 7:39 AM

My high school alma mater may not lose a basketball, district tournament game for a while...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 8:22 AM
  • Even the people from Charleston has no clue what kind of team they will have this year straight. They have Del who can do a lot but they don't know who else.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 11:05 AM
  • porchswing

I agree Clarkton and NMCC will be really good.

Do you think Woodland will be improved or just as good as they were last year?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 2:20 PM
  • I might pick NMCC to win the SEMO Conference. Not sure how Cap4 Central will factor in this year.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 4:19 PM
  • NMCC should have depth outa this world...

-- Posted by indian73 on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 4:19 PM
  • Jackson should be the top dog in SEMO this winter. New Madrid County Central should challenge Sikeston, Charleston, Cape Central and Notre Dame for top billings as well. I predict that we will go into this basketball season hearing about how much Sikeston and Charleston are down. Then by The middle of January we will be talking about how good both of these teams are, once again. If NMCC can get over the mental hump they will have a great chance to get past Charleston and get to the final four.

In class 4 I'll still take Sikeston. Even after losing to Cape Central in last years district final I still give them the edge. That's not to say that a ND or Cape can't beat them. Kennett is there to, but losing Akeem Nelson hurts.

At the Class 2 level it's going to be tough. Of course everyone will crown SCC the champs before the season is even tipped. But they will not walk through the Bernie's and south Pemiscots like they did class 1. Also look,for Bloomfield, if they are able to get improved ball handling to make some noise as well.

In class 1 this should be the year that South Iron gets back to the final four. Class one in the Bootheel will be tough with Clarkton leading the way. Also look for Bell city to have a real shot at winning their district.

I hate ranking all teams together regardless of class size. You always see a good smaller school ranked ahead of a average large school that would beat the small school most of the time.

Very early large school preseason rankings

1-Jackson

2-Sikeston

3-new Madrid county central

4-cape central

5-charleston

6-Norte dame

7-Kennett

8-poplar bluff

9-dexter

10-Hayti

Teams knocking on the door would include Woodland who would possibly win class 3district 2 if not for charleston moving into that district. Twin rivers and Senath and Malden are formidable as well

Small school preseason rankings

1-Scott county central

2-Bernie

3-south pemiscot

4-Bloomfield

5-clarkton

6-neelyville

7-advance

8-bell city

9-oak ridge

10-Oran

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 4:33 PM
  • Good point whitlock. I forgot about Jackson's size. Might be a tough matchup head-to-head for NMCC.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 4:45 PM

Dustin,I think Woodland will be much improved with Beal and Reynolds inside out and they have nice players with them.jwhitlock really enjoy your post looks like you have put some thought into it!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 4:53 PM

Yeah I think NMCC will be pretty good this year. I'm really excited!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 6:47 PM
  • East Prairie is a team that could get to the class 3 district 2 championship game! Most people sleep on them they were 12-12 last year. And return their whole roster excluding Damion Tipler. NMCC will be a force in the Semo conference.

-- Posted by Real Sports Analyst on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 8:08 PM
  • Losing Tipler will be tough on EP. They do return a nice complement of guards. They will have a good year.

Dustin-it's certainly possible that a NMCC could beat Jackson. But I think Jackson will have too much size to go along with pretty solid guard play. Some people in Jackson like to criticize coach Scott, which is kind of funny. He's a very good coach.

Porchswing-woodland could be primed to have a good year in the Stoddard county conference. Reynolds is a very good player and the have good size with a 6-3 and a 6-6 to go along.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 8:21 PM

I think NMCC could give Jackson a very good game. Only lost by 7 to them last year, at Jackson. That was also the period right before Javarcus Word had a much bigger expanded role (only had 1 field goal against Jackson I believe), and the transition period where we were down about 5 guys, 3 to injury and 2 disciplinary. Also Jackson lost some quality players, arguably their best player, and NMCC will have everyone back. So I think it will be a very exciting game! But UK probably more biased haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 9:10 PM

Im* not UK lol. I guess I type UK to much on my autocorrect!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 9:10 PM
  • I think it will be hard for Woodland to repeat the success it had last season at the SCAA Tournament. With this being said I also think their win total will increase this season with a more veteran team.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 9:16 PM
  • I'm anxious to see what the Indians will be this year. Only two returning starters. They lost several seniors from last year for the first time in a while.

I must say they looked very good at Rib City though.

High hopes for another good year for Jackson! !

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 9:46 PM
  • Don't underestimate Cape Central with Young and Statham returning plus the addition of Peyton Montgomery. I believe they will be the team to beat, along with NMCC, in the Semo Conference.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 10:07 PM
  • I almost always agree with Preacher.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 10:15 PM
  • The SCAA Conference will be stronger this season. Top six teams may have chance to get to conference championship.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 10:27 PM
  • Nmcc returning players

Willie Jimerson 5'9"

TJ Clark 5'9"

Mikael Walker 5'9"

Javarcus Word 5'6"

Ashten Newsom 6'3"

Vontre Jones 6'3"

Gage Silman 6'2"

Drew Palmer 6'

Kyle Causey 6'

Grayson York 6'5"

Chris Farr 6'1"

Drew Pikey 6'3"

Palmer Campbell 5'11"

First nine mentioned extensive varsity exp.

Last four could contribute off last yrs jv..

Not counting someone I may have missed..

Thats quite a bit returning exp...

-- Posted by indian73 on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 10:29 PM
  • I knew it...6'2" Larry Mcintosh could contribute also.

-- Posted by indian73 on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 10:30 PM
  • Wow...Travis Day has to be ready for this season to get underway....lots to work with.

-- Posted by indian73 on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 10:35 PM

Deondrey Jenkins, 6'2 also played very good at the end of last season and I could see him contributing a lot this year. Especially down low, he's very strong (pushed Monroe around quite a bit in the district game vs. Cville last year, and we all know how strong Monroe is).

Tyler Sprouse also had a very good JV year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 10:36 PM
  • As far as the SCAA goes, Bernie, Dexter, Bloomfield, and Woodland should all be pretty solid teams. Can Bell City translate their success from last season's JV to the varsity level? And as far as Advance goes, who is going to score for them now that Lane Below has graduated? Richland is probably going to be the #8 in the league again unfortunately.

In the SEMO Conference, Cape Central, NMCC, and Notre Dame all return a ton of talent from last season. Dexter should at least be competitive this season but will probably still be toward the bottom of the standings. In Charleston, who is going to step up and help Del Bogan? In Sikeston, who is going to replace J.T. Jones? The same question with Kennett with their best player Kevonte Mitchell graduating and Akeem Nelson lost to injury? Poplar Bluff and Jackson lost a lot to graduation too, so there are many question marks with all these teams. It should make for a very interesting season, esp. early with the seeding for the SEMO Conference Tournament.

I don't see anyone seriously challenging Scott Central in the Scott-Mississippi Conference. Oran, Chaffee, and Oak Ridge all lost a lot of talent to graduation and/or transfers. East Prairie lost Tipler to graduation, but have most everyone back, but who will replace his scoring? Kelly and Delta haven't been competitive in years.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 10:49 PM
  • Top 7, but it's too early to put them in order.

-New Madrid

-Jackson

-Cape Central

-Sikeston

-Poplar Bluff

-Norte Dame

-Charleston

-?

-?

-?

Each one of these teams with the exception of Sikeston have at least one player that can be considered a "star player" (the best high school basketball player in the area). Sikeston has depth and strength is having a lot of quality players verse a "star player". They have a move in, but I haven't seen him play yet. With one player like that in high school basketball in our area, you can manage to win 15 games by simply having a "star".

-- Posted by coachporterjp3 on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 10:54 PM
  • There you go Buck..we have put together nmcc 15 man roster...lol

-- Posted by indian73 on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 10:55 PM
  • Oops...16 man roster.

-- Posted by indian73 on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 10:58 PM

I knew we could do it haha!!

I also agree with Preach and Coach Porter's thoughts.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 11:00 PM

Woah settle down there lol ;)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 11:00 PM
  • Oops is right indian73! Lol.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 11:02 PM
  • Sorry..kinda overdid it on my send button.

-- Posted by indian73 on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 11:03 PM
  • I've heard that Sikeston has a new star player coming. That could really change the landscape of the SEMO conference.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 11:09 PM
  • If NMCC has that many returning with Varsity experience they are definitely going to be a force.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 11:14 PM
  • BuckMajor I think Vontre moved

-- Posted by coachporterjp3 on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 11:15 PM

He did, then he moved back to New Madrid haha

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 11:26 PM

It is going to be an interesting and entertaining basketball season. I hope that our area can produce multiple Final Four teams...Good luck to everyone (until you play us *wink*).

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 11:48 PM
  • STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON

My initial thoughts are it might be a tough year to do that. I do like Clarkton or Advance in Class 1 boys.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 12:10 AM
  • I stand by my thoughts regarding the Park Hills Central girls in Class 3 recent months. They have a great chance, if you want to count them as a southeast Missouri team / non-semoball.com school.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 12:14 AM
  • preach oak ridge isn't in the scott miss conference I don't think, Scott City is and may give Scott County a run for the best team in the conference this year.

-- Posted by sportswiz on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 12:14 AM
  • Predictions on which Class 1 boys teams gets to final four?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 12:27 AM
  • Class 1 boys District Alignments:

Class 1, District 1

Clarkton High School

Couch High School

Delta (Deering) High School

Gideon High School

Koshkonong High School

Naylor High School

North Pemiscot High School

Southland High School

___

Class 1, District 2

Advance High School

Bell City High School

Delta High School

Oak Ridge High School

Oran High School

Richland (Essex) High School

Risco High School

The Fulton School at St. Albans High School

___

Class 1, District 3

Bunker High School

Eminence High School

Leopold High School

Lesterville High School

Marquand-Zion High School

South Iron High School

Summersville High School

Zalma High School

___

Class 1, District 4

Bradleyville High School

Chadwick High School

Exeter High School

Hurley High School

Lutie High School

New Covenant Academy High School

Niangua High School

School of the Ozarks High School

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 12:46 AM

Charleston has a few freshmen who are expected to be role players who I know will be stars in the next year or two. Charleston always finds a way to compete.

Cape Central has a sophomore class who will contribute a lot to this years varsity team. I really like Statam, Young, and Reddin. I don't know what Montgomery has to offer on the court but I hear great things.

As much as I hate to admit it, Sikeston is going to have a solid year this year, but expect them to be monsters the following three years. Lots of young talent coming up!

Jackson Indians will be very solid this year, but much like Sikeston they have a class of freshmen that know how to win and will only get better. Cameron is a 6'7 freshman that has Division 1 caliber written all over him! I can't wait to watch the recruiting process!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 12:48 AM
  • Who are you referring to as PB's star player cause IDK of one.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 8:40 AM
  • It seems everyone is ready for basketball season. I think that we will have a very solid team this year, we may not have a "star" player but if you think about it when we won state we didn't have a star player we had a team.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 9:18 AM

Sikeston's so young...how can they be any good? Who is coming back? Can they score? Can they even get up and down the floor knowing JT is not down low waiting for the rock? Should they even field a team????

^Hope the sarcasm was caught...this team is gonna be fun to watch and probably stressful with the youth. But never will I ever doubt Coach Holifield and the Bulldog way, the winning way.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 9:34 AM
  • Sportswiz, you're right, Oak Ridge is no longer in the Scott-Mississippi Conference. I always forget that! Lol. As for Scott City, I did forget about them. I know they had a young team last season, but will they improve enough to be a serious challenger to Scott Central? I have my doubts, but time will tell and I hope the Rams have a great season.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 9:38 AM
  • I see Cape got a real nice Move-In with Peyton Montgomery..starting quarter back-- starting point gaurd...wow nice catch

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 9:42 AM
  • preach, if they play up to potential they should be good. They return all of their roster this year, and I think scott county lost there best player, but its their conference until someone beats them.

-- Posted by sportswiz on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 2:36 PM
  • I don't know of PB having a star player either. They should be decent though. Charleston always finds a way and Sikes will be like always....deep, all around 6' and lengthy, play hard. New Madrid will be a top team for certain. Have a lot of experience returning as was noted above. Cape ND has a lot coming back as well and Jackson should be very good. I really like the Reynolds kid. My Kennett Indians should be OK. The loss of Nelson to injury could be a key. Not sure how long he will be out. The Kinney kid, soph, is going to be very good I believe. If they have all their pieces, Kennett will be competitive, very quick. Coach Vaughan does a nice job. Cape Central should be solid with Al Young and Statem can really play. SEMO Conf loaded again looks like to me.

-- Posted by bball79 on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 4:15 PM
  • True, sportswiz, SCC lost Larandis Banks to graduation, but they bring back Jeffrey Porter and (I think) the rest of their starters from a state championship team.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 4:35 PM
  • New Madrid will be very good this year, I just don't see them beating Jackson. No matter how good their guard play is,they just won't be able to compete with Jackson's height. If I'm correct, their tallest player is 6"5' as to Jackson's 4th tallest player is that height. Cape will be good adding Montgomery along side of Young and Statum. Their bench doesn't seem very deep though, Jackson having the same problem. Charleston and Bluff looks to have a down year this year though charleston is returning former POTY Bogan but they don't have any size. Haven't seen sikeston's new transfer play but I've heard good things about him. Overall it should be an evenly matched semo conference. Should be another great year! Can't wait!!

-- Posted by Clownboy123455678987 on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 5:58 PM
  • More often than not xyz23, speed trumps size. Jackson had both last season which was why they were so good. We will see if Jackson has speed to complement their size this year.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 6:07 PM
  • Scott central lost at least two starters, maybe three. Doesn't matter as Jeff porter will be a premier player in semo.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 7:46 PM
  • a new class 1 with advance clarkton leopold and oran. bell city could surprise also bein young. leopold will have the best big man but not much more. oran brings back 4 starters. advance brings back 2-3. clarkton might have the best player. but either of these of teams will might be in trouble playin the west.

-- Posted by TO1127 on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 9:03 PM
  • Oran brings back 4 starters? I'm pretty sure they lost 3 or 4 starters. They could still be a factor in that district. Bell city is gonna be a big factor in district 2. That's a tough district when you include advance.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 9:33 PM
  • Keep up with Chris Stocks and Willie Lucas from Poplar Bluff. Going into the year the public may not know much about them, but if you attended SEMO Team basketball camp or seen them any in these summer shoot outs you'd know why.

Remember that SCC moved to Class 2.

-- Posted by coachporterjp3 on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 10:28 PM
  • Although not as big overall this year Jackson will be much quicker and more athletic than the last couple years.

They will still have good size in relation to most area teams though. Starters will range in size from 6-2 to 6-7.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 11:22 PM
  • TO 1127, Leopold's big guy transferred to woodland.

-- Posted by sportswiz on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 11:26 PM
  • I had the opportunity to watch Blake Reynolds from Jackson play a handful of times this summer and it was incredible. He has improved by leaps and bounds. His shooting from the perimeter rivals his finishing ability in the post. He could really challenge for POTY this season.

-- Posted by semo501 on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 3:17 AM
  • So Woodland got a real nice Move-In also ..nice move

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 6:27 AM
  • I know who Chris is I'm from PB I just don't see him as a star player. I think he'll be able to score a little and hopefully he's learned the difference in a good shot and a bad shot.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 9:28 AM
  • Wow dexter must of had some big time move in if there going to compete in the semo conf.

-- Posted by kid rock on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 1:33 PM
  • No big time move-ins, kid rock, just a lot of young, talented players that are getting bigger, stronger, and better. Having a new head coach makes us more hopeful as well.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 3:23 PM

The other teams in Class 3, District 2; how can you compare privates to an eleven time champ, multiple Final Four participant FIRST SERGEANT (Charleston)...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 3:48 PM
  • I agree don't ever count Charleston out

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 8:58 PM
  • oran has schlosser and priggol back and a couple more pretty sure. advance has the big sophomore and i think they had a really good jv. clarkton have anybody good besides the one boy

-- Posted by TO1127 on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 10:15 PM
  • Scott County Central will be one of the top teams in Southeast Missouri this season,2A all the way..

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 10:49 AM
  • I agree with those that believe new madrid will make it a far run this year them boys looked real good this summer

-- Posted by SEMO1997 on Mon, Sep 22, 2014, at 12:32 PM
  • Can anyone tell me who the teams are in the Riverbend Classic..??

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Mon, Sep 22, 2014, at 4:36 PM

I'll see if I can find an answer to that question.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 22, 2014, at 4:54 PM
  • Thanks Buck..

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 11:01 AM
  • I like the Riverbend Classic and the cape shoot out or what ever it is called.You see good semo teams and good out of area or out of state teams.

-- Posted by jayrod on Wed, Sep 24, 2014, at 3:58 PM

Yeah, who do we play this year: the San Antonio Spurs?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Sep 24, 2014, at 5:59 PM

I did find out that the local teams will be NMCC, SCC, Charleston and Kennett. Charleston won't be playing the Spurs, they have the LA Clippers this year! Nah just playing lol. I know West Memphis and newcomer Cairo will be there this year. Not sure on the other two out of town teams, heard there been some switch up. I'll try and find out.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Sep 24, 2014, at 8:10 PM
  • Cape isn't it? Hate to say this but Cairo fans and team was kinda rough last year. Might be some fights.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Sep 24, 2014, at 8:24 PM
  • When we played them. That is.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Sep 24, 2014, at 8:26 PM
  • I'm thinking SCC had problems with them last year and I don't even think Charleston plays them because of problems is what I heard. Man I like to go watch some good ball not that stuff. Hope it's different.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Sep 24, 2014, at 8:35 PM
  • Bloomfield will give SCC all they can handle and more

-- Posted by balldaylong on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 10:23 AM
  • scott county will probably win class 2 championship

NMCC should win class 3 district 1 but I heard Senath got victor dukes from jonesboro if so that could could be very interesting

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 10:15 AM

It'll take more than 1 move in to help Senath. That district is NMCC district to lose.

New Madrid, Jackson, and Cape Central are the best 3 teams in the area. Sikeston and Charleston will follow to make the top 5. Everyone else average at best.

I don't see Bloomfield beating SCC.

-- Posted by PoliticalCorrect on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 10:40 AM

The Semo Conference is going to be tough again this year.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 10:44 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MerJpZw7Puk

Is this the Victor Dukes who moved to Senath?

-- Posted by Sports Rat on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 12:14 PM
  • I really believe you guys are overlooking Sikeston and ND. The top 5 WILL BE:

Sikeston

Cape

Jackson

ND

New Madrid

Honorable mention PB Mules. They did lose their center and he was a big center at that. He was a game changer on the defensive end. With the reurning of Chris Stocks, you cannot count out this team. He brings the grit and determination to the Mules that can beat anybody on any given night.

Honorable mention 1b Charelston Blue Jays. You just cannot count these kids out any year. They have the best pg in our region in the likes of Del Bogan, who was the POTY last year and I believe will finish 2nd this year. This team is just unknown. Who's going to step up for them. Last year, Del's brother stole the show at the Show Me Center when he locked down JT Jones. Who will be that guy for them? Shandor Webester also left and has moved on to the next level. Just too many unknowns to put them in the top 5 and some could say the top 10.

The arguement I have for NM being at 5 is because quite frankly they underachieve every year. They are a top 2 team on paper, but not on the court at times. They need to mold as a group and play as a team. They have one of the best guards in the area and a really good post player. They have a lot of good players around them that do not achieve their full potential. Do I think they could be the best? Absolutely! I just believe that Jimerson doesn't have the tools around him to justify anything above 5.

ND at number 4. This was a tough choice to choose between them and Jackson. ND has a brand new coach and probably a new system they will try to incorporate. A lot of great players coming back espically with Quinn Poythress. Arguably one of the purest shooters....when he's on.

Jackson at number 3. Jackson is here because they lost their go to guy in Karson King. He was their leader on and off the court. Guys just followed his lead. With their size they make for tough matchups with some of the areas best teams. It's hard to teach size, espically with a soon to be Yale basketball player than can flat out play. Look for him to be the POTY this year.

Cape at number 2. Really solid team 1-6. Their bench just isn't what the starters bring to the table. The addition of Montgomery should make them very competitive. Al Young very, very good football player this year. Hopefully that'll transition to the basketball court and he can have a breakout season. Statum is just Statum. First year playing varsity football and he looks like a man amongst boys. Probably best DE in the area. He does transition well to the hardwood. He can knock it down from anywhere on the court and has the agility to play the point guard position. It'll be interesting to see what the loss of Jamal Cox does for this team.

Sikeston at number 1. They are sitting at number 1 because quite frankly they aren't in a transition phase...they have reloaded and reloaded very well. The new addition, his name I cannot recall off the top of my head, at guard has brought this team to a new level this year. I've heard people from Sikeston compare him to a bigger Del Bogan with the handles but not quite as fast. That's a HUGE statement and loftily goals set for this transferee. Not only him but Fred Thatch as well. I've seen him play with Team Ramey in the summers, he's a beast. Yes Sikeston lost the heart and sole of their team in JT Jones. They also lost a starter in Reece Porter, but this team will have the pieces to go further than last year. Also, the Blissett kid will play all year too. He was coming off a serious knee injury last year. Then you have the spark plug in Dyes. The guys moving up from JV just know how to win too. This team will be an overall tal team for Sikestok this year. Could have an overall average height of 6'3. That's huge for a Sikeston team. This team is an easy 10-11 deep. I can honestly say, it's their state title to lose. IF, districts is at Cape or ND, then it is up for grabs. If it's anywhere else in the district, Sikeston or Sikeston East....then lookout Columbia Sikeston is coming back after a year hiatus.

That is my take on basketball this year. A lot of people will disagree with me and that is ok. I just believe, going on past practices and the makeups of these area teams, this will be as close to accurate as they come. Let the debate begin.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 1:05 PM
  • Sikeston or Sikeston West*

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 1:22 PM
  • Sikeston has alot to prove before i would put them at #1. I will say if Jackson has any kind of point guard i would put them as the favorites with Cape close behind with the addition of Montgomery. I do agree with NMCC seems they have underarchieve quite a few times over the last few years.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 2:59 PM
  • The Dean, I never said Charelston was not going to be good. I never said that. I know you did not say I did. Just felt like you are implying that. Del is Del, no one can argue that. I just feel right now that they are not better than the others but time will tell. My opinion is my opinion. I do not think Charelston is better than Sikeston, Cape, Jackson or ND. New Madraid and PB is a different story. Those three teams are all interchangeable. We will see at the end of the season. And if I'm wrong am wrong. This is just how I see it.

Bigelw, Cape will be a good team this year. They have an upgrade in their guard play but downgraded on the center position. Who will fill in Jamal's shoes? Honestly, I do not think anyone will. Jamal didn't put BIG numbers up but it was his presence that made him good.

As for Jackson, no doubt they'll be good. Cape will beat them because Jackson is a traditionally slow team. Cape will not be this year. They have more than above average speed.

Sikeston, guys trust me on this....I have seen these area teams for many many years. Sikeston is loaded. Young and loaded. They have two retuning players this year too. One played last year for a half a season then stepped out for personal reason. Another guy who didn't play last year who was a starter as a sophomore, is returning to the Bulldogs too. Fred Thatch is young and his game will evolve. This transfer kid will be just fine.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 3:17 PM
  • Jackson may be traditionally slow. But not this year!!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 3:52 PM
  • That's the same Victor Dukes. Yes, he moved to Senath. Not sure under what circumstances but he is enrolled there. He's an athlete but they still don't have a lot to go with him. Their big man, lefty, tore his ACL and won't play this season. But he does give them an athletic presence that they wouldn't have had otherwise.

-- Posted by bball79 on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 4:10 PM
  • I think bball will be exciting this year. You can never count Charleston out that's for sure. New Madrid will be a team to watch. I think a lot of teams will have some talent so it will be exciting to watch. Can't wait!

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 5:05 PM
  • I didnt have time to elaborate earlier. Our point guard is going to be a very nice player. He handles it well and is a good shooter. As far as traditionally slow I will admit that has been the case in the past. This year however even our big guy will run the floor far better than the average 6-7 kid. The top six players are all quicker and faster than what you may have seen from Jackson recently. Really looking forward to seeing what they can do this year!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 6:05 PM
  • Does anybody know if The Timmons clan move back to scott central?

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 6:50 PM

I believe NMCC will win their district this year. Class 4 D1 will basically be the same as the past couple of years, it will come down to Sikeston and Cape. Being on JV this year, Sikeston does have some height than years past. Jackson will be another tough team to beat and it will be very interesting how the SEMO conference plays out this December. And also I'm excited for the Riverbend and wondering who's in it this year. I know NMCC, Kennett, West Memphis, Cario, and Charleston.

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 6:57 PM
  • SCC is in it.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 7:07 PM
  • Bum you're on JV this year? Is that right? If so u won't get to see much of riverbend Notre Dame tourney at that time. I only got to see the last night and that's it.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 7:11 PM

Probably depends on what time we play up there. So far it's not on the schedule on MSHSAA's website and they usually have the ND tourney there but for some reason they don't have it up this year. But if we can get done for the day early, then I'll catch some of the later games at NMCC

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 7:21 PM
  • I wouldn't count out Notre Dame in C4D1. Thats the group that was targeting their senior year as "the" year. A new coach may renew their enthusiasm. Will be interesting to see.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 7:57 PM

Who will be this years "Dark Horse" team(s) this upcoming season?

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 8:31 PM
  • This is a comment coming from someone who knows (not me). "Sikeston will be more athletic, quicker, and faster than in the past few years." I would add they will have at least 12 people who can play at a high level.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 11:29 AM
  • SHS59, I will not be able to attend all their games; however, that is what I'm trying to tell these people. Someone mint have someone's number in the summer league or messing around with street ball....this Sikeston team is the real deal. They have so much depth and athleticism it's unreal. I'm not saying 30-0 because they can and mostly likely will lose a few games. BUT the reason they won't get 30-0 is because this team doesn't have the "guy" to put them in their place when they mess up. On that 30-0 team they had Corey Porter. Everyone was quiet when he spoke. That's how much leadership was on that team. I know people are disagreeing with my top 5 but honestly wait and see.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 12:13 PM
  • SHS bum,

I believe the "Dark Horse" will be Charelston. They have so much unknowns with this team. Del and Coach Frazier will have them clicking on all cylinders by the end of the year.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 12:15 PM
  • So Sikeston has 2 returning players that played varsity yet all those JV guys are going to be that good? I know they'll be quick and turn you over with that press but will they be able to score in the half court if you can handle the press?

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 12:33 PM
  • No. That is an incorrect statement. They have 2 guys returning that didn't play last year. They played the year before and took the year off. They have at least 9 guys that at the varsity level last year. That's not including the transfer student.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 12:56 PM
  • Some people are so black and white. Kids that play for programs that are top notch and compete for titles every year step up. This doesn't mean they will necessarily win it every year, it just means they will be competitive every year. How many teams reach a district final and or win district finals consistently?

A few teams that come to mind and that fall into two different categories.

Been doing it forever:

Scott Central

Charleston

Portageville

Been doing it the last 8-10 years

Sikeston-I would NEVER bet against the Bulldogs

Bernie-4 district titles in 8 years and two trips to the final four

Risco-5 straight district titles

On the bubble

Oran-3 district titles in the last 10 years and one trip to the final four. If this was a baseball thread they'd be at the VERY TOP.

Teams that used to do this that no longer

Bell City-although they will have a chance to win their district this year.

New Madrid County Central-They are the odds on favorites to win their district this year.

Many others are good consistently but have not found a way to get close to or get over that hump on a consistent basis.

Who does it this year?

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 12:58 PM
  • I thought you said only 2 returning players my bad.

jwhitlock if you going back 10 years then PB has 2 state titles and 4 or 5 district championships.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 1:54 PM
  • Charlestown is never down. They are the district faves in my book until someone finally takes them out. They are too well-coached to be considered a non-factor come playoff time.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 3:07 PM
  • You're correct. I forgot about Bluff.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 3:07 PM

Charleston should be the heavy favorites in their district in my opinion.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 3:13 PM

SHS BUM and everyone else Riverbend this year will be NMCC, SCC, Charleston, Kennett, West Memphis, Covington Tn, Liberty Tech, and Cairo, MO (I think there was some confusion on Cairo, I know you had brought this up TFA, but I think it is actually Cairo, MO that will be in it, I'll get clarification on that.)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 3:30 PM
  • I'm so glad it wasn't the other one! Thank u

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 5:24 PM
  • How come Cape was in it for only 1 year?

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 5:27 PM

Late cancellation of an out of town team last year that Cape took their spot to my understanding.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 5:48 PM

Thanks Buck!

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 6:45 PM

Are you sure it's Cario, MISSOURI? Not Illinois? Bc Cario, Mo is north of Columbia.

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 6:47 PM

Got final clarification haha, it is Cairo, Ill. Sorry about that guys, but it's 100% for sure now. And I did watch them a couple time last year, and they just had a couple of obnoxious fans, I think they were parents! But they should be fine. I know we aren't playing the Cairo Egypt Camels haha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 8:09 PM
  • Well let them win and u won't have any problems.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 8:32 PM
  • I don't know what to believe anymore Buck...

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 8:49 PM

I know I know, I'm such a disappointment :'(

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 9:01 PM
  • It wont keep me from going if I can but whats the problem with Cairo?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 10:47 PM

With Scott County Central moving to Class 2, who's left in southeast missouri that will step up in Class 1 ?

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 9:39 AM

Slow clap for all of charleston's accomplishments.....

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 8, 2014, at 11:03 AM
  • Bootheelsports, I would keep an eye on Clarkton in Class 1. Also Risco, Gideon, and Delta C-7 could all be dangerous.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 8, 2014, at 11:19 AM
  • I think Advance is the team to beat in class 1.

-- Posted by jayrod on Wed, Oct 8, 2014, at 4:03 PM
  • Could be jayrod, but who will replace Lane Below's scoring for Advance? Losing those once-in-a-generation players will hurt any program, but especially a small school like Advance.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 8, 2014, at 6:13 PM
  • The jabs are already starting. Looks like this bball season will be very interesting.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Oct 8, 2014, at 10:44 PM

Haha just ribbing you! Yeah there will definitely be some fun games and some parity this year IMO! Maybe I can finally meet you sometime this year Dean at a game!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 12:42 AM
  • Clarkton and Advance are likely candidates to advance to the Class 1 boys final four. Both a very very well-coached.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 1:10 AM
  • Preacher Man Fan

Based on my observations Advance will replace Below's scoring. The system works and remains the same and In Class 1 they should be a force in the playoffs.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 1:12 AM
  • I don't think Woodland has ever won the SCAA varsity boys basketball tournament but history develops if the time is right and you have enough size and speed. We will see what happens. But the conference champ of that event is debatable.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 1:14 AM
  • My preseason SCAA rankings would probably be:

1. Woodland

2. Dexter

3. Bernie

4. Bloomfield

5. Advance

6. Bell City

7. Puxico

8. Richland

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 1:22 AM
  • My preseason SCAA rankings would probably be:

1. Bernie

2. Bloomfield

3. Dexter

4. Woodland

5. Advance

6. Puxico

7. Bell City

8. Richland

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 9:46 AM
  • Stoddard County is going to be tough this year. Anybody 1-7 can beat each other on any given night. If there ever was a year that rankings didn't matter in the SCAA, this would be the year.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 9:54 AM
  • First off I agree with jWhitlock, anyone from 1 to 7 can beat anyone else. That being said here my thoughts

1. Bernie... Always has enough to win it will be deep again.

2. Dexter ... Good group of Juniors who can all play ,with a couple seniors coming back to help.

3. Woodland .. moves up to this spot with the addition of Beel moving in to play.

4.Bloomfield... my Darkhorse if they can get more scoring to help Vandiver.

5.Advance... Slighly below the other 4 but not much, just wonder where the scoring will come from consitently.

6.Puxico... Tucker is back , he will be a handful, and they have some good players to go with him.

7.Bell City.. A question mark . I know they won the JV tourney last year, but other teams had their best sophs playing up on varsity. So we will see now that,they are playing the other teams best players.

8.Richland.. i look for them to be alot better than the last few years.

There will be a very good supply of good big men in this conference this year .

Vandiver

Ellenburg

Beel

Tucker

Renkin

Looks to be very close and entertaining, i think more balanced than ive seen it in a long time.

-- Posted by Hightops on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 12:09 PM
  • Woodland has an elite center and PG. That's normally a pretty good formula for success.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 1:18 PM
  • I could see Woodland playing a lot like the Utah Jazz did when they had Karl Malone and John Stockton about 20 years ago.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 1:24 PM

Dustin, you can't be serious with all of the mess that you are typing on here. Woodland is your best SCAA team? And they have 2 "elite" players that remind you of Stockton and Malone? You've gotta stay off the sauce dude!

-- Posted by Sweet Chuck on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 1:32 PM
  • Very serious Chucky. Woodland likely has two of the top three players in the conference, in my opinion.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 1:44 PM
  • Ok Dustin who are the top 5 players " in your opinion in the conference ?

-- Posted by Hightops on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 1:52 PM
  • I don't want to get that detailed Hightops. Might hurt someone's feelings.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 1:54 PM
  • As long as I say two of the best three everyone else can still think they have the other best one of the three.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 2:12 PM
  • O ok I can understand that. And im not saying I disagree with you , just curious who you think .

-- Posted by Hightops on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 2:12 PM

Bootheel Conference

1. Caruthersville

2. South Pemiscot

3. Hayti

4. Malden

5. Senath

6. Portageville

7. Holcomb

8. Campbell

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 2:38 PM
  • bootheelsports

I think it will be harder to predict what will happen in the Bootheel Conference this season than the SCAA. I think Campbell is much better than No. 8.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 2:46 PM
  • Hightops

Vandiver, Beel, Ellenburg and Reynolds are all really good. Not sure who else I would put in Top 5.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 3:18 PM
  • C'ville will be down some. Not sure how many sophs played up last year but that JV wasn't good. South Pem has some talent coming back but did lose several good players and experience. If Hayti can find a guard, could be a player in the conference. I think Malden will be improved and Senath has the move-in, 6'5 that has a lot of athletic ability. Should be interesting. But I agree, Campbell probably better than 8th.

-- Posted by bball79 on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 4:31 PM
  • I agree with those 4 DUSTIN #5 would be a toss up

-- Posted by Hightops on Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 8:58 PM

Campbell jumps to #7 over Holcomb only thing I can see right now Dustin.

bball79 if Senath has a 6'5 move-in that will help them. Hayti has a new coach, they lost some size that their Seniors had. C'ville had a lot of Sophmores playing up. Malden have the core of their team coming back didn't lose much at all. South Pemiscot got this ranking from me on previous seasons, I think they will be down this year, and probably aren't the #2, but their system is good enough to keep them in the mix due to the fact that the other teams aren't that good.

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Fri, Oct 10, 2014, at 8:32 AM
  • Concerning the Bootheel conference. It looks to be wide open. I'm not sure you can differentiate between Hayti, Malden, Senath, South Pemiscot, Portageville or Caruthersville. All 6 of these teams are capable of beating each other on a given night. I think Holcomb and Campbell are a step behind.

I think Malden could possibly have a chance. They might have the best player in the conference in Dobbins. But that's without knowing just how good Victor Dukes really is. If Dukes is the real deal, combined with Kyle Moore and Autry, when he returns, they might be the best team. However you have to account for the level of athlete Caruthersville can put out on the floor. I don't know about the level of skill they have, but I'm sure they will compete. Hayti, South Pemiscot and Portageville are real similar in their make ups. All have an athletic big guy and all have quick guards that are not necessarily great, but good.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Oct 10, 2014, at 9:38 AM
  • I agree. Most years it's impossible to predict what some of these teams will do. This year is no exception. Campbell appears to be a program on the rise based on what I saw from their junior varsity last season.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Oct 11, 2014, at 3:43 AM
  • I agree with Dustin that Campbell will be much better this season. I believe South Pem will be the team to beat in the Bootheel Conference this year. Senath and Malden could be dark horses this season and Hayti is always dangerous. But it does appear to be a wide-open conference this season.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Oct 11, 2014, at 4:05 PM
  • I live here in Dexter and have been hearing alot of optimism from the fans here. They seem to be excited about our chances. Even hear talk about surprising some people in the SEMO conference, and they seem to think the SCAA is a lock. I agree they will be better, and should win the SCAA if they can beat Bernie. But I dont share the optimism about the SEMO conference. I hear Dexter has a move in from Poplar Bluff, not sure who he is or anything. Just wondering about other peoples thoughts on Dexter ?

-- Posted by Hightops on Tue, Oct 14, 2014, at 12:32 PM

Dexter boys basketball and SEMO conference shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. Them and Kennett will keep struggling in it to say the least

-- Posted by PoliticalCorrect on Tue, Oct 14, 2014, at 12:36 PM
  • I'm from Bluff and i don't know of any move in from here that would help them.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Oct 14, 2014, at 12:42 PM
  • Hightops

Dexter may be the favorite to win the Bloomfield Christmas Tournament. Not sure how good Malden will be at this event.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Oct 14, 2014, at 2:04 PM
  • Dustin It should be fun this year. And wide open

-- Posted by Hightops on Tue, Oct 14, 2014, at 2:13 PM
  • scott miss conf.

1 scc

2 oran

3 scott city

4 ep

5 kelly

6 chaffee

7 delta

oran tourny predictions

1 scc

2/3 advance/oran

4 malden

5 bell city

6 kelly

7 chaffee

8 richland

-- Posted by TO1127 on Tue, Oct 14, 2014, at 10:08 PM
  • Early, meaningless prediction for the finals of the OIT. SCC vs. Malden. Malden returns everybody and has one of the best players in the area and some size. However, they typically don't play well at Oran.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Oct 14, 2014, at 10:51 PM

Dexter the favorite to win the Bloomfield Christmas Tournament? Any teams drop out the BCT ?

-- Posted by PoliticalCorrect on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 3:03 PM
  • The BCT will be wide open this year. No way at this point to predict a favorite.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 3:13 PM
  • You guys are banging on Dexter, and with good reason. It's been a long time since they've been relevant. I guarantee you that's going to change. I won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 3:15 PM
  • I think Dexter will certainly be top 5 seed at BCT, maybe top 3 seed. They have a chance to win it this year IMO. Kennett has lost some good players and South Pem lost quite a bit to graduation. Bernie should be solid this year and will be one of the top seeds. Hayti could make noise. It's pretty wide open.

-- Posted by bball79 on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 4:03 PM
  • jwhitlock knows his basketball.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 4:08 PM
  • Senath may win the bootheel conference this year. They have most of their team back and supposedly a kid from out of state moved in that's supposed to be good

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 4:12 PM

Have anyone seen these "Move-In" players or are these just rumors ? I hear Sikeston and Senath both may benefit from them.

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Thu, Oct 16, 2014, at 8:34 AM

I'm playing with Anthony (transfer to Sikeston) and he's doing pretty good. Maybe a starter or for sure the 6th man

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Thu, Oct 16, 2014, at 8:37 AM

Woodland is going to have some great talent this year and the first year head coach Logan Nutt will have them pumped and ready to go. Of course its woodland and the wont get the credit they deserve. Reynolds can do it all, even against bigger teams from bigger schools.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sat, Oct 18, 2014, at 4:56 PM

If you haven't seen already, it appears Cape Centrals Andre Statam has committed to Jacksonville St. Congrats Andre!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Oct 19, 2014, at 12:03 PM
  • I have seen the move in to Senath. He's a legit 6'5. Athletic. Someone said he would not be eligible until 2nd semester but I do not know that for sure. Senath to make noise now in Bootheel Conf and possibly in their district. Do not think they will beat NMCC though. Also heard their other 6'5 kid, Autry, would be back from ACL tear after Xmas.

-- Posted by bball79 on Sun, Oct 19, 2014, at 4:03 PM
  • Has anyone heard how good Twin Rivers will be this year?

-- Posted by ready on Thu, Oct 23, 2014, at 8:03 PM
  • All in All I think this is going to be a very fun year. I think parody has hit high school basketball around here. I think some of the past powerhouse teams have came back to the pack a little. And some of the smaller schools that have been playing their Sophomores on varsity, will be better this year because of it.

I know around my parts The SCAA i can see 6 teams capable of winning the conference, heck maybe 7. I agree with jwhitlock, about Dexter. I watch most of their games, they are on their way, much improved this year, next year they should be a tough out. They do have a ligimate chance at the BCT, as do about 8 schools.

I also agree with cker23, Woodland is loaded with talent. it could be them , Dexter and Bernie battling it out in the conference.

About Twin Rivers, i saw them in the Rib City, ( but we all know summer ball ) but I think they will be pretty good.

Looking at the teams in the Oran Tournamnet, and the teams in the Holcomb Tournament , we will know pretty early who is who .

Cant wait.

-- Posted by Hightops on Fri, Oct 24, 2014, at 6:05 AM
  • Twin Rivers is going to be better than they have been in years. Reading these post makes me chuckle, because nobody is even talking about them. Bloomfield christmas tournamnet will set the tone of a big year for TR!

-- Posted by ready on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 8:34 PM
  • There's a reason nobody's talking about them.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 6:48 AM
  • As much as I love the Kennett Indians, I would not put them in any talk of being one of the best teams in the area this year. Losing Mitchell to graduation, Nelson to an ACL injury and other unforeseen departures of varsity player(s) for various reasons leaves Kennett with a squad with little experience at the varsity level. Hoping they make it over .500.

-- Posted by DWinKenMO on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 7:52 AM
  • Jackson or Cape will be the best team in SEMO.

-- Posted by youarebad on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 7:52 PM
  • DW, I don't want to know why but could you tell us who the departing varsity players are!

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 7:54 PM
  • Ep all returning roster except for tipler

-- Posted by EagleNation on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 11:19 PM

Best Teams Entering 2014-2015 Season was this topic discussion .... Why have Campbell and Twin Rivers been mentioned ? The Tri-County, Bootheel Conference and SCAA teams are far behind the SEMO Conference teams. The best teams going in to this year are: Jackson, Notre Dame, New Madrid, Cape Central , Poplar Bluff, and Charleston.

-- Posted by PoliticalCorrect on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 9:42 AM
  • I think the best team around semo hands down will be Scott County Central. With them bringing a little size, them being athletic, and their speed I think they will shock alot of people. They also have a nice starting line-up in my opinion, but who knows what this years SCC basketball team will bring.

Jeffrey Porter-G 5'11

Trevion Moore-G 5'10

Matthew Blissett- 6'2

Javontae Daniel- 6'4

Drake Kesler- 6'0

and they also add some outstanding Jv players coming up. This season should be a good one.

-- Posted by GloUp34 on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 10:22 AM
  • OFC Thoughts or predictions

Doniphan

Twin Rivers

Neelyville

East Carter

Greenville

Naylor

Clearwater

-- Posted by PedroCerrano on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 10:41 AM

PedroCerrano,I don't think Clearwater will be as good as the last few but last is way to far down IMO!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 11:06 AM
  • Nah, wasn't rating them. Just listing the schools.

If I was to rank and this is totally in the dark on a few of these schools it would go like this

Clearwater

Doniphan

Twin Rivers

Greenville

Neelyville

East Carter

Naylor

-- Posted by PedroCerrano on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 11:42 AM
  • Well I don't think SCC will "shock people." I think most everybody thinks they will be state contenders as they always are. I fully expect them to be right in the mix and they will be as talented or more than most Class 2 teams in the area. Javonta Daniel I predict will have a very, very good season now that he will be a full time starter. Although he's more like 6'2" unless he's grown two inches since I saw him in June. I was also impressed with Blissett and Kesler (good shooter) this summer.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 11:49 AM
  • Get ready to be SHOCKED people,SCC is coming to 2A,and should have another nice season ahead of them...For all you BIG schools out there ,don't sleep on SCC...

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Sat, Nov 1, 2014, at 8:48 AM
  • Don't sleep on SCC? That's got to be the funniest thing I've ever heard. You'd have to be a complete fool to not respect them. I'd say every basketball fan over the age of 12 in SEMO knows this.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sat, Nov 1, 2014, at 9:45 AM
  • Agreed jwhitlock. As a Jackson guy I know you have to respect them regardless of school size. Replacing Banks will be a challenge but I'm sure they'll be ready.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Nov 1, 2014, at 11:53 AM
  • i hope scc's good this year. i heard there's not much hope off the hardwood.

-- Posted by TO1127 on Sun, Nov 2, 2014, at 7:59 AM
  • PoliticalCorrect or coachporterjp3 or whatever your name is now, please stop with your nonsense. Sometimes threads get jacked and the subject changed. It's ok. Get over it. Please go back to "coaching" your AAU team to a .500 record, but dogging coaches on here for not being better coaches.

Also, isn't it interesting that Coach Heeb shows up at small schools who just happen to get transfers and happen to have some good players? It's just so ironic (insert eye roll)!

-- Posted by T-Roll on Sun, Nov 2, 2014, at 9:15 AM

The season starts tomorrow for most teams in the area. The questions about the top teams will be answered in a few weeks, with season opening tournaments.

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Sun, Nov 2, 2014, at 1:45 PM
  • Glo, that is a bold prediction. When was the last time you watched a high school basketball game?

-- Posted by youarebad on Sun, Nov 2, 2014, at 10:29 PM
  • Does anyone know when the previews for teams come out?

-- Posted by sportswiz on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 3:58 PM
  • Caruthersville will surprise a lot of teams this year. They have a few players that did not play last year. One of the players is about 6'3 he's going to be a problem late once he understands the game. They have Lamont jr. Coach Bell's son that is now about 6' he played ball all year including AAU with the Semo bulls. He has put on some size quicker shot has got a lot better they are expecting big things from him as well as another good year from alston, and Monroe. So don't count those tigers out they are fast athletic. and hungry!!!!

-- Posted by fastbreak on Sat, Nov 15, 2014, at 11:58 AM
  • Poplar Bluff will surprise people this year. If anyone saw them this summer they would know. Stocks has improved considerably with his lowest scoring game out of about 6 or 7 with 24 against sikeston in a doube ot loss at SEMO shootout. Sophomore willie lucas also looked impressive along with senior jo eyler. They will be better even without stacy gibson in the lineup this year. GO MULES!

-- Posted by mk3 on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 7:19 PM
  • Things are looking up for all teams in this area. I'm glad I like watching some good basketball.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 7:24 PM
  • I know about Eyler and Stocks and really like them. Is Lucas the big kid? If so How tall is he now?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 7:24 PM
  • Yes, Lucas is legit 6'5 and still growing. He'll help out a ton

-- Posted by mk3 on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 7:36 PM
  • Mk3, I am confused as to why you think PB will be better without Stacy Gipson in the line-up?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 8:11 PM
  • There was tension between senior and junior classes last year on and off the court. I watched them play this summer, and they just look like a much better unit collectively. @PMF

-- Posted by mk3 on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 8:22 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: