Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: SCC BRAVES!

Posted by airmaxx on Thu, Mar 13, 2014, at 5:12 PM:

Congratulations!! SCC will play Saturday @ 12:50 for a Missouri state record 17th State Championship.

Replies (58)

• Good job Braves, 1 more win and you can bring #17 home to SCC !!! "LET'S GO BRAVES" !!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Mar 14, 2014, at 10:58 AM
  • Congratulations Braves and coaches on your win yesterday , let's get one more win tomorrow.

-- Posted by Duxzone on Fri, Mar 14, 2014, at 12:53 PM
  • S.C.C. 1A State Champs #17 and counting , Good job guys !!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 3:24 PM
  • Juwan Owens with 27 points

-- Posted by airmaxx on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 3:26 PM
  • Juwan Owens , Finals "MVP" WOW!!!!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 3:29 PM
  • Congrats to scc and coach staples! Maybe he can take a day off now. Proly not lol,

-- Posted by Hatershate on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 4:49 PM
  • Congrats SCC

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 5:07 PM
  • This game says alot about "Leopold", just how good they are....That was a very very close game..Congrats to S.C.C. and also Leopold on a great season !!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 5:22 PM
  • I said before the final four Leopold was the second best team in the state.

-- Posted by jayrod on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 7:29 PM
  • Congrats to SCC. Special nod to LaRandis Banks for his remarkable story and finishing his high school career on a great note.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 7:39 PM
  • Congratulations Braves and coach Staples on a great season !! You guys are awesome !!

-- Posted by Duxzone on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 7:48 PM
  • To the Scott Central cheerleaders you girls sounded awesome this year .Great job!!!

-- Posted by Duxzone on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 7:51 PM
  • Well, time now for the SCC experts to begin the move toward firing the coach!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 7:53 PM
  • Tough to see a team like Meadville get to play in the state title game. Leopold and Clarkton would have smashed them also. Scc didn't even play very well today and still killed them.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 8:37 PM

Semo has an obsession with talking about coaches getting fired

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 8:40 PM
  • Way to keep it classy champ kind.

Maybe Meadville didn't play well today either?

Meadville beat everybody they put in front of them except SCC in the title game. Is that their fault?

Personally, I am proud of the way Stanberry, Mack's Creek, and Meadville performed at state with their HOMEGROWN TALENT !!!

See, I can be a jerk also

-- Posted by NOMOball on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 9:06 PM
  • Final Class 1 (not Class 1A because there is no such class) poll should have Leopold ranked second and Oak Ridge third or fourth.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 9:12 PM

Is NOMO short for No More?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 9:12 PM
  • I think I know why Meadville didn't play very well lol. Homegrown talent.....well I think you're onto something. SCC has never had kids on their team with the last names Porter, Blissett, Owens, and Banks. I have no clue where those kids came from.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 9:18 PM
  • I have followed semoball for some time, and thought you were classy Larry doby, guess I was wrong.

As to you, champ kind, I never did think that.

Guess their just must be something in the water, not that uncommon for 1 team to win 17 state championships, is there?

-- Posted by NOMOball on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 9:26 PM

Guess so. Now we know you are a Jerk and Wrong.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 9:38 PM

Webb City has won 12 state championships in football since 1989. Do you have problem with that?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 9:43 PM
  • Let me tell ya something, Champ Kind is classy. He's so classy, people call him Classy Chassy.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 9:44 PM
  • Guess your right Larry. :-)

Enjoy the win. We all enjoyed being there

-- Posted by NOMOball on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 9:45 PM

Your Classy Chassy? I've heard of you!

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 9:46 PM
  • NOMO SCC has made 19 final four appearances, Charleston is less than 20 miles away and have made 20 final fours with 11 championships. So i guess winning is common around here. If Meadville played a little tougher schedule that might have got them ready for SCC.

-- Posted by igobybob on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 9:51 PM
  • Hideo Nomo doesn't know bout a lil Classy Chassy Larry. Just like he/she is ignorant of SCC basketball.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 9:51 PM

Thanks for playing NOMO, don't forget the parting gifts on your way out.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 9:57 PM
  • It's all good Larry,

Looks like I struck a sore spot with all the hate.

You guys enjoy your boughten championship.

Us guys up north will continue to try it the right way

-- Posted by NOMOball on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 10:34 PM
  • We'll keep driving these Farmers, Biles, Timmons, Porters, and Blissetts down from St. Louis, Chicago, Memphis, wherever we keep getting them.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 10:44 PM
  • NOMOball, what you have to understand about SCC is that all those kids do, all year around, is play hoops. SCC isn't competitive in any other sports other than basketball. When you add in legendary coaches like Ronnie Cookson, Danny Farmer, and Fred Johnson, what you get is a basketball factory. As far as their roster, the other posters are right, every year SCC's roster is made up of kids named Porter, Blissett, Owens, Banks, Johnson, and Masters, just like this year.

But a bit of good news for your NOMO teams is that SCC is moving up to Class 2 for at least the next couple of years. Believe me, there are alot of teams down here like Risco, Leopold, Clarkton, Oak Ridge, Eminence, and South Iron, that are just as happy about that as you are!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 10:47 PM
  • That's right Champ, I forgot to mention all the Timmons that go to SCC.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 10:49 PM
  • Don't get me wrong, those boys are players.

Best team in class 1 no doubt.

Just don't appreciate people running down high school kids like they don't belong in Columbia .

All four teams earned their way down there. SCC was the best team there, brag on them, don't rag on the others

-- Posted by NOMOball on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 10:59 PM
  • Meadville was very worthy of being in the final four. I don't agree that Leopold and Clarkton would beat them. It's all matchups. I do think Stanberry was the second best team I saw this weekend. But, even though Leopold only lost by 2 to SCC, that doesn't mean they would run roughshod over Meadville and Stanberry. That's why district play is so tough. It's the teams that know you the best and know what it takes to beat you.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 11:30 PM
  • Leopolds size could've matched up with Stanberrys easily.

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sat, Mar 15, 2014, at 11:39 PM
  • NoMo chimes in on a website and a forum dedicated to south east Mo and is surprised that posters praise the most prolific program in the history of the area and he state. Then has the nerve to say SCC had "boughten" their titles. I suggest he or she look back thru the Show-Me Showdow session book or look up the Scott Co Central Final 4 rosters since 1976. And after he or she realize many of the last names have repeatedly repeated, then maybe he or she will feel silly for his or her ill-informed negative comments. Class 1 is lucky that a few Porters and Hatchetts played in Sikeston over the last 8 yrs. Otherwise it could easily be 8 TITLES IN A ROW. And keep in mid NoMo, Jeffrey has 2 yrs left. He may be a 6'7 point guard by then

-- Posted by hoopaholiczanon on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 3:26 AM
  • Still laughing that someone thinks people get brought in to play ball at SCC. Those names have been around for so long it's not funny. Sometimes their parents move out of that area and then move back or sometimes we get lucky in Sikeston and they stay in our town. Porters. Hatchett,Blissetts. Nomo we are like a 5 minute drive from them. If you know it's not even a town it's just a lot of countryside that goes there except for maybe Vanduser or Morley. But to make it to the final four and to even come in 2nd is a great accomplishment that everyone hopes for so no one needs to put down another team that made it.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 6:13 AM
  • Semo hoops,

I agree, SCC was the best team, I would also agree Stanberry was next best. I have no problem with that.

I expected to see you guys on semo bragging about SCC, no problem, where I have a problem is running down other teams like they are unworthy to be there.

We have very structured conferences in the north part of the state, and it is hard to play up. No bigger better team wants to play you, they have nothing to gain.

Semo hoops, TFA, PMF I respect your opinions, and apologize for letting my emotions get the better of me. I should have held myself to a higher standard than some posters on here.

-- Posted by NOMOball on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 9:51 AM
  • In this area all classes play up or down depends on what school u go. They have a Christmas tournament that has all classes in it. Around here your going to get a game most of the time from anyone.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 10:40 AM
  • SCC, Leopold, Oak Ridge, and Clarkton. There's your final four. Not those other three turds I just watched this weekend.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 11:20 AM
  • But it wasn't was it?? Lol!

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 11:33 AM
  • NOMOball, those posters are not even from SCC, they are from some of the local schools in this area.We all cheer each other on this time of year. Sorry you got offended,but to give a little info. on SCC ,they lost 2 games to Charleston,who made it to the quarterfinals in class 3,also lost 1 to class 3 New Madrid Co. Central, and 1 loss to Jackson, class 5 quarterfinalist. SCC also lost their first game of the season to Covington,Tenn. ..One thing for sure ,they were battle tested !!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 11:38 AM
  • Sorry for the disrespectful comments,were not all like THAT !! ... GOOD LUCK next year....

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 11:42 AM
  • Yep we do support the teams from around here that make it but we also know not to get rude about other teams that made it there from other parts of the state. Every team has to fight its way to the final four from their area. That's why it's called state champions. All areas play different types of ball also ours is fast paced some teams aren't.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 11:50 AM
  • DA#1oldcat,

I was disrespectful also and I apologize.

You, semo hoops, TFA and PMF are classy with win. Best of luck with your teams next year.

-- Posted by NOMOball on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 12:13 PM
  • I just wanted to say something about Stanberry. I realize this is a website dedicated to just SEMO teams and that, unless you watched them play in the Final Four last year, you probably never saw them play before this weekend.

About 2:20 into the semifinal game against SCC, Stanberry's point guard sprained his MCL in a loose ball scramble at half court. If I could show you the picture of it, I would, but let's just say he's lucky nothing was torn. Isaac is Stanberry's best ball handler and the vocal leader on the court. Pressure defense has bothered Stanberry very little this year bc of Isaac (he's also the QB on the football team) and he keeps the team calm. He was immediately subbed out for several minutes until he could stand to put pressure on it. I worried that when that happened, with the style SCC plays, Stanberry was doomed for the 30 point loss Meadville suffered yesterday. Isaac was at half-speed and he was also charged with the task of guarding Jeffery Porter, which he still did for a lot of the game anyway. His knee eventually swelled up too much and he couldn't be effective anymore and didn't play the last few minutes of the game.

I am NOT saying that Stanberry would be state champions right now if that injury had not occurred, so please don't think I'm saying that. I think it's pretty obvious SCC was always going to win. However, I can't comprehend how you can watch Stanberry give SCC a 6 point game with an injured point guard and call them a "turd" and act like they didn't deserve to be down there.

Like I said, I know people on here are not familiar with Stanberry at all. So, I know that nobody knows that last year they lost a 3-year senior starter to an ACL injury during football season and a senior bench contributor to a torn labrum. They were still able to make it to the state championship game and had a shot to win it at the end. I'm also sure that nobody knows that a couple weeks before school started this year, their leading scorer from last season, who would have been a junior this year, transferred to North Kansas City.

I know every team deals with injuries, kids moving, etc. But this team has overcome all of that and still made it to two Final Fours and 2 State Football Championships over the last two years.

I only discovered this site a few weeks ago and I found similar posts from last year's Final Four with people talking about how Stanberry didn't deserve to be in the title game. Incidentally, NOMOball was one of them.

-- Posted by nwbearcat43 on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 1:03 PM
  • Nwbearcat43, In SCC's defense our point guard Jeffery Porter has been playing with a fractured foot for several (5-6)weeks now.

-- Posted by airmaxx on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 1:14 PM
  • airmaxx Yeah, like I said, SCC is obviously a great team and was always going to win. Porter played an outstanding semifinal against Stanberry and at times it seemed like he was never going to miss.

-- Posted by nwbearcat43 on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 1:30 PM
  • Nwbearcat you never know the age of people on here so just think if they are calling another team a turd they could be a kid at least that's the way I think it when someone says rude stuff.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 1:51 PM
  • Pretty spectacular. Congratulations on the 17th!

-- Posted by youarebad on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 3:00 PM
  • Congrats scc you was the best team in 1a this year period , like I say polls don't mean crap, the hardware speaks for it self

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 3:15 PM

Congrats on another title! They are going to be in class 2 next year aren't they? What district will they be put in?

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 3:40 PM
  • Nwbearcat43,

I had to go back and look at my post from last year to see what I had said.

I said it was a fluke Stanberry was in championship game because of them going 100% from 3 land. I think that is still true. However, I never stated they didn't deserve to be at como, because they definitely did. They are even better this year in my opinion.

-- Posted by NOMOball on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 4:09 PM
  • I think Stanberry will definently be back at the final four next year, they have a great team !!

-- Posted by airmaxx on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 4:17 PM
  • NOMOball,

I said: "I found similar posts from last year's Final Four with people talking about how Stanberry didn't deserve to be in the title game. Incidentally, NOMOball was one of them."

I didn't say you said Stanberry didn't deserve to be in Columbia. Don't act like I'm putting words in your mouth. You were in agreement with other posters that said Stanberry shouldn't be in the title game. You also predicted that Eminence would win "by a lot," which obviously worked out really well for you.

As for Stanberry going 7-7 against Meadville last year. Sure, they set a state record for 2-game 3 pt. shooting % at the Final Four. Want to call it a fluke? Their 3 pt. % at the Final Four this year is going to be in the record book next year, tied for 4th with 53.3%. Is that a fluke too? Is a team not allowed to shoot well in big games? Maybe Stanberry plays well in big games? Maybe Meadville should have played better defense?

Stanberry showed they deserved to be in that title game by being in it until the last second. They only lost by 2. Meanwhile, Meadville got blown out by Drexel by 25 the day before. Or was that a fluke too?

-- Posted by nwbearcat43 on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 5:33 PM

{sigh} Northerners having a catfight on semoball.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 5:55 PM
  • I think Leopold would have smoked both of y'all.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 5:58 PM
  • Not on here to argue with you nwbearcat43.

Your team shot 100% from threes that game when it had averaged in the 30s all season, that's a fluke. Not running them down , stating a fact.

I have nothing but respect for the boys and the program, they do well. By the way, Jenson and Hailey are studs.

-- Posted by NOMOball on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 6:20 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: