Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Height in the class of '16 and '17

Posted by leftyjay on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 12:57 PM:

I was reading the forums on here talking about the top players in 2016 and 2017 and noticed that none of the players mentioned really have legitimate D1 size. I don't get out as much as I used to to see games so maybe I'm missing some kids but it just seemed to me like these two classes are really lacking in size. In fact the biggest kid I know of in 2017 is the kid from advance and he's only about 6'3. Are there any kids that I'm unaware of that have this kind of size? (6'6 and up)

Replies (48)

• There's a freshmen from Bernie who is 6'5 and a sophomore from Cape like 6'8

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 1:07 PM

Beal from Leopold sophmore 6'6

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 1:18 PM

sharp from Ellington 6'5 freshman and Morrisey from ellington 6'3 and growing freshman!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 1:20 PM

There is a 6'5 freshman at Poplar bluff Lucas lots of talent as well.

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 1:23 PM
  • From what I've heard Morrisey is quite the player. I've seen Lucas and he has potential to be good. Wasn't aware of Sharp and I haven't seen Beal but after a little research he seems very talented. What are the names of the Bernie and Cape kids?

-- Posted by leftyjay on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 1:47 PM
  • Trevor ison, malden 6 '5 sophomore plays full time varsity and is a good hard worker

-- Posted by Ramfanman on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 1:51 PM
  • Bernie last name is Wells and Cape is Garrett Jackson

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 1:53 PM
  • I heard wells plays on the freshman team. What's the scoop on him and Jackson? Are they both just raw or what?

-- Posted by leftyjay on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 2:03 PM
  • Don't know much about either but I do know Jackson scored 22 on our JV (Sikeston)

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 2:07 PM
  • That's respectable. 6'5 seems to be as big as it gets for these freshman, but they still have a long time to grow. I thought there might be a kid from a smaller town that was under the radar that was around the 6'8 or up range

-- Posted by leftyjay on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 2:34 PM
  • Check Jackson they probably have a 6'2 6th grader still growing. Lol!! That seems where the water is fertilized with growth hormones.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 2:43 PM
  • We do actually have a couple 6-4 eighth graders.

And yes the water up here is delicious! Lol!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 5:32 PM
  • I figured you would.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 5:39 PM
  • Hey Indian Pride, I heard there might be a space jam 2, have they started filming there yet??? Lol!

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 6:06 PM
  • I think its amuzing some believe speed trumps height, yet people are so amazed by height. These boys are getting their growth spurts at different times, so we never know!

-- Posted by deal on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 6:23 PM
  • Tfa. LOL!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 6:44 PM
  • Size vs speed now who won between Jackson and Charleston

-- Posted by yaeger on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 8:15 PM
  • Yeah. Its crazy. Jackson loses to Charleston then Charleston loses to Cape and Bluff who Jackson beat twice each. Earning Jackson the SEMO conference title outright.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 8:22 PM
  • Nd freshman 6-3 ct sophomore 6-8

-- Posted by slumdogsports on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 8:26 PM
  • Advance Freshman Dawson Mayo - 6'3 and Brayden Nixon 6'5 I believe. Not sure on how good Nixon is, but the Mayo kid has proven himself on the varsity team. Pretty good athlete.

-- Posted by jkiipolm on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 8:54 PM
  • The user "Straight off the Farm" said this in a forum I found on here about the kid from Bernie.

"Another player I noticed at the SCAA this past week played JV for Bernie. Looked at the program and this young man is 6-6 and is only in 9th grade. Very soft hands around the basket, appears very raw, but there is a lot to work with. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bernie mold this young man into another of their long list of players."

Does anyone else know about this kid? He seems like an intriguing post prospect to keep an eye on in the coming years considering he's a 6'6 freshman with room to grow, but I don't know anything about him...

-- Posted by leftyjay on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 9:56 PM
  • I've actually spoke with several people about Riley Wells from Bernie since then and saw him play a couple more times. Very nice young man and comes from a good Christian family. Mr Wells is still very raw. However, the young man does have decent quordination, will get better with work and as he learns the game. Looking forward to watching him play and grow as a player tthe next couple years.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Sun, Feb 23, 2014, at 11:16 PM
  • The Beal kid had 3 good dunks against Delta Saturday. I know it's not saying alot aginst Delta, but the kid has some talent.

-- Posted by swamie on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 6:13 AM
  • The Bernie kid should try to get involved with a summer team. I think the extra practice would help him alot. Is he a part of one of these teams?

-- Posted by leftyjay on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 7:16 AM
  • Hey TFA, do you have relatives named Rochelle, Yumeika, Benny, and Bridget. If so, I think I may know you. Wonderful family. I think I saw you at a Sikeston game I was reffing last week.

-- Posted by semo ref on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 8:32 AM
  • No, none of my relatives have those names.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 9:46 AM
  • I think you might be talking about Pattersons???? I know a Brigette and a Rochelle by that last name.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 9:48 AM
  • I played basketball with Rochelle in high school but have no clue if that's who you're talking about

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 9:51 AM
  • Yes it was the Patterson family I was referring to. Good family. Thanks for responding.

-- Posted by semo ref on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 10:00 AM
  • Kennett's Jad Kenny, a freshman, is 6'3". He is estimated to reach 6'5" to 6'7"

-- Posted by DWinKenMO on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 1:28 PM

NMCC has a couple of 6'3 sophs, still growing. The freshman class is very good, fast and quick, but the better playes are shorter. But their like 13 and 14 so they have plently of time to hit growth spurts.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 1:30 PM
  • Straight off the Farm, does the Wells kid play Varsity? I'd love to see him play but it's postseason time.

-- Posted by leftyjay on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 7:59 PM
  • When Bernie played us he didn't play much JV and didn't suit up for varsity so I'm thinking no

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 9:04 PM
  • OK, I assume he is very raw. Or was he in limited action for a different reason besides lack of talent?

-- Posted by leftyjay on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 9:55 PM
  • Mr Wells does not play varsity. Still very raw and learning the game. From watching Bernie they generally do not play sophomores or freshmen on varsity. As an example they have 2 sophomores that play Jr Varsity, that could probably be playing varsity for them but don't.

Another 9th grader that is definitely going to be good is Chris Garmon 6-3. He played tonight for Portageville against Holcomb and looks like the real deal.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 11:14 PM
  • 6'6" Austin Autry from Senath-Hornersville in the class of

-- Posted by gianthook on Tue, Feb 25, 2014, at 7:42 AM
  • I'm unaware of the Autry kid but he has good size for only a sophomore. Have any of you seen any big men that are out of state at any tournaments that your school has been a part of in Kentucky, Illinois, or even in not-southeast Missouri?

-- Posted by leftyjay on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 12:06 PM
  • Jaden Lane from Sikeston is a 6'2 freshmen,

-- Posted by Bulldogfan1234 on Thu, Mar 20, 2014, at 1:15 PM

Charleston had a 6'4" frosh, McCauley, who played varsity the first semester, and contributed, but became ineligible at semester break. Good pedigree; if he can get his head on straight and stay eligible, could contribute in the future. Wide body, soft hands...you get better by competing so becoming ineligible at semester break probably put the skids on his development as a player.

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Mar 20, 2014, at 3:16 PM
  • Leftjay you ask if anyone has this kind of size? 6'6" and up but you reference a 6'3" boy from advance? You say you don't get out much so I guess you are from advance? Probably this boys parents. I'm not fishing!

-- Posted by Hatershate on Thu, Mar 20, 2014, at 5:55 PM
  • Leftjay you ask if anyone has this kind of size? 6'6" and up but you reference a 6'3" boy from advance? You say you don't get out much so I guess you are from advance? Probably this boys parents. I'm not fishing!

-- Posted by Hatershate on Thu, Mar 20, 2014, at 5:56 PM
  • Alright hatershate maybe if you would read what it said I said I haven't seen anysize and the biggest I've heard of is the advance kid. I don't live anywhere near advance and can assure you I have no association with the kid. Take your drama somewhere else.

-- Posted by leftyjay on Sat, Mar 22, 2014, at 9:46 PM

Leftyjay and gianthook Austin Autry is out until Christmas with a torn ACL. But he is a junior.

-- Posted by Anon32 on Fri, Oct 10, 2014, at 5:39 PM

Leftyjay and gianthook Austin Autry is out until Christmas with a torn ACL. But he is a junior.

-- Posted by Anon32 on Fri, Oct 10, 2014, at 7:40 PM

Jackson Freshman class has about 5 players that range from 6'3 to 6'7!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Fri, Oct 10, 2014, at 10:50 PM
  • Who in Jackson freshman class is 6-7?

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Fri, Oct 10, 2014, at 10:56 PM
  • A 6'7 freshman? Wow. Will he see any varsity minutes this year?

-- Posted by leftyjay on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 11:36 PM

Cameron Hester checks in at 6'6 1/2 to 6'7 and he played with varsity some this summer. Very solid player!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Thu, Oct 16, 2014, at 5:58 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: