Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Top players from Mississippi county....

Posted by Champ Kind on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 11:50 PM:

Is your name Michael Dean, Mr. Dean?

Replies (29)

• Man that list is tough. The pick up games at Lincoln park when I grew was furious. I remember watching my uncle Ricky Frazier and Jewell Crawford going at it. Dunk after Dunk. Then Cedric C.C. Rodgers and my cousin Lamont Frazier battles. I got chance to play at against them and they put me in the fire at 14. They dared me to shoot, well told me not to.lol. So I worked my butt off sneaking out the house across the street at night working on my jumper. Probably the reason I can barely see now.lol. But I had to prove to them that I could make it. When I got the nod it was on. Lincoln Park one of the best places in the country for a pick up game during the 80's and 90's. I miss Charleston...BlueJays for life.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 1:21 AM

I can dig it. It was also entertaining when guys from out of town came through (Cairo, etc.) and sparked the fires! I miss those weekends; the women who came through to be seen were fantastic also!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 1:41 AM
  • You're correct, Tiger was 2nd team all-state in 1991 in Class 4A, but it was the largest classification at that time. Sikeston was always in the biggest class until about the late 90s in football and then the early 2000s in basketball and baseball. Sikeston made it to the quarterfinals. Beat Eureka on a buzzer beater by Carlos Ivy in the sectional and then lost to Parkway West in the quarterfinals. But yes, Tiger was a good one. An even better running back. One of the best in school history.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 7:55 AM
  • Man that list brings back memories. I was lucky enough to have played with 3 of these players, Ricky Frazier, Michael Jefferson and James(jab) Davis. Also was able to watch many of them play. There were some players that I saw that were also very talented, Alvin Pierce, Henry Hall, Gene Rodgers, Will Davis to name a few. In my opinion Ricky Frazier was the most talented and Alvin Pierce was probably the quickest guard I saw although there have been many good ones. Proud to have been a Blue Jay

-- Posted by runner50 on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 9:47 AM

Let's go back a little further.....Larry Briggs & Reuben Brown...all-staters who formed the nucleus of Charleston's first state qualifier in 67-68....Gary Betts was an outstanding guard on that team, as well

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 9:50 PM

runner50....why aren't we on that list? My feelings are hurt!! ;-)

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 9:51 PM
  • birdfan, I consider myself part of a team and lucky enough to play and know a lot of these guys. very proud to have been a blue jay and contributed to the tradition. maybe we should work on a reunion of some type would be fun to sit around and talk about the old times

-- Posted by runner50 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 8:36 AM
  • Dean,SOC,50 and Birdfan, I think its much overdue. With all the state titles and tradition that has gone through that town, its needed. Its good for the young guys to know who came before them and why the expectations are so high for them. Let me know what I can do to help make this happen. I think it would be good to bring back the different generations of basketball. Tradition is everything. Charleston Basketball reunion. Lets do it.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 8:51 AM
  • I kept waiting for someone to finally mention Larry Briggs!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:09 AM
  • That would be great if we could get Coach Macs name on the court. It should be in the makings if not being talked about. What a way to honor him and have all of his former players come home for that.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:38 AM

I was teasing, guys....I certainly do not belong on that list of great players. I was just an average player who was on the floor to keep everyone in control, a coach on the floor, so to speak. My greatest accomplishment, and probably my only basketball heroic occurrence, was scoring 22 points against Hayti and hitting a buzzer beater from the perimeter to win the game for us. Very seldom did I ever break into double digits in the scoring column. Not to mention, our team was not very good....a record of something like 7-17 after going 12-12 the year prior.....the real tradition started the next year when the Jays won their first title.

Glad to be a part of BlueJay basketball history, but no great contributions on my part....lol

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:56 AM
  • I hit a free throw against Marquand my senior year.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 12:17 PM
  • Jeremy Biles is the best Point guard I have ever seen play in High School... Charleston seems to Produce talent year after year!! his brothers Vinny and Marcus were good as well.. Are there any Biles boys coming up that are going to be fun to watch?? how about Frazier's?

-- Posted by Semo North on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 1:34 PM
  • Does Charleston have any elite talents coming up from 7th and 8th grades? Freshman??

-- Posted by Semo North on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 2:11 PM

Jeramy Biles' son, Jequales, plays on the jayvee, right now; as for looks, he looks just like Jeramy. As for talent, he's behind where his Daddy was as a sophomore but he has shown flashes of brilliance. A good ballhandler, pretty good shooter, very good defender, he's just awfully small, right now. A growth spurt could place him right up there with other great CHS point guards.

As for Fraziers, one of them is the star of the girls' team, right now. I don't know about any others, but I'm sure there will be more. Rashad Oliver, Ricky's son, has some younger children; I heard that one of them will be a very good football player.

Sorry I can't be of more help....perhaps CHS2MRH can shed some light on his family.

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 5:15 PM
  • I with birdfan I by no means belong on that list, like I said I was fortunate to be the point guard on the 1st state championship team and to play with the 3 guys I mentioned. I think it would be great to get as many as possible together for a nice reunion and get something started to name that court after Coach Mac and maybe add Coach Haskins name somewhere since he was the first coach to win that state championship. Birdfan we need to talk and get Mr Smith involved I bet we can pull this reunion thing off sometime this summer.

-- Posted by runner50 on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 7:29 AM
  • I should have added on my last post to get with The Dean & CHS2MRH and let's make this happen

-- Posted by runner50 on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 8:57 AM
  • Let me know what we need to get this rolling 50,Dean,Birdfan.

As far as the Frazier's Rashad has young ones coming up. My daughters are Sierra who is having a pretty good junior season on the girls side and Anna is in 8th grade will be playing as well. Tim has two coming up as well that will be pretty good. Lamonts little brother Kotase who was about 6'5 240 has a soon coming up name Katerrion "BoBo" Owens. Remember that name. He is in third grade, but looks like a 5th grader. He will have the Frazier/Owens mix.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 9:27 AM
  • Who would be your top 10 white boys from down there?

-- Posted by Semo North on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 3:38 PM
  • HERE WOULD BE MY TOP 15 THAT I REMEMBER SEEING PLAY AT CHARLESTON!! I WISH I COULD HAVE SEEN RICKY FRAZIER AND SOME OF THE OTHER GUYS BECAUSE I HEARD THEY WERE GREAT PLAYERS.. I HAVE BEEN TOLD RICKY FRAZIER WAS THE BEST PLAYER EVER AT CHARLESTON

1. JERAMY BILES

2. LAMONT FRAZIER

3. COREY FRAZIER

4. RASHAD OLIVER

5. JAMARCUS WILLIAMS

6. CARLOS McCAULEY

7. LARICO COLEMAN

8. LEONARD CORBITT

9. VINNY BILES

10. SHAWN SHERRELL

11. DELFINKO BOGAN

12. GREG TUCKER

13.MARCUS BILES

14. ASHTON FARMER

15. JUSTIN CLARK

ALL OF THESE PLAYERS WERE GREAT TO WATCH!! I SEEN ALL OF THEM PLAY IN THE CHRISTMAS TOURNAMENTS.. I THINK ALL OF THEM COULD HAVE PLAYED AND DONE WELL IN COLLEGE AND I BET SEMO DIDN'T EVEN TRY TO REACH OUT TO THEM!I THINK SOME OF THESE GUYS DID PLAY IN COLLEGE. I KNOW LAMONT PLAYED FOR MIZZOU WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN THE BIGGEST COLLEGE OF ALL FOR THESE GUYS.. I AM A FAN OF HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL IN GENERAL AND CHARLESTON GENERALLY HAS SOME VERY GOOD TALENT! I PERSONALLY THOUGHT JERAMY BILES COULD MAKE IT TO THE NBA IF HE WERE A TAD BIT BIGGER

-- Posted by Semo North on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 4:29 PM

Ricky Frazier was an All-American at Mizzou; Big 8 Player of the Year; Conference Newcomer of the Year after he transferred from SLU to Mizzou.

Mizzou All-Century Team.

He was a very special talent; when challenged, he rose to another level as evidenced in Mizzou games against Georgetown (Patrick Ewing), Houston (Clyde Drexler, Okeem Olujawan), and I'm sure many others. As a small forward, his FG% was in the 60th percentile. Not only could he jump very high, he seemed to defy gravity as his hang-time was unreal...not to mention, his gracefulness and body control. I've searched for a Mizzou highlight video of the early 80s and haven't been able to locate one. There are some clips of Mizzou games on youtube when Rickey played.

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 4:46 PM

LOL....SemoNorth...In the past 40 years, you could add all the white boys up and be lucky to come up with 10 total....just a little exaggeration, but not far off

Just off the top of my head, some who have played (I know I'll omit some):

Chase McClendon

Tre Watkins

Jason Bledsoe

Josh Thompson

Jeff Moore

Paul Moore

Tim Moore

Mark Malugen

Thomas Rolwing

Terry Schott

Dan Bailey

Bennie Bruenderman

Jr. DeLay

Larry Smith

Woody Simmons

Butch Smoot

Steve Ritchey

Tom Daughhettee

Tom Nolen

Charlie Babb

Fray Morrow

Spike Crannick

Paul Wayne Groves

Billy McClendon

That's going back to the late 60s....I'm sure there are some that I've left out...but, as you can see, going back 50 years and there just hasn't been that many.

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 4:57 PM

Just remembered one I left off.....Dr. Tommy Schott

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 7:01 PM

Of those listed above, these are the ones I remember as varsity starters: Tre Watkins, Chase McClendon, Josh Thompson, Paul Moore, Terry Schott, Jr. DeLay, Woody Simmons, Charlie Babb (could be another one, or two)

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 7:05 PM

Still not a Chase Mclendon fan hahaha. NMCC can't play defense with .6 seconds left!? No offense to Chase haha!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 7:32 PM
  • Don't forget Steve Moore who scored 61pts. That may have been a state record. Jeff Moore and Larry Smith were both starters in their senior years

-- Posted by blue73 on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 9:23 PM

Steve Moore was before integration.

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 9:26 PM
  • Don't forget about Moses rowe in the 8th grade he was playing high school ball & had to sit out his senior year cause he had played 4 years of high school ball

-- Posted by chs00 on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 10:55 PM
  • Someone I've haven't seen mentioned is Shana Cooper. The best defensive stopper I've seen at Charleston. Had a somewhat limited offensive role, but could fill it up when needed. Seeing that almost every player on the '92 state champ team is listed on here, thought Shana talents need to be pointed out! CHS2MRH saw it first hand everyday. Shana could guard anyone on the floor.

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Sat, Feb 15, 2014, at 9:25 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: