Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Basketball Top 10?

Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 8:39 PM:

As #1we all anxiously await Sideline Starter's first official Top 10, I thought it would be fun to debate who we all think should be included and why. Sideline may even get some good info from it. Now that we are a month into the season I think we have enough games to make a ranking.

"Parity" has been the buzzword to describe this season and boy have we seen it in spades so far! I think most would agree that unbeaten Jackson is #1 followed by once beaten Sikeston at #2, but after that you may as well pick the names out of a hat IMHO. For example, Notre Dame has beaten Sikeston and Charleston, but lost to SCC, and only narrowly defeated Leopold and Oran. But Charleston has beaten SCC who knocked off Kennett who defeated Cape Central who hammered Charleston. See the problem?

With all that said, here is my Top 10:

1. Jackson

2. Sikeston

3. Kennett

4. Cape Central

5. Charleston

6. Poplar Bluff

7. Scott County Central

8. Notre Dame

9. Caruthersville

10. South Pemiscot

On the Bubble: Clearwater, NMCC, Oran, Bernie, Hayti, Chaffee, Leopold.

Replies (86)

I think the top part looks pretty good! (Cape might take Kennett). I will make the case that I believe NMCC could beat SCC, Caruthersville, and South Pem. NMCC has beaten Cape, yes it was Capes first game of the year but it was NMCC's first game as well. I think the victory over Cape and playing ND to 6 points at ND should maybe bump them ahead of Caruthersville and South Pem.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 8:54 PM
  • Preach...I agree with you about the first 2, then the rest are fuzzy. At this point, Jackson should be 1 and Sikeston 2. I'm not sure about Kennett at 3. I might switch them and Cape. Did Kennett beat Cape in New Madrid earlier this year?

The rest is probably about right, although I don't know much about Caruthersville's body of work.

Good list....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 8:57 PM

No Rocket, they beat them at the SEMO Conf tourney. Kennett beat SCC at New Madrid. NMCC beat Cape at Riverbend

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 9:05 PM
  • SCC beat Kennett at New Madrid by 1

-- Posted by DWinKenMO on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 9:07 PM
  • SCC beat Kennett at New Madrid Riverbend.

-- Posted by jayrod on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 9:14 PM
  • Poplar Bluff beat Cape 77-53 and lost to Jackson by 5. I don't think Cape or Kennett should be that high.

-- Posted by PBMuleFan on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 9:16 PM

Yep my bad on that one. Got em backwards

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 9:17 PM
  • I watched Cape 3 times over the past week...they are definitely a top 5 team in the area. Sounds like they are much improved from the Riverbend.

I also don't see SCC losing to NMCC.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 9:28 PM

I do. But I guess we won't know until they play each other. Have you seen NMCC play!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 9:35 PM
  • Yep, a couple times in the conference tourney.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 9:42 PM

Yeah I unfortunately didn't get to see them play against Sikeston.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 9:46 PM
  • You all make good points. After the top 2, it's just very hard to rank the teams. I gave Kennett the benefit of the doubt after a very impressive run to win the BCT. Cape is a team on the rise, winning 4 of their last 5 including giving Jackson all they could handle in the championship game of the Cape Christmas Tourney. But I couldn't give them the nod over Kennett since they beat Cape head-to-head. Poplar Bluff has also beaten Cape and has close losses to Jackson and Madison Prep, so you could make a case to switch them. But they lost to Charleston who got whipped by Cape.

Caruthersville is a buzzer-beater loss to Hayti from being undefeated. I thought South Pemiscot was the 2nd best team I saw at the BCT, so that gets them a spot in my Top 10. Both teams have played a solid schedule. NMCC has losses to Sikeston, Charleston, and Notre Dame and sit at 3-3 which puts them on the bubble for me.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 11:57 PM

Vague post of the day. Mainly because I mean for it to be that way because I'm not mentioning names or schools. Hearing from some credible sources that one of these top 10 teams will be taking a blow. Don't be surprised if you see a roster change in the near future.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 12:04 PM
  • Buck, are we talking an injury, suspension, quitting or what? Not asking you to name names, just looking for a little more information.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 12:17 PM
  • BTW, I encourage other posters to give us their Top 10 as well.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 12:18 PM
  • Gosh thanks Buck!! Well I'm thinking its not Sikeston since I probably would of heard about it since my son is on JV

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 12:19 PM

Ummm really neither if the 3 preach. I guess "failure to follow school policy" would be how to put it.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 12:43 PM
  • Probably grades Preach.

Also you have to put Bernie in that 10 spot. come-on man.. lol

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 1:05 PM
  • Yeah you gotta have bernie over south pem

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 1:20 PM
  • Actually you have to have NMCC in that 10 spot...

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 1:26 PM
  • Sorry BBfanatic and yaeger, but after watching Bernie and South Pem play Kennett, you just have to give the Bulldogs the nod right now. I gave my reasons for putting NMCC on the bubble right now, but they would be my #11 team.

Give me your Top 10 guys. I would really be interested in your thoughts.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 2:05 PM
  • I like it PMF but still think SCC should be the only class 1 & 2 team in the poll at this point.

Kennett might be a little high. Correct me if I'm wrong but do they have any wins against a class 4 or class 5 team? A 30 point win against class 2 Bernie is not a good enough win to place them in the 3 hole IMO.

The top 5 teams could all upset each other on the right night IMO.

Good poll sir.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 2:19 PM
  • 1. Jackson

2. Sikeston

3. Cape

4. Charleston

5. SCC

6. Poplar Bluff

7. Kennett

8. NMCC

9. Notre Dame

10. ???

-- Posted by playdeep on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 2:37 PM
  • Uncle Charlie,

Kennett did defeat Cape Central in the SEMO Conference tournament before falling to Jackson and Sikeston to finish the tournament in 4th.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 2:42 PM

Official Top Ten should be coming Sunday. Work has prevented me from being able to do it sooner. I appreciate your patience.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 2:52 PM
  • Will give it a shot:

1. Jackson

2. Sikeston

3. Kennett

4. Cape

5. Charleston

6. Poplar Bluff

7. SCC

8. NMCC

9. ND

10. C'ville

May have Kennett too high. Think they can beat anyone on list or be beaten by anyone on list. Their head to head win over Cape makes it hard to drop them behind. I have been impressed with Poplar Bluff so far. Jackson is top team, no doubt at this point. I do think they will beat Sikeston when they meet. I agree, a lot of parity.

-- Posted by bball79 on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 3:34 PM
  • Preach:

My list is not far off with your's but I would put Cape3 Kennett4 PBluff5 Charleston6 and place NMCC in 10. those 3 losses are to good teams(Sikeston/ND/Charleston). What has S Pem proved? They beat Hayti by 8 but also lost to Hayti by 10 right. Who have they beat? (Hayti). All I hear is Bernie has a weak schedule and who have they beat. (Hayti)That applies to S Pem also. I don't think gauging teams off of how many they lose by works. If so Bernie/Oran are done for the season and we know that isn't the case.. SCC deserves to be there...

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 3:34 PM

Thats a good point. NMCC's losses are all to teams that should be ranked pretty high. I'd argue that they have played one of the toughest if not the toughest schedule so far having played Cape, Sikeston, Notre Dame, and Charleston, and only one of those being at home (and it was during a shootout not a regular season game). But I also agree that the need to do some more proving, and I could see them in the 8-10 range, or on the bubble depending how you look at it. Got some good games this week ahead.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 3:41 PM
  • Sideline, I'm looking forward to it. Hope we can give you some food for thought here.

Again, you all make good points and with all the parity, it's really hard to argue against including some of the teams you've mentioned.

As for South Pemiscot, as I said, I thought they were the second best team in the BCT (after Kennett of course). They've split their games with Hayti and after watching both teams play Kennett, I just think the Bulldogs are a step ahead of Bernie right now. If the Mules can get Kirkpatrick back, it might be a different story. I also can't wait to see the rematch between Hayti and Bernie.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 4:02 PM
  • 1. Jackson

2. Sikeston

3. Poplar bluff

4. Notre Dame

5. Cape

6. Charleston

7.Kennett

8. SCC

9. NMCC

10. C'ville

-- Posted by bean84 on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 4:44 PM
  • 1. Jackson

2. Sikeston

3. Poplar Bluff

4. Kennett

5. Cape Central

6. SCC

7. Charleston

8. Notre Dame

9. NMCC

10. Caruthersville

-- Posted by DWinKenMO on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:07 PM

These last two posts have Charleston below teams that they have beaten by double digits. DW's poll has SCC ahead of Charleston who the Jays just defeated in the consolation game of the Christmas Tournament by double digits; Jays also defeated PB in the conference tourney by double digits.

bean84 must be a ND alum....nuff said! lol

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:20 PM

I think the 3 spot is the toughest. Who gets it!? Cape, kennett, or Charleston!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:28 PM
  • Cape has my vote at the 3 spot. I didn't see them in the conference tourney, but I was impressed in the Christmas Tourney and it sounds like they have significantly improved over the first month of the season.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:32 PM
  • SCC beat Kennett WITHOUT their best player !!!!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:33 PM
  • 1. Jackson

2. Sikeston

3. Cape

4. Charleston

5. PB

6. SCC

7. ND

8. Kennett

9. NMCC

10. Caruthersville

Can't say I know much about Caruthersville. I only saw them play at Rib City.

The others I have seen at least a couple times this season.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:35 PM
  • Cat that does matter. But it also matters that Kennett's head coach was not on the sidelines that game. Both are pretty important.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:36 PM
  • I think right now Cape is #2

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:36 PM
  • I think Cape very well could beat Sikeston, I'm a little hesitant to rank them at #2 just yet though.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:38 PM
  • There's 4 or 5 teams that could be in the 3 spot ..

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:39 PM
  • Why do you think so DA#1OLDCAT?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:39 PM
  • That Cape should be ranked ahead of Sikeston that is?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:40 PM
  • I put Cape at 3 based off Christmas tourney. Of course they have good size which gave Charleston trouble. I will say that Statum went off against Jackson with 28 of Capes total. Not sure if he is capable of that regularly as I've only seen them twice.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:45 PM
  • I wouldnt go with Cape at 2 over Sikeston simply because Sikeston plays much better team ball and I think that will give Cape trouble. As I just said Statum was amazing but he singlehandedly kept them in the Jackson game.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:48 PM
  • The good thing about Cape is that they don't need 28 from Statam if they have Cox performing. Not to mention Al Young, who averaged 13.5 ppg during the tournament. I'm not sure how it will play out over the season, but they look to have 3 guys who are capable of putting up 20 on any given night.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 7:53 PM
  • Farm. Excellent point about Cape but in the Championship game they only had 4 people score. Thats why I'm still putting Sikeston ahead of them.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 8:02 PM
  • I'm with ya. Nice to have guys capable of big games, but only having 4 guys score against Jackson caught my eye as well.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 8:04 PM
  • The jays didn't beat scc by double digits only 6

-- Posted by DR.BBALL on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 8:15 PM

1 sikeston 2 jackson 3 cape 4 ND 5 charleston 6 PB 7 SCC 8 kennet 9 NMCC 10 Bernie

-- Posted by B&RBasketball on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 8:16 PM
  • I was a little disappointed with only 4 players scoring for Cape but then I started thinking about it more. Reddin did not score, but he is not typically one to put up big numbers. He often scores from cutting to the basket, but that was a lot harder for him with his size against Jackson. Haggerty had several missed shots underneath while he was in. Looked like he was forcing it. The only other person I even remember playing was a freshman guard that subbed in for Young.

I'm not too worried about this though. Central has had plenty of games like that over the past few years. It's just the personnel they have and the type of offense they run. I'm sure everybody has noticed by now that every year central's offense is focused on feeding the ball to 1 or 2 players.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 8:42 PM
  • Therein lies the problem for Cape. As more scouting is done and teams see that really only a couple people are a scoring threat they will be easier to plan for. Of course thats dependent on having the personnel to defend them, which many teams in the area do not have.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 8:51 PM
  • And there lies the reason they are successful. Over the last couple years it's been rare for a team to contain our mobile big men. Even Sikeston hasn't really shut down our big men. They've still scored when they got the ball, but the guards haven't been able to get it there. This is excluding the undefeated season. Not saying I like this type of basketball, but that's how they play. They only develop a player or two a year and the others are just supposed to play defense and rack up the assists.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 9:26 PM

Actually, Charleston beat SCC by 7, a 3-possession win. At this point in the season, I would rank the Jays at #4 behind Jackson, Sikeston and Cape Central. However, I've not seen as much improvement in the Jays as I've seen in some of the other teams.

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 9:35 PM
  • Personally I just don't think that is the formula for long term success. Right now Cape is just too reliant on a couple people. That is why I mentioned earlier about Sikeston having the upper hand with their team oriented philosophy.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 9:38 PM

Jackson

Cape

Sikeston

Poplar Bluff

Charleston

Kennett

SCC

Notre Dame

NMCC

Oran

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 9:57 PM
  • IndianPride, I agree with you on your first point about long term success. It's going to bite them in the rear one of these years when they don't have that player to rely on. They've been very fortunate as of late, but then again they always have these types of athletes; it's just that lately they've made grades and stayed out of trouble.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 10:24 PM
  • Hayti beat Cville while turning the ball over 30 times (no hyperbole here) they had 35 turnovers and beat cville if our guards just shoot the ball and stop forcing it to the burdens we will win the district, I think we will beat kennett as well

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 11:50 AM
  • My Top 10

1 Jackson

2 Sikeston

3 Caruthersville

4 Cape

5 Kennett

6 NMCC

7 Bluff

8 ND

9 Charleston

10 Bernie

I know you can say this team beat that team, that team beat this team. In highschool basketball, almost anybody can beat anybody on a given night. I may be a little bias with Caruthersville. I admit that. They are one buzzer beater in a game that they shot something like 40% from the line from being 7-0. But they are not, they got beat by Hayti who play very hard and hit big shots. They are soon to play Hayti again, NMCC, and Charleston within the next few weeks. At that time, they will either get everybodys attention or not. The are strong inside, have strong guards that can shoot, and very deep bench. Not for sure, but I cant imagine at least 4 of their starters not averaging double figures. They score a lot of points and score them fast. With that said, I give much respect to Charleston and NMCC in District. Caruthersville will have to play very well to beat either team. Caruthersville is rarely mention at all on this site. Just wanted to give my homeboys some recognition. Please dont shoot me for my opinion. Yes, its an bias opinion.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 12:51 PM
  • BasketballRim, I agree that Caruthersville is a Top 10 team right now, but I don't believe they're the #3 team in Semo. Also posters like Cheesehead, wheresthebeef, and Judgedog do give the Tigers a lot of love on Semoball. If Coach Smith can keep his team together this year, they should have an outstanding season.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 12:59 PM
  • Two teams we all seem to agree belong in the Top 10 square off tonight as Charleston visits Notre Dame. In addition to being a conference game, it's a rematch of their OT thriller at the SEMO Conference Tournament won by Notre Dame. Charleston will try to avenge that loss as well as build momentum for Tuesday's showdown with Sikeston. Should be another great game!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 1:54 PM

That should be a fun one. I'm taking Charleston.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 2:33 PM

While I do agree with you BasketballRim about Caruthersville being a top team in the area, I still think they need a couple signature wins in order to be ranked that high. Cville is loaded with talent this year and have the depth to go along with it for once. I see some great things from them this year. I believe they will give Charleston and NMCC all they want, esp with Charleston being down a bit for their standards. Anyone have any idea where C3D1 will be played this year?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 2:51 PM

Pretty sure unfortunately at Malden again cheese.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 2:54 PM

eh! I'd like to have it at Cville or NMCC. What are the rules for hosting every year? Do the participating schools vote to decide?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 2:57 PM

Yeah me too I'd love to have it at one of those two. Pretty sure it normally runs in two year cycles. And yeah the participating schools vote on it I believe. I'd like Cville or NMCC to speak up and try to get it at the district meeting.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 3:02 PM
  • BuckMajor, I agree that Charleston will win tonight's game. Does anyone know if it will be web-cast?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 4:09 PM
  • I think Charleston can be beat in the district.I havn't seen Cville play. I think next year will be NMCC year.

-- Posted by jayrod on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 4:15 PM

PMF, go to the bottom of semoball home page. There is a link for what looks like a student web cast. I haven't heard of anything else.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 5:38 PM
  • Thanks Larry!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 6:25 PM
  • Any comments on the ten weakest teams in semo?

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 7:50 PM
  • No!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 8:02 PM

Charleston up 37-27 on Notre Dame at half

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 8:08 PM
  • Charleston 58, Notre Dame 45 final score.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 8:52 PM

Charleston over Notre Dame 58-45 @ Notre Dame

sort of ruins some your top 10 rankings

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 8:52 PM
  • Oran 58, Woodland 47. Keep an eye on Woodland. They seem to be much improved this season.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 9:29 PM
  • Helias 55, Cape Central 52.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 11:07 PM
  • I agree with Cheesehead. Caruthersville needs to beat NMCC and Charleston to be a top three team.

Cville beat a very big and athletic team in Blytheville tonight 80 to 64. Monroe had to have at least 30 points and 20 rebounds. Four of the starters fouled out tonight. It was homecooking usa at Blytheville. The bench came in tonight and didnt miss a beat. Tyler Grissom (6ft 4in) was able to play tonight for the first time all year. He was in double figure in points and rebounds coming off the bench. Cville will get three more players next week that couldnt play the first semester because of grades. What I understand, two of them will be starting.

8-1 on the year. It looks like they will be 13-1 going into the Hayti rematch game. Who knows. In the bootheel, you can get knock off on any given night.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 11:56 PM
  • That's a good win for Caruthersville. I have no idea what some of the Arkansas teams on their schedule bring to the table but their schedule looks pretty favorable going into the rematch with Hayti. When was the South Pem rescheduled for?

Also, Jackson lost for the first time this season today to Vianney 49-46.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Jan 4, 2014, at 6:16 PM

Caruthersville has the talent and depth no doubt but everything has to come together to beat great teams. We miss ALOT of shots right at the basket and you need those shots to fall against teams like Charleston and NMCC. I am glad that we are having multiple players with double figures this year and have probably one of the best sophomores in the Bootheel in Tyrone Alston the kids basketball IQ is way up there. Hardly ever takes a bad shot and always makes that extra pass to find the goal. As long as this team can stay out of foul trouble during the first half they are a dangerous team.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Jan 4, 2014, at 6:43 PM
  • i know im biased lol but scc has wins on 2 teams on some peoples top 10 and some people don't even have them in the top 10,please explain lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 9:14 PM
  • Nothing against C'ville, but I've heard Blytheville is like 0-15 on the year.

-- Posted by Shank on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 9:24 PM

That's right Shank but anytime a Missouri team travels to Arkansas or any of the bordering states, lets just say the officiating isn't the best.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 9:33 PM
  • Agreed kmasters. Anyone who doesn't have SCC in their Top 10 is really biased or just isn't paying close enough attention to Semo high school basketball.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 10:02 PM

Yaeger- Bernie was disqualified from any top ten list because their coach was caught scouting other opponents, semoball CEO & Oran Mayor, Uncle Charlie reports.

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 11:50 PM
  • LOL sounds about right

-- Posted by yaeger on Wed, Jan 8, 2014, at 6:14 AM
  • Good point Cheese

-- Posted by Shank on Wed, Jan 8, 2014, at 6:16 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: