Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: What happen to Scc traditional style of play?

Posted by slkrik on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 12:46 PM:

I'm very displeased with the style of play Scc coach is trying to instill on the team then commenting in the paper how he's not satisfied with there performance. I played basketball for scc from 3rd grade to highschool the first couple things we learned was the legendary press and run and gun we knew it like the back of our hand girls and boys we took pride in it we loved being able to go 100mph and not get tired and the other team about to through up trying to keep up now we walking the ball down playing stall ball and letting the offense come down the court with no pressure on the ball then standing 10ft from the ball when we guard on the point then he hollering like he doing something we need a true alumni or somebody that is passionate about scc tradition that Larry Mosley and Coach Cookson instilled in us as elementary kids this is not Cairo or Meridan we take pride in our traditional style of play not this slow pace no pressure junk how do you expect us to beat a team by letting them setup a zone and score little as we is then on D walking back and standing twenty feet back thats absurd its people in the stands that can do better and thats guranteed and he gets paid for it bc we know the traditional style and we take pride in it......

Replies (80)

• My goodness. Scott central loses a couple of games and the rocket scientists in the stands go nuts. Unfortunately for some of you scc fans you're going to have to learn that you won't win every game you play. But go ahead and blame coach. Maybe you will run him off like you did wright. I'm sure people will be knocking the walls down to come there, especially since they've had, what, one junior high team the last two years?

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 1:40 PM
  • I think a new English teacher might be of greater importance than a new basketball coach.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 2:23 PM
  • You have a point on the style of ball changing and not being as exciting as in the past but need to remember this is not a SCC team from the 80s or 90s. I think Staples does a great job given what he has and where he's at. He seemed to revive SCC basketball this year, when last year at this time it looked like it could be going down the drain.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 2:38 PM
  • Hell, sounds like they should just hire you slkrik. You seem to have it figured out.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 3:51 PM
  • fred Johnson brought a lot to this team this year!!!!! unless you have played for scc you really don't know what slkrik is saying, (really) its easy as a fan or former player from another school to comment on this post.but unless you have lived a scc brave you really have no clue what it has took to make this tradition, and yes the way they have played the last 2 years is not scc style...period..

-- Posted by kmasters on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 9:29 PM
  • Uncle Charlie doesn't have a clue.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 9:47 PM
  • I'm not an Scc grad . But I have been around the program enough to know that SCC has more state championships by playing tough in you're face defense than most schools have in all sports combined.I grew up in southern Il they play a different style of ball over there .Thats why when they play northern IL teams they get there butts kicked.One thing I've learned you don't mess with tradition .

-- Posted by braves win on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 10:27 PM

I have been hearing about this group of people at SCC not happy with coach staples,I guess it is finally hitting the forums i don't think he is going to run rc's 2-1-2 press and some are just going to have to get use to the new style!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 11:35 PM
  • English teacher it is!

-- Posted by Hatershate on Wed, Jan 8, 2014, at 8:27 AM
  • Actually, SCC ran a 1-2-2 press.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Jan 8, 2014, at 8:32 AM

I wonder if the SCC peeps are kicking themselves now for running their old HC out of town?

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Wed, Jan 8, 2014, at 9:12 AM

Thanks for the correction Rocket689!

-- Posted by porchswing on Wed, Jan 8, 2014, at 10:28 AM
  • To be completely accurate, SCC ran a 2-2-1 back into 2-3 through Cookson's career. When he came back to coach the second time they ran the 1-2-2.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Jan 8, 2014, at 10:34 AM
  • braves win.. that same "style of play" beat Charleston the other day... who beat SCC... so apparently it's not too bad.

Listen at the end of the day it's not X's and O's it's about Jimmys and Joes. All that matters is if he gets them playing hard, and they are a lot more disciplined this year than last so he is doing a good job.

Every coach has their own way, and is successful in their own way. Sikeston and ND play zone and they are successful. Charleston plays man and they have been successful. It doesn't matter.

Lay off the coach and cheer on your kids.

-- Posted by Radar99 on Wed, Jan 8, 2014, at 11:46 AM
  • Please you have to keep posting slkrik! I haven't laughed this much in a long time!

-- Posted by Hatershate on Wed, Jan 8, 2014, at 6:54 PM
  • I always like the old 2-2-2 press myself...talk about hard to score against.

And sorry, but style of play doesn't mean success. If it did, every team would run the same offense and defense.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 8, 2014, at 8:33 PM
  • 100% correct FarmBoy.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Wed, Jan 8, 2014, at 9:05 PM
  • First of all I have to say scc has GREAT tradition When it comes to basketball. But with that greatness there will always be down years. There is no getting away from that.

I am a huge bball fan I have been following in the semo & southern ill area for years. I think coach Staple is doing a very good job with what he has. Lets face it he doesnt have the talent that scc has had in the past and thats not a knock on the kids

But when you say cairo or meridian does not take pride in their tradition like they are some kind of push over programs then you are sadly mistaken. Cairo and meridian have produced some of the best talent I have ever saw in this area point blank period. So with saying that I in my opinion coach staple is doing a fine job with what he has. Give him a break scc actually has a good team im looking for them to be in columbia this year myself

-- Posted by cardinalred on Wed, Jan 8, 2014, at 11:09 PM
  • The style of play that Scc plays now is called, what family did you come from. It has been like that forever and will not change until coaches stop having favorites, and play the BEST players. The coaches have gone soft and cater to the players and are afraid of the parents. Give me Cookson, Porter or even Heeb any day over the last couple of so called coaches that SCC have had.

-- Posted by sccslave on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 12:07 AM
  • The bottom line is this the coach that scc have now needs to understand that the traditions that exists in terms of play style runs rich in its involvement based on success in fact scc is the most wining program in missouri history due to the formula that was created for the success of the program......its like being given a kfc resturant why would you alter or even change the original recipe this is formula for the success.....so with that being said the same formula that success that has been seen at scc has spilled also in sikeston's program due to this formula now its understandable that he wants to create his own identity but seems like he would for the most part embrace the culture of the program that has brought so much success sad thing is he knows b/c he was an assistant on 2 or 3 the last state championships if he wants to be successful he has to stick to the original recipe! Its what works scc has the most championships to prove it does!

-- Posted by Sportssmarts on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 1:24 AM
  • Oh by the way @cardinalred with the formula for success scc dont have down years only when the formula is not in place I think they have maybe at most 6 or 7 years to account for what you would call down years and that is because the formula was not used....in other words they brought in coaches who didn't stick to the formula all the other years they where very successful....#checkthehistorybooks!

-- Posted by Sportssmarts on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 1:36 AM
  • Folks they still have a great chance at winning state... lay off the man.

-- Posted by Radar99 on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 7:46 AM
  • So what is the legendary press they always learned in elementary school? A 2-2-1 or a 1-2-2?

-- Posted by baseballfan2011 on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 7:52 AM
  • I can't believe this thread. I haven't seen SCC play this year but they are competing and winning. So what if he uses a different style in doing it. As long as they are competing and playing hard and winning how can anybody complain? People jumped all over Sikeston when they switched from man to man to zone but nobody is complaining anymore. It's been a proven success. So maybe SCC is doing things a little different than they've done in the past, big deal. If he wants to play differently and establish his way of doing things, more power to him. If they were sitting here getting smoked every night, then I can see where there might be some concern. But wow folks. They're winning. Give the guy a chance.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 8:06 AM
  • SCC used a 1-2-2 back into a 2-3. And I don't know Staple but he seems like a decent man and their team is doing good. I understand that just about every "fan" in the bleachers for SCC used to be a part of that 1-2-2 press! So they want to see it done the same old way it's always been done because that way worked. That makes sense. But every coach has to coach their team how they see fit to coach it. If Staple is doing a good job and the kids are respectful and play hard I say leave him alone.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 8:26 AM
  • I think that post needs to be deleted and that guy banned. That name shouldn't even be allowed as an user name.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 8:59 AM

Ask and ye shall receive.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 10:49 AM
  • No one is coming down hard on the man the point is he just needs to equip his guys with the formula that has brought scc Sooooo much success if he wants to try some other things so be it but just dont deviate from the formula that has brought success he knows it does cause he was an assistant for the last 3 state titles

-- Posted by Sportssmarts on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 12:05 PM
  • The reason you won the last thee titles was because you had the number 3 pick in the NBA draft and a mixture of other tremendous talents... sure the "formula" may help but players win games not schemes.

-- Posted by Radar99 on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 2:35 PM
  • Actually the last state title they won, they didn't even have a kid taller than 5'10.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 3:06 PM
  • Exactly your right! But the formula accounts for a tremendous amount of that success! With the number 3 pick and all!

-- Posted by Sportssmarts on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 3:46 PM
  • Walt you really don't know much about SCC , do you ??

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 4:04 PM
  • Scott County hasn't won state titles because they run a 1-2-2 or a 1-2-1-1 or a 2-1-2 or 2-2-1. They win bc they are in better shape, play harder, and out work you. They could've played a full court man with their 07-12 teams and won just as many games.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 4:21 PM
  • For you all saying it's his coaching that is helping win, it's not. Before I say this, I have respect for Kenyon, but its kind of like when he was the coach, he lucked into having talent. You could've had a 4 grader coach the teams he had and they still would've won state. There is no different with this "coach" they have now. He came in with a talented team and is riding it out. He doesn't deserve to have the title of Head Coach at SCC in my opinion. Like I said, he caters to certain players and their families and is deathly afraid of the Wizardry of one particular parent the most. It's really ashame.

-- Posted by sccslave on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 4:23 PM
  • Wow! Like no one couldn't figure out who you are talking about with that one certain comment in there.

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 4:35 PM
  • I have 1more comment then I will go back to just reading. At the Christmas tourney it looked like Coach Johnson was doing the coaching to me.

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 4:37 PM
  • Agreed TFA.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 4:48 PM
  • At the end of the day wether he caters to one are two people on the team or not I really dont think that is what stagnates the success of the team which to be honest they are doing a Great job we just pride in the success of the program due to somethings that they dont do right now but hey! Who knows lets see what happens!

-- Posted by Sportssmarts on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 6:09 PM
  • Staple seems to have better discipline than wright did.

No doubt that most anyone would have won state titles with wrights first two teams. However you have to give him his due with the job he did with his third group. They were not head and shoulders above everybody else. Drexel could have easily beat them. They were also challenged by eminence in the quarter final.

After reading some of this garbage on here I'm pulling for coach staple. I guess if you graduated from Scott central your entitled to your piece of the pie. #sarcasm

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 7:17 PM
  • Walt Jr is wrong to say that schemes don't win games. Sure enough you gotta have the horses. But to insinuate that schemes don't matter, we'll look no further than the Sikeston bulldogs. Coach holifield, who is a wonderful coach became a much better coach in the eyes of public opinion once he abandoned man and started zone pressing into a 2-3 half court. Your kidding yourself if you think schemes don't matter.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 7:21 PM
  • Your killing me! Did you read the start of this thread! He's either a 3rd grader or he didn't graduate highschool! I'm sure scc alumni are ashamed with the butchering of the English language!

-- Posted by Hatershate on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 8:29 PM
  • Id have to say Mr. Porter may have earned some credit within the program.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 9:11 PM
  • Well let's end this convo like this, Everyone is saying this coach and that coach, yet we all are forgetting the man who gave over half of the kids that played basketball a great foundation. This man is Larry Mosley, that man spent his Saturdays building a foundation for those kids and taught them the fundamentals of the game both boys and girls. He instilled hard work, the run and gun, and he didn't care what family you came from. You played hard, you hustled or you sat the bench. If it weren't for him, the players of the last decade or so wouldn't have been anything.

-- Posted by sccslave on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 10:49 PM
  • Sccslave. If your trying to insinuate that Jeffrey Porter shouldn't be playing you're crazy. That kid is seriously good and is only going to get better!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 10:58 PM
  • I dont care how good anybody is on scc if frank staples dont go back to the formula for success they'll have good seasons but will never reach the promise or the top of the mountain however you wanna look at it and almost dont count when you trying to reach that goal!

-- Posted by Sportssmarts on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 11:42 PM
  • ?????

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 11:46 PM
  • Did I say that ANYONE should or shouldn't be playing? I believe what I said was that He caters to certain kids and their families. In other words, if you spend more time focusing on certain ones, the rest fail. A team is only as good as their weakest link. So don't try and put words in my mouth. Since you want to name throw though, yes Porter is one that Staples caters to. I think if I was hinting at anything, it was that Staples is Afraid, yes afraid of Big Otto. Like Sportssmarts said, Staples needs to get back to the formula the SCC is used to. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

-- Posted by sccslave on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 12:03 AM
  • jwhitlock so does that mean that if Charleston wanted to be more successful they should switch to zone? I am not saying playing zone is bad, but to say that is the sole reason for being successful is just crazy.

You ask any basketball coach they will agree that styles may help win games, but it's the players that win it.

-- Posted by Radar99 on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 8:08 AM
  • The original post with 237 words in one sentence has to be a record for run on sentences.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 8:23 AM
  • Last I checked this isn't an English forum, just basketball

-- Posted by Sports guy on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 2:58 PM
  • The comment or topic really has nothing to do with Charleston. First off, nothing is broke at Charleston. Therefore, since the same coach has remained there for some time, the schemes are unlikely to change, that is, unless there's a specific need for them to change, which is unlikely.

If you understand the topic(which I believe you do), then you understand why I used Sikeston as a specific example. Sikeston used to play primarily man. During this stretch they experienced some success, but nothing like they have since the "scheme" has changed. Since they've become a zone team, they obviously have been along with, along with SCC and Charleston, the top program(s) in the area. The scheme, combined with the coaching and the horses equals success. In many cases, they are equal in importance. Of course, in some cases teams are just sometimes outmanned.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 3:34 PM
  • I'm not sure I'm following the argument of some of the SCC fans on this thread. Are you saying winning somehow doesn't count unless Coach Staples coaches like Ronnie Cookson? That tradition trumps winning? Because Coach Staples is winning. If he wins a state championship with his style of play, will that satisfy you or will it be tainted in your eyes because it wasn't done the traditional SCC way?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 5:02 PM
  • When M. P. and the boys moved in, it all changed. Sikeston has been playing S.C.C. style basketball ever since, and it's working good for them too !!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 5:12 PM
  • Your right DA, thats what makes Holifield a great coach...he adapted to his personnel . His teams play a zone as good as I have seen. Cookson was ahead of his time. Loved watching SCC and now I love watching Sikeston play.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 7:11 PM
  • Freedom of speech I can say what I want to, so what if they ban me I don't post on here anyway I'll tell him to his face and his assistants. I'm just speaking facts when people say we recruiting we don't say ban them off I don't have a problem with him just the lack luster effort....Like last year it was rumored he said tear all these banners down and win them the right way. Which way is that how can you be a hater and you the coach just get you one or two so that's why I believe he's changing it up

-- Posted by slkrik on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 9:06 PM
  • Look at the Lakers since Phil and his system left.

-- Posted by slkrik on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 9:16 PM
  • Actually when the Porters moved to Sikeston they continued to play man to man for two or three years, including when they took 2nd in the state in 2006. They didn't switch to zone and zone press until 2009. But yes, since then they have basically played old school Cookson style of basketball. But it's not just the defensive scheme. Those boys have been in the gym nonstop, working on shooting and just playing the game. The defensive scheme gets all the publicity, but what is lost is how well Sikeston's teams shoot the ball now. 10 years ago they couldn't throw it in the ocean. Getting in that gym and working on shooting has changed everything. And they are doing it with average to below average sized kids, many of which aren't the greatest athletes, but they work their butts off and know their roles within the system.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 10:15 PM
  • Hoops you are correct. Sikeston shoots the ball real well. Now I'm not totally in agreement with your comments regarding the level of athlete they have. Although they don't have great size every year they do have pretty fast,quick kids that also work their tail ends off.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 11:51 PM
  • Some are very good athletes. Yes they've had several. But they get major production year in and year out of guys that aren't very fast and not very quick, but are highly skilled, highly motivated, and high motors.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Jan 11, 2014, at 12:01 AM
  • Some of these charleston and Scott central fans crack me up.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sat, Jan 11, 2014, at 11:26 AM
  • That's right Dean, I remember those days.I think Mac liked to beat you 42 to 39 there was a lot more D than O going on !!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Sat, Jan 11, 2014, at 12:44 PM
  • No it's just that sr. Can't get as good of move-in's as Cookson!

-- Posted by Hatershate on Sat, Jan 11, 2014, at 5:12 PM
  • +1 to Hatershate. SCC just doesn't have the talent they've had in the past. If SCC would've played man to man or a 1-3-1 zone or anything at all with Porter, Hatchett and those kids their record would have been the same.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 10:15 AM
  • I don't agree with everything coach Dora at according but don't make attacks on him unless you are man enough to reveal who you are ,

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 1:19 PM
  • Sorry should of said does new I phone lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 1:25 PM
  • Norway possible I would take a coaching job.i couldn't deal with all the bs it consist of I would be fired because I would knock someone out lol go staples do your thing lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 1:35 PM

You don't think you would Finnish the season?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 2:35 PM
  • They would have to Sweden the pot Larry.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 3:45 PM

:)

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 3:50 PM
  • Not sure what you were saying but I have the utmost respect for coach Staples! His team represents SCC as student athletes better than any before! I think they will be at final four!

-- Posted by Hatershate on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 4:22 PM

I'm sure they'd be Hungary for another state championship either way though.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 4:55 PM
  • Are you saying you would need a bigger Czech, gostlrams?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 4:58 PM

Yeah Buck, they'll be Russian back to CoMo if they get a chance.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 5:08 PM

Oh you can Tibet on that Larry!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 5:13 PM

But if they don't win you will hear the Wales all the way back here.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 5:20 PM
  • I wish they made everyone on here put their real names,that way the cowards wouldn't. Be posting bs hiding behind their false names,all I can say is go braves and yes this is my real name I don't hide lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 5:37 PM

I was gonna try to incorporate the capital of Thailand but thought better of it.

Most fun on a sports forum since the old Mosports days.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 5:53 PM
  • kmasters, that is your real name? Kinda different, most people I know have at least two names! I couldn't find kmasters in the phone book!is it k masters, or masters k?

-- Posted by Hatershate on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 5:56 PM
  • First off k is my first initial but yes masters is my last name and if you would like to know my first name put your number on here and I will call you and. Tell you what it is lol ironic a lot of people like talon smack behind their little screen names on here !!!but if their real name was on here they wouldn't say to much, which if I post I want you to know what I say lol guess the marines made me that way !!!!!

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 7:46 PM
  • no need to bash the porters on here, they are a good decent family, if you have a problem with them go talk to sr. besides getting on here hiding behind your fake names and coward ways!!!!! just sayn

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Jan 12, 2014, at 8:45 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: