Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Top Recruiting Classes for 2014-2015 season

Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 8:24 PM:

With the 2014-2015 season right around the corner, teams have been hard at work with extra incentives to gain that upper edge on talent for the upcoming season. We'll see soon enough who's efforts were successful. Here is UC's analysis of the top 5 Semoball recruiting classes for the 2014-2015 basketball season.

1. ND - Basically all of Notre Dame's success comes off its recruiting efforts. This year is no different with a great group of Juniors from Kelso, Missouri. It'll be a wait to see if Notre Dame can dominate the Scott Co. area for years to come.

2. SCC - SCC is good enough to recruit players with the same last name as a lot of families within the district year in and year out. This year, landing 5-star recruit out of Blytheville, AR Owens, seems to show SCC's recruiting efforts are definitely paying off after a year of turmoil.

3. Oran - Oran is the most productive (besides Notre Dame) school in recruiting athletes for both baseball and basketball. Moore, Schlosser, Heuring, Elfrink, Carlyle, Beardslee, Dooley, and many more are all recent 5 star recruits Oran has landed in the past 10 years. Oran school has a heavy influence over in the New Hamburg and Benton area also. We'll see if the bubble gum and sports cars along with recent success will be enough to recruit every athlete out of Kelly high school to the point they don't even have a sports program.

4. Valle Catholic- Valle is a very good school for many sports programs. I would have to say with Valle's success in many different sports, they are the most underrated 2014-2015 recruiting class. Music playing in their pitcher's year can't even hinder their baseball team. Along with a strong influence within the high school's town, Valle is good at landing home town prospects.

5. Bell City- Bell City is last on my top 5 for the fact they have no experienced much success on the court lately but seem poised with David Heeb's prodigy CJ Hadley at the helm. Heeb's efforts on the recruiting trail always will have an impact on Bell City as a hot target for recruits between the friendly community and Finney's convenient store right up the road from the school.

Feel free to debate.

Replies (51)

This is swell UC I like it. Reminds me of something I would do.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 8:28 PM
  • Uncle hitting the moonshine again.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 8:30 PM
  • Should put scc at. #1, they did beat nd with their move in's!

-- Posted by Hatershate on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 8:30 PM
  • Thanks Bunk, slow Monday.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 8:34 PM
  • Who is the GREAT "group" of juniors from the basketball hotbed of Kelso? I can think of ressel and eftink and eftink doesn't even start.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 8:40 PM
  • Shively is the other one I'm thinking of but he might be a Benton kid.

Ressel, Shively, Crippen, Eftink, and Hulsolf all show ND's recruiting success in Scott Co. A good bunch.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 8:45 PM
  • Crippen isn't from Kelso and neither is shively.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 8:50 PM
  • Crippen from Chaffee

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 9:27 PM
  • Correct falls and I don't think hulshof I'd from Kelso either.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 9:44 PM
  • Hulsolf is from the Randles area.

Ressel - Kelso

Eftink - Kelso

Shively - Benton

Hulsolf - Randles

Crippen - Chaffee

*All live in Scott Co. and majority of the 5 live in Kelso including the best overall player out of the 5 listed. Sorry for the confusion bullet.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 9:52 PM
  • Uncle---The majority of 5 is 3 or more. You listed 2 which were the 2 I said initially and ressel nor eftink have even started the last 2 games.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 9:58 PM
  • 2 out of 5 are from Kelso.

1 out of 5 are from Benton.

1 out of 5 are from Randles.

1 out of 5 are from Chaffee.

That's one more tally for Kelso than the rest last time I checked, A MAJORITY.

Trollin' season I'm starting to think.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:00 PM
  • Notre Dame goes 10 deep basically also. Who starts is irrelevant. Poythress is the only player on that team head and shoulders better than the rest.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:01 PM

Point being is that Notre Dame will draw in kids from predominantly catholic parts of the area. Some of these kids will be good at sports. This does not mean ND recruited the kids to play ball but rather that it is a happy coincidence for ND. When kids from Memphis with no ties to the region or catholicism or any financial means appear on ND's roster I will flip the proverbial furniture call recruiting problems.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:01 PM
  • I guess whoever beats Oran is recruiting

-- Posted by airmaxx on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:07 PM
  • Uncle C hit the hanging curve outta the park.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:07 PM

I do believe that Randles is actually in Cape Girardeau county and is in Delta school district.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:13 PM
  • Wow uncle! Did you go take math at Oran? A majority of 5 is 3 or more. 2 out of 5 is a plurality. If 5 people vote on a situation then you have to get 3 to have a majority. That must be some strong moonshine tonight.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:14 PM
  • I didn't think of that Larry. I knew Randles was in Delta's school district but thought it was in Scott Co. since Delta's in the Scott-Miss. Conf. Thanks for pointing that out. Hulsolf went to grade school at GA in Oran correct?

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:16 PM
  • Bulletman, don't try to correct him. If you do, you are a troll. Name calling is only option when no other option presents itself.lol

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:17 PM
  • Yeah, had a mid 20s score on the math section on the ACT actually. Not great but alright. We're talking about "the" majority, not "a" majority I thought.

The moonshine jab is weak. Say something how it ties into the catholic religion in Oran so we can start that whole debate or don't say nothing at all.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:24 PM

Ow look arguing semantics when one has no point to make or useful dialogue to use in discussion. That trick is tried and true.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:30 PM

Yes he went to GA so he was able to take advantage of the "Mangles" system.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:32 PM
  • I thought so but wasn't for sure.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:33 PM
  • You keep changing the subject. Your original post said 5 kids were from Kelso. WRONG. Then you said all 5 were from Scott County. WRONG. Put any semantic on the definition that you want. 3 or more out of 5 is "a" or "the" majority not 2 out of 5. That's a plurality but it doesn't matter because you don't even know where Hulshof lives apparently. So now we're down to 4 of which only 2 live in Kelso which is what i posted over an hour ago. Good night.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:35 PM
  • It's always better when your the one with the line and hook isn't it bullet? Especially when the fish are biting for over an hour. Sleep tight.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:42 PM
  • I don't see why where they live matters. They're all from the kelso area why is there an agruement

-- Posted by slumdogsports on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 11:13 PM
  • I know the New Hamburg kids can choose between Kelly and Oran school district, picked up by the state.

Do the Benton kids have the same choice?

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 7:06 AM
  • Owens was a previous student at Scc even in elementary do your research Pershard Owens little brother Jreece Johnson little cousin Tre Johnson little cousin he's not new to this he's true to this

-- Posted by slkrik on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 11:20 AM

I guess you can't see the comma button with that eye patch on.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 11:24 AM
  • This was for laughs and I laughed!! Thanks

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 11:24 AM
  • Slkrik, don't even try to explain the tradition at scc. They don't get it. There is a sense of pride and belonging when you put that jersey on. There is no feeling like it when you look at those banners and know you were part of it. The folks that are jealous are the ones that will never understand.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 11:27 AM
  • If you live in new hamburg, Chaffee, Oran or Scott city. You can go to any of the 4 Kelly Chaffee Oran Scott city. Yes I know Kelly isn't in new hamburg

-- Posted by Tigerforlife on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 11:34 AM

Choking on my vomit from that mushy self righteous crock of stew. IT IS A SATIRE FOLKS! He is poking fun at the propensity for this board to insinuate recruiting.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 11:34 AM
  • Te same applies if u live in Benton

-- Posted by Tigerforlife on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 11:42 AM

Notre Dame has the ultimate trump card in the recruiting wars. Jesus and a brown robe wearing brother/principal/monk. Hard to tell them No when they are over for tea and scrumpets meeting with your parents.......It wasn't that long ago that Benton/New Hamburg was Kelly Hawk territory, I can't think of 1 student that was in my class that attended Kelso C-7 (Hamburg) or St. Dennis (Benton)that went to Notre Dame. From the boy standpoint I give credit to our parents for having little league teams and summer basketball teams in which we all played together and became close friends and wanted to continue that in high school. I am guessing that doesn't happen as much now

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 12:08 PM
  • i got a good comment on the charleston scc article check it out

-- Posted by slkrik on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 12:13 PM
  • good one BuckMajor....to much flash from my flashy jewelry lottie dottie who came to party

-- Posted by slkrik on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 12:17 PM
  • Yeah uncle it's always good to fish. I went this morning and saw these 2 guys on the bank. Said they were kin to you. Nice looking family! Since they were kinfolks I asked them if 5 hillbillies were taking a vote on who got to use the indoor plumbing how many would it take to get the majority. They both said 3. Maybe they can let you know how to calculate that at the next family reunion. Happy New Year to all you semoballers!

-- Posted by crackerjack on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 12:30 PM
  • First let's define recruiting asking a player to come to your school isn't recruiting

Second all of those teams other than Oran and Valle catholic are having down years so obviously there really bad at recruiting or they don't recruit

-- Posted by Tigerforlife on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 12:31 PM

Hahaha nice! La di da di, we like to party

We don't cause trouble, we don't bother nobody!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 12:49 PM
  • The definition of recruiting is "to engage in finding and attracting employees, athletes, new memebers, etc....."

If someone could tell me what players currently on the Notre Dame basketball team were recruited would be great. All are Catholic so obviously they and their parents chose ND

-- Posted by slumdogsports on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 1:14 PM
  • Bullet, I'm done trolling. It's time to clear the air. You deep down like/know what I'm talking about and just like to stir the pot (Dedicating days of your time to negate me) or are a big ND supporter and didn't like seeing 3 players that slipped through Bro Dave's radar have a day against your Bulldogs yesterday. Your starting to get boring and sound like a child with your slander. There's bigger and better things on Semoball for me than that. Whatever the situatiom, you clearly did not like this forum for sure.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 2:57 PM
  • What's so bad is I'm pretty sure u were just joking around. I thought bulletman was from cape? It's hard to remember who is from where sometimes.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 3:02 PM
  • No Charlie. You just lied and I'm not an ND supporter at all. Your just make up facts as you see them. I'm moving on to.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 3:10 PM
  • Because of this thread we now have people "defining" recruiting. You must be proud.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 3:15 PM
  • The whole forum was created as a joke TFA. Bullet just took the bait from a hillbilly.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 3:15 PM
  • Happy New Year from one redneck to one hillbilly! May 2014 continue to bring exhaustive debate on semoball on various topics.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 3:22 PM
  • You get a salvage title sports car from wood if you choose Oran? That's every teenagers dream along with plenty of bubble gum.( I take it Gelsheimer's and Oran kwik stop provide that)

-- Posted by BLARNEY CARNEY on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 3:58 PM
  • If anyone from ND team was recruited it would've been Poythress. All his older siblings went to JHS, however; he is Catholic and went to St. Vincent's. Grant Ressel was going to ND no matter if he played sports or not, all his siblings went to ND.

-- Posted by ball_hs on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 6:39 PM
  • It's not recruiting.... every town with a catholic grade school is a training ground for "ND"... just get used to it. LOL

-- Posted by sportsguy007 on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 4:11 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: