Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Sikeston at Notre Dame rematch

Posted by Chazzy on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 11:48 AM:

What are your thoughts on the rematch at ND?

Replies (60)

It should be a close 1st and 2 nd quarter but after halftime I thing sikeston we'll come out strong sikeston win 65-52

-- Posted by B&RBasketball on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 11:53 AM
  • I think Sikeston is going to make some defensive adjustments (both on their press and half court defense) which will hopefully take away some of ND's open looks. ND shot 54% behind the arc last week. Jackson showed that a hand in ND shooters' faces can have an effect on their shot. I believe the Sikeston will now have a chip on their shoulder with something to prove. Besides, it's been a while since Sikeston has won at ND....time to change that too.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:23 PM
  • If JT spends more time in the paint and Sikeston gets balanced scoring they win. Dont let ND's top two beat you from the outside. Make them put the ball on the floor. ND has some other nice players but no one that will beat you like their top two can. If they do that its Sikeston by 15.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:24 PM
  • I also think some of the Sikeston players became hesitant to shoot an on open mid-range jumper against ND the first time. They seemed to shake that off during the Kennett game. I believe Sikeston will shoot it better this go around. ND had something to do with the Dogs not shooting it particularly well.

Some of the Sikeston players had only played 2-3 varsity games and still have quite a bit of inexperience. I think the team has some confidence and will improve from here.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:28 PM
  • I agree Rocket. If Sikeston can make those adjustments and lower the amount of turnovers then it will be a red and black ball game.

-- Posted by Chazzy on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:30 PM
  • Agreed, IndianPride. Those things you described happened against Kennett. I think we had 3 or 4 guys in double figures.

Against ND, we were hesitant to shoot so we looked to get it to JT....which is ok, but the other guys have to score to take some of the load off JT. I think this time Sikeston will focus more on balanced scoring and a little better half court D.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:30 PM
  • ND's defense is good, but shooting is on and off at times. Sikeston just needs to improve ball-handling, lower turnovers, and it'll be an easy win for them.

-- Posted by @realjoenorthern on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:31 PM
  • Chazzy...agreed. Some of the turnovers (while ND had a lot to do with it) were a result of inexperience. I know there will only have been one game before the ND game, but there is a week's worth of practice as well. I think we will see some improvement. I think Corbyn, Reese, Chris, Marquese, and Ja'lon all played VERY well against Kennett. That isn't counting JT, Zach, and Dominique. We performed much better. I think that will only improve as the season goes along.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:34 PM
  • @real...I don't know about easy, but I agree that those things you discussed will certainly be key to a W.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:35 PM

ND beating them at home is the thing that worries me. That normally gives Sikeston a few extra points advantage. Although I do think SHS can make the defensive adjustments that they will need to make. They really need to make Notre Dame turn the ball over, I think that is very key to beating their style of play. Also ND might have a pretty physical game with NMCC earlier in the week. Even though they lost at home and this one is at ND, I like the red dogs by 5.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:45 PM
  • I hope Sikeston can defend a lay up because if they break the press like they did last week and the officials we will have up there, Sikeston won't have a chance. I believe we are better when we trap at half court then trying to press full court.

It will be close but I say ND by 8 points.

-- Posted by PManning_is$$$$$ on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:45 PM

I think ND wins this game in a close game at home as long as they limit their turnovers. This is going to be where they struggle this year. If they keep their guards out of foul trouble, handle the ball, and keep their turnovers to a reasonable number they should be able to pull out a victory especially at home. It is going to be hard for Notre Dame to shoot like they did in the first game, but I still expect them to have a good showing from the field. I really hope the rematch is as good as the dogs first match up.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:48 PM
  • Sikeston will always have turnovers, that is the style of basketball they play. I have watched for several years and coach Holifield has never worried too much about turnovers.

I agree with the pace to push the ball but these 1 hand passes over their heads or out of bounds kill me. FUNDAMENTALS.......

-- Posted by PManning_is$$$$$ on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 1:58 PM
  • Notre Dame winning against us is like the fluke when NMCC beat us last year. Sikeston isn't going to shoot 5-25 from 3 again. I say sikeston wins by 11

-- Posted by TheeBleacherBum on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 2:01 PM

Maybe Sikeston just isn't quite as good as they were last year and Notre Dame got better.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 2:04 PM
  • I hate to say it but you may be right. We will have to wait and see.

-- Posted by PManning_is$$$$$ on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 2:07 PM
  • What you got to add into everything, the game is at Notre Dame and they always enjoy the home cooking they get up there.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 2:09 PM
  • yal are acting like Notre Dame played a perfect game the first go around. They made about 10 errant passes that are easy fixes that lead to turnovers which Sikeston converted into about 5 easy layups.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 2:16 PM
  • Playing at Notre Dame may be a problem. If they understand now that the tall boy from ND can shoot from the 3 so they need to guard him we might win it. If they figured out what walking is and that if they are under the basket and shoot it because there's a possibility they will be fouled we might win. But there are only 2 guys on our team that played a lot of varsity last year so I think eventually they will get it but again playing at Notre Dame might be a problem.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 2:27 PM
  • I don't think anyone said ND played perfect, but shooting 54% behind the arc isn't normal...for any team. If Sikeston can make some defensive adjustments I like their chances in a close one.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 3:01 PM

If Sikeston can get Williamson or Ressel in foul trouble they will probably win. When ND has both of them in their turnover rates drop and their offense scores.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 3:16 PM

Rocket your forgetting that's illegal to be a rational Sikeston fan. By just citing things we need to do like limit turnovers, stay consistent on defense especially in the half court, and take the open shot when it becomes available are mean things that are not useful analytic bits of info that they appear but actually a conspiracy of excuses conjured up to disturb the teams that play basketball in Cape County's rightful place as undisputed best team ever.

Seriously of this tournament proved anything it's that anyone can be beat so FallsSoHard chill out.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 3:35 PM

TFA I think everyone on Sikeston knew that Poythress could shoot coming in. The kid just balled and sure he got a few easy ones but for the most part the were on him tough. There is one in particular I remember Quinn being glued to the sideline and falling away into the out of bounds section between his bench and court and nailing with a guy in his face. Sometimes that will happen. I would prefer Sikeston to not give up on possessions in the half court on either end. Defensively a lot of easy paint buckets that this team should be able to defend with it's relative size and athleticism. They just got frustrated and conceded passes and shots in order to try to find an offensive rhythm that they couldn't find.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 3:48 PM
  • I must of seen when he was open only. That night was a blur for me I'm trying to forget.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 4:40 PM
  • No way i see sikes winning by double figures at the Bingo Palace. If we win it'll be down to the wire. If bluedawgz win i can see us gettn frustrated by an early deficit and possibly losin by ten or twelve, like two years ago. If our press is as leaky as last week or if we cant put a hand in their faces on threes, it'll be a long nite.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 5:08 PM
  • Upvote for "Bingo Palace" lol.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 5:29 PM

The Class 4, District 1 winner is...? Who is going to State (possibly)?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 5:36 PM

Who knows at this point str8. I do think that Notre Dame is the favorite right now followed by Sikeston and Kennett than Cape Central. All four of those teams should theorethically get better through the season and I do think the winner pretty much cake walks to CoMo again this year.

I'm take a second to say how much joy and pride that brings me when I say that it's anyone's district and they will probably cake walk to CoMo. It speaks to level of competition and the talent level of these programs and how they and players in this area have developed. This is no longer just SCC and Charleston's area to be recognized in and that started with the Hansbroughs at Bluff and has manifested itself across the region which is amazing considering in it has led to this dramatic of a shift in just a little over a decade.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 7:05 PM
  • Love it when the "gifted" ones of sikeston gets beat its ALWAYS a fluke. Hilarious.

-- Posted by bbfan18 on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 7:18 PM

Bunk....bit of an overstatement

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 7:21 PM

Probably just felt like saying it. Also no one said that Sikeston was a fluke just that it's not impossible for Sikeston to play better and win a game.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 8:03 PM

I could see people getting turned away at the door before this game if they do not get there early enough. It would be the first time in a while Notre Dame has had this problem.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 8:35 PM
  • I will be there early, stick.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 9:05 PM
  • Notre Dame winning against us is like the fluke when NMCC beat us last year. Sikeston isn't going to shoot 5-25 from 3 again. I say sikeston wins by 11

-- Posted by TheeBleacherBum on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 2:01 PM

-- Posted by bbfan18 on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 11:09 PM

So one fan stands for us all huh

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 11:17 PM
  • Anyone else think NMCC will upset ND?

-- Posted by Radar99 on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 12:01 AM
  • Anyone else think NMCC will upset ND?

-- Posted by Radar99 on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 12:01 AM

Portageville, P. Bluff, ND, etc. (S.C.C., Delta women) have been State contenders for decades...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 3:49 AM

...also N.M.C.C...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 3:50 AM
  • Would hope not but you said no one bunk

-- Posted by bbfan18 on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 3:52 AM

I think the ND & NMCC game will be a good one to watch and for the playoffs I would watch out for the quarter final team in there they would give us a good game

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 7:07 AM
  • TheeBleacherBum

The game Thursday wasn't a fluke win for ND, it's obvious that they have a good team this year and they had a really good shooting night. Tahoe kind of games happen when you play a good team with good shooters. That would be the same as saying Sikeston had a "fluke" win if we were the team shooting 54% from 3. If it were a team like Dexter that beat us (who scored 25 points total vs Twin Rivers) that would be a fluke

-- Posted by cms14 on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 8:11 AM

I feel like NMCC has a very good chance to beat ND. Check the last two years when ND and NMCC matched up before the ND/Sikeston game. Two years ago NMCC won at the "Bingo Palace" 57-52 I believe, when NMCC had a pretty bad year. Last year ND went down to NMCC and had to come back from double digits to win. I know its a new year and all, but my point is that if ND is looking directly at the rematch w/Sikeston, then NMCC has a shot. If ND comes focused on the task at hand...they beat NMCC by 15-20

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 3:40 PM

Only about 7 hours away from game time. The "REMATCH" should be an electric, high intensity game that will be a lot of fun to watch. I got ND winning 58-54. I think this game is going to come down to big stops and who can play defense. Cant wait for this game. Im going to be there by at least 6 so I can get a good seat.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 12:01 PM

Can't wait for it either thunderstick. Probably going to show up right around that time

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 12:04 PM
  • I have no dog in the fight but think that Sikes will win this one. Both teams are good but I don't think Sikes is as good this year as last. ND's big year will probably be next season. I certainly think ND can win this one at home but after only beating NMCC by 6, I have to wonder if they can pull it off. JT must dominate around the paint area and Reese will have to play well. What it comes down to, I guess, is that I think Sikes will guard better than ND. We'll see.

-- Posted by bball79 on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 12:34 PM

Im at ND right now and Id say the gym is a 3rd full and filling fast. Parking lot is proly getting tight too.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 5:48 PM
  • Score up date

-- Posted by dawgswagger on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 7:51 PM

Sikeston led 14-10 after the first quarter. They lead 30-21 with just over a minute left in the second. If you have twitter, I'm updating a bit more: @sd_sports.

-- Posted by Chris Pobst on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 8:07 PM

At the half, Sikeston is ahead of Notre Dame 30-21. J.T. Jones leads Sikeston with 6 points. Quinn Poythress has 7 for Notre Dame.

-- Posted by Chris Pobst on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 8:12 PM
  • Sikeston 30

ND 21

Half

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 8:13 PM

So far so good for Sikeston way more aggressive tonight on both ends but ND missed two open 3s so this game could be completely different. Sikeston needs to maintain pressure.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 8:14 PM
  • Sikeston 44

ND 40

Start of 4th

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 8:39 PM
  • Sikeston 54

ND 49

2:48 4th

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 8:51 PM
  • Sikeston 64

ND 54

Final

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 9:00 PM
  • Sikeston 64

ND 54

Final

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 9:00 PM
  • Good job by MY bulldogs. I had to leave at half but listened to it all the way home.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 9:46 PM
  • Great job Bulldogs. Defense was much better and keeping that back door layup they had last game. Their 2 main shooters were dead tired and had no legs left.

Good Luck at St. Dominic

-- Posted by PManning_is$$$$$ on Sat, Dec 21, 2013, at 9:39 AM
  • Sikeston made adjustments on D (didn't I mention that earlier...lol) that took away the high postand limited ND's open 3 ball looks. They also made some changes on their press which took away the diagonal pass which gave away several layups in the first meeting. Sikeston will ALSO continue to get better as the inexperienced guys get more and more game time. To quote Coach Holifield "I really like this team." Go Dogs!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Dec 21, 2013, at 10:36 AM
  • ND I just don't seem to have a whole lot to me. If they see Sikeston again later in the year I'm willing to bet the difference in the score will be even larger. That being said I don't believe the reddogs can beat those bluejays.

-- Posted by BIG G on Sat, Dec 21, 2013, at 2:32 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: