Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: SEMO CONFERENCE TOURNEY!!!

Posted by EagleAgent00 on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 9:33 AM:

So, the SEMO Conference Tournament is coming up. Who do you see in the Championship game? I would like to see a rematch of last year between Sikeston and New Madrid, but it could be some suprises this year. Let me know what you guys think!!!

Replies (108)

• Hard to really predict such an early season tournament. But I bet the winner will play tough defense and score more than the other team!! Seriously it is hard to seed teams this early, but should be an exciting week of local basketball. Good luck to all teams involved and fans please remember good sportsmanship is very important.

-- Posted by semo ref on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 9:58 AM
  • Charleston hasn't looked so bad like reported,then again when are the Jays ever just terrible?They won districts last year and I still think that Charleston will repeat this year and not because I'm a late grad of CHS.However,I see Bluff or Sike winning it,but SEMO knows you can't count the Mighty Jays out!!!

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 1:05 PM
  • How does Central get the 7 seed...we about suprise all people are whole teams got a lot better just wait.

-- Posted by ctjungle11 on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 4:41 PM
  • Wow. Clearly a fine product of Cape's public school system.

-- Posted by ballfan91 on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 9:06 PM
  • Easy there, ballfan. Let's discuss the substance, not the style. Do you think Central was seeded fairly?

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 9:15 PM
  • Once Cape proves that they can play, then I will agree that they were seeded unfairly, but they have been a second tier team in the conference the past few years and would need to prove themselves beofre I argue their seeding. Sikeston beat Park Hills Central 79-42 tonight so I guess they aren't suffering football hangover too much although I don't know how good Park Hills is. Rachel, you need to be sure to be at the conference tourney in Sikeston. It's one of the best atmospheres in the area since all of the games are full unlike some other tourneys where some games are seemingly dead.

-- Posted by s-town4292 on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 9:26 PM

What do the seeds look like?

-- Posted by EagleAgent00 on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 9:33 PM
  • 1. Sikeston

2. Poplar Bluff

3. Notre Dame

4. New Madrid

5. Jackson

6. Charleston

7. Cape Central

8. Dexter

I think the Top 4 are sort of interchangeable. They all seem so close based off of who they lost from last year and what they've looked like in the games they've played that any of them could beat any other and it wouldn't be a shock.

-- Posted by s-town4292 on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 9:51 PM
  • Wow what school system are you out of ballfan91

-- Posted by ctjungle11 on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 10:06 PM
  • Please don't respond ballfan. I don't want to start deleting posts for back-and-forth bickering between individuals.

Topic = SEMO Conference Tourney. Focus.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 10:13 PM

I agree with s-town4292 I also see the top four teams being interchangeable which should set up some very high energy exciting matchups! I Can't wait till monday!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 11:27 PM

How did New Madrid get the #4 seed after coming in 2nd place last year to Sikeston?

-- Posted by EagleAgent00 on Fri, Dec 4, 2009, at 12:10 AM
  • I agree with s-town also. Central has a lot to prove before they deserve to be seeded any higher. They do seem to have some talent this year, but until they get some Ws on the board, it's hard to put them any higher...

-- Posted by ballfan91 on Fri, Dec 4, 2009, at 12:14 AM
  • I agree eagle agent. I was under the assumption that they ranked the tournament according to finish's from the previous year's tournament because the ranking came out so early in the year making it almost impossible to get an accurate ranking.

-- Posted by mandm96 on Fri, Dec 4, 2009, at 9:14 AM
  • The seedings are done by the coaches or Athletic Directors.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Fri, Dec 4, 2009, at 10:42 AM
  • 2-0 i think thats a couple of wins...and james lane has double double in both games

-- Posted by gocardinals987 on Fri, Dec 4, 2009, at 9:50 PM
  • I posted this on another thread, but I think it actually belongs here. It will be interesting to see how Sikeston does this year. They are a team with nothing resembling a "big man". Corey Porter fills the role, and does a good job, (I haven't seen the stats, but I think he actually led the team in scoring tonight in Sikeston's win over Dexter)but he is not a prototypical center. They remind me a little bit of the way the Missouri Tigers play, or a lot like some of the Charleston teams over the years. They will have to rely on athleticism, pressure defense, balance and depth. I wonder how they will fare against a team that can handle pressure, slow down the pace, run an offense and pound the ball down low to a bona fide post player

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Fri, Dec 4, 2009, at 9:54 PM
  • Football monkey,

To answer your question....tonight Sikeston played Dexter. Flaningan scored 30 against Charleston Tuesday night. Tonight he scored 8 against the Dogs pressure defense. Dexter scored 0 points in the first quarter and had 8 at the half. I realize it's only the 2nd game of the year, but Flaningan is 6'5" and played very well against a better than average Charleston team. By the way, the Dogs won 64-23. Porter did tie for the team lead in points with 14 with Juqualin Wiggins. Sikeston is going to have a very balanced attack while going 9-10 deep and not missing a beat.

I posted this on a different thread as well....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Dec 4, 2009, at 11:00 PM
  • Thanks, Rocket.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Sat, Dec 5, 2009, at 12:16 PM
  • I think the questions about Sikeston that have been raised will be answered next week in a very competitive SEMO conference tournament. This next week should give a strong indicator of the pecking order in Southeast Missouri area basketball. Also teams like SCC, Bernie, Bloomfield, and Caruthersville could be other teams that figure into the mix in my opinion. Good luck to everyone. Play hard, stay healthy, and exhibit good sportsmanship.

-- Posted by semo ref on Sat, Dec 5, 2009, at 12:45 PM
  • I didn't catch the name completely, but I thought I heard a fellow with last name of "Schonhoff" (sp?) announced as an assistant for Sikeston last night. Is this correct? If so, wasn't he recently the head coach at East Prairie? If this is true, how long has he been at Sikeston?

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Sat, Dec 5, 2009, at 12:53 PM
  • Football monkey

He is an unpaid assistant who is an employee of the Sikeston school district. Yes, I believe he was the head coach at East Prairie last year. This is his first year with the Sikeston program.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Dec 5, 2009, at 3:01 PM
  • Once more, Rocket, I thank you.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Sat, Dec 5, 2009, at 7:04 PM
  • No problem, monkey. My pleasure! LOL!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Dec 6, 2009, at 1:51 PM

well wat does the schedule look like????

-- Posted by EagleAgent00 on Mon, Dec 7, 2009, at 8:57 AM
  • These early season tournament seedings are usually based on the previous year's record. Can't play too much into them. Cape Central has shown they are definitely much improved from last year.

-- Posted by 4dakidz on Mon, Dec 7, 2009, at 4:16 PM
  • "Cape Central has improved"

I would beg to differ on that. I watched them struggle to put up 33 against a team from Gosnell Arkansas that wasn't very good. Maybe I caught them on a bad night, but I was not impressed at all.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Dec 7, 2009, at 4:41 PM
  • I need to correct myself. The team they played was from Nettleton Arkansas. Either way, they weren't good.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Dec 7, 2009, at 4:43 PM
  • They won, no? I mean...

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Dec 7, 2009, at 8:38 PM
  • Sure, they won. Was that the debate here? They struggled to put up points on a bad team. If every team they play this year only scores 22 points, then Cape Central is probably going to have a good year. Let me know if that happens.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Dec 7, 2009, at 8:53 PM
  • Cape proved tonight that their seed was exactly where they needed to be. They're about done playing Bluff now but when I left the Fieldhouse, they were down 31-9 and couldn't do anything. Sikeston and New Madrid both won though New Madrid looked real sloppy and I'm going to assume Bluff did the same. Thursday should be pretty exciting. I expect to see you there Crader. If you are, I will personally introduce myself and we can talk sports if you want.

-- Posted by s-town4292 on Mon, Dec 7, 2009, at 9:34 PM
  • NOTRE DAME BULLDOGS KNOWS DEFENSE. NOTRE DAME BULL DOGS WILL PULL OFF ITS DEFENSE TO WIN THIS TOURNAMENT. CHARLESTON BLUEJAYS HAS ALWAYS BEEN KNOWN FOR THEIR DEFENSE. COACH MAC WOULD HAVE A SMALL TEAM EACH YEAR BUT HIS DEFENSIVE ATTACK WOULD TAKE HIS TEAM TO STATE EACH YEAR. NOTRE DAME HAS PICKED UP ON THEIR DEFENSIVE MODE. YOU HAVE KEY PLAYERS LIKE NIC, KE KE AND ALEX WHO PLAYS SOME IMPRESSIVE DEFENSE AND CAN COME IN AND SCORE. THEN YOU HAVE OUR BIG MEN JACOB AND MATTE SCORING DOUBLE FIGURES AND JACOB ADDING DEFENSIVE AND PULLING DOWN THE REBOUNDS. THEN YOU HAVE LIAM, KE-KE TAYLOR ADDING THE THREE POINTERS AND LUCIANO DRIVING IN. THEY ARE AN ALL AROUND TEAM. NOTRE DAME DEFENSE WILL WIN THE GAME IT IS BASICALLY UP TO THE COACH BECAUSE NOTRE DAME HAS PLAYERS WHO ARE WILLING TO GO BEYOND THE LINE OF DUTIES GIVING 110% BECAUSE THEY LOVE THE GAME OF B BALL AND THE BULL DOGS ARE HUNGRY FOR A WIN.

-- Posted by FELISSAK on Mon, Dec 7, 2009, at 11:56 PM

Your caps lock is on.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 8:18 AM
  • Charleston rarely has had small teams. They've always had huge guys in there. Mac had a few teams in there that weren't huge, but they certainly weren't small. But for the most part, Mac always had some monster in the paint (Lamont Frazier, Iric Farmer, Jewell Crawford, Danny Farmer, Cedric Rodgers). You can go on and on here.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 8:24 AM
  • Speaking of defense...In the first 2 games of the season, of course not including last night, Sikeston has 52 steals in 2 games! Now that's DEFENSE!

-- Posted by mandm96 on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 8:34 AM
  • In my opinion both Sikeston and Poplar Bluff played the best last night. NMCC looks very athletic and once they get in sync they will be a handful. Notre Dame plays tonight and will give local observers a look at their level of play, which I think will be very good. Thursdays semifinals look to be some great matchups pending the results of Notre Dame-Charleston. This tourney is a good preview of the larger area schools and how strong their teams are. I am going to predict a Sikeston-Poplar Bluff final. But we shall see. Good luck to all the teams.

-- Posted by semo ref on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 8:37 AM

Sikeston has 75 steals through 3 games. They had 23 last night.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 9:12 AM
  • Wow! Holy Crap! Sheesh! Crazy! Unbelievable! LOL

-- Posted by mandm96 on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 9:29 AM
  • Sikeston will win a state title this year...mark my word...they are unstoppable!!

-- Posted by RedShirt on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 9:37 AM

HAHAHA, I'm assuming that's sarcasm, redshirt. Sikeston has a solid squad, but they have a tought opponent within their district in Notre Dame as well as a possibility of a rematch with Borgia again.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 9:44 AM
  • Borgia is loaded. They return their 2 top players from last year. Whoever gets out of the local district will have a very difficult time with Borgia. I don't know much about Notre Dame, but they always do a good job of identifying and capturing local talent and always put a good team on the floor. You can never count them out.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 11:12 AM
  • And you have to remember it's not what Borgia and Notre Dame have coming back from the previous year, it's what they go out and get for the new year.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 12:00 PM
  • I know Notre Dame added the Sterling kid (I think that's his name) from Dexter. Did they add anyone else? I know Borgia returns Scherer (sp?) from their championship team from last year and their second leading scorer as well. Given geographical restraints, I obviously don't know as much about them.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 12:10 PM
  • football, Luciano Starling is the kid from Dexter. From what I have heard, he wanted to return to Dexter to play, but only had 1 year of eligibility there. Not sure how that works really, that's just what I've heard.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 12:38 PM
  • Starling - not Sterling - thanks Farmboy. I don't have any idea how that works either. I heard from very questionable sources that he is/was an exchange student and that MSHSAA rules allow athletic eligibility in these cases in special circumstances for one year only, but that there may be a difference between private and public rules. Don't know for sure, but that is what I was told.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 12:45 PM

I would have to say if Sikeston wins the Semo Conference Tourney, you have to say they are an easy front runner in SEMO basketball. If you ask me personally what I think after watching them on the court I would say a famous line once spoken by a great guy from Sikeston...

"We going to Columbia, We going to Columbia OMG I can't believe it We going to Columbia"

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 1:23 PM

The only thing that worries me, hoops, is that we need to be more crisp and smart about our transition passing. We lost the ball way too much last night, IMO.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 1:40 PM

I agree... But you have to remember we lost 2 weeks of practice time to clear up those issues...

If we pull of the Semo Conference Tourney we will be the FORCE in the area and with the speed and defense these guys are playing W-A-T-C-H-O-U-T!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 2:40 PM
  • Yeah and just wait until Sikeston plays in the Poplar Bluff Showdown over Christmas................Oh that's right the A.D. forgot to get them into the tournament!

-- Posted by tlks2much on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 4:27 PM
  • OR, Sikeston could get an offer to play in the Missourian Christmas Tourney because one team wanted out just for this year and it was offered to Sikeston, but turned down because Sikeston was playing at Bluff that week! And also told that if they played in it this year that Sikeston would be in it for life because they are expanding it next year! But, now Sikeston has neither! AWESOME!!!

-- Posted by sportsfanatic on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 10:43 PM

i think that new madrid vs. sikeston will be the game to watch the rest of this tourney. These two teams are two of the best teams in SE MO(not forgetting about SCC). I think that whoever wins this game will win the tourney. Expect a full house @ the fieldhouse Thursday!!!!!!

-- Posted by EagleAgent00 on Tue, Dec 8, 2009, at 10:57 PM
  • I BELIEVE THAT NDH [BLUE/BULLDOGS] WILL TAKE IT TO THE SHIP THIS YEAR. THEY HAVE THE BIG MEN AND THEY HAVE THE GUARDS AND THEY HAVE DEFENSE. THEY HAVE A BENCH THAT IS ON FIRE AND IS READY TO COME OUT AND GIVE 110%. IT BASICALLY UP TO THE COACH- IF HE GIVE HIS GUYS THE REST THEY NEED WHEN THEY GET TIRED AND THEN THEY WILL BE BACK ON FIRE WHEN THEY HIT THE FLOOR. JACOB GOT TIRED TONIGHT- SO HE GOT 2 QUICK FILES- HE WAS EXPECTED TO PLAY HARD DEFENSEN AND OFFENSE FOR THE ENTIRE QUARTER BUT HE GOT TIRED AND NEEDED TO REST-THEN GO BACK IN THE GAME- BUT HE STILL PULLED IT OFF TONIGHT HITTING OVER 20 PLUS POINTS. DEFENSE WAS KIND OF DOWN BUT THAT IS DUE TO THE ROTATION - THE GUYS NEEDS PROPER REST. I BELIEVE THURSDAY NDH WILL BE IN RARE FORM AND UNSTOPABLE. I KNOW POPLAR BLUFF WILL PROBABLY DO A TEN MAN ROTATION- BUT I BELIEVE NDH- CAN WORK THEM TILL THE END- THE GAME MIGHT BE CLOSE BUT I THINK NDH WILL COME OUT ON TOP.

I BELIEVE NDH COULD HAVE WON THE SEMO CONFERENCE LAST YEAR -IF THE TEAM WOULD HAVE GOTTEN PROPER REST AND THEN WENT BACK IN- BECAUSE LAST YEAR WAS A TEAM THAT WOULD NOT STOP- THEY KEPT COMING.

SO WE WILL SEE THURSDAY I BELIEVE THURSDAY WILL COME DOWN TO WHICH COACH DOES THE BEST COACHING- BOTH SCHOOLS HAS A WINABLE TEAM.

I GIVE COACH FRAZIER HIS PROPS HE READS THE GAME AND HE DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP INTO THE GAME - HE IS ALWAYS THINKING AHEAD OF THE GAME- CALCULATING AND SEEING HOW HE CAN DISCONTINUE A SUCCESSFUL PLAY/HOW HE CAN SHUT DOWN THE OTHER TEAM. USING ALL OF HIS TOOLS TO WIN THE GAME. USING EACH OF HIS PLAYERS GIFT TO WIN THE GAME. THAT WHAT MAKES HIM SUCCESSFUL BUT I STILL THINK NDH CAN BRING IT HOME BECAUSE NDH HAS A CREW THAT LOVES TO COMPETE AND THEY PRAY BEFORE THE GAMES.

-- Posted by Feewhat! on Wed, Dec 9, 2009, at 1:02 AM
  • Notre Dame and Charleston both looked good but neither defense was stellar especially at defending the perimeter. Tonight's game seemed like it was all about who was on more of a hot streak at the moment. It should be interesting to see how ND matches up with Poplar Bluff and how New Madrid does against Sikeston as neither of the top two seeds seemed to struggle too much against their first round opponents. In my opinion, New Madrid didn't seem like they did well at transitioning back onto defense and gave up a lot of perimeter shots. If you want to see some of the best basketball teams in the area not named Scott Central, the Sikeston Fieldhouse will be the place to be come Thursday and Friday.

-- Posted by s-town4292 on Wed, Dec 9, 2009, at 1:20 AM
  • I was at the game last night between Charleston and ND, Charleston shot poorly early in the game or they would have won. Both teams traded 2 ft baskets, but ND had a little better outside shooting. But it really didn't matter because Bluff will beat either team fairly easy! I hope we get Sikeston vs. Bluff on Friday! That will be a great game.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Wed, Dec 9, 2009, at 9:40 AM

Isn't there a chance for Sikeston and Bluff to play each other 3 times this year... Oh, nope we only have them coming to Sikeston later this season not us going to the PB Showdown! All I want for Christmas is a tournament! Or a new AD! What a mistake!

-- Posted by Haterade on Wed, Dec 9, 2009, at 10:02 AM
  • What's up with the ND guys and their caps lock keys?? Also, I liked what football monkey said about ND "they always do a good job of identifying and capturing local talent". And international talent too, apparently.

-- Posted by WhatsamattaU on Wed, Dec 9, 2009, at 10:11 AM
  • Hoopsididitagain,

I totally agree with you, Sikeston does need an "Athletic" Director not a football director!

-- Posted by tlks2much on Wed, Dec 9, 2009, at 1:15 PM

I agree since in my mind you don't tlks2much but people don't listen enough...Sikeston coaches, fans and MOST of all ADMINISTRATORS should be ticked about this situation!

Being an Athletic Director means to control ALL SCHOOL SPORTS If you make these mistakes then you are not doing your job! How tough can it be... Play one school at home then next year play there! I know there is a little more to it but really not that much since we seem to play almost the same schools every year just alternate home gym.

Sikeston is and has a chance to be great at multiple sports and we can't lose focus on Basketball cause Football is finally successful again. I am a HUGE football fan and love every second of what we achieved this season, but he screwed the basketball team out of playing schools that are VERY competitive and what we need to play to prepare for Districts and beyond!

To stay on topic "I think Sikeston will win the Semo Conference Tourney, then District and hopefully STATE TITLE!" I like what I see so far!

-- Posted by Haterade on Wed, Dec 9, 2009, at 2:11 PM
  • I think you need to wait till Sikeston plays some good teams before you guys start thinking state title Dexter 2 times and Park Hills is not proving how good they are

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Dec 10, 2009, at 7:29 AM
  • Bigelw, I'm from Sikeston and I'm with you on this one. Let's play some good competition first before we start talking about state titles. And again, Borgia is still out there for all of us to consider with fear and trembling.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Thu, Dec 10, 2009, at 8:16 AM
  • Fans tend to get a little overexcited early in the season after a couple of wins and start predicting big things. I guarantee the Sikeston coaches and players are aware of the level of competition so far and realize much work is needed to be done to get their team where it needs to be. Lets see where they are by Saturday after 2 more tough games in the Conference tourney. On a side note, I understand they have possibly picked up Henry County Tenn.(Paris, Tn.) later in the year to replace one of the games in the P.B. Showdown. They will try to pick up another game if they can. Henry County has a good program and their principal is Lennies McFerren. They play Charleston on Friday night, and Sikeston on Saturday. Not sure of the date, but I think sometime in January.

-- Posted by semo ref on Thu, Dec 10, 2009, at 8:55 AM
  • Fans tend to get a little overexcited early in the season after a couple of wins and start predicting big things. I guarantee the Sikeston coaches and players are aware of the level of competition so far and realize much work is needed to be done to get their team where it needs to be. Lets see where they are by Saturday after 2 more tough games in the Conference tourney. On a side note, I understand they have possibly picked up Henry County Tenn.(Paris, Tn.) later in the year to replace one of the games in the P.B. Showdown. They will try to pick up another game if they can. Henry County has a good program and their principal is Lennies McFerren. They play Charleston on Friday night, and Sikeston on Saturday. Not sure of the date, but I think sometime in January.

-- Posted by semo ref on Thu, Dec 10, 2009, at 8:59 AM
  • They play Charleston on Feb. 5th.

-- Posted by mandm96 on Thu, Dec 10, 2009, at 10:00 AM
  • Sikeston and Bluff win by 20+ each....then the match of the titans friday...Sikeston too good win by 13....dont know if anyone beats them this year!!

-- Posted by RedShirt on Thu, Dec 10, 2009, at 2:07 PM

Sikeston and Bluff should not win by 20+ and probably won't win by that much, if they win at all. these games tonight will be very good matchups not blow outs. I love how your making your year end sikeston prediction based on their games against dexter and park hills hahahahahah!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Dec 10, 2009, at 2:40 PM

hahahahahaha!!!

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Dec 10, 2009, at 2:54 PM

ha!

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Dec 10, 2009, at 3:07 PM
  • Will Sikeston ever get in the real Christmas Tournament? Or were they offered a spot, as someone said earlier?

-- Posted by kingjames on Thu, Dec 10, 2009, at 3:42 PM

Im sure if they do get in one they won't get beat by anyone! hahahaha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Dec 10, 2009, at 3:57 PM
  • Buck....ive seen all three sikeston games in person, nobody can hang with this team in class 4....they will blow out NMCC tonight, the house will be rockin...tomorrow....and another title is stayin in our house!!!

-- Posted by RedShirt on Thu, Dec 10, 2009, at 4:35 PM
  • My Predictions:

Sikeston 66 New Madrid 50

Notre Dame 71 Poplar Bluff 63

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Thu, Dec 10, 2009, at 5:07 PM
  • RedShirt, you don't get out much do you?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Dec 10, 2009, at 11:12 PM
  • Has anybody checked on MayorEagle? I hope he's doing OK.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 8:40 AM
  • "Sikeston and Bluff should not win by 20+ and probably won't win by that much, if they win at all. these games tonight will be very good matchups not blow outs."

Well.....one team won by 20+

-- Posted by mandm96 on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 9:07 AM

Sikeston has picked up another game now... Feb. 6th. is offical playing Henry Co. from Tennessee! We only need one more and if SCC could drop one of the worthless games on their schedule we could have a couple of good pick up games!

That is correct a Saturday Game BABY!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 9:19 AM

Are they playing us at home, hoops?

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 9:43 AM

I'm assuming so if they're playing Charleston in Charleston the day before.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 9:45 AM
  • Sikeston's game vs. Henry County is Sat. Feb. 6 at 2 pm.

-- Posted by semo ref on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 9:53 AM

Yes... at Sikeston! Not sure of time of game!

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 10:12 AM
  • Great Job last night on the victory bulldogs! I hope we can get the win tonight! one note: sikeston fans seemed to be very disrespectful last night i wish that could stop. Back when I went to high school we were respectful young gentlemen. I know this Isn't a big problem and can be fixed because I know sikeston can have GREAT fans if we try! Lets have a change of attitude and WIN the tournament tonight bulldogs!! GOODLUCK!

-- Posted by Greeneagles on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 11:40 AM
  • I didn't see them do anything they haven't done the past several years.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 12:10 PM
  • Last year Sikeston fans were awarded best sports fans. I think as long as it stays clean its great. What a great High School atmosphere-many colleges would kill for this type of support. Good team, good coach, good fans!

Go Bulldogs!

-- Posted by PBDC on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 12:38 PM
  • I'm not sure what constitutes "best fans." My guess would be one of the BA Sports representatives just witnessed how Sikeston fans usually attend games very well and are very loud and active in the game. I doubt it's for what the Bums do. I could be wrong though.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 1:57 PM
  • Woo Hoo..bring on PB...another blow out win for Sikeston in OUR House!!! This is our house baby...and our tournament....

-- Posted by RedShirt on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 2:00 PM
  • I was actually refering to one of sikestons fans mooning another fan. I was not brought up this way and I consider this disrespectful, and I have not witnessed this vulgar behavior in the past few years. When I attended the school in the early 70's when the field house had just been built we didn't act this way. Our adminitration would not let us act this way, they were tough and very strict on us. I don't blame anything on the fans I think it all falls into the administration's hands. I think the administration may be a little afraid of the students it seems. well this is all beside the point haha I was just expressing a concern but LETS GO BULLDOGS GET EM TONIGHT!!!

-- Posted by Greeneagles on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 2:20 PM
  • Way to predict the tournament Mr. Caps Lock. How about your predictions for the loser's bracket? GO DAWGS!!!!

-- Posted by zach7691 on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 2:44 PM
  • Are you kidding me???? Sikeston's administration is more strick than any school out there!!

What other school can you win an exciting game at home and not run out on the floor??

It started with Fidler, and has continued thru now. Let them be kids and jump around with each other, if they are so afraid someone is going to get hurt, they sure didn't do anything when they did it on the football field!!

Oh that's right, its football! They can do what they want, just ask the AD.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 2:46 PM
  • Very true S-Train. But, the admin was on the floor with them trying to get them back to their seats or moved to the exits. They just blew past the admin. like they weren't there. Which, I am not saying that is bad a thing, but it's nice for the kids to get to celebrate a big win with their team as long as it is controlled.

-- Posted by mandm96 on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 3:40 PM

tlks2much, we need to sit together at the game tonight. We have alot of the same feelings towards well almost everything! Do you like to take walks on the beach... OK maybe not the place for that!!!Look for me at the game tonight, I will be the guy in Red!!!!!!!!

LOL

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 3:48 PM
  • HOOPSIDIDITAGAIN,

You so crazy! I will for sure look for you and I will be in Black. Go Dawgs!

-- Posted by tlks2much on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 4:10 PM
  • Well the Bums/student sections rushed the court again. What are you gonna do about it? lol

Let kids have their fun. Oh yah, UNDEFEATED BABY

-- Posted by kingjames on Fri, Dec 11, 2009, at 10:45 PM
  • Sikeston, Poplar Bluff and Notre Dame coaches did a great job coaching. When you look at the scores the game could have went anyway. I believe that Sikeston steals went down against Poplar Bluff. Coach Frazier did an awesome job. Some of the steals should be called reaching (foul). It would have been nice to see Sikeston in the Christmas tournament.

-- Posted by Feewhat! on Sun, Dec 13, 2009, at 12:22 AM
  • FEEWHAT,

I like your comment about Sikeston's steals. I am a Sikeston fan and I am concerned that if they find themselves in an important game and draw an officiating crew that calls it "tight", that they may find themselves in foul trouble. It seems that in SEMO, most of the refs understand that most teams run pressure type defenses and they allow most of the reach-in type stuff to go un-called. But, I do remember the championship game SCC played in a couple of years ago and they had a crew call the game very tight. SCC was called for stuff that hadn't been called all year. IMO, it cost them the game.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Sun, Dec 13, 2009, at 12:39 AM
  • Have heard for sometime that we have had St.Louis schools wanting to come to Sikeston on Saturday and play, but our AD won't schudule them because he don't work on Sat.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sun, Dec 13, 2009, at 9:49 AM
  • lastride67,

Remember the old saying, "Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear." I think it serves a person well. If you have "heard" things, please let us know your sources. Otherwise, it's nothing other than idle gossip. I know this is a message board and not a source of journalistic integrity, but if you are going to write something about someone, you should at least back up your comment with some sound evidence.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Sun, Dec 13, 2009, at 9:58 AM
  • Everything on here is mostly rumor. When we see some games for Sat.or more games with northern schools, then we will know that not working on Sat is not true.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sun, Dec 13, 2009, at 10:31 AM
  • Many sporting events occur on Saturday. Every year, the track team travels to Marion, Cape and Jackson for Saturday meets. The baseball and softball teams usually have a weekend tournament during the season and the soccer team usually travels north for at least one Saturday game a year. And, if I recall correctly, the baseball team has frequently had a home and home series with a St. Louis area baseball team played on a Saturday.

I don't think ANYBODY wants to play on Saturday if it can be avoided. It is disruptive to the lives of the students, athletes and their families. I hope the AD goes out of his way to avoid scheduling athletic events on weekends in an effort to maintain some normalcy in the families of our community.

And yes, lastride67, most of the items posted on here are rumor or unfounded individual opinion, but the posts rarely attack an individual. That is the reason I felt compelled to respond.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Sun, Dec 13, 2009, at 11:11 AM

We did pick up a Saturday game with a team from Paris, TN on February 6th.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sun, Dec 13, 2009, at 11:52 AM
  • Curious how that pickup helps the team though. I think the big concern was Sikeston having such a long break during Christmas and early January.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Dec 13, 2009, at 12:47 PM
  • Apologize for attacking anyone but Sikeston needs to beef up there schedule both in football and basketball even if it means playing on Sat afternoon or night in what ever sport. Playing teams just because we have played them for a hundred years is not going to get what everyone is looking for and that is state titles. We have the coaches, have talent, go for it in what ever it takes.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sun, Dec 13, 2009, at 2:29 PM
  • What is wrong with playing Henry County, TN? You ask how does it help the team. You want to play as many games as possible in an effort to be ready for the district, particularly strong competition, which Henry County is. Every team wants a full schedule and that is what Sikeston is trying to do after this screwup.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Dec 13, 2009, at 8:19 PM
  • Sikeston picking up Henry County, Tenn. was a good one. They are perenially tough and athletic and are coached by former very successful Troy, Kelly, and Parma coach Mitch Wilkins. Sikeston's chance of getting another fill in game will be tough as late as it is in the season.

-- Posted by semo ref on Mon, Dec 14, 2009, at 8:51 AM
  • Wow!! Did you see all the kids rush the floor Friday night after Sikeston won the championship?

We actually had school spirit.Good job bums!!

-- Posted by tlks2much on Mon, Dec 14, 2009, at 10:03 AM
  • hahahahahaha! hi-larious!

-- Posted by Greeneagles on Mon, Dec 14, 2009, at 10:26 AM
  • Yeah, but the issue was having such a large gap between games in December-January. Sure it's good to play tough teams, but that pickup does nothing to address a nearly 3 week gap in the season.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Dec 14, 2009, at 11:04 AM
  • It probably is too late for Sikeston to pick up a game in early January. You have to find a team with an open date, schedule offcials and game personnel and get everything matched up. Unfortunately at this late of a date, it doesn't look promising. Also if you played during the week, travel time there and back on a school night would be a consideration.

-- Posted by semo ref on Mon, Dec 14, 2009, at 12:22 PM
  • I was there Sikeston train was you. Football and basketball are you money sports that finance or help with the other sports. Don't look for people to be standing in line for any sport other than your money sports. You show me how many people will drive half way accross the state on a Friday night for football but will on Sat. Were you at Jeff City.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Mon, Dec 14, 2009, at 12:46 PM
  • IN your previous comment you say who pays for travel, Does P.Bluff,Jackson and Cape Central not have to pay for there travel, why not us. Sounds like your the one that needs to ask someone how to do things.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Mon, Dec 14, 2009, at 4:44 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: