Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Never too early to talk about next year...

Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 11:01 AM:

Anybody else ready for next season yet lol? Any thoughts on what to expect next season in SEMO basketball? What do the top teams lose/return? Any newcomers you expect to make waves? Players to watch out for?

Here's a little something I posted about Class 4 in another thread: "The district is still Sikeston's to win until somebody else knocks them off. Notre Dame is very young, and I think they have some very good upside...but they have to prove it first, I'm not betting anything on potential. I'm not sold on Cape, regardless of their talent...they just never seem to put it all together at the right time. Not sure about Kennett...they didn't impress me too much against Sikeston in districts, and I know they lose Primer, but don't they have a player or two who was not able to play this year?

That's not to say these teams are pushovers...I just think it's Sikeston's to lose until someone proves otherwise. With that being said, Sikeston will have their work cut out for them too. I believe they lose three starters, as well as one or two solid bench players. JT Jones will be back, along with Jarius Ray...the Scott kid had some big moments in Columbia, and I have to believe we'll hear a lot more from him next year. However, you never know how a different dynamic with a mostly different team will pan out. Someone will have to step up as the floor leader, because outside of Vashawn they didn't seem to have one. I'll be interested to see how their outside shooting is. They lose a lot of 3's from Ruffin and Bratcher, but I'm told they have underclassmen who should slide in to a shooting role with ease."

Replies (48)

Class 4 will be a lot of fun to watch and keep up with in SEMO next year. I'm really excited about what Sikeston has coming back.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 11:10 AM
  • This is my total guess on the starters next year,like I said I'm guessing because anything can happen between now and then for Sikeston. JT, Porter,Zach,J-Ray and Scott. I think that is a good crew.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 11:42 AM

I'm really excited for next year's team as well. I feel much more confident about the team after seeing Chris Scott perform that well against quality opponents despite his limited role this season. As long as his defense improves he will be an excellent offensive addition. Also Jairus Ray has improved leaps and bounds this year. Most improved player on the court this year for Sikeston in my opinion. The key is what does Sikeston have in some of the injured guys and young guns that are coming back or coming up. Blisset is a player that comes to mind as potential big time contributor and there is a bevy of raw athletic kids who could grow this summer and fall and back an impact. Depends really on the offseason how far Sikeston can push it next year.

Also I think at least starting out next year I would like to see the lineup TFA proposed. I think that most people would want Ray to handle the ball in this lineup since he did it in JV but I think I would have JT run the point and Scott at the 2 and Zach at the 3. I think makes more sense that way seeing JT's evolution this year and watching him handle the ball against bigger squads.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 12:54 PM
  • Corbyn Blissett..the injured sophomore will run the point next year. However, the 5 listed will be interchangeable along with Marquese Parks. We also have some freshmen that will be sophomores that will figure GREATLY into the mix. If I were the other teams in the area, I would overlook them. They aren't going to be any good.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 1:14 PM
  • Class 4 disrict 1 should be very exciting next year. Sikeston looks like they should be reloading not rebuilding next season. And with Cape, ND and Kennett looking like they'll be a lot improved, next seasons disrict tournament should be one of the best in the state.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 2:00 PM

I'm interested in ND the most because I want to see if they can integrate the JV Sophs with those Varsity Sophs and see what happens. X factor is Poythress though. That team goes as he goes because in my opinion he takes to many shots.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 2:04 PM
  • Sikeston people, is this Blissett kid related to all the Blissetts at SCC? Kinda like the Porter family was split between SCC/Sikeston?

-- Posted by semo501 on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 2:33 PM
  • If their name is Blissett they are related. They had a huge family just some moved out of "Blissetville" like I used to call it and moved here. I don't know which ones is his parents tho but I'm sure I know them.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 2:39 PM
  • Straight from the Morley suburbs.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 2:43 PM
  • Haha I gotcha TFA. Agreed Bunk, Williamson will have to become a leader running the point and Poythress will have to become an overall player instead of a spot up shooter for ND to be very successful

-- Posted by semo501 on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 2:44 PM
  • The Blissett kid has gone to school here his whole life. His dad is a Sikeston grad. I'm sure they are related to the Blissets in Morley.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 3:11 PM
  • Yep some moved out of that area a long time ago I graduated in 79 so the ones in that era is the ones I know and some of them live here now. They have kids in high school here.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 3:22 PM
  • And like I said the family is HUGE!!

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 3:28 PM
  • Well should be fun to see if they can lead their respective programs this year and in the future. In Class 3 will NMCC be a contender after losing several seniors or will CHS continue their dominance? Don't know if Willie will have any help around him

-- Posted by semo501 on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 3:45 PM

I think I know who his dad is.I'm not sure though but if it is who I think he is than he has got a good base of basketball knowledge to draw from.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 3:46 PM
  • I don't know a lot about NMCC, but I expect them to be down a good bit. Jimerson will be enough to beat the average teams, but I have a hard time believing they'll compete with SEMO Conference opponents or Charleston in districts. Ya never know though.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 3:49 PM

I'm sorta of interested to see which way Kennett goes this off season and into next year. Obviously they have the big piece in Kevonte Mitchell but they are losing Primer so this team could go either way.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 3:51 PM
  • Don't they get somebody back this year who was either injured or academically ineligible? Or am I thinking of Caruthersville? Or, as my wife says, do I not know what the hell I'm talking about?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 3:53 PM
  • You are correct, Farm. I think they get a guard back named Drake (or something along those lines). I think he was academically ineligible.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 3:59 PM

I think NMCC will be better next year! They don't lose as much as you think. This sophomore class has 11 kids in it, it will be a varsity of juniors who have played and gelled together way more than this years group did. No one expected to compete in SEMO Conference this year, and boy they did. Everyone just keep over looking them haha. In several games last year, 3 of their starters were 10th graders.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 5:07 PM
  • Yes Rocket and Farm. Kennett returns solid PG Antavies Drake who was academically ineligible. But Caruthersville also return Darrell Monroe who was also academically ineligible

-- Posted by semo501 on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 5:20 PM
  • What about smaller schools? Who do you think will have good seasons next year?

-- Posted by Cottontop on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 7:33 PM
  • If Oran could find a 6'6" transfer or two they would be pretty salty again.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 9:19 PM
  • Sikeston players improve so much from year to year. Next year could be another great year.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 9:38 PM
  • There have probably been more Blissetts at Sikeston than that went to school in SCC. Okay, probably not, but there's been a bunch lol. But very few played basketball. Mark Blissett was Sikeston's all-time leading rusher in football for a few years until it was broken by Robinson. He also played basketball. There were a few others but there haven't been many.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Mar 17, 2013, at 9:51 PM
  • Bernie will be good and more balanced.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 9:02 AM
  • Jackson will be one of the best in the region along with NMCC.. IMO

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 9:41 AM

As far as Class 4 teams in StL to be concerned about down the road, Normandy loses McLemore and one of its 4 bigs but returns the rest of its core. Jennings, which is in Normandy's conference, loses one of its leading scorers, but returns most of a tough squad that started putting it together late. Beat Normandy and ended up in a 3-way tie with them and Ladue for the Suburban East title.

Duchesne, which lost to Mexico in OT in the sectional, returns everyone. They will be a serious threat.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 9:45 AM

Jackson will be good but still struggle with ND, Sikeston, Charleston, and NMCC because of style of play. Not saying they will be beat by them, but will struggle because they aren't built to run like that.

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 10:45 AM
  • Do not count out the Kennett Indians as they were young a lot of times during the season the team would have a SR. or two (Primer will definitely be missed), 2- JRs (until Drake was ineligible)which they missed him in the 2nd half of the season, a soph., & a freshman, with another freshmen coming off the bench. Also has a 6'2" freshman who lead there JV in scoring and rebounding. Kevontae Mitchell is the best player in Southeast Missouri gave Sikeston 31 in the regular season and 35 in the district - semi-finals in whiched the Bulldogs doubled him that game.) Sikeston is still the team to beat in 4A Greg has a great team and that JV squad will help him next year on the varsity. Jackson, NMCC, Charleston,Cape C, Notre Dame, SCC, Bernie, P,Ville, & (Note: Bluff is on their way back could be dangerous in 2013 -2014) several others teams will do what has always been done in the bootheel produce some talent, beat each other up, and multiple teams will make run to the state finals. Southeast Missouri has been doing this since they started having state play-offs.

-- Posted by tlavan06 on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 11:44 AM
  • Who wouldn't be good with a couple 6'6 transfers

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 11:44 AM
  • I expect Scott County Central to be back next season. They only lose one starter in Jaylen Porter and a key sub off the bench in Tyler Masters. The Braves really started to get it together late in the season. Their young team has been battle-tested this season and will likely be back in Columbia next season.

One team that might have something to say about that is Risco. In addition to returning their best player in Chris Pavy along with Brandon Bixler, word has it that a family has moved to Risco from Mississippi that has two sons both around 6'5". If they have game, watch out for the Tigers next season!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 12:34 PM
  • Jordon Pavy, Preach. Chris graduated in 2011.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 12:50 PM
  • You're right smo723. Got my Pavy's mixed-up! Thanks for the correction.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 12:58 PM
  • Since it's never to early. What would be the top 5 teams for next season? I've seen most of the teams that everyone is talking about except for Risco. I've tried to make a list but it seems that most teams have the same problem, they graduate some good players but also have some returning. It looks like a lot of JV players will be playing varsity next year.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 1:26 PM
  • Bernie will be really good only losing 3 players and got some good kids coming up off a jv team that was 20-3 or 22-3

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 2:36 PM
  • Jackson will be very good. Notre Dame should be good, along with NMCC. I think Charleston will take a little step back but still very good and Sikeston won't be quite as good either, but still one of the best teams in the area. Kennett has a solid core returning and like others have said, Kevonte Mitchell will alone make them really good. He's the best in SEMO next year IMO. He was leading scorer in Class 4 in the state this year. Cape Central returns some good players as well. Smaller schools...I see Bernie being the team to beat in that district again. P'ville will be down and while Hayti will be solid on front line, not sure who their guards are going to be. South Pem returns a pretty solid team as well and could challenge Bernie in that district. Another fun year, can't wait!

-- Posted by bball79 on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 3:59 PM

I think I'm one of the few that Sikeston gets better with a more consistent shooting 2 guard on the floor next year. I think it opens it up for the rest of the dawgs really well.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 4:06 PM
  • Sikeston will still be the cream of the crop. JT, Reece, and Jarius Ray will be returning with plenty of playoff experience. Zach Jackson who is a natural athlete along with Chris "Big Shot" Scott should round out the starting five. Corbyn Blissett will also see plenty of playing time. As to the argument of who was the best player in the Semo Conference this year, everybody knows that award goes to JT Jones, who will be unstoppable next season!

-- Posted by Highriser on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 4:16 PM
  • Too Early...

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 6:47 PM
  • Willie Jimerson, anybody???

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 6:57 PM

Me 🙋! He beat Jones and Mitchell (with the Flu).

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 7:04 PM
  • Farmboy06,

Only way Your Notre Dame beats Sikeston is by ramped up recruiting efforts in Sikeston.

Tuition grants would help.

Goodluck

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 11:56 PM
  • However,

This probably means your kid turns into the Water Boy.....

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 11:58 PM
  • Sounds like Butthurt in Scott City...

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Tue, Mar 19, 2013, at 12:10 AM
  • *scratches head* What in the hell are you talking about UFO. Is that really the best you can come up with? If you're going to whine like some little kid, at least be creative about it.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Mar 19, 2013, at 3:10 AM
  • Isn't Scott City's "big game" against Chaffee anyway? Lol

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Mar 19, 2013, at 3:11 AM
  • Again I haven't seen the Jimmerson kid. I saw the young man put up some numbers, but Mitchell is still the best player is Southeast Missouri. He may not have had the best team overall, but no one could guard him this year. He avg 33 pts in two games against Sikeston, gave Caruthersville 41 pts (25 in the 4th quarter)after the his team was down.

I know there are a lot of talented players in the Boot, but individually he is the best and he still hasn't played his best basketball and he is also one of the top baseball players in Southeat Missouri he is already getting D1 offers in both sports

-- Posted by tlavan06 on Tue, Mar 19, 2013, at 9:12 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: