Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Jackson vs Desmet does anyone buy Jackson having a chance

Posted by objective fan on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 4:44 PM:

Many are saying Desmet is a lock for the finals. I for one beg to differ thats why they play the game!

Replies (39)

• Well of course they have a chance! They just beat Chaminade, who was ranked #9 in the state by maxpreps. DeSmet will be the favorite, but Jackson has a real chance to win the game.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 4:55 PM
  • Borgia was a huge underdog but beat hillcrest with definitely less talent than hillcrest. I would have given jax a 30% chance of beating chaminade. It took a zillion not-even-close missed ft by cham to open the door to a jax win. The thing is these are KIDS and thus u never know how theyll handle pressure. I give jax a 20% chance of beating desmet but hey, its better than zero!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 5:02 PM
  • I don't follow Class 5 basketball enough to know. How doesDeSmet compare to Chaminade?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 5:35 PM
  • Of course they have a chance and they will win.

-- Posted by eric birk on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 5:37 PM
  • They actually lost twice to chaminade but they apparently didnt have their D-I stud for either game. Probly playing the best ball of any of the class fivers left but it means nothing once the ref tosses the ball skyward.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 5:43 PM
  • Norfolk st hadda bouta 5% chance of beating always tournament tough mazoo last year, geez

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 5:45 PM
  • to take a quote from football, on any given Sunday anything can happen

-- Posted by GermX on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 5:54 PM
  • A certain person from stl whom i wont name (scotty!) predicted oakville would beat jax. Then he said that chaminade would, and i quote, "kill" jax. Now its predicted that desmet will trash jax! Unfortunately cuz all he picks are heavy favorites he's gonna be right eventually, but hey, all of us are unintelligent down here so what do we know haha!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 6:06 PM
  • I think Barton their point guard is a real key in this game.

-- Posted by objective fan on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 6:24 PM

Dustin not seeing teams has never stopped you before from predicting, and seriously what do you know?!

Jackson has a chance because the STL teams play the same style as Jackson, slow and under control. The teams that have beat Jackson are uptempo, and that gives them fits. I think the guy goin to Butler will be too much for them. Saw him play this summer, great player and if JT Jones and Notre Dame could score inside he should too. But I can see Karson pulling out another one!! Hope so at least!

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 6:50 PM
  • Mark my word this game will be a double digit loss for Jackson, ok Im done goin to grab a beer.

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 7:11 PM
  • I thought even in the loss to CBC and the win over Chaminade Jackson showed the ability to play with Desmet. I do think they need to get off to a good start and just settle into the game. If they do that its anyones game.

-- Posted by objective fan on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 7:12 PM

De Smet will push the ball when it gets the chance. I saw them beat a very good Rock Bridge team down the court several times. Berry runs the floor well. Jimmy Barton can get a little too cute at times, but he's as good as any PG in the StL area. As far as raw talent, he's not in Tatum's class, but as far as traditional PG skills, he's ahead of him now. He's fielding D2 offers.

I think you have to pressure him. CBC tried to sit back in a zone agaisnst him in the last regular season game two weeks ago, and De Smet ran away and hid. You've got to keep him from getting the ball to Berry.

And you want to push Berry out of the paint. He can operate outside, but I'd take my chances there. I'd try to get physical with him, too. He occasionally gets into foul trouble, and the more physical it gets the better your chances of getting him out of there.

He's very tough, though. Can get a lot done even when guarded closely. Is more athletic than he looks.

I'm curious about how Barton will defend Daume, assuming that is the match-up. Barton is listed at 5'10," and I'd say that's generous. Is pretty quick, but defense is not the strongest aspect of his game.

Unlike Chaminade, De Smet is a veteran club. 7 of it first 8 are seniors, and the other one is a junior. My sense is that they are playing with a sense of urgency.

Jackson has a shot, but they will have to do a lot right to win.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 7:39 PM
  • Didnt Rockhurst beat Desmet at Scotttrade this year when they were at full strength?

-- Posted by objective fan on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 7:49 PM
  • Objective fan are you the only poster from Jackson that has confidence in the Indians? Wow, this forum should be full of Jackson Indian supporters. I'll root for you guys to pull off another upset! This is the kind of talk that your players need to read and hear. You guys have enough height to play with anyone in the state. I say, "Go out there with confidence, play hard, and leave everything you got on the floor!" Comeon Jackson fans. Show your boys some love! Go Indians!!!

-- Posted by Highriser on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 8:02 PM

Yes, they did--by 9 points.

Berry was still rounding into form, but he had 25 points. I assume he played well.

I didn't see the game but was told by a member of the De Smet staff that Rockhurst just beat them that night.

Then two weeks later, De Smet beat Rock Bridge by 9. A few days afet that, Rockhurst played Rock Bridge. Appeared to be the favorite looking at the two teams' scores vs. De Smet.

But Rock Bridge beat them by about 30.

It's a topsy turvy season in Class 5.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 8:04 PM
  • I dont like to make silly homer comments but i really do believe that on any given day anyone can beat anybody. Ilove to go Columbia every year for the final four and can tell you that Ive seen many surpises through the years all you have to do is get on a roll foul trouble injuries they all figure in. I will say this Jackson became a much better team when Daume came back from his leg injury he was the one thing they needed a point guard.

-- Posted by objective fan on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 8:33 PM

And I've seen Jackson just once. That's not enough to get a really good read on a team.

I certainly agree on Daume. He was tough against Chaminade. It's not out of the question that he could give Barton some problems on both ends.

If he gets the ball inside regularly, Berry might pick up some fouls.

I'm looking forward to it.

Jackson fans, get there pretty early. Lindenwood is much smaller than UMSL, where they've held the quarterfinals for at least the last 20 years. I think it will be packed.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 8:41 PM
  • I pick Jackson. I think STL teams are sometimes intimidated by the physical bball being played in the SEMO area.

-- Posted by deal on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 8:43 PM
  • I'm picking Desmet by double digits, but I'm sure pulling for Jackson. Lately our Class 5 teams have squeaked by in districts, then lost in sectionals. I was very excited to see Jackson make it this far. I hope they can surprise me yet again.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 8:45 PM
  • Highriser. objective fan is far from the only one who believes that Jackson has a chance in this game. Sorry I have'nt been on here today until now but I will say it is nice that Jackson is getting support from those who root for others during the regular season.

I have to say good luck to Sikeston, I would love to see two teams from SEMO in Columbia next weekend. I wish it was 5.

Also, to unclegrubworm. When I was watching the Chaminade game I felt like I was still reading your analysis of them. What great info. Thank You.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 8:50 PM
  • ciri. Thank you to you in particular, you have been supportive of Jackson all year.

Do you have ties?

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 8:55 PM
  • Could someone please post a link to the Jackson/Chaminade replay? I thought I'd come across it before, but no luck finding it again...

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 9:12 PM
  • Kobeyashi

In fairness I never dreamed a semoball.com school would make it to the Class 5 quarterfinals this season so I didn't bother spending much time researching Class 5 teams in other regions of Missouri.

Great story developing in Jackson. Great program and great town in Jackson.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 9:14 PM
  • Dustin, you should not feel bad. There are only 2 class 5 schools in the area.

DukePhan, I don't know how to post a link but you can find it on foxsportsmidwest.com and click on the prepzone tab.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 9:19 PM

Of course Jackson's got a chance. It may not be very big but they still have one. Jackson has 3 really good players who can keep them in the games but the other guys need to step it up. If Daume can keep up his inspired play since his return it will make things that much easier.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 9:26 PM
  • Sikeston-Jackson may have been a heck of a game with Daume playing. It wasn't bad without him.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 9:31 PM

Thanks, dadscatfood. But one thing we can pretty much count on is that there will be something in this game that will not play out according to form. The question is whether the unexpected development(s) will change the outcome that most foresee.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 10:47 PM
  • Unclegrubworm. So true this time of year. Just hoping those unexpected things continue to go Jackson's way tomorrow as they seem to have been recently. P4P

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 10:57 PM
  • Hey Duke try this for the replay:

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/pages/prepzone_stream?s=90554

Dadscat im a sikeston fan but support any semo team that remains in the playoffs, im a huge fan of highschool sports. Jackson really caught my eye when they played down here. I thought they had unlimited potential and they are living up to that potential as we speak!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 11:11 PM
  • Much obliged, cirithungol17. Another die hard Sikeston fan here that will be rooting like crazy for Jackson tomorrow. GO INDIANS, show Class 5 what you can do!

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 11:25 PM
  • I watched the fourth quarter, wow what an ending!! Go dawgs, indians, and ladycats!!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 11:36 PM
  • Sorry, Did not mean to leave out the Lady Bearcats from my earlier post. Rooting like crazy for Dexter, Sikeston and Jackson. Go Red and Black. That's kinda interesting, Just thought of that.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Fri, Mar 8, 2013, at 11:45 PM
  • Is this game being streamed online?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Mar 9, 2013, at 7:36 AM
  • Is this game being played at the Robert F. Hyland Arena at Lindenwood? Going to try to make a day of basketball. Jackson at 1:00 and my Bulldogs and the Lady Bearcats at 6:00.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sat, Mar 9, 2013, at 8:11 AM
  • Its at lindenwood so i would assume its at the main arena.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Mar 9, 2013, at 9:12 AM
  • After watching Jackson play twice at Oakville I was surprised they didn't have a better record. They must have a big problem when the oppossing team puts pressure on their guards.

-- Posted by jayrod on Sat, Mar 9, 2013, at 9:30 AM
  • Some of those games before Daume came back from his leg injury. I really think Sikestons pressure D would give anyone trouble in any class.They are very hard to prepare for because you just cant simulate their speed in your preparation. Like I said before Jackson needs to settle and just play.Dont get rattled by the moment,their are going to be runs by both teams.

-- Posted by objective fan on Sat, Mar 9, 2013, at 9:39 AM
  • Daume has been a huge boost for the indians no doubt!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Mar 9, 2013, at 9:44 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: