Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Bunk's SHS vs CHS match up analysis: 3 SF

Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jan 29, 2013, at 12:14 PM:

Since there the Sikeston- Charleston rematch will be upon on us shortly I have decided to take a closer look at the individual players for each team and try and attempt to identify their skill set and how those skill sets will match up against one another. I will be using a light blend of statistical analysis, my own opinion from watching each team play several times, and the results of these two teams previous encounter in my decision about which wins the match up. For full disclosure purposes I am a Sikeston graduate and a Sikeston fan but I have followed the Charleston boys closely for years as the program has regained it's former glory, which has made me a fan of the Jays as well. These posts are as unbiased as possible and are not meant to unfairly critique anyone but merely reveal the strategic differences in each player's game. Sikeston stats were provided through fellow semoball contributors and checked by Standard Democrat articles on the games. Charleston stats were provided by Maxpreps( although Maxpreps has CHS record of 18-2 correct they only have 16 game stats instead of 21 so averages are determined based on this amount of game stats reported). I totally forgot I had a night class last night so today is a two for one special on the match ups

Next up: Trey Watkins vs Marketh Bratcher

This is the match up of the small forwards for each squad and to be honest this match up went from the most tight match up until the SHS vs MRH game three weeks ago. Lets go to the stats

Trey Watkins

PPG: 4.9 FG%: 34% 3PT%: 23% RPG: 4.6 APG: 3.9 TO per game: 2.1 SPG: 1.5 FT%: 64%

Marketh Bratcher

PPG: 10.2 FG%: 51% 3PT%: 28% RPG: 3.2 APG: 1.6 TO per game: 1.4 SPG: 1.7 FT%: 77.8%

This like I said was a literal toss up before the last five or six games for SHS. But before we get to that lets look Watkins' stats. We can see that he doesn't necessarily excel at one thing but it is pretty good at pretty much everything on the offense end of the court. Trey is the perfect example for a glue player. When I say that I mean that he may be a better scorer, rebounder, or passer than his stats reveal because he doesn't focus on just one area. I have only seen CHS play over a handful of times but I imagine that Trey is the most reactive player on the court. If his team needs him to score he can or rebound etc. depending on the what the other team's match up requires of him.

Bratcher on the other hand is needed to score more for his team and he does that very well. Bratcher is one four starting Bulldogs who averages double figures and he may be the versatile in the way he scores. Bracther shoots the ball as his percentages suggest but he also can drive to the basket and finish. It's hard to decide which player is more valuable on offense but Bratcher's scoring outweighs the Watkins' balance.

The match up becomes more clear on the defensive end of the floor. Watkins by all accounts seems to be a good man to man defender even though he may not draw the other team's toughest offensive match up. He is a quality defender and possibly their best considering the job he does against the person he is assigned to. Bratcher on the other hand has been inconsistent on the defensive end at times this year. Instead of playing back in Hollifield's 2-3 zone he plays up on the guard. I believe the Sikeston Coach does this for two reasons. 1) This gives Bratcher a smaller zone to patrol since he plays next to the defensive wizard Cord Sheehy 2) This is also an interesting way to utilize Bratcher's length on smaller guards. The second reason is especially interesting because Marketh is also exceptionally fast enough to handle the increased speed for the most part. Brathcer's defensive issues come from a decision making standpoint. Bratcher at times overplays for the steal or when someone does get by him he has small tendency to get sucked in which is a big no no when your team plays zone. So the defensive side of the ball goes to Watkins.

Tough call about which player to pick here if we are judging just from the stats or what we see on defense. However, we have to consider the rising level of a player's game in this situation. Marketh Bratcher maybe the most improved player in the SEMO conference this year. He has steadily improved his defensive discipline as the season has progressed. Even more important is the leap from a guy who scores 7-9 points a game to a guy who can absolutely take over a game. Since the MRH game Bratcher has scored 14 or more points in each game except one. This improvement in his overall game makes the pick clearly........

Marketh Bratcher

Replies (5)

• Markeith of course

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Jan 29, 2013, at 1:36 PM

When are you going to do the 4PF spot

-- Posted by BLUEjayMANdude on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 2:36 PM

Yes I'm going to get it done tonight and put it up and then do the 5 spot Thursday morning. I was going to do bench but due to lack of time I won't be able to.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 3:09 PM
  • What a total waste of time!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 10:50 PM

Why thanks semo7178 do you have an opinion of your own or do you just trash other peoples? Please expand on the bountiful knowledgable thoughts you expressed in that six word posts. I would make more jokes about the ignorance of posts but there is so little there that I'm not sure what about my reasoned logic based post about a relevant topic to this forum was such a waste of your precious time.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 10:57 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: