Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: California Open Division

Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 2:43 PM:

I recently heard about how this year California has put in an open division for high school basketball. This is essentially adding a 6th class to the 5 that they already had. This new 6th class would have no enrollement requirements. The top teams in the state, regarless of division, class, or enrollement would be selected to play in this 6th class. So for example, you would see teams like Madison Prep playing sikeston for a state championship, or charleston playing SCC. At first I was a bit hesitant about this idea, because if some small school was having a once in a lifetime out of this world season, they surely wouldn't want to move to this new division to have to play the best class 5 schools. But, after more research I learned that their are several criteria you have to meet to be able to play in this divison, such as being good over the span of several years. this also allows schools to play more of a national schedule, and not be bound by conferance or divison rules. They also suggested that this would help level off the public-private problem some, and set up more of an equal playing field. I think this would make for some really exciting basketball, and great matchups! Sounds like a very interesting idea to me. What does everyone think of it!?

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: