Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Semo Christmas tournament

Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:03 AM:

I'm here at the show me center and this is embarrasing for these kids, blow this tournament up, my lord, get these smaller schools that only have 5 players in a tournament that they dont get beat by 83 points, that does no one any good.

Replies (139)

Is is legal to play your jv squads in this tourney? I am glad that no one got hurt but I wish that my high school alma mater would have played our jv in the game against Delta.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:06 AM
  • Straight out it was a joke i actually felt bad for these kids from Delta, they couldve got beat by 150 imo.

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:13 AM
  • It's sad is what it is.. Teams like Delta have no reason playing in that tourney. Get some better teams in there.

-- Posted by Semofan25 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:13 AM
  • The SEMO Christmas Tournament is special because every school within 20 miles of Cape plays in it.

We all know the first round is not fair. It never has been. However, nearly every small school playing in the tournament has made some serious noise through the years. It's like the Hoosiers movie. The fans light up like a candle when a small school pushes or beats a larger school. Southeast Missouri fans live for it.

For future reference, the 1st day usually does not get competitive until the evening.

You are, apparently, the only one that doesn't know all this.

Goodluck

-- Posted by UFO on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:14 AM

How is the rest of the tourney going, please? I am out of the area. Thanks.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:16 AM
  • Saxony Lutheran doesn't play in the Southeast Missourian Christmas Tournament. It's within 20 miles of Cape. It plays in the Bloomfield Christmas Tournament.

-- Posted by gianthook on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:18 AM
  • JV players can play on the varsity roster. There are only so many tournaments a player may participate in during the season, whether it's varsity or JV.

-- Posted by gianthook on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:20 AM
  • Ufo your response is way off about the 20 mile thing, isnt even close. Charleston is twice that far, as are alot of other schools.

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:22 AM
  • Straight out Cape is up 80-22

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:24 AM

Thanks, guys. Who is Cape playing?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:25 AM

Who does Leopold play today? I am very interested in seeing them play.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:26 AM

stlscott, you may call me "Chuck" for short.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:28 AM

Has anyone seen Maplewood-Richmond Heights or that other STL. school ranked #1 in Class 3 play this season?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:29 AM
  • Chuck they played Meadow Height 82-22 final.Leopold plays Oak ridge

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:30 AM
  • Ive seen both of them play bothh are very good teams, the #1 team is Madison prep they are real tough, it's basicaly Imagine prep from last year.

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:31 AM
  • MRH plays at 5:30 tonight at Poplar Bluff

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:35 AM

Thanks. Oak Ridge vs. Leopold is a good matchup from what I have been reading online. I think that one of them may defeat SCC during the playoffs in March?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:36 AM
  • Oak ridge already beat them this year.

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:38 AM

I understand. I think that the teams playing now will be different teams in March-they will be more cohesive, understand their coaches plans, better chemistry, etc.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:49 AM
  • I get so tired of hearing about the small schools not being in the tourny. if you dont like it go to another tourny. charlston is going to beat most teams by at least 30 or 40. Im telling u the small schools bring in thew crowds and excitment.

-- Posted by hawk85 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:57 AM
  • Why is todd and chase simmons doing the radio for nd and bc game, announcers should be impartial

this is hard to listen to. its all about how great nd is.

-- Posted by hawk85 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 12:00 PM
  • They think thier broadcasting for nd home game.

-- Posted by hawk85 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 12:02 PM
  • Well hawk considering the score I would venture to say that ND is really all they can talk about at this point.

-- Posted by Showstopper on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 12:20 PM
  • 62-4 ok Ive had enough, goin to watch some different basketball than this they shouldnt charge people to get in to this they should pay them.

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 12:21 PM
  • I went the 1st day last year so I knew not to go the 1st this year. I'll wait and go Sunday

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 12:38 PM
  • I understand the whole small schools like to come to smc, but it comes to the point that the tournament director needs to put something better together than this, I honestly havent seen teams like this ever, I actually feel bad for them.

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 12:43 PM

Chuck....you can go to the SEMOBall homepage and click on the box to see the play-by-play for every game

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:08 PM

It's the "Cover It Live" box

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:09 PM
  • i don't know what'd you expect from the benacke and simmons. benacke is and has been the voice of the bulldogs for years. he goes overboard sometimes but you should never expect him to be impartial. and simmons is an nd student. obviously they have a dog in the fight

-- Posted by V,B on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:25 PM
  • True but u would think they would let eric or someone else broadcast that game if they can't be impartial, this broadcast is supposed to be for all fans not nd. need to be profesional.

-- Posted by hawk85 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:29 PM
  • One way some tournaments have avoided the 1st round mis-matches to the degree of the SEMO tourney, is to have two divisions. After champions have been crowned for each division on the next-to-last night, those two teams then play the next night for the "out-right" championship.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:39 PM
  • hawk, Having broadcasted the tournament back in 2010, largely with Bonacki I can tell you that they get different announcers for different games, but the schedule isn't perfectly set because of the holiday season so if there's a lack of availability of other announcers like Eric, Kelly Campbell, and Keevin Phillips means you usually get the default team of Bonacki and usually whoever does the ND games with him.

-- Posted by Showstopper on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:40 PM

Being stuck with Bonacki stinks for the listeners.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:42 PM
  • Thats the way to do it semo7178 would be better for everyone.

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:51 PM
  • stlscott,

Your missing the whole point. The same teams from Southeast Missouri have been playing this tournament for decades.

The Tournament director's goal is not to neccessarily have the best teams on this side of the State. His goal is to run the finest tournamet he can with the teams that have always played in the tournament.

BTW. It's cold out side, do not forget to wear a coat.

-- Posted by UFO on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:54 PM
  • Done with you Ufo go watch the sci-fi channel.

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 2:22 PM
  • If a person is incapable of understanding why the same schools play in the SEMO Christmas Tournament every year,

What's the odds he is smart enough to wear a coat in cold weather???

-- Posted by UFO on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 2:33 PM
  • I'd say the same odds that you live in Scott City and don't have all your teeth.

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 2:36 PM
  • Oh, that's original. Band Boy.

-- Posted by UFO on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 2:42 PM
  • Not orignal UFO, just the norm. You keep rooting on those rams I think they have a decent shot at a 500 record this year.

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 2:44 PM
  • Get a life hawk85! If you don't like the announcers turn your radio off. Just that simple!!!!!

-- Posted by newfrontier60 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 2:57 PM
  • THEY SUCKED!!! I'M TRYING TO LISTEN TO THE GAMES

NOT HEAR A ND PEP CLUB. JUST BE NUETRAL. U MUST BE ND LOVER!!!

-- Posted by hawk85 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 3:07 PM

107.1 is also covering some of the games.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 3:15 PM

You guys are lucky! I wish that I was there to witness this history. Thanks, birdfan, for the info.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 3:17 PM

Arkansas #1 Little Rock Parkview

California #1 Long Beach Poly

Kentucky #1 Bullitt East

4A #4 FW Trimble Tech

5A #4 North Crowley

5A #6 Spring Westfield

5A #8 Duncanville

5A #9 Richardson Berkner

5A #11 Rowlett

5A #14 Richland

5A #15 Plano West

Here is a list of the teams participating in the Whataburger Tournament here in L.A. along with their school size and local, state rankings...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 3:36 PM

I just checked one national poll and at least 4 teams from the L.A. metro area are ranked...that does not include the entire state of CA.! The number one team nationally (Mater Dei Monarchs) is from the L.A. metro area!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 3:54 PM
  • Exactly what I was saying get a life and stop whining over a broadcast! Go to the game or find another station! Simple

-- Posted by newfrontier60 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 4:02 PM
  • Watching cape central play was a joke.. A bunch of showboating they will get upset tomorrow.

-- Posted by Stinger Fan 12 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 4:09 PM
  • I graduated from Charleston moved to Texas and have seen all these teams play my son went to Duncanville they had the number 1 baseball team in the us and the number 1 basketball team in the us but I can tell you semo ball fills the stands like no other its great bball here but the fans do not show up like back home so be proud even if the little schools do get blasted at least the fans are there.

-- Posted by motoman123 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 4:10 PM

I don't think that there are too many places around the country that have an atmosphere like the charleston Sikeston game this year

-- Posted by thunderstick on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 5:05 PM
  • Leopold will play ND tomorrow and they should beat them! Go cats!!

-- Posted by Stinger Fan 12 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 6:51 PM

If ND continues to shoot the way they have the last two games they are a major threat to make it to the championship game. When you have 6 or 7 guys making three's you can be very dangerous. I think Leopold will hang with them until half then ND will just be too much to handle and pull away. ND-65 Leopold-52

-- Posted by thunderstick on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 7:02 PM
  • I hope ND is ready for a tough match against Leopold, I see the Wildcats surprisein a bunch of teams & people this year.Never count this small school out of any tourney.Go Cats show these so called big schools how far heart, talent,& teamwork will take u.

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 7:42 PM
  • Any guesses on who newfrontier60 is... Chase Simmons? His mom? Dad? Todd B?

Jeez, defensive much?

-- Posted by semo501 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 8:38 PM
  • In other news... Hope to see some competitive games tomorrow: ND/Leopold Jackson/SCC. Any other matchups to look out for?

-- Posted by semo501 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 8:39 PM

Cape Central vs Advance should be exciting as well.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 8:40 PM
  • After watching the first day of the Christmas tournament, I think the talent level between the haves and have nots is as wide as the Grand Canyon. You have 1 real good team in Charleston, 4 above average to good teams in SCC, ND, Cape and Jackson, a couple of average at best teams and the rest are just some truly bad teams. If you took an "all-star" from the last 5 or 6 teams, they'd still get turdo clocked by the first 5 or 6 teams.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:42 PM

Well Bill was able to knock out his A/C condenser last night so daddy's lookin to hit the big bucks on the Christmas bracket pick'em!! 100% so far..

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 10:54 PM
  • You, me, and 163 other guys Bill! Lol.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:03 PM
  • In other news semo you still have trouble with your defense. Lol

-- Posted by Rickenbacker360 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:16 PM
  • I agree Scott. I don't know what's more pathetic, the teams in the tournament of the fact your drove two hours to watch Charleston, Cape, and ND play Delta, Meadow Heights, and Bell City.

Obviously your not too familiar with this tournament as some as "These smaller schools that only have 5 players" have had great success within the tournament in past years. I think you might be the only one who thinks this as obviously as stated above, a lot of smaller schools love the chance to take on a bigger team in hopes of an upset.

I will leave you with this however. I know how competitive and how greater the talent level is up in the city. I'm stumped however why your driving down to watch these country boys play ball especially the 1st day morning session at the Show Me Center. Somebody should have warned you of that mistake.

Without further action, my prediction since I know all of you fanactics were just waiting for it. I look for all the top seeds to advance other than SCC. I wouldn't consider it so much an upset but I think Jackson's size will give SCC fits. A lot of people are talking how SCC's press will be the dominating factor but SCC's press is nothing to what it used to be and an average basketball team can compete with it this year.

The Oran/Charleston game will be close also if Oran can make 17+ threes. Still.... I like Charleston's chances.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 3:52 AM
  • I didnt drive two hours to see this tournament I was in cape for christmas at my in laws house, but thanks for asking and I wouldnt drive 2 miles to see that kind of basketball again.

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 4:14 AM
  • stlscott needs to go back to stl!! loser

-- Posted by mm81 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 8:55 AM
  • Thank you sir

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 9:29 AM

The first of the Christmas tournaments everyone knows the closer games are going to be at the Bloomfield tournament. There is more parity at Bloomfield than the SEMO tourn.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 10:31 AM
  • Stlscott, prolly should point his vehicle north and hit the gas before he mouths the wrong persons child. I'd say he shouldn't mention the kids from Scott City or any other of our local towns in a negative way anymore, he may dig up a bone he can't chew. These are good kids who happen to play for a small school and unlike the city schools they don't have the luxury of bussing the talent in to load up their sports program. Btw Scotty boy.......our Semo area schools pretty much dominate the rest of the state in basketball and baseball........always have and I'm sure they always will. Our small schools may be rivals but in the end we have each others backs. Move north city boy!

-- Posted by Ramfan_1 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 3:30 PM
  • Justin clark n Jamarcus Williams team would clobber this charleston team

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 5:08 PM
  • First of all there are teams other than ND, Cape Central, Charleston,& Jackson Fatboy72.You had better recognize Leopold who could very well beat ND tonight as well as I hate to say it Advance who could beat my alma mater Central.I tell u this if Leopold beats ND they r gonna b tough to beat no matter who they play, they have outscored all 10 teams they've played this year by atleast 25 or more every game.My final four goes like this, Charleston, Jackson,Cape Central,& little ole Leopold.Then Leopold beats Central if Central gets by a tough Advance team, Jackson beats Charleston by riding momentum of a lost student, then Leopold takes it all for the small schools over Jackson or even Charleston by 7pts or more.This could all fall apart if they some how beat themselves against ND, but I doubt it.GO WILDCATS one game at a time & you can do this.

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 6:10 PM

You lost me at "Jackson beats Charleston". Sounds like wishful thinking there.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 6:12 PM
  • I'll admit that I forgot about Leopold. I think they will beat ND. But I agree with sideline starter, you lost me after "Jackson beats Charleston". If Parham is back, they turbo clock the last two games. If he's not, they win by 20+.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 6:44 PM
  • Ramfan ive never badmouthed any kids, I take your another stupid hillbilly.

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 8:11 PM
  • Someone should guard #12 from leopold

-- Posted by ihateAZ on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 8:47 PM
  • Whats score of ND Leopold

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 8:54 PM

60-56 nd with 1 min to go

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 8:57 PM

60-58 :37 timeout ND ball

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 8:58 PM
  • Stlscoot who u callin hillbilly &ihateAZ No12 is not the only player Leopold has, 12 was best player last year but now they have others to compliment him.So they better gaurd all of them I understand there is probably less than 3min to go & im at homr but I know Leopold is giving them all they can handle & if they win watch out for the small school.

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 8:59 PM

62-58 ND :12 nd shooting 2 freethrows

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 8:59 PM

Leopold is a very good class 1 team. Unfortunately they have not beaten a good team. And they still haven't. ND wins 63-58.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 9:01 PM
  • Looks like ND will win barring a miracle, but good game by both teams.Watch out for ND

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 9:03 PM
  • Remember folks Leopold is Class 1 & ND is a few classes higher so they should have won & won handedly, just shows the heart of our boys from Leopold Mr.Doby so dont rain on Leopold just causr they lost have some respect.

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 9:08 PM
  • a few classes higher and a much bigger area to recruit from

-- Posted by le888 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 9:16 PM

Petro....I said Leopold is a very good class 1 team.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 9:19 PM
  • And before stlscoot says I cant spell I know there r typing errors I was just typing so fast cause ur comments had me close to the edge.So before u say hillbilly or uneducated step off.Because by the remarks u made I have a feeling im more educated than u stlpoot.haaahaa haaahaaaa.

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 9:38 PM
  • And before stlscoot says I cant spell I know there r typing errors I was just typing so fast cause ur comments had me close to the edge.So before u say hillbilly or uneducated step off.Because by the remarks u made I have a feeling im more educated than u stlpoot.haaahaa haaahaaaa.

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 9:38 PM
  • He's the only one they had tonight, everyone in the gym knew where it was going, they went to a box and 1 and the game was over, Leopold played well, but as Rocket would say,"just not enough horses"

-- Posted by ihateAZ on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 9:41 PM
  • Now after that rant which I should have never stooped to that oersons level itd just that it really bothered me the way he criticized r bball I had to respond.Now to more important matters congrats to all winners tonight & also to the teams on the opposite side of that.All of u played great & the ND & Leopold gamev was great as well as the other games.Thank you coaches & players.

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 9:43 PM
  • Thank u Doby sorry for the jump to conclusions.

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 9:46 PM
  • Will the real Mike Hull please step up!!!!!! Go Jays

-- Posted by silentplayer on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 12:42 PM
  • I tried explaining to everyone what would happen to Advance and Leopold. I've been around this tournament long enough. Oran will beat SCC today in my unbiased opinion also. We'll see. Not too many teams have had the luxury this year like Oran to put up 63 points against Charleston. It all depends if the legs can stay fresh.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 2:05 PM
  • Uncle Charlie. Do you honestly think Oran can beat SCC tonight? After running up and down the court with Charleston all night? Expect the same type game from SCC. I say SCC by 10-15.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 3:10 PM
  • All Hail to basketball genius Uncle Charlie bahahaha

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 3:16 PM

How do some of you like your crow served? Congrats Oran!

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 5:21 PM

When are people going to stop hyping SCC? This is not the same team by any means. But I will say if Coach Wright was still there this team would not be playing this way.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 5:23 PM
  • With orange sauce please

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 5:43 PM

Easy with that Crow talk. That and Pigs Brains are delicacies down in Bollinger County.

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 5:49 PM

Good call Uncle Charlie. I of little faith couldn't pull the the trigger for the bracket contest but I would gladly trade a gift certificate for the "W"!

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 5:59 PM
  • Oran's got a good team this year. I've been saying it all year long. I honestly don't know why you think Oran wouldn't even have came within 10 points of SCC when Oak Ridge and Advance have already posted wins against them. I'd check my math if I was you. Oran not only won but they won big.

Leopold's overrated also. I am just fathomed with how much size they have and how the style of ball they play does not accomodate with their size. Leopold needs to be more physical, get to the middle, FINISH down low, and if down by more than 10 points in a ball game, give the ball to Kyle Stroder. It looked like they were just going through the motions tonight. I still think on any giving night Leopold can beat any small school in the Semo area.

Advance and Oran will be a battle tomrorrow, can't wait.

Does anyone know the last time SCC has not played on the final day of the tournament????

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 6:46 PM
  • It's okay Larry, I didn't even wake up in time this morning to fill my bracket out. I would have 2 losses right now which is not good enough anyways.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 6:48 PM
  • Oran looks good. I agree, Oran and Advance should be really competitive.

-- Posted by UFO on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 7:33 PM
  • There arent any teams in this tournament besides charleston that are good thats just the facts said all year besides sikeston and charleston,not much good ball down that way.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 7:38 PM
  • ^This guy is completely oblivious to the fact nobody cares he's from St. Louis and that if you venture out of the "city area", Southeast Missouri has the best ball in the state.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 7:50 PM
  • However, I do not believe a couple losses makes Leopold overrated.

Leopold is a really good team and deserved a top 7 ranking in this tournament.

-- Posted by UFO on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 7:54 PM
  • Stlscott, alias "arnoldscott" was a band reject and got picked on too much.

No one really takes him serious...

-- Posted by UFO on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 7:59 PM
  • Word is: He was windy enough to play the flute, but wasn't sharp enough to remember his alma mater fight song...

-- Posted by UFO on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 8:10 PM
  • Way to step it up Hull!!!! Now, Will the real Darrion Carter please step up!!!!!! Way to go Jays!!!!! We need 110% from ALL Blue Jays tomorrow!!!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 8:38 PM
  • stlscott , is everyone from your area as classy as you are ? You get on here and insult our intelligence because we're not from a large metro area . Are you serious ? If someone from southeast Missouri got on here and acted like you I would be embarrassed and ashamed . Dude just go away !

-- Posted by jrob5352 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 9:20 PM
  • Changing the subject SCC has to be one of the major disappointments so far. Lost to oak ridge now blowout losses to Jackson and Oran. They have one decent win a close game against Advance who turned right back around and beat them. I can't remember a year where they had 7-8 losses this early in the season. Also I think we all need to recognize Oran and Advance as legit contenders in Class 2. There are 5 strong teams in the south but none are really standing out. This week it's Holcomb last week it was Hayti then another week it might be south pem. I think a person could make a case that any of these 7 have a shot at the final 4. Good luck to Advance and Oran.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 10:14 PM
  • No teams in class 2 standing out from the south? I do believe Holcomb is going to the championship game in the BCT against Kennett Monday night.

-- Posted by bleacherking on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 10:51 PM
  • Well I hate to c Leopold lose to cross town rival Advance & not to take away from Advance victory, but I think from talking to players Leopold was really down on themselves after last nites loss to ND.And thank u UFO for saying they were worth the #7 rating after all they r 10-2 & will face Advance again,& those who say they've played no-one well its not there fault & they've played whod on the schedule.I promise u this by the end of the year this team of guys will b remembered for doing something special in class 1, maybe not state champs but they will go far if they play together as a team.As far as my alma mater Central whtch out Advance & any othe team that gets in the way.If they keep the pace slow & play halfcourt there 6'6 guy will dominate.Back to my new school...Leopold keep ur heads up, play like a team & the winning will start again & this time dont stop.Protect ur house & have each others back especially u seniors,this I's ur last year to go far & maybe win it all.Good luck Cats & dont back down.Final Four Xmad tourney Charleston, Central, Jackson, ND but they got blown out by Cape..Final Charleston vs Central....Central wins in upset.I say this cause n total of Xmas tourneys it seems Charleston or SCC have won a lot in the past decades, I can remember the years of Marcus Timmons of SCC & Charlestons Lamar.....? darn it what was his last name, I know he went pro & played off the bench for the Lakers..senior moment...I know someone knows.Than there was Danny Doughone of ND & Andy Lynch of Central...those were great battles.Was it Lamar Hunt or Woodley? Someone out there help its drivin me nuts.Anyway back to reality & this year I'd have to say ND & Leopold was one of the better games so far & I think it drained both teams in there upcoming games.Well now that my rant I'd done go Central & Leopold keep ur heads up ur 10-2 & have a long season to go so dont let this define u, play like chmpions the rest of the year.Go Wildcats

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 11:21 PM
  • Lamont Farzier...dang that was drivin me crazy, but him &Timmons dominated the late 80's early 90's when they played for Charleston & SCC. Sorry for my poor grammer n my posts.My family says it refelcts badly, but when ur typing on a phones keypad it happens so excuse my errors.lol

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 11:55 PM
  • ^^^this guy.....motivational poster.....I hope Rudy gets in

-- Posted by ihateAZ on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 12:03 AM

Lamont Frazier never played pro basketball. Following his basketball career at Mizzou, he played his 5th year for the football Tigers and was an All Big-Eight Tight End. He signed with the Arizona Cardinals and left during camp as is heart is with basketball. Worked with the ShowMe Games for a few years before becoming Asst. Coach at Warrensburg under Head Coach Kim Anderson; resigned that position to enter high school coaching.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 12:05 AM
  • This is Rudy and I concur with Petropetty.

-- Posted by UFO on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 12:32 AM
  • I dont think anyone from Charleston or anyone in Southeast Missouri for that matter ever played for the Lakers did they?

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 12:54 AM
  • You heard it here first folks....

SC over Oak Ridge

Oran over Advance

Jackson over ND

C'town over Central

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 1:12 PM
  • I LIKE ADVANCE OVER ORAN.

-- Posted by dickie v on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 1:25 PM
  • If they feed the ball to the big boy.That will be the diffrence.

-- Posted by dickie v on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 1:28 PM
  • Oran's big man is averaging around 20 points a game the whole tournament. I think he'll be able to keep one of Advance's big men in check.

I've seen these teams play each other 8 times in the past two years and rebounding will be the difference in this one. If Oran out rebounds Advance (which I won't think will happen anyways) they have an 80% to win this game.

If Advance was smart they would throw this game because the odds of either one of these teams beating the other 3 times in a season is very slim. It's actually never happened and Advance will have to do so to win districts if they win today.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 2:18 PM
  • Oh you didnt eh stlscott? Ya think those Scott City boys don't have all their teeth. Come see this hillbilly!

-- Posted by Ramfan_1 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:22 PM

Congrats on your big wins against Delta and Woodland Ram Fan! I haven't seen ball like that in ages.

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:40 PM
  • I gotta wonder what the folks who chose the all tourney team were basing their selections on. I agree with most of their choices however the Moore kid from Oran was impressive on both ends of the floor and Brock and Mcfall from Scott City were number 3 & 4 in scoring for the tourney and didn't make it. These 3 didn't have the luxury of playing against a totally mismatched team during the tourney and still put up some impressive numbers. It appears that the ol "Cape connection"will always take precedent over the other area athletes that participate. Cape Central, Notre Dame, an Jackson will always fill the majority of these spot, some deserved it but several did not. Not whining because its really an irrelevant award but its disappointing to see it year in and year out.

-- Posted by Ramfan_1 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:53 PM
  • I'd bet u were a great P.E. player Bill.

-- Posted by Ramfan_1 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:55 PM
  • Ram fan

To say one of these kids that were selected to the all tourney team did not deserve it is just too negative.

Just because your guys did not make it you should not put others down.

I saw the selections and certainly can't see anyone who did not deserve it.

Scoring is far from the only thing that should lead to a selection to this team.

Team success, attitude effort and overall play should be the determining factor to make this team.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:05 PM
  • The Cape, Jackson, and ND players played the toughest overall competition. The players from these schools that made the all tournament team didn't see their normal number of minutes in their first round games anyway. So technically, the Scott City boys had a better chance to score more seeing as how they spent more time on the court and played an overall easier 4 day schedule. Hearing this every year gets annoying. I will agree with you on Moore though, I thought he was deserving.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:08 PM
  • You do realize that Scott city did battle it out with the winless 16 seed and the 13 seed? Brock prob would have made the team had he scored more than 2 points today against Oak Ridge.

-- Posted by leopold_championship on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:13 PM

3 Sport Athelete of the year Waay back in the day, but I don't think much of that nor do I judge much of what people accomplished in high school(individually). As to answer your question. Yes I did well in P.E. too;)

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:49 PM
  • CONGRATS to Charleston on their victory tonight.

They are a great team yet again.

More importantly, as a fan of Cape County basketball, CONGRATS to Cape and Jackson for a good tournament.

Both have a bright future.

Yes they both lost to C'town but both showed a lot of promise for this year and the future.

Neither got turbo clocked like so many predicted.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 12:25 AM
  • Is this everyones first year attending the Christmas Tourny?

First off, in the past decade you have a 0% of making the team if you do not play on the final day.

Secondly, there's ten spots I do believe on the all tournament team which means somebody is taking the shaft since no one has came up with the bright idea to do TWO ALL TOURNAMENT TEAMS like 75% of high basketball tournaments in the state.

Third, I think some of you all more aggrevated that a certain kid didn't make it then that kid himself. I'm pretty sure Moore from Oran is happy enough at the end of the day with a 5th place trophy along with whatever other teams had an impressive tournament and had a kid that didn't quite make it.

Fourth, unless you have two or three kids that post 30 points a game in 4 days, only one kid from your beloved team will make the all-tournament team even though we all know your team should have 2 or 3 players on it....

Lastly, whoever selects the team doesn't care if you played Zalma or the Chicago Bulls which is how it should be. A kid cannot help the competition they play within the tournament. THE WHOLE BASIS FOR DETERMINING WHO MAKES THE TEAM IS BASED ON POINTS AND POINTS ONLY. Somebody might oppose this but until somebody makes the all tournament team for averaging 7 steals a game, 25 rebounds a game, or 10 assists a game, I'll stick to my opinion.

I feel like this is an yearly conversation.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 12:45 AM
  • And before anybody gets on here and tries telling me I'm wrong since Brock and McFall didn't make it, you typically have to win the consolation final game to be put on the all-tournament team. It's obvious both had better tournamants than any kid from Oak Ridge that made the team but somedays your the bird and somedays your the statue..

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 12:50 AM
  • First off, in the past decade you have a 0% of making the team if you do not play on the final day.

Scratch that since Stroder made it. When your the 10th leading scorer in the tournament and you only play 3 days against stiff competition you normally have a case for yourself.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 12:54 AM
  • Who made the All Tournament Team?

-- Posted by Recruiter on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 7:39 AM

So I went up to the final day of the SEMO Christmas Tourney and I have to say there some impressive players this year who are the MVP of their team. Without this one player that team's chances of winning drop drastically.

The players I'm thinking of specifically are #24 for Advance I believe his last name is Lewis. Lewis may not be the best player in the tournament or even the best player on the floor against Oran but he is the most fun to watch since he can seemingly rotate himself into a great shot no matter what. The next was #33 for Oran. I'm not sure what his name his but we will just call him the Boss. The Boss scored when he wanted to( for the most part), rebounded with authority, held the Advance bigs in check for most of the game, and shouted at his teammates to get in position like a boss.

The next two are Jackson's Carson King and Cape's Jamal Cox. King showed that when he is on he is one of the outside inside bigs in the area along with Sumner Foster and JT Jones. Cox on the other hand proved how much Cape relied in his scoring when he was limited by foul trouble in the championship game.

Favorite things about Saturday in order:

1) Carson King dominating in light of his family's tragedy

2) Oran's coach screaming at everyone including yelling OVERLOAD! In one of his player's ears while the game was being played

3) Sikeston's Vashon Ruffin winning the skill challenge during the halftime of the Cape/ Ctown.

4) The Jackson fan/cheer section's outfits and that half of them stuck around to help Charleston cheer against Cape. Their energy was much needed during a final with 32 fouls called.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:35 AM

Bunk, #24 for Advance was Lane Below. Don't know where you got Lewis from. Hah.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:37 AM

It's all those Ls and Ws they just run together on a muffled PA.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 9:07 AM
  • Bunk bringin' it on semoball. #represent

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 10:06 AM
  • Ethan Barr is the most skilled big man in this tourney, but Alex Heuring is the most hard working, aggressive, emotional big I saw and that lead him to winning that battle inside.. Jamal Cox is a tall athlete that plays inside, he's not a true big.. Ethan Barr has great touch, he's strong, and he showed the capability of stepping out and hitting 15 footers.. I'm not saying Blake Reynolds isn't a good player, bc I mentioned several times throughout the tournament that in 2 years he can be a star if he wants too.. He's 6'7 and has great hands and he's very coordinator and agile unlike most tall kids his age.. but I didn't see enough from him that garnered the all tournament team over Barr or Moore

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 10:37 AM
  • Where did you find out who was on the all tournament team? did any oak ridge players make it?

-- Posted by Rammer on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 4:41 PM
  • That opening round oak ridge game was misleading. They had not played in a week or practice in 4 days.

-- Posted by Rammer on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 4:43 PM
  • went back n looked at cover it live, I can't believe there wasn't an article naming those who did make it

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 11:49 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: