Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Dustin's Weather Alerts!

Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 4:47 PM:

Don said it would.

Replies (70)

• I think we should all cut Dustin some slack here and give him credit for being concerned.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 5:00 PM
  • Yea I agree this is going to be a real good storm, said in other thread if storm models continue the way they are going, no ball will be played wednesday and possibly thursday.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 5:03 PM
  • That would be a bummer, but safety first.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 5:08 PM
  • it will stay east of the mississippi river no worries play ball

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 5:47 PM
  • ^^ Thats not gonna happen.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 5:54 PM
  • Agreed Preacher Man.

It seems like some can only find negative things to say.

Don't even know why I keep looking at this stuff.

It only seems to irritate me that people can only find a way to be disrespectful to other people, and unfortunately, they target these kids.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 9:19 PM
  • I scroll over anything Dustin posts. Especially after his mid season column about the Cardinals stating that they need to trade certain starters because the team lacks power. This was when they were one of the top teams in every offensive category. The "sponsored" posts also are annoying.

Sorry, this is the only thread I can type that without disturbing something serious.

But onto the weather. I wouldn't mind a good snow. I'm not sure the ground in Cape will be cold enough for anything significant to build up. It is currently 49° and the low for Tuesday is 32. We live in southeast Missouri though so anything can happen.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 1:03 AM
  • CapeAlum

The Cardinals scored one run or less in all four games they lost against the San Francisco Giants in the NLCS.

The Giants outscored the Cardinals 35-19.

Perhaps the offense wasn't good enough. It's possible to win a seven-game series averaging 2.7 runs per game. But not likely.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 1:30 AM
  • I will add I don't think the Cardinals maximize their offensive potential by what they have done at CF, 2B and SS the last two or three seasons. I'm not sure if it would have cost them a significant amount of money to do something different.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 1:41 AM
  • I also have a gut feeling if Walt Jocketty was still GM during the time the Cardinals attempted to negotiate a contract with Albert Pujols and the GM got to make the final call Pujols would still be in St. Louis. There is not way to prove this of course. It is speculation.

I'm not saying it would have been a good contract to hand out. But Jocketty had a history of taking more chances on veteran players than rookies. Some of his contracts were bad. The final contract the Cardinals gave to Edmonds for two years didn't work out. But overall his strategy has built winners everywhere he has been a GM including in Cincinnati now.

I'm not a big fan of letting the veteran players go all the time. It wouldn't have cost the Cardinals a fortune to resign Kyle Lohse. I'm still not convinced they have anyone to fill his spot in the rotation next season. But the current philosophy tends to be to take a risk on the younger players.

All this is totally off topic for this thread. But with the snow coming perhaps it will give us something to debate this week.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 1:55 AM
  • If we explore signing Jake Westbrook vs. Kyle Lohse to a contract for next season which option would you have taken CapeAlum? Granted Lohse costs slightly more and you have to keep him longer.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 2:02 AM
  • The best thing the cardinals ever did was not signing Pujols to a 10 year deal, that LAA team is going to be a disaster in about 4 years with a 175 Million payroll.

-- Posted by stlscott on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 5:49 AM
  • Agree with stlscott: There was no bigger fan of Pujols than myself, but to even consider a 10-year deal would be ludicrous!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 9:16 AM

The Cardinals are doing fine on the course they are on. Overpaying to keep a veteran pitcher with only one big deal left in his career (and thus guaranteed to get overpaid) when your system is full of talent ready for the big leagues (Miller, Rosenthal, etc.) is just silly.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 9:18 AM
  • Hey dustin, the giants rolled everyone in the playoffs except the cards. They were the team of destiny this year, like cards 2yrs ago. We had em down but couldnt finish, otherwise we'd be celebrating a 2peat. Crap happens to great teams in the playoffs, ask the rangers.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 9:41 AM
  • They had a bad offensive series. How about the tear they were on the rest of the season.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 10:16 AM
  • Gotta agree with Sideline and stlscott on the Pujols and pitching situations. Babe Ruth-like players like Pujols only come along once in a generation, but 10 years was just unreasonable. Had he been willing to settle for a 5 year deal, he would still be a Cardinal. I too think the Angels ridiculous payroll is going to sink that organization, just like it did the Rangers and Yankees who got saddled with A-Rod's huge contract. I have no way to prove this, but I think Albert wanted to stay in St. Louis, but Scott Boras drove the whole thing. Albert should've stood up to him like McGwire did when he took less to stay with the Cardinals. Of course, the union went nuts when he did that!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 11:24 AM
  • Dustin is argue the cardinals have to much "power" and not enough good major league hitters.. if Holliday isn't hitting homers or doubles he's striking out or poppin up in the infield.. the cardinals either scored 1 run or 8 runs it seemed like.. not enough contact hitters in the lineup, and zero production from 7,8 spots and jay isn't much himself

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 11:26 AM
  • Jocketty gutted the minor league system that's why he never took chances on rookies. He depleted the farm system to a point where it's just now starting to rebound

-- Posted by navinjohnson on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 11:27 AM
  • Jay isnt much himself? Are you serious!

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 11:49 AM
  • We were one win away from a 2peat without pujols, berk, and carp. Not too bad in my estimation.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 12:14 PM

Cardinals are a above average offensive team. Carlos Beltran goes about 15-25 then about 2 for 30. Holliday doesn't have much of an approach at the plate, just is a physical freak that can be shut down by 93+ heat. Carpenter and Descalso are good platoon players. Freese and Craig if healthy could be very good hitters and John Jay is a good fielding CF with an awful arm and will hit about .275-.310 every year with about 5-10 home runs. Molina is becoming their best all around hitter in my opinion and hopefully Taveras is as good as advertised. Short stop position is still a mystery, but I don't see Kozma as the long time answer. Cardinals strength by far is their pitching staff. They have a solid all around team that should win 90-100 games this year.

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 12:41 PM
  • I'm working on designing sports pages right now. But I'll get back to the debate later today.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 1:11 PM
  • Cards have decided over the years, intelligently, not to spend a gazillion bux on folks like pujols, hamilton, greinke, etc. So we hafta accept a less than star studded lineup and hope things like team chemistry and cardinal pride and good managing gettm over the hump. 3 series appearances and 2 rings prove somethings been working over the past 9 years!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 1:43 PM
  • I think the birds should make a play for Elvis Andrus. Decent bat, helluva short stop, and he's only 24.

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 2:03 PM

Hello everyone my name is Bunk and this my first semoball comment. I have been a long time lurker on these forums but after reading this thread I felt compelled to final join in the discussion. Some of the Sikeston posters may already know who I am giving giving a special shout out to those guys for the peer pressure you exerted to get me to join( looking at you sideline). But anyways back to the matter at hand. Dustin I have to disagree with you on the several posts you have made about my beloved St. Louis Cardinals. I think I'll list this to make them less confusing. 1) You state that the Cards don't " maximize their offensive potential at CF, SS, and 2B." Besides the fact that the ceiling for our talent at those positions isn't necessarily high I'm let it pass. The fact is that the Cards get a great deal of offense from the CF spot and are about league average at the MIF spots. Jon Jay hit for .305 BA, .373 OBP, .400 Slg., and a .773 OPS. That is pretty good for a gold glove caliber CF the only thing he doesn't do is hit home runs. 2) As for the MIFs if they are league average who do you suggest we trade for and what do we trade? The truth there just isn't a ton of good offensive talent at those spots in the majors because of the athleticism required. DD and Furcal are much better than the Brendan Ryan/ Theriot/ Aaron Miles MIFs we had under La Russa.3) Lohse had a great year and might have 1 or 2 more good years in that arm but we have many pitchers with more talent and less cost concerns coming up from the minors. There are so many I won't even bother breaking down the top five of them just know that we have a top 3 overall farm system on baseball and the top one in pitching by a wide margin. It doesn't even make sense for us to resign Waino for the money and years he deserves next year. Basically we may not of win this year but when the young ins get called up over the next seasons we are gonna have shot to win several more.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 2:29 PM
  • By the way Semo folks I told you this was going to be a rough storm , Blizzard watch is in effect for all of semo, Christmas tourney will be very lucky to start this week period. The best part is Im in cape for holidays enjoy the weather, and merry christmas.

-- Posted by stlscott on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 2:32 PM

Also @ preach, Pujols agent is Dan Lauzon not Scott Boras. I think Albert did his fair when it came to financial compensation the negotiations. Albert had his chance and chose to go some where else and that's fine but we all need to stop apologizing for him. He could of stayed and broke all of Musial's records and been the greatest Cardinal ever he didn't though its ok to realize that he just wanted to get paid.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 2:34 PM

@6432 I'm not sure you understand how baseball works. If Holliday hit XBH in half of his PAs than that means he would have a BA of .500. If that were the case we would be hailing him as the best hitter ever. Holiday's swing and approach are fine. I personal think you and his haters expected him to keep hitting HRs like he was still playing in Coors field, which is just impossible to do. Holiday is older now and in a pitcher's ballpark for 82 games so of course the HRs will fall off, but his doubles have increased, which has evened out his Slg%. He is a great hitter who almost batted his way to an MVP after starting the year in a horrible slump where he hit line drive after line drive. As long as Holiday plays for us we are lucky to have him.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 2:42 PM

It's amazing to finally have the Bunk on Semoball.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 2:45 PM

By the way I commute to work so snow sucks. That is all

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 2:46 PM
  • I'm fairly sure that most people do Bunk.

-- Posted by stlscott on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 2:58 PM
  • Issued by The National Weather Service

Paducah, KY

Mon, Dec 24, 2012, 1:58 PM CST

BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING... ... WINTER STORM WATCH IS CANCELLED...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PADUCAH HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING. THE WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

* SNOWFALL AMOUNTS: THE LOCATION OF THE RAIN SNOW LINE WILL BE CRITICAL FOR DETERMINING SNOWFALL AMOUNTS. BASED ON THE CURRENT EXPECTED STORM TRACK... THE RAIN SNOW LINE WILL EXTEND FROM AROUND NEW MADRID MISSOURI... NORTHEAST ACROSS PADUCAH KENTUCKY... TO AROUND EVANSVILLE INDIANA. SNOWFALL AROUND ONE FOOT IS QUITE POSSIBLE WHERE THE PRECIPITATION IS ALL SNOW. NEAR THE RAIN SNOW LINE... SNOWFALL AMOUNTS ARE MUCH LESS CERTAIN. DUE TO POTENTIAL ERRORS IN THE FORECAST STORM TRACK... PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO LATER FORECASTS.

* WINDS: WINDS ON CHRISTMAS NIGHT WILL INCREASE TO AROUND 25 MPH... WITH FREQUENT GUSTS FROM 35 TO 45 MPH. THESE STRONG WINDS WILL PERSIST INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* TIMING: THE HEAVIEST SNOW AND STRONGEST WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP BETWEEN 8 PM AND MIDNIGHT ON CHRISTMAS NIGHT. CONDITIONS WILL BEGIN TO IMPROVE BETWEEN 5 AM AND 10 AM ON WEDNESDAY.

* IMPACTS: BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE IN THE WATCH AREA. SHOULD THE WATCH BE UPGRADED TO A BLIZZARD WARNING... EXPECT TRAVEL TO BECOME VERY DIFFICULT OR IMPOSSIBLE. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW COULD MAKE ROADS IMPASSABLE, WHITEOUT CONDITIONS MAY CREATE A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION FOR THOSE VENTURING OUTDOORS.

* OTHER IMPACTS: THE HEAVY WET SNOW AND STRONG WINDS MAY BRING DOWN SOME TREES AND POWER LINES. IN ADDITION... SHOVELLING HEAVY WET SNOW HAS CAUSED HEART ATTACKS... BACK PROBLEMS... AND OTHER ISSUES IN PAST WINTER STORMS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A BLIZZARD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FALLING AND/OR BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND EXTREMELY POOR VISIBILITIES. THIS CAN LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AND MAKE TRAVEL VERY DANGEROUS.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 3:00 PM

Perry County in the 6"+ map on STL news WEEEEEE.. Bill might have a whole handful of time to patrol the boards..

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 3:06 PM
  • If you have electricity Bill.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 3:34 PM
  • I stand corrected Bunk. I still think the agents and the union are driving players to maximize their contracts. Look at the grief McGwire took when he signed a contract for less than "fair market value" to remain a Cardinal just because he loved playing in St. Louis. Yes, Albert is also responsible, but he was just being unrealistic and also a bit egotistical IMO.

BTW Bunk, welcome to Semoball!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 3:59 PM

Thank you Preach for the warm welcome.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 4:13 PM

Let us consider that Albert took a sort of hometown discount when he took his seven year extension in 2004. He should have been paid more for years 4-11 in St. Louis and was looking to get that pay for past performance in his deal after the 2011 season. Holliday was getting paid the same if not more than Albert. That was part of it. The Angels just kind of paid for part of the performance Albert did for the Cards.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 4:20 PM

Yeah there is no doubt Albert was a bargain considering his production during his prime here in St. Louis, but I don't think that justifies overpaying for him after the 2011 season. It is a pet peeve of mine when fans pile on organizations because aging stars sign elsewhere. Not saying you did Preach but the fact remains that Albert didn't reconcile his supposed desire to stay in St. Louis with his desire to be the highest payed 1B in baseball. It wasn't greed that drove Albert away because the income tax situations in both Florida and Missouri it would have been more profitable to sign with clubs in those states rather than a club in California. I just wanted to point out that it wasn't a matter of what Albert had earned or hyper aggressive agents that drove Albert out of the STL but it was his pride in being recognized as the best 1B in baseball over being the best Cardinal in franchise history.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 4:35 PM
  • Considering the millions of dollars professional athletes are paid, it's hard for me to think of any of them as underpaid or a bargain. I do realize that is relative considering the market for their services however. Albert's decision was a combination of factors including ego, agents, and the union IMO. Bunk, you mentioned the income tax situation which was another reason Pujols's signing with the Angels was so strange to me. By the time he is finished paying federal, state, and local taxes, he prolly would have made more money in St. Louis had he accepted the Cardinals' final offer.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 5:08 PM
  • cirithungol17

One might argue Jocketty put the elements in place for the two rings. He was obviously the GM during the first one. Same field manager for second ring. Also at least a few star players / key elements were still in place during second ring.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 6:37 PM
  • Mozeliak gets credit for the Rasmus trade, which may have been the final piece to the puzzle for the second ring.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 6:39 PM

@bunk So you are telling me that you would like Holliday coming up with the game on the line with the opposition's best reliever? He is a good hitter, but he cannot consistently hit good pitching, I like having him on the team just because he can run into one at any moment and he plays hard, and quite honestly I'm a fan of his, but I would rather have Molina, Craig, or Freese up in the biggest ab of the game. But I don't understand baseball so please enlighten me on how that is wrong

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 6:46 PM

@bunk, But I will agree I don't understand all the hate Holliday gets myself, but there are some guys I don't like up in clutch situations and Holliday is one, but he is a productive 150 games a year player.

And bring the blizzard on Draw Mules!

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 6:56 PM
  • I just looked outside, and saw Santa not even slow down in front of my house. He looked right at me and said.......... "Yeah, right!"

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 8:36 PM
  • I think the weather forecast may create some serious problems for Santa Claus in our region. He may be better equipped to travel in blizzard conditions than me, however.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 8:40 PM
  • Actually it probably won't. I forgot Santa Claus comes tonight. Not Tuesday night.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 8:42 PM
  • One final thought on the Edmonds contract. If the Cardinals don't sign Edmonds maybe they don't end up with David Freese and maybe they don't win the World Series in 2011.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 8:53 PM
  • Bunk, although I agree with many things you've said I wouldn't insult the baseball knowledge 6+4+3=2.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 10:17 PM
  • Are the Cardinals likely to be as successful the next decade under new management now that the Jocketty / LaRussa veteran leadership / proven management style is out of the picture. That is the question.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 10:20 PM
  • Matheny has developed great relationships with the current roster and the farm system. The players love playing for him and he coaches baseball "new style," they'll do just fine.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Tue, Dec 25, 2012, at 12:23 AM

I miss the day when you had a pitchers' match: Bob Gibson's dominance and/or John Tutor with his 11 shutouts.

Herzog's fundamental baseball. Vince Colemans base stealing. When home run hitters were not juiced and the best you could do was Jack Clark's 28 home runs.

When a defensive shortstop could do the impossible and hit a home run.

Now you got to develop relationships with millionaires...and there aint nothing new about "new style"

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Tue, Dec 25, 2012, at 12:53 AM
  • I share the catfish philosophy. But I'm getting old I guess.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Dec 25, 2012, at 1:05 AM
  • Clark actually belted 35 one season.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Dec 25, 2012, at 8:11 AM
  • Does anyone know if Sikeston will still be playing in the St Dominic tournament tomorrow?

-- Posted by Sikeston fan on Tue, Dec 25, 2012, at 9:50 AM
  • BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON CST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PADUCAH HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON CST WEDNESDAY. THE BLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* SNOWFALL AMOUNTS: ACROSS SOUTHERN ILLINOIS... THE IMMEDIATE EVANSVILLE AREA... AND SOUTHWESTWARD ALONG THE OHIO RIVER INTO THE PURCHASE AREA OF WEST KENTUCKY... 8 TO 11 INCHES OF SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED. OVER SOUTHEAST MISSOURI 4 TO 8 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED. SOME LOCALIZED AREAS MAY SEE VERY INTENSE BANDING WHERE OVER A FOOT OF SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE.

* WINDS: WINDS TONIGHT WILL INCREASE TO AROUND 25 MPH... WITH FREQUENT GUSTS FROM 30 TO 40 MPH. THESE STRONG WINDS WILL PERSIST THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING. THE COMBINATION OF THESE GUSTY WINDS AND THE FALLING SNOW AND POSSIBLY BLOWING SNOW MAY REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO UNDER A QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.

* TIMING: SNOWS WILL GRADUALLY SPREAD NORTH AND EAST OVER THE REGION THROUGH THE EVENING. THE HEAVIEST SNOWS AND STRONGEST WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP BETWEEN MIDNIGHT TO 6 AM WEDNESDAY. CONDITIONS WILL BEGIN TO IMPROVE BETWEEN 8 AM AND NOON ON WEDNESDAY.

* IMPACTS: BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED. EXPECT TRAVEL TO BECOME VERY DIFFICULT OR IMPOSSIBLE. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW COULD MAKE ROADS IMPASSABLE THROUGH MUCH OF THE DAY WEDNESDAY. WHITEOUT CONDITIONS MAY CREATE A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION FOR THOSE VENTURING OUTDOORS. BLOWING SNOW MAY CONTINUE INTO WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON OVER PORTIONS OF THE AREA... SO THE WARNING MAY NEED TO BE EXTENDED INTO WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON... ESPECIALLY IN THE EAST.

* OTHER IMPACTS: THE HEAVY WET SNOW AND STRONG WINDS MAY BRING DOWN SOME TREES AND POWER LINES. IN ADDITION... SHOVELLING HEAVY WET SNOW HAS CAUSED HEART ATTACKS... BACK PROBLEMS... AND OTHER ISSUES IN PAST WINTER STORMS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS... MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET STRANDED... STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Dec 25, 2012, at 11:19 AM
  • Thats my question is Sikeston going to be able to play at St Dominic? Im having a hard time beleiving they will be able to make it up there tommorow.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 25, 2012, at 3:23 PM

If what I've been told is to be believed, they are leaving town at five tonight to make it up there.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 25, 2012, at 3:56 PM
  • Okay Dustin, you stand over here. Now bend over and face the wall. Everyone else...walk by one by one and give him a kiss on the part farthest from the wall and tell him you are sorry for the disparaging remarks about his weather reports. Merry Christmas to all.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Tue, Dec 25, 2012, at 6:36 PM
  • Heavy rain mixed with sleet falling in Kennett. There is some slushy accumulation on my driveway. I was traveling on Highway 25 from Dexter to Kennett at 6:30 p.m. Roads were wet, but clear.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Dec 25, 2012, at 7:31 PM
  • No games at Bloomfield today

-- Posted by Shank on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 5:11 AM
  • Pete , and then say thank you may I have another. Those of us who see dustin at work respect him , not only does bust his tail to be everywhere at once and cover it all , he is a good guy that takes alot of crap and usually does not dish it back . Ok dustin your on your own now and you can pay me later.

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 5:02 PM
  • Oh yea I almost forgot, "I agree with pete, well said"

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 5:05 PM
  • Do you take checks squawdad?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 6:26 PM

@6432 I would tell you that I would be fine with Holiday batting in any situation including what any average fan would consider "clutch". Clutch ness in all honesty isn't real or isn't a consistent enough trait to be quantifiable. Holiday is a great hitter in the 1st inning or the 9th inning. Also it should be noted that you can win a game as easliy in the early innings as you can in late because a run is run and it counts the same all the time.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 6:37 PM
  • Just one word to both Squawdad & Pete: switch.

-- Posted by DWinKenMO on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 7:10 PM

Clutchness isn't real or quantifiable. I honestly think you maybe the only one that believes that. Yes, you are right a run in the 1st or 2nd inning or a hit counts just the same, but baseball players are human beings, not robots. There are "real" things called pressure and nerves that tend to make certain at bats at certain times more diffulcult for some players and some other players tend to come thru more often than others. How many people remember Lance Berkman's 2 run homer in the early innings of Game 6 of the 2011 World Series? How many people remember his single in the 10th? Or remember Freese's hits? Timing is everything and unless you were a Rockies fan in 2007, I'm not sure you can name a ~^%>< hit that Holliday has come up with. I wanted to type clutch but I didn't want to use fictional, unquantifiable words. I like Holliday, but in my opinion I don't think he is ~^%>

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 7:20 PM

Hey 6432 I think you may be confused. I never stated the man was a robot or that baseball players don't feel pressure. I am saying that your average fan or ESPN talking heads put way to much value on it as a variable in equation known as the at bat. At bats are decided by the talent of a hitter vs the talent of a pitcher. I have seen Matt Holiday have plenty of late inning at bats where he got a hit or drew a walk. I think the big problem here is that Matt doesn't hit walk off HRs like a certain former Cardinal 1B. I have seen Albert strike out in the 9th even though we all excepted him as the most clutch hitter in baseball. Actually if you think about it if Berk was so clutch how come he didn't just hit a homer in Game 6 against Texas because clutch players always win the game at every opportunity.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 7:57 PM

I trust you know baseball well enough that coming thru every time in any situation never happens, it is a game of failure. But I think it's hard to argue that some guys just have that "it" factor in certain situations and some guys do not. Can I or anyone put our finger on why that is? No, but "it" exists. I honestly believe Holliday gets tight in pressure situations, can I say that with 100% confidence, no, but I've seen him look absolutley horrible at the plate in big at bats in big situations, miss a fly ball in game 3 of the 2010 NLDS, and completely run and hide from 2 fly balls that dropped in Game 6 of 2011 World Series and 2012 playoff game against Atlanta. So using those and other instances as my reference, I see a guy who tightens up under pressure. You apparently do not, so let's agree to disagree and just root him on an hope for the best next year and years to come

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 8:19 PM

I'm just saying that the strengths and weaknesses of Holiday's game like every other baseball player are present at all times. You are right Holiday is a horrible fielder and he always has been.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 8:30 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: